Copyright
Patrick James Nicholson.

William Ward Watkin and the Rice Institute online

. (page 28 of 31)
Online LibraryPatrick James NicholsonWilliam Ward Watkin and the Rice Institute → online text (page 28 of 31)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


renowned psychologist and authority on hypnosis, put Wyatt into a hypnotic
state during a featured lecture and demonstration. He then took a half-dollar
from his pocket, handing it to a nearby student to prove that it was at room
temperature. Pattie advised O.D. that the coin would be too hot to pick up.
The coin was then spun down a long table. When Professor Pattie did this,
he ordered O.D. to pick it up. The hypnotized subject did so, only to cry out
in pain and drop the half-dollar. On examination, there were fresh blisters on
his index finger and thumb.

Fort Worth, his hometown, honored Lieutenant Wyatt by naming a
postwar high school for him, located near the new Kimbell Art Museum.

1 1 . Charlie Lykes grew up at 12 Remington Lane in Shadyside. He and Bill had
known one another at Kinkaid School. They met again at Camp Pickett,
Virginia, where the 31st Division was undergoing final training before being
shipped out to the South Pacific. On one of their last evenings at Camp
Pickett, they "double dated." Charlie Lykes' date was Mason Mallory,
whom he later married after he returned from overseas. They made their
home in Tampa, Florida.

John Harris Meyers' wife, Alice Baker, and Ray and Rosemary Watkin,
had been childhood friends, first at Kinkaid School. They were also together
as campers one summer at Camp Quinbeck in Vermont. And during World
War II, the three of them were living in Houston, as temporary "war



Chapter Eight 321

widows." These were the years of sharing letters from Bill, John, and
Charlie (through his mother, Mrs. J.M. Lykes), the three Texas friends who
found themselves fighting together in the Dixie Division, halfway around the
world from Houston. The news in their letters, which were few and far
between as the campaigns in the South Pacific intensified, was eagerly
exchanged between the Watkin, Meyers, and Lykes families.

12. Aitape was the key to HoUandia, where the enemy had a major base and
hundreds of planes. When the U.S. invasion of Aitape succeeded, more than
200,000 Japanese troops were sent in waves from Wewak, about 100 miles
to the east, in a series of counterattacks. The counterattacks failed, and were
discontinued in August 1944. This left Hollandia to be overrun and captured
by Douglas MacArthur, who had been promoted to the highest rank of
general of the army. His forces made simultaneous landings just above and
below Hollandia after the destruction of almost 400 enemy planes at the huge
base. The failure of Japanese counterattacks on Aitape from Wewak had
made this victory possible.

13. In the mid-1960s and the beginning of the Vietnam War, interest in the
Archi-Arts Ball began to languish again due to the seriousness of the war. It
was at this time— realizing that the Traveling Scholarship might become a
war casualty— that Professor Watkin 's daughter, Ray, made the decision to
permanently endow the Watkin Traveling Scholarship. It continues to be
awarded annually to the winner of a design competition among the fourth-
year students by the School of Architecture.



EPILOGUE

My 9, 1990

I.

There it stood, in ongoing splendor: Lovett Hall, the Administra-
tion Building of the Rice Institute. Sir Julian Huxley had described it
during the dedicatory ceremonies of October 10-12, 1912, as ". . .
brilliant, astounding, enduring— rising out of the brown prairie."

During more than three quarters of a century, this magnificent
architectural concept of Ralph Adams Cram and his partner Bertram
Grosvenor Goodhue, brought to reality by Cram's personal represen-
tative William Ward Watkin, had come to represent academic excel-
lence at Rice Institute, now the internationally renowned Rice
University. George Will, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author, colum-
nist, and television commentator, summed it all up in his syndicated
column in 1988: "Those who say Rice is Houston's Harvard should
be told that Harvard is the Rice of the Northeast."

Edgar Odell Lovett and his successors in the presidency [1] at Rice
University (the change from the original appellation of Rice Institute
became effective on July 1, 1960), in concert with Captain James A.
Baker and those who followed on the governing board, had led
faculty, staff, and student body to high levels of achievement.

Now, on a blistering hot day in midsummer 1990, Rice University
and its first building received attention from around the world. The
seven chief executives of the Western world [2] were officially
opening the Economic Summit of Industrialized Nations at a plenary
session in the Founder's Room of Lovett Hall. U.S. President George
Bush, once an adjunct professor in Rice's Jesse H. Jones School of
Administration, led the procession of his peers across a red carpet and
through the sally port.

Hundreds of journalists provided worldwide television, radio, and
print coverage during the three days of the Summit. Some of the
television coverage included breathtaking views of the exterior of
Lovett Hall, lit during the evenings by floodlights. The lights brought

322



Epilogue 323

into sharp focus the remarkable details of this stunning masterpiece
of roseate-pink brick, pale gray granite, richly toned marbles, and
colorful tiles.

Among the building's details, which William Ward Watkin had
shown to his students many times during outdoor tours of the
architecture of the campus, was the sculpture work of Oswald Lassig.
The Austrian sculptor had carved the images of the leaders of
academic disciplines in the capitals of the Lovett Hall cloisters [3].

Lovett Hall, indeed the entire campus, had never looked more
attractive than it did as the Economic Summit opened. Watkin would
have especially appreciated the careful attention given the grounds that
he had supervised for so many years as chairman of the Committee on
Buildings and Grounds. There was no evidence of the "brown prairie"
that Sir Julian Huxley had found surrounding the first buildings at the
dedicatory ceremonies seventy-eight years earlier.

Even the imposing Italian cypress trees that formed the long vista
of the academic quadrangle west to the statue of William Marsh Rice
had been replaced, so that they were now where they had originally
stood. A devastating freeze in December 1989 had caused major
damage that made this replanting necessary. More than an acre of new
grass was also planted on the campus, along with thousands of blue
periwinkles and contrasting deep red begonias.

At the Summit's closing ceremonies on July 11, 1990, President
George Rupp could look back on what he described as " . . .a double
opportunity: ... a chance to participate in an historic event, and an
occasion for Rice to be in the international spotlight." Much of Dr.
Rupp's 1990 President's Report is devoted, appropriately, to the
Economic Summit, and the sentences concluding a special section on
the Summit epitomize how well the opportunity that this unique event
presented was realized:

"We are a model," President Rupp told a representative of United
Press International, "for what higher education at its best can be.
What distinguishes Rice from virtually all of the 3,000 other colleges
and universities in the country is that we are committed to embodying
both kinds of institutions— the liberal arts college and the major
research university. Our aim is not a compromise between the two.
Instead, we intend to be both kinds of institutions in full strength."



324 William Ward Watkin and the Rice Institute

The President's Report concludes: "It is a message that was sent
around the world, even as, for three days in July, the world came
to Rice."

Edgar Odell Lovett, the traveler who had journeyed so far in 1908
and 1909 to bring the Rice Institute to the attention of leaders of
higher education and government from Ireland to Japan, would surely
have been pleased that the Economic Summit had come to Rice.

n.

There had understandably been many changes within the Watkin
family in the 38 years since William Ward Watkin' s death in 1952. Ray,
the firstborn, was divorced from her first husband in 1955. In 1961,
she married Henry ("Harry") W. Hoagland, a native of Colorado
raised in California, and a graduate of Stanford University, the Stanford
Law School, and the Harvard Business School. They first lived on
Beacon Street in Boston, very near the office of Cram & Goodhue
where William Ward Watkin had begun his architectural career in 1908.

Henry Hoagland was a venture capitalist, first with American
Research & Development Co., and then with Fidelity Venture
Associates, both in Boston. Since his retirement in 1978, the
Hoaglands live in Houston and Kennebunkport, Maine, while spend-
ing part of the winter in Tucson, Arizona. They travel widely and
have many interests including family, friends, genealogy, the Repub-
lican Party, and their respective alma maters. Henry is an overseer of
the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution & Peace, an internationally
recognized organization funding research scholars and a fine collec-
tion of archives in its own library building at Stanford University. He
has also served on the board of visitors of the Stanford Law School.

Ray Watkin Hoagland has always maintained her keen interest in
Rice University, her alma mater and the locus of so much of her
father's career. While on the campus attending the 1961 inauguration
of President Kenneth S. Pitzer, she resolved to proceed with a project
long under consideration. Her objective was to augment the limited
records on hand of William Ward Watkin' s life and his works in the
field of architecture, both at the Rice Institute and in the city of
Houston, and to store them in the Fondren Library archives at Rice.



Epilogue 325

Ray started in 1962 at the Institute itself by locating scattered
campus files, portions of her father's considerable correspondence,
other papers, publications, work orders, original drawings, and
photographs, dating back to 1908, that related to his role in the
planning and building of the new university. She also assembled
papers relating the history of the Department of Architecture,
founded in 1912 by Watkin, and papers concerning his varied private
practice as well.

An invaluable ally to Ray in the Rice Library in the 1960s was
Pender Turnbull, Class of 1919, long in charge of the archives
dealing with the Institute's history, which included the "Lovett
Papers," faculty records, and other materials then located in the
basement of the Fondren Library.

Meanwhile, Ray also turned to other sources: John T. McCants,
bursar emeritus and first historian of the Rice Institute; architectural
faculty members and graduates; fellow architects who had known her
father; records of private commissions; files of the Houston Chapter
of the American Institute of Architects; clients; old newspaper and
magazine clippings and articles; and so forth. She herself recorded
interviews with architectural alumni, who were especially helpful.

After Ray's effort had resulted in the establishment of the collec-
tion of Watkin Papers of the Fondren Library (which were later the
principal basis for this book) with the excellent help of Nancy Boothe,
director of the Woodson Research Center, there was another develop-
ment: Stephen Fox, an architectural historian of marked ability and
an architectural graduate of the Class of 1973 at Rice, wrote
Monograph 29 in the series "Architecture at Rice," using the Watkin
collection for a great part of his research. The formal title of this work
is The General Plan of the William Marsh Rice Institute and Its
Architectural Development. A superbly researched, written, and
illustrated publication that was published in 1981, it made clear
William Ward Watkin' s crucial role in the planning and construction
of the Institute's remarkable original buildings.

Another area of Ray's successful efforts in discovering and pre-
serving the history of Rice has been her activity in collecting and
safeguarding items of and for Rice alumni archives for the pleasure
of future generations. She began this work in 1975 with the encour-



326 William Ward Watkin and the Rice Institute

agement of H. Malcolm Lovett and the help of Carolyn Hooton
Wallace, Class of 1953 and alumni director at that time, and many
other interested alumni. Lovett, son of Edgar Odell Lovett and
graduate of the Class of 1921, served many years as chairman of the
Board of Trustees of Rice, and in many other key positions for his
alma mater, and remained especially active in alumni activities.

In 1975, Ray formed the Alumni History Committee— now called
the Alumni Archives Committee— which has been successful in
carrying out many projects relating to collecting Rice's history and
traditions. Of particular interest are the significant number of alumni
"treasures," such as scrapbooks and photographs, which are on
permanent display in the Alumni Association office and used for
special Homecoming presentations each year.

Ray hopes that this valuable alumni collection will be kept
together, protected, and enlarged by donations— memories of older
alumni and faculty can be taped and added. Most importantly, it is
hoped that a permanent, appropriate, and spacious home for the
collection can be found on the campus so that the collection will be
easily available to interested campus visitors. Ray has donated
cabinets and bookcases to accommodate the papers, and a large
table and chairs to accommodate the users.

The collection, with its interesting old photos, could serve as
excellent source material for a possible future book on the history of
Rice's changing campus life. It will be of particular interest as Rice's
centennial year approaches.

Ray would also like to see the formation someday of a Rice
Historical Society, with programs presented on Rice's history, which
would be of interest to all.

William Ward Watkin, Jr., completed more than three decades of
distinguished active duty with the U.S. Army, which had begun as a
"plebe" at West Point in 1938. He retired as a brigadier general in the
Corps of Engineers in 1971 . General Watkin had an illustrious career
in World War n and Vietnam and in the years following. Upon
retirement, he became director of the Delaware River Port Authority
in Philadelphia. He was back in the gracious and historic city where
his father had studied at the University of Pennsylvania. After heading
shipping, rail, and toll bridge operations in Philadelphia for the DRPA



Epilogue 327

for a decade, General Watkin retired in 1982 and was appointed by
President Reagan as a director of the Panama Canal Commission. This
Commission, established by the U.S. Congress, operates and maintains
the Panama Canal. Attesting to his experience as an engineer and port
director, William Ward Watkin, Jr. , continues to serve on the executive
committee of the Commission under President Bush's administration.

General Watkin and his wife, the former Carol Snyder, later had
two other sons who joined William Ward EQ and Thomas. They are
Andrew Townsend (remembering his maternal grandfather), born in
1952, and John Kock, born in 1958. William Ward m, 41 years old
as this book goes to press and a graduate of West Point, is now a major
in the U.S. Army Engineers. He and his wife, the former Corinne
Lapeyre Barry of New Orleans, have five children, including Wil-
liam Ward rv. Major Watkin and his family are stationed in Heidel-
berg, Germany as this is written [4].

Another William Ward Watkin great-grandson has been born to
John Watkin and his wife, the former Barbara Nieukirk. He is John
K. Watkin, Jr., a family name still known in Northampton, England.
John K., Jr., was born in Durham, North Carolina, May 9, 1990.

Rosemary Watkin, the wife of Professor Nolan E. Barrick, dean of
the Department of Architecture at Texas Technological University,
died in 1984 at Lubbock, Texas, where she and Professor Barrick had
made their home for many years. In 1925 her father had designed the
general plan for Texas Tech University. She left her husband and two
children, Bruce and Anne (Mrs. Charles A. Smith).

William Ward Watkin' s second wife and widow, Josephine, con-
tinued to live in Houston, where she died in 1987 at the age of 95 after
a full and active life. She had continued to follow with interest the
accomplishments of the School of Architecture at Rice.

The School of Architecture has prospered and grown in the almost
forty years since William Ward Watkin's death in 1952. It has been
headed successively by James Morehead, Donald Barthelme, Wil-
liam Caudill, Anderson Todd, David Crane, O. Jack Mitchell, Paul
Kennon (who died shortly after taking over), and by his successor and
the present dean, Alan Balfour. Under each of these men, the School
has grown in size and reached new heights of achievement. A new
building for the School of Architecture was built in 1981 as an adjunct



328 William Ward Watkin and the Rice Institute

to Anderson Hall, and designed by the well-known British architect,
James Sterling. The School of Architecture today enjoys a prominent
national standing and it looks forward to continuing to build upon its
excellent foundation.



Notes

1. Dr. Lovett resigned the presidency he had held since 1908 upon reaching his
seventieth birthday on April 14, 1941 . However, he agreed to remain in office
until a successor was chosen. This was not done until 1946, when William
Vermillion Houston, a distinguished physicist at the California Institute of
Technology, became the second president of Rice. Edgar Odell Lovett died on
August 13, 1957, after a brief illness. He was 86. He had maintained an office
on campus almost until his death, and had continued to enjoy visits from
members of the faculty and administration.

Dr. Houston (his name, ironically, was pronounced "How-stun") resigned
the presidency in September 1960 after suffering a heart attack. He was
succeeded in June 1961 by Kenneth S. Pitzer, an eminent research chemist
from the University of California-Berkeley. President Pitzer resigned in 1969
to become the chief executive at Stanford University.

The fourth president was Norman Hackerman, another distinguished chem-
ist, who left the presidency of the University of Texas to come to Rice in 1970.
Dr. Hackerman retired in 1985 after fifteen years marked by exceptional
progress in both achievement and recognition for Rice University.

President Hackerman was succeeded in 1985 by George Erik Rupp, at the
time of his appointment dean of the School of Divinity at Harvard University.
Dr. Rupp is now in the sixth year of an administration that has already brought
noticeable new accomplishments to the university.

2. President Bush's guests at the 1990 Economic Summit were Brian Mulroney
of Canada, Frangois Mitterand of France, Margaret Thatcher of Great Britain,
Giulio Andreotti of Italy, Toshiki Kaifu of Japan, and Helmut Kohl of West
Germany. Also in attendance was Jacques Delors of the European Economic
Community.

3. Lassig's carvings on the Lovett Hall capitals depict, among others. Sir Francis
Galton, anthropology; Louis Pasteur, chemistry; Sir William Kelvin, physics;
Charles Darwin, biology; Thucydides, history; Michelangelo, art; St. Paul,
theology; and Edgar Odell Lovett 's mentor at the University of Leipzig,
Sophus Lie, mathematics and astronomy.

4. The children of Major and Mrs. William Ward Watkin III are Corinne Snyder,
born March 1, 1978, Katherine Lapeyre, born June 13, 1980, William Ward
rv, born December 16, 1983, Bryan Barry, born April 19, 1987, and Thomas



Epilogue 329

Cunningham, born April 27, 1988. Rosemary Watkin Barrick's daughter,
Mrs. Charles A. Smith (Anne), has one son, Austin William Smith, born
April 25, 1984.



The Projects of William Ward Watkin



Architectural projects by Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson and Cram &
Ferguson on which William Ward Watkin was involved as Ralph
Adams Cram 's representative



1909 General plan of the William M. Rice Institute
Houston

Administration Building

William M. Rice Institute, Houston

Mechanical Laboratory and Power House
William M. Rice Institute, Houston

1911 Residential Group for Men (South Hall and Commons)
William M. Rice Institute, Houston

Entrance gates and fence for entrances 1,2, and 3
William M. Rice Institute, Houston

1912 Physics Building

William M. Rice Institute, Houston

1913 East Hall, Residential Group for Men
William M. Rice Institute, Houston

Project: President's House
William M. Rice Institute, Houston

1914 Parish group master plan and Parish House, St. Mark's

Church
670 Calder Avenue , Beaumont, Texas

1915 West Hall, Residential Group for Men
William M. Rice Institute, Houston

Project: President's House
William M. Rice Institute, Houston

1916 Project: President's House
William M. Rice Institute, Houston



330



The Projects of William Ward Watkin 331



Mendelsohn Apartments (for the Scanlan Family)
131 7-1321 Crawford Street, Houston

1919 Trinity Episcopal Church
3419 Main, Houston

1920 Field House (William Ward Watkin, architect; Ralph

Adams Cram, consulting architect)
William M. Rice Institute, Houston

1922-23 Chemistry Building

William M. Rice Institute, Houston

1923 Project: President's House

William M. Rice Institute, Houston

1926 Founder's Memorial

William M. Rice Institute, Houston

1927 Project: Library Building
William M. Rice Institute, Houston

Project: Classroom Building
William M. Rice Institute, Houston



Architectural Projects by William Ward Watkin

1912 Project: Landscape plan for Allie (Kinsloe) and James L.

Autry
Houston

Landscape plan, walls, and gates for Courtlandt

Improvement Co.
Courtlandt Place, Houston

1913 2-story business and apartment building for Fred M.

Lege, Jr.
Galveston, Texas



332 William Ward Watkin and the Rice Institute



1914 Alterations and additions to house for John M.

Bennett, Jr.
409 West Dewey Place, San Antonio, Texas

House for Annie Ray (Townsend) and William Ward

Watkin
5009 Caroline Street, Houston

1915 Repairs to house of Cora and Walter J. Crawford,

damaged in the 1915 hurricane
1494 Broadway, Beaumont, Texas

Building at West Texas State Teachers College
Canyon, Texas

Science Building, Sam Houston Normal Institute
Huntsville, Texas

ca. 1915 House for Sadie and Perry M. Wiess
7572 Calder Avenue , Beaumont, Texas

1916 Southern Drug Company Building
1511-1517 Preston Avenue, Houston

Alterations and additions to house of William L. Priddie
892 Liberty Avenue, Beaumont, Texas

House for Mr. and Mrs. Robert Nicholson
4800 Drexel Drive, Highland Park, Texas

1917 House for AUene (Gano) and Howard R. Hughes, Sr.
5927 Yoakum Boulevard, Houston

YWCA Building

660 Calder Avenue, Beaumont, Texas

Sul Ross State Teachers College
Alpine, Texas

ca. 1917 Guion Hall, Texas A & M College
College Station, Texas

1918 Parish House, St. Peter's Church
Brenham, Texas



The Projects of William Ward Watkin 333



1919 Edson & Feray Co. Motorcar Showroom
2300 Main Street, Houston

Alterations to house of William W. Munzesheimer
602 Sul Ross Avenue, Houston

Miller Bros. Building

1615-1619 Preston Avenue, Houston

House for Nena (Wiess) and William A. Priddle
675 Fifth Street, Beaumont, Texas

ca. 1919 House for Edith R. and Robert G. Caldwell
5218 Bayard Lane

1920 Field House (Cram & Ferguson, consulting architects)
William M. Rice Institute, Houston

Thirty houses for Humble Oil & Refining Co.
Baytown, Texas

The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, plans begun (Ralph

Adams Cram, consulting architect)
Main Boulevard and Montrose Boulevard, Houston

Ye Old College Inn

6545 Main Boulevard, Houston

Project: Houston Public Library Building
Houston

1921 Autry House (in association with Cram & Ferguson)
6265 Main Boulevard, Houston

YWCA Activities Building (with Maurice J. Sullivan and
Birdsall R Briscoe, architects; Wm. F. Thompson,
associated architect)

1320 Rusk Avenue, Houston

Additions to the South Texas Commercial National Bank

Building
213 Main Street, Houston

Miller Memorial Outdoor Theater, Hermann Park
Houston

ca. 1921 House for Carrie Lou and Clayton B. Deming
11 06 Palm Avenue, Houston



334 William Ward Watkin and the Rice Institute

1922 House for Hazel and Harry B. Weiser
5202 Bayard Lane, Houston

House for Libbie (Johnston) and Neill T. Masterson
5120 Montrose Boulevard, Houston

House for Beulah and Max L. Hurvitz
4203 Montrose Boulevard, Houston

Windward Court Apartments
901 Rosalie, Houston

House for Augusta L. and Ernest William Greundler



Online LibraryPatrick James NicholsonWilliam Ward Watkin and the Rice Institute → online text (page 28 of 31)