Medical Society of the State of New York (1807- ).

Medical directory of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut (Volume v.9) online

. (page 106 of 135)
Online LibraryMedical Society of the State of New York (1807- )Medical directory of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut (Volume v.9) → online text (page 106 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


charity cases are admitted on the conditions laid down by the State Board.
Open daily. 1 to 3, except Sun. and legal holidays.

Children, L. C. Ager, Chief; G. F. Little, B. A. Fedde. J. F. Crawford;
Asst. Adjuncts, W. H. Woglom; Gen. Med., R. Clark, Chief; W. J. McAveney,
H. W. Nichols, J. A. Longmore, T. H. Dexter, L. W. Cornelius, G. W. Tong;
Chest, W. N. Belcher, Chief; T. A. McGoldrick, B. C. Corwin, J. Pullman, E.
L. F. Swan, H. Michaelis, H. M. Moses; Gen. Surg., W. H. Rankin, Chief;
C. L. Nichols, R. B. Anderson, R. .J. Bull, A. W. Beck. P. Tradelius;
Orthop. Surg., W. Truslow, Chief; H. F. McChesney; Throat and Nose, W. F.
Dudley, Chief; L. H. Miller, P. H. Sturges. C. G. Crane. H. D. White; G.-U.
Dis., H. E. Eraser, Chief; C. S. Cochrane, N. P. Rathbun, R. M. Rome, J. S.
Read; Skin, J. J. Lyons, Chief; E. M. Johnston, T. B. Doyle, S. A. Marshall;
Eye, H. M. Smith, Chief; J. H. Ohly, G. A. H. Smith; Ear, H. A. Alderton,
Chief; W. S. Shattuck, C. S. Pool, F. R. Harriman; Nerves, F. C. Eastman.
Chief; F. Tilney. R. O. Brockway; Obstet., M. G. White, Chief; J. W. D.
Hancock, G. Bottaro, E. M. Wadsworth, H. Michaelis, W. H. Woglom; Den-
tistry, J. W. Russell, M. D.. Chief; H. P. Gould. W. G. Lewis, H. A. Foster.
H. Nathan; Women. J. O. Polak, Chief; F. D. Crawford, W. C. Woolsey, J.
Watt, N. P. Geis. W. A. Jewett; Asst. Adjuncts. G. Bottaro, R. M. Rome, D.
McNaughton; Gastro-Enteric Dis., J. Fuhs, Chief; D. M. Staebler, D. Roberts;
Radio-Therap., J. C. Bierwirth, Chief; L. Finch.

ST. CATHARINE'S HOSPITAL DISPENSARY.— Bushwick av ,
bet. Mauger and Ten Eyr-k sts. Tel. 274 Williamsburg. Medical dispensary
is open Mon. and Thurs. from 11 to 12 ani 12 to 1. Surgical dispensary Tues.
and Fri., 11 to 12 and 12 to 1.

WILLIAMSRLRGH HOSPITAL DISPENSARY.— Bedford av. and
So. 3d St., Brooklyn. Tel. 2290 Greenpoint. Hours, 2 to 4, 8 to 9.

Supt, Margaret McCarthy; Gen. Med., I. G. Cameron, E. M. Johnson;
Surg.. S. Davis, C. Gordon; Gynec, C. A. Lubrecht. W. J. Leavitt, E. I.
Dorn; Ear, Nose and Throat. J. W. D. Hancock, C. E. Schofleld; Eye. J. B.
Thomas. W. E. Jo'ner; Ch-ldren, A. C. DeLamotte, G. Mason. L. Bucans;
G.-U., G. M. Muren, A. L. Reeve; Rectal, M. L. Bodkin, W. F. Rex.

ROCHES lER.

ROCHESTER CITY HOSPITAL DISPENSARY ("The Magne
Jewell Memorial"). — 233 West av. The only charge is ten f^ents for medicine

Eye and Ear, Mon.. Wed. and Fri., 11 A. M.. W. Rider, R. L. Carson, A. C
Snell; Gen. Med. and Surg., daily, except Sun., li A. M, F. P. Leadlev
W. V. Evers, M. L. Casey, E. G. Nugent. W. Mullivan, A. W. Thomas. C. 6
Boswell. L. W. Howk. J. Roby ; Nerv. System, Mon. and Thurs., 4 P. M.
R. G. Cook: Skin and Genito-Urinary, Tues. and Fri.. 4 P. M., J. L. Rose
bloom; Orthop. Surgs., Mon. and Thurs.. 4 P M. , R. R. Fitch; Throat and



722 DISPENSARIES — NEW YORK STATE.

Nose, Mon. and Fri., 4 P. M., J. M. Inger^oU; Women, Tues. and Fri.,
4 P. M., E. Baldwin, C. W. Thomas; X-Ray, F. D. Andrews, M. B. Palmer.

ROCHESTER HOMOEOPATHIC HOSPITAL DISPENSARY.

— 224 Alexander st.

Oculists and Aurists, T. Parsons, W. H. Doane; Gynecol., G. A. B. Carter;
Surgs., F. T. Bascom, W. W. Winans; Laryng., H. W. Hoyt, L. J. Sanders;
Phys., W. B. Carman, E. G. H. Beck, D. B. Jewett; Children, W. C. Daly;
House Surgs., M. A. Newman, R. M. Carlton; House Phys., W. L. Mair.

ROCHESTER PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIAT10v\.-32 S. Wash-
ington St. Tels. 5669 Home and 3780 Main Bell. Hours, 1 to 5 daily.

Vis. Phys. and Surgs.: Nose, Throat and Ear, F. W. Bock; Eye, A. C.
Snell; Tuberc, G. W. Goler; Dental, L. Requa, F. C. Line.

SARATOGA.

SARATOGA HOSPITAL DISPENSARY.

Staff: W. H. Sanford, M. E. Van Aernem, H. R. Bentley.

SCHENECTADY.

DISPENSARY OF THE SCHENECTADY DAY NURSERY
ASSOCIATION.— 25 Lafayette st. Tels. 184W H. R. and 365 Home. Hours,

12 to 1, Tues., Thurs. and Sat.

Supt., Miss Ida M. Schram ; Vis. Phys. and Surgs., W. L. Fodder, W. B.
Stone, J. H. Collins, S. S. Ham, W. L. Huggins, F. Van der Bogert: Eye
and Ear, J. E. Reed, Men., Thurs., 3 to 4.

ELLIS HOSPITAL DISPENSARY.— 12 to 1. Emergency service
open day and night. Eye and Ear Clinic, Tues., Fri., 3 to 4.
R. A. Sauter, W. L. Fodder, J. H. Collins, W. L. Huggins, L. K. Dugan,

F. C. Reed.

SYRACUSE.

SYRACUSE FREE DISPENSARY.— 506 S. Warren st. Tel. 194
and 3302. Admission on certificate from physician. Open daily, 12.30 to
4 P. M.

Children Tues., Wed., Fri. and Sat., 1 to 2 P. M.-, E. J. Wynkoop, J. R.
Johnson; Surg., daily, 1 to 2 P.M., G. M. Price, E. S. Van Duyn, T. F.
Flaherty; Throat, Nose and Ear, Mon. and Tues., 2 to 3 P. M., G. S. Britton,

G. H. Rockwell; Eye, Tues., Wed., Fri. and Sat., 1 to 2 P. M., J. H. Kevand,
F. W. Marlow, S. B. Craton, H. L. Stebbins; Skin, Tues., Thurs. and Sat.,
2 to 3 P. M., H. C. Baum; Rectal, Fri., 2 P. M., D. H. Murray; Women,
Mon. and Thiirs., 1 to 2 P. M., A. B. Breese, G. B. Broad; Dental Surg.,
Thurs., 1 to 2 P. M., C. H. Barnes; Gen. Med., Mon., Tues. and Wed., 2 to 4
P. M.,' A. F. Vadeboncoeur, W. D. Alsever, W. F. Law, C. A. Covell; Thurs .
Fri. and Sat., 2 to 4 P. M., H. B. Doust, A. E. Larkin, T. F. Foreman,
W. H. Groat;' Obstet., A. E. Hotaling, E. W. Belknap; Orthop. Surg., Tues.
and Fri., 1 to 2 P. M., E. J. Vankoop; Nerv. Dis., F. H. Stephenson, H. G.
Locke; Consults., A. Mercer, J. Van Duyn, A. C. Mercer, A. B. Miller, T. H.
Halsted, S. F. Snow; Path., H. S. Stesnsland ; Hematol., W. H. Groat;
Tuberculosis, Tues. and Thurs., 3 P. M., I. H. Levy.

TROY.

SAMARITAN HOSPITAL DISPENSARY.

Eye and Ear, Tues., Thurs. and Sat., 9 A. M., F. A. Smith; Nose and
Throat, 4.30 P.' M., F. K. Roarke; E. W. Becker, Asst. ; Skin, Mon., Wed.
and Fri. 4.30 P. M., H. W. Carey.

TROY DISPENSARY.— 1 Hill st. Clinics for all classes of cases,
Mon. and Thurs. 8.30 P. M. ; Sat., 9 A. M.

Att'd Surgs., C. F. Kevlin, J. H. Reid; Att'd Phys., F. T. Stannard, T.
Judge; Att'd Specialist, Nose and Throat, B. S. Booth; Eye and Ear, F. M.
Sulzman.



DISPENSARIES — NEW YORK STATE. ',2^^

LTICA.

l/TICA DISPE5rSARY.— Open daily from 1 to 2, Mon., Wed., Fri.
Pbys. in Charge, A. M. Johnson; Tues., Thurs. and Sat., H. J. Haherar.

YONKERS.

ST. JOHX'S RIVERSIDE HOSPITAL DISPENSARY. -Ash-
burton av. The House Phys. is present during dispensary hours and acts
under the instructions of the Dispensary Phys. Patients are charged 25 cents
for each treatment, unless they present to the House Phys. a card from the
Secretary of the Charity Organization Society of the City of Yonliers or any
resident pastor, certifying that they are worthy and in indigent circumsiances;
but the first treatment may be free, without such card, at tae discretion of the
Dispensary Phys. Hours, daily, 11 to 12; Tues. and Thurs., 7.30 to 9 T M .
Eye and Ear Clinic; Wed., 3 to 5. Orthop,

Phys., W. G. Schconover, L. V. Waldron. J. T. Gorton, D. C. Paterson,
R. H. Shanahan; Ocult. and Aurists, C. W. Cutler, A. J. Smith; Orthop. Surg.,
T. H. Myers.

ST. JOSEPH'S HOSPITAL DISPENSARY.-Yonkers. S. B way

and Vark at.

Phys.. P. S. McCormick, B. H. Belcher, W. MacBean, M. Wolf, C. Bohm;
Ophth., Otol. and Lai-yngol., E. A.-« Spiisbury; Dentist, H. W. Bertholf.



BENEVOLENT INSTITUTIONS OF NEW
YORK STATE.

STATE BOARD OF CHARITIES.— The Capitol. Albany. A con-
stitutional body whose duties are defined by the Constitution of 1894. Is com-
posed of twelve Commissioners. The Board is required to maintain a general
supervision over all institutions and societies of a charitable or correctional
character; to appiove or not to approve the incorporation of such institutions;
to investigate the condition of the poor seeking relief; to administer the laws
providing for the care, support and removal of State and alien paupers; to
lollect statistical information concerning the work of said institution. W. R.
Stewart, Pres. ; S. Smith, M.D., Vice-Pres. ; R. W. Hill, Sec.

STATE CHARITIES AID ASSOCIATION, THE.-Offlce 105 E
22d St., New York City. Tel. 1454-1455 Gramercy. Organized in 1872 to visit
State, county, city and town charitable institutions and to secure the improve-
ment of all public charitable institutions. Maintains an agency for "after care"
of persons dischnrged as recovered from the State hospitals. Provides for
placing-out children in family homes. Provides situations at housework for
destitute mothers. Provides for boarding-out foundlings and motherless in-
fants. Watches legislation affecting charities..

Officers, J. H. Choat, Pres. ; Mrs. W. B. Rice, G. F. Canfield, Miss L. L.
Schuyler, Vice-Prests. ; Homer Folks, Sec. ; Miss M. V. Clark, Asst. Sec.

BATAVIA.

BLIND, N. Y. STATE SCHOOL FOR THE.— Batavia, N. Y.
For the instruction and training of blind children between five and twenty-
one who are residents of any county of the State, except Nassau, New York,
Kings, Queens, Putnam, Suffolk, Richmond, Rockland and Westchester.
Supt., O. H. Burritt.

BATH.

SOLDIERS' AND SAILORS' HOME, NEW YORK STATE.

—Union soldiers who served in the War of the Rebellion are received.

Commandant, J. E. Ewell; House Staff: C. K. Haskell, Surg.; E. C. Foster,
R. C. Hill, Assts. ; Oculist, A. C. Snell, Rochester.

BEDFORD STATION.

MONTEFIORE HOME COUNTRY SANITORIUM AT BED-
FORD STATION, Westchester County, N. Y. Capacity, 170 beds. Free
treatment for cases of pulmonary tuberculosis. Applications for admission are
received at the Montefiore Home, New York.

L. Rosenberg, Med. Supt., and three assts.; Consults., A. Meyer, G. Mann-
heimer and the consultant staff of the Montefiore Home, New York.

BINGHA3ITON.

BINGHAMTON STATE HOSPITAL (For the Insane).— Tel. 453.
Vis. Days, Mon., Wed. and Fri., 2 to 4 P. M.

Supt., C. G. Wagner; A'Sst. Phys., H. W. Eggleston, A. P. Summers, E. Gil-
lespie, J. V. May, C. G. Lyons, W. J. Tiffany, W. A. Harris; Woman Phys.,
E. Walker.

BLFFALO.

BUFFALO STATE HOSPITAL (For the Insane).— Forest av. Long
Distance Tel. North 237.
Med. Supt., A. W. Kurd; Asst. Phys., H. P. Frost, G. G. Armstrong, J. B.



BENEVOLENT INSTITUTIONS OF NEW YORK STATE.



/^O



Betts, E. G. Aldrich, G. W. Gorrill, B. R. Nairn, P. Brooks, W. W. Wright;
Woman Phys., H. J. Kuhlmann.

L,E COUTEUL.X ST. MARY'S.— Institution for the Improved In-
struction of Deaf-Mutes. Incorporated September 26, 1853. In charge of the
Sisters of St. Joseph (R. C). Children are received at the age of five and re-
tained until twenty.

CANAAN FOUR CORNERS.

BERKSHIRE INDUSTRIAIi FARM.— Receives unruly boys, be-
tween si.x and sixteen years, by deed of surrender from parents or guar-
dians, by commitment by magistrate, and by transfer from other institutions.
Apply for further information to the Supt., W. W. Mayo, at the farm.

CENTRAL ISLIP.
CENTRAL, ISLIP STATE HOSPITAL, (for the Insane).— Tel. 19
Islip. Supt., G. A. Smith; M. B. Heyman, 1st Asst. Phys.; C. G. Brink, 2d
Asst. Phys. ; H. G. Gibson, E. T. Murray, F. Hinkley, C. B. West, C. L.
Vaux, A. Brill, Asst. Phys. ; G. C. H. Burns, G. W. Mills, J. D. Crane, Jr.
Asst. Phys. ; K. R. Owen, Y.'oman Phys. ; D. C. Wiggin, Med. Interne.

CLAA BRACK.
THORLEY-LYONS HOME FOR DELICATE CHILDREN.-

Delicate and deformed children ar5 received. Accommodates fifty-two. There
are no charges.

Att'd Phys., R. W. Bell.

I3ANNEMORA.

DANNEMORA STATE HOSPITAL (For Convict Insane).— Med.
Supt., C. H. North; 1st Asst. Phys., T. I. Townsend; Asst. Phys., R. S.
Macdouald.

DOBB^ FERRY.

JUVENILE ASYLUM, NEAV YORK.— Dobbs Ferry. Tel. 107
Dobbs Ferry: Office of corporation, 106 W. 27th St., N. Y. Apply to Children's
Court, 66 3d av. Truant and disobedient children, and such as requir* dis-
cipline between the ages of four and fourteen years, belonging to th« city
of Ne.v York. The term for which children are detained in the Asylum
depends on their improvement and reformation. Vis. Days, the last Thu;'s.
of each month. Agency for placing children in homes, 79 Dearborn st., Chicago.

Supt. C. D. Hilles; Phys., R. Denniston.

ST. CHRISTOPHER'S HOME FOR CHILDREN.-Under the
auspices of the M. E. Church, and receives, pn legal surrender, children be-
tween the age of two and ten years, retains them until the age of eighteen,
or until suitable homes have been secured. Friends of the children are re-
ceived on the first Saturday of each month from 2 to 5 P. M. Apply to Mrs.
J. H. Littell, 2S W. 50th st.. New York City.

ELMIRA.

NEW^ YORK STATE REFORMATORY.— Established 1876, for the
reformation of male prisoners between the ages of sixteen and thirty years,
who have been convicted of their first felony.

Supt., J. F. Scott; Sr. Phys., F. L. Christian; Asst. Phys., L. C. Day.

FISHKILL-ON-HUDSON.

MATTEAWAN STATE HOSPITAL (For the Insane).— Tel. 236. For
patients accused of crime in whose case insanity is a defense, and who may
thereupon be committed by the courts. It also receives insane criminals from
penitentiaries convicted of petty crimes and misdemeanors. Vis. Days, 2 to 5,
except Sun. and holidays.

Med. Supt., R. B. Lamb; Asst. Phys., W. M. Clark, A. T. Baker, K. Sears,
R. F. C. Kieb.

GOW ANDA.

GOWANDA STATE HO.MCEOPATHIC HOSPITAL (For the
Insane).— Tel. 171.
.Med. Supt., D. H. Arthur; 1st Asst. Phys., C. A. Potter; Asst. Phys., R. M.



726 BENEVOLENT INSTITUTIONS OF NEW YORK STATE.

Schley; Phys., F. C. Robbins; Woman Phys., A. E. Schley; Med. Interne, C.
von A. Schneider.

HASTI\GS-0\-IILDSOX.

ORPHAN ASYI.FM I\ THE CITY OF \E1V YORK (P. E).

Destitute orphans of both sexes between the ages of two and ten year3 are
recti ved gratuitously. Vis. Day, last Sat. afternoon of each month. R. R.
Reeder, Supt. Apply, with children for admission, to the Executive Committee,
Thurs. from 10 to 12, Room 516, United Charities bldg., 105 E. 22d at.

KING'S PARK.

KING'S PARK STATE HOSPITAL (For the Insane).— Tel. 11
Northport. Vis. Days, Wed., Sun. and legal holidays.

Supt., W. A. Macy, M. D. ; 1st Asst. Phys., G. O'Hanlon; 2d Asst. Phys., A.
J. Capron; Asst. Phys., W. H. Hagenbuch, T. A. Pritchard, A. E. Soper, W.
H. Sanford, T. W. Simon; Jr. Phys., A. J. Rosanoff, A. E. Ullman, E. T.
Powers; Woman Phys., A. Craig; Med. Internes, J. T. Shea, G. Teehan.

ST. JOHM.AXD, THE SOCIETY OF.— A church comumnity of
about 350 — adults and children. About one-half of the beneficiaries are support-
ed free, but the charge is $340 per year for an aged couple, 5180 per year for
an old woman, $170 per year for an old man and $125 per year for a child.
Children are admitted between the ages of two and ten. Boys are kept until
fourteen years of age; girls until seventeen or eighteen to be trained for do-
mestic service. Apply to the Superintendent, Rev. H. Chamberlaine, 49 W.
20th St., on Thurs.. between 12.30 and 2, or by letter to King's Park. L. I.

LIBERTY, NETV YORK.

LOOMIS SANATORIUM (For the treatment of tuberculosis).— Liberty,
Sullivan County, N. Y Hopeless cases not admitted. Mrs. R. Irvin, Pres. ;
Mrs. F. H. Potter, Sec. ; H. R. Taylor, Treas.

Board, W. M. Polk, H. P. Loomis, F. H. Bosworth, V. Y. Bowditch. W. F.
Chappell, E. G. Janeway, H. M. King, J. W. Markoe, F. E. Miller, E. O.
Otis, C. E. Quimby, A. A. Smith, D. M. Stimson, H. F. Walker; Staff, H. M.
King, Chief; H. B. Neagle, Asso. Phys. res. at Annex, E. E. Hubbard; Supt.,
J. J. Donohue.

Applications for admission should be made to the Physician-in-Chief, and
wherever possible through the family physician. There is also a Children's
Cottage in connection with the Annex. Even young infants are admitted.

MIDDLETOW^N.

MIDDLETOWN STATE HOM(EOPATHIC HOSPITAL (For
the Insane).

Med. Supt., M. C. Ashley; Ist Asst Phys., R. C. Woodman; 2d Asst Phys.,
G. F. Brewster; Asst. Phys., R. E. Mitchell, A. S. Moore; Jr. Asst. Phys.,
H. V. Bingham; Woman Phys., C. Barrus; Internes, H. B. Ballon, N. W.
Thompson, J. F. Fish.

MINEOLA.

CHILDREN'S HOME OF MINEOLA has 60 inmates. Phys. in
charge, E. D. Skinner, Mineola. Consult. Phys., J. H. Bogart, Roslyn.

MT. YERNON.
MARY FISHER HOME ASSOCLATION (Formerly the Home Hotel
Association), S15 N. 4th av., Mt. Vernon, N. Y. A home for professio'jal
persons of either sex. Those who are able to pay $6 per week. Apply to the
founder. Miss Mary A. Fisher.

THE MARTHA WILSON HOME.— Applicants for admission to the
Home must have been residents of the Town of Eastchester or the City of
Mount Vernon for the five years preceding application. Every applicant, before
final admission, shall be received on probation for a term of four months.
Admission fee, $200.

Matron, Mrs. A. M. Brewer; Att'd Phys., T. F. Goodwin, N. H. Ives.

i;\"ARTBI RG ORPHANS' FARM SCHOOL (Of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church).— On legal surrender this Institution receives gratuitously



BENEVOLENT INSTITUTIONS OF NEW YORK STATE. 727

oip'naD boys and girls between four and ten years of age. Apply to the rector,
Rev. G. C. Berkemefer, Mt. Vernon. J. Lewin, Att'd Phys.

NEWARK.

STATE CLSTODIAI. ASYLUM FOR FEEBLE-MINDED

WOMEN.— For the care and protection of indigent, feeble-minded women of
child-bearing capacity, who are residents of the State. Insane and helpless
cases are not received. C. W. Winspear, Supt. ; A. Wamecke, House Phys.

NETV YORK CITY.

BOROUGHS OF MANHATTAN AND BRONX.
CITY AND COUNTY RELIEF.

DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC CHARITIES, THE.— Estab. Cnap-
ter 912, Laws of 1895, and the powers thereof outlined by Chapter XIII., of
Greater New York Charter, as adopted 1897 and amended 1901. Office, foot of
E. 26th St. Under one Commissioner who has charge of all the Institutions
of the Dept. of Public Charities. Those on the Island of Manhattan and
the Borough of the Bronx are under a Board of Managers. R. W. Hebberd,
Commissioner; R. C. Baker, 1st Deputy Commissioner; J. J. Mclnerney, 2d
Deputy Commissioner; J. McK. Borden, Sec. ; G. W. Meeks, Supt. Bureau of
Dependent Adults: F. E. Bauer, Supt. of the Children's Bureau at 66 Third av.
All applications for admission to the hospitals, almshouses, asylums, nurseries,
and other institutions in charge of the Department of Public Charities, must be
made to the Superintendent of Dependent Adults, at the foot of E. 26th st. All
the institutions are readied or visited only by permits Issued by the Super-
intendent.

BUREAU OF DEPENDENT ADULTS.— Distributes the annual
appropriations to the poor adult blind, not inmates of any city Institution;
aids sick and destitute non-residents to reach their homes, and furnishes
burial for destitute and unknown cases. It has charge of all bodies sent to
the Harlem and 26th st. morgues.

AMERICAN FEMAI>E GU.4RDIAN SOCIETY, AND HOME
FOR THE FRIENDLESS.— 936 Woody Crest av. Established in 1834.
It aims to save from degradation friendless and neglected children. The.se
children, after being legally surrendered to the Society, are transferred by
adoption to Christian families. Also cares for destitute children until their
parents are able to provide a home for them. The Society has twelve In-
dustrial schools in the poorer parts of the' city. Has a Summer Homo Pt
Oceanport, N. J., and the Bernet Home at Liberty, N. Y. Pres., Mrs. F.
M. Weeks; Cor. Sec, Mrs. A. P. Morewood; Rec. Sec, Mrs. L. D. White;
Treas., Mr.s. S. F. Hallock.

BLIND ASYLUM FOR THE DESTITUTE. (Society for the Re-
lief of the destitute blind of the Ciiy of New York and its vicinity.)— S. W.
cor. Amsterdam av. and 104th st. Those who are able to pay $10 per month,
but none are refused. Application for admission should be made to the
Executive Committee at the Home on the first Tues. of each month at
11.15 A. M.

C. A. Schermerhorn, Sec, 1286 Bway.

BLIND ASYLUM FOR INDIGENT. (Department of Public Chari-
ties. )— A department of the City Home on Blackwell's Island, containing male
and female divisions for the destitute blind. Apply to Superintendent of
Bureau of Dependent Adults, foot of E. 26th st., from 9 A. M. to 4 P. M.

BLIND, THE NEW YORK IN^^TITUTION FOR.— 34th st. and
9th av. For the education and training of the young blind. Apply to E. B.
Tewksbury, Principal. Vis. Day, We.L, 9 to 12 and 2 to 4.

CATHOLIC PROTECTORY, THE NEW^ YORK.-Van Nest Sta.
Office and House of Reception, 415 Broome st.. New York. Tel. 175 Spring.
Takes care of three classes of children, viz. : (1) those under fourteen years
of age entrusted for protection or reformation; (2) those between seven and



728 1JENEV()I,I-:XT INSTITUTIONS OF NEW YORK STATE.

sixteen committed as idle, truant, vicious, or homeless, by order of magistrates
or other competent authority; (3) those of like age transferred by the Depart-
ment of Public Charities. Male Dept., West Farms Road, Van Nest. Tel. 170
Westchester. In charge of the Brothers of the Christian Schools. Female
Dept., Post Road, Van Nest. Tel. 5 Westchester. In charge of the Sisters
of Charity.

Att'd Phys., House of Reception, O. C. Thum; J. W. Droogan, Male Dept.;
R. A. Joyce, Female Dept.; C. C. Bradley, Ophthal.

CHAPIN HOME FOR THE AGED AND INFIRM.— 151 E. 66th
St. For white men and women not less than sixty-five years of age. Appli-
cants must pay an admission fee of $500. Mrs. A. E. Rose, Matron. Apply to
the Committee on Admission, or to the Matron before the second Wed. of the
month.

CHARITY ORGANIZATION SOCIETY.— General offices. United
Charities bldg., 105 E. 22d st. Tel. 4066 Gramercy. Office hours, 9 to 5;
on Sat. 9 A. M. to 1 P. M., and in the summer until 12 P. M. The Boroughs
of Manhattan and the Bronx are covered by the Society's district committees.
Officers: R. W. de Forest, Pres. ; J. P. Morgan, Treas. ; E. T. Devine, Gen.
Sec; W. F. Persons, Asst. Sec. All applicants for relief should be referred to
the nearest District Office, or to the Application Bureau, 105 E. 22d St., open
daily until midnight. District Offices: 59 Morton St.; 127 Chrystie St.; 316 W.
42d St.; 1947 B'way; 208 E. 50th St.; 68 Manhattan st. ; 1083 Lexington av. ; 15
E. 125th St.; 627 E. 145th st. Publishes "Charities and the Commons," a
weekly review of local and general philanthropy. - E. T. Devine, Editor. Also
the New York Charities Directory, a classified and descriptive guide to the
philanthropic, social and religious resources of the city of New York. Main-
tains in its Industrial Building, 516 W. 2Sth St.. a woodyard and a laundry.
Conducts a Philanthropy for training of social workers, S. McC. Lindsay,
and has a Department for Improvement of Social Conditions, which includes
housing reform, prevention -of tuberculo.sis and similar movements. L. Veiller,
Director Bureau of Advice and Information, gives information concerning the
standing and management of charitable institutions and agencies.

CHILDREN'S AID SOCIETY, THE— United Charities bldg., 105 E.
22d St., New York. Organized in 1853 by the late Charles Loring Brace, and
incorporated in 1855; to teach children how to help themselves. It has nine-
teen day and seven evening schools and four classes for crippled children. A
public laundry, with a dressmaking, sewing-machine, and typewriting school
is attached, at 307 E. 12th st., in connection with the work of the Elizabeth
Home for Girls. It maintains a number of lodging houses and reading rooms.

W. C. Osborne, Pres. ; C. L. Brace, Sec. ; M. Dupuy, Supt. of Schools.

COLORED ORPHAN ASYLUM.— W. 143d st. and B'way. Cares for

orphans of both sexes, between two and ten years of age. Vis. Days, daily,

except Sat. and Sun., 10 to 4. Apply to the Supt., M. K. Sherwin, at the
Asylum.

CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL, ST. ANDREW S.-211-213 E. 17th
St. In charge of the Sisterhood of St. John Baptist. Receives, fiee of charge,
if unable to pay, girls and women who need care and rest, but who are not
sufficiently ill to be received in a general hospital. All contagious, chronic,
nervous and mental diseases are excluded. Patients received during the sum-
mer at St. Andrew's Rest, Woodcliffe, N. J.

CONVALE' CENTS, NEW YORK HOME FOR.-433 E. llSth st.
Receives for a few weeks respectable Protestant women who have been dis-
charged from hospital as convalescent or who are in need of such care. For
admission, apply at home with recommendation.

DEAF AND DUMB, NEW YORK INSTITUTION FOR THE
INSTRUCTION OF.— 163d st. and Fort Washington av. Free school for all
deaf children of the State over five years of age. Children between the ages
of five and twelve are admitted by application to the Commissioner of Chari-
ties; those over that age on application to the Commissioner of Education at
Albany. Apply to E. H. Currier, Principal, Post-office station "M."



BEXEVOLENT IXSTITUTIOXS OF NEW YORK STATE. 729

DIET IvITCHEIV ASSOCIATION, NEW YORK.— Kitchens are
open from 9 A. M. to 1 P. M., and are located as follows: Raymond Kitchen,
423 W. 41st St.; Wickham Kitchen, 137 Centre st. : Rusch Kitchen. 146 7th st. ;



Online LibraryMedical Society of the State of New York (1807- )Medical directory of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut (Volume v.9) → online text (page 106 of 135)