Oberlin College.

Quinquennial catalogue of officers and graduates (Volume yr. 1905) online

. (page 1 of 27)
Online LibraryOberlin CollegeQuinquennial catalogue of officers and graduates (Volume yr. 1905) → online text (page 1 of 27)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


» »♦






"-H'*'



l-^.-K




GENEALOGY
977.1 OS
OBEOBD
1905



REYNOLDS H<<=^TORICAL
OENEALOGY COLLECTION



:ldUicU U^O.HiS AUG I W5




l^arbarti CoUrsr ILibraru



Oi-^yy\X^. t



i-



JA



ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY




3 1833 00214 4068



GENEALOGY
977. loe
0B20BD
1905



*



Digitized by tine Internet Archive

in 2010 witii funding from

Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center



^ ^



http://www.archive.org/details/quinquennialcata1905ober



4-M^-v4-



BULLETIN OP OBERLIN COLLEGE
NEW SERIES NO. 15



QUINQUENNIAL CATALOGUE

OF

OBERLIN COLLEGE

1905



O

cs








»




V


5




<Q






(D


•^




>.


(D




^


W




1*^






W


>-.




C


a




•H


n




^y


a




4*


o




-=5




[


U






(D




i^


n




•H


si




D2


ha




Jh







(^







a>


:a




R








QUINQUENNIAL CATALOGUE OF

OFFICERS AND GRADUATES

OF OBERLIN COLLEGE







PUBLISHED BY THE COLLEGE
OBERLIN, OHIO, MARCH 3 1, I905










JUN B .190



.^ef?jDGE, ^^^^



'X







180B319



CONTENTS

PAGE

Prefatory Note 5

Historical Summary 7

Professorships and Buildings 13

Professorships 15

Buildings 17

Officers of Goveiinment and Administratton 21

Presidents 23

Trustees . 23

Alembers of Prudential CommiUcc 26

Treasurers 27

Financial Secretaries 28

Secretary 28

Assistant to the President 28

Members of Woman's Board of Managers 28

Principals, Woman's Department 29

Deans, Woman's Department 30

Assistant Principals, Woman's Department 30

Assistant Deans, Woman's Department 30

Men's Gymnasium 30

Women's Gymnasium 31

Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds 31

The Museum 31

Living Endowment Union 31

Library 31

Office Assistants 32

The College Department ;i^

Administration 33

Teachers 33



CONTENTS— (Continued)

PAGE

The Theological Seminary 41

Slavic Department 43

The Academy 44

Administration 44

Teachers 44

The Conservatory of Mush; 50

Administration 50

Teachers 50

The Teachers' Course in Physical Training 54

The School of Art 55

Graduates 57

Graduates of the College 57

Advanced Degrees Conferred upon Graduate Students 215

Graduates of the Theological Seminary 217

Graduates of the Conservatory of Music 251

Graduates of the Teachers' Course in Physical Training 263

Honorary Degrees 269

General Summary 276

Locality Index ^T^

Locality Summary 34^

Alphabetical Index of Graduates 347



PREFATORY NOTE

The Editor desires to make grateful acknowledgment of the
assistance which a large number of the ulumni have given in the
preparation of the material for the Quinquennial Catalogue of
Oberlin College for 1905. Particular acknowledgment is due to
Mr. Luther D. Harkness, who has had immediate charge of the work
of the collection of the reports and the handling of the proofs. A
similar service bj' Mr. Harkness upon the catalogues of 1S95 and
1900 has enabled us to secure a degree of accuracy and completeness
in the 1905 Quinquennial which would otherwise have been impos-
sible.

The inquiries preliminary to the publication of this catalogue
were begun in November, 1904, and have been pushed forward as
rapidly as has been possible. The catalogue is supposed to be ac-
curate for its given date of publication, March 31, 1905, although it
has been possible to insert a few changes of address reported during
the first half of the month of April.

The Quinquennial of 1905 has followed closely the pattern fur-
nished by that of 1900. One change in order has been made, that of
having the Alphabetical Index of Graduates follow the Locality
Index of Living Graduates. The Alphabetical Index is more often
consulted than the Locality Index, and is most convenient for ref-
erence at the back of the catalogue.

The only new features in this edition are the sections entitled
"Historical Summary" and "Professorships and Buildings." It is
hoped that a real gain will be made by placing in the hands of the
officers and alumni, in a form convenient for quick reference, the
really important facts contained in these new sections. The Editor
can not expect that the historical data which have been gathered in
these new sections are free from error. It should, however, be said
that the manuscripts have been submitted to a number of the officers
and teachers of the College for careful scrutiny. Any mistakes
which may be noted, either in dates or in facts, should be reported
immediately to the Editor, in order that succeeding issues may be
entirely accurate.



The Locality Index of Living Graduates, introduced into the
1900 catalogue for the first time, has been of great service to the
alumni. Hereafter the records will be so preserved in the Secre-
tary's office that the similar information will be at all times available
for the use of the alumni.

The asterisk (*) has been used through this catalogue to indi-
cate the decease of the person thus marked.

The Editor desires to emphasize once more that with the rapid
growth in the number of alumni, it is increasingly desirable that
graduates shall promptly inform him of changes in address. This
will insure the regular receipt of all college publications, and will
keep the alumni list accurate.

GEORGE M. JONES, Secretary,

Editor, 1905 Quinquennial.



HISTORICAL SUMMARY



HISTORICAL SUMMARY

183^. Rev. John J. Shipherd, pastor of the Presbyterian Church
of Elyria, O., and his friend, Philo P. Stewart, a former missionary
to the Indians in Mississippi, conceived the idea of founding an
institution of learning, combining various grades and departments,
lor the careful education of their own children and those of their
neighbors, and also to train teachers and Christian workers. The
design of the Institution, as recorded in its first catalogue (1834),
was "the diffusion of useful science, sound morality, and pure re-
ligion, among the growing multitudes of the Mississippi Valley."
These two men secured from Messrs. Street and Hughes, of New
Haven, Conn., a provisional pledge of a tract of forest land, five
hundred acres in extent, in Russia Township, in Lorain County,
Ohio. In November, 1832, they came to this tract to select a site for
a Christian Colony which should be the environment of a Christian
school.

/(?jj, April ig. Arrival of the first colonist, Peter P. Pease.

1833, December 3. The work of the institution began with an
attendance of thirty-four students. The plan of work included pre-
paratory, collegiate, and theological departments. The Manual Labor
department was considered by the founders indispensable in any
complete educational plan.

1S33, December 8. First college building completed, "Oberlin
Hall."

1834, February 28. A charter was issued by the Legislature of
the State of Ohio to the "Oberlin Collegiate Institute," a title re-
tained until 1850. It should be remembered, however, that the
change in 1850 was a change in name only, and not in the grade of
instruction. The institution began to do College work in 1834.

1834, March 10. First meeting of the Board of Trustees.

1834, April 2. First Congregational Church organized.

1834, October. The first class in the College department was
organized.

183s, January i. Rev. Asa Mahan elected President, a position
which he held until his resignation August 28, 1850.



TO OBERLIN COLLEGE

1835, February 9. Decision by the Board of Trustees to admit
students "irrespective of color."

1^35) May. Organization of work in the Theological depart-
ment. Arrival of many theological students from Lane Seminary,
of Cincinnati ; also of a number of college students from Western
Reserve College at Hudson.

183s, July 5-8. Inauguration of President Mahan, Professor
Finney, and Professor Morgan.

1833, July. By the end of the second school year, in July, 1835,
the institution was fully organized in all its departments, with a
total attendance of two hundred and seventy-seven students — thirty-
five in theological classes, thirty-eight in college classes, two hun-
dred and four in preparatory classes.

1837, September. Four young v^'omen were enrolled as Fresh-
men in the regular College course. Three of these were graduated
in August, 1841, and were the first young women who received de-
grees in the Arts in this country.

1839. At a time of extreme financial need, Messrs. John Keep
and William Dawes were sent upon a financial mission to England.
They secured much apparatus, many books for the Library, and
$30,000 in cash.

1846. The village of Oberlin was incorporated.
• 1850, March 21. By act of the Legislature of the State of Ohio,
the name of the institution was changed from "Oberlin Collegiate
Institute" to "Oberlin College."

1S51, August 25. Rev. Charles Grandison Finney v;as elected
President of Oberlin College, a position which he held until his
resignation, August 19, 1865.

1851. "Scholarships" sold brought to the College about $95,000
for endowment purposes. The immediate result of the scholarship
system was the doubling of the number of students, there being an
advance in a single year from 570 to 1,020, an increase maintained
ever afterward, with the exception of a few years during the Civil
War.

183S, Septonber 13. The Oberlin-Wellington Rescue Case.

i860, May 3. Organization of Second Congregational Church.

1861, April 20. Enlistment of Company C, Seventh Regiment,
O. V. L, composed of students from Oberlin College, followed by
other companies from the vicinity. No less than eight hundred and
fifty Oberlin students and graduates fought in the war for the Union.



QUINQUENNIAL CATALOGUE II

1866, June 26. Rev. James Harris Fairchild was elected Pres-
ident of Oberlin College, a position which he held until his resigna-
tion, June 24, 1889.

186'^, August 26. The Oberlin Conservatory of Music, organ-
ized in 1865 as a private school, was brought into connection with
the College as one of its departments.

1871, November 75. The third meeting of the National Congre-
gational Council was held in Oberlin beginning November isth. In
connection with this meeting of the National Council, the corner-
stone of Council Hall, the home of the Theological department, was
laid.

187?. It was voted that the long vacation in the College year,
formerly occurring in the winter, should hereafter come in t'le sum-
mer.

1878, June 8. The number of trustees of the College was in-
creased to twenty-four, four to be chosen each year to serve for six
years, one of the four to be elected upon the nomination of the
alumni.

1883, June 2g — July 4. Celebration of the Semi-Centennial of
Oberlin College.

1891, January 28. Rev. William Gay Ballantine was elected
President of Oberlin College, a position which he held until his
resignation, June 22, 1896.

1898, NoTcniher 2g. Rev. John Henry Barrows was elected
President of Oberlin College, a position which he held until his
death, June 3, 1902.

iSgg, March 8. A Teachers' Course in Physical Training was
established, succeedmg a similar course which had been in existence
for several years with somewhat lower entrance requirements. The
Teachers' Course was open at first to women only, but was reorgjn-
ized in 1904 to include both men and women.

1900, June. Alumni Reunion. In connection with this reunion,
pledges were made for general endowment for the College to the
extent of $72,000. There were also received Scholarship foundations
and other special gifts, to the extent of $10,000.

1901, March 6. It was voted by the Board of Trustees that
hereafter the degree of Bachelor of Arts (A. B.) be the only de-
gree granted to those who complete the required courses in the
College Department.

1901, December 31. Completion of the Half Million Endow-



12 OBERLIN COLLEGE

ment Fund. On January ii, 1901, Mr. John D. Rockefeller offered
to the College the sum of $200,000, on the condition that an addi-
tional $300,000 be raised for endowment purposes by December 31,
1901. A general canvass was made among the friends of the Col-
lege and the alumni, and the fund was completed at 5 :30 o'clock
in the afternoon of December 31. The number of contributors to
this fund was 539.

1903, November 19. Rev. Henry Churchill King was elected
President of Oberlin College. His inauguration as President oc-
curred May 13, 1903.

1903, February 5. The Board of Trustees voted to undertake
to raise a new Half Million Fund, towards which an anonymous
donor in Boston, Mass., had made a provisional offer of $100,000.

1903, May 14. Dedication of the Memorial Arch, erected in
honor of certain missionaries of the American Board, many of whom
were Oberlin graduates, who sufifered martyrdom in the Boxer Up-
rising in China in 1900.

1903, June 22 Voted, to require hereafter that graduates of
the Conservatory of Music shall have satisfied the admission re-
quirements of the College department. In view of this action, a
degree in music, that of Bachelor of Music (Mus. B.), will be
granted to the graduates of the Conservatoi-y of Music.

1904, January 18. Gift of the Olney Art Collection, conserva-
tively valued at $200,000, by bequest of Mr. and Mrs. Charles F.
Olney, of Cleveland, O.



PROFESSORSHIPS AND BUILDINGS



PROFESSORSHIPS AND BUILDINGS

PROFESSORSHIPS

The list which follows contains the names (arranged alphabet-
ically) of the foundations for the payment of the salaries of pro-
fessors in Oberlin College, together with the amounts of the founda-
tions, the dates upon which the College received the gifts and the
Chairs to which the professorships are at present assigned. In
cases where the professorships were established by a series of gifts
the dates shown are those of the last payments. The amounts are as
given by the Treasurer of the College at the end of the last college
year, August 31, 1904.

Avery Professorship. $25,000. February 22, 1867. By the Ex-
ecutors of the estate of Rev. Charles Avery, of Pittsburg, Pa. Chair
of Greek Literature and Archaeology.

Brooks Professorship. $30,000. Completed January 22, 1895.
By Garry Brooks, of Fairport, N. Y. Chair of History.

James F. Clark Professorship. $23,000. March 7, 1884. By be-
quest of James F. Clark, of Cleveland, O. Chair of Mathematics.

Dascomh Professorship. $19,634.41. Net proceeds of an endow-
ment canvass in the year 1879. Chair of Geology and Zoology.

Dickinson Foundation. $38,000. Completed August 29, 1893.
By bequest of Julia A. Dickinson. Foundation for the chairs of the
Dean of Women and the Director of the Women's Gymnasium.

Fairchild Professorship. $31,429. 41. Net proceeds of an en-
dowment canvass, largely among the alumni, in the year 1888. Chair
of Theology.

Finney Professorship. $21,371.10. Net proceeds of an endow-
ment canvass, about the year 1877. Chair of the Harmony of
Science and Revelation.

Graves Professorship. $30,000. Completed April 21, 1882. By
the Graves family, of Morristown, N. J. Chair of Latin Language
and Literature.

Holbrook Professorship. $25,000. Completed October 5, 1881.
By Miss Mary W. Holbrook, of Holbrook, Mass. Chair of Sacred
Rhetoric and Practical Theology.



l6 OBERLIN COLLEGE

Frcdrika Bremer Hull Professorship of Modern Languages.
$55,881.37. April 17, iS8g. By bequest of Charles J. Hull, of
Chicago, 111. Chairs of German and French.

Mrs. A. A. F. Johnston Professorship. $12,039.23. Incomplete.
Proceeds, to date, of a canvass begun in 1898. Chair of Mediaeval
History.

Michigan Professorship. $21,707. Net proceeds of an endow-
ment canvass made in the years 1881 and 1882. Chair of Church
History.

Monroe Professorship. $23,748.25. Net proceeds of endow-
ment canvass in the years 1881 and 1882. Chair of Economics and
Sociology.

Morgan Professorship. $8,935.84. Net proceeds of endowment
canvass about the year 1875. Chair of New Testament Language
and Literature.

Osborn Foundation. $38,500. Completed March 16, 1904. By
bequest of William E. Osborn, of Pittsburg, Pa. Foundation for
the President's Chair.

Perkins Professorship. $20,000. Completed December 31, 1885.
By Joseph Perkins, of Cleveland, O. Chair of Physiology and
Physical Training.

Fenelon B. Rice Professorship. $30,419.50. Established in 1901,
by the transfer of $20,000 from the surplus funds of the Conserva-
tory of Music, and by sundry additional subscriptions. Founda-
tion for the Chair of the Director of the Conservatory.

L. H. Severance Professorship. $40,000. January 3, 1902. By
L. H. Severance, of New York City. Chair of Chemistry and Min-
eralogy.

Stone Professorship. $50,000. October 1, 1880. By Mrs.
Valeria G. Stone, of Maiden, Mass. Chair of Philosophy and Psy-
chology.



The above Professorship foundations amount to $546,666.11.
Other gifts for endowment have been received amounting to $691,-
752.02, making the total endowment funds in the possession of the
College, August 31, 1904, $1,238,418.13.



QUINQUENNIAL CATALOGUE 17

OBERLIN BUILDINGS

1833. Obcrlin Hall. Erected 1833. Cost, $5,000, half of which
was paid by the colonists. Sole building for a year and a half.

1835. Ladies' Hall (iirst). Erected summer 1834. Completed
autumn 1S35. Dormitory for women. Used for about thirty years.

1835. Walton Hall. Erected 1835, by the Church of Walton,
N. Y. Dormitory for men. Destroyed by fire, 1864.

1835. Cincinnati Hall. Sometimes known as "Slab" Hall
Erected spring 1835, to provide accommodations for the students
who came from Lane Seminary. After 1836 used as a shop and
soon torn down.

1S33. Finney House. For many years a private residence.
Used from 1891 to 1904 for laboratory purposes for the Depart-
ment of Botany. Torn down winter 1905, to provide a site for the
new Finney Memorial Chapel.

1836. Colonial Hall. Erected autumn 1835. Completed sum-
mer 1836. Recitation buiWing, also used for religious services.
Named "Colonial" because the colonists furnished most of the money
for its construction. In use until 1855.

1836. Tappan Hall. Erected fall 1835. Completed 1836. Dor-
mitory for Men, and recitation building. Named in honor of Mr.
Arthur Tappan, of New York City, who also gave $10,000 for its
construction. In use until 1885.

1838. Old Chemical Laboratory. Erected 1838. Removed in
the year 1882.

1839. Keep Home. Erected 1839. For many years a private
residence. Donated to the College January 4, 1889, by Theodore J.
and Mary A. Keep. A dormitory for Women.

1842. Music Hall. Erected 1842. Subsequently used as a gym-
nasium for women. Destroyed by fire in 1880.

1843. Oberlin First Church. Erected 1842. Completed 1843.
Cost, $12,000. Used for religious services, College Commencement
exercises, and town meetings.

1S32. Cabinet Hall. Originally built for the Public Schools.
Built 1851, opened 1852. Purchased by the College in 1874. Used
for recitations and for laboratory purposes until 1901, when it was
torn down.

1833. College Chapel. Erected 1854. Completed 1855. Cost,
$10,500. Enlarged 1883 and 1P87. College Chapel and offices of ad-
ministration. Destroyed by fire January 26, 1903.

1853. Lincoln House. For many years a private residence.



l8 OBERLIN COLLEGE

Used since the summer of 1904 for laboratory purposes for the De-
partment of Botany.

1865. Ladies' Hall (second). Erected 1861. Completed 1865.
Cost about $40,000. Erected by gifts from the alumni for the pur-
pose. Destroyed by fire January, 1886.

1868. French Hall. Erected 1867. Completed 1868. Recitation
building. Named in honor of Mr. Charles French, of Cleveland,
O., who gave $5,000 for its construction.

1868. Society Hall. Erected 1867. Completed 1868. Recitation
building. Also rooms for literary societies. Headquarters for the
Department of Drawing and Painting.

1870. Soldiers' Monument. Erected 1870. Contains the names
of ninety-six soldiers from Oberlin who fell in the war for the
Union. Cost, $5,000.

1874. Council Hall. Corner stone laid, November 18, 1871.
Dedicated, August i, 1874. Cost, $67,000, of which amount $20,000
was subscribed in Oberlin, the rest being received from many gifts
for the purpose. Home of the Theological Seminary. Also dor-
mitory for men.

1881. Women's Gymnasium. Erected 1881. Cost about $8,000.

188 1. Stezvart Hall. For many years a private residence. Pur-
chased by the College March 10, 1881. Named in honor of one of
the founders of the College. Dormitory for Women.

1884. Sturges Hall. Erection commenced fall 1882. Completed
1884. Cost about $13,000. Named in honor of Miss Susan M.
Sturges, of Mansfield, O., who gave $5,000 for its construction.
Headquarters for the Women's Department, with rooms for the
women's literary societies.

1884. Warner Hall. Ground broken November 10, 1883. Cor-
ner stone laid, January 23, 1884. Dedicated, December 20, 1884.
Total cost, including important additions which have since been
made, about $125,000. Named in honor of its donors. Dr. and Mrs.
Lucien C. Warner, of New York City. Home of the Conservatory
of Music.

1883. Spear Library. Corner-stone laid October 6, 1884. Ded-
icated, November 2, 1885. Cost about $30,000. Named in honor of
the donor. Rev. Charles V. Spear, of Pittsfield, Mass., who also pro-
vided an endowment fund of $11,000 for the purchase of books.

1887. Peters Hall. Ground broken, spring 1885. Dedicated,
January 26, 1887. Cost about $75,000. This building was made pos-



QUINQUENNIAL CATALOGUE ig

sible by the gifts of $20,000 from C^iptain Alva Bradley, of Cleve-
land, O., and of $50,000 from Mr. R. G. Peters, of Manistee, Mich.
Headquarters of the College Department; recitation rooms; Physical
Laboratory. Also rooms for the men's literary societies. The
auditorium on the third floor, known as "Bradley Auditorium,"
contains the Museum and Science Collections of the College.

1887. Talcott Hall. Ground broken August, 1886. Completed
1887. Cost, including furniture, $65,000. Named in honor of Mr.
James Talcott, of Nev/ York City, who gave $20,000 for its construc-
tion. The money received from the insurance from the former
Ladies' Hall was also used in the construction of Talcott Hall.
Dormitory for women.

1887. Baldivin Cottage. Erected 1886. Opened spring 1887.
Cost, including furniture, $40,000. Named in honor of Mr. E. L
Baldvv'in, of Cleveland, O., who gave $20,000 for its construction.
Dormitory for women.

1892. Lord Cottage. Erected 1891. Completed 1892. Cost,
$17,300. Named in honor of Mrs. E. W. R. Lord, who gave $10,000
for its construction. Dormitory for women.

1895. The Skati'ig Floor. Erected 1805. The gift of Mr. John
D. Rockefeller. Auxiliary to Women's Gymnasium.

1901. Severance Chemical Laboratory. Ground broken October,
1899. Corner-stone laid, May 31, 1900. Completed spring 1901.
Dedication, September 26, 1901. Cost, $69,500. Named in honor of
its donor, Mr. Louis H. Severance, of New York City.

790/. Warner Gymnasium. Ground broken, August, 1900.
Completed fall 1901. Cost, $45,000. Named in honor of its donors.
Dr. and Mrs. Lucien C. Warner, of New York City. Gymnasium
for men.

1903. Memorial Arch. Corner-stone laid October, 1902. Dedi-
cated, May 14, 1903. Cost, $20,720. Of this amount $20,000 was con-
tributed by Mr. D. Willis James, of New York City.

Prospective Buildings

Finney Memorial Chapel. The gift of Mr. Frederick N. Finney,
of St. Louis, Mo., in memory of his father. President Charles G.
Finney. Estimated cost, $95,000. Construction to be commenced in
the summer of 1905.

Carnegie Library. The gift of Mr. Andrew Carnegie, of New
York City. Estimated cost, $125,000. Construction to be com-
menced as soon as an endowment of $100,000 can be secured to meet
the condition of Mr. Carnegie's pledge.



OFFICERS OF GOVERNMENT AND
ADMINISTRATION



OFFICERS OF GOVERNMENT AND
ADMINISTRATION

*

PRESIDENTS
From To

183s *Asa Mahan 1850

185 1 *Charles Grandison Finney 1865

1866 *James Harris Fairchild 1889

1891 William Gay Ballantine 1896

1899 *John Henri' Barrows (died) 1902

1902 Henry Churchill King

TRUSTEES

1834 *John J. Shipherd . (died) 1844

1834 *Hon. Henry Brown 1834

1834 *John Keys 1839

1834 *Philo P. Stewart 1839

1834 *Peter P. Pease (died) 1861

1834 *Eliphalet Redington 1835

1834 *Joel Talcott 1837

1834 *Addison Tracy 1840

1834 *Jabez L. Burrell 1841

1834 *Nathan P. Fletcher 1836

1834 *John Keep (died) 1870

1834 *Hon. Frederick Hamlin 1836

1835 *Asa Mahan, ex-oMcio 1850

183s *Owen Brown 1844

1836 *Levi Beebe (died) 1839

1836 *Alexander Seymour 1837

1836 *Riverius Bidwell 1839

1837 *William Hosford 1845

1837 *Lewis H. Loss 1842

1839 *William Dawes 1851

1839 *Isaac Jennings 1855



Online LibraryOberlin CollegeQuinquennial catalogue of officers and graduates (Volume yr. 1905) → online text (page 1 of 27)