Copyright
North Carolina. Property Tax System Study Committe.

Spokane and the Spokane country : pictorial and biographical : deluxe supplement (Volume 1) online

. (page 15 of 16)
Online LibraryNorth Carolina. Property Tax System Study CommitteSpokane and the Spokane country : pictorial and biographical : deluxe supplement (Volume 1) → online text (page 15 of 16)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in Manito Park and offered to the club fifty-two acres of land for
one hundred and forty-five dollars per acre. The purchase was made
and after holding this for a little over four years the club sold it at
thirteen hundred and seventy dollars per acre, investing the proceeds
in two hundred and forty acres in Little Spokane. At present they
have a very fine club house and the organization owns its own water
supply and sewage system, while the total improvements on this
property aggregate one hundred and eighty thousand dollars. Their
building is one hundred and seventy-five feet long, was constructed
to accommodate five hundred members, has thirty-two sleeping apart-
ments and is altogether one of the handsomest club houses in the
country, pleasantly situated just eight miles north from Riverside
and Howard streets. With the exception of a single year Mr. Mc-
Collough has continuously served on the board of directors since the
club was organized and is now secretary and treasurer.

Mr. McCollough likewise belongs to the Spokane Club and Ro-
tary Club, is a life member of the Spokane Athletic Club and a char-
ter member of the Coeur d'Alene Boat Club. He likewise belongs
to Spokane Lodge, No. 7-1, F. & A. M., is a member of the Young
Men's Christian Association and a leading representative of the
Chamber of Commerce, having served many times on its important
committees. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party
and his military experience came to him as lieutenant of the Gover-
ernor's Guard under Governor Richard Oglesby, of Illinois. He
was held with his company in the armory for three days preparatory
to being called out for duty at the time of the Haymarket riots in
Chicago.

Mr. McCollough was married in Spokane, November 14, 1889, to
Miss Mary A. Wolgamot, a daughter of John F. Wolgamot, con-
nected with mining interests in the northwest. His friends find him a



286 Jfranfe &. jttcCoflmigft

genial, courteous and obliging gentleman. It would be difficult to
place a limit upon the influence of his activities along business and
social lines. He is well fitted by nature for leadership for his judg-
ment is sound, his sense of justice keen and his spirit always stim-
ulated by progressiveness. These qualities have placed him where
he is today— in a prominent position in the business and club life of
Spokane.



OTiUiam 3 . Mtktv&on

lILLIAM J. NICKERSON, while conducting a

W|wv) general real-estate business, largely handles his own
Wl properties. While he is now developing and con-
» ducting an extensive business in the purchasing and
sale of realty he has also been most active as a fac-
tor in promoting the progress and advancing the
civilization which has taken Spokane and this section of the state out
of the pioneer class, placing the city with all of its advantages, oppor-
tunities and improvements on a par with the cities of the older east.
His birth occurred near Coburg, Ontario, Canada, August 8, 1843.
His father, Ephraim Andrew Nickerson, also a native of that coun-
try, was descended in the maternal line from a family represented in
the Revolutionary war. His mother's ancestors were from Amster-
dam, Holland, and in the early colonial epoch settled on the Hudson
river where the Van Rensselaers also located. She was taken pris-
oner by the Indians and held in captivity for a long time but was
afterward released. Her father, however, was kept as a prisoner by
the Indians for seven years and her adopted brother, when captured,
was killed and un jointed from his toes to his hips, the pieces of his
body being thrown down before his foster father. Ephraim Andrew
Nickerson, born and reared in Canada resided for a number of years
in Iowa, where he filled the office of justice of the peace and school
director and held other positions of public trust. It was in 1855 that
he became a resident of Manchester, Delaware county, Iowa, where
he engaged in farming and in following that pursuit he provided a
comfortable living for his family. He died in 1892 but is still sur-
vived by his wife, who is living in Spokane at the advanced age of
ninety-one years. She bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Ash and
was born in Canada, where she was married though she was reared in
the United States.

William J. Nickerson was a young lad when the family left
Canada, going first to Illinois and thence to the vicinity of Man-
chester, Iowa, where the father purchased land, the family there re-
siding until 1863. On the 1st of June, 1864, they went to Oakland,
California, making the long trip across the plains, and William J.



290 Saailtiam 3- Jltckergon

Nickerson attended school in Alameda and afterward became a col-
lege student at San Jose and Santa Clara, being graduated in the
latter city in 1865. In that year he went to San Francisco, where he
engaged in the shipping and forwarding business, first being em-
ployed as porter for the firm of Moss, Beadle, Goodall & Perkins.
From that position he was advanced through intermediate positions
to that of chief bookkeeper and had general charge of the business
in the office until 1874. For a short time he engaged in the commis-
sion business on his own account in partnership with a man named
Danzell. In 1883 he made his way to Washington and afterward
to Plaza, Washington, and during the succeeding eighteen years was
closely connected with mercantile interests of that place. He also
served as postmaster there for sixteen years, from 1892 until 1908.
Seeking a still broader field of labor he removed from Plaza to Spo-
kane, where he has since engaged in real-estate and mining interests.
Like most of the men who have lived in the northwest he had at
different times been closely associated with mining and the life of the
camps in all of its different phases was familiar to him. He went to
Idaho in 1883, going over the "Jackass" trail and digging a way
through the snow, being thirteen days on that trail. He purchased
what was then known as the Charles Dickens mine but is now called
the Idaho Knickerbocker mine, a very fine property which is now ship-
ping its product. He also purchased placer mining ground on Trail
creek and was very successful in working it. In the fall of 1884 he
was there joined by his wife. Conditions seemed very crude at times
and yet there was a hospitality which made life enjoyable. At the
first dance held there the men dressed in miner's clothes with long-
topped boots, but everybody greatly enjoyed the ball. There was no
school in the district and to meet this need Mr. Nickerson and others
organized a school, getting up entertainments in order to meet the ex-
penses. They produced such plays as "Uncle Tom's Cabin," and it is
said that "dollars fairly rained upon the stage" until they had money
enough to build a schoolhouse and pay the teacher. The town was then
called Beaver but the name has since been changed to Delta. While at
Plaza Mr. Nickerson filled the office of justice of the peace.

With advancing years and the changes in conditions Mr. Nick-
erson wished to become a factor in the city life with its broader busi-
ness opportunities and removed to Spokane, where he has since con-
ducted a general real-estate business although much of the property
which he handles he purchased outright. He is still interested in
the Idaho Knickerbocker and the Royal Copper Mining Companies,



OTilliam J. fiitktv&on



291



of which he is secretary-treasurer. He is also interested in the Val-
ley Mining Company and other mining property near Valley, Wash-
ington, and he likewise owns property near Princeton, British Colum-
bia, comprising twenty-four claims.

In 1872, in Solano county, California, Mr. Nickerson was united
in marriage to Miss Alice E. Patterson, a daughter of Robert Pat-
terson, of Solano county, formerly of Pennsylvania, and a repre-
sentative of one of the old American families. They have become
parents of three children: William Harley; Claude Robert; and
Pearl E., who is the wife of John Moore, of Mount Vernon, Wash-
ington.

While residing in California Mr. Nickerson served in the state
militia for five years as a member of Company A, of the First Regi-
ment of the California National Guards of San Francisco. He was
also made a Mason in San Francisco lodge. In politics he is a repub-
lican and has been a delegate to various county and state conventions
of his party. At different times he has held local offices and was
very active as a political leader in Idaho during the early days. He
is now identified with the Chamber of Commerce and has ever kept
in touch with the trend of modern progress, becoming a cooperant
factor in the projects and movements which have brought about the
present day civilization and prosperity.





£7\C^i> *-^^L^V^^



Hauctjltn JfflacHean

JAUCHLIN MacLEAN, commencing his career as a

L,«3«\ railroad man, in which connection he won success,
j||j and advancing from that into the real-estate field,
« is now a leading factor in the development and sale
of irrigated lands, being today one of the best
known and most prominent irrigationists of the
west. He has not confined his efforts alone to Spokane and vicinity
but has also promoted many other projects throughout the Inland
Empire and if, as has been often stated, "that man is blessed who
makes two blades of grass grow where one had grown," Mr. Mac-
Lean has contributed much to general progress and has merited the
prosperity which has crowned his own labors. He was born in Tyne
Valley, Prince Edward Island, July 24, 18.56. His parents, Donald
and Sarah (Ellis) MacLean, were also natives of that island, the
former born near Port Hill and the latter at Bedford, of Scotch and
English descent respectively. The MacLean family went to Prince
Edward Island from Mull, Scotland, and Donald MacLean became
a very prominent and influential citizen there, serving as one of the
three judges of that district, a judgeship in that locality being equiv-
alent to a seat on the superior court bench in the United States. He
was also very active in the Presbyterian church, in which he served
as a deacon and treasurer for thirty years. He died in 1891 and the
same year his wife passed away. Her family were shipbuilders and
went to Prince Edward Island from Bedford, England. Unto Mr.
and Mrs. Donald MacLean were born five sons and eight daugh-
ters: William, a farmer living at Northam, Prince Edward Island;
Hugh, a farmer of that locality ; James Edward, an agriculturist of
Tyne Valley; Dan, living on the old family homestead; Emily, the
wife of Alexander McArthur, a farmer of Northam; Mary Ann,
the wife of Lauchlin McNevin, a tanner and harness manufacturer
of Tyne Valley; Rachael, whose husband, Mr. Horn, is a farmer of
Elmsdale, Prince Edward Island; Maggie, Mina and Minerva, all
of whom married farmers on Prince Edward Island; and Mrs.
Caroline McAusland and Sarah Horn, both deceased.

295



296 HautfrUn JttacJUan

The other son of the family is Lauchlin MacLean, who was edu-
cated in the public schools of his native isle and until he reached the
age of fifteen years remained on the old homestead. He then worked
as water boy for a contractor on the Prince Edward Island Railway,
which was then being built, and subsequently he spent three years as
a stone cutter and builder, thoroughly acquainting himself with the
trade during that period. When the road was completed he had
charge of a section as foreman for three years and then came to the
west. He spent two years with an engineering party on the Burling-
ton & Missouri River Railroad at Beatrice, Nebraska, after which he
proceeded to Cheyenne, Wyoming, and obtained a position as brake-
man on the Union Pacific Railroad, being thus employed for six
months. Later he was promoted to the position of conductor and
ran a train on that line for two and a half years.

Mr. MacLean became connected with the Northern Pacific Rail-
road Company at the time when the eastern terminus of the west end
of its line was just east of what is now Plains, Montana, and was
one of the first conductors during its construction. Following the
completion of the line he ran a passenger train on the Montana divi-
sion until the company started to build its line from Pasco to Ellens-
burg. He acted as conductor of the construction train connected
with laying the track from Kiona to Ellensburg, after which he re-
tired from railroad service. During the succeeding two years he was
general agent for the Home Accident Company of San Francisco
for the territory of Washington and at the end of that time formed
a partnership with Major Fred R. Reed, now of southern Idaho,
in the real-estate and insurance business at North Yakima, entering
that field in 1886. The town was owned by the Northern Pacific
Railroad Company and he had full charge of the town site and all
the Northern Pacific lands in that district. In February, 1890, he
came to Spokane, arriving here shortly after the fire.

In this city Mr. MacLean entered the real-estate business, in
which he continued for two years, but the "wanderlust" was not yet
satisfied and he removed to Chelan Falls in what was then Okanogan
county. There he laid out the town site of Chelan Falls, remaining
at that place until the autumn of 1900, during which period he not
only managed the town site and conducted his real-estate interests
but also owned the hotel, the ferry boat and in addition occupied his
superfluous energies in managing his stock ranch near Chelan Falls.
He still owns the stock ranch of one thousand acres. In November,
1900, Mr. MacLean removed to Wenatchee and acted as agent for
the Northern Pacific land department, selling land in Chelan and



Haucfrlin jffilatHean 297

Douglas counties. In 1901 he promoted the high line ditch at We-
natchee, an immense irrigation project covering at that time eight
thousand acres. In June, 1903, he returned to Spokane, organized
the Spokane Canal Company and promoted what is now the famous
Otis Orchards, one of the garden spots of the Inland Empire and
destined to be one of the greatest producing centers of the north-
west. He continued as president and general manager of the com-
pany until April 24, 1911, and in the development of that project
six thousand acres were irrigated. Since coming to Spokane he has
also organized the Methow Canal Company and built the high line
Canal of the Methow valley, which covers four thousand acres.
Three years ago, in 1908, he formed a partnership with Harry L.
Irwin, of Chicago, and purchased the Fruit Land Irrigation Com-
pany at Kettle Falls and completed the last nineteen miles of ditch
line. He is still president of that company, whose line waters eight
thousand acres of land. In June, 1910, he bought out the Garden
Valley Irrigation Company and still owns that system in Ferry
comity, on the west side of the Columbia river, near Kettle Falls,
irrigating in that connection four thousand acres. Mr. MacLean
has closely studied the subject of irrigation and his efforts have been
a most practical element in the development of the Inland Empire
in the reclamation of wild lands and the conversion of arid tracts
into regions of productivity. Mr. MacLean is also well and widely
known in connection with farming and ranching interests, being now
president of the Sheep Creek Land Company, which planted one
thousand acres in Stevens county to alfalfa and put in a complete
irrigating system to cover it. On his ranch up the Columbia river
which he still owns he has two hundred acres under irrigation by
means of the gravity and pump system. He is also interested in
other companies — all irrigation enterprises of great importance and
all under development. The soil of this region is natural!}' very
fertile and the only tiling required is the water supply to make the
land extremely fruitful. Recognizing these facts, Mr. MacLean
has promoted many projects to bring about the desired results and
his labors are attended with success. His efforts have not only
brought him financial reward but have constituted a most important
factor in the development of this section of the state, the entire pub-
lic being thus indirectly benefited owing to the fact that emigration
is constantly attracted to this section and thus values in all lines of
business are advanced.

Home life, social interests and political activity have all had their
place in the life of Mr. MacLean. He was married January 15,



298 Uautftlin jWaelUan

1888, to Miss Laura G. Stone, a daughter of Nathan N. Stone, of
Vicksburg, Mississippi, and her grandmother was a first cousin of
Horace Greeley. They now have one son, Donald, who was born
February 22, 1904, and resides with his parents at their home at
Otis Orchards. Mr. McLean has always voted with the republican
party and has been very active in its support, deeming its principles
most potent forces in good government. He has been a delegate to
various conventions, both county and state, principally from Douglas,
Chelan and Okanogan counties. He has always assisted materially
in all elections and takes a keen interest in the growth and success of
his party. Fraternally he is a Mason, having been made a member
of Alexander Lodge, No. 5, Prince Edward Island, under the Grand
Lodge of England. He later demitted to Cheyenne, Wyoming, and
afterward became a charter member of the lodge under dispensation
at North Yakima, which afterward was consolidated and became
Lodge No. 24, of North Yakima. He demitted from there to join
Lodge No. 34, of Spokane, after the reorganization following the
great fire, and became one of the charter members of the Masonic
lodge at Wenatchee. His membership is now in Oriental Lodge,
No. 74, Spokane, and he is also a Royal Arch Mason, while both he
and his wife are connected with the Order of the Eastern Star. He
likewise holds membership with the Knights of Pythias at Wenat-
chee, was the first president of the Eagles there and is still a member
of the aerie. His membership relations with the Elks is in Everett,
Washinglon, he being the first Elk from the central part of this
state to place his membership there. He belongs also to the Spokane
Club and is a valued member of several organizations which have
for their object the advancement and development of the northwest
and the exploitation of its resources and opportunities. He belongs
to the Chamber of Commerce, of which he was a director for six and
a half years but resigned in 1910. He has been a director of the
National Apple Show since its organization and was also chairman
of the Spokane county committee of the Alaska- Yukon Exposition
at Seattle. He has attended six national irrigation congresses and
by reason of the extent and importance of his business along that
line his opinions have largely come to be regarded as authority con-
cerning irrigation projects. The influence and benefit of his work
are inestimable and the worth of his service no one doubts, as he has
taken cognizance of the conditions and needs of this part of the
country and in meeting the latter has contributed in large measure
to the development of the country which is fast rivaling any section
of this broad land in its productiveness.




»^^



Ux



£^^



Militant 3T. Harris

«[f 1LL1AM J. HARRIS, a Spokane capitalist inter-

Wtt ested in many paying mining propositions and also
J) in hotel properties in Spokane, was born in Halton
^ county, Ontario, on the 17th of August, 1859. His
^J parents, William Wellington and Hannah (Aikins)
Harris, were pioneer residents of that section of
Canada, to which the father removed with his parents from Pennsyl-
vania about 1815. William Wellington Harris was a young lad at
that time and in the ensuing years he experienced all of the hardships
and privations of frontier life and aided in all the arduous labor inci-
dent to the establishment of a home and the development of business
interests in a new district. Both he and his wife have been dead many
years. Of their family of ten children, six sons and four daughters,
four of the brothers came to the west and are well known as business
men in the various sections where they reside. John Harris owns
and operates a large stock farm on the Salmon river. Daniel Harris,
who was one of the pioneers of the Rossland mining camp of British
Columbia, now lives in Vancouver, British Columbia, with his four
sons and one daughter, who have the distinction of being the discov-
erers of the Nine Mile mountain near Hazelton, British Columbia,
and who are owners of the American Boy group and the Silver Cup
mine of that section. Thomas Harris, another brother of the family,
now living at Creston, British Columbia, was the discoverer of the
White Grouse Mountain district, near the headwaters of the East
Kootenai river, and is the owner of several group claims, the most
prominent of which is the Bonshaw mine. Of the two brothers who
remained in the east, Joseph Harris still lives on the old farm in On-
tario, while Hugh Harris, also a farmer, resides about sixteen miles
from the old homestead.

William J. Harris received such educational advantages as his
native county afforded. The schools, however, were mostly little log
buildings and the methods of instruction were quite primitive. As
soon as old enough to handle the plow William J. Harris began work
in the fields and did other labor incident to farm life. He was quite
young when his father died and he afterward left home, coming to

303



304 WiUliam 3T. %arrig

the United States when but twelve years of age. For a time he was
employed on a farm near Osage, Iowa, and, accumulating a little
money, he worked his way all over Iowa, Nebraska and South Da-
kota, finally settling in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where he engaged
in farming and stock raising. In the fall of 1884, when the Coeur
d'Alene mining excitement broke out, he disposed of his interest in
Sioux Falls and made his way to that district, where he arrived with
about four thousand dollars in cash. He had no experience in min-
ing and after sixty days found himself entirely without capital. He
did not become discouraged, however, and the next five years of his
life he spent in mining and doing any kind of honest work that he
could secure. He was one of the first men to work on the famous
Sullivan & Bunker Hill mine, which was his first experience in hard
rock mining. As Mr. Harris states, his five years were not a success
as far as money was concerned. It was all hard work and very little
reward; but he gained much valuable experience which proved the
foundation for his later success. However, it is a long lane that has
no turning and his way at length led him into more prosperous fields.
In the spring of 1889 Mr. Harris determined to come to Spokane
with the intention of entering into business in this city. At the time
of his arrival he had but thirty-five cents in his pocket. He had
learned, however, that industry and determination go far toward se-
curing success and he resolved that those qualities should constitute
the basis for advancement. He first took a position as manager of a
restaurant that was conducted by a Mr. Wolf, whom he had known
in the Coeur d'Alene district. A few weeks later he secured a res-
taurant that was being conducted in a tent on the present site of the
Young Men's Christian Association building by two men from the
Palouse country. In a few months he had realized seven hundred
and fifty dollars above all expenses and this sum he invested in an
interest in a hotel on the present site of the Empire State building.
By the following spring he had accumulated enough to purchase an
interest in the Merchants Hotel on Riverside avenue and it was while
conducting that hotel that he became interested in the LeRoi mine,
in which several of the prominent men of Spokane made their for-
tunes. A complete history of the LeRoi appears elsewhere in this
work. Mr. Harris was a director from the time the company was
incorporated and was its general manager at the time the property
was sold to the British Syndicate. He was also one of the committee
of four to select the site for the Xorthport smelter. There have been
but few intervals during the entire period of his residence in the



TOiUiam 3- %arrig 307

northwest that he has not been connected in greater or less degree
with mining interests, and at the present time he is a director of
the June group of copper mines on Vancouver Island, British Colum-
bia, and also of the Good Friday Consolidated Company of lied
Mountain, British Columbia, He is the sole owner of the Quartz


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15

Online LibraryNorth Carolina. Property Tax System Study CommitteSpokane and the Spokane country : pictorial and biographical : deluxe supplement (Volume 1) → online text (page 15 of 16)