Copyright
Oscar Jewell Harvey.

A history of Wilkes-Barré, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania : from its first beginnings to the present time, including chapters of newly-discovered early Wyoming Valley history, together with many biographical sketches and much genealogical material (Volume v.6) online

. (page 1 of 117)
Online LibraryOscar Jewell HarveyA history of Wilkes-Barré, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania : from its first beginnings to the present time, including chapters of newly-discovered early Wyoming Valley history, together with many biographical sketches and much genealogical material (Volume v.6) → online text (page 1 of 117)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


UNIVERSITY
OF PITTSBURGH









LIBRARY



Digitized by the Internet Archive

in 2009 with funding from

University of Pittsburgh Library System



http://www.archive.org/details/historyofwilkesb06harv



A HISTORY OF
WILKES-BARRE



LUZERNE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

FROM ITS FIRST BEGINNINGS TO THE PRESENT TIME; INCLUDING
CHAPTERS OF NEWLY-DISCOVERED

EARLY WYOMING VALLEY HISTORY

TOGETHER WITH MANY BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES AND MUCH
GENEALOGICAL MATERIAL

BEGUN BY

OSCAR JEWELL HARVEY, A. M.

Author of "A History of Lodge No. 61, F. & A. M ","The Harvey Book",
"A History of Irem Temple", Etc.

AND COMPLETED BY

ERNEST GRAY SMITH, M. S., LL. B.

President and Editor of the Wiukes-Barre Times-Leader



Illustrated With Many Portraits, Maps, Facsimiles, Original
Drawings and Contemporary Views




VOLUME VI

BIOGRAPHICAL

wiIkes-rarre, pa.

1930



V.C



-o



k





/^<f^ L/^Pe.,-,,^..^^



373



LAURENCE W. BEVAN— One of the very suc-
cessful business and professional men of Wilkes-Barre
is Laurence W. Bevan, vice-president and general man-
ager of the Hazard Wire Rope Company, of Wilkes-
Barre. Mr. Bevan was identified with the former Hazard
Manufacturing Company from March, igij, to the time
of its reorganization in 1927. He took charge as engineer
of tests for the company, and since 1925 filled the respon-
sible official and executive positions of vice-president and
general manager. He-is a graduate of the Pennsylvania
State College, and was formerly in the employ of the
Carnegie Steel Company.

Rev. I. L. Bevan, father of Mr. Bevan, is of Welsh
ancestry, a descendant of forebears who came from
Wales to this country about a century ago. He is a
minister of the Christian and Missionary Alliance of
America, a man of ability and of tine Christian char-
acter. He married Alice Foster, and they make their
home in West Pittston, Pennsylvania. They are the par-
ents of four children: Robert C, who is a salesman in
the employ of the Hazard Wire Rope Company; Paul
T., a salesman in the employ of the H. B. Schooley and
Company, of Wilkes-Barre; Kenneth F., who is associ-
ated with the Matheuson Automobile Company, at Forty
Fort, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania; and Laurence W.,
of further mention.

Laurence W. Bevan, son of Rev. L L. and Alice
(Foster) Bevan, was born in West Pittston, Luzerne
County, Pennsylvania, November 2, 1889, and spent his
early boyhood in his birthplace, attending the local pub-
lic schools and then continuing his study in Wyoming
Seminary, at Kingston, Pennsylvania, where he completed
his course with graduation in 1908. He then matriculated
in the Pennsylvania State College, from which he was
giaduated in 1912 with the degree of Bachelor of Science.
After graduation he went out to Voungstown. Ohio,
where he was for a time associated with the Carnegie
Steel Company. In March, 1Q13, he returned to this
State and located in Wilkes-Barre, where he took charge
as engineer of tests for the Hazard Manufacturing
Company. Here he remained, giving faithful and very
efficient service, and in 1925 he was made general man-
ager of the business. In 1927 he was made vice-president
and general manager, and since reorganization of the
company he retained the two positions as well as director
with the Hazard Wire Rope Company. Mr, Bevan gives
his support to the Republican party. Fraternally, he is
identified with Kingston Lodge, No. 395, Free and .Ac-
cepted Masons. He is a memlier of the American Insti-
tute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers, and is well
knOwn among his professional associates. He is a director
of the Luzerne County Branch of the Pennsvlvania Man-
ufacturers Association: trustee of the Hahnemann Hos-
pital, Wilkes-Barre: director of the Wilkes-Barre Cham-
ber of Commerce: and in June, 1929, he was elected
vice-president of the Pennsylvania State .Alumni .Associa-
tion. He is a member of the Rotary Club, the West-
moreland Club, the Franklin Club, and of the college
fraternity. Beta Theta Pi, and he is a Protestant in his
religious faith.

Laurence W. Bevan married. September 10. 1913.
Helen G. Biehl, of Plymouth, Luzerne County, daughter
of Dr. JefTerson P. and Carrie (Davenport) Biehl, the
father a well-known physician of Plymouth, and the
mother, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Bevan have two sons :
Laurence W.. Jr., and Robert Davenport. The family
home is located at Dallas, Pennsylvania.

ANTHONY J. RUDDY— A business man of abil-
ity and long experience, Anthony J. Ruddy has made
his home in Hudson, Pennsylvania, for manv years. As
proprietor of the A. J. Ruddy general store,' he provides
for the needs of the community in a very efficient way,
while in the various other phases of local activity, he
has played a prominent part.

Mr. Ruddy was born in Ireland, April 8. 1858. a son
of Patrick Ruddy, who was born in Ireland, and died
in 1899, and of Mary Ruddy, also a native of Ireland,
who died in 1910. He came with his parents to the
United States in May, 1864. Being denied the advan-
tages of a finished education, at the age of nine he
began work in a coal breaker in Hudson, which he
continued for a period of twelve years, from 1867 to
1879. At the end of that time he entered the grocery
business as a clerk in a local store, but after only two
years, in i88i, he established the firm of Rcilley and
Ruddy, in association with Mr. Reilley. and together they
operated a general store until the year 1900. when Mr.
Ruddy disposed of his interest in the venture. In the
same year, at No. 2 Miner Street, he established his



own general store, which was immediately successful. In
the course of the years since that time, Mr. Ruddy's
efforts resulted in a large volume of business as the
general excellence of his service and products gained
wider recDgnition. In addition to this work, Mr. Ruddy
is a director and vice-president of the Citizens' Bank,
of Parsons, in which institution he was one of the origi-
nal stockholders.

Politically, Mr. Ruddy supports the principles and
candidates of the Democratic party, served as a member
of the Plains Township School Board, and as tax col-
lector of the same. He worships in the faith of the
Roman Catholic Church, and for many years has been
a member and a liberal supporter of the church of the
Sacred Heart, at Hudson.

In November, 1880, Anthony J. Ruddy married Mary
Kilker of Hudson, daughter of Patrick and Mary Kilker
of this place. Of this marriage there were five children:
I. Mary, who married George Schroeder. of Wilkes-
Barre. 2. Joseph, a dentist in Wilkes-Barre. 3. Charles,
who is a dentist in Pittston. 4. Anna, a teacher in the
city schools. 5. Gerald, of Hudson. Mrs. Ruddy died
in November, 1913.



GEORGE G. BRADER— A leading figure in real
estate and insurance circles in Luzerne County, (jeorge
G. Brader is one of the most prominent citizens of Nan-
ticoke, taking an active part in the civic affairs of the
community and occupying a high position in its busi-
ness life. Mr. Brader conducts an extensive insurance
business, being agent for approximately twenty different
companies, all of which are the best known and most sub-
stantial organizations in the United States. In addition
to his commercial activities, he takes a deep interest in
business clubs and fraternal organizations, being par-
ticularly devoted to those of the Masonic Order, in which,
for manv years, he has been a loyal and enthusiastic
leader.

Mr. Brader was born in Beach Haven. Luzerne County.
March i. 1868. son of Daniel and Sarah (MacGraw)
Brader. Daniel Brader was born in Northampton
County, son of Henrj' Brader, who Drought his family
10 Luzerne County many years ago. Henry Brader was
engaged during his active career as a mechanic. Daniel
Brader learned the trade of cabinet making and boat
building, and tor a time was engaged in constructing
Ijoats for the canal company which once plied this sec-
tion. He later engaged in the construction business inde-
pendently, acquiring boat yards and building boats on
contract for private parties. In addition to this, he
operated a suc<:essful and complete lumber yard and
planing mill at Beach Haven, in which town he was a
prominent figure, taking an active part in all affairs and
being a leading member of the First Methodist Episco-
pal Church. By his marriage, he had one son. George
G.. of whom further.

George G. Brader was educated in the public schools
of Luzerne Coimty, after which he studied at Wyoming
Seminary. Upon the completion of his education, he
entered the employ of the Wyoming National Bank at
Wilkes-Barre and remained with this important finan-
cial institution until 1906. in the position of correspond-
ing clerk. .At that time, he engaged in his present busi-
ness, taking over the organization which his brother.
J. C. Brader. had established in 1886 and operated until
that time, in Nanticoke. Mr. Brader has ever been suc-
cessful in all his enterprises, having a keen knowledge
of the real estate and insurance trade, with a particularly
expert and accurate judgment of land values and pros-
pects In 1924, he was joined by his son. Norwood H..
■Who handles much of the detail relating to real estate,
with particular attention to city properties. .Although
his success in the financial world attests to his thorough
attention tc business, he finds time to devote to social
and fraternal affairs, and is a leader in Masonic circles,
being a member of Landmark Lodge, No. 442, free
and Accepted Ma.sons, Shekinah Chapter, No. 182 Royal
Arch Masons; Dieu le Veut Commandery, No. 4.->.
Knights Templar, and Past Eminent Commander thereof
also a member of Keystone Consistory, and Ircm Temple.
Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of
Wilkes-Barre. in which he served officially, resigning his
office of Recorder upon his removal to Nanticoke. He
is prominent in the Craftsmen's Club of Nanticoke. the
Press Club of Wilkes-Barre. the Irem Temple Country
Club Luzerne County Insurance Exchange, the Penn-
svlvania State Association of Insurance Agents, and the
State Federation of Insurance Agents. In his religioiis
affiliations, he is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

George G. Brader married December i, 1S92, Elizabeth



374



Atherton, of Kingston, daughter of Thomas R. Ather-
ton. To this union have been born three children: i.
George Atherton : enlisted in the Aviation Service of the
United States in May, 1917, shortly after the declaration
of war against the Central Powers ; trained at Madison
Barracks, New York, and later at the Air Service
Ground School, Ithaca, New York ; going overseas in
October, 1917, he finished his training with the Royal
Air Forces of England and while stationed at Turnberry
Field, Scotland, was killed April 5, 1918, while engaged
in a practice flight, being then twenty-tive years of age.
2. Mary, married Edward Siegel, of Nanticoke, and they
have one child, George Atherton. 3. Norwood H., born
December 23, 1899, was educated in the public schools
of Nanticoke a:id after high school, entered West Chester
Normal School, being attached to the Students' Army
Training Corps, during the World War, and later grad-
uating from the Wyoming Seminary, with the class of
1920; matriculated at Cornell University, receiving his
degree of Mechanical Engineer with the class of 1924;
then became associated with his father in the latter's
business and has ever continued to be a prominent part
oi that organization; married Ruth Howser, of Ithaca,
New York, who died in July, 1926, leaving one son, James
N. Mr. Brader and his family reside on Tilbury Heights,
West Nanticoke.



CHARLES W. MILLER— Having as his only assets
a fund of energy and ambition coupled with an agreeable
peisonality, Charles W. Miller began his business career
in Wilkes-Barre in 1887, when he came to this city and
became associated with J. C. Bright and Company, dealers
in oil. Since that time, he has continued to advance
steadily until today he is one of the city's leading business
men as well as being prominent in all civil affairs and an
active figure in all projects for community welfare.

Mr. Miller was born at Mifflinville, Columbia County,
Pennsylvania, on January 2, 1866, son of George and
Mary (Martz) Miller, both of wiiom were members of
old Pennsylvania families and who are both now de-
ceased. George Miller was born in Columbia County and
was for many years a successful farmer.

Charles W. Miller received his education in the public
schools of Mifflinville, assisting in the farm work while
carrying on his studies, and he later entered Wyoming
Seminary at Kingston. Upon the completion of his
course, he matriculated at the Bloomsburg State Normal
School where he was an apt and diligent student. After
finishing his studies, he accepted a position as bookkeeper
at Weatherley, Pennsylvania, and in 1887, came to
Wilkes-Barre as aforementioned. Through his industry
and ability, he prospered continuously and in 1900, entered
business for himself, during the year purchasing the
business formerly owned by the J. C. Bright and Com-
pany. He has ever since continued in the oil business,
having been connected with this present ■ location for
forty years and is the oldest oil dealer m point of service
in this city. Business increased so that he opened and
iiow operates a branch of his enterprise at the corner of
North Main and North streets. Taking an active interest
in the city's progress, he as a member of the Greater
Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Commerce and as a director
of the Young Men's Christian Association, has ever had
the best interests of the city at heart. In fraternal organi-
zations, he takes a prominent part, being a member of
Landmark Lodge, No. 442, Free and Accepted Masons in
which he is Past Master ; Shekinah Chapter, No. 182,
Royal Arch Masons ; Dieu le Veut Commandery, No. 45,
Knights Templar; Irem Temple, Ancient Arabic Order
Nobles of the Mystic. Shrine, and the Shrine Country
Club. In politics, he has always followed the principles
of the Republican party and in his religious affiliations is
a rnember of the First Methodist Episcopal Church,
having been a trustee for many years.

Charles W. Miller married (first), in September, 1887.
Luella Keller, of Mifflinville, Pennsylvania, daughter of
William and Margaret (Bowman) Keller, and they had
one daughter, Mary, married M. G. Robbins. of Kingston,
and their children are Charles and Melvin. Mrs. Miller
died in September. 1894. ^^- Miller married (second),
in December, 1897. Helen Doron, of this city, daughter
of William E. and Elizabeth (Barnes) Doron, and they
have one daughter. Elizabeth, who married Albert R.
May of this city, and they have a son, A. Robinson Mav,
Jr. Mr. and Mrs. Miller reside at No. 281 North Main
Street, in the home which he built more than thirty one
years ago.

MICHAEL ALEXANDER— For nearly forty years
the residents of Nanticoke have been pleasantly familiar
with the commercial house of Michael Alexander, deal-



ing in dry goods and garments for women. Established
by Micha>?l Alexander in 1889, at Nos. 15 and 17 East
Main' Street, the original location has been found satis-
factory, although they have moved once, merely to cross
the street, even with the growth of the city and the
expansion of their business. The name seems to be
synonymous with the .business section in which it is
located, so firmly have the members of the firm
entrenched themselves in the good will of the trading
populace. Joseph and Herman Alexander today comprise
the firm and both have displayed such deep interest in
the prosperity of the city, in its enterprises, its social,
religious, political and fraternal affairs that they are
held to be citizens of high merit and worthy of all the
good fortune that has attended their industry.

Michael Alexander was born in Germany, emigrating
to America when a young man and locating in Nanti-
coke, where he spent his life as a merchant. His wife
was Minna Meyer, also of German birth, still surviving
him, who died in 1913. She was the mother of nine chil-
dren, Rose, her first born, being the wife of H. Fruden-
thal, a hat manufacturer of New York City. In the
order of their births the others were Max, a manufac-
turer of hats, operating in New York City; Joseph, who
is a partner in the Nanticoke firm of M. Alexander Sons;
Alexander, also a New York hat manufacturer; Leo,
in similar business; Herman, a partner of his brother
Joseph in the Nanticoke firm; Bertha, wife of J. H.
Margolies, of West Chester, Pennsylvania; Hilda, and
Gertrude, wife of W. S. Green, of New York City. In
addition to conducting the dry goods store in Nanti-
coke, Joseph and Herman Alexander own and operate a
hat store for men at No. 2 West Market Street, Wilkes-
Barre, which they founded in 1917.

Joseph Alexander, the elder of the two brothers com-
prising Ihe firm, was born in Germany, August 4, 1880,
was brought to Nanticoke by his parents and educated
rn the public schools here. He entered into association
with his father at the conclusion of his elementary edu-
cation and soon became a partner in the concern. He
continued in that occupation until the death of his father,
then entering into partnership with his brother and con-
tinuing the business. He is a director in the Nanticoke
National Bank and holds membership in Antiquity Lodge,
No. II, Free and Accepted Masons; Caldwell Consis-
tory, of Bloomsbury; Irem Temple, Ancient Arabic
Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine and in the Crafts-
men's Club. He is held to be one of the most progres-
sive citizens of Nanticoke.

Herman Alexander was also born in Germany, in
1886; was brought to Nanticoke by his parents and was
educated in the public schools here. He was taken into
his father's store to learn the business and continued
there until his father's death brought about the change
that made him a partner of his brother, Joseph, in the
business. Hiis popularity is on a plane with that of his
brother, the two being looked upon by their fellow-
citizens as men of substantial character and high worth
to the community. Herman is a member of New York
Lodge, No. 743, Free and Accepted Masons ; of Cald-
well Consistory; Irem Temple, Ancient Arabic Order
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and of the Craftsmen's
Club.



WALTER C. SUTHERLAND— From a very mod-
est beginning, the firm of Sutherland and McMillan,
wholesale grocers and importers, of Pittston, Pennsyl-
vania, has aeveloped into the largest jobbing concern
in Luzerne County. Founded by Walter C. Sutherland
and Charles L. McMillan, more than thirty-six years ago,
the enterprise has been guided by the business ability
of the founders through all these years, and is now
(1928) doir.g a volume of business which aggregates
over a million dollars annually. The firm handles
groceries and feed, specializing in Columbia Flour, and
Fox Hill and Columbia canned goods, their own brands.
Mr. Sutherland is a director of the People's Union Sav-
ings Bank, and has for many years been active in public
affairs in Pittston.

The Sutherland family is one of the old families of
Scotch ancestry, tracing back to William Sutherland, who
came to this country from Scotland. He settled in
Dutchess County, New York, and reared a family there,
the line to Walter C. Sutherland of Pittston, descendirig
through William Jr., son of the immigrant, born in
Dutchess County, New York, in 1690; his son Colonel
David Sutherland, of Dutchess County, born in 1722,
who served as a colonel in the 6th New York State
Militia during the Revolutionary War; his son, Joel,
born August 30, 1755; his son, Brush, born June 5, 1785;



375



his son. Smith, born October 21, 1818 All of the above
were born in Dutchess County, New York.

Smith Sutherland, born in 1818, was educated in,
Gilbertsville Academy. Otsego County, New York, and
served as justice of the peace and as captain of a mili-
tary company in Otsego County. New York, where he
was also a superintendent of schools. In 1850, when he
was alwut thirty-two years of age. he came to Pittston,
Pennsylvania. Here be became a successful merchant, and
continued to follow that line of business activity.- He
was a man of wide interests, active in local affairs, and
a progressive and helpful citizen. A supporter of the
Republican party, and a member of the Universalist
Church he was for more than forty years a substantial
and progressive citizen of Pittston, continuing to be
actively interested in its affairs to the time of his death,
which occurred in 1891, at the age of seventy-three years.
H? married (first) Lucy P. Fuller, and to this marriage
two children, both of whom are deceased were born:
Charles F„ born May 25, 1848. and George H., borp
January 5, 1850. Smith Sutherland married (second)
Laura Stanton, and to this marriage two children were
born: Lucy F., born March 6, 1864, who married Jos-
eph B. Hayes; and Walter C, of further mention.

Walter C. Sutherland, son of Smith and Laura Loomis
(Stanton) Sutherland, was born in Exeter Township,
Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. November 7, 1862, and
received his early education in the public schools of
West Pittston. Later, he was a student in Kingston
Seminary, and before his seminary course he spent one
year in the United States Navy, under Commander
Kobley B. Evans. When his training was completed,
he entered the employ of Githens, Rexsamer and Com-
pany, wholesale grocers of ; Philadelphia, with whom he
remained for a period of ten years, 1882-92, In 1892,
he engaged in the wholesale grocery line in Pittston.
forming a partnership with C. L. McMillan, and through
the years which have passed since that time he has con-
tinued in this business, developing it to the proportions
which place it at the head of jobbing houses in the
county. In 1912. W, A. Hay was admitted as a partner.
but the business continued to operate under the original
name of Sutherland and McMillan. Their operations
cover the Wyoming Valley and part of Lackawanna
County, and the present impressive annual business has
developed from the original annual sale of one hundred
thousand dollars. Six salesmen are kept on the road,
and the firm has a reputation which has been one of its
valuable assets for more than three decades. The estab-
lishment is located at No. 10 Sutherland Place, in Pitts-
ton, and is one of the leading concerns of the city.

Mr. Sutherland is a Republican in politics, and has
always been deeply interested in the general welfare of
West Pittston. serving for seven years as a member of
the West Pittston Council, during which time he was
president of the council for one year. He, is well known
in the Masonic Order, being a member of St, John's
Lodge, No. 233, Free and Accepted Masons ; Pittston
Chapter, No. 242, Royal Arch Masons ; Wyoming Val-
ley Commandery, No, 57, Knights Templar; Irem Temple,
Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He
is also a member of the New England Society, of New
England, and the Pennsylvania Society; of the Sons of
the Revolution, the Wyoming Valley Historical and
Geological Society ; and of numerous clubs, including
the Westmoreland Club, Craftsmen's Qub. Fox Hill
Country Qub. in which he served as treasurer and presi-
dent of the board of governors. His religious affiliation
is with the Presbyterian Church.

Walter C. Sutherland married, April 17, 1889. Grace
Klotz, of West Pittston. Pennsylvania, daughter of
Joseph Klotz, a pioneer settler in Pittston, and they have
three children: i. Martha S,, who married Major S.
K, Mitchell, a member of the firm of P.iddle and Eno,
of Wilkes-Barre. Pennsylvania. 2. Marian S.. who mar-
ried Allen P. Kirby. of Wilkes-Barre. 3. Esther, who
lives at home. Mrs. Sutherland is a member, and actively
interested in the work of the Woman's Club and the
Presbyterian Church. The family residence is at No.
.so Susquehanna Avenue. West Pittston.

CHARLES L, McMILLAN— In the commercial
development of Pittston. Charles L. McMillan lias t.ikcn
a prominent part as member of the wholesale grocery
concern of Sutherland & McMillan, one of this city's
most progressive business establishments, doing busi-
ness over a wide area and expanding steadily and con-
sistently by reason of their efficiency, modern methods
of operation and thorough consideration for their cus-
tomers. Mr. McMillan is thoroughly acquainted with



tliis branch of commerce having been connected with
the grocery business, both retail and wholesale, for the
entire period of his active career. His present partner-
ship with Mr. Sutherland was formed ii) 1892 and it has



Online LibraryOscar Jewell HarveyA history of Wilkes-Barré, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania : from its first beginnings to the present time, including chapters of newly-discovered early Wyoming Valley history, together with many biographical sketches and much genealogical material (Volume v.6) → online text (page 1 of 117)