Copyright
Martha Jane Tenney.

The Tenney family, or, The descendants of Thomas Tenney of Rowley, Massachusetts, 1638-1904, revised with partial records of Prof. Jonathan Tenney online

. (page 1 of 63)
Online LibraryMartha Jane TenneyThe Tenney family, or, The descendants of Thomas Tenney of Rowley, Massachusetts, 1638-1904, revised with partial records of Prof. Jonathan Tenney → online text (page 1 of 63)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Gc
929.2

1129701 GENETALCGY COLLECTION



ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY



3 1833 00669 2161



Digitized by tine Internet Arcinive

in 2010 witin funding from

Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center



http://www.archive.org/details/tenneyfamilyor1904intenn



TENNEY




Tenney, Salsbury per Chevron, Sable, and Argent, three
Griffins' heads erased and countercharged.

Being translated signifies : Chevron means slanting from the
middle each way. Sahle means black. Argent means white. Griffin,
a fabled animal, a mixture of Lion and Eagle, denotes power. The
head, talons, wings, and claws were those of the Eagle; neck, body,
legs, and tail, of the Lion.

Erased means torn off. Counter-Charged means white heads
on black ground, and black heads on white ground.

Crest, Griffin's head, couped gules.

Coiiped means cut off as by one stroke of the sword. Gules
means Red : the crest must be red.



THE

TENNEY FAMILY

OR THE

DESCENDANTS OF THOMAS TENNEY

OF ROWLEY, MASSACHUSETTS

1638-1904

REVISED

WITH PARTIa'l records OF

PROF. JONATHAN TENNEY



By M. J. TENNEY



concord, n. h.

The Rumford Press

1904



Copyright, 1904, by M. J. Tenney.



The Tenxey Family.

REVISED.



1129701



DEDICATED

To THE Memory

OF

COL. A. B. W. TENNEY

AND HIS WIFE,

MRS. SOPHIA (CUTLER) TENNEY

BY A DAUGHTER.



Preface.



Remember the days of old, consider the years of many genera-
tions : ask thy father and he will shew thee ; thy elders, and they
will tell thee. — Deuteronomy 32 : 7.



Explanatory Notes.



The fii'st numbers indicate the incli%-iclual.

The Roman numerals indicate the generation.

The last numbers indicate the j^arent.

The star (*) indicates those whose genealogy can be traced.



THE TENNEY FAMILY.



Our English Home.



Our English home was Rowley on the Yorkshu-e Wolds, in the
East Riding (a Saxon word signifying thu-d) of the County of
Yorkshire, England. It is situated near the great waterway, the
river Humber, an estuary of the German Ocean, and is six miles
from its south bank, twenty miles from Spm-n-Head-at-the-Sea, and
three himdred feet elevation above the sea. It is 53° 34' north lati-
tude, 0° 10' west longitude, ten miles from the great commercial
port of Hull, which lies on the north bank of the river Humber, and
is the third port in England in size. It is six miles southwest of
Beverly, to which union of chiu'ches it belongs. In 1852 a letter
wiitten by a lawyer residing near Rowley, England, gives the fol-
lowing descrii^tion of the place :

" It is a hamlet containing about a dozen houses and some fifty or
sixty inhabitants who are engaged in agiiculture. It has neither
trade nor institutions ; with two other hamlets Hunsley and Bentley,
it constitutes a parish. It is delightfully situated on the top of
high hills called Yorkshire Wolds. It is noted as ha^dng a good
church prefennent, the living being worth about fifteen hundred
l^ounds per year, and is almost a sinecure as to labor performed.
Hence the gift is sought by clergy who desu-e leisure and good pay.
It is said that Rev. Ezekiel Rogers was a leading divine in England
in his day, and held charge at Rowley. It was probably a more
important place in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries than now
relatively.

" The parish has five hamlets embracing 5,760 acres : Little Weton,
where the chief part of the inhabitants live ; Riplingham, Hunsley,
Bentley, and Rowley, which has a church (St. Peter's) and a rec-
tory, but no inhabitants except the rector, Rev. Henry C. T. Hil-



O THE TEXNEY FAMILY.

yard and his family. He accepted the charge of the parish in 1852,
at which date the only church there, a very old, dilapidated struc-
ture, was restored by the rector on his going there to reside.

" The church is situated a few rods north of the road, one half
mile from the station on the Hull & Barnslay Railway, and about
thkty-one miles southeast of the old Roman capital, York."

In the summer of 1896 Mr. Willis R. Tenney VIII visited Row-
ley, and took a snap shot of the church which dates back five cen-
turies ; the tower is distinctly Norman ; a portion of the main build-
ing may date back a century earlier. In the church is an old stone
font of the twelfth century, and the workmanship is of much inter-
est. Mr. Tenney was taken about by the rector, Henry C. T. Hil-
yard, a well kept man, who died in September, 1898.

In 1638 Ezekiel Rogers and some twenty families of his parish-
ioners came over to New England. Their ship was the Jo/oi of
London. Rev. Joseph Glover, the " Father of the American Press,"
was a fellow passenger, bringing the first printing-press ever shipped
to America. The good man " reached his port before the ship made
land " ; but his press came, and is still preserved. (By J. L. Ewell,
JV. E. Magazine, September, 1899, Vol. XXI, Xo. 1, page 9.) This
is corroborated by the best authority. The late Hiram Harriman, of
the Georgetoion Adoocate, informed me that he had carefully inves-
tigated the above-named matter and that he was satisfied the state-
ment was true.

I accepted it from him as true and believe it true. (George B.
Blodgette, Esq., historian of Rowley, Mass.)

Rev. Ezekiel Rogers was a man of learning, very devout, pos-
sessed of much zeal, and felt keenly the religious persecution of
King Charles' order to the clergy to read in church the declaration
of sports, in which the king du-ected that no hindrance should be
thrown in the way of those who wished to dance or shoot at the
butts (a target) on Sunday afternoon. Puritan Rogers, aggrieved at
this and other persecutions, gathered to him in the parish of Rowley
a company, Thomas Tenney and his wife, Ann, formed one family,
for the purpose of emigrating to America, and succeeded in leaving
England in the autumn of 1638. They arrived at Salem, Mass., in
December, 1638, where the company decided to remain during the
winter and seek a settlement. In April, 1639, the company were
joined by forty families, making sixty families.



GENEALOGY. 9

A settlement was made at Rowley, Mass.; the place was probably
selected on account of its pleasantness, its nearness to the river, and
the abundance of thatch that grew upon the river banks. In colon-
izing they formed a community under the direction of then- spmtual
leader, Rev. Mr. Rogers, known as the Rogers Plantation ; after-
wards, 4 Sept., 1639, the General Court ordered that the " planta-
tion shalbee called Rowley." (Mass. Colony Records, Vol. 1, p.
271.)



Generation,



I.

Thomas Texxey, a member of the Rev. Ezekiel Rogers' com-
l>any from Yorkshire, England, arrived at Salem, Mass., in December,
1638, and settled at Rowley, Mass., in April, 1639. (Gage's Hist.
Rowley.) In a deposition taken at Ipswich, Mass., 4 May, 1680,
Mr. Tenney testifies in relation to an ox pastm-e in Rowley, and at
that date he gave his age as about sixty-six years. (Ipswich Deeds^
4 : 329.) This would have made him twenty-four years old when
he emigi'ated to America with his wife, Ann, who was mentioned in
the Avill of Deacon Thomas Mighill, as sister "Ann Tenney " and
Faith Parrat, Sen., said will dated 11 June, 1654. Deacon Mighill
of Rowley, Mass., brought with him, wife Ellen, who was bm-ied
12 July, 1640, and the first person buried there. He married (2) Ann
Parrat, sister to Francis Parrat, who brought with him, besides his
wife, Elizabeth, his sisters, Ann, who married Dea. Thomas MighUl,.
and Faith, who married John Smith, and (2) William Law (Early
Settlers of Rowley).

Mrs. Tenney was buried 26 Sept., 1657. He married 24 Feb.^
1658, his second wife, Elizabeth, widow of Francis Parrat of
Rowley.

It does not appear that they had children. Mrs. Elizabeth Ten-
ney received by bequest of Rev. Ezekiel Rogers £10 in 1660-1
(Essex Deeds, Ipswich, 168). In the will of Robert Hunter, viz.,
"to Thomas Tenney I give 10 s, dated 5, 6 mo., 1647: proved 28, 7,
1647 (Ipswich Record, Vol. 1, leaf 25), Thomas Tenney, a witness
to the will of John Smith of Rowley, 13 July, 1661 : on file Xo.
22590, used only one e in Tenny."

A siirvey of the town of Rowley was ordered the 10 of the 11th
month, A. D., 1643 ; a committee of four freemen were appoiuted.
Freemen were members of the chvirch, taxpaj'ers, voters, could hold
office, and they only until 1664, when the law was abolished by the
General Com-t.



GENEALOGY. 11

In this siu'vev of 1643 an acre-and-a-lialf house-lot on Hohnes
sti-eet was registered to Thomas Tenney, " bounded on the south
side by John Haseltine's house-lot, and the east end by the streete."
(Gage, 123.) It was bounded on the north side by the two-acre
house-lot of Robert Haseltine. This lot is now owned and occupied
by the Primes, having been pm-chased of Daniel Tenney by Mark
Prime in 1701, and has had a store thereon ever since. It is now
bounded on the south by the homestead of George B. Blodgette>
Esq. The house erected by Thomas Tenney, Senior, was torn
down by Captain Daniel Js'. Prime in 1838. " In a Survey of the
Several Gates or Commonages belonging vnto The Several! Inhabi-
tants of the Town of Rowley as They are now in possession," taken
1 February, 1661, are the following entries to Thomas Tenney and
his wife, Elizabeth : —
" To Thomas Tenney as to an acre and halfe lot and one

gate given by the towne, two and halfe . . . 2-halfe.
piu-chased of fi-ancis parrat, one gate .... 1-gate.

pm-chased of the town, one halfe gate .... halfe gate.
To EUzabeth Tenney aUias parrat, as belonging to

francis pan-at's two two Acre lot, seaven gates vnsold 7 Gates.
purchased of WiUiam hobson Sixe gates ... 6 gates."

In 1667, by di\dsion of the Island marshes, he received land.
(Gage, 150-1.) In 1670, by division of jVIerrimack land, he re-
ceived land. (Gage, 347-8.) In a division of 1673-4 he received
land. (Gage, 138.) There was no settlement on the lot northwest
of Simon's Brook imtil after the day of Thomas Tenney, Senior.
(Blodgette.) This lot is one half mile east of Long Jlill.

The town in Oct. 22, 1677, records style him ensign, marshal in
1653-66 ; warner of town meetings, 1650-53-60-61-66 ; overseer of
plains, 1656-64-71 ; selectman, 1660-61-70 ; viewer of fences, high-
ways, and chimneys, 1669; constable, 1665-66; tithingman, 1680.
In 1660, on committee to see about the preservation of fire wood.
(Gage, p. 144.) 1674-77, concerned in the affans of Rev. Mr.
Shepard. (Gage, p. 76.) In 1667, appointed to see that the Sabbath
be duly observed. (Gage, p. 151.) In 1680 appointed inspector of
ten families. (Gage, p. 152.) Several records of intervening years are
lost, and there are no records of admission to the church for a period
of twenty-six years. The church record may have been lost in the
conllasri'ation of Rev. Mr. Rogers' house. Thomas Tenney is in the



12 THE TENNEY FAMILY.

list of church members under date of 1669, and may have been long
a member. The last years of his life Avere passed in Bradfoi'd,
JMass., as seen by deed, A'iz. : " Thomas Tenney of Bradford (a gift)
to Eldest son John Tenney of Bradford, sixty acres of land in
Bradford, now in possession of John Wood, also three acres of
meadow at Crane Pond in Rowley, also six acres . . . also one
and one fourth acre . . . also six acres and 2 cow-gates."
Dated 15 June, 1694. (Essex Deeds, 13 : 119.) He died in Brad-
ford 20 February, 1699-1700, and is buried in the Old Cemetery.

This old burying ground was used in the first settlement of the
town, and remained the only cemetery until 1723, when the East
parish (now the town of Groveland) bui-ial-ground was opened.
The oldest stone now standing and decipherable bears the date
of 1681. (L. A. Woodbury, Essex Antiquarian, Feb., 1901.)
Children :

2 *Joliu, b. 14 Dec, 1640.

3 *Hauuah, b. 15 March, 1642.

4 *Mercy, b. 17 June, 1644.

5 *Tliomas, b. 16 July, 1648.

6 *James, b. 15 Aug., 1650.

7 *Daniel, b. 16 July, 1653.

Note. — Rowle}', Mass., is situated thirt^^-two miles from Boston,
via Eastern Railroad, with a station about one mile eastward from
the village. It received its name from Rowley, Yorkshire, England,
where the Rev. Ezekiel Rogers and some of his peojile had lived.
It was incorporated the 4th of September, 1639, and then embraced
Bradford, Groveland, Georgetown, and B oxford. Most of the " by-
laws and orders" were passed in 1643 and a few of a later date in
1660.

" Ordered : That all town streets be four rods wide, three rods to
be kept clear of impediments, on a penalty of 5s. Ordered : That
no person in the town shall faU, lop, bark, or gu-dle any tree on
north or northwest side of any house or house-lot in the town within
eighty rods thereof, upon the penalty of 5s. for every tree. Ordered :
All persons appointed by overseers for town day work shall be
ready at seven o'clock in the morning. In case of failure he shall
pay 3d. an hour for lost time. Ten acres of land granted, for
encouragement towards building a grist mill."

A fulling mill was built about 1643. A plain meeting house was
erected and church was organized the 3d of December, 1639-



m


IHF


f^


n


icL^-.A


^


f ■ ^


m


^M


^Pi


ra '


M




wBiii


^1


." "-^


^^r


^■-■^tW'


■«






— ^i"*- j


H






Hk^-v__, 1


K^M


■ . V'J












^^-7-Trf~


■I


i


/Voiai^


|b|


II '


i'



Mgii




*j«






GENEALOGY. 13

(Hist. Essex, 356.) The earliest mention of a meeting house bell
was in 1658, and this bell was suspended from a fi-ame near the
meeting house. (Gage, 17.) And for sweeping the meeting house
and for ringing of the bell, was gi'anted a yearly appropriation of
£2.10s.

The earliest mention of a school was February 3, 1656-7, when
"William Boynton was engaged as a teacher for the term of seven
years. He taught about twenty-four years. (Hist. Essex.) The
earliest tax list preserved bears the date "ye 9th of Jvine, 1691";
the first recorded marriage, 1639. The first physician in the town
was in 1652. In 1680 there were one hundred and twenty-nine
families in town. (ISTason.) The town records are very full and
complete. Xot a leaf is missing from the books containing the
entries of bhths, mari'iages, and deaths. (Hist. Essex Co.)

From the beginning, Rowley was a manufacturing as well as a
farming town. Many of the first settlers were weavers, and, in
connection with the fulling mill, the production of cloth was long
a profitable industry. As early as 1680, ship-building was carried
on at the warehou^se landing.

About 1813, Capt. Perley built a vessel of ninety tons' measiire-
ment, on Rowley Common, one mile and a half from the river.
This ship was named " Country's Wonder," and was drawn to
the river, in one day, by more than one hundred yoke of oxen.
At the head of the warehouse road, the teamsters stopped for lunch^
and Capt. Perley emptied a barrel of old Jamaica rum into the
Saunders well, that all might drink. (Blodgette.)

2.-II.-1.

Deacox John Texj^^ey, born in Rowley, Mass., 14 December
1610, son of Thomas and Ann ( ); married in Rowley 26 Feb-
ruary, 1663, Mercy Parrat, daughter of Francis and Elizabeth

( ) Parrat of Rowley. Mrs. Tenney was born 23 July, 1616,

and died 27 jSTovember, 1667. He married in Menlmack Village
(now Bradford, Mass.) 2 December, 1668, his second wife, Susanna

Woodbury, daughter of Humphrey and Elizabeth ( ) Woodbury

of Beverly, Mass. Residence, Bradford, Mass. Mrs. Susanna
Tenney was born 4 February, 1648. She was "dismissed from ye
Church of Christ in Beverly " and united with the First Congrega-
tional Church at Bradford in 1682-3. (Church Manual.) For a



14 THE TEXXEY FAMILY.

copy of the will of her mother, Elizabeth Woodbury, see Essex
Hist. Col., Vol. lY., p. 235 ; and by said will Susanna Tenney
received " 20s., to be laid out in a gold ring, to be kept by her in
remembrance." Inventory on "Woodbury estate taken 28 August,

1680, the amount being £64.2s. Mrs. Susanna Tenney died 9 April,
1716. "Her lieth the body of Susanah Tney who died Aprall; the
9, 1716; and in the 68 yeare: of her age." Bradford Ancient
Biu-ying Ground.

At the first town meeting 20 Feb., 1668-9, John Tenney served
as moderator and was chosen selectman, again selectman 1676-
78-80-82-86-87-88-92-93-96-98; in 1668 clerk of writs; in 1673,

1681, 1698, constable, and in 1670 fence -^dewer (Gage). The town
was first called Bradford in 1672; in 1677 John Tenney served on
the school committee.

In 1682 John Tenney was one of the 18 who formed the first
chm-ch under Rev. Zachariah Symmes (Gage, 107). His name
appears first in the list of deacons, chosen 13 Dec, 1 702 ; in 1670,
sent to attend the ordination at Amesbury, Mass. ; in 1698, appointed
to settle the boundary between Bradford and Rowley.

He was in 1701 chairman of the committee of the proprietors of
Bradford, to adjust the claims of the heirs of Musquonomonit alias
Masehonnomet, Indian Sagamore of Agawam (Gage, 373-77).

As early as 12 December, 1682, at "a private Fast held at the
house of Brother John Tenney," an instrument was drawn prepar-
atory to the gathering of a church, and from time to time brothers
were nominated to provide elements for the Lord's Supper. Mr.
Tenney served on a committee "for ye good of ye town as to
settling ye Reverend Zachariah Symmes, and for the further cany-
ing on the affairs of this town for a settlement of all ye ordinances
of God in this place." (Church Manual.) Voted by the town,
28 June, 1705, that Captain David Haseltine and Ensign John
Tenney go abroad to inquire after assistance in the work of the
ministry. He served on a committee " for ye healing of differences
in ye church," and " votes were overhaled by Brother John Tenney
and Brother John Kimball." Again the 16 August, 1706, he was
chosen " to ti-eat with the Rev. Mr. S^Tumes to see what he would
abate of his salary." Deacon Tenney was one of " a committee of
three to manage that affair of calUng a council, 4 November, 1707."
Voted by the town, 14 June, 1708, that Deacon Tenney, with the



GENEALOGY. 15

Other two deacons, " go and invite the Rev. Mr. Thomas Synimes to
come and jDreach." From this date, his name disappears from
church committee^.

Edward Hazen and wife Hannah of Rowley, for the consideration
of £50 from John Tenney of Rowley, deeded one himdred acres in
INIerrimack land southeast of Merrimack river, also four acres of
meadow in Crane meadow, etc., the 20 May, 1664. (Ipswich Deeds,
4:41.) Witnesses, Ezekiel Jewett and Thomas Tenney.

He and wife Susanna, for the consideration of £70, deed to James
Tenney of Rowley six acres and some meadow land that was for-
merly owned by Thomas Tenney, Senior. Samuel Tenney, a wit-
ness; date, 1690. (Essex Deeds, 14:232.) By deed, he transfers
meadow in Crane meadow in Rowley, 1 December, 1690. (Essex
Deeds, 14 : 282.)

Again, by deed, " to my only son, Samuel Tenney, of Bradford,
all land in Rowley and Bradford belonging to my estate, reserving
only one-half during the life of self and wife." Dated 22 October,
1691. Thomas Tenney, Junior^ a witness. Acknowledged 9 Jul}',
1696. (Essex Deeds, 13 : 237.) John Tenney and wife Susanna of
Bradford deed to James Tenney of Rowley in 1690. Acknowl-
edged, 29 August, 1696. (Essex Deeds, 14:233.) Mrs. Margaret
Corwin of Boston, Mass., for the vakie of £120, conveys by deed
seventy or eighty acres of salt marsh at Plum Island in Rowley to a
syndicate of ten men, of which John Tenney is one. Date 2 March,
1694-5. (Essex Deeds, 16 : 43.)

Deposition of Francis Jewett and James D. Palmer, that John
Tenney hath quietly possessed a hundred acre lot conveyed by deed
13 : 118, valuation £70, from 10 August, 1688, to 17 March, 1712-
13. (Essex Deeds, 26 : 128.)

The name of John Tenney is fou.nl in "ye garrison at Blackport,
Maine," (Bodge) under date 12 October, 1676, and, under Captain
Scottow, the 12 October, 1677-8. He died 13 April, 1722. (Ameri-
can Ancestiy.) Children :

8 *Sarah b. 17 Oct., 1665; bapt. 8 Jan., 1666.

9 *Samuel, b. 20 Nov. 1667; bapt. 23 Nov., 1687.

Note. — The first clnu-ch in Bradford, Mass., was built in 1671,
rebuilt 1706-1750-1834-1848. " Voted, at a legal Town meeting
March, 1682-3, in thankfuUness, we covenant and promise to give



16 THE TENXEY FAMILY.

our ^Minister ye full sum of sixty pounds per annum ; ye first half
made payable the 2d Thursday of October, in wheat, pork, butter
and cheese, one pound of butter for every cow, and one cheese from
a family ; ye other half payment the 3d Thiirsday in March in malt,
pease, Indian or rye, as he Avillingly accept ; and at our own charge
we procure good and sufficient fire wood, he allowing a sixpence per
cord for bringing it seasonably and cording it up in his yard. He
shall also have the liberty to feed ten head of Cattle on common
land as our own." "Voted 21 March, 1698, to pay one third of
Rev. Mr. Spnmes' salary in money, and in March, 1713, voted all
salary for the future be paid in money." " Voted 19 Xovember, 1714,
one pound and six shillings for sweeping the meeting house, and
carrying the bason with water for baj^tisms." October, 1699, one
hundred brothers contributed " a sixpence apiece to procure another
flagon and cup, a bason and wooden vessel for the fetching of wine."
At the first sacrament, administered at Bradford, 21 November,
1682-3, the text that Sabbath " handled " was fi'om Jeremiah 50 : 4,
5. Two hundred and thirty-four communed 11 January, 1723-4.
That same month the church voted that " sleeping in meeting, and
especially the laying down the head to sleep, is a very great in-
decency, and if any should do so, they should be reproved, and if
they reformed not, they should be publickly called fourth." " Voted :
The Selectmen have three rules in seating persons in the meeting
house. 1st, have respect to age ; 2d, have respect to voters ; 3d, have
respect to the length of time in ye town. Goodman Spofford to have
the liberty to set in fourth seat from pulpit, and his wife to sit in
third seat in Xorth East corner. Those not taking then- places
shall pay five shillings a day for every public day at meeting."

Annexations of the toAvn of Bradford, to the city of Haverhill,
Mass., voted 3 Nov. 1896, shall take effect on the first Monday of
January, 1897.

3.-II.-1.

Hannah Texxey, born in Rowley, Mass., 15 March, 1642, daugh-
ter of Thomas and Ann ( ) ; married in 1666, Joseph John-
son, son of William and Elizabeth (Story) of Charlestown, Mass.
He was baptized 12 (12), 1636-7, and married 19 April, 1664, his
first wife, Mary (Loatlie), who died 22 March, 1664-5 (Wyman 555.)

In 1681, Mr. Johnson and wife Hannah deeded "to brother Isaac
Johnson all right in father's and mother's estate," recorded 1685.



GENEALOGY. IV

Residence, Haverhill, Mass., where the valuation of his house-lot in
1650 was £50.

By a "fourth diA-ision" of meadow he received land, and in 1667
received " accommodation " lot of two acres. (Hist, of Haverhill.)
He was one of the petitioners for a schoolhouse in 1711, and served
as tithingman and a viewer of fences for the northern farms.

He died 18 Xovember, 1714. The church record "being either
never set down, or else the account lost, such of them as were alive
in ye Town, April, 1723, were desired to give in then- names to ye
Pastor, they being, Hanah Jonson and forty other names." Chil-
dren :

10 Joseph b. 15 Oct., 1667.

11 WilUam b. 15 Jan., 1669.
13 Thomas, b. 11 Dec, 1670.

13 Zachariah, b. 16 April, 1672; d. 27 Oct., 1679.

U John, b. 9 Xov., 1673; d. 23 Mch., 1705.

15 Hannah, b. 10 June, 1675.

16 Mary, b. 4 June, 1677; m. 17 May, 1697, John Johnson.

17 Jonathan, b. 24 Apr., 1678; killed by Indians.

18 Elizabeth, b. 28 Feb., 1680.

19 Xathaniel, b. 15 Aug., 1683.

20 Zachariah, b. 26 Aug., 1687.

4.— II.— 1.

Mekcy Texxet, born in Rowley, Mass., 17 June, 1644, daughter

of Thomas and Ann ( ) ; married in Rowley, 22 Xov., 1664,

Thomas Hardy (Jr. until after IQl'I). Thomas Hardy, Sen., owned
about a thousand acres in Bradford, now Groveland, Mass. Resi-
dence, Bradford. She united with the Fhst Congregational chm-ch
in Bradford, 4 Xov., 1694. He united with the same chm-ch,

12 July, 1713. He died 6 Feb., 1716, aged 82. Children :

21 Ann, b. 26 Apr., 1666.

22 James, b. 13 Feb., 1672.

23 Daniel, b. 2 Apr., 1675.

24 Jacob, b. 25 Mch., 1677 ; united with the church with his wife

Sarah, Apr., 1709.

25 Richard, b. 22 Sept., 1679 ; united with church 28 July, 1728.

26 Ebeuezer, b. 3 May, 1682 ; d. July, 1682.

27 Isaac, b. 19 Aug., 1683 ; united with churoJi 28 May, 1716.

28 Hannah, b. 4 Oct., 1686 ; bapt. 25 Juue, 1695.



Online LibraryMartha Jane TenneyThe Tenney family, or, The descendants of Thomas Tenney of Rowley, Massachusetts, 1638-1904, revised with partial records of Prof. Jonathan Tenney → online text (page 1 of 63)