Copyright
Massachusetts Millbury.

Centennial history of the town of Millbury, Massachusetts, including vital statistics, 1850-1899 online

. (page 22 of 84)
Online LibraryMassachusetts MillburyCentennial history of the town of Millbury, Massachusetts, including vital statistics, 1850-1899 → online text (page 22 of 84)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


two inches thick. They are in a good state of preserva-
tion and constitute a reminder of days long since past.
An immense brick, equal in size to four common ones,
was taken from an old house at West Millbury and was
doubtless made at this yard.

Carriage Making
Among the former industries of the town, was the
carriage manufactory of S. R. Parker & Co., in which for
a time a considerable business was done. The Parker
building, now owned by The Millbury Mills Company,
was erected about 1858. The Parkers also had a black-
smith shop connected for their iron work. During 1888,
nearly one hundred carriages and wagons of superior
workmanship were made here, and many of these are
still in use. The name of "Parker" on a carriage was a
guarantee of its strength and durability.

Shuttle-eyes and Thread-compressors
At his home on the road running from the Old Common
to Tainter Hill, Moses D. Garfield, from 1864 until his
death, manufactured the shuttle-eye which he invented,
having a monopoly in its production. To one who has
witnessed Mr. Garfield at his labor and has seen him
preparing the substance and baking the product, it seemed
marvelous that such a small thing should require such
painstaking care and judgment in its production.

For many years, in addition to the manufacture of
shuttle-eyes, Mr. Garfield made, also, thread-compressers
of the same material that he used in the manufacture of
shuttle-eyes. When finished, these rival steel in hardness



INDUSTRIES NOT AT A WATER PRIVILEGE 283

and smoothness. Great accuracy is required in making
the holes in these compressers since the sizes vary only
one-thousandth of an inch. Not only in this country
are these used but they have found their way abroad.

Thread guides were also made and these were used
widely.

The industry is continued by Miss Elizabeth M.,
daughter of Moses D. Garfield.

Charles H. Marble, son of the late Henry Marble, manu-
factures porcelain shuttle-eyes and thread-guides for
textile work. He resides in the house formerly occupied
by Dr. Amasa Braman at the Old Common and in a shop
at this place conducts his business. He was formerly
employed by the late Moses D. Garfield in the same
industry. This business and that carried on by Miss
Garfield are the only establishments of the kind in the
country and the processes which they employ are of great
value. (See independent sketch of Moses D. Garfield.)

Millbury Foundry Company
This company was begun by Bradway Felton & Co.
and later passed to John Martin, who was succeeded by
Martin and Sweetser. The business was located for a
time on the Armory site on South Main Street, but later
it was moved to the southwest corner of Waters Street,
opposite the present location of the Millbury Machine
Co'8 works. Afterward, John Martin and Winthrop
R. Cunningham were in partnership. Then Mr. Cunning-
ham conducted the business alone, but later sold one-half
interest to Mr. Martin. Mr. Cunningham afterward
retired and left Mr. Martin in full possession. Mr. Martin
was succeeded by Mr. Calvin, but the business again
passed to Mr. Martin, who sold it to H. T. Morriam in
lSSti. Mr. Merriam re-located the foundry near the
Boston and Albany R. R. tracks, on the site now occupied
by the Millbury Steel Foundry. He manufactured
wrought iron work, bridges, iron fronts, and many kinds



284 HISTORY OF MILLBURY

of structural iron work. He also erected some of the
buildings now occupied by the Millbury Steel Foundry
Company. Mr. Merriam was succeeded by the Oakley
Foundry Company which carried on iron and steel work
for some time. The works are now in possession of the
Millbury Steel Foundry.

Millbury Steel Foundry Company
The Millbury Steel Foundry Company was incorporated
under the laws of Massachusetts, Aug. 31, 1908, as the
"Oakley Steel Foundry Company." July 1, 1910, the
name of the company was changed to "The Millbury
Steel Foundry Company." It is capitalized at fifty
thousand dollars. Seventy persons are employed. The
plant was changed so that electric power is used for
operating, and fuel oil for melting. The company manu-
factures crucible steel and monel metal castings, which
are claimed to be equal to machine steel forgings, because
of proper annealing by a Rockwell annealing furnace.
This develops the molecular structure of the metal and
makes it homogeneous. This product has shown a tensile
strength of seventy-five thousand pounds per square inch,
an elastic limit of thirty-eight thousand pounds per square
inch, and a reduction in area of forty per cent. All the
company's castings are made under the supervision of an
experienced metallurgist.

Monel metal is a natural alloy of nickel and copper,
composed approximately of sixty-eight per cent nickel,
thirty per cent copper and the remainder iron. This
wonderful metal is as strong as steel and non-susceptible
to the action of sulphuric acid, muriatic acid or salt water.
Besides being non-corrosive and rust proof, it will take a
high polish and when buffed resembles nickel plate. It
will not peel and tarnish, but always retains its bright
lustre.

This company makes castings in carbon steel, nickel
steel, nickel chrome, and nickel vanadium. The following




THE CHAS BUCK EDGE TOOL WORKS




IE UXBRIDGE WOOLEN MILLS



IN IH STK1KS NOT AT A WATEK IMUVIl.KOK 285

an the present officers of the company: President, Fred-
erick W. Moore, Millbury; vice president, Henry H.
Merriam, Worcester; general manager, William \Y.
Brierly, Millbury.

Mll.l.lU'KV Mll.l.S (UXBRIDGK WOBSTBD COMPANY)

In 1907, this company began the manufacture of
worsted goods at Weal Millbury in the Edwin Hoyle
Mill, operating eighteen looms. A short time afterward
it commenced manufacturing the same kind of goods in
the Arinsby laundry building at Millbury Centre and, in
the spring of 1912, the West Millbury business was
removed to this building. In the summer of 1912, the
company purchased the old Parker carriage shop, remodel-
ing and repairing it. Here the spinning and some of
the weaving is done and, although the company formerly
bought its yarn, it now spins all that it uses.

At the beginning, the company employed thirty-eight;
but now over one hundred hands are engaged in the busi-
rhis company has the honor of being the first in
town to use electricity for power. Fifty-eight looms are
now in operation, besides other machinery, and from eight
the power used has now increased to one hundred and
thirty horse-power. C. A. Root, of I'xbridge. is pro-
prietor, and Augustus C. Neff IS the local superintendent.

Chablxs Bo k Edge Tool Company

Charles buck, the originator of this company, started

in business for himself, in |s?:i. having separated from the

firm of Puck Brothers, of which he had been a member
with the late Richard T. Buck. The company manu-
factures chisels, gouges, plane iron- 1 , reamers, punches,
and other edge tools. Its product is of great merit and
lia- been awarded medals anil diplomas for excellence at

the Centennial Exhibition at Philadelphia, in lsTii. and
at The World's Columbian Exposition at Chicago, in

fhe work- are located on tin- '.raftoii Road.



286 HISTORY OF MILLBURY

This company enjoys the continued patronage of discrim-
inating dealers in edge tools. The officers in 1914 were,
president, James C. Ryder, and treasurer, Robert T.
Pollock. In 1915, the works were purchased by W. L.
Proctor, proprietor of Buck Bros. Edge Tool Works.

H. W. Hakes Manufacturing Company
Prominent among the industries of Millbury is The
H. W. Hakes Manufacturing Company. In 1879, this
business was started by H. W. Hakes in a shop of C. D.
Morse & Co., which was destroyed by fire in 1881. Mr.
Hakes then erected a small structure to the south of that
location on the site of the present establishment, where
the business was conducted for ten years under his own
name. In 1891, the concern became "The H. W. Hakes
Manufacturing Company." In 1900, a building two
stories high, one hundred forty feet long, and forty feet
wide was erected. In 1909, under one management, the
business of the J. H. Williams Co. was added to that of the
H. W. Hakes Manufacturing Company and an addition
was built to the main structure, one hundred twenty feet
long, forty-five feet wide, and two stories high. The
Hakes Manufacturing Company manufactures wire hed-
dle frames and mill wire goods. It gives constant employ-
ment to thirty men at good wages. The J. H. Williams
Company manufactures shuttles for all kinds of looms, as
well as the German and native styles of wire heddles for
plain and fancy weaving. The buildings are equipped
with the latest improved machinery and the product of
these companies is widely used. The officers of the Hakes
Manufacturing Company are: Edwin L. Watson, presi-
dent; Walter C. Watson, secretary and treasurer; and
Hudson W. Hakes, manager. Mr. Hakes is also vice
president and manager of the J. S. Williams Company.
The pay-roll of this establishment is the second largest
in town.



INDUSTRIES NOT AT A WATER PRIVILEGE 287

Swicel E. Hull Company

Near the junction of Canal and Elm streets is located
the warehouse of the Samuel E. Hull Co., which deals in
cotton and cotton waste. This business was established
by J. H. Merry and next passed into the hands of Briggs
& Co. They were followed, in 1883, by Samuel E. Hull
who, beside carrying on the business here, also conducted
for years an extensive business in wool and wool waste in
Worcester, where the office for both departments is now
located. Since Mr. Hull's death in 1911, both places
have been continued by the sons, Edward F. and Harry
C. Hull.

Water Works

In 1888, a committee on water- works was chosen by
the town and in its report it made the following recom-
mendation: "First, — The Committee believes that the
best interests of our town demand a public water supply,
and recommends that this enterprise be undertaken at
no distant time. Second, — We recommend the adoption
of the plan referred to in the engineer's report as the
Local Pumping Plan, so far as the construction of a well
near the Boston and Albany Railroad, and the necessary
pumping station, the laying of mains in our streets, with
the necessary gates, hydrants, etc., and the building of
the necessary reservoir upon Burbank Hill. " This report
of the committee was signed by John Gegenheimer, Levi
L. Whitney, Irving B. Sayles, and Dr. George C. Webber.
Percy M. Blake was employed to make a survey and the
following places were examined, — Singletary Pond and
its watershed, Ramshorn Pond and Brook, Hull Brook,
Garfield Pond at the Old Common, Hathaway Brook,
the springs east of the Lovell place in the southerly part of
the town, the springs adjoining the branch of the Boston
and Albany R. R., the water-shed above these springs
including the Lincoln meadow and the adjoining water-
shed, Dorothy Pond, and, finally, the securing of a supply
from the city of Worcester.



288 HISTORY OF MILLBTJR.Y

The following letter was received from the State Board
of Health in regard to the location finally accepted: —

"Office of State Board of Health.
13 Beacon Street,

Boston, July, 1888.
"To George F. Chase. Chairman of Selectmen,

Millbury, Mass.
Dear Sir —

"After careful examination of the different sources of water
supply for the town of Millbury, the State Board of Health finds
that the site selected for a ground water supply has advantages
which make it the most appropriate source for the town.

"Analysis of water from the flowing well showed it to be very
soft and of excellent quality. By order of the Board,
(signed) Samuel W. Abbott,
Secreta

After the report of Mr. Blake and the report of the
water committee to the town the subject seems to have
been dropped, and the interest had apparently died out.
Some time later, however, Henry W. Aiken, Esq., took
steps to renew the matter and a company was incorporated
including with him Charles D. Morse, Samuel E. Hull,
Damien Ducharme, Samuel N. Rogers and George F.
Chase.

The success of the company was due to the knowledge,
enthusiasm, vision, and financial judgment of J. Herbert
Shedd, hydraulic expert. He assisted the members of
the corporation in planning and financing the enterprise
and inspired their confidence in the undertaking, for he
saw in his own mind the completed system before a start
was made. With them he took up the matter and carried
it through, establishing the well and pumping station
beside the B. & A. R. R. tracks on the old road to Wor-
cester.

The charter of the Millbury Water Co. was granted
by the Legislature, Apr. 19, 1893, to Charles D. Morse,
Henry W. Aiken. Esq.. Samuel X. Rogers. Samuel E. Hull,
Damien Ducharme, and George F. Chase. .After a long



INDUSTRIES NOT AT A WATER PRIVILEGE 289

and wearisome struggle, this company succeeded in open-
ing its works to the public, Nov. 16, 1895, when the
system was put to a public test in town hall square, amid
the rejoicing of those who had labored long and hard to
secure an adequate supply of water. The annals of the
town show that much opposition was shown the enterprise
until the final result was achieved. At the time of the
opening, eleven miles of pipe, six to sixteen inches in diam-
eter, had been laid, sixty-five gates were put in, and sixty-
three hydrants set up, with specifications for forty-seven
extra hydrants. The capacity of the reservoir on Bur-
bank Hill is one million, five hundred thousand gallons.

The first officers and builders of the Millbury Water
Cos works were the following: — J. Herbert Shedd, presi-
dent, S. E. Hull, Geo. F. Chase, Herbert A. Ryan, treas-
urer, Lewis A. Clark, Sylvester M. Snow, J. William
Patston, H. N. Wilson. The consulting engineer was
J. Herbert Shedd. The engineers were Shedd & Sarle of
Worcester, the mechanical engineer was Sylvester M.
Snow, the architect was J. William Patston, the con-
tractors were the Worcester Engineering Company,
which included E. W. Shedd, president, George G. Hunt,
secretary, and George H. Sawin. The sub-contractors
were: for pipe laying, Lucian A. Taylor; for pumping sta-
tion, Jas. S. Miles & Sons, Worcester; for reservoir roof,
Geo. F. Chase; for collecting well, Timothy Lyons,
Leicester.

The present officers of the company are: President,
Lucian A. Taylor; clerk and treasurer, Herbert A. Ryan;
directors, Lucian A. Taylor, Matthew J. Whittall, Alfred
Thomas, Harry C. Hull, and Herbert A. Ryan; superin-
tendent, L. Clarence Rice.

Since its establishment, additional sources for water
have been added from nearby land.



290 HISTORY OF MILLBURY



CHAPTER XXI



BUSINESS: OLD STOREKEEPERS, PRESENT
STOREKEEPERS, ARTISANS

The following is a partial list of firms and individuals
who were formerly engaged in business in Millbury:
Auctioneers: — Luke Harrington, E. Handy.
Blacksmiths: — J. W. Green, Philip Lahey, B. O. Paine,

Samuel Sawyer.
Boot and shoe makers: — Elijah Dudley, A. Wood and

Sons, Goulding and Carleton.
Boot and shoe dealers: — N. Goddard and Son, Ira N.

Goddard, N. A. Feehan.
Carpenters and builders : — Jabez Ellis, Loring Foster,

Ira Glazier, Loring Jacobs, Charles Lapham, Thomas

Tift.
Carriage makers: — J. E. Harrington, Allen and Harring-
ton, Stoyle and Harrington.
Cotton manufacturers :— John Kenney, Smith and

Pratt (see industries).
Cut-nipper maker: — Stephen Taft.
Druggists: — B. F. Aiken, Jacob Appel, P. Bellville,

Dr. Mansfield, N. H. Sears, E. Thompson & Son,

E. E. Wood.
Furniture dealers: — John A. Clifford, Ferguson & Co.,

J. D. Fairchild, H. E. Newell, Pierce and Hale.
General storekeepers: — Dr. Wm. M. Benedict, Dr.

Amasa Braman, Dana A. Braman, Thaniel Cutting,

Daggett, Wright & Co., Silas Dunton, Simon Farns-

worth, Farnum & Co., Goddard, Rice & Co., E. W.

Goffe (Old Common), Holbrook & Co., Jabez Hull




THE ST. CHARLES HOTEL







THE TOUHTELOTTE HOUSE



business: storekeepers, artisans 291

(Canal store), Wm. R. Johnson, Sterry S. Kegwin,
Lucien S. Learned, Alden B. Lovell, Elias Lovell,
John Morse, Otis, Packard & Co., Abraham (J. Randall,
Redding & Co., Robbins and Dunton, Sylvester Smith,
G. Y. Taft & Co., Moses W. Wheeler, Wiswall & Co.
(At West Millbury), H. L. Bancroft & Co., Stephen
Blanchard, Wm. H. Belcher, Ira D. Bates, Henry W.
Blanchard, William E. Gale, Ira Glazier, Ephraim
Goulding, Russell Harrington, Henry P. Howe, D. G.
Prentice, Sweetser & Co., J. D. Wheeler & Co., A. Wood
& Sons.

Millers: — Hardy Holman, Mr. King, John Singletary,
Richard Singletary, Amos Singletary.

Hardware dealers: — Crane and Ferguson, Wm. R.
Cunningham, Dea. A. W. Lincoln, H. W. Thompson.

Harness makkrs: — F. K. Hodgeman, Lawson Snow.

Hat and cap dealer: — William Roberts.

Stable keepers: — Abner Boardman, J. S. Cutting,
Hudson H. Hakes, Albert Hathaway, Joseph Harper,
Elijah A. Johnson, L. J. Lincoln, E. Lovell & Son,
Wm. F. Lovell, Sweetser & Co., H. P. Upham.

Marble worker: — W. C. Struthers.

Masons and plasterers: — T. R. Harrington, Charles
Newell.

Meat and provision dealers: — Bancroft and Faneuf,
Charles Brady, Desmarais & Co., Thomas Dolan,
John W. Pope & Co., M. Putnam, Joseph Simpson,
Lyman 8. Waters.

Painters:— Arthur Goodell, William Ryan, David Van
Ostrand, M. .1. Wheeler.

Paper makers: — James Brierly & Co., Caleb Burbank,
Abijah Burbank, F. H. Newell (see industries).

Kk-iukam keepers: — Allen and Vibbards, A. B.
1. 1) veil.

Saw mill owners: — Gleason & Co., Harry W. Harris.

BoiTHl makers:— Hale, Whipple and Waters, Charles
Hale Stephen Taft.



292 HISTORY OF MILLBURY

Shingle mill owner: — Hardy Holnian.

Tailors: — Bennett & Co., William H. Hudson, Mr.

Keating, Abel Waite.
Tanners and curriers: — E. N. Childs, A. Wood &

Sons.
Tin plate worker: — J. S. Mallalieu.
Watch makers and jewellers: — Henry A. Aiken,

J. F. Dodge, Capt. George A. Perry, Henry Waterman,

Mr. Wiesman.

Ephraim Goulding, or "Squire Goulding," was noted
for having well-nigh any article that could possibly be
called for among his various commodities. A stranger
came along one day and said to him, after looking over
the place, "I see that you have almost everything any-
one needs, but I think I can tell of one thing you haven't
got, and that is a second-hand pulpit." "My dear sir,"
said the "Squire," "Please come up stairs," leading the
way and sure enough, before the astonished visitor, there
stood an old pulpit.

Protective Union Stores.
A Protective Union store flourished here, as in many
other towns, sixty years ago. It was located on South
Main street, near the crossing of the Providence & Wor-
cester R. R. and was in charge of Charles Hitchcock.
A little pamphlet then issued had on its cover the follow-
ing: — "Constitution of The New England Protective
Union, and By-Laws of Millbury Division No. 290,
State of Massachusetts — Instituted Sept. 2, 1851."
Another of these stores was located at Bramanville on
the site now occupied by the general store of Alvan J.
Winter.

Business at Millbury Centre, 1914
Max S. Abelson, tailor,
Alfred Armsby, electrician,
Louis Ballard, garage,
Fred Ballargeon, barber shop,



business: storekeepers, artisans 293

Philip Ballard, furniture,

Eli Belisle, wood working,

Frank Bellville, groceries and provisions,

Alfred E. Bernard, harness making,

Joseph H. Boucher, groceries and provisions,

Arthur Bourbeau, printing,

Edmund Bourbeau, printing,

Calvin R. Brackett, cider-works and teaming,

Win. J. Braney, Millbury & Worcester express,

Bresnehan Co., groceries,

Brown Brothers, meats and provisions,

Charles Buck Edge Tool Co., edge-tools,

George F. Chase, contractor and builder,

R. W. Colby & Son, mason work, plastering,

Edward H. Coombs, teaming, wood,

fames M. Cronin estate, general store,

Archibald Dallochie, florist,

Daniel J. Dempsey, news depot, stationery and tobacco,

Albert Despard, barber shop,

Henry J. Dion, shoe repairing,

Dennis A. Donovan, ice cream, confectionery,

J. R. Downing Co., ice,

Damien Ducharme, meats, provisions, and fish,

Dunton & Winter, dry goods and groceries,

James H. Ferguson & Co., hardware, plumbing,

George K. Fisher, groceries.

Joseph Gagnon, meat,

Arthur J. Gillert, drug store,

Fred V. Goodell, painting and paper hanging,

Samuel Goodell, wood dealer,

Charles Gravlin, barber shop,

James J. Grogan, liquors, bowling alley,

Gertrude A. Hadley, millinery,

Herman Goldberg, tailor,

Dr. C. H. Hakes, dentist,

Charles II. Ball, furniture, wood carving,

Mrs. A. J. Harris, saw-mill,



294 HISTORY OF MILLBURY

Hill Brothers, concrete and granolithic works,

Charles F. Holman, "Millbury Journal," printing,

Home Soap Co.,

Henry L. Hooper, barber shop and bicycles,

Charles E. Home, road builder,

Henry Houghton, grain dealer,

Wm. R. Howe, lumber and cider works,

James H. Ivory, men's furnishings, engraving,

Clara C. M. Jaques, millinery,

Peter Jacques, builder,

E. L. Kingsley, pharmacist,

Lacoutre Bros., groceries,

Charles Lee, laundry,

Louis Labrec, blacksmith,

Louis Lapierre, barber shop,

H. J. Lavallee, bakery,

Joseph O. Lemoine, groceries,

Jeremiah F. Lyons, coal,

Edward McAleer, liquors,

Charles A. Morrison, painting and paper-hanging,

Dennis Mulhane, undertaker,

John J. Mulhane, plumbing,

Michael H. Murphy, livery-stable,

Charles T. Newton, poultry,

Frank Nire, groceries,

Loreto Paletta, groceries,

Peter C. Paradis, dry goods and groceries,

Charles E. Pierce, painter,

Hervey C. Pierce, hardware and plumbing,

David A. Powers, livery-stable,

Putnam and Davis, jewelry, stationery, men's furnishings,

A. W. Rice, coal and lumber,

Martin J. Roach, teaming, Millbury and Worcester

express,
Philip Roux, meats and coal,
Herbert A. Ryan, undertaker, florist,
James B. Shay, painting and paper hanging,



business: storekeepers, artisan 295

Hariph M. Smith, undertaker and embalmer,

Herbert Stockwell, teaming,

Stoddard Rubber Co., rubber tires and tubes,

Neil A. Swenson, tailor,

Elizabeth Tebo, bakery,

Harry W. Thompson, automobiles, insurance,

Edward Trombly, liquors,

Bartholomew Turnan, blacksmithing,

Charles L. Undergraves, boots and shoes,

Henry Van Ostrand, painting,

Patrick H. Walsh, plumbing,

Lyman S. Waters, market, Geo. W. Russell, proprietor,

meats and provisions,
C. D. Whitney, insurance,
Hosea L. Woodward, carriage painting,
George H. Woodman, blacksmith.

Business at Bramanville, 1915
Wm. E. Bartlett, St. Charles Hotel,
Alfred Budrow, slice repairing,

Charles H. Colbrook, boots and shoes and general wares,
David O. Home, teaming,
William E. Home, general store,
Anthony Jacques, barber shop,
Mason H. Shaw, dry goods and groceries,
faneel C. Shellschmidt, blacksmithing,
Joseph II . Sweet, cigars, tobacco, etc.,
Estate of A. S. Winter, dry goods and groceries.

Business at West Millbury, 1915
Florence I. Bentley, store at post office,
Wm. H. Fairbanks, carriage-shop,
Frank S. Stockwell, builder,
Frank F. W'atkins, teaming.



HISTORY OF MILLBTJRY



CHAPTER XXII
BANKS

The Millbury Bank

In 1825, it seemed most desirable that the town have
a banking institution. Accordingly, through the efforts
and influence of a number of prominent public-spirited
citizens, "The Millbury Bank" was established by an act
to incorporate the president, directors, and company of
the Millbury Bank. Having been passed by the Legislature,
this act was approved in June, 1825, by Governor Lincoln.

Seventy-three persons subscribed to the capital stock
of $100,000 and on August 11, 1825, the first meeting of
the stock holders was held at the home of Simon Farns-
worth, Jr. Asa Waters was chosen moderator and Dr.
William W. Benedict clerk of the meeting. The directors
elected were Asa Waters, Simon Farnsworth, Jr., Gen.
Caleb Burbank, Dr. Wm. W. Benedict, Elijah Waters,
Jonas L. Sibley, of Sutton, Samuel Wood, of Grafton,
Sylvanus Holbrook, of Northbridge, and Austin Denny,
of Worcester. The directors were instructed to make all
necessary arrangements for putting the bank in operation.

At a subsequent meeting held on the first Monday in
October, 1825, Hervey Hartshorn, of Sutton, was chosen
as a director and Stephen Blanchard was made clerk of
the corporation. Asa Waters was chosen president;
Louis Mills, cashier; and Austin Denny, solicitor. The
banking room was established in the Farnsworth block.
In those days the annual meetings were so largely attended



Online LibraryMassachusetts MillburyCentennial history of the town of Millbury, Massachusetts, including vital statistics, 1850-1899 → online text (page 22 of 84)