Phoebe Palmer.

The Antiquary (Volume 31) online

. (page 51 of 67)
Online LibraryPhoebe PalmerThe Antiquary (Volume 31) → online text (page 51 of 67)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he may l>c cordially congratulated. There is a good
index at the end of the volume.

% #
The Legitimist Kai.endar for the Year of Our
Lord 1895. Edited by the Marquis de Kuvigny
and Kaineval. Cloth, 8 vo., pp. 174. London:
Henry and Co. Price 5s.
If it is intended that this publication should be
taken seriously, and the character of its contents leaves
no room for doubt that it is intended to be taken
seriously, then nothing but unsparing condemnation
can be the verdict of all right- thinking people in
regard to it. We are not anxious to bolster up the
Act of Settlement, or to eulogize the "(Glorious
Revolution," but it is worth remembering that in
practice the Act of Settlement really proceeded on
legitimist principles. It merely excluded the Roman
Catholic members of the royal family from reigning,
ju>t as it would exclude the Prince of Wales and his
family tomorrow were they to become Roman
Catholic. The Act did not create a new royal family,
but reverted to the nearest available branch of the
old one.

Everybody at the present day is a Jacobite, and
people are ready to recognise that much that was
right, and noble, and chivalrous, and heroic was on
the side of the unfortunate Stuarts, and their still
more unfortunate supporters, at the time that the two
first Georges were misruling a country in which they
were little better than aliens. The whole subject
underwent a complete change, however, on the death
of Prince Charles Edward (Charles III.) in 1788, his
brother and only near heir being the Cardinal of York.
It was then that the Scotch and other adherents of
the Stuarts threw in their lot with the rest of the nation,
and recognised the reigning sovereign, George III.,
as the legitimate King.

With the death, eighty-eight years ago, of the Car-
dinal of York (Henry IX.), the Stuart line came to a
final end, and the present "legitimists" have not
the remotest claim to be considered as in any way
traditional descendants of the old Jacobites. Indeed,
by nobody would they be more contemptuously
disowned than by the men who were ready, Last
century, to stake their fortunes and their lives, and to
lose both in the cause of the exiled branch of the
royal family. There was something to fight for then,
and a cause worthy of some brave show ; but what
are we to say of the drawing-room heroes of to-day,
who, after diligently searching about, find an obscure
Italian princess, whose descent is one degree nearer
to the old Stuart line than Queen Victoria's, and who
straightway propose to " restore her to her throne,"
as Mary IV., in place of the reigning Queen? It is
lucky for these silly people that they live in times
when their suggestion can be treated with contempt,
and when there is no danger that their treason will
call for the forfeit of their heads on Tower Hill.

The book is full of puerile references to most of
the rulers of the civilized world, including the
gracious Lady who in our own country, for more than
half a century, has so happily sat on the throne of her
ancestors. What, for example, can be more ridiculous
than the version of the National Anthem given in the
Kalendar, where it has been altered to read, "soon
to reign over us " ? Are the editor and his friends so



utterly devoid of reason and common-sense, as really
to wish to bring the Duchess of Este to reign in
England, in the place of Queen Victoria ? We can
scarcely think it possible, in spite of their own words.
It is this childish nonsense which makes it impossible
to treat the Kalendar otherwise than with ridicule.
Had the editor contented himself with indicating what
the result would have been if the regal line had been
traced from Charles I. instead of from James I., as
he and his friends maintain that it ought to have
been, then we should have been willing to admit that
his book has worthier elements, and that it bears
evidence of some original research on his part. As
it is, the only verdict possible must be a most un-
favourable one. We are surprised that any reputable
firm of publishers should have been willing to give
their imprimatur to this offensive, and very silly pub-
lication.

We noticed the publication of a facsimile of Crom-
well 's Soldier 's Bible ; by Mr. Elliot Stock, in the Anti-
quary for December last. The publisher has now issued
the facsimile in a less expensive binding, and it can
be purchased for a shilling. Many who were, perhaps,
deterred by the higher price of the earlier edition, may
be glad to know of its re-issue in a cheap form.
Two copies of the original of this curious work are
alone known to exist : one of them is in the British
Museum, and the other in private hands in America.



>f)0tt Bom ant)
Correspondence.

" HAGGADAY."

The following letter from Professor Skeat regard-
ing the word " haggaday " has been forwarded to us
for publication by Mr. Peacock :

July 30, 1895.

Dear Sir, The etymology of haggaday can only
be guessed at. My provisional guess is as follows :

We know that g, in the middle of a word, between
two vowels, may come from an older k. Thus dragon
is from draconem. Hence, the original form may
have been hak-aday.

This makes perfect sense. Hak, from A.S. h&ca,
a hook ; hence, a slight mode of fastening ; and aday,
as in work-aday, i.e., by day. All together, "a slight
mode of fastening by day." In the night one would
bolt the door.

The a in A.S. haca was originally short, and might
be kept short under stress. In modern English it
comes out as hake, a hook, the name of a fish.

And just as shake (A.S. sedcan) is related by grada-
tion (as it is called) to shook, just so haca is related to
hook. That is, it is a mere variant of " hook," due
to a difference in the vowel-gradation.

You are at liberty to use this letter.

Yours sincerely,

W. W. Skeat.

rTTTTTTTTrrrrTTTTTTTTTTT1TTrrTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTrrrTTrnrTTTr

Note to Publishers. We shall be particularly
obliged to publishers if they will always state the price
of books sent for review.



NOTES OF THE MONTH.



289



Wtimmm



The Antiquary.



OCTOBER, 1895.



jftotes of t&e Q9ontb.

The annual list of the Fellows of the Society
of Antiquaries on July 1, of 1895, has been
issued during the past month. We do not
quite understand why July, rather than
January, should be the date selected, although,
no doubt, good reasons exist for the practice.
We gather from the list that thirty-five Fellows
were elected during the past year, the total
number on July 1, 1895, being 754, as against
749 on the same date last year. This, how-
ever, includes the Royal and the Honorary
Fellows. Independently of these there were
715 ordinary Fellows (compounders and
annual subscribers) in 1895, against 711 in
1894. The " Father " of the Society would
seem to be Mr. James Heywood, who was
elected a fellow on May 9, 1839. Among
the Royal Fellows, the name of the Duke of
York appears for the first lime this year.

$> $? )&
We regret to observe in the newspapers a
statement that the old church of St. Matthew,
at Douglas, in the Isle of Man, is either
about to be pulled down, or has already
suffered that fate. The church was founded
by the pious Bishop Wilson, author of Sacra
Privata and other standard books. It was a
plain, but picturesque, structure, and its con-
nection with the good bishop who built and
consecrated it, ought to have been sufficient
to have saved it from destruction. But this
uncalled-for act of vandalism is only in
accordance with the spirit of the day. The
old building was not, it may be presumed,
sufficiently " ecclesiastical " in character to
suit the modern Churchman, and hence the

VOL. XXXI.



verdict of destruction which has been passed
upon it.

Few, if any, of the ecclesiastical buildings at
present in use in the island are of pre-Refor-
mation date. The older structures have
either been rebuilt, or so completely altered,
as to have lost their more earlier charac-
teristics. Ancient stone crosses and other
remains, however, are numerous, and in two
instances other objects of mediaeval date
have been preserved. At Jurby there is a fine
chalice with the hall-marks of the year 1521,
and at Malew is preserved a very fine paten,
of much the same date, with the inscription
(Sanctc lupe ora pro nobis round the rim, in
allusion to St. Lupus, to whom the church,
Ma-Lew, is dedicated. There is also at
Malew a curious, but damaged, crucifix of
copper-gilt. It measures rather less than 20
inches in height, by 14 inches across the arm.
There is a cavity for a relic at the back, but
the original use of the cross is not obvious.

& 4? $?
In some of the older Manx churches we
observed, a few years ago, when visiting the
Isle of Man, that the ducal arms of the house
of Athole were painted on boards, much as
the royal arms used to be in the churches
on the mainland. The Dukes of Athole
succeeded to the regal powers of the Stanleys
in the island. These regal rights were sold
(as most people are aware) to the English
crown towards the end of last century. We
do not remember to have seen the fact of the
Athole arms being placed in the churches
mentioned in print. It seems, therefore,
worth while to place it on record.

4? 'fr #
We have to record the publication, during the
past month, of the large work by Mr. W. H.
St. John Hope (which has been so eagerly
looked for), on the Corporation Plate and the
Insignia of Office of the different cities and
boroughs in England and Wales. We shall
hope to refer to this subject more at length
shortly, but the publication of this important
work calls for some reference, at least, in the
Monthly Notes. Two goodly volumes of
about a thousand pages, fully illustrated, and
compiled with that thoroughness for which
Mr. Hope is so well known, form a work
worthy of the best traditions of English

2 p



29



NOTES OF THE MONTH.



archaeology. The work is published by
Messrs. Bemrose and Sons, Limited, who are
to be congratulated on the generally hand-
some appearance of Mr. Hope's work.



The Council of the Yorkshire Archaeological
Society have issued a circular respecting a
proposed excavation of Mount Grace Priory.
They say as follows : " The monasteries of
the Carthusian Order that were founded in
England were only nine in number, of which
the Charterhouse at Mount Grace was one.
Of two of them, Witham and Shene, the very
sites are doubtful, and of Epworth and
Kingston-on-Hull nothing remains above
ground. Of Beauvale, Hinton, Coventry,
and the London Charterhouse some isolated
portions only are left. At Mount Grace, on
the other hand, the remains of the Charter-
house are fairly perfect, and afford an excel-
lent example of the peculiar arrangements
adopted by the Carthusian Order. Of the
gatehouse, guest-houses, kitchen, etc., that
formed two sides of the outer court, very
considerable portions remain. The nave
and transepts and most of the quire of the
church are standing and the central tower is
still complete to its pinnacles. The great
cloister retains intact almost the whole of its
outer wall with the ruins of a series of fifteen
cells or two storied houses for the monks
that surrounded it. Besides the buildings
standing above ground there are traces of an
extensive range along the south side of the
great cloister, between it and the church,
where stood the chapter-house, vestry, frater,
etc. Enclosing the cemetery on the east and
south of the church are the foundations of an
additional series of five cells, each in its own
garden, like the houses round the great
cloister.

4f 4p

" It is proposed, should funds be forthcoming,
(i) To clear out and drain two of the best
preserved of the little houses round the great
cloister, which are so marked a characteristic
of the Carthusian monastery, and to level and
turf down their surrounding gardens ; their
interesting arrangements will thus be easily
made out ; (2) To remove the accumulated
soil in and around the church, and to show
its connection with other buildings ; and (3)
To open up the sites of the chapter-house,



vestry, frater, prior's lodging, and other
buildings, the relative positions of which are
unknown. The owner of Mount Grace
Priory, William Brown, Esq., who is a mem-
ber of the Council of the Yorkshire Archaeo-
logical Society and Local Secretary of the
Society of Antiquaries, has most kindly
afforded every facility for the proposed works
and also promised pecuniary and other help.
Mr. \V. H. St. John Hope has also again
expressed his willingness to assist the Society
by directing and superintending the excava-
tions. It is estimated that a sum of ^150
will be required to satisfactorily carry out the
proposed operations, and the Council there-
fore venture to appeal for subscriptions in aid
of so important a work."

4p if if

We may add that subscriptions towards this
very desirable object may be paid to Mr. G.
W. Tomlinson, F.S.A., Wood Field, Hudders
field, or to Mr. John W. Walker, F.S.A., The
Elms, Wakefield, the two honorary secretaries
of the society.

$ $ $

We alluded last month to the impending
demolition of the Jewry Wall at Leicester.
It may be remembered that the subject came
before the Society of Antiquaries last January,
when a very strong remonstrance was made,
and the following resolution unanimously
passed : " The Society of Antiquaries of
London has learnt with regret that there is a
possibility of the ancient Jewry Wall at
Leicester being disturbed by the formation
of the new line of the Manchester, Sheffield,
and Lincolnshire Railway. The Society
desires to express its most earnest hope that
means may be found to preserve in its present
state this interesting monument, which is in
reality a gate of the Roman city, and one of
the largest and most important remains of
Roman buildings now standing in Great
Britain." The matter was brought before the
Society of Antiquaries by the Council of the
Leicester Literary and Philosophical Society,
and by the Leicestershire Architectural and
Archaeological Society, in the hope of strong
concerted action saving the wall.

$ <$? $
From information which we have lately re-
ceived from a correspondent at Leicester,
there is another factor in the case, which it



NOTES OF THE MONTH.



291



seems has not been taken count of, and
which, if followed up, may help to save the
Jewry Wall from destruction. It will be
remembered that the wall was sold with a
factory to the Railway Company, but our
correspondent states that it is not private
property at all, and that it has, time out of
mind, been kept in repair by the Vicar and
Churchwardens of St. Nicholas Church, as
the parochial accounts amply testify. It
appears that the Vicar and Churchwardens
have asserted the parish claim so far as to
protest against the proposed act of vandalism.
It seems to us, that they ought to be en-
couraged by immediate pecuniary support
from outside, to contest the legality of the
sale by the proprietors of the factory of this
important relic of Roman Britain.

if # # 4f

A correspondent writes : " I have lately been
into Cornwall, and paid a visit to the little
church of Perranzabuloe. I regret to say
that it is in a very much worse state than it
was when I last saw it seven years ago. It
is now half filled with sand ; the walls have
evidently been partly pulled down, and the
stones roughly piled up again. The stone
seats which were there seven years ago have
been removed. The stone altar slab has
been taken up, and replaced east and west,
instead of north and south in the usual
position as it was before. The only redeem-
ing point is that an iron railing has been
placed round the building. It seems a pity
that so interesting a building should have
been so badly treated, and so little cared
for."

$? 4p

A statement having been made that funds
were needed for a proposed " restoration " of
the ancient cathedral church of the diocese
of Argyll, which is situated on the island of
Lismore, near Oban, where it serves as the
parish church, we applied to the minister for
information on the subject, and we are very
glad to be able to say, on his authority, that
nothing of the nature of a " restoration " is
contemplated, certain necessary repairs alone
being proposed.

4p

The Rev. Mr. Torrie, the parish minister of
Lismore, writes as follows : " The present
church was the chancel of the old cathedral,



of which no further traces are left except the
foundation stones, covered over with the
greensward. There is, indeed, to be little
or no restoration ; we rather aim at the pre-
servation of the relics left ; these we cannot
allow anyone to interfere with. . . . You
may rest assured that I will not permit any
interference with the old relics, or the old
features of the church. It must, however, be
thoroughly repaired, as it is so damp and
unhealthy in its present state, as to be well-
night unfit (especially in winter) to conduct
worship in. Even were it closed, it would
require to be repaired to keep it from falling
into decay and ruin. Indeed, if I had
plenty of money I should build a new church
at, say ^1,600, and repair the present one,
taking all care of the objects of antiquarian
interest it contains. Anyway, none of its
ancient features will either be obliterated or
altered. Between 1722 and 1750, about
eight feet were taken off the height of the
walls, and the present roof put on."

4r %? *fc

The assurance that no mischief will be
allowed or done, is thoroughly satisfactory.
Perhaps some of our readers may be disposed
to help the minister in repairing the ancient
and historical building which he serves. If
so, contributions may be forwarded to the
Rev. W. Torrie, The Manse, Lismore, Oban,
N.B^

4f 4? 4p

The report of the British Museum for the
year ending March 31, 1895, has been
recently issued. From it we gather the
following items. The total number of
readers during the year was 202,973, giving
an average of about 670 daily, the Reading
Room having been open on 303 days. In
the Newspaper Room there were 15,394
readers, or an average of 50 daily. In the
Map Room 278 visitors were admitted for
the purpose of general geographical research.

4? 4? 4?

We quote the following from the report as
regards some additions to the library : " The
most remarkable acquisition made by the
Department of Printed Books in the past
year is the exceedingly important one of a
considerable portion of the extraordinary
collection of rare English books, chiefly of
belles lettres, of the period of Elizabeth and



292



NOTES OF THE MONTH.



James L, discovered in 1867 by Mr. C.
Edmonds at Lamport Hall, Northampton-
shire, the seat of Sir Charles Isham, Bart.,
where they had been laid aside and forgotten
for probably not less than two centuries.
Twenty-six of these books have now found a
home in the British Museum, and form by
far the most important acquisition in early
English literature made for a very long time.
Two are absolutely unique ; ' The Trans-
formed Metamorphosis,' a poem by Cyril
Tourneur, the celebrated tragic poet, 1600;
and ' The lamentations of Amintas for the
Death of Phillis ' [by Thomas Watson] para-
phrastically translated out of Latine into
English hexameters by Abraham Fraunce,'
1596. Still more interesting, from the fame
of the authors, although one other copy is
known, is the first edition of Marlowe's trans-
lation of Musaeus' Hero and Leander, as
completed by Chapman, 1598. Bound up
with this are two poems by Francis Sabie,
' The Fisherman's Tale,' and ' Flora's For-
tune,' 1595, of which also but one other copy
is known, and which are a sequel to the
same author's 'Pan's Pipe,' already in the
Museum. They are further remarkable as
early examples of narrative poetry in blank
verse. The following books also, so far as
is hitherto known, exist in only one other
copy: Sabie's Adam's Complaint, 1596;
Tofte's Laura, 1597 ; Henry Petowe's Philo-
chasander and Elanira, 1599 ; Nicholas
Breton's Boiver of Delights, 1597 ; No
Whippinge nor Trippinge, 1601 ; Old Mad-
cappes New Gaily - Mauf ray, 1602; and
Honest Counsaile, 1605 ; Hake's Newes out
of Powles Churchy arde, 1579; Platoes Cap,
1604 ; Anton's Moriomachia, 161 3 ; Thomas
Edwards' Cephalus and Procris, printed with
his Narcissus ; and Robert Southwell's A
Fourefold Meditation of the foure last things.
The last two unfortunately are mere frag-
ments in the Isham copies. Of books of
which two other copies are known, the
Museum has acquired Nicholas Breton's
Merrie dialogue betwixt tlie Taker and Mis-
taker, 1603 ; The Whipper of the Satyre his
penance in a white sheete, 1601, attributed to
Marston, the dramatic poet ; Greene's
Arbasto, first edition, 1584 ; and an Epicedion
on Lady Helen Branch, 1594, subscribed W.
Har., and remarkable for containing an



allusion to Shakespeare's Lucrece. Of
Guilpin's Skialethcia, 1598, three other copies
are known.

| $ . 4*

"Apart from this extraordinary acquisition, the
department of early English literature has
received some very valuable accessions during
the past year. Two books are absolutely
unique: (1) John Heywood's Two hundred
Epigrammes upon two hundred proverbes, with
a thyrde hundred newly added, London,
1555 ; a hitherto unknown edition, proving
that Heywood's Epigrams were published
apart from his Proverbs, and apparently more
than once ; (2) A Manumission to a Manu-
duction, Leyden, 1615, by John Robinson,
the chief promoter of the colonization of
Massachusetts by the Pilgrim Fathers. This
tract has not hitherto been included in
Robinson's collected works, as no copy could
be met with. Scarcely less interesting are
Bishop Fisher's Sermon on Quinquagesima
Sunday, 1525, directed against the Re-
formers ; and one of the two original editions,
whether the first or the second is uncertain,
of Raleigh's Discovery of Guiana, 1594. To
these may be added : Kennedy, Theological
Epitome or Divine Compend, Edinburgh,
1629; Mynshull, Essay and Character of
a Prison and Prisoners, 161 3 ; Boemus,
Omnium gentium mores, leges, etc, translated
by Edward Aston, 161 1; The Hollanders
Declaration of the affairs of the East Indies,
Amsterdam, 1622; and of a later period, a
spurious continuation of the Pilgrim's Pro-
gress, by J. Macintyre, 1682 ; Fuller's Sermon
of Contentment, 1650, exceedingly rare; and
Mr. Baxter Baptised in Blond, 1675, a fiction
apparently circulated to excite animosity
against the Baptists.

& fy $>
"The chief acquisition in Bibles is a very
important one, being a splendid copy of the
rare fourth German Bible, printed by Johann
Sensenschmidt and Andreas Frisner at
Nuremberg, about 1475. Tms is one of
the three rarest editions of the sixteen pre-
Lutheran German Bibles, and is of more
importance than any other except the first,
having appeared with a greatly improved
text which was followed in later editions.
The Dutch Old Testament of 15 18, the
Strasburg New Testament of 1522, the



NOTES OF THE MONTH.



293



Geneva New Testament of 1553, and an
English New Testament of 1578, are also
valuable accessions to the collection of
Bibles.



" The acquisition of the fourth German Bible
is paralleled by that of a Liturgy belonging
to a group of special interest alike for their
extreme rarity and their influence upon the
English Liturgy, but until now entirely un-
represented in the Museum. This is the
group of the seven editions of the first
recension of the Quignon Breviary, all
published between February, 1535, and July,
1536, and so completely obliterated by the
second recension, of which upwards of
seventy editions were published previous to
its suppression by Pius V., that copies of any
of them belong to the greatest rarities of
liturgical literature, and are almost confined
to public libraries. The copy acquired by
the Museum is of the second edition, Venice,
1535- No other copy of thisis known except
that in the possession of Dr. Wickham Legg,
and used by him in the reprint of the
Breviary executed at the expense of the
University of Cambridge ; and even this
wants a sheet, while the Museum copy is
perfect. On the same occasion was pur-
chased a service-book believed to be unique,
the Vigiliae Defunctonnn of the Church of
Cologne, printed on vellum at Cologne by
Ludwig von Renchen about 1485. Im-
portant acquisitions have also been made in
the Breviary of the Church of Braga, Sala-
manca, 1511, the only one of Portuguese use
ever printed ; and a Greek Horologium,
Zanetti, Venice, 1546, unknown to Legrand."



Online LibraryPhoebe PalmerThe Antiquary (Volume 31) → online text (page 51 of 67)