Norris Galpin Osborn.

The National cyclopaedia of American biography, being the history of the United States as illustrated in the lives of the founders, builders, and defenders of the republic, and of the men and women who are doing the work and moulding the thought of the present time (Volume 17) online

. (page 95 of 135)
Online LibraryNorris Galpin OsbornThe National cyclopaedia of American biography, being the history of the United States as illustrated in the lives of the founders, builders, and defenders of the republic, and of the men and women who are doing the work and moulding the thought of the present time (Volume 17) → online text (page 95 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in partnership with his cousins, William and
Benjamin F. White. After two years he sold
out to them and organized the dry goods im-
porting and jobbing house of White, Browne,
Davis & Co., Boston, and from the outset en-
joyed a large and profitable trade, especially in
the line of dress goods for women. After IM!(
the business was exclusively importing, with
stores in New York city, as well as in Boston,
and the firm name became White, Browne & Co.
The old firm was dissolved in 1874 and there-
after he was head of the firm of White, Payson
& Co., selling agents of the Manchester Mills,
Manchester, N. H. He was chiefly instrumental
in reorganizing the Manchester Mills corporation
after the financial crash of 1873, and was long
a dominant factor in the directorate of that con-
cern. Upright, industrious and enterprising, he
was also shrewd in judging the public taste and
ia supplying the demand. He retired from active



business in 1895, and thereafter devoted himself
to private interests, residing at Brookliue. In
buying goods for the firm he traveled abroad
extensively, making no fewer than forty-four
trips to Europe. He was a director in the
Boston & Maine and the Mexican Central Rail-
road companies, and in the Eliot National Bank,
of which institution he had likewise been presi-
dent for many years, and was a trustee of the
Huntington and Brown estates. He was known
as an art connoisseur and owned a valuable col-
lection of oil paintings, water colors and por-
traits. He loved nature, and the development
cf his estate in Brookline afforded him the
necessary relaxation from commercial cares. In
politics he was a Republican, and was a member
of the standing committee of the Central Congre-
gational Church of Boston. He was twice married:
(1) Jan. 13, 1853, to Mary E., daughter of Hiram
Stanyan, of Chichester, N. H. ; Mrs. White died in
1853, and he was married (2) Nov. 13, 1>>55, to
Ellen Danforth, daughter of Dr. Isaac Tewksbury,
of Hampstead, N. H. ; she survived him with four
children: Joseph Foster; Helen Huntington, wife
of George Jacob Putnam, Boston; Harriet Fos-
ter, wife of Arthur Crittenden Smith, Omaha,
Neb., and Grace Sabra, wife of John Langdon
Batchelder, Jamaica Plain, Mass. He died in
Brookline, Mass., Mar. 10, 1915.

ROSE, Walter Malins, lawyer and author, was
born in Toronto, Canada, Nov. 24, 1872, sou of
Henry J. and Elizabeth (McCord) Rose. He re-
moved with his parents to Ontario, Calif., when
twelve years of age, attending the public schools
there, and was graduated at Leland Stanford Uni-
versity with the degree of A.B. in 1895. The fol-
lowing year he received the degree of LL.B. from
Cornell University, having completed two years of
law work in one year, and winning the Boardman
thesis prize. Immediately after leaving Cornell he
began the practice of law, with Judge Robert
Hayne, one of the leaders of the California bar.
Owing to ill health he was compelled to relinquish
practice and live in Arizona. In the field of
legal writing he attained wide repute as the editor
of the thirteen volumes of Rose 's ' ' Notes on the
United States' Reports," and as author of Rose's
"Code of Federal Procedure", in three volumes
(1907), "Digest of U. S. Reports from the Begin-
ning to Vol. 186, TJ. S. " (3 vols.), "Notes on
Texas Reports" (5 vols.), and various monographs
on leading cases. Mr. Rose was a great student, a
hard worker and had marked executive ability, He
was a member of the Bar Association, the Cornell
Alumni Chib of Southern California, and the Uni-
versity Club of Los Angeles. He was married ftt
Holt, Ky., Oct. 19, 1899, to Mary Holt, and had
one son, Joseph Holt Rose. He died at Los Ange-
les, Gal., Feb. 12, 19UV

WHITE, D'Orsay McCall, mechanical engineer
and inventor, was born in Glasgow, Scotland,
Nov. 28, 1880, son of William Dickson and Susanna
D'Orsay (McCall) White. His father was a
banker in Glasgow and his mother was the daugh-
ter of a well-known engineer in that city. He was
educated at the Glasgow high school and received
his technical education at the Airdrie Technical
College, and Royal Technical College of Glasgow,
1895-1901. During the same period he served his
apprenticeship in the workshops of Messrs. Gibbs &
Hogg, Ltd., locomotive and general machinery build-
ers, Airdrie, 1895-97, and the Fairfield Shipbuild-
ing & Engineering Co., Ltd., (1897-1900), where he
learned the groundwork of his profession in the
building of locomotives, mining plant of every des





fl





OF AMERICAN BIOGRAPHY.



321



eriptiOH, and marine engines for ocean greyhounds,
such as the Campania, battleship engines, and en-
gines for cruisers and destroyers. After completing
his apprenticeship, he became assistant and later
chief engineer to Messrs. Alley & McLellan, Ltd.,
of Glasgow, high speed steam and air compressor
builders (1900-02). Wishing to enter the auto-
mobile industry, for two years he became assistant
chief engineer of the Mo-Car Syndicate, Ltd., of
Paisley, Scotland, and while there developed the
silent chain drives. He then became chief engineer
of the All British Motor Car Co., Ltd., of Glas-
gow, laying out the entire plant, installing the
machinery, and designing the first ear (1904-06),
whence he went to the Daimler Motor Car Co.,
Ltd., Coventry, England, as assistant engineer
(1906-07), subsequently being appointed chief en-
gineer and general manager of their branch fac-
tory in Naples (Societa Officine De Luca Daimler),
designing the first "Silent Knight," 22 H.P. cars
which won the Dewar trophy in England by their
wonderful achievements and durability. When in
Naples, Mr. White had the honor of conducting
upon automobile trips King Edward VII and
Queen Alexandria of Great Britain, was at luncheon
with them, and received from them a beautiful and
valuable memento a solid gold cigarette case
studded with precious gems mounted in the royal
coat of arms, and a note of appreciation with their
signatures. After returning from Italy, Mr. White
became chief engineer and works manager for
Messrs. D. Napier & Son, Ltd., London, England,
manufacturers of the famous world 's record break-
ing racing ears (1909-13), later becoming manager
for Crossley Motors Ltd., Manchester, (1913-14),
whence he came to the United States as chief
engineer of the Cadillac Motor Car Co., Detroit,
Mich., to design the famous eight-cylinder Cadillac,
and later became vice-president and assistant gen-
eral manager of that company. He is the first
of his family to come to America. In recognition
of his work in producing the eight cylinder V-type
engine he was presented with a silver tablet, suit-
ably engraved, at a dinner given in his honor by an
organization! consisting of the oldest members of
the Cadillac Motor Car Co.'s dealers, known as the
"Cadillac Old Guard." He resigned from the
Cadillac Motor Car Co., June 1, 1919. In 1917
Mr. White was appointed one of a special com-
mittee of three engineers by Mr. Howard E. Coffin,
then chairman of the Aircraft Production Board,
to investigate and improve the practicability of
the twelve cylinder Liberty Aircraft Motor. He is
now vice-president of the LaFayette Motors Co.,
of Indianapolis, Ind. The LaFayette ear was de-
signed by him throughout and is being manufac-
tured under his direct supervision. He is a mem-
ber and was in 1917 chairman of the Society of
Automobile Engineers, the membership of which
he, with his fellow officers, raised from 450 to
almost 1,000 in his year of office, and is also an
associate member of the Institution of Mechanical
Engineers, England; member of English Institute
of Automobile Engineers; Detroit Athletic Club;
Detroit Board of Commerce; Detroit Automobile
Club; Rushmere Club, and member and governor
of the Aero Club of Michigan. He was married,
Sept. 25, 1906, to Edith Mary, daughter of Wil-
liam J. Woolnough, naval architect of Glasgow,
Scotland, and has two children: Muriel Phyllis
McCall and D 'Orsay McCall White, Jr.

POWERS, Horace Henry, jurist, was born at
Morrisville, Vt., May 29, 1835. He was educated
in the common schools of his native town and was
graduated at the University of Vermont in 1855.



He chose the legal profession and was admitted to
the bar in 1858. Following a year in the lower
house of the Vermont legislature he was elected
prosecuting attorney for Lamoille co., Vt., and
served two years, 1861-62. After ten years filled
with many different activities in the northern
counties of Vermont he again went to the legis-
lature, this time to the senate, where he served
during 1872-73. In December, 1874, he was ele-
vated to the bench of the Supreme Court of Ver-
mont where for sixteen years he served as one of
the state's foremost jurists. He declined further
service on the bench in 1890 and was at once
elected to the 52d congress and in 1892 re-elected
to the 53d congress. Judge Powers had filled many
varied public positions from the time he was ad-
mitted to the bar and there had been numerous
honors bestowed upon him. While in the state
legislature in 1859 he was a member of the council
of censors, a body of thirteen charged with the
power of proposing amendments to the state con-
stitution, and in 1870 was a member of the con-
stitutional convention which adopted an amendment
providing for biennial elections in Vermont. He
was speaker of the house of representatives in 1874
and while a member of the 53d congress, was chair-
man of the Vermont delegation to the Republican
national convention in 1892, which re-nomiiiutcd
President Benjamin Harrison. While in congress
he was a member of the judiciary committee and
the committee on the Pacific railroads. He was a
trustee of the University of Vermont. Judge
Powers was one of the most resourceful lawyers
of his time and possessed a candid manner of ad-
dress which carried to both jury and audience.
He was married, Oct. 11, 1858, at Morrisville, Vt.,
to Caroline E. Waterman. Judge Powers died at
Morrisville, Vt., Dec. 8, 1913.

SAUNDEES, Daniel, lawyer, was born in
Andover, Mass., Oct. 6, 1822, son of Daniel and
Phoebe Foxcroft (Abbott) Saunders, and grand-
son of James Saunders and his wife Elizabeth
Little, and a descendant of Henry Saunders, an
early settler of Haverhill, Mass. His mother was
a daughter of Caleb Abbott, a revolutionary sol-
dier, who served from the time of the battle of
Bunker Hill to the close of the war. His father,
Daniel Saunders (q.v.), was a prominent manu-
facturer and the founder of Lawrence, Mass. The
son received his preliminary education in the
schools of his native town and in the English
school at Andover, which then was a branch of
the Academy. He entered Phillips Academy in
1837, but left the school two years later because
of ill health. At that time his father owned two
mills, one in North Andover and the other in Con-
cord, N. H., and the young man went to the Con-
cord corporation, where he became a clerk. He
worked for his father for two years, and then
went to Lowell where he entered the law office of
his cousin, Hon. Josiah G. Abbott (q.v.). In 1842
he became a student in the law school at Cam-
bridge, Mass., but during the two and a half years
that he remained there he maintained his connec-
tion with his cousin's office. On Jan. 1, 1845, he
was admitted to the Middlesex bar in Cambridge,
and opened a law office on Londonderry turnpike,
now Broadway, Lawrence, Mass. In January,
1849, when he was twenty-seven years old, he was
admitted to practice before the supreme court of
the United States. Some time previous to this a
survey of the Merrimack river from Lowell to the
sea had been made for the purpose of ascertaining
the expense involved in the building of a series of
locks, after which the matter was dropped. In



322



THE NATIONAL CYCLOPEDIA



! Daniel Saunders, Sr., happened to find a
profile plan of the proposed enterprise. It seemed
feasible to the eider Saunders and he interested
snme of his friends in it. The Merrimack Water
Power Association was formed in 1843 to develop
the river water power, and Daniel Saunders, Jr.,
was a member of the association. In 1S45 the
Essex Co. bought out the interests of the associa-
tion for $20,000, and a few years later Daniel
Saunders, Jr., was made a director of the Essex
Co.. a position he held until his death. Mr. Saun-
ders was active politically, and though he was al-
ways a Democrat, he preferred to vote for the best
candidate in the field regardless of party affilia-
tions. In 1848 he was elected to the state senate
and served one term. Ten years later, though not
a candidate, he was chosen a member of the house
of representatives at a special election to fill the
unexpired term of George Bensen. In 1859 he was
elected mayor of Lawrence on the Democratic
ticket. One of the first events during his adminis-
tration was the fall of the Pemberton mills, one of
the worst catastrophes in the history of the city,
Mayor Saunders was a leading factor in the rescue
work, and as a testimonial of appreciation he was
presented with a large silver service by the citi-
zens of Lawrence. For many years up to the time
of his death he was president of the Lawrence
Savings Bank and the Sawyer Eiver Railroad Co.
He was a member of Grecian Lodge, A. F. &
A. M., the Monday Night Club, Harvard Club of
Lawrence, and the Bostonian Society. He was
also a member of Grace Episcopal Church. He
was married Oct. 7, 1846, to Mary J., daughter of
Edward Saint Loe Livermore, of Lowell, Mass.,
and their children were: Charles G., associated
with the law business of his father and uncle;
Mary L.; Annie G.; and Edith St. Loe Saunders.
He died in Lawrence, Mass., Apr. 19, 1917.

MTJNSON, Loveland, jurist, was born in
Manchester, Vt., July 21, 1843, son of Cyrus
and Lucy (Loveland)' Muuson. His first Ameri-
can ancestor was Thomas Munson, a native of
England, who was a pioneer of Hartford, Conn.,
in 1637, and of New Haven, Conn., in 1639,
and afterwards served as captain of the New
Haven company in the Indian wars. From
Thomas Munson and his wife Joanna the line
of descent is traced through their son Samuel,
who married Martha Bradley; their son Joseph,
who married Margery Hitchcock; their son
Ephraim, who married Comfort Curtis; their
sou Jared, who married Anuorah Hale; their son
Rufus, who married Bethiah Burton, and was
the grandfather of the subject of this sketch,
Loveland Munson was educated in the public
schools of Manchester and the Burr and Burton
Seminarv of that place, being graduated at the
latter in 1M32. In the following year he became
the editor of the Manchester "Journal," and
for the three years he was conducting it he was
also engaged in the study of law in the office
i't' Klias B. Burton. Admitted to the bar in
1866, he began the practice of his profession in
partnership with his former preceptor under the
firm name of Burton & Munson. He was town
clerk of Manchester from 1866 to 1873, and was
register of probate 1866-76. He was the delegate
from Manchester to the constitutional convention
of 1870, and represented that town in the legis-
latures of 1872 and 1874, serving as chairman of
the judiciary committee in his second term; and
in 187$ was elected to the state senate, where he
was chosen president pro tempore. In 1882 he
was again a member of the lower house. His



sound sense and absolute sincerity gave him
the leadership of the house, both in 1S74 aud
in 1882. Strong in debate, his speeches uni-
formly commanded the close and respectful at-
tention of his colleagues and almost always their
hearty support of measures advocated by him.
He was appointed judge of probate for the
district of Manchester in May, 1883, and con-
tinned in that office until 1889. In 1887 he was
made chairman of a committee authorized by
the legislature of 1886 to revise and redraft the
school laws and incorporate with their revision
new features to improve the schools and present
the same in the form of a bill. The bill so
drafted, with some few changes, became the
school law enacted in 1S8S. In 1889 he was ap-
pointed by Gov. Dilliugham a judge of the PU-
preme court; and from 1890 to January, 1915,
he was biennially elected to that office' by the
legislature, his last election being as chief jus-
tice. Some of the more important supreme court
opinions written by Judge Munson appear in
the following cases: Boutwell v. Marr, 71 Vt. 1;
Stearns v. City of Barre, 73 Vt. 281 ; Avery v.
Vermont Electric Co., 75 Vt. 235; Caldbeek v.
Simanton. 82 Vt. 69; State v. Howard, S3 Vt.
6 ! State v. Clement National Bank, 84 Vt. 167;
Roberts v. W. H. Hughes Co., 86 Vt. 76 ; State
v - Lapoint, 87 Vt. 115; Fitzgerald v. Metropoli-
tan Life Insurance Co., 9U Vt. 291. In 1875
ue . delivered an excellent "Address on the Early
History of Manchester," which was afterwards
published. He has been president of the Mark
Skinner Library in Manchester since its opening
iu .1897, and is a member of the Vermont His-
tor i ca l Society. Judge Munson was married in
Boston, Mass., May 4, 1882, to Mary Burton,
daughter of Rev. Alexander Bennett Campbell,
wh o for twenty-six years was pastor of the C'on-
gregational church of Mendon, 111.

CONAWAY, Asbury Bateman, jurist, was
horn near the village of Leroy, McLean, co., 111.,
Oet - 13 > 18:(7 > son of William and Emily (Porter)
Conaway. When he was thirteen years of age the
family removed to Mt. Pleasant, la., where he was
educated in private schools and the Iowa Wesleyan
University. Having an unusually active brain and
great love for study, he completed the four years'
classical course in three, and was graduated in
I860 with the highest honors of his class. At the
same time he studied law and received his LL.B.
degree from the university in the same year.
Shortly after graduation he was elected justice of
the peace, and served until the following spring,
when he resigned the office to remove with the
family to Chariton, la. In 1862 he enlisted in the
18th Iowa volunteer infantry, and soon rose to the
rank of captain; was engaged in several battles
and wounded at the battle of Wilson's Creek, near
Springfield, Mo. Returning to Chariton at the
close of the war, he entered on the practice of law
and was elected a member of the Iowa legislature.
In 1867 the discovery of gold in what is now
Wyoming led to the founding of South Pass City
and also led the Union Pacific railroad to estab-
lish Cheyenne. Mr. Conaway was among those
who settl'ed in the former place in 1868, when the
region was organized as Laramie county, Dakota,
and governed by a vigilance committee. The terri
tory of Wyoming was then organized in 1869 and
Mr. Conaway soon settled in practice in Green
River, where he became county and prosecuting
attorney of the county of Sweetwater. When
the movement for statehood came in 1889 Mr. Cona-
way was chosen a member of the constitutional



OF AMERICAN BIOGRAPHY.



323



convention which me^ in Nnvember, and on June
21, 1x90, he was appointed to the territorial su-
preme court by Pres. Harrison to succeed Justice
Samuel T. Corn. The state was admitted the tenth
of the following mouth, and Justice Conaway was
promptly elected to the same position in the new
commonwealth. He was a man of unusually large
physical stature, and had the great qualities of a
judge, never impulsive, peculiarly free of preju-
dices, with a strong sense of justice, broad and
profound learning and a literary style of excep-
tional excellence. According to custom, he became
chief justice on Jan. 4, 1897, but was destined to
serve less than a year. He received the degree of
LL.D. from Iowa Wesleyan University in 1S93.
Justice Conaway was iiever married. He died in
Cheyenne, W3~o., Dec. 7, 1897.

HARRIS, Norman Wait, banker, was born in
Beeket, Berkshire CO., Mass., Aug. 15, 1846, son of
Nathan Wait and Charity Emeline (Wadswurth)
Harris. The town of Beeket was originally
ceiled to four or six individuals, among whom
was his mother 's great-grandfather. His first
American paternal ancestor was Thomas Harris,
a native of England, who settled at C'harlestown,
Mass., in Ki.30. From Thomas Harris and his
wife, Elizabeth, the line of descent is traced
through their son Thomas, who married Martha
Lake; their son Ebcnezer and his wife C'hristo-
bel Crary; their son Nathan and his wife
Suzanna Rude; their son Daniel and his wife
Lucy Fox ; their son Nathan and his wife Hulda
Brega, of Brecket, Mass., who were the grand-
parents of Norman Wait Harris. Norman Wait
Harris was educated in the Westfield (Mass.)
Academy, and when eighteen years of age began
his business career as soliciting agent for a life
insurance company at Cincinnati, O. Two years
later he became the general agent of the Equitable
Life Assurance Society at Cincinnati. In 1S67
he organized the Union Central Life Insurance
Co. and became its secretary and general man-
ager, continuing as such for thirteen years, when
on account of threatened ill health he disposed of
his interests in the company and went to Europe
for rest and recreation. At that time he was
the largest individual stockholder in his company,
which was the second largest in the West. Re-
turning from Europe in 1881, he located in
Chicago, 111., and established the banking house
of N. W. Harris & Co., with branches in New
York city and Boston, Mass. This company
made a specialty of dealing in state, county, city,
and public service corporation bonds, the business of
the firm extending throughout the United States.
During 1907-13, Mr. Harris was president of the
Harris Trust & Savings Bank of Chicago, and
was also president of Harris, Forbes & Co.
of New York and N. W. Harris & Co., Inc., of
Boston. Aside from his business activities, Mr.
Harris was also a leader in other fields. For
many years he was a member of the International
Committee of the Young Men 's Christian Associa-
tion, to which he was a large financial contribu-
tor, and was vice-president of the board of trus-
tees of the Young Men 's Christian Association of
Chicago. He was president of the board of trus-
tees of the Chicago Training School for Home
and Foreign Missions, the largest training school
of its kind in the country, to which he gave the
land upon which its principal buildings are lo-
cated, and erected its chapel and one of its main
buildings known as Harris Hall. He also was
president of the board of trustees of the Dea-
coneso Pension Fund, which he founded, contribut-



ing thereto $100,000, and was a trustee of North-
western University, to which he donated $250,000 in
1913 to erect and maintain a building known as
Harris Hall of Political Science and History. In
1911 he gave $250,000 to the public school extension
of the Field Museum of Natural History in Chi-
cago. He was a prominent member of the Metho-
dist church, and was connected with many socie-
ties of a charitable and benevolent nature. He
was a member of the Union League Club of
Chicago, the Chicago Club, and the Lawyers',
Metropolitan and Sleepy Hollow Country clubs of
New York. Though his early education was
somewhat limited, he possessed a good mind, and
was unusually well informed upon the current
literature of the day and matters of public inter-
est generally. Of a quiet disposition, he pos-
sessed exceedingly strong domestic tastes, and
was much attached to his home. He was a
shrewd, active and energetic business man, and
had a spotless reputation. Affable and genial in
manner, he had a large circle of friends and
acquaintances. Mr. Harris was married three
times: (I) Jan. 1, 1867, to Jacyntha Valland-
ingham of Cincinnati, O., who died July 22, 1873;
(II) January 28, 1875, to Clara Cochnower, who
died July 1, 187fi, and (III) April 21, 1879, to
Emma S., daughter of Dr. Jonathan G. Gale of
Newton, N. H., and great-granddaughter of Dr.
Josiah Bartlett, one of the signers of the Declar-
ation of Independence. He was survived by his
wife and five children: Hayden Bartlett, Stanley
Gale, Pearl E., who married' M. Haddon MacLeaii,
Albert W. and N. Dwight Harris. He died at
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, July 15, 1916.

STOECKEL, Carl, philanthropist, was born in
New Haven, Conn., Dec. 7, 1858, son of Gustavo J.
and Matilda B. (Wehner) Stoeckel. His father,
a native of Germany, came to America in 1848,
was instructor in music at Yale College for many
years, and became the first professor of music at
tin' University under the Battell foundation. Carl
Stoeckel was educated in the Sidney A. Thomas



Online LibraryNorris Galpin OsbornThe National cyclopaedia of American biography, being the history of the United States as illustrated in the lives of the founders, builders, and defenders of the republic, and of the men and women who are doing the work and moulding the thought of the present time (Volume 17) → online text (page 95 of 135)