Copyright
New York University.

General alumni catalogue, 1916 online

. (page 1 of 154)
Online LibraryNew York UniversityGeneral alumni catalogue, 1916 → online text (page 1 of 154)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


GIFT OF




GENERAL ALUMNI
CATALOGUE

OF

NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
1916



COMPILED FOR THE UNIVERSITY

UNDER THE DIRECTION OF

\V. J. MAXWELL.



^-'






0'



(M^



The General Alumni Society of New York University has ren-
dered valuable assistance by previous work on the records of
the Alumni and the Compilers take great pleasure in giving
credit to the Rev. Henry M. Brown, A. M., D. D., member of the
Council of New York University, for the great interest he has
shown and the tireless effort devoted in assisting to make this
Alumni record of New York University complete and accurate.



CONTENTS.



PAGE

Historical Sketch 6

The Council and Officers of Administration 13

The University Senate 14

Abbreviations 15

Alumni of College of Arts and Pure Science 17

Alumni of School of Law 89

Alumni of Medical College . 206

Alumni of School of Applied Science 543

Alumni of Graduate School 562

Alumni of School of Pedagogy 593

Alumni of Veterinary College 609

Alumni of School of Commerce 633

Alumni of Washington Square College 663

Honorary 674

Geographical Index of Alumni 687

Alphabetical Index of Alumni ■ 755



383593



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

NEW YORK UNIVERSITY was founded in that period of the nine-
teenth century that was rendered distinctive by the development of
the conception of the importance of the individual. The spirit of the
time was reflected in the minds of a group of men in the city of
Xew York who conceived the idea of a University that should serve the peo-
ple, that should provide needful training for engineers, architects, teachers
and business men, as well as for the learned professions, and that should be
universal in its scope. Such was the plan of the founders of New York Univer-
sity, contemplating a College, Engineering School, School of Law, School of
Aledicine, a school for the training of teachers, and a department of Graduate
Study. It was a protest against the then existing educational institutions, a
move toward a new system of education. They were far ahead of their time
in their educational views, so far indeed that it remained for the last quarter
of the century to see the full consummation of their plans.

The earliests record of the conception of New York University exists in the
minutes of certain meetings of nine citizens of New York. The first meeting
was held on December 16, 1829, and was followed by others held more or less
frequently throughout that month and January, 1830. A call for a represent-
ative conference of citizens, for the purpose of considering the establishment
of a university on a liberal and extensive foundation, was sent out by these
citizens for January 8, 1830. At this meeting a standing committee of nine
members was appointed, for the purpose of securing shareholders and of launch-
ing the new enterprise. The work proceeded steadily, and on October 15,
1830, a council was chosen by the shareholders from their number. This
Council included among others the following well-known names : Rev. James AI.
Alathews, General Morgan Lewis, Hon. James Tallmadge, Hon. Albert Gallatin,
Valentine Mott, M.D., Edward Delafield, AI.D., Myndert \an Schaick.

^Meanwhile, the Committee had appointed a sub-committee to invite men of
eminence in higher education to attend an educational convention in New York,
October 20-23, 1830. This was not only for the purpose of obtaining the
benefit of the views of educational experts in the establishment of the proposed
university, but also for the purpose of promoting the common cause of education
throughout the nation. The meetings of this convocation were held in the Com-
mon Council Chamber of the City, and representatives of a dozen different
American institutions of higher education were present. ]\Iany themes of
educational importance were discussed, including the reasons for the supremacy
of European universities, the different conditions existing in the United States
and in Europe, the proper curriculum for a college, the question of graduate
study and of a school for the training of teachers.



NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ALUMNI CATALOGUE. 7

The University Charter was secured April 21, 1831. Ahhough the original
plan had contemplated six separate schools, it was found impossible to launch
all these divisions at this time, and the work began with instruction simply in the
College, with special courses in Mathematics and Physical Science for those
who wished to become trained in engineering. The first sessions were held in
the fall of 1832 at Clinton Hall, on the southwest corner of Nassau and Beekman
Streets. One hundred and fifty-seven students were enrolled during the first
year, and there were eighteen professors on the faculty roll.

A new site was acquired at Washington Square in 1833, and the cornerstone
of the University Building was laid July Kith of that year. Work on the new
building was interrupted, however, and it was not opened for classes until
1835, and was not dedicated until May 20, 1837. It was in this building, in
the fall of 1835, that Prof. Samuel F. B. Morse invented the recording telegraph.
It was here, too, that in 1839 Dr. John W. Draper perfected Daguerre's system
of photography and took the first picture of the human countenance ever made,
and it was on the roof of this building that in 1839 Professors Draper and Morse
opened the first photograph gallery in the world. Of the graduates of the
University during these first years, it is said that more than half entered the
ministry and a quarter entered the law, which shows that the University itself had
not avoided the criticism which had been made of other institutions by its
founders — i. e., that they served almost exclusively the learned professions.

In 1835, Hon. Benjamin F. Butler, Attorney-General in Jackson's Cabinet,
at the request of the University Council, published a plan for the organization
of a law faculty and for a system of instruction in legal science. This plan pro-
vided for a three-year course of study and was adopted by the Council in 1838,
and Butler was elected as the Principal of the Faculty, with William Kent and
David Graham, Jr., as Professors. The scheme of legal study was new to New
York, and was opposed by many members of the bar, who thought that the
only way in which a knowledge of the law could be gained was by study in an
attorney's office. There were no more than fifteen or twenty students in the
department during the first year, and when Butler was appointed United States
District Attorney by Van Buren in 1839, the instruction lapsed.

Provision had been made in the original plan for a medical college, but no
beginning was made until the winter of 1838-9, at which time the Council decided
upon a plan for the school and chose the proposed professors. It was not
until 1841, however, that the Fapulty was definitely elected and work begun
The most noted men of the new Medical Faculty were Dr. Valentine Molt, the
foremost surgeon of the day, and Dr. John W. Draper — Professor of Chemistry,
who had served as the head of this department in the College smce 1839. The
Medical School established headquarters at the Stuyvesant Institute at 659
Broadway, on the site of the present Broadway Central Hotel. The School was
semi-proprietary in nature, the fees being given to the professors, the Universit}
granting the diploma and receiving simply the graduation fee. This School
was successful from the start. During the first year, 239 students from 27
States and foreign countries were enrolled, and by 1850 there were more than



8 NEIV YORK UNIVERSITY ALUMNI CATALOGUE.

400 students on the rolls. The graduates of the School enjoyed many privileges
both in this country and abroad, on account of the distinguished character of
the members of the Faculty. In 1851 the Medical Faculty sold the Stuyvesant
Institute and bought a lot on Fourteenth Street, the site of the present Tammany
Hall, erecting a new building for the use of the School. This building was
used until the Spring of 1866, at which time it was destroyed by fire. The
Medical College took up temporary headquarters in the New York Hospital, and
in 1869, having decided to remove to the vicinity of Bellevue Hospital, rented a
building on East Twenty-sixth Street. Property on Twenty-sixth Street,
east of First Avenue, was acquired soon after, and a building was erected in
1876. The faculty of the Medical College made a great contribution to the
cause of Medical Science and humanity by securing the passage by the State
Legislature in 1853 of the Act legalizing dissection. Prior to this act it had
been a felony to dissect a dead body, and consequently little instruction in
surgery had been given.

The University Council at its meeting on May 27, 1858, again took up the
question of the School of Law, instruction in which had lapsed in 1839, and
named certain Professors to give courses, allowing them to decide upon the
schedule. This School, like the Medical College, was semi-proprietary. The
beginnings of the Law Library were furnished by the generosity of John Taylor
Johnston. Among the members of this first Faculty were Hon. Thomas W.
Gierke — Judge of the Supreme Court, Hon. Levi S. Chatfield — late Attorney-
General of the State of New York, and the Hon. Theodore H. Sedgwick — L^nited
States District Attorney. During the first year this School had an enrollment of
70 students. It did not increase rapidly in size, however, owing to the popular
idea that a sound knowledge of legal principles could be obtained only through
study in an attorney's ofiice.

For the first half century of the history of the University these three Schools
— the College, the Law School and the School of Medicine — were the only ones
to be developed, and of these, two, the Law School and the School of ^Medicine,
were semi-proprietary and only nominally under the control of the University
Council. The college, never numbering more than 200 students in any one
year, was the university so far as actual control over students, definition of
requirements and election of professors by the University Council was concerned.

The movement for the acquisition of University Heights, the present home of
the College, was begun by Dr. Henry M. AJacCracken in 1890. In a report
rendered by him as Vice-Chancellor to the Council, in November of that year,
he called attention to the limitations of the College at its downtown site.
At the time he contemplated the acquisition of a small tract of five or sIk acres
in the uptown section of the city. During the winter of 1890-91 he devoted
himself assiduously to this task, and as he worked became more and more
convinced of the feasibility of the plan. A meeting was held on February 26,
1891, at the residence of Mrs. R. L. Stewart, 871 Fifth Avenue, for the purpose
of creating interest in the movement, and from this time on the movement
gained headway. On July 1, 1891, only three weeks after Dr. MacCracken took



NEJV YORK UNIVERSITY ALUMNI CATALOGUE. 9

office as Chancellor, the University secured an option on the Alali estate, above
East 179th Street. Numerous citizens contributed generously, and by May of
1892, $200,000 had been promised for this purpose, and twenty acres of the
property was purchased. The Ohio Society of New York City appointed a
committee to assist the Chancellor in securing funds for an athletic field, and
their efforts brought about the establishment of Ohio Field.

Work was immediately begun at the new site in fitting it for the use of the
College. The construction of Language Hall and of the Havemeyer Labora-
tory was carried on during the winter of 1893-9L A large brick mansion, which
was located on the property, was named Butler Hall, in honor of Charles
Butler, who had been a member of the University Council for more than fifty
years, and was fitted up as a dormitory, the first college dormitory within the
limits of New York City. Several wooden pavilions were united for the use of
the biological laboratories. With the iinancial assistance of the late David
Banks, two large wooden buildings which were on the property were joined
together and fitted up for a Gymnasium. Founders' Day was observed at
University Heights on April 18, 1894, the class of '91 carrying a stone from the
University Building at Washington Square, and laying it as the cornerstone of
the Gymnasium. The College work was transferred to University Heights in
the fall of 1894, and contrary to the expectations of many, the number of
students was even greater than in the preceding year at Washington Square.
At the same time as the moving of the College to its new site, a change of great
importance was made in the system of study. This was the adoption of the
elective group system after the Freshman year, which at that time had been
adopted by few colleges. In May, 1895, came the gift of the Memorial Library,
the best known building at University Heights. Excavations for this building
were begun in the summer of 1896, and' on December'5, 1899, the Auditorium
was opened for the use of students and instructors. The official opening of
University Heights was held October 19, 1895. Gould Hall- — the present dorm-
itory — was opened in 1896.

In March, 1900, the University received a gift for the establishment of the
Hall of Fame for great Americans. This gift made possible the building up of
University Heights in such a way as to render it architecturally beautiful, and
also provided much needed class-rooms in the Museum. In 1906 came the
gift of the Schwab estate, rounding out the University Campus to more than
forty acres and adding two fine residence halls, South Hall and West Hall, to
the buildings of the University. The Kennedy bequest which came in 1910
made possible the extinguishment of the mortgage on University Heights, and
gave the University its own Campus free and clear of all indebtedness.

When the College was moved to University Heights in 1894 the old building
at Washington Square was torn down, and a modern, eleven-story building was
erected on its site. The first eight floors of this building were rented to a book
publishing company, and the ninth, tenth and eleventh floors were reser\'ed
for the use of the Law School and the then new School of Pedagogy.

The problem of the reorganization of the existing schools on a true University



10 NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ALUMNI CATALOGUE.

basis was carried on at the same time as the movement for the acquisition of the
new site. The first School to be reorganized was the College. The College
had always given special courses in Mathematics and Science to those who wished
instruction in Engineering. In 1886 these courses were supplemented and their
instructors organized as the Faculty of the School of Engineering. Little
could be done in engineering work in the cramped quarters at Washington
Square. With the removal to University Heights in 1894 and the gain in
room, the School grew in vigor and life, even though it had no permanent
building except Havemeyer Laboratory and a wooden building which was fitted
up for engineering purposes. In 1809 came new endowments for the teaching
of Applied Science, and the Department of Engineering became the School of
Applied Science.

In 1886 the Graduate School was opened at Washington Square. This
School had been originally named in the plan of the Founders, and graduate
degrees had been given for work taken in advanced Chemistry courses given by
Prof. John C. Draper. In 1886 a statute was adopted by the University,
forbidding the bestowal of the degrees of M. A., M.S., Ph.D. and Sc.D.,
except upon examination. Courses were begun in the fall of 1886 and were
given by the professors of the University College. There was no endowment
for this work, and as the classes were at first very small, the professors gave
their time to the work with little or no remuneration. A high grade of students,
many of them departmental teachers in the city high schools, were attracted to
this School from the very first.

In 1889 the Law School was taken directly under the control of the University
Council, and a Dean appointed. Austin Abbott was made Dean in 1891, and
under his great leadership the School was soon raised to a high standard. The
number of professors was increased and a department of Graduate study was
founded. The growth of this School was one of the reasons urged for the
transfer of the College to University Heights. In 1895 the Metropolis Law
School was merged with the University Law Schools as the Evening Division,
the professors of the Metropolis becoming professors in the evening division of
the University Law School. The enrollment in this school for the first year after
the consolidation was 527. A three-year course was given in the evening
division and a two-year course in the day division.

The School of Pedagogy was founded in 1890. For three years previous to
this date many graduates of normal schools, who were not eligible to member-
ship in the Graduate School had applied for permission to take the course in
Pedagogy offered in that School. They were allowed to attend as auditors or
non-matriculants, but were not given credit for their work toward any degree.
Many of them were high grade teachers and all of them were good students.
It was resolved to extend this work, and to form a distinct school, giving the
degrees of Master of Pedagogy, and Doctor of Pedagogy. This was the first
School of Pedagogy ever established occupying the same plane as professional
schools of Law, Medicine and Theology. An endowment was raised for the



NEJV YORK UNIVERSITY ALUMNI CATALOGUE. 11

purposes of this School, and the ninth floor of the University Building at
Washington Square was turned over for its use.

The Women's Advisory Committee was organized in connection with the
founding of the School of Pedagogy. As soon as it was seen that women would
come in large numbers to attend this new school, the Council decided to secure
the co-operation of a body of representative women interested in University
education for women. This Committee has done splendid service for the
School, aiding in its equipment, the raising of the endowment, the furnishing
of the rooms and in the establishment of new professional courses.

The Medical College existed as a proprietary school until 1897. The owner-
ship of the School lay in several physicians who ran it as a business venture.
The requirement by the Regents of a three-year course in medicine in 1892
made the venture of the proprietors less profitable. There were disputes among
the several proprietors, and the instruction was not kept up to university stand-
ards. On March 1, 1897, upon the recommendation of its Committee on the
Medical College, the University assumed direct charge of the college and took
over its property. A disastrous fire which took place on the property of the
Bellevue Hospital Medical College at this time led the trustees of that institu-
tion to make a favorable reply to the proposition of the University Council to
consolidate. This consolidation was effected on May 19, 1898, and the new
institution was called the University and Bellevue Hospital Medical College.

On August 7, 1899, the University consolidated with itself the two oldest
colleges of veterinary science in the city, under the name of the New York-
American Veterinary College.

The School of Commerce, Accounts and Finance was founded in August
1900. It was the result of a general movement in Europe and the United'
States in behalf of higher commercial education. The direct cause of the
foundation of this School was the action of the State Society of Certified
Public Accountants, in applying to the University for the establishment ot a
School of Accountancy. Accountancy had been raised- to the standard of a
profession by the Certified Public Accountants' Act of 1896, requiring an
examination in the theory of accounting in addition to practical work. It was
for the purpose of training young men to meet this standard that the Society
petitioned the University Council for the establishment of the School. To
meet this need and also to provide strong training in Economics and Business
Administration for business men the Council established the School of Com-
merce, Accounts and Finance.

In addition to the reorganization of the two professional schools and the
establishment of the five new schools, two other divisions of instruction were
opened during Chancellor MacCracken's administration: (1) The Woman's
Law Class was organized by the University in 1889 to give a course of lectures
on the principles of Law for business women who did not have time to take
the regular course of the Law School. (2) The Summer School was opened in
1895 at University Heights, and has continued at that location to the present
day. The opening of this School was due to two facts ; first, the desire of



12 NEJV YORK UNIVERSITY ALUMNI CATALOGUE.

teachers in New York City and the vicinity to obtain courses in Education and
in Collegiate Subjects during the summer; second, the belief that it would
not be just to close such an academic plant as that at University Heights during
the summer when there was a call for the instruction that might be given there.

Dr. Elmer Ellsworth Brown was elected in 1911 to succeed Chancellor
MacCracken after the latter's resignation upon his seventieth birthday in
1910. During the administration of Chancellor Brown the Collegiate Division
which had previously been organized for the purpose of giving students at
Washington Square training in collegiate subjects was in 1913 developed into
a separate degree-giving college called Washington Square College. This
college now offers a course of study leading to the baccalaureate degree which
combines both the academic subjects of the orthodox college with a liberal
provision for vocational training.

Another important step taken in this period was the establishment, by legisla-
tive enactment, of the New York State Veterinary College at New York
University. The Veterinary College is now authorized to offer free scholarships
to students from the various assembly and senatorial districts of the state of
New York.

A separate department for the training of teachers of mental defectives has
been established with the co-operation of the Women's Advisory Committee and
the Faculty of the School of Pedagogy. Other fields of special teaching are
being developed under the same auspices. The Division for Extramural
Teaching has been constantly extending its field of activity and has now
developed several permanent and prosperous centres of work.

In 1914 the Cornelius Baker Hall of Philosophy was completed, forming the
northern part of the well known library group at University Heights. The
building of this structure was made possible by the generosity of Mrs. Kennedy.

In the last few years the University has developed remarkable numerical
strength in all its branches. Student registration from 1912 to 191.5 has in-
creased 57% and this fate of increase has been maintained consistently among
the various schools and divisions of the University.

New York University is unquestionably entering upon a new era — an era of
unprecedented expansion and vigorous growth. The success of its work will
be measured not only by its size but by the character of the men it trains, by their
devotion to the highest ideals of the University while they are within its
walls and by their loyalty and unstinted support when they have gone forth as
alumni. The chief work of the University is the making of men and women and
the character of the alunmi body is the measure of the success of the University
in this work.



NEir YORK UNIVERSITY ALUMNI CATALOGUE.



NEW YORK UNIVERSITY



THK COUNCIL OF THK UNIVERSITY

The Council of New York University, incorporated the 18th of April, 1831, is a self-
perpetuating body, consisting of thirty-two members, each holding office for four years
or until his successor is elected. One-fourth of the members go out of office each year
on the fourth Monday of October, when their successors are elected by the council.

Officers of the Council
President — George Alexander, D.D.
Vice-President — Eugene Stevenson

Secretary — George A. Strong
Treasurer — William M. Kingsley

Roll of the Council

Date of Election Expiration cf Term

1883 William S. Opdyke 1919

1887 George Alexander, D.D 1919

1891 Henry M. MacCracken, D.D., LL.D 1918

1892 John P. Munn, M.D 1916

1898 Willis Fletcher Johnson, L.H.D 1919

1898 Thomas E. Greacen 1919

1899 William M. Kingsley 1918



Online LibraryNew York UniversityGeneral alumni catalogue, 1916 → online text (page 1 of 154)