musician Steward.

Amherst directory online

. (page 1 of 9)
Online Librarymusician StewardAmherst directory → online text (page 1 of 9)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the:



Amherst Directory






A COMPLETE INDEX TO THE

KESIDENTS, BUSINESS, STREETS,

ETC., OF THE TOWN,



WITH



OTHER USEFUL INFORMATION.



A. B. SPARROW, COMPILER AND PUBLISHER,

r

SHIRLEY VILLAGE, MASS.

Copyright, 1895; by A. B. Sparrow.






CHAPEL ^^'^S

AMHERST DIRECTORY.



CONTENTS.



Abbreviations,

Amherst College,

Blocks, Halls, etc.,

Business Directory,

Churches,

County Officers,

Court Sittings,

Fire' Department,

Index to Advertisers,

Lodges and Societies,

Index to out-of-town patrons,

Massachusetts Agricultural College,

Population of Massachusetts,

Post-offices,

Postal Rates,

Resident Directory,

Schools,

Street Directory,

Town Officers,



5, 49

17

7

113

31

41

42

29

133

37

132

25

135

45

46

49

13

5

9



fl fieui Ideal



> > ^

You will remember that GOLIATH was very
much surprised when David hit him with a
stone. He said that such a thing had never
entered his head before.

New/ IcJeas are ISJLjmeroLJS

in our stock, — we always have the latest in

Dt^y and Fancy Goods, ••• •••

Ribbons, Laces, Gloves, Hosiery, Corsets and Underwear.
OUR SPECIALTY — Childven's Hats and Caps.

The L-atest F=atterns in *



In



Indless Variety.



YOU'LL FIND US HERE WHENE'ER YOU CALL,
FROM EARLY SPRING TILL LATE IN FALL;
AND WHEN YOU COME WE'LL USE YOU WHITE,
FROM PEEP OF DAY TILL LATE AT NIGHT.



W. C. TOWNE,



Bolles' Block,
Main Street,

(Near N. L. N. R. R.)



Amherst.



AMHEEST DIEECTORY.



MARY A. BEAMAN, :

L.7^DieS'

FINE

DRESS7VYKKING.

. . First-Class W^ork and the Leading Styles. • .

Room, Amity St., near Lincoln ave., - - AMHERST.
D. lAT. BLODO-ETT,

MASON t
BUILDER.

Residence, Whitney Street,

Near Clifton Avenue, AMHERST.




Miss M. A. FOLEY,-



^JDRESSMAKER^T"

Rooms, Montague House, Main St., - AMHERST.

FINDINGS SUPPLIED WHEN DESIRED.

JOHN WRIGLEY,

COrMTRAC-rOR ROR

Concrete : F^^y^ing,

FOR

Walks, Driveways, Stables, Factories, Ste.

FIRST-CLASS WORK. All orders receive prompt attention.
Residence, Salem Street, . . . AMHERST.



AMHERST DIRECTORY.



PORTRAITS



Etchings, Engravings, Water Colors. Oil, Crayon, and Ink Portraits.

PICTURE KRAMES, Etc.

Cor. College and "Whitney Streets, A TV/TXTTT'TDCSrn

Residence, Whitney Street, -CXlVlXlJlirlO ± .



Pleasant Street Dining Rooms,




^^^^ E. J. WADE, Manager.

^ _30ARD by the day or
week. Rates, 75c. per day;
$4 per week. Open from 6
A. M. to 1 1 p. M.

CATERINS A SFECIALIV,

Parties accomodated at short
notice.



E. GERTRUDE YOUNG,



IiflOlES'



HT^IR-ORESSING



^ • Pflf^LiOl^S.

Ladies' Hair Dressing in all the Latest Styles. Cutting, Curling, Singe-
ing, and Shampooing, at moderate prices.

Open daily from 9 A. M. to 5 v. m., and Monday, Friday and Saturday evenings.

PLEASANT STREET, OYER AMHERST CASH STORE.



L. J. SPEIAR,

HORSE and OX SHOER,

AND GENERAL BLACKSMITH.

Also Light Express and Farm Wagons,

BUILT TO ORDER.
Carriage Repairing, Etc
PLEASANT STREET, near Amity,




AMHERST.



AMHERST DIRECTORY.



STREETS, AVENUES, ETC.



Abbreviations. — N. A., North Amherst; N. A. C, North Am-
herst City; S. A., South Amherst; E. A., East Amherst.

Amity, from Pleasant, at Amherst House, west to Hadley line.

Baker, off Snell, near railroad bridge, to Northampton road.

Bay, S. A., from Hadley line, easterly, to Belchertown line.

Belchertown road, from East, E. A., at residence of George W.
Fitch, to Belchertown line.

Beston, off McClellan.

Clifton avenue, from High to Whitney.

College, from Maple to East, E. A.

Cottage, from Triangle to High.

Cowles lane, from Pleasant to North Prospect.

Dana, from Northampton to Amity.

Depot, from N. L. N. depot to Dickinson.

Dickinson, from 37 Main south to College.

East, from Main, East Amherst, opp. North East street, via Bel-
chertown road southerly, via South Amherst village to Bay
road, S. A.

East Pleasant, from Pleasant, junction West Pleasant, northerly
to N. A. City.

Elm, from Lincoln avenue to Sunset avenue.

Factory, from Leverett, N. A., to Factory Hollow.

Fearing, from Pleasant west to Wescott.

Flat Hill, N. A. C, from North East to Market.

Fowler, from School to Dickinson.

Gaylord, off No. 11 South Prospect.

Gray, from Main, near residence of H. F. Hills, north.

Green, S. A., from East south to Bay road.

Hallock, from 32 Pleasant west to North Prospect.

High, from Main, near railroad crossing, north and west to East
Pleasant.

Lessey, from Main near town hall to Triangle.

Leverett, N. A., from West Pleasant at Congregational church
to Levei'ett line.

Lincoln avenue, from Northampton road to Agricultural college-
Main, from Pleasant, at Amherst House, east to Pelham line.

Maple, or Maple avenue, from Main, at town hall, south to Am-
herst college.

Market, N. A. C, from North East to Shntesbury line.



AMHERST DIRECTORY.



McClellan, from Pleasant west to Lincoln avenue.

Meadow, N. A., from West Pleasant, opp. Cong, church, west to
Hadley line.

Mechanic, from East to and crossing Bay road, S. A.

Merchants Row, from Main, at Amherst House, south, on South
Pleasant.

Mill, from Leverett, N. A., at saw mill, east to Factory.

Northampton, from South Pleasant west to Hadley line.

North East, from Main, E. A., opp. East street, to N. A. C

North Prospect, from Amity, opp. South Prospect, north to Hal-
lock.

Orchard, from Northampton road, opp. residence of Prof. B. K.
Emerson, to Woodside avenue.

Paige, from McClellan north.

Parsons, from Woodside avenue north to Northampton street.

Phoenix Row, from Pleasant, on Main, opp. the Common, east.

Pine, from Pleasant, N. A., to North East, N. A. C.

Pleasant, from South Pleasant, at Main, to junction of East and
West Pleasant.

Pomeroy, from West to East, S. A.

Potwine Lane, East, S. A., to West, S. A.

Printing House square, rear of Phoenix Row, Main street.

Railroad, from Main, at depot, south to College.

Roberts lane, off State, N. A. C.

Salem, from Main, near residence of A. S. Stevens, E. A., north.

School, from 33 Main south to College.

Sellen, from South Pleasant, opp. Common, west to South Pros-
pect.

Shays, S. A., from Mill Valley to South Amherst village.

Short, from South Pleasant west to Parsons.

Snell, from South Pleasant, near residence of the late Prof.
Snell, to Northampton road.

South Pleasant, from Main, at Amherst House, south to Mill
Valley.

South Prospect, from Amity south to Northampton road.

South Whitney, from Main, at residence of L. H. Allen, south.

Spaulding, E. A., from Main, near residence of E, E. Dickinson,
north to the railroad.

Spring, from Maple avenue east to high school.

State, N. A. C, from Pine to Leverett line.

Strong, from East Pleasant, beyond High, to East.

Sunderland, from West Pleasant at Cong, church, N. A., north
to Sunderland line.

Sunset avenue, from Amity north to Elm.

Taylor, from High west to Gray.

Triangle, from Main, near old National Bank building, north to
West Pleasant.



AMHERST DIRECTORY.



Water, from Pine, N. A., northeasterly to Leverett line.

Wescott, northerly from foot of Fearing.

West, S. A., from Shays, near residence of the late William

Harkness, to Bay road.
West Pleasant, from 37 Pleasant to North Amherst.
Whitney, from Main, at residence of L. H. Allen, north.
Woodside avenue, from Snell to Parsons.



BLOCKS.

American block. Phoenix Row, Main.

Amherst House block. South Pleasant corner Amity.

Bates block. Pleasant, near Main.

Chase's block, Amity, opp. Amherst House.

Cook's block, Main corner Pleasant.

Cutler's block. South Pleasant, opp. Common.

Dickinson's block. Pleasant, opp. Amherst House annex.

Holland's block. Phoenix Row.

Hunt's block, South Pleasant, opp. Common.

Kellogg's block, Phoenix Row, Main.

Marsh's block, Phoenix Row.

National Bank block. Main, opp. Triangle.

Savings Bank block, Main, below Maple.

Union block. Main, below Maple.

Williams block, Merchants Row.



HALLS.

College hall, Pleasant.

Grange hall, Williams block. Merchants Row.
Masonic hall. Cook's block. Phoenix Row.
Parish hall, Leverett, near Pine, N. A.
Town hall. Main.



Boarding, Sale and Livery

••• STflBliE. •••

Sir-igl^ or OoLjble T^ams

•^i>'-ojin . Aj;g>-^^-^ii ^.^"^^^^^^^ Furnished, with or witlioiit drivers.

[29 North Prospect St., AMHERST.




AMHERST DIRECTORY.




BOOTS, SHOES,

AND RUBBERS.

Largest Stock,

Lowest Prices.

First-Class Goods in all the
Latest Styles for

JVIen, Boys,

Youth, Liadies,

misses, and



Children,
2 Phoenix Row, AMHERST.

D. GRAVES 8e CO.,

MANUFACTURERS OF

Doors, Sash, Blinds, Window
and Door Screens, Mould-
ings, Boxes, and

Sauu, Shingle and Planing fnill.

Custom Sawing, Logs, Shingles, &c. Also, Band and Scroll
Sawing and Turning.



FflCTOJ^V HOIiLiOm,



flOf^TH flMHHf^ST.



D. GRAVES.



O. C. BANGS.



B. F. KELLOGG.



AMHEEST DIEECTOEY.




TOWN HALL.



TOWN OFFICERS.



Town Clerk, Treasurer and Collector. — O. D. Hunt;
office at town hall.

Selectmen and Overseers of Poor. — William E. Smith,
Henry W. Haskins, Daniel W. Dickinson.

Assessors. — William E. Smith, Edmond Hobart, Charles E.
Wakefield.

Auditor. — Edward D. Bangs.

Elector under Oliver Smith Will. — Henry Adams.

Constables. — A. P. Brown, Patrick L. Dowd, Charles A.
Eastman, Edwin N. Marsh, Charles S. Gaskell, E. B. Sears,
John Slattery, William H. Smith, David H. Tillson, Peter Su-
prenaunt, Harvey White.

Sealers of Weights and Measures. — H. D. Holland.

Pound Keeper. — J. P. Gray.



10



AMHEEST DIEECTORY.



Fence Viewers. — F. L. Stone, C. A. Shaw, A. E. Cowles.

Weighers.— T. L. Paige, J. E. Merrick, A. P. Brown. M. H.
Brown, George E. Cogswell, George E. Thayer, H. D. Thayer,
W. Towne, Nathaniel Harlow, VV. H. H. Morgan, J. C. Dillon.

Measurers of Wood. — J. E. Merrick, George E. Cogswell,
F. P. Ainsworth, A. P. Brown, W. H. H. Morgan, George £.
Thayer.

Measurers of Lumber. — Martin S. Nash, S. P. Blackraer,
Flavel Gaylord.



We do not have to Say Much

About the Stylish Suits we
make, the quality of our goods,
or our prices, as our customers
do that for us.

CALL AND SEE US.
American House Block

OPPOSITE TOWN HALL.




KL-I=RED GLYNN.




BROUGHAM

To and from all Trains.

Single & Double Teams,

with or without drivers,



/ ? Tally-ho, and Barges
for Parties, etc.

Orders may be left at the Amherst House, or at G. M. Chamberlain's Livery Stable.

CHARLES E. TAY, Amherst Honse.

ISAAC i_. dodge:,

HEADQUARTERS FOR

Hai, Grain, Feed, Gluten iai Flour,

AND KARIVLINO TOOLS,

Main Street, near N. L. N. Depot, AMHERST.



AMHEEST DIEECTORY.



11




C \A/. HASTINGS,

DEALER IN

pine Jersey flQilk and Ci^eann.

MILK FOR CHILDREN A SPECIALTY

Residence off East St., near R. R. crossing, EAST AMHERST.

B. H. WILLIAMS & CO.,

(Successors to E. A. Thomas & Co.)

Real *i* Estate,



Fire .



AND



. . Life

Insurance !




stock



AND



Mutual

Companies



Agts. for the SECURITY MORTGAGE & TRUST CO., Dallas, Texas.
No. 5 Cook's Block, AMHERST, MASS.



12



AMHERST DIRECTORY.



Thomas W. I^elley,



^m



FUENITUEE DEALER!






•4- All Kinds of Household Goods. •••
S^oo n d- H 3 n d Furniture



TAKEN IN EXCHANGE FOR NEW.



Rictures FRAMED TO ORDER.



Shot Gans, trifles | Ammunition.

UPHOLSTERING AND REPAIRING.

Kellogg's Bl'k, Phoenix Row, AMHERST.

A. R. CUSHMAN,



Leather,
Straw,

and

Button
Board,




O

OS

C




Factory at North Amherst.



AMHEKST DIRECTORY. 13



PUBLIC SCHOOLS.



SCHOOL COMMITTEE.

Rev. W. D. Herrick, Chairman; Prof. H. B. Richardson, Sec-
retary. Superintendent, William D. Parkinson; office hours, 4
to 5.30 p. m., Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

TEACHERS.

High School. — E. R. Evans, principal; Henrietta Pratt, as-
sistant; Mabel McDuffee; Miss B. A. Pierce.
First Grammar. — Miss M. B. Tenney.
Second Grammar. — Mary H. Atkins.
Third Grammar. — Kate King'man.
North Grammar. — Miss J. E. Wliittemore.
City Grammar. — Miss E. A. Edwards.
East Grammar. — Miss S. L. Washburn.
South Grammar. — Miss C. B. Church.
Amity InteRxMEDIATE. — Miss M. McCarthy.
East Intermediate. — Miss M. F. Pomeroy.
First Primary. — Mabel E. Hardy.
Second Primary. — Miss N. A. Linnehan.
Third Primary. — Miss C. M. Silver.
North Primary. — Miss M. E. Harrington.
City Primary. — Miss E. L. Roberts.
East Street Primary. — Miss G. B. Sawin.
South Green Primary. — Miss J. E. Hawley.
South East Primary.— Mis,s K. M. Shumway.
South West Primary. — Stella F. Dickinson.
Music and drawing teacher, Miss E. M. Fay.



Population of the town in 1890 census, 4572
Number of children in town between 5 and 15 years, 620
Number of children of all ages registered in primary, inter-
mediate and grammar schools, 798
Average attendance, 585



3



14



AMHERST DIRECTORY.



PRIVATE SCHOOLS.

Boarding School. — Mrs. R. G. Williams, Mt. Doma, South
Pleasant street.

Boarding School. — Miss V. W. Buffum, Oak Grove, Lessey
street.

Boarding School. — Mrs. M. E. Stearns (young ladies),
Snell street.

School for Nervous and Delicate Children. — Mrs. W.
D. Herrick, South Prospect street.

Clara S. Howland, 31 North Prospect street.

Mt. Pleasant Institute for Boys. — W. K. Nash, A. M.,
principal, Mt. Pleasant.

Kindergarten School. — Miss E. M. Munsell, Amity street.

Kindergarten School. — Miss Helen Perkins, Northampton
street.




F. Faneuf, Hair Dressing Rooms,

Amherst House Blocl<, (Entrance Amity St.)

C. ID. XJTX.KY,
BAGGAGE : EXPRESS !

Liight and Heavy Trucking, pupnitupc
and Piano JWoving.

Orders left at CO-OPERATIVE LAUNDRY OFFICE, or Wall Slate at
AMHERST HOUSE, will receive prompt attention.



AMHEEST DIRECTOEY.



15




PAUL R. LAN DRV,

— DEALER IN —

Choice Meats ">' Provisions,

VEGETABLES and COUNTRY PRODUCE

OF ALL KINDS.

FISH, OYSTERS, &c., to order.

Give your orders when the cart calls.

Market, East Street, cor. of Main, EAST AMHERST.

E. P. DICKINSON,

Machinist and Blacksmith.

HORSE-SHOEING,

Carriage Work, & General Jobbing.

Shop, Main Street, near the bridge,

EASX AiVIHERSX.

M. G. GOODWIN,

LOCKSMITH

And GsnsrsI Repairer.
Dealer ixi BZC'T'CZiSS and Sundries.

13 Phoenix Row, AMHERST.

MOOREI,

f- Billiard and Pool

••• PARliORS.-t-

Foreip ond Donieslic

CIGARS.
3 Phoenix Row, (up stairs.)





16



Amherst directory.




AMHEEST DIEECTORY.



17




THE CHAPEL AND DORMITORIES, AMHERST COLLEGE.



yqMHERST college:-.



Amherst college, founded in 1821, has had in all nearly 6000
students, and nearly 4000 alumni of whom more than half are
now living. The number of undergraduate students at the pres-
ent time is almost 500, greatly in excess of that in any previous
period of the life of the college. Prof. W. S. Tyler's History of
Amherst College^ a new edition of which was published in 1894,
contains a complete record of the institution, and Dr. Thomas P.
Field's Chapter XI of the History of Higher Education in Mas-
sachusetts (Washington, 1891) deals more briefly with the same
subject.

The college has received little aid from public funds, and its
edifices, grounds and endowments, now exceeding i2,000,000 in
value, are almost entirely due to private munificence.

The presidents of the college have been:



18 amherst directory.

The Rev. Zephaniah S. Moore, D. D., 1821-1823.
The Rev. Heman Humphrey, D. D., ] 823-1845.
The Rev. Edward Hitchcock, D. D., LL. D., 1845-1854.
The Rev. William A. Stearns, D. D., LL. D., 1854-1876.
The Rev. Julius H. Seelye, D. D., LL. D., 1876-1890.
Merrill E. Gates, LL. D., L. H. D., 1890-.

The general government of the college is vested in its Board of
Trustees, and its immediate direction in the Faculty; and the
members of both these boards are named on the following pages.
The departments of instruction are 18 in number, as follows:

(1) Philosophy. (10) Logic and oratory.

(2) History. (H) Modern languages.

(3) Political science. (12) Mathematics.

(4) Greek language and liter- (13) Physics.

ature. (14) Astronomy.

(5) Latin language and liter- (15) Chemistry.

ature. (16) Mineralogy and geology.

(6) Sanskrit and Pali. (17) Hygiene and physical edu-

(7) Rhetoric. tion.

(8) English literature. (18) Biology.

(9) Biblical literature.

The four-year curriculum of the classical course leads to the
degree of Bachelor of Arts. Candidates for the Freshman class
must be at least 16 years of age, and are examined in Latin,
Greek, mathematics, English, modern languages and ancient his-
tory. The four-year curriculum of the scientific course leads to
the degree 8f ^Bachelor of Science, and candidates are examined
as above, omitting Greek, and adding History of England and
the United States, and modern geography. Catalogues of the
college, obtainable on addressing the Iie(/istrar of Amherst Col-
lege, give further details. Graduates of certain preparatory
schools are admitted on the certificate of the principal, without
further examination. Regular entrance examinations take place
at Amherst in the latter part of June, and simultaneously in
large cities and at preparatory schools. Tho tuition fee is -fllO.

The academic year is 37 weeks in duration, divided into three
terms. The summer vacation of 11 weeks begins just preceding
Commencement day, which occurs near the end of June.

More than '13000 in prizes and fellowships are awarded annu-
ally, and needy students may receive pecuniary assistance from
the income of the scholarship funds which now amount to nearly
1200,000.

The expense of an education at Amherst varies greatly with
the character and habits of the student, $350 annually being near
the minimum ; but most of the students spend from 1500 to $650.



AMHERST DIRECTORY.



19




MORGAN LIBRARY, AMHERST COLLEGE.



87 acres ; and the more
1895 are as follows, with

(1821) rebuilt 1891.

(1822) rebuilt,1892.
(1827)
(1830)

(1833) rebuilt 1892.

(1834) rebuilt 1892.
(1847)

(1853) rebuilt 1883.
(1855)
(1857)
(1859)

(1869) rebuilt 1883.
(1871)
(1883)
(1893)

Other real estate of the college embraces Blake field, Hallock
park, and the Pratt athletic field, one of the finest college fields in
the country, with a grand stand, running track, base ball field,
and all needed appliances. These three fields cover about 23
acres, within five minutes' walk from the college campus.



The college grounds embrace about
prominent of the college buildings in
the year of their erection :

South college dormitory,

North college dormitory,

Johnson chapel,

College hall,

Hitchcock hall.

President's house,

Observatory and Woods cabinet,

Morgan library,

Appleton cabinet,

Williston hall,

Barrett gymnasium.

Walker hall,

College church,

Pratt gymnasium.

Physical and chemical laboratory,



20 AMHERST DIRECTORY.

The Johnson chapel is used chiefly for recitation and class-
room work. The view from the top of the tower, in clear weath-
er, is unsurpassed. College hall is reserved for Commencement
exercises and occasional lectures and entertainments.

The Observatory contains an 8 1-2 foot telescope and numerous
other astronomical instruments. In the Woods cabinet is an ex-
traordinary collection of meteorites and minerals, and a well-
equipped room for geological lectures. Hitchcock hall is a dor-
mitory and boarding house.

The Morgan library contains nearly 65,000 volumes, and is the
fourth in size of the college libraries of the country. It is open
an exceptionally large number of hours, free to all members of
the college. In the porch of the library is a fine collection of
early Assyrian sculptured slabs, dating back to 900 b. c, and
obtained from the ancient Nimroud.

In the Appleton cabinet are the unique Hitchcock collection of
fossil tracks in stone, the Adams collection in zoology, the Gil-
bert museum of Indian relics, and the famous Audubon collection
of birds. Also, this building contains the lecture rooms and lab-
oratories of the biological department.

Williston hall contains Greek and Latin class rooms, and on
the third floor the Mather collection of art, mainly casts of statu-
ary illustrating historical sculpture.

The Barrett gymnasium is the first college gymnasium built in
America, and in it was inaugurated the Amherst system of gym-
nastics and anthropometry, now widely imitated in America and
foreign countries.

Walker hall contains mainly recitation rooms and the presi-
dent's room, where meetings of the Boards of the Trustees and
the Faculty are held. On the third floor is the exhibit of the
college which was at the World's Fair in Chicago, 1893.

The college church, the gift of William French Stearns, is re-
served exclusively for Sunday services. The Pratt gymnasium
is used for the gymnastic exercises and physical training of all
the students of the college, for numerous gymnastic exhibitions,
and for festivities of Commencement week. The collection of
specialized apparatus is ample, and the buildyag contains a bil-
liard room, bowling alleys, sparring room, abundant bath rooms,
an athletic museum, a large collection of banners and pennants
won by the student organizations, and the rooms of the professor
of hygiene, where the records of the bodily statistics and meas-
ures of all the students are made and preserved.

The recently-erected laboratories for physics and chemistry are
large and substantially constructed, at a cost, with their equip-
ment, of $100,000; and the facilities for original research and
teaching in these departments are unsurpassed.



AMHERST DIRECTORY.



21




WALKER HALL, AMHERST COLLEGE.



THE CORPORATION OF AMHERST COLLEGE.

Merrill E. Gates, LL. D., L. H. D., President.

Hon. Edward B. Gillett, LL. D., of Westfield.

Rev. Richard S. Storrs, D. D., LL. D., of Brooklyn, N. Y.

Rev. Edmund K. Alden, D. D., of Boston.

Hon. John E. Sanford, of Taunton.

Henry D. Hyde, Esq., of Boston.

Hon. John S. Brayton, of Fall River.

G. Henry Whitcomb, M. A., of Worcester.

Rev. E, Winchester Donald, D. D., of Boston.

Rev. Charles M. Lamson, D. D., of Hartford, Conn.

Rev. Michael Burnham, D. D.. of St. Louis, Mo.

Professor John W. Burgess, LL. D., of New York, N. Y.

Professor Herbert B. Adams. Ph. D., of Baltimore, Md.

George A. Plimpton, of New York, N. Y.

Rev. William Hayes W^ard, D. D., LL. D., of New York, N. Y.

D. Willis James, of New York, N. Y.

Rev. Charles H. Parkhurst, D. D., of New York, N. Y.



William A. Dickinson, Esq., Treasurer.



22 AMHERST DIRECTORY.



THE FACULTY OF AMHERST COLLEGE.
Merrill Edwards Gates, Ph. D., LL. D., L. H. D., President.

Professor of Moral Philosophy .

Rev. William Seymour Tyler, D. D., LL. D.

Professor Emeritus of fJie Greek Language and Litera-
ture.

P^DWARD PaYSON CrOWELL, D. D.

Moore Professor of the Latin Lanf/uar/e and Literature.

Edward Hitchcock, M. A., M. D.

Parndy Billings Professor of Hygiene and Physical Ed-

II cat 10)1.

William Lewis Montague, Ph. D.

Professor of Italian.

William Cole Esty, LL. D.

Walker Professor of Mathentafics and Astrnnoniy.

Elijah Paddock Harris, Ph. D., LL. D.

Professor of Chemistry.

Benjamin Kendall Emerson, Ph. D.

HitcJicock Professor of Mineralogy and Geology.

Rev. Heman Humphrey Neill, M. A.

Wdliston Professor of English Literature.

Anson Daniel Morse, M. A.

Wuikley Professor of History.

Henry Bullard Richardson, M. A.

Professor of German.

John Mason Tyler, Ph. D.

Stone Professor of Biology.

Charles Edward Garman, M. A.

Professor of Mental and Moral Philosophy .

David P. Todd, Ph. D.

Sidney Dillon Professor of Astronomy, Director of the
Observatory, and, Secretary of the Faculty.

Rev. John Franklin Genung, Ph. D.

Professor of Rhetoric.

Henry Allyn Frink, Ph. D.

Professor of Logic, Rhetoric and Public Speaking.

William Lyman Cowles, M. A.

Professor of Latin.



amherst directory. 23

Arthur Lalanne Kimball, Ph. D.

Professor of Physics.

George Daniel Olds, M. A.

Professor of Mathematics.

John Bates Clark, Ph. D.

Professor of Political Economy.

J. R. SiTLINGTON StERRETT, Ph. D.

John G. Netvton Professor of Greek.

Rev. Edwin Augustus Grosvenor, M. A.

Professor of the French Language and Literature.

Rev. John Ellery Tuttle, D. D.

Samuel Green Professor of Biblical History and Inter-
pretation, and Pastor of the College Church.

Levi Harry Elwell, M. A.

Associate Professor of Greek, and Listructor in Sanskrit.


1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Online Librarymusician StewardAmherst directory → online text (page 1 of 9)