Mass. All Souls Unitarian church. Branch alliance Roxbury.

The Roxbury magazine, pub. by the Branch alliance of the All Souls Unitarian church, Roxbury, Mass online

. (page 1 of 7)
Online LibraryMass. All Souls Unitarian church. Branch alliance RoxburyThe Roxbury magazine, pub. by the Branch alliance of the All Souls Unitarian church, Roxbury, Mass → online text (page 1 of 7)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Rnnfc .rr-jjff/i



The Rozbury Magazine




When in doubt
Buy of Osgood



LINUS D. DRURY, Ph.G.,

. . . Pharmaceutical Chemist,

148 Dudley Street, corner Warren,

ROXBURY, MASS.




OXBURY'5

ELIABLE

GOFERS



WILLI AHS & DALY, ... 180 Dudley Street

Telephone, 271-2 Roxbury.



The Roxbury Mas:azine



American Insurance Company

OF BOSTON.

OFFICE. 30 Kilby Street




Liabilities, .
Surplus, .
Capital Stock,



$172,149.77
•77t007.66
300,000.00



Qroas Assets )«/-„.
Dec. 31.1898 ) $649,157-43



Henry S. Bean,

Secretary.



Francis Peabody,

President.



Reserved,




The Roxbory Magazine



R R PUTNAM,

APOTHECARY and CHEMIST,

31 School Street, cor. Gty HaU Avenue,
2i2t "Washingfton St., opp. Eustts Street,
> jt jt ^ jt BOSTON, jt jt ^ j» jt

Telephones:

Boston, Putnam's Qty HaU Drug Store,

and Roxbury 308.


FRED T. BRIDGE,

School for Dancing
and Deportment ^

Walnut Hall, 203 "Warren Street, J- Roxbury.

Next Beg:inners, Monday, February 20,
and March 20.

Advanced Oast, Friday evening.
Children's Class, Saturday, 2 P.M.
Private lessoni daily, jt jIt jIt Jt

P.S.- This is a select school. No bluff. Give us a call.
Yours truly, F. T. BRIDGE.


G«. B. Fau„«. EsUblished 186J. Chas. M. F.on«.

Geo. B. Faunce & Son,

Agents for the pufchase,
sale, and care of

Real Estate and General

Insurance Agents,

2385 Washington Street,
Boston Hig^hlands.


First-class goods at moderate prices .^ .j*

Dale Street
Bakery ^

J6 Dale Street Telephone 413-2

339 Warren Street Telephone 4J3J

2707 Washingfton Street . . Telephone 4J3-4
28J0 Blue Hill Avenue . . . Telephone 6J3-2


FRANCIS A. NORTON,

Dealer in

FURNACES,
STOVES, and
RANGES.

All kinds of Sheet Metal Vorfc done in a practical manner.

Special attention given to Furnace Heating,

Ventilation, and Smoky Chimneys.

Furnace and Stove Repairs.

Orders for jobbing: promptly attended to.

34-36 ROXBURY STREET,
BOSTON.


W, H» Hervey & Company,

DeaWs in

FURNITURE and
CARPETS. ^J^^

HOUSEHOLD GOODS SOLD ON
INSTALMENTS.

5 Union Street, cor. North,
BOSTON,



The Roxbory Magazine



Don't



Neglect a cough or cold during these sudden
changes in the climate. Many die weekly from
diseases which commenced with a cough. If it is
serious, consult your family doctor; if only a
slight attack, our

White Pine Cough Syrup

Will quickly stop it.
Pleasant to take. . .

Price, 25 cents per bottle,

AT

Pierce's Pharmacy, 3i6Shawniut Ave.

Opposite Union Park.



Dt. W. R, Sawyer,
"Dentist

Hall Building, 646 Warren Street.

Hours) 9 to 12, 1 to 5.




The Roxbory Magfazine



TELEPHONE, ROXBURY




Q



Telephona,
Roxbury 4S2-2,



■■^ 394 Warren St., Cor. Savin,
Roxbury.



E. W. JORDAN,

roceries and

Provisions,



Fresh Fish and Oysters.

Agent for Nobscvt Spring Water.



661 Warren St. and 5 Georgia St.,
GROVE HALL.



N. A. ETTER,:



Carpenter and
Builder,

87 Warren Street, ROXBURY, MASS.



Jobbing promptly attended to.

Telephone, 436-2 Roxbury.



INORFOUK

HOUSE

CASIINO



Bowling Alleys

FOUK Will be let to parties from

ALLEYS. « *» '»-^»



SUPPER CAN BE FURNISHED
IF DESIRED.



Telephone, 646-3 Roxbury.

A. JOHNSON,

Uphol^sterer,

STEAH CARPET CLEANINQ.

473 Blue Hill Avenue,

GROVE HALL. ^

623 Washington Street,
'** DORCHESTER.



Lane & Rowell,

Tailors,

1 5 Bromfield Street, Boston.



The Roxbury Mag^azine



Philadelphia Ice Cream Co.,



ISO Tremont St.,
BOSTON.



ICE CREAHS and SHERBETS.



Families, fairs, and parties supplied. Delivered to all parts of the city, Highlands, and Brookline free.
Orders received by mail, express, and Telephone, Oxford 582.



E. n. LAWS.



Proprietor.



The Warren Fish Market.

WILLIAM C. EICHORN,



Fresh and Salt Fish, Oysters, Clams, Lobsters, etc.

No. 163 Warren Street, No. 367 Warren Street,
BOSTON HIGHLANDS.




Orders ciUtd tor and delivered promptly.



Telephone, Roxbury.



ARTHUR McARTHUR & CO.,

16-26 CornhiU,
Two doors from Washing^ton Street.

Furniture and Carpets

in the greatest variety,
at the lowest prices. j»



LEWIS A. MANN,
Funeral Director and Embalmer,

146 DUDLEY STREET, cor. WARREN,
BOSTON.
Office open day and night.

Telephone, Roxbury 894-2.

CHARLES R. DANE,
FLORIST,

'^"aRccHHouti. 2023 Washington Street.

We carry a very large stock of Roses, Pinks,
Violets and other cut flowers. Out floral work not
excelled anywhere.

2023 Washington Street,

Ttl.=PHO«, 67» Rox.u.Y. ^^^^ MADISON,



Richard Addison,

Provisions and Groceries,

212 Shawmut Ave., BOSTON,

CORMCR DOVER STREET.

GEO. B. GRANT & CO.,

Coal and "Wood,

301 HARRISON AVENUE, cor. MOTTE STREET,
BOSTON.
Telephone, Tremont 287.
Wharf, No. 1 Commercial Wharf.

Best Qualities Family Coal.

THE HOME BAKERY,

414 BLUE HILL AVE.

(niar oivon •trkt.)



All our goods are home-made, baked on the premises.
Baked Beans and Steamed Brown Bread Saturday night
and Sunday morning.



The Roxbury Mag^azine



ESTABLISHED 1842.



The . . .
High-grade



5tieff Pianos



Have acquired a reputation.
Quality did it. Jt Ji Jt J. Jt



The Stieff Piano is strongly endorsed by many of the leading artists throughout the United States.

QARDINER & OSGOOD,

Eastern Representatives,

156 A Tremont Street, Boston.



97/artin jC. Cate



^ir», JCife, 9/^ar/n», i^ents, jCeases, ^Profits,
Jiceidgnt, Cmploi/ers' and jCandlords' jCiabilUi/,
"Ueam Owners', iPlaie Slass, and ^ury/ary. . ,



iDsorance of all kinds
Real Estate and Mortgages

4 Liberty Sq., Boston.

Telephone, 3287 Boston.

2389 Washington St.,
Roxbury.

Telephone, 286 Roxbury.



Roxbury Latin School,

(Founded 1645.)

BOSTON, MASS.
William C. Collar, Head-master.

The Trustees announce that they have purchased a
pleasant and commodious house near the school grounds,
which they will place in charge of one of the masters, Mr.
Famham, as a home for boys from a distance, who may be
sent to prepare for Harvard or other colleges.

For boys who live with Mr. Farnham, the Trustees
feel that they can assure the advantages of a refined home
and a good school. In addition certain other educational
privileges, in which Boston is so rich, will be made avail-
able. Parents who intend to travel, but wish the education
of their sons to be carried on under the best safeguards,
are advised to consider this opportunity.

For the few vacancies that will remain after all quali-
fied Roxbury boys have been received, the Trustees desire
to draw to the school only boys of excellent character and
good home training; and boys under fifteen will be given
the preference.

By order

James De Normandie, D.D.,
President of Trustees.
For further information, address

O. M. Farnham,

Roxbury Latin School,
Boston, Mass.



Fine Catering in
its branches.




Ice-
creams
and Ices,
Table Deli-
cacies.
Fresh Straw-
berries are in, and
are now being used
all our Ices.



Talbot Ave., Dorchester.



Telephone, Dorchester 256.



The Roxbury Magfazine



C. D. Swain
& Co.,

(jrocers,

Storage for Furniture aod
Household Goods.

No. 2364

Washington St.,

Boston, Mass.



A Card.

The undersigned, formerly of
the firm of A. H. Howe & Com-
pany and later of Henderson &
Pretto, desires to announce that
he has leased the store 2345
Washington Sh-eet, in Rockland
Bank Building, where he will be
pleased to welcome friends and
patrons after March 1. A com-
plete line of fine and medium
grade footwear will be carried,
and special attention will be
given to those who have diffi-
culty in getting a comfortable
shoe.

R. W. HENDERSON.



Electric Lighting.^
H. A. Holder,

Electrician.

Telephones,
Electric Motors and
Ventilating Fans,
Electric Bells and
Speaking Tubes,
Electric Door Locks
and Openers.

i8 Avery Street, Boston, Mass.

45 Warren Street,

Roxbury, Mass.




The housekeepers of Roxbury are cordially invited
to call and examine our line of Groceries, and see if
we do not keep as good a quality as is sold in Boston.

We have a full line of Tin and Pearl Agate ware for
kitchen use.

We receive Eggs every Wednesday, which we war-
rant FRESH, and are agents for the sale of the famous
Thetford Creamery Butter, in prints and five
and ten pound packages, which we receive every
Thursday direct. Try them.

L. W. & H. F. HORSE CO.,

Nos. 1-5-9 Walnut Avenue, and

norse Brothers, No. 479 Blue HUI Avenue.



THE ROXBURY
M AGAZ I N E



PUBLISHED BY THE

BRANCH ALLIANCE
ALL SOULS UNITARIAN CHURCH

ROXBURY, MASS.



'99



BOSTON

GEO. H. ELLIS, PRINTER, 272 CONGRESS STREET






Ji^ix



CONTENTS,

PACK

Frontispif.ce, Scarboro Ponu, Franklin Pakk.

Franklin Park Hon. Edwin Upton Curtis 5

First Church and John Ei.iot Rev. James De Normandie, D.D. 7

Gilbert Stuart Polly R. Hollingsworth 12

The Pudding-stone Rev. Henry T. Secrist 14

The Roxbury Latin School William C. Collar 15

Poem, Santa Claus Rev. Albert H. Plumb, D.D. 17

Famous Men Moses Grant Daniell 18

Selections from "Beyond the Grave" . . Bishop Randolph S. Foster, D.D. 22

Hymn : Hallowed be Thy Name Rev. Tlieodore C. Williams 23

Roxbury in 1775 Rev. Edivard Everett Hale, D.D. 24

Ben Adhem House Caroline S. Atheiton 27

Some Roxbury Institutions Edward B. Lane, M.D. 28

Mrs. James Guild CatJiarine O. Sumner 30

Prevalent Poetry Charles Fallen Adams 31

Landmarks L. Foster Morse 32

Letter from Rev. Lvm.vn Abbott, D.D Rev. Lyman Abbott, D.D. ^6

Poem, Limitation Lillian G. Shuman 37

Clubs . . . Hon. Horace G. Allen, Ida E. Hnnneman, Chas. F. Withitigton, M.D. 38

Brook Farm Rev. William H. Lyon, D.D. 41

M. V. A. A. Work in Roxbury E. H. Bradford, M.D. 43

Reminiscences P. R. H. 44

Military Organizations Hon. William L. Oliu 46

All Souls Church Mary S. Pliilbrick 47




FRANKLIN PARK.

[NE of the features of the general scheme for park development pro-
posed by the first Board of Park Commissioners in 1876 was a large
park in West Roxbury. The commission, fortunately, in this park,
as well as in the whole park system of the city, had the advice of
Mr. Frederick Law Olmsted, the eminent landscape architect, and
his associates ; and to their well-developed plan, so carefully thought
out, in advance is due the beauty of design which becomes more and
more apparent as the plan develops from year to year.

Franklin Park was first called West Roxbury Park on account
of its location; but the name was changed in January 1882. The change was made,
not simply with the object of honoring one of the nation's greatest men, a resident of
Boston, but also because it was at that time proposed to use a portion of the Franklin
Fund when it became available in 1891 for the payment of the park loan. But on account
of legal objections or for other reasons this was not carried out.

The land for Franklin Park was taken in 1883 and 1884. The cost of the land was
more than g 1,500,000. The area is 527 acres.

In its landscape Franklin Park is a great natural park, with woodland, rocky hills,
meadows, and ponds. It affords to many a resident of the near-by city an opportunity to
view a little rural scenery which possibly he would never see, had it not been provided by
the forethought of the city authorities ; and the many visitors of all ages and classes on
a warm Saturday afternoon or Sunday in summer attest its popularity.

Those who enjoy driving, find in its ten miles of smooth roads, an opportunity for
pleasure free from the noise and bustle of the usual city streets, while those who choose
the saddle are provided with something over two miles of bridle path suitable for this
class of sport. Its roads also make it a paradise for the bicycle rider ; and on a pleasant
day or evening in spring or fall thousands of these noiseless machines may be counted,
the smiling faces of their riders attesting their enjoyment. For those who, from neces-
sity or preference, choose to roam about the park on foot, have been provided some
twenty miles of walks, which wind around and over the hills and valleys to many pleasant
and sheltered nooks where the pedestrian may rest, and, while resting, feast his eyes on
the moving throng in the roadways or upon a pretty bit of scenery.

In the northern section of the park is the Playstead, a level piece of ground of thirty
acres, where the school-boy finds splendid opportunity for athletic recreation ; and, in
season, one may see several games of base-ball or foot-ball going on at the same time
without interfering one with the other. On the southerly side of the Playstead is the
Overlook, which forms an elevated terrace, eight hundred feet long, for spectators. This
terrace, built of the stones taken from the Playstead, with its irregular front covered with
vegetation, forms a beautiful background for the level playground.

Beyond Glen Road, the traffic street across the park, is the " Country Park," almost
H mile square. Here everything is natural as far as possible, and consistent with public



6 Franklin Park

use, the roads and paths being merely for convenience in crossing to the various points of
interest. Here nothing of an artificial or decorative nature intrudes itself upon the vision.
The woods in the Country Park are much used for picnics, while on the level places are
lawn tennis courts. Lately golf links have been provided, and are much used. The grass
is kept at a proper length by a fine flock of sheep, which, in addition to their usefulness,
afford a never-ending source of amusement to young and old, who alike take pleasure in
watching the sheep and their attendant and intelligent guardian, the shepherd dog.

Located in the Country Park is Schoolmaster's Hill, so called because near by was
the home of Schoolmaster Ralph Waldo Emerson. On this hill is the " pergola," a place
provided with tables and seats for lunch-basket parties.

From Scarboro Hill one obtains a fine view of the Blue Hill range and the interven-
ing country.

There are many other points of beauty and interest in this "people's park," which
seem to say to all : —

" Come live with me, and be my love ;
And we will all the pleasures prove
That hills and valleys, dales and fields.
Woods or steepy mountain yields."

Edwin Upton Curtis.





u rg-



■ of Hougiio,,, M.p,, & Co.









i-


-^^ppiw^









gH







"HE FIRST CHURCH IX ROXBURY,



FIRST CHURCH AND JOHN ELIOT.



i



HERE stands in the middle of Eliot Square, Roxbury, a venerable edifice,
perhaps the finest specimen of the Puritan meeting-house remaining in New
England. All the religious associations of this colony from 1631 to 1773
cluster around this spot ; and for a long time it was the place of worship for
the inhabitants included in what is now Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, and West Roxbury,
together with many of the settlers in Brookline.

Within the last twenty-five years the population of Roxbury has increased so rapidly
that great numbers are living within a circle of a mile or two from the old church, know-
ing nothing of its history, — thousands of whom, we think, might come to be interested in
its past, its present, and its future.

The first house of worship, like so many of its kind in the new colonies, was built of
logs, with a thatched roof and a clay floor. It was about twenty by thirty feet, and
twelve feet high ; and the settlers at Brookline paid one-fifth of its cost. The first houses
were built along the street now bearing the name of the town, and there was a regulation
that every one must build within half a mile of the meeting-house. This building stood
from 1632 until 1674. The second house of worship was much larger, and answered its
purposes until 1741.

A new and larger one was then erected, but it was destroyed by fire in 1746. The
fire caught, the records say, from a foot-stove ; and some thought it was a divine judgment
upon the love of ease and luxury which was creeping into the settlement. For, until this
time, the fire of devotion was the only warmth the old meeting-house had through the
long services, although some of the worshippers would take their dogs to lie on the floor,
while they put their feet upon them, the better to endure the winter's cold. Many of the
customs of these early days seem very strange to our generation. As there was no fire,
the church was regarded as the safest place to keep the powder of the settlement, and
sometimes it was stored in the steeple, sometimes on the beams of the roof ; and occa-
sionally, if a thunder-storm came on during the time of public worship, the congregation
would leave the altar, and take shelter in the neighboring woods for fear of an explosion.
Sometimes, in seasons of abundant harvest, the farmers were allowed to store their grain
in the loft of the meeting-house ; while notices of every kind of meeting, orders and reso-
lutions of the town, summonses to town meetings, intentions of marriage, copies of the
law against Sabbath-breaking, announcements of vendues and sales, lists of the town
officers, rules about the Indians, were posted on the house, sometimes covering it well
over, while it was no unusual thing for the freshly severed heads of wolves to be nailed
under the windows to attest the skill of the hunter or prove the reward due him. Close
in the rear of the meeting-house were those guardians of the peace, and terrors of
evil-doers, — the stocks and pillory, — where the offenders were placed within full view of
the innocent. There was no bell, but the willing congregation gathered at the call of a
drum or shell. As an old verse has it : —



8 First Church and John Eliot

" New England's Sabbath day
Is heaven-like, still, and pure.
When Israel walks the way
Up to the temple's door.
The time we tell
When there to come
By beat of drum
Or sounding shell."

The prayers were frequently an hour long, the sermons of even greater length, meas-
ured by an hour-glass, when clocks and timepieces were rare ; and it is told of one of the
ministers of New England that, when the sands were run out, he would look over his
sleepy congregation, and say, "Come, friends, let's take another glass."

The fourth house of worship was built in 1746. Of this we have a plan ; and, as it
was like the preceding one, we know the precise style of the meeting-house in which our
fathers worshipped a hundred years ago. The entrance was from the south side, and the
pulpit opposite upon the north. Directly in front of the pulpit was a goodly number of
free seats ; and among the names of the occupants of the square pews we read these,
still frequently met with among our citizens or perpetuated by our streets : Curtis, May,
Seaver, Bowles, Crafts, Williams, Heath (of Revolutionary fame), Ruggles, Dudley, and
Joseph Warren, who fell at Bunker Hill.

The population had so increased that it was thought the time had come to provide
meeting-houses in the more remote parts of the town, so that in 1712 a second church
was gathered in what is now West Roxbury ; and in 1773 was erected the present old
church, now standing on Centre Street, near South, although partly destroyed by fire a
few years since. This is the church that was made famous by the ministry of Theodore
Parker. From this, as well as from the mother church, still another parish was formed in
1769, which is now the First Congregational Society of Jamaica Plain, quite near to the
Soldiers' Monument.

It may be some reassurance to those who think that the interest in public worship is
declining that a record in 1820 says : " The interest in religion had so far declined that,
although there are in the first parish in Roxbury, completed and building, three churches
within the compass of a few rods, those who prefer to spend their Sabbaths in regular
worship to lounging about taverns and pilfering in the fields but half fill a single one."

The fourth house of worship of the First Church, from 1746 to 1804, saw the stormy
days of the Revolutionary War. The lawn was the camping ground of our forces. Here
Washington came to review the troops. General Thomas had his headquarters in the
house long occupied by the eminent teacher, Mr. Dillaway, the gambrel-roofed building
still standing on Roxbury Street. The steeple was shattered by British cannon-balls.
And Whitefield preached to one of his immense congregations in front of the church.

Early in the present century a movement was begun to build a new church, the fifth
on the historical spot. The records tell us that the committee was to consult the plans of
the church in Newburyport, then just finished; and the tradition is that Bulfinch, the
architect of the State House, had something to do with them. Whoever were the archi-
tect, the builders, and the committee, the result was one of the most satisfactory, commo-
dious, and beautiful of all the old meeting-houses in New England ; and with its massive
timbers it gives good promise of fulfilling the purposes of worship for another century.



First Church and John Ehot 9

Its fine proportions deceive one as to its great size; while its large, roomy, and comfort-
able pews, its most gracefully hung and spacious galleries, — above all, its perfect acoustic
properties, in such marked contrast with almost all modern churches, — and the simplicity
of its whole finish, together with the associations of devotion for almost a hundred years,
make every one feel at once that this is no hall, no lecture platform, but a church of the
living God, fragrant with the sentiment of worship for generations. The house was dedi-
cated on the 7th of June, 1804; and the first Sunday services were held on the lOth of
June. Fortunately, all schemes of remodelling, by which many old churches have been
defaced, if not ruined, have always been defeated here by a wiser judgment. There was
a good deal of objection on the part of some to so costly and elegant a structure, as is
shown by a note in a private journal, which, under date of April 18, 1803, says: "This
day the meeting-house in the first parish of this town was begun to be pulled down. It
was not half worn out, and might have been repaired with a saving of ;^ 10,000 to the
parish. It has been sold for $600. Whether every generation grows wiser or not, it is
evident they grow more fashionable and extravagant."

But the church knew what it was about ; and, when the sale of pews took place in
the new house, after all the building expenses were settled, there was a surplus of nearly
$S,ooo, which was divided pro rata among the tax-payers of the parish, and from that time
until the present the church has not had a cent of debt.

When the first settlers came to this neighborhood, they found their way for a few
months to the church which had already been gathered in Dorchester ; but in 163 1 they
formed their own church, under the lead of William Pynchon, of whom the record says, in

1630, " He was one of the first foundation of the church at Rockesborough " ; and perhaps
the church was gathered in that year, for Eliot came in 163 1, and before he left England
he had promised friends who had preceded him to be their minister in Roxbury. How-
ever, we have not been accustomed to speak of our church as established at an earlier
date than 163 1. In July, 1632, Thomas Welde was invested with the pastoral care of the
church in Roxbury. In November of the same year, John Eliot was ordained as teacher
with him. No matter how small the parish, it was customary to have pastor and teacher ;
but very often it was hard to separate their offices and duties.

John Eliot, the apostle to the Indians, is the most commanding figure among all the
nonconformists of England who came to this country for freedom of worship. His name
and ministry are the glory of our church, as they would be of any church in Chris-
tendom ; and his life is one about which every young person should know something. He
was born in 1604, at Widford-upon-Ware, a typical English village not far from London,
educated at Jesus College, Cambridge, and for a time was an inmate of the house of
Thomas Hooker, afterward the founder of the State of Connecticut. His early years
were, as he says, "seasoned with the fear of God, the Word, and prayer" ; and in the
family of the pious Hooker he " saw, as never before, the power of godliness in its lovely
vigor and efficacy." The struggle between the Puritans and the English Church was
growing so bitter that Eliot made up his mind to come to this country; and in November,

163 1, he arrived at Boston. In spite of the earnest desire of the church in Boston, which
had been gathered in 1630, to settle him as its minister, he determined to keep his promise


1 3 4 5 6 7

Online LibraryMass. All Souls Unitarian church. Branch alliance RoxburyThe Roxbury magazine, pub. by the Branch alliance of the All Souls Unitarian church, Roxbury, Mass → online text (page 1 of 7)