Copyright
North Carolina. Property Tax System Study Committe.

Spokane and the Spokane country : pictorial and biographical : deluxe supplement (Volume 1) online

. (page 11 of 16)
Online LibraryNorth Carolina. Property Tax System Study CommitteSpokane and the Spokane country : pictorial and biographical : deluxe supplement (Volume 1) → online text (page 11 of 16)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


hundred loaves of bread and transportation out of the city. The



196 jjgnjej §. Btotgftt

council did not comply with the demand but gave them the necessary
provisions for the time being and the Northern Pacific Railroad
Company furnished the transportation in the way of box cars. It
was while Mr. D wight was a member of the board that Adlai E.
Stevenson, then vice president of the United States, visited Spokane
on his trip to the west, and in his official capacity our subject was
one of the committee on entertainment.

Mr. D wight has been treasurer of the Chamber of Commerce
and is active in that work which is instituted by the organization for
Spokane's improvement. He holds membership with the Sons of the
American Revolution and has been president of the local chapter.
He joined Imperial Lodge, No. 134, I. O. O. F., immediately after
its organization. He is a member of Westminster Congregational
church and has always been ready to assist in charitable and benevo-
lent work. He contributed toward erecting and maintaining the
present Young Men's Christian Association building and many other
worthy enterprises.

His home life, too, had its inception in Spokane in his marriage,
on the 9th of August, 1887, to Miss Mary P. Willis, a daughter of
W. G. Willis, a retired merchant of Duluth, Minnesota, who re-
moved to Spokane and made this city his home. He was born in
Dana, Massachusetts, a representative of an old New England fam-
ily, and was a Civil war veteran. Mr. and Mrs. Dwight are the par-
ents of three children: Daniel Willis, born July 21, 1893; Mary E.,
August 12, 1895; and Dorothy F., August 26, 1899. All are yet in
school. Mr. Dwight has a wide acquaintance in Spokane and the
number of his friends is almost coextensive therewith. Even in his
business life he has contributed to the upbuilding and improvement
of the city and in public office his labors have been of almost incal-
culable benefit. While he works toward high ideals, his methods are
practical and his achievements notable.




Josepi) Cbtoarb (§anbp, 01. 9.

iR. JOSEPH EDWARD GANDY, a Spokane cap-

Dv/ ,J italist, whose identification with the city dates from
|2> the spring of 1880, has through his business activity
»2 1 proven a most potent factor in the work of upbuild-
ing and development here. The evidences of his
sound business judgment and judicious investments
are found in many of the substantial buildings of Spokane and his
devotion to the public welfare is evidenced by the fact that he was
one of the organizers of the Chamber of Commerce and has been a
substantial and generous supporter to a large number of public
projects.

Dr. Gandy was born at Sheboygan, Wisconsin, August 24, 1847,
a son of Thomas and Minerva (Ross) Gandy. In the year 1843 the
father removed from Philadelphia to Wisconsin where he engaged
in teaching school, in farming and in other occupations. His wife
was a descendant of Edward Carpenter Ross, who came to this
country from Scotland in 1670 and settled in Vermont. Subse-
quently representatives of the family removed to Ohio and in 1836
when a young girl, Mrs. Gandy accompanied her parents to Linn
county, Iowa. She afterward made a visit to Wisconsin and there
met Thomas Gandy who sought her hand in marriage. They re-
sided for a few years in the Badger state and then removed to Linn
county, Iowa, in 1849. It was in that county that Dr. Gandy largely
spent Ills youthful days and acquired his preliminary education in
the district schools. On the 10th of May, 1864, he responded to the
country's call for troops, enlisting in Company D of the Forty-fourth
Iowa Infantry when a mere boy in his teens. With that command
he served until the close of the war and took part in several en-
gagements in Mississippi, Tennessee and Alabama. He was one
of the youngest soldiers of the northern army but his fearlessness
and loyalty were equal to that of many a veteran of twice his years.

When the war was over Dr. Gandy returned home and completed
a classical course in Cornell College at Mount Vernon, Iowa, from
which he was graduated in 1870. He then took up the study of
medicine in the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor and was



200 3fogepft C&toarb &atti>|>, M. jg.

graduated from the medical department with the class of 1873.
For two years thereafter he practiced at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and
in 1875 arrived in Washington, settling first in Tacoma, where he
engaged in practice for five years. In 1879, when a member of the
territorial legislature from Pierce county, he supported and was a
leading factor in the division of Stevens county, thereby creating
Spokane county and temporarily establishing the county seat at
Spokane Falls, which was later removed to Cheney.

Dr. Gandy dates his residence in Spokane from the spring of
1880, at which time the population of the city numbered but two
hundred and fifty. It had already entered upon a period of rapid
growth, however, for in the previous year its inhabitants had num-
bered but one hundred. There were only three stores in the settle-
ment and the little village showed every evidence of being upon
the frontier. Dr. Gandy at once purchased a plat of land near the
corner of Howard and Front streets, where the Union block now
stands, and thereon erected a building. Since that time he has been
very active and prominent in the building operations of the city and
the evidences of his progressive and enterprising spirit are seen in
many of the substantial structures here. In 1883 he was associated
with Moore & Goldsmith, R. W. Forrest and E. B. Hyde in build-
ing the first Union block of Spokane, which was the second brick
building erected in this city and stood at the southeast corner of
Howard and Front streets. The year after his arrival here Dr.
Gandy was also appointed surgeon for the United States army and
filled that position for two years, at the end of which time he resigned
to continue in the private practice of medicine until 1889. His
building operations have long continued and have been an important
feature in Spokane's development. Among some of the later struc-
tures which he has erected were the two Union blocks, the building
now occupied by Tull & Gibbs, the Gandy block on Sprague avenue
and the new Hotel Willard, which is at the corner of First and
Madison streets and is one of the modern hostelries of the north-
west. He has also figured in connection with financial affairs here,
for he was one of the organizers of the Exchange National Bank,
also of the Citizens National and the Big Bend National Bank of
Davenport. The last two, however, are now out of existence.

The life history of Dr. Gandy if written in detail would present
a most faithful picture of pioneer conditions and experiences in this
section of the country. In 1877 together with five other men he made
a trip on horseback from Tacoma to the Yakima and Pasco country.



gggggg gatoarj #anbp, jW. jg. 201

They crossed the Cascade mountains and followed the McClellan
path through Natehes Pass to old Yakima City. From that point
they traveled all over what is now Klickitat and Benton counties,
coming out on the Columbia river and thence returning to Yakima.
This was during the period of the Nez Perces uprising. There are
few men capable of speaking with as much authority upon matters
connected with the history of eastern Washington as Dr. Gaudy, for
not only has he been an interested witness of all the events and
changes which have occurred but has also been an active factor in
the work that has wrought the wonderful transformation which has
evolved the splendid civilization of the present day from the wilder-
ness of pioneer times. Moreover, he has been active in shaping the
political history of the state, for in 1877 he was first elected a mem-
ber of the territorial legislature from Pierce county, in which he
served a term of two years. Following the admission of the state to
the Union he was elected a member of the general assembly in 1889,
in 1890 and in 1893. He was a member and the first president of
the Spokane city council in 1882, serving one year. In 1884 and
1885 he was chairman of a committee which was organized for the
purpose of collecting funds and building good roads, eight thousand
dollars being secured in three months, and he had charge of the ex-
penditure. So satisfactorily was the work accomplished that the
farmers solidly supported the measure to remove the county seat
from Cheney back to Spokane, which Mas accomplished by a large
majority. In I880 and 1886 Dr. Gandy was one of the principals
in raising by subscription one hundred and seventy-five thousand
dollars to build the Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad into
Spokane, was a member of the committee, and subscribed one thou-
sand dollars besides personally soliciting funds. In 1887 he was a
large subscriber to the Great Northern Railroad fund for the pur-
pose of buying the right-of-way for that road through Spokane and
also Mr. Corbin's railroad in 1893, this being the Spokane Falls &
Northern, which was subsequently absorbed by the Great Northern
— the Hill system. About 1896 he also subscribed largely for the
fund to purchase the ground for Fort Wright. In politics Dr. Gandy
has always been a stalwart republican, believing firmly in the prin-
ciples of the party as factors in good government, yet never plac-
ing partisanship before the general welfare nor personal aggrandize-
ment before the public good.

Dr. Gandy has been married twice. By the first marriage there
were two children: Hon. Lloyd E. Gandy, a prominent attorney



202 Joseph Cbtoarb &anbp, jM. g ,

of this city; and Mary Leona Gandy, now living in Seattle. On
the '23d of January, 1902, Dr. Gandy wedded Harriet Ross, widow
of the late Andrew J. Ross. He maintains pleasant relations with
his old army comrades through his membership in Sedgwick Post,
G. A. R., of which he is a past commander, and at the present time
is medical director of the department of Washing-ton and Alaska.
He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and was a charter member
and the first vice president of the Spokane County Medical Society.
He was one of the organizers of the Chamber of Commerce and is
prominent in the Pioneer Society, which he served as president in
1910. No history of Spokane and the Inland Empire would be com-
plete without extended and prominent representation of Dr. Gandy,
for his record as a soldier, as an official, as a medical practitioner
and as a business man has been so honorable that he has gained the
confidence and good-will of all with whom he has been brought in
contact, his private activities and his public service winning him
high encomiums from his fellowmen.





. 4^./5^^o



i^E^i$C ICHARD ASHTON HUTCHINSON is well

ii T^ II known m Spokane through the real-estate business

which he has conducted, but is perhaps more widely

known throughout the state as the senator from the

Spokane district. He has been almost continuously

in office since 1882 when, at the first election held in

Spokane county, he was chosen assessor. Consecutive progress has

brought him to a position of prominence and individual ability has

made him a leader in public thought and action.

Mr. Hutchinson was born in Grand Gulf, Mississippi. February
14, 18:53, a son of William Dean and Margaret (Murray) Hutchin-
son. The father, who was born in Kentucky in 1798, was a cousin
of Andrew Jackson, whose mother belonged to the Hutchinson fam-
ily. In 1836 William Dean Hutchinson removed from Kentucky to
Illinois and afterward went to Havana, Cuba, where he was engaged
in business until the outbreak of the Mexican war, when he returned
to the United States and volunteered for service with the Mississippi
troops. He also went to California in 1849 with the argonauts in
search of the golden fleece, but after a brief period spent on the coast
returned to Mississippi. His opposition to slavery caused him to join
John Brown in his famous campaign in Kansas and during the Civil
war he served as guide on General Sigel's staff in Missouri but became
disabled and left the army. In the winter of 1862 he went to Col-
orado but returned to Kansas and was the builder of the first house
in Hays City, that state. He became a resident of eastern Washing-
ton, and he and his sons became the first settlers in what is now Mon-
dovi, Lincoln county, where his death occurred on the 8th of Novem-
ber, 1884. There have been few men whose lives have been more
closely connected with a greater number of events of national im-
portance than William Dean Hutchinson. Enterprising in spirit,
fearless in action, he was the champion of his country's interest in the
Mexican war, the friend of the oppressed when slavery marred the
fair name of the nation and he met with valorous spirit the hardships
and privation incident to pioneer life in California and Washington.
His wife was of Irish and Scotch descent. Her father was a lieu-

205



206 jRitftatb agfrton %uttl)tngon

tenant in the Scotch Grays of the British army during the Napoleonic
wars and fought under Wellington throughout the Peninsular cam-
paign and at Waterloo.

Richard Ashton Hutchinson was with his father in Missouri in
18.57 when a lad of four years and afterward in Colorado and Kan-
sas. While in the former state he served as a page in the legislature
and also worked for a time in the Denver mint. During his residence
in Kansas he was for seven years engaged in driving cattle and in
conducting a store as well as in righting Indians, for the settlers had
to contest their right to the territory against the red men. In 1872
with the others of the family he became a pioneer of Quillayute
county on the Pacific coast where he improved and developed land.
About that time his father met with reverses and the support of the
family fell upon Richard A. Hutchinson, then twenty-two years of
age. From 1873 until 1879 he worked in the coal mines at Newcastle,
King county, but while there became crippled and also lost his health.
On the 1st of May, 1879, he started on foot for eastern Washington
with his younger brother William Hutchinson. They arrived at Spo-
kane on the 20th day of May, finding here a hamlet of fifty people.
The brothers took up land thirty-five miles west of the city which they
developed and cultivated, transforming it into a valuable tract which
they still own. Almost from the beginning of his residence in Spo-
kane county Mr. Hutchinson has been prominent as a factor in its
public life. At its first election held in 1882 the district, then com-
prising the present counties of Spokane, Lincoln, Adams, Douglas
and Franklin, he was elected assessor. In 1883 the division of the
county was changed so that his property was beyond the borders of
Spokane county and as he wished to be with his father he resigned his
office but was elected assessor of Lincoln county. In June, 1886, he
grubstaked the half breeds who discovered the mines at Ruby camp,
Okanogan county when the reservation was first opened. He has
always been interested there and still retains a working property in
that district. When Joseph's band of Nez Perce Indians were
brought to Spokane in 1886 he received them as prisoners of war and
took them to the Nespelem valley on the Colville reservations where
he lived with them until July, 1889, teaching them farming. During
the first year and a half Mr. Hutchinson and his wife were the only
white residents with those Indians, his nearest neighbor being a
horseman fifteen miles distant, on the south side of the Columbia
river.

From time to time Mr. Hutchinson was called to public office and
has done not a little in shaping the policy of the country during its



aUcfjarb ggjjton j^utctjingon 207

formative period. In 1890 he had charge of the United States census
in Lincoln county and was elected a memher of the house of repre-
sentatives for the fifteenth district. In 1892 he was chosen senator
from Okanogan and Lincoln counties representing the first district,
and thus he was actively concerned with framing the laws of the state,
giving careful consideration to every important question which came
up for settlement.

Reverses overtook Mr. Hutchinson in 1893, for during the panic
of that year he lost all of his property and was in deht fifteen thou-
sand dollars, hut with resolute spirit he looked to the future to retrieve
his losses and in 1895 came to Spokane, where with a borrowed capital
of five hundred dollars he embarked in the real-estate business. Such
was the sound judgment that he displayed in his purchases and sales
of property that within a short time he was able to regain possession
of his old home in Lincoln county and discharge all of his indebted-
ness. Since that time he has continued not only to engage in the
real-estate business but also in mining and he is one of the most ex-
tensive individual wheat raisers in the state, having over ten thousand
acres in Lincoln, Adams, Douglas and Spokane counties. His min-
ing interests are in the Coeur d'Alenes, British Columbia and in Okan-
ogan and Stevens counties. Recognizing the possibilities for the
country especially when water can be secured to aid in its development,
Mr. Hutchinson became the promoter of the Opportunity irrigation
district east of Spokane. The National Country Life Commission,
appointed by President Roosevelt, said of Opportunity: "It is the
most ideal place for Rural Homes that we have seen." Since dispos-
ing of his interests in Opportunity Mr. Hutchinson has been actively
engaged in real-estate dealing in Spokane, especially handling that
district of the city known as the Hutchinson addition. His fitness
for office as indicated by his public-spirited citizenship and his devo-
tion to all that works for the welfare of the locality and the common-
wealth led to his election in 1906 to the house of representatives from
Spokane county and in 1908 he was elected from the fourth district
to the state senate, wherein his term of office will continue until 1912.

Senator Hutchinson has been twice married, his first wife being
Miss Amelia Johnson, a native of Washington. They were married
in 1883. Three children were born to bless this union: Margaret
Elizabeth, wife of J. B. Hayes; Ida A., and William Dean. Mrs.
Hutchinson died April 10, 1893. On the 9th of February, 189.5, he
was united in marriage to Marguerite Wright, a native of Virginia
and a daughter of Weitzel A. and Sarah Ann (Taylor) Wright.
Mrs. Hutchinson taught the first school in Wenatchee in 188.5, being



208



&it!jarb &£i!)ton ^utchinsion



then only sixteen years of age. Three children were born of this
union, Marita, Rachael and Richard Ashton, Jr. The parents are
members of the Episcopal church and are interested in all those feat-
ures which contribute to the material, intellectual, social and moral
welfare of the community. The life record of Mr. Hutchinson if
written in detail would present many thrilling and unusual chapters
because of his life on the frontier and his experience with the red men,
as well as his efforts to attain advancement in a business way, ef-
forts that have ultimately been crowned with a substantial measure
of success.






IH|


1


T I


1


H' ■ i


B;


fl^Pi^^H











/>irj '/,/,■/■



James Clark



JI STORY was formerly a record of wars and con-

He™ quests but has become a record of business activity
f^ and of man's utilization of natural resources. In
™™ this connection the life work of James Clark is nota-
ble. He came to America when a youth in his teens
and gradually worked his way upward until he be-
came one of the conspicuous figures in mining circles in the west and
in fact his name was known throughout the length and breadth of
the country. Prosperity did not come to him as the result of for-
tunate conditions or circumstances, but because of his keen sagacity,
manifested in judicious investments and the careful conduct of his
business interests.

He was born in Ireland in 1849 and died on the 8th of August,
1901. Within that period he accomplished that which would be a
credit and honor to the life of any individual. His parents were
James and Mary Clark, and while spending his youthful days in the
parental home he pursued his education and thus laid the foundation
for his later advancement. Favorable reports reached him concern-
ing business conditions in the new world and he was but seventeen
years of age when he with his brother, Patrick Clark, came to the
United States. They made their way westward to Butte, Montana,
and while Patrick Clark became associated with Marcus Daly as fore-
man in the development of the Alice mine and later in the opening
and operation of the Anaconda mine, James Clark worked as a miner
and day by day added to his knowledge and experience of the busi-
ness. Later he made his way to the Coeur d'Alene district where he
was also engaged in mining, and eventually he became interested in
mining property at Rossland, British Columbia, being superintend-
ent of the well known War Eagle mine. He was afterward one of
the original discoverers of Republic camp, locators and owners of the
Republic and other mines there and from its sale realized a hand-
some fortune. As the years passed he became recognized as an ex-
pert on mining property and its possibilities, and the soundness of
his judgment was proven in his splendid success, making him one of

211



212 James Clarfe

the wealthy men of the northwest and one of the hest known repre-
sentatives of mining interests in the entire country.

Mr. Clark was married in Butte, Montana, in 1883, to Mrs. Char-
lotte (Willman) Toner, a daughter of Henry and Alicia (Foy)
Willman, of Ireland. They have three children: Agnes, at home;
Patrick of the Traders National Bank, in which institution the es-
tate has large holdings of stock ; and Katherine, at school. The fam-
ily circle was broken by the hand of death, when on the 8th
of August, 1901, Mr. Clark passed away. His political allegiance
was given to the democratic party and fraternally he was connected
with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He was a devout ad-
herent of the Roman Catholic church. His friends found him a very
witty man, quick at repartee and a most congenial and entertaining
companion. He possessed the characteristic versatility and ability of
people of his nationality and his record is a credit alike to the land
of his birth and the land of his adoption. In business his associates
and colleagues found him reliable as well as enterprising and pro-
gressive, and his efforts were ever of a character that contributed to
the general development and consequent prosperity of the northwest
as well as to his individual success.





tyi/^CyC^-^ ctscs^o—c—i^s




3Tame$ g. &nber£ton

)ARMING, stock-raising, merchandising, banking,
mining, real-estate dealing — all have claimed the at-
tention of James A. Anderson, and in each held he
has operated successfully. He is today a prominent
figure in financial circles in Spokane, is also inter-
ested in the Division Street Hardware Company and
is the owner of considerable valuable property in the Palouse country.
He was born in Iowa, May 14>, 1859, a son of John and Margaret
(Davis) Anderson, both of whom were natives of Scotland and were
descended from old and prominent Scotch families. Both are now
deceased, the mother passing away in 1874. Several sons and daugh-
ters of the family are living in this country.

The removal of his parents from Iowa to Kansas in his early
youth made James A. Anderson a pupil in the schools of the latter
state and in the high school, where he completed his education. He
was engaged in farming and stock-raising in Kansas during the period
of his early manhood but came to Washington in 1889 and turned
his attention to commercial pursuits, becoming a dealer in hardware,
implements and grain at Rosalia. There he remained until 1906,
when he removed to Spokane, and the success which he had achieved
along commercial lines enabled him to become one of the large stock-
holders in the Spokane State Bank, of which he was elected presi-
dent in 1907. This institution conducts a general banking business,
with J. A. Anderson as president; H. A. Steinke, vice president; G.
W. Peddycord, cashier; and H. W. Belshaw, Josh Wilson, J. M.
Donovan and J. W. Bursell as directors. The bank is capitalized for
fifty thousand dollars and has a surplus of twelve thousand. A gen-
eral banking business is conducted and this is the only bank on the
north side, its location being at the corner of Division and Nora


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 16

Online LibraryNorth Carolina. Property Tax System Study CommitteSpokane and the Spokane country : pictorial and biographical : deluxe supplement (Volume 1) → online text (page 11 of 16)