Medical Society of the State of North Carolina. An.

Transactions of the Medical Society of the State of North Carolina [serial] (Volume 62 (1915)) online

. (page 39 of 58)
Online LibraryMedical Society of the State of North Carolina. AnTransactions of the Medical Society of the State of North Carolina [serial] (Volume 62 (1915)) → online text (page 39 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


intimation of suicidal purpose, and the tlieory is tliat his constantly failing
health brought on a despondent state of mind and his act of self-destruction.

Dr. Frank H. Holmes of Clinton died at Asheville, N. C.

The only history of a country worthy of being recorded is the bio-
graphical, the history of its men and women. That community attains
a high place in written records which holds in endearment the memory
of a great man. Such a man was Frank H. Holmes. He was truly one
of God's noblemen. His place in the profession in eastern North Caro-
lina will not be filled in a generation.

He was born in Clinton, North Carolina, February 26, 1870, and died
in Asheville, April 18, 1915. He had, therefore, just rounded his 45th
year. Called in the prime of life, he laid down his armor without a
murmur.

Dr. Holmes was the son of Dr. Allmand Holmes, who was for nearly
fifty years one of the foremost surgeons of the State. His mother Avas
Miss Fannie Sillars, of one of the finest families of the Old South. Her
life has been peculiarly a sad one. The last of her own family, Colonel
Sillars, being killed with the Array of Virginia in 1865 ; mother of a
family of five children, all reaching maturity, she still survives them all
at the age of 80 ; Dr. Holmes being the last child to go.

Dr. Holmes graduated from the University of Maryland in 1895, tak-
ing his first two years in medicine at Chapel Hill. He located in his
home town, Clinton, where he soon achieved success in medicine and
established a brilliant repu"tation as a surgeon. In October, 1900, he
was married to Miss Sallie Lee McKinnon of Clinton, only daughter of
Rev. Dr. and Mrs. Luther McKinnon. One son was born to them, who
died in infancy after an illness of only one week.

He took an active part in the affairs of his town and county. He had
served a term as superintendent of health of Sampson County and one
term as an alderman for the town of Clinton. He was always to be
found among the hard workers for the progress of his community. At



MEMORIAL EXERCISES. 343

the time of his death he was a meniher of the Committee on Constitution
and By-Laws of the Xorth Carolina Medical Society. He never sought
honors at the hands of his fellow physicians. He despised sham and
hypocrisy ahove all things.

The subject of this sketch was for eight years a major surgeon in the
State Guard. He Avas first appointed by his friend, the late Governor
Aycock, reappointed by Governor Glenn, and offered a third consecutive
appointment by Governor Kitchin, but declined because the duties had
become too arduous for his frail health.

He continued in active practice, the leading physician of Sampson
County, until stricken by disease on December 20, 1914, from which
illness he never rallied. Early in February of this year he was carried
to Asheville by the writer of this sketch and his wife, who was indeed
faithful unto death. There in the "Land of the Sky," surrounded by all
the comforts that loving hands and medical skill could provide, he "met
his Pilot face to face." On a peaceful spring Sabbath, as the sun sank
from sight behind the eternal hills, his beautiful spirit went out into the
realms of immortality. His going was as peaceful as the "sinking of a
summer sun." Conscious, and resigned to the will of the "Master of all
good workmen," he died as he had lived — a man.

His remains were conveyed to Clinton, where on Tuesday afternoon,
April 20th, amid a great concourse of sorrowing friends, all that was
mortal of this lovable man was laid to rest by the side of his fathers.
The Sampson County Medical Society and the Clinton Bar Association
attended his burial in a body. Most of the business houses in the town
were closed as a mark of respect.

As the great wave of sincere grief swept over that gathering, one could
not be unmindful of the words of Lord Byron, "He had kept the white-
ness of his soul, and thus men o'er him wept."

With this broken tribute I close, trusting that He who said "Come
unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest,"
may comfort the aged mother and the heartbroken wife. — G. M. Cooper.

Dr. J. T. Johnson of Hickory died December 24, 1914. The follow-
ing account is given in a special dispatch to the News and Observer:

Dr. .T. T. .Tolnison. one of Hu-kory's oldest and best known physicians, died
yesterday, liis deatli Itcinj; caused by pneuiuonia. Had lie lived until March
.31, lie would have I)een 7!) years of age. He had been seriously ill since Tues-
day. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Sue Warlick .Tolmson, and two dauudi-
ters. Misses Mamie Sue and Eftie .Johnson.

Dr. Johnson entered the Civil War in March, 1861, being elected second
lieutenant of Company K, Thirty-fifth North Carolina Regiment, half of



344 NORTH CAROLINA MEDICAL SOCIETY.

which company was made up from Catawba and the other half from Burke
County. At Raleigh, when they were formed into the regiment, Dr. J. R.
Ellis, who had been elected captain at the organization of the company, was
elected assistant surgeon of the regiment. This left the captaincy vacant, and
Dr. Johnson was chosen to fill this place.

About three or four months later the regiment was reorganized, and Dr.
Johnson was reelected captain. One year later, on the battle-field of Fi-ed-
ericksburg, he was promoted to major and given half the regiment and sent
to the front picket line. Promotions to lieutenant colonel and later to colonel
followed, and he was given a regiment, which he commanded until the close of
the war. He was captured at the battle of Five Forks, April 1, 1865, and car-
ried to Johnson's Island, Ohio. He was released and returned home in June,
1865.

He was in a great many hard fought battles. Wounded in the leg at the bat-
tle of Malvern Hill, received a bad wound on the top of his head. He was also
wounded in the leg at the battle of Bermuda Hundred.

Since the war he had made his home in Hickory and had practiced medicine.
He was a member of the First Methodist Church and was for a long time
superintendent of the Sunday-school. He was an active churchman.

Dr. William J. Lumsden of Elizabeth City died October 14, 1914.
A special dispatch to the News and Observer says:

Dr. William J. Lumsden died this afternoon at 1 :15, after an illness of three
days, the result of a stroke of paralysis which he sustained Sunday night at
9 o'clock. Funeral services will be conducted from the Methodist Church at 4
o'clock Friday afternoon by Rev. G. F. Smith ; interment in Hollywood Cem-
etery.

Dr. Lumsden was 68 years old and was one of the most active men in the
community until the spring of 1912, when he was the victim of a fall which so
crippled him that he was forced to retire from active life, giving up a big
practice. He was able to walk With crutches after the accident, but Elizabeth
City saw little of him, as he seldom ever left home, except to take an occa-
sional automobile ride, and this was the last thing that he ever did. He and
his wife were taken by a friend on a long automobile trip last Sunday after-
noon to Hertford and Eden ton. He seemed to enjoy the trip and was in the
best of spirits when he returned home ; but in less than three hours he had be-
come paralyzed, passing into a state of coma from which he never regained con-
sciousness. During his two years of illness he was always bright and cheer-
ful, always patient in his afflictions, and it was a treat to his intimate friends
to visit him and spend hours in social intercourse.

Dr. Lumsden was born in Greensboro, and first saw Elizabeth City in the
year of 1858. His father. Rev. J. D. Lumsden, was a Methodist minister and
was sent to Elizabeth City b.v his Conference. When the Civil War began he was
16 years old. He ran away from school and enlisted in the Confederate Army,
but soon after his enlistment was taken ill and his father took him from the
army on account of his age and sent him to the Virginia Military Institute.
He was with the V. M. I. cadets in the memorable battle of New Market on
April 15, 1864, and at Richmond at the evacuation. From Richmond he worked



MEMORIAL EXERCISES. 345

his way to Greensboro and joined General Johnson. After the surrender, he
returned to Elizabeth City. His father was engaged in farming in the lower
part of Pasquotank County, and he joined his father on the farm. He taught
school for some time in Pasquotank County and at South Mills. He then
went to Hertford and studied medicine under Dr. Smith, then entered the
University of Maryland and graduated in the year 1872, returned to Elizabeth
City and spent liis life here in the practice of medicine. He was married in
1874 to Miss Sarah L. Kennedy of Pasquotank County.

During the forty years of his continuous practice he became one of the most
learned surgeons and physicians in eastern North Carolina and the most be-
loved physician in this section. As a physician and surgeon during the past
forty years he endeared himself to thousands of men, women, and children.

Dr. Theodore F. Misenheimer of Morven, ]^. C, died at his home
May 26, 1915, of pneumonia. He would have been 63 years of age
July 12th. He was educated at Mount Pleasant Seminary; read medi-
cine under Dr. Paul Barrier of Cabarrus County; entered ]^ew York
University in 1875, graduating with honor and distinction after spending
four years there. His first practice was at Big Lick, Stanly County, and
after a few years he came to Morven, in December, 1882, he being the
first practicing physician to locate there. On February 14, 1883, he was
married to Miss ^^Tannie B. Abercrombie, daughter of Mrs. Winey Dun-
lap Allen. Dr. Misenheimer was regarded by many as one of the most
skillful physicians in this section and was eminently successful in his
profession for over thirty-five years. He is survived by a wife and one
daughter.

Dr. Elbert Alfred Moye, Jr., the eldest son of Elbert Alfred Moye
and Mary Louise Edwards, was born near Farmville, Pitt County, ISTorth
Carolina, July 14, 1869.

He received his preparatory education at Davis's School, LaGrange,
'N. C. ; completed a business course at Lexington, Kentucky ; graduated
at the University of ]^orth Carolina, and received his diploma to practice
medicine from the Jefferson Medical College in 1895.

He was one of five, out of a class of two hundred, to be selected as an
interne for Jefferson Hospital, which position he filled with credit to
himself and to the institution he served.

He obtained license from the Board of Medical Examiners of Virginia
and iN'orth Carolina in 1895, he and Dr. Murphey receiving 98, the high-
est mark given by North Carolina's board that year. He located for his
life's work in Greenville in 1896, rapidly acquiring a most satisfactory
practice.



346 NORTH CAROLINA MEDICAL SOCIETY.

He married Miss Hortense Forbes in 1897. Four children blessed tliis
union — Elbert Alfred, Jr., Robert Orville, Clara Louise, and James
McKinney. He associated himself in the practice of medicine with Dr.
Charles O'H. Laughinghouse in 1902, which copartnership was dissolved
in 1908 on account of Dr. Moye's failing health.

After resting a year, he resumed practice ; operating Moye's Pharmacy
in connection with his practice from 1910 to 1912. His health compelled
him to again retire from practice in 1912, at which time he sold his prac-
tice and pharmacy to Dr. T. G. Basnight. From 1912 he devoted his
time to the management of his business affairs, until July 8, 1914, the
date of his death.

He was strenuously energetic, aggressively progressive, possessing the
remarkable capacity for winning to himself the things he most desired.
He made friends and kept them, and always wielded a powerful influ-
ence over his surroundings. At college he was prominent as a leader, in
the class-room, in college life, and in athletics.

Besides the influence he wielded in his profession, he was prominent in
politics, a director of two banks, owner of large interests in the Green-
ville Knitting Mills, and controlling interest in the Greenville Manufac-
turing Company. He was interested largely in mercantile firms, and
owned and operated several farms.

His early death was the profession's loss and nothing less than a blow
to his community's progress. — CJias. O'H. Laughinghouse.

Dr. Calvin J. Parlier of Blowing Rock died at the Charlotte Sana-
torium December 17, 1914. The following account is taken from the
Charlotte Neivs:

Dr. Calvin J. Parlier died last nij^lit a 11 o'clock at the Charlotte Sanato-
rium and the remains were taken this morning to Moravian Falls, Wilkes
County, for interment.

Dr. Parlier had been a sufferer for a year with high bkM)d pressure and
hardening arteries. He came to the .Sanatorium a year ago for treatment and
returned here in November. He was able to walk when he came, but he could
not, nor could his skilled colleagues who ministered unto liim, master the dis-
ease which was upon him. He progressed slowly and surely toward the inev-
itable.

Yesterday marked the final change. Each minute death was imminent. At
11 o'clock the end came. With him, besides pliysicians and friends at the
Sanatorium was Mrs. R. L. Scroggs. a sister. Dr. Parlier was a native
of Wilkes and spent the greater part of his life there. Some years ago
he went higher up into the mountains, settling at Blowing Rock. He com-
manded a fine practice in Watauga, Caldwell, and other mountain coun-
ties, in each and all being loved as man and esteemed as physician. He was
very close to the hearts of the people, and his death is a personal sorrow to



MEMORIAL EXERCISES. 347

hundreds. He was president of the bank at Blowinjj; Rock and a leading man
of affairs in that section. He was nnman-ied. Surviving him are his mother,
several brothers and sisters.

Dr. Charles E. Ross, member Burke County Medical Society, State
Medical and American Medical Associations, died April 1, 1915.

The Charlotte Observer printed the following concerning the deceased :

The funeral of Dr. Charles E. Ross, a well known Morganton physician,
whose death occurred at 2 o'clock yesterday morning at Grace Hospital in
that town, will be conducted this afternoon at 1 :30 o'clock at the Presbyterian
Church at Morgantou and interment will occur at the city cemetery.

The news of his death was learned of in Charlotte with deep regret, and it
was a painful shock to his relatives. His brother, Mr. James H. Ross, had
received Wednesday a letter from Dr. Ross's daughter stating that her father
was so much improved that he was able to sit up Monday. Wednesday of last
week he was taken ill with a chill and Thursday he entered the hospital.

Dr. Ross was born in Steele Creek Township June 30, 1862, at the old Ross
home 2 miles below Steele Creek Church. He was a son of Robert Alexander
Ross and Mary Grier Ross, both being members of prominent Mecklenburg
families native to that vicinity.

Dr. Ross spent his boyhood years at home and attended neighborhood
schools. He then went to college. In 1890 he was graduated in medicine from
the University of Maryland. He was married on June 16, 1891, to Miss Kate
Lenoir Chambers, a daughter of the late Joseph S. Chambers of Iredell. To
them were born four children. Miss Katharine Ross, a teacher in the school at
Morganton, Miss Martha Ross, a junior at Agnes Scott, Charles Hill Ro.ss,
and Robert Alexander Ross of Morganton. Mrs. Ross died in October, 1913.

Dr. Ross located first for tlie practice of his profession in Belmont, Gas-
ton County, where he remained only a short time. He then went to Morgan-
ton and became a member of the medical staff at the State Hospital. For
fifteen years he held this position, displaying marked ability. For the past
ten years he had been one of Morganton's most prominent practicing physi-
cians.

Dr. Ross was a man of strong character, an earnest Christian, a model
father, and was highly esteemed as a man and as a physician. He was an
elder in the Presbyterian Church and was a zealous and useful churchman.

Dr. Frank Havens Russell of Wilmington died June 4, 1915.
The following interesting account is taken from the Wihnington Star
of June 5, 1915 :

The death of no Wilmington physician could bring a greater degree of sor-
row to a larger number of hearts than the passing of Dr. Frank Havens Rus-
sell, which occurred at 8 :.30 o'clock last night at his home. No. 115 South
Third Street, following an immediate illness of two weeks, death having
ensued as the result of a recurrent attack of some cerebral trouble which he
first suffered some months ago while on a professional visit to Baltimore, Md.,
with a patient.



348 NOKTH CAKOLINA MEDICAL SOCIETY.

At the time of his first attack it was thought that Dr. Russell could not
live, though receiving the attention of the world's greatest specialists in a Bal-
timore hospital ; but he showed wonderful recuperative powers, and soon
after his return to Wilmington, after recuperating a month at the home of his
friend, Mr. W. B. Cooper, on the Sound, he was able to resume his practice in
a limited way, and hundreds of friends expressed the hope that as time wore
on he might regain his health permanently. He seemed to improve for a
while, but two weeks ago his condition began to grow worse, and the end
came last night rather suddenly, while members of his family, a devoted nurse,
and two physician friends, Dr. Charles P. Bolles and Dr. Charles T. Harper,
were with him.

The news of his death will be received all over the city and elsewhere with
the deepest sorrow. He enjoyed perhaps one of the very largest practices in
the city, and his acquaintanceship was large. Among all classes and condi-
tions of men he enjoyed a confidence, a respect, and an esteem that was vouch-
safed to few men. Naturally retiring in his disposition, he did not strive to
be popular nor to enjoy the wide friendship that was his, but those who knew
him best were his warmest and most sincere friends. In his death the com-
munity loses one of its best citizens and most successful practitioners.

Dr. Russell was born May 6, 1872, and had, therefore, just passed his 43d
year. His father is Mr. Thomas B. Russell, now of advanced years and living
at Laurinburg, N. C, himself ill and unable to be in Wilmington during the
illness of his son. His mother was Miss Fannie B. Havens of Washington,
N. C.

Dr. Russell was educated in the scliools of Wilmington, and received his
first medical instruction at the North Carolina Medical College at Davidson.
Afterwards he attended the University of Virginia at Charlottesville, com-
pleting his medical education at the University of Maryland, in Baltimore.
Later he took extensive post-graduate work at different times in New York
and elsewhere. He was devoted to the science of medicine and its practice,
losing no opportunity to ground himself thoroughly in all that made for the
successful practitioner.

Early in his professional career Dr. Russell married Miss Roberta Lilly, a
daughter of the late Mr. Edmond Lilly and Mrs. Lilly, who passed away, after
a long residence in Wilmington, a few years since. His wife and three chil-
dren survive Dr. Russell, the children being Frank H., Jr., about 15 years of
age, and little Misses Catherine and Jane Russell, all tenderly devoted to their
father. There are also surviving two brothers, Lindsay Russell, Esq., a promi-
nent lawyer of New York City, and Bryan Russell of Quintaque, Tex., and one
sister, Mrs. Frank Morse of Washington, N. C. Those who are so deepl.v
bereaved in the death of Dr. Russell have the profound sympathy of a host of
friends in their sorrow.

Dr. J. M. Stevens, the oldest practicing pliysician in Buncombe
County, died at the age of 88. He continued in active practice till the
date of his death, May 17, 1915. A man of splendid physique, straight
as an Indian. Together with seven brothers, served with distinction as
soldier and surgeon during the Civil War.



MEMORIAL EXERCISES.



349



Dr. Roy Yaughax of Durliam died January 17, 1915. Graduate of
Medical College of Virginia, 1909. The following is taken from the
Littleton Xews-Be porter of January 22:

After an illness lasting through many months with tuberculosis. Dr. Roy
Vaughan died at the home of his father in Durham last Sunday night. Dr.
Vaughan was well known and greatly beloved by many of our readers. He
was a young man of excellent habits and when the fatal disease marked him
as its victim was practicing medicine with marked success and popularity.
The future held out to him prosiiects of a successful career. Heroically he
fought the disease, but abided its results with patience and resignation. He
leaves a wife, who has been an untiring comfort and helpmate to him through
all of his afflictions. She and their child have the heartfelt sympathy of a
host of friends in the sad bereavement that has befallen them. His remains
were brought to Vaughan and on Tuesday buried near the scenes that were
ever dear to his heart.

Dr. J. C. Waltox, age 59, for many years prominent in the practice
of his profession in Reidsville, IST. C.

Dr. John Chappell Walton was born in Caswell County, JSTorth Caro-
lina, on August 19, 1855. He received in his boyhood days a com-
mon-school education. After deciding upon medicine as his life-work,
he attended the Louisville Medical College, graduating there in 1878.
For the practice of his profession he located in Reidsville, N. C, where
he was quite successful. In 1902 he moved to Chase City, Vii'ginia, to
the Mecklenburg Hotel, to take charge of the practice at that famous
resort. While at Chase City he became very much interested in hydro-
therapy, making for himself a considerable reputation in this particular
branch of medicine. In 1907 he moved to Richmond, Virginia, opening
up quite an extensive office for the practice of his specialty. His practice
soon grew, drawing patients not only from Richmond and vicinity, but
from other cities and other States. During his several years of practice
he at different times took post-graduate work at Johns Hopkins, Medico-
Chirurgical College, Philadelphia, and the post-graduate and polyclinic
hospitals in New York.

He was a member of the JSTorth Carolina State Board of Medical
Examiners, 1900-1902. On leaving JSTortli Carolina he was made an
honorary fellow of the State Medical Society. He was also a member of
the American Medical Association, the Association of Railway Surgeons,
and the Tri-State Medical Society. He was also neurologist for the
Southern Railway system, which office he held up to the time of his re-
tirement from practice.

Dr. Walton married Miss Bessie Hall of Ridgefield, Xew Jersey, in
October, 1901.



350 NORTH CAROLINA MEDICAL SOCIETY.

In January, 1913, he had a cerebral embolus, which necessitated his
retirement from practice, and on August 3d of the same year he had a
cerebral hemorrhage, which caused paralysis of the entire right side,
from which attack he was confined to his bed until his death on March
11, 1915.

Dr. Walton demonstrated that he was a true physician ; and his genial
manner, his magnetic influence, his honesty of purpose, together with an
entire absence of display to make an impression, his great interest in his
cases, the thoroughness of his diagnoses and treatment, with so many
cures, made his clientele value his services and hold him in high personal
esteem. Aside from his profession, he had a strong and noble character.
He appreciated his friends, and showed his gratitude on every occasion.
He demonstrated the beautiful harmony that should exist between the
characteristics of the gentleman and the qualifications of the physician ;
and we know of no one to whom we could point with more pride for
emulation.

"After life's fitful fever, he sleeps well."

— /. T. J. Battle.

M. H. Fletcher, M.D.,
A. W. Knox, M.D.,
M. L. Stevens, M.D.,
C ommittee on Obituaries.



ANNUAL ESSAY.



THE PRESEK^T STATUS OF TUBERCULOSIS KISTOWLEDGE.



Mary E. Lapham, M.D., Highlaxds Camp Sanatorium,
Highlands, N. C.



The results of ten years of tuberculosis work should be the reduction
of the number of cases, a lessened need for hospitals, beds, and nurses,
and a general lightening of expenses. Have we obtained these results?
Ask Chicago, with its expense roll for its new $2,500,000 hospital for
tuberculosis patients alone. Ask i^ew York, Avith its $3,000,000 hospital
for only this class of patients and its annual expenditure of over
$2,000,000 on this one disease. Is there a single place in the world where
the number of tuberculosis cases has been reduced? Not one. On the



Online LibraryMedical Society of the State of North Carolina. AnTransactions of the Medical Society of the State of North Carolina [serial] (Volume 62 (1915)) → online text (page 39 of 58)