North Carolina. Property Tax System Study Committe.

Spokane and the Spokane country : pictorial and biographical : deluxe supplement (Volume 1) online

. (page 9 of 16)
Online LibraryNorth Carolina. Property Tax System Study CommitteSpokane and the Spokane country : pictorial and biographical : deluxe supplement (Volume 1) → online text (page 9 of 16)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

crossed the Missouri river with two batteries and made a twenty-
eight-day march to St. Joseph, Missouri, where he joined Major
General Buell and moved with him to Louisville, Kentucky, where
he was placed in command of Artillery Park at the fair grounds and
also appointed inspector and assistant chief of artillery on General
Buell's staff. He remained with that commander until they reached
Huntsville, Alabama, when he was ordered to report to Governor
Andrew of Massachusetts, after which, upon the request of Governor
Andrew, General Barnard, chief of U. S. engineers, and General
Barry, chief of artillery, he was transferred to the First Massa-
chusetts Heavy Artillery and assumed command of his brigade con-
sisting of his own regiment and the Second New York Heavy Artil-
lery, occupying five forts on the south side of the Potomac. He
had been made colonel of the Sixteenth Massachusetts Volunteer
Infantry and this regiment had been previously raised by Lieuten-
ant Tannatt as colonel. The appointment made Mr. Tannatt a
senior colonel in the Army of the Potomac. He engaged in the bat-
tle of Malvern Hill and other engagements up to the battle of Fred-
ericksburg. While there he supervised the construction of Fort
Whipple (now Fort Meyer), and also Fort C. F. Smith.

During the Gettysburg campaign Colonel Tannatt was in com-
mand of forces south of the Potomac, extending from Chain bridge
to near Alexandria, and had under him five regiments of heavy artil-
lery and three regiments of one hundred day men from Pennsyl-

gEfromgg jt^etiiauig Eannatt 163

vania. When General Grant took command Colonel Tannatt was
ordered to select a brigade and join the Army of the Potomac, doing
so on the third day of the Battle of the Wilderness. Three days
after the engagement he was given a new brigade, consisting of the
First Massachusetts, Third and Fifth Michigan and Fourth Wis-
consin Regiments. These were known as the Second Brigade, Third
Division, Second Army Corps, and in command General Tannatt
took part in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, North Anna,
Spottsylvania Courthouse, Plank Road and several others. On the
14th of June, 1865, he was wounded in the battle of Petersburg, was
sent to a hospital and later sent home. While he was convalescing,
the war closed and he sent his resignation to Washington. His had
been a splendid military record, both before and through the period
of the war, and he was well entitled to release from further service.

In 1866 General Tannatt went to Colorado and engaged in mak-
ing reports concerning mines for New York parties, which resulted
in his return to the eastern metropolis and entering upon a three
years' contract with six New York companies to act as resident en-
gineer and general manager of their mines. He continued in that
connection for five years, when his health failed and he returned to
Massachusetts. Later he went to Tennessee, where he leased a state
railroad thirty-five miles long and engaged in constructing thirty-
five miles additional. When that was completed he returned to
Massachusetts, where he met Henry Villard and in the fall of 1877
came to the Pacific coast as Mr. Villard's confidential man. After
seven months he returned to New York, where he continued with
Mr. Villard for a year and then again came to the Pacific coast,
where he invested in one hundred and fifty thousand acres of land
for eastern capitalists. Some of this was purchased from the North-
ern Pacific in Whitman county. He also invested at Seattle and
likewise purchased large tracts of land in the Grand Ronde valley
of Oregon. General Tannatt was representing a company of which
Mr. Villard was the head and which built and still owns the lines of
the Oregon Railway & Navigation Company. All this land was con-
trolled under the company name of the Oregon Improvement Com-
pany, with General Tannatt as manager and agent for eleven years.
He then resigned his position to give his attention to fruit-raising
at Farmington, having eighty-one acres in trees. He continued to
develop and improve that property until 1907, when he retired, hav-
ing the year previously purchased a home in Spokane, and in 1909
he sold his land at Farmington.

164 gjwmag ^fobbing gEannatt

General Tannatt was the organizer and for four years the presi-
dent of the East Washington Horticultural Society and for six years
was regent at the Washington State Agricultural College. He owns
considerable stock in the Trustee Company of Spokane and has at-
tractive investments which return to him a good income.

At Manchester, Massachusetts, April 17, 1860, General Tannatt
was married to Miss Elizabeth F. Tappan, a daughter of Colonel
Eben and Sally Tappan. Their two children are: Eben T., an
engineer by profession, who has an office in the Empire State build-
ing; and Miriam, the wife of Dr. C. K. Merriam. General Tannatt
and his family are prominent socially and are well known on the
Pacific coast. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Repub-
lic and in 1886-7 was commander of the Loyal Legion of Oregon.
He was for two consecutive years mayor of Walla Walla. He also
holds membership with the Knights of Pythias and is a member of
All Saints Cathedral. He is today one of the eight oldest living
graduates of West Point. His has been indeed an eventful career,
in which many exciting and interesting incidents and events have oc-
cured. Since the war his efforts have been an important factor in
the development and progress of the northwest, the value of his serv-
ice being recognized by all who know aught of the history of this
section of the country.

t*rr7 l yx/si

Sarrp & Jfflartm, JH 9.

}N A thorough preparatory course and later in post-
graduate work, Dr. Harry S. Martin laid the foun-
dation for the success and progress which he has at-
tained as a practitioner of medicine and surgery.
For fourteen years he has followed his profession in
Spokane, at all times keeping in touch with the ad-
vancement that is being made by those who are regarded as leaders
in this field. He was born, April 30, 1856, in the city of Guelph, On-
tario, his parents being Peter S. and Elizabeth (Hall) Martin, both
of whom were natives of England. The father's birth occurred in
Nottinghamshire, while the mother was a native of Berkshire. She
was descended from one of the old families of central England but
Peter S. Martin represented a family that came originally from
Normandy with William the Conqueror, at which time the name was
spelled Martyne. Peter Martin was a farmer and stockman and in
the year 1851 crossed the Atlantic in a sailing vessel to Canada,
where he carried on general agricultural pursuits and also took a
somewhat active part in public affairs, serving as councilman and
registrar of Wellington county. He died in 1888, while his wife
passed away in 1893. The two brothers of Dr. Martin are: Frank
M., M. D., who is a graduate of Toronto University and now resides
at Dundalk, Ontario; and George Martin, who is managing a farm
at Valleyford, Washington. He wedded Mary Gerrie, two of whose
brothers married daughters of the Martin family. The three sisters
of Dr. Martin are : Ada, the wife of James McKee, who is engaged
in the real-estate business in Vancouver, British Columbia, their
daughter, Mrs. Hindley, being now the wife of Spokane's mayor;
Emma, the wife of the Rev. Andrew Gerrie, residing in Torrington,
Connecticut; and Martha, the wife of Rev. John P. Gerrie, who is
now editing a newspaper at Stratford, Ontario.

Dr. Martin devoted his youthful days largely to the acquirement
of an education, attending the high school at Fergus and at Mount
Forest, Ontario, and later the Ottawa Normal School. His medical
education was obtained in Victoria University at Toronto, Ontario,
where he won his professional degree. His first appointment was that


168 %art? g>. jflarttn, JH. B.

of resident physician in the Toronto General Hospital and subse-
quently he embarked upon an independent practice near Guelph,
Ontario, where he remained for eleven years. He next went to
Chicago, where he spent nine months in pursuing post-graduate work
in the Northwestern and Rush Medical Colleges and in a post-grad-
uate school of medicine on Dearborn street. In May, 1897, he ar-
rived in Spokane and in July of the same year took the state board
medical examination, after which he at once entered upon active
practice, in which he has since continued. He is ever careful in the
diagnosis of cases and his judgment is sound and reliable. His work
has commanded the respect of his professional brethren, who appre-
ciate his close conformity to a high standard of professional ethics
and the ability which he displays in the administration of remedial
agencies. He is now secretary of the staff of the Sacred Heart Hos-
pital, which is the pride of Spokane, and has occupied the position
for several years. He was also the first city bacteriologist of Spo-
kane, instituting the movement for the establishment of the depart-
ment and made a fine record as the incumbent thereof.

On the 24th of June, 1886, occurred the marriage of Dr. Martin
and Miss Margaret L. Brown, a daughter of Dr. M. J. Brown, of
Detroit, Michigan, now deceased. Her father was a cousin of
Frances Folsom, who became the wife of Grover Cleveland. He be-
longed to a well known old family and was distinguished for his ser-
vice in the Union army. Dr. and Mrs. Martin have two sons:
Douglas Ewart, nineteen years of age, now attending Whitman Col-
lege; and Frank McPherson, eight years of age, attending the pub-
lic schools.

Dr. Martin is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and is
interested in all its plans and movements for the development of the
city, the exploitation of its resources and for the promotion of its
material interests. His political support is given to the republican
party and he is identified with many fraternal organizations, includ-
ing the Masonic, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the An-
cient Order of United Workmen, the Knights of Pythias, the Wood-
men of the World and the Canadian Order of Foresters. He has
been a noble grand in the Odd Fellows lodge, a master workman of
the Workman's lodge, and medical examiner of the Woodmen of
the World. In more strictly social lines he is also well known as a
member of the Spokane Club and the Country Club and as a life
member of the Spokane Athletic Club. He is an enthusiastic mem-
ber and one of the directors of the Young Men's Christian Associa-

^arrp §». ifflartin, 4H. jB.

tion and for several years served on the finance committee during
the time the present building was erected. His life has been an ex-
pression of many notable principles and he is well known as an ex-
emplary representative of the various societies to which he belongs
and which have their root in beneficent purpose. In his professional
service he has ever held to high ideals. With him sound judgment
has never been sacrificed to hasty opinion and while he manifests a
progressive spirit in adopting new ideas and improvements, he has
never been quick to discard old and time tried methods which have had
their root in long experience and bear the sanction of sound judg-


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 11 12 13 14 15 16

Online LibraryNorth Carolina. Property Tax System Study CommitteSpokane and the Spokane country : pictorial and biographical : deluxe supplement (Volume 1) → online text (page 9 of 16)