Phi Delta Theta Fraternity.

The catalogue of the Phi delta theta fraternity online

. (page 1 of 217)
Online LibraryPhi Delta Theta FraternityThe catalogue of the Phi delta theta fraternity → online text (page 1 of 217)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


LJ75


delta theta




•.'^





Southern Branch
of the

University of California

Los Angeles

Form L-1

LT7b"

P53



a-



t^



(X-



This book is DUE on last dale stamped teiovi



FEB :; 19%

FEB 1 1 1950

. ■■■' LWF* ■

MAY 061996




THE CATALOGUE



OF THE



PHI DELTA THETA FRATERNITY



EIGHTH EDITION



918



Ets dvijp ovSeis dvrjp



47971



COMPILED FOR THE

PHI DELTA THETA FRATERNITY
BY W. J. Maxwell

UNDER THE DIRECTION OF

Fred. J. Coxe, Thomas A. Davis
AND Walter B. Palmer.



Corrections of inaccurate addresses or of uncertain addresses (indicated by
parentheses) that appear in this book are urgently requested, for use in The Scroll
and in the Ninth Edition of the Catalogue. Corrections of any other errors, full
names instead of initials, and more complete biographical details that may be furnished
will be preserved for the Ninth Edition. Address :

Phi Delta Theta Fraternity, Catalogue Department, Oxford, Ohio.



The price of this book, delivered in the United States or Canada, is six dollars per copy.
Remit to :

R. L. Polk & Company, 91 Third Avenue, New York, N. Y.
General Sales Agents.



HISTORY OF PHI DELTA THETA 15

The second chapter at Miami was never revived. Its life v^'as short, extending over
a period of only seven months, during which time there was the usual summer vacation.
After commencement in 1852, when the Society made its existence known, there was
no longer any reason for a second chapter in the university, and, accordingly, Ohio
Beta surrendered its charter.

Following the example of the parent chapter, Kentucky Alpha granted a charter
for a second chapter at Centre College. This was done in February, 1855, when the
membership of Kentucky Alpha was nineteen. In the following July the existence of
two chapters in the same institution was deemed to be no longer necessary, and the
charter of the second chapter was then surrendered. In no other Fraternity has there
been an instance of bicameral chapters in the same institution.

Later History of Ohio Alpha.

The graduation of members of Phi Delta Theta in 1857, and the failure of others
to return weakened Ohio Alpha, and it suspended in the autumn of that year. It was
revived in the autumn of 1865, and flourished until June, 1873, when the university
closed. On the reopening of Miami in the autumn of 1885, Phi Delta Theta was
reorganized there, and the parent chapter has been prosperous ever since.

In 1899 Ohio Alpha had a large reunion of its alumni who celebrated its Golden
Jubilee. A week before the celebration a large granite tablet, commemorating the
founding of Phi Delta Theta, was placed on the outer wall of the room where the
first meeting was held in 1848.

Ohio Alpha, during the first period of its existence, from 1848 to 1857, had no
permanent place of meeting. It occupied several halls during its second period, from
1865 to 1873, and from its reorganization in 1885 until 1900. It rented a house from
1900 to 1905, and in the latter year purchased a frame house, the first house owned by
any fraternity at Miami. This house was sold in 1907, and a brick and stone house was
completed in 1908. This house was built, on ground furnished free by the university,
at a cost of $23,000 contributed partly by the chapter and partly by the Fraternity. It
is called the Phi Delta Theta Memorial Chapter House. It contains a fire-proof annex,
in which is kept the Library of the Fraternity.

The National Convention .of 1910 adopted a resolution which provides that, if
possible, the Fraternity shall secure the custody of the room in the North Dormitory
of Miami University in which Phi Delta Theta was founded, and in which shall be
preserved souvenirs of the Founders and other historic relics.

Development After the Civil War.

For several years after the war all of the institutions in the South and many of
those in the North were in a very depressed condition. Phi Delta Theta made no
further extension until 1868, when it established chapters at Indiana Asbury (now
DePauw) University and Ohio University.

Of the chapters that suspended on account of the Civil War, the chapter at
Franklin was revived in 1869, suspended in 1872, and was revived in the same year;
the chapter at Ohio Wesleyan was revived in 1871, suspended in 1877, and was finally
revived in 1879; the chapter at Wisconsin was revived in 1880, and the chapter at
Northwestern in 1886; tlie chapter at Lawrence is still inactive. The Hanover chapter,
chartered in 1861, was not organized until 1868.

In 1869 a chapter was organized at Roanoke College in Virginia; and from that
State the Fraternity was introduced into Georgia, and thence it spread throughout the
South. Phi Delta Theta first entered the East in 1872, when a chapter was established
at Cornell. Another eastern institution, Lafayette, was entered in 1873, and in the



16 HISU'KV Ol' rill DELTA TllETA

same year the baniuT of tlic Fraternity was carried across llie continent and planted
in California. During the next twenty years Phi Delta Theta made remarkable
advancement in the East, West and South. It became firmly entrenched in all sections.

Phi Delta Thcta now- has eighty-five active college chapters m thirty-five States
of the United States and two Provinces of Canada. Any one who is informed as to
the higher institutions of learning in North America can see that Phi Delta Theta
has a well balanced distribution of chapters. It is not a sectional Fraternity, but in
a true sense a National Fraternity, and the Canadian chapters make it international.

Of the eightj - five active chapters, twenty-nine are in State universities —
Alabama, California, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Ken-
tucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio
(3 universities), Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Ver-
mont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin.

Seven other chapters are in institutions that receive State support— Dartmouth
College, Cornell University. Pennsylvania State College, University of Pittsburgh,
Georgia School of Technology, Alabama Polytechnic Institute, Purdue University, Iowa
State College, Oregon Agricultural College, State College of Washington.

Eighteen institutions in which there are chapters receive Federal support — Cornell,
Purdue, Alabama Polytechnic, Pennsylvania State, Iowa State, Washington State,
Oregon Agricultural, Ohio State Universitj', and the Universities of California, Georgia,
Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Alinnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Vermont, Wisconsin.

The University of Toronto receives support from the Province of Ontario, and
the University of Cincinnati from the City of Cincinnati.

Phi Delta Theta has chapters in all of the larger universities in the United States,
except in Princeton, w-here secret fraternities are prohibited, and in Harvard and
Yale, where class societies and local customs interfere with the success of four-year
fraternities. Phi Delta Theta, like every other fraternity, has some chapters in the
smaller colleges, but all of them are historic institutions, and are attended by students
of the best class in their respective sections.

The very strict requirements of the Fraternity with regard to the standing of
the institutions which it has entered, and with regard to the character of the men to
whom charters have been granted, have caused the rejection of many applications for
charters from institutions in which other fraternities are established.

Fr.\terxities Absorbed by Phi Delta Theta.

Phi Delta Theta has absorbed several small fraternities. In 1878 it absorbed the
parent chapter of the Phi Sigma League at Lombard, which was the only surviving
chapter of that organization. Alumni of Phi Sigma were accepted as members of
Phi Delta Theta. In 1879 Phi Delta Theta absorbed the Centre chapter of the Delta
Kappa Fraternity, which was the last surviving chapter of that organization except
one at Dartmouth which died in 1882. Phi Delta Theta absorbed the Texas and South-
western chapters of the Rainbow or W. W. W. Fraternity in 1885-86, when the other
two chapters, at Mississippi and Vanderbilt, united with Delta Tau Delta. Phi Delta
Theta, in 1886-87, absorbed the chapters of Kappa Sigma Kappa at Randolph-Macon,
Richmond, Virginia Military Institute and Washington and Lee, which were the last
surviving chapters of that organization.

Many local organizations have been chartered as chapters of Phi Delta Theta —
Sigma Phi, at Syracuse; Sigma Rho, at Brown; Alpha Nu, at Illinois; Phi Lambda
Omicron, at Case; Gamma Nu Sigma, at Cincinnati; Delta Phi, at University of
Washington; Phi Tau, at Kentucky; Lambda Gamma, at University of Colorado;
Beta Phi, at Georgia Tech. ; Delta Chi, at Pennsylvania State ; Zeta Sigma Nu, at
Toronto ; Kappa Phi Alpha, at Idaho ; Delta Phi, at Washburn ; Delta Sigma, at



HISTORY OF PHI DELTA THETA 17

Oregon; Alpha Tau Delta, at Colorado College; Alpha Nu Epsilon, at Denison;
Delta Theta, at Oklahoma; Sigma Alpha, at Colgate; Kappa Sigma Nu, at Oregon
Agricnltural ; Delta Sigma Pi, at Pittsburgh ; Delta, at Washington State ; Tau Alpha
Omicron, at Swarthmore; Incognito Society, at Tulane; Texta Club, at Washington
University; Tridentia Society, at South Dakota; Varsity Bachelor Club, at North
Dakota ; Caducia Club, at Iowa State ; and Amici Fidissimi, at Utah.

Alumni members of these organizations have, on initiation, been received into the
Phi Delta Theta Fraternity.

Careers of Chapters Suspended and Re-established.

Phi Delta Theta was the first Fraternity to enter the States of Texas (1853),
Wisconsin (1857), Nebraska (1875), and South Dakota (1906). In entering Texas,
it was the first Fraternity to cross the Mississippi River.

Phi Delta Theta was the pioneer Fraternity at Wittenberg, Wisconsin, North-
western, Butler, Franklin, Nebraska, Vanderbilt, Texas, Stanford, South Dakota,
Whitman. It was the second Fraternity established at Indiana and Centre. Chapters
which Beta Theta Pi had established in those institutions had suspended, and there
was no other Fraternity in either of them or in any other institution in Indiana or
Kentucky. Phi Delta Theta was the second Fraternity established also at Iowa Wes-
leyan, California, Vermont, Westminster, Minnesota, Southwestern, Case, Idaho, Wash-
burn.

During the first thirty-five years of the Fraternity, anti-fraternity laws caused a
number of chapters to be sub rosa for years, others to suspend temporarily and some
to suspend permanently.

On account of faculty opposition to secret societies, the fourth chapter, Indiana
Beta, established at Wabash in 1850, remained sub rosa until 1862-63. In 1874 anti-
fraternity laws were enacted at Ohio Wesleyan, and their enforcement was attempted
for a year or two. The Nebraska chapter, chartered in 1875, found neither faculty
nor students favorable to fraternities, and suspended in 1876; it was revived in 1883.
The Vanderbilt chapter, chartered in 1876, was not fairly organized until 1877, on
account of anti-fraternity laws, which rendered sub rosa existence necessary until
1883. In 1877, shortly after the organization of the chapter at Alabama, it was forced
by adverse legislation to suspend; it was revived in 1883, and the anti-fraternity laws
were repealed two years later. Because of faculty opposition, the Georgia chapter was
sub rosa from 1875 to 1878; the Missouri chapter from 1881 to 1884 and the Auburn
chapter from 1881 to 1883. The Knox chapter suspended in 1878, on account of anti-
fraternity laws; these having been repealed, the chapter was revived in 1880; it sus-
pended again in 1882, and was finally revived in 1884. The chapters at North Carolina
and Illinois were chartered soon after the repeal of anti-fraternity laws.

The charter of the chapter at Georgetown, granted in 1857, was withdrawn during
the same year because of the faculty's hostility; the chapter was re-established in
1875, but died the next year for the same reason. The chapters at Wittenberg, Mon-
mouth, Central (Missouri), Trinity (Texas), Trinity (North Carolina), K. M. I.
and \'. M. I. were killed by anti-fraternity regulations. These regulations have been
repealed at Wittenberg and Trinity (North Carolina). The chapter at Wooster was
inactive 1880-81, and surrendered its charter in 1897; the trustees of the institution
prohibited fraternities there in 1913. The chapter at Wofford died in 1884, and in
1907 fraternities were prohibited from initiating students there, but this regulation
was repealed in 1916. The chapter at South Carolina died in 1893, and, by an act of
liie Legislature in 1897. fraternities were excluded from State institutions. Similar
legislation in Mississippi in 1912 caused the chapter there to suspend.

The isolated chapter at Austin College suspended in 1854, was revived in 1858, and



18 HISTORY OF PHI DKLTA I 1 1 1'.r A

died the same year. The Ogletliorpc chapter died on account of the closing of the
institution. The charters of the cliapters at Richmond. Buchtel and lUinois Wesleyan
were surrendered because of the decrease in the attendance of students. The charters
of the Terre Haute, Roanoke. Hillsdale, Lansing, C. C. N. "Y. and Southern chapters
were withdrawn because the Fraternity did not desire to continue at those institutions.

The Miami chapter suspended in 1857, was revived in 1865, suspended on account
of the closing of the university in 1873, and was revived in 1885, when the university
was re-opened. The Chicago chapter suspended in 1871, and was re-established in
the new University of Chicago in 1897. For various reasons, several chapters have
been temporarily inactive — the Michigan chapter, 1869-80 and 1880-87; the DePauw
chapter, 1870-71, 1872-75 and 1876-80; the Cornell chapter, 1876-86; the California
chapter, 1877-86; the Lehigh chapter, 1877-87; the Columbia chapter, 1890-93.

Kentucky Alpha, established at Centre College, Danville, Ky., in 1850, and Ken-
tucky Delta, at Central University, Richmond, Ky., in 1885, were combined as Ken-
tucky Alpha-Delta, in 1901, when the two institutions were consolidated under the
name of Central L^niversity, which is located at Danville.

All chapters have had a continuous existence except where their suspension,
temporary or permanent, has been mentioned.

The six chapters for which the National Convention granted charters on January
2, 1918 — at Colgate. Swarthmore. Pittsburgh. Oklahoma, and the State Colleges of
Oregon and Washington — had not been installed when this book went to press, hence
their membership lists are not included in this edition of the Catalogue.

Of the eighty-five active chapters, fifty-nine own the houses in which they
live. The values of these houses are as follows : Alabama, $10,000 ; Alabama Poly-
technic, $10,000; California, $43,000; Stanford, $9,000; Colorado College, $16,000
Emory, $2,000; Idaho, $6,000; Northwestern, $10,000; Lombard, $6,000; Illinois, $16,000
Indiana, $15,000; Wabash, $12,000; Butler, $10,000; Franklin, $5,000; Hanover, $5,000
DePauw, $8,000; Purdue. $30,000; Iowa Wesleyan, $8,000; Iowa State, $25,000;' Kansas
$18,000; Washburn, $12,000; Tulane, $15,000; Williams, $70,000; Amherst, $45,000
Michigan, $26,000; Minnesota, $20,000; Missouri, $35,000; Westminster, $6,500; Dart-
mouth, $20,000 ; Cornell, $36,000 ; Union, $30,000 ; Columbia, $45,000 ; Syracuse, $37,000 ;
Colgate, $15,000; North Carolina, $6,000; North Dakota, $25,000; Miami, $22,000; Ohio
Wesleyan, $12,500: Ohio, $15,000; Ohio State, $12,000; Case, $23,000; Denison, $15,000;
Toronto, $20,000 ; Lafayette, $30,000; Gettysburg. $4,500; Allegheny, $16,000: Dickinson,
$8,000; Pennsylvania, $45,000; Lehigh, $25,000; Pennsylvania State, $20,000; McGill,
$15,000; South Dakota. $12,000: Vanderbilt, $25,000; Sewanee, $15,000; Texas, $13,500;
Vermont, $12,000; Whitman. $14,000: Washington State (Pullman), $10,000; Wis-
consin, $35,000. The total value is $1,127,000, not including $37,400, the value of building
sites owned by the chapters at Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Westminster, Ohio Wesleyan,
Virginia, Washington and Utah. The value of chapter house furnishings is $109,100.

Ax ExTEXDED Society the Origixal Object.

On December 30, 1848, the parent chapter adopted a name for the Society, a
motto, a Bond, Articles of Union and a Constitution.

The Articles of Union specified that such persons as were contemplated in the
Bond should be elected to membership, and no others; they prescribed the form of a
preliminary pledge of secrecy, and they included an initiation ceremony.

The Founders of Phi Delta Theta intended that it should be not a local but an
inter-collegiate Society. The Articles of Union provided for the establishment of
chapters, directed how they should be chartered and organized, specified how they
should be entitled, defined the relations which should exist between them, required



HISTORY OF PHI DELTA THETA 19

that they should annually make reports of their membership, and provided the means
whereby their charters might be withdrawn. Provisions were made for appeals from
the decisions of chapters, for a system of membership reports, to be made annually
by the chapters, and for amending the Articles of the Union.

The Founders, before they had added to their number, before the Society was one
week old, had formulated and adopted these far-reaching plans. They thought of
everything important; they did their work well. For a Society just launched on its
career, the Articles of Union were wonderfully complete; they contained all essential
features. In fact, they were so complete that they were not amended for nearly a
quarter of a century. The 'faith of the Founders in the fundamental principles on
which Phi Delta Theta was based was justified by the wonderful growth and pros-
perity of the Fraternity in succeeding years, and the machinery of organization which
they devised proved to be strongly and skillfully constructed.

In the Articles of Union Phi Delta Theta was called not a "Fraternity," but "this
Society," and "the Order of the Phi Delta Theta"; while a local branch of it was
called, not a chapter, but a "college." No other Greek-letter association ever used the
word "college" in tliis sense. In the Articles of Union the parent "college" at Miami
University was called "the Ohio Alpha" and "the Ohio Alpha College of the Phi
Delta Theta."

The Articles of Union provided for entitling colleges by the names of the States
in which they were to be established and the Greek letters in alphabetical order. It
is fortunate that this system was adopted, as it is the best system for a large fraternity,
because it is easier to remember the names of chapters thus entitled than the Greek
letters unaccompanied with the names of States.

A footnote to the Constitution of 1898 authorized chapters to be designated in
common parlance by the names of the institutions or towns in which they are located.
Thus, New York Alpha is frequently called the Cornell chapter and Tennessee Beta
the Sewanee chapter.

The Constitution, adopted by the Phi Delta Theta Society on December 30, 1848,
provided for the government of the parent chapter, which was therein called "The
Society," "this Society," "this Association," and "the Ohio Alpha College of the Phi
Delta Theta." On April 25, 1849, the Society adopted By-laws for the Ohio Alpha
college.

The first Convention of Phi Delta Theta was held in 1851, when the Fraternity
was just three years old. The first five conventions, including the one held in 1864,
were called General Conventions. The sixth, held in 1868, and all held since then
have been called National Conventions.

In 1865 an Indiana State Phi Delta Theta Convention was held at Indianapolis.
It was the first State Convention held by any college fraternity. In subsequent years
State Conventions were held in Indiana and other States. Since the province system
was established, in 1880, Province Conventions and joint Province Conventions have
been held between the meetings of the National Convention.

Until 1871 all the colleges of Phi Delta Theta were governed by the Articles of
Union which had been adopted in 1848. Each college also had for its own government
a Constitution, wiiich was similar to the Constitution of Ohio Alpha, but which each
college could change at will. The National Convention of 1871 adopted a Constitu-
tion for all chapters, to take the place of the Articles of Union, but it contained,
practically unchanged, all of the material features and most of the language of the
Articles.

In the new instrument Phi Delta Theta was called "the Organization," "the
Association," "the Order," and once "the Fraternity." For "college" the word "chapter"



20 iiisrokv oi' rill nia/rA riiKTA

was substituted, the words "society" and "association" also being used synonoqiously.
The National Convention of 1874 amended the Constitution so as to substitute "Fra-
ternity" for "Society" wherever it occurred in the Constitution.

The Constitution was amended by various National Conventions, and new revisions
were adopted by the Conventions of 1878, 1880, 1886 and 1898. In making the revision
in 1898. a Code and other General Statutes were adopted, and only organic laws were
retained in the Constitution. The Constitution, Code and other General Statutes were
revised in 1906 and in 1918.

In 1880 the Ritual, which had been embodied in the Constitution, was separated
from it and amplified. The Ritual has been further amplified in 1891, 1896, 1906 and
1910.

Gr.and Chapters axd the Executive Committee.

The Articles of Union provided that the college at Miami University should be
the presiding chapter. The presiding chapter was the Miami chapter from 1848 to
1858, the Indiana chapter from 1858 to 1860, the Centre (now Central) chapter from
1860 to 1868, the Chicago chapter from 1868 to 1869, the Miami chapter from 1869
to 1873, the Wooster chapter from 1873 to 1878 and the Lafayette chapter from 1878
to 1880. In conversation and correspondence the Ohio Alpha college at Miami Univer-
sity was called "the Grand Alpha" and "the Grand Chapter," as also were the Central
and Chicago chapters while each of them was the presiding chapter. In the Consti-
tution of 1871 the presiding chapter was termed "the Grand Alpha Chapter," and in
the Constitution of 1874 "the National Grand Chapter."

The Articles of Union provided that the first college chartered in each State should
receive reports from the other colleges in the State, and should forward the same to
the presiding college at Miami. In conversation and correspondence the Alpha college,
or first chapter in each State, was called "the State Grand Chapter."

The National Convention of 1868 directed that the President of each Convention
should appoint an Executive Committee. Each Executive Committee thus appointed
until 1872 selected a President and a Secretary from its members. Beginning with
1872, the President and Secretary of each National Convention became, ex officio, the
President and Secretary of the Executive Committee. From 1868 to 1872, the prin-
cipal duties of the Executive Committee were to make arrangements for the next
Convention and to apportion the assessment necessary to pay the expenses of the next
Convention. Beginning with 1872. the Executive Committee became an executive body
in fact as well as in name, though its powers were yet not well defined.

An amendment to the Constitution, adopted in 1873, provided that a Grand Banker
should be added to the general officers of the Fraternity. This Convention ordered
that the Grand Banker should apportion the assessment necessary to pay the expenses
of the next Convention. From the time the office was created, the Grand Banker
became, ex officio, a member of the Executive Committee.

Until 1876 the Executive Committee numbered from five to seven members. By
an act of the National Convention of 1876, it was then reduced to four members. The
President and Secretary of the National Convention continued to be the President
and Secretary of the Executive Committee. The other two members were the Grand
Banker, elected by the Convention, and a member of the National Grand Chapter,
elected by that chapter. For the first time, the functions of the Executive Committee
were clearly defined by the Convention of 1876. Besides specified powers, the Com-
mittee was given the power of acting at its discretion between National Conventions,
its actions being subject to review by the Convention.

By the Constitution adopted in 1878, State Grand Chapters were abolished and the



Online LibraryPhi Delta Theta FraternityThe catalogue of the Phi delta theta fraternity → online text (page 1 of 217)