Pompey N.Y..

Re-union of the sons and daughters of the old town of Pompey, held at Pompey Hill, June 29, 1871, proceedings of the meeting, speeches, toasts and other incidents of the occasion. Also, a history of the town, reminiscences and biogrpahical sketches of its early inhabitants online

. (page 31 of 35)
Online LibraryPompey N.Y.Re-union of the sons and daughters of the old town of Pompey, held at Pompey Hill, June 29, 1871, proceedings of the meeting, speeches, toasts and other incidents of the occasion. Also, a history of the town, reminiscences and biogrpahical sketches of its early inhabitants → online text (page 31 of 35)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Harriet.



Digitized by Microsoft®



THE POMPET RE-UNION. 369

Augustus purchased a farm of 410 acres and lived on the
east side of the road south of where A. C. Sloan now re-
sides, from 1810 to about 1823. "While in Pompey, he en-
gaged in the pursuit of agriculture and droving, and about
the latter date, he disposed of his farm and moved to Syra-
cuse, and became inspector of salt. After a residence in
Syracuse offive years, he returned to Pompey, and remained
till about the year 1833, when he returned to the place of
his birth, and died about the year 1852, and as before rela-
ted, was buried within a mile of his birth place. His wife
died in 1825, and her remains repose in the cemetery at
Pompey Hill. Mr. "Wheaton was a man of energy and
public spirit, always interested to advance and better the
condition of his town. He was a leading man in building
the first Congregational church in Pompey.

Orlin J. Weaton, the eldest son of Augustus, married
Sophronia Stone, of New Milford, Conn., in 1821. They
have reared a large family, all of whom were born in Pom-
pey. These are Lucinda, wife of 0. C. Pratt, of Pompey.
Leman S., who died at the age of six years ; Daniel G., who
married Mary, second daughter of David F. Dodge, late of
Pempey, Delia, wife of the late Geo. B. Senter, of Cleve-
land, Ohio, Ellen M. wife ot H. B. Dodge, of Skaneateles,
N. Y. Flora, wife of John 0. Grannis, a lawyer of Cleve-
land, Ohio ; Francis, wife of Dr. 0. G. Dibble, of Pompey,
and Garret S., of Cleveland, Ohio. Mr. Orlin J. Wheaton
has led a very active life. He has mostly been engaged in
agricultural pursuits, but for many years was a drover, and
ale such has traveled over very much of the western coun-
try, and especially Ohio.

Flora Wheaton, the second child of Augustus, married
Moses Seymour Marsh, who came to Pompey, in 1816. Mr.
Marsh was a clerk for his uncle, Henry Seymour, the father
ot Gov. Seymour, and he subsequently owned the store
which he purchased of his uncle, and Horace Wheaton be-
eame his clerk, and in turn became the purchaser of the
store, which he continued to occupy till 1846 or 1847.

24

Digitized by Microsoft®



370 THE POMPEY RE-UNION.

Seymour Marsh built the stone store uow owned and oc-
cupied by Capt. John J. Taylor, upon the site of the old
Henry Seymour store. The children of Seymour and Flora
Marsh, were Henry S. Marsh, now of New York, Clarissa,
wife of E. S. Dawson, Treasurer of Onondago Co. Savings
Bank, of Syracuse; Eichard Marsh, of New York; Flora
Marsh and Charles Marsh, of Cleveland, Ohio; and George
Marsh, of New York.

Julia "Wheaton, the third child of Augustus, married
Eichard Cuyler, of Aurora, N. Y., who went into business
at Vienna, N. Y., and there died. Their children were
Mary, wife of Hon. E. H. Duell, of Cortland, K Y. Louisa
wife of Giles Lawrence, of Philadelphia, Pa. Jane, wife of
Hon. Chas. Foster, of Cortland, N. Y. Julia and Glenn,
the latter being a resident of New York, and engaged in the
insurance business. Mrs. Cuyler, now Mrs. Lawrence, is
again married and resides in Cortlaud, N. Y.

Horace Wheaton married Helen Webb, of Syracuse, a
daughter of James Webb, who had been County Judge and
member of the State Legislature. Their children are James,
Helen, Edward and George. Helen is married to Mr.
Turner, a merchant of Chicago ; Edward resides in New
York ; George is a traveling agent. Mr. Wheaton has
been a leading democrat and represented the town of Pom-
pe^' for a number of terms in the Board of Supervisors ; was
for two terms a representative in Congress, having been
lirst elected in the fall of 1842. As before stated he purch-
ased the store at Pompey Hill, of Moses S. Marsh, and there
continued the mercantile business till about 1846, when he
removed to S^'racuse, and there he has since resided. For
a time since his residence in Syracuse, he engaged with his
brother Cbas. A., in the , hardware trade. More recently,
be has been a Justice of the Peace, which office he now
holds.

Homer Wheaton is a graduate of Hamilton College. In
1826 and 7 he studied law with the late Victory Birdseye,



Digitized by Microsoft®



THE POMPEY RE-UNION. 371

and afterwards with Judge Nehemiah H. Earll; was admit-
ted to practice and opened an office in Syracuse with Henry
Davis, Jr., son of Dr. H. Davis, president of Hamilton Col-
lege. Subsequently pursuing the practice of law, hut a
short time he became an Episcopal clergyman, which voca-
tion he followed many years. He is now extensively en-
gaged in agricultural pursuits, and devoted to the produc-
tion of fine stock. He mai'ried Louisa, daughter of Judge
Isaac Smith, of Dutchess County. Judge Charles Wheaton
of Poughkeepsie, is his son.

Louisa Wheaton, married John Flemming, late of Man-
lius, N. Y. He was a lawyer, Surrogate of Onondaga
County, Lidian agent and Master in Chancery. Their
children were John, Louisa and Mary, who are dead, and
Elizabeth who is married and resides in Tennessee, and
Flora who resides in Washington, D. C.

Charles A. Wheaton married Ellen Birdseye, daughter of
Hon. A^ictory Birdseye, late of Pompey. They had twelve
children, as folloAvs : Cornelia, wife of Frederick Ayer, of
Lowell, Mass., Ellen L. wife of Dr. A. E. Morgan, late of
Sj'racuse, now of Astoria, Longlsland ; Edward of SanFran-
cisco, Cal, in the Express and Banking busuiess of Wells,
Fargo & Co. Homer, who is dead. Emma C, principal of
the St. Paul, Minn. , Young Ladies' Seminary. Clara who is
in San Francisco, Cal., teaching. Florence B. Wheaton,
Lucia C, a teacher at St. Paul. Henry B. Wheaton, a stu-
dent at law, Boston, Mass. Mary H., wife of Mr. Kittridge,
a lawyer of Boston, Mass. Charles A., now of Harvard Uni-
versity, and Mabel F. who is at her fathers, ]Srorthfield,Minn.

Mr. Wheaton married a second time, his first wife having
died Dec. 1858. His second wife was a Mrs. Wagoner,
whose maiden name was Archibald. By her he has five
children, all living at home with their parents. Mr. Whea-
ton, while a resident of Syracuse, was a successful merchant
at first ill the dry goods and subsequently in the hardware
trade. Several years ago, he went south and engaged in



Digitized by Microsoft®



372 THE POMPEY EE-UNION.

the . construction of a railroad. In this enterprise he was
unfortunate. Subsequently he went to Minnesota, where he
now resides. He has held many positions of public trust,
and is now editor of the Rice County Journal.

Sheldon ■Wheaton, the first child of Augustus, born in
Pompey, died from being scalded, at the age of two years.

Elvira V/heaton, married, being the second wife of John
Flemming, by whom she had two children, Caroline and
William. Caroline is the wife of John A. Baker, of Seneca
Falls, William is in the express business at Coxsackie,
K Y.

Caroline Wheaton, married a Mr. Clark, of Montezuma,
who is now dead. She resides in ISTew York, and has two
children, James and Caroline Clark; James is a merchant in
JSTew York, and Caroline is with her mother.

Harriet Wheaton, married Geo. B. Walter, late of Syra-
cuse, but now residing at Astoria, Long Island. He is a
lawyer, doing business in ]Srew York. They have three boys
one of whom is at the Cornell University.



TABOR D. WILLIAMS.
Mr. Williams was not among the Pioneer settlers of
Pompey, having emigrated to Pompey in 183L His family
consisted of his wife, whose maiden name was Miss Lydia
Goodrich, formerly of Lenox, Berkshire Co., Mass., and his
two sons George H., and Charles T. Williams, aged respec-
tively nine and six years. Mr. WiUiams was a shoemaker,
and followed that occupation for several years, after he came
to Pompey. His eldest son George H. Williams, entered
Pompey Academy at the age of 14 years, and remained
there four years under the tuition, of the late Samuel S.
Stebbins, an accomplished teacher, scholar and gentleman.
At the close of his academic course, he entered the law
office of the late Hon. Daniel Gott, of Pompey. Three
years thereafter and in the year 1844, he was admitted to

Digitized by Microsoft®



THE POMPET RE-UNION. 373

the bar at Syracuse ; in September of the same year, he
went to Iowa and entered the office of Hon. D. F. Miller, at
Fort Madison; in 1846 he was elected to the convention
which framed the constitution of Iowa, serving on the com-
mittee which reported that instrument. On the admission
of the State into the Union, he was elected Chief Justice of
tne Supreme Court; in 1852 he was elected presidential
elector, on the democratic ticket and cast his vote for Pierce,
carrying the vote of the State to "Washington as messenger
of the Electoral College. On his way home he received in-
telligence, of his appointment to the Chief Justiceship of
Oregon Territory, by the new President. In 1857 he was
re-appointed to this office, by President Buchanan; he was
also elected delegate to the convention, which framed the
constitution of Oregon, two years thereafter, he resigned the
Judgeship and resumed, the practice of law at Portland. In
1864 he was elected United States Senator, from Oregon
and served the fall term. At the expiration of his Senato-
rial term, he was appointed by President Grant, to serve as
a member of the Joint High Commission, which convened
at "Washington for the settlement of the Alabama Claims,
his last appointment, recently receive<l from President
Grant, being to fill the office of Attorney General of the
United States. In 1850 he was married to the daughter, of
General V. P. Van Antwerp, of Keokuk, Iowa, who died in
1863, and he contracted a second matrimonial alliance, with
Mrs. Kate George, of Oregon in 1867. Mr. "Williams second
son Charles F., is by occupation a harness-maker and resides
atHoneoye, Monroe Co., N. Y. Mr Tabor D. Williams and
his wife, are still living in Pompey and are very proud, of
the high position their son George has attained



THE FARGO FAMILY.

William C. Fargo.
The biography of no family identified with the history of
old Pompey more clearly illustrates the adrantages of a re-
publican form of government, than that of "William C. Far-

Digitized by Microsoft®



374 THE POMPEY RE-UNION.

o-o. His father, whose surname was also "William, was a
descendant of Moses Fargo (or Firgo as it was often written),
who emigrated from England to Connecticut, about the year
1670, and settled in New London. The history of New
London by Frances Manwaring Caulkins, published in 1852,
has the following statement : " With other new inhabitants
that appear between the years 1670 and 1700, and to whom
house lots were granted is Moses Fargo in the year 1680.
He had nine children of whom the five youngest were sons,
Moses, Ralph, Eobert, Thomas and Aaron."

The histories of New London and Norwich contain fre-
quent reference to members of this family in connection with
the annals of the revolutionary war. William C, at the age
of seventeen, was among the first to enlist, and he served
faithfully during the whole of the memorable struggle for
independence. At the close of the war he engaged in com-
mercial pursuits, his principal business being the shipping
of cattle and horses to the West Indies. For a time this en-
terprise proved successful ; but the loss of two ships during
a storm}' voyage brought a reverse from which he never re-
covered financially. He died about the year 1800, leaving
a widow and several children, one of whom was William.
0. Fargo, who was born in New London, Connecticut,
March 20th, 1791. Left thus early without inheritance, he
was thrown upon his own resources. In those days, as now,
fortune was to be sought in the west, and having learned
the trade of a distiller, on the 2-3d of January, 1807, he left
Connecticut with his uncle John Ames, emigrated to Ply-
mouth, Chenango County, N. Y., where he worked as a la-
borer, until the November following, when he moved to
Jamesville, Onondaga county, N. Y.,and found employ-
ment in the distillery of Benjamin Sandford.

He remained in this position until the latter part of the
summer of 1809, when he made his first visit to his uncle
Chappell, who married his father's sister and resided in Pom-
pey. His visit over, he continued his westward journey,
and in September commenced work in Ontario Co., about

Digitized by Microsoft®



THE POMPEY RE-UNIOH. 376

seven miles north of Geneva, for a Mr. Smith. His term of
service expiring the folloAving April, he resumed his west-
vi^ard route, working by the day or week as he traveled, and
reached Buffalo in September. It was his intention to find
employment in a distillery at Eleven Mile Creek; but Buf-
falo offered what he regarded a more lucrative position,
and he engaged as a bar-tender for Robert Cook. Buffalo
was not a populous city at that time, but it .gave him em-
ployment until May, 1812, when he was drafted in company
with James Ellis, "William Adams and John Coon, as a
soldier in the United States army in the pending war with
Great Britain. John O'Connor, of New York, was then
recruiting in Buffalo, and preferring to be voluntary rath-
er than drafted soldiers, Mr. Fargo and his three associates
enlisted for the war in the third regiment of heavy artillery,
under command of Col. Alexander Macomb, who was after-
wards promoted to the rank of General, when the command
of the regiment devolved on Col. George E. Mitchell.

The recruits were first ordered to Canandaigua, but the
4th day of July, 1812, found them at Fort Niagara. On or
about the first of October, fifty picked men of whom Mr.
Fargo was one, were detailed to open -communication with
the Canadian side of the river, so that the troops could be
safely crossed over. It was a hazardous undertaking at the
best, and as the enemy was informed of the enterprise by
sympathizing rebels on this side, the fifty were compelled
to return. On the 12th of October, the attempt was renewed,
only fifty soldiers at first embarking. One boat load was
carried down by the current and taken prisoners. On the
morning of the 13th, under cover of the dai-kness that then
prevailed., the rest of the fifty were able to land, the boats
returned, and as soon as possible the militia under Gen. Van
Rensselaer, were conducted to Canadian soil. About sun-
I'ise, Mr. Fargo was one of the number who forced their
way up the steep acclivity and captured the enemy's battery
on the heights which by this time was being actively used
agaiust the Americans who were crossing the river. A se-

Digitized by Microsoft®



'376 THE PdMPEY RE-UNION.

cond engagement occurred about eleven o'clock, during
whicb. the Britisli General Brock was killed. Mr. Fargo
was wounded in his right thigh, just before the Americans
won possession of the ground. When reinforcements
arrived from Fort George, Mr. Fargo, with other wounded
Americans, was brought back to the American side, and
IDlaced ia abarn with a Mr. Bennett, the log-house hospital
being fall. They remained here all night before their
wounds could be dressed. Mr. Fargo's wound was very
painful, and his leg so much swollen that a council of physi-
cians decided that the limb must be amputated. Dr. Brown
of Cherry Valley, ISr. Y., obtained permission to make an
effort to save the limb, and resorted to a poultice of beach-
leaves and new milk boiled together. No material improve-
ment was manifested at the expiration of the first twenty-
four hours ; but on the day following the beneficial influence
of the treatment was apparent, and Dr. Brown was permit-
ted to take charge of the patient until the following April,
when Mr. Fargo was removed to Fort IsTiagara. llis wound,
however, did not heal until June. On his recover^', Mr.
Fargo had charge of the artiller}' in what was known as
the Block House. From this station in August, 1813, he
kept up an incessant firing on Fort George, for four days.
Soon after this, orders were received for the discharge of in-
valid soldiers, and Col. Mitchell gave Mr. Fargo his choice,
to be discharged, or accept an unlimited furlough and en-
gage in recruiting and apprehending deserters. Ho chose
the latter and was so engaged until the close of the war. It
was while recruiting that in Februar}', 1814, he again visit-
ed Pompey, and from there went to Albany where he re-
ceived orders to enlist no more soldiers. He immediately
repaired to Sackett's Harbor, and was placed in charge of
the Ordnance Department. In 1815, after peace was estab-
lished, still continuing in the army service, he went to the
Island of Mackinaw with Capt. Benjamin Pierce, who died
about 1871. Here he was sergeant-major of the garrison,
under command of Col. John McNeal. In 1816, orders

Digitized by Microsoft®



THE POMPEY RB-UNION. 377

came to construct a fort at Green Bay, at the mouth of Little
Fox River. This work was designed for the protection of
explorers and others against the Indians who were then very
hostile. Mr. Fargo was detailed with twenty picked men
to protect the workmen who were building the fort. Hav-
ing accomplished the purpose of the expedition, he returned
to Mackinaw in July, 1816, and remained there until the
expiration of his term of service, on the 7th of May, 1817.

No longer a soldier, he commenced his journey to Pom-
pey. To Detroit he came by water, and thence on foot. To
!N"orwalk, Ohio, he had the company of James Gates. From
there twentj'-one miles towards Cleveland, there was no hu-
man habitation, and Cleveland, then, could boast of only two
families and two houses, one of them a public one. From
Cleveland his fellow-footman was a Mr. Fellows, and togeth-
er they trudged on to Pompey, where they arrived in June,
1817. Mr. Fargo made a visit to his uncle Ames in Che-
nango County, shortly after, and returned in July. On the
10th of August, 1817, he was married to Tacy Strong, who
was born September 14, 1799, in Hebron, Conn. They re-
mained in Pompey until 1819, when they went to James-
ville, and for the first time commenced house-keeping. At
the expiratinii of a year, they returned to Pompej', where
they resided, in and near the village of Watervale, until the
.s[)ring of 1848.

All their children were born in Pompey, and Dr. Jehial
Stearns who now, at the age of eighty-four j'ears, resides at
Pompey Hill, attended at the birth of each of them. The
following are the names and dates of the birth of their chil-
dren :

A^^illiam G. Fargo May 20th, 1818.

Jerome F. Fargo February 6th, 1820.

Rufus Fargo December 26th, 1821.

Chancellor L. Fargo January 12th, 1824.

Sarah Ann Fargo" March 24th, 1826.

Maryette Fargo December 18th, 1827.

James C. Fargo May 5th, 1829.



Digitized by Microsoft®



378 THE POMPEY RE-UNION.

Charles Fargo April 15tli, 1831.

Thomas B. Fargo May 7th, 1833.

EmeUne Fargo May 17th, 1836.

AVillett H. Fargo February 15th, 1840.

Mortuner H. Fargo September 27th, 1°,i".

While in Pompey, Mr. Fargo was engaged in distilling
and farming. When the office of constable was held in
higher public estimation than at present, he held the postion
for six y-ears. From Pompey, he removed to Cicero Corners
and bought nine acres of land of John Van Bramer. Here
he resided from April 1, 1848, until S'ovember, and then re-
moved to Manlius near what is known as the High Bridge,
and lived there for fifteen years, when he consented with
his wife to accept the gift from his children of a substantial
and comfortable home in the city of Syracuse where he has
resided for the past ten years, surrounded with all the ac-
cessories of a life of ease and repose. His wife died ]!:Tovem-
ber 9th, 1870, and was buried in Forest Lawn Cemeteiy,
at Buffalo, in the lot of W. G. Fargo. Her resting
place is marked by a beautiful monument inscribed
"Mother." Mr. Fargo was acquainted with naanyof the
pioneers of Pompey and his retentive memory of incidents
and his correct and clear narrative of facts, which came un-
der his obsevation, renders it very interesting to spend an
hour or a day with the veteran. At one time he knew per-
sonally every resident from Mareellus to the east boundary
of Onondaga county, and can still name many of them from
memory. He still retains much of the vivacity and humor
of his earlier years, and preserves the quiet and unobtrusive
manner which always characterized him and which always
won him friends.

William G. Fargo, the eldest son of William C. Fargo,
as may be inferred from the statements above, commenced
life financially at the bottom of the ladder, and he com-
menced it practically at a verj' early period. His childhood
was that of the son of a ]aborin2:-man, who was strugo-lins;
under adverse circumstances to make his expenses meet his

Digitized by Microsoft®



THE POMPBY EE-UNION. 379

income. He had the advantages of the country school in
the winter months, and made ordinary proficiency in the
elemental English branches. He learned to read, write and
cipher, and, at the age of thirteen, was employed by Daniel
Butts, farmer and mail contractor, to carry the mail on horse-
back, twice a week from Pompey Hill by way of "Watervale,
Manlius, Oran, Delphi, Fabius and Apulia, back to Pom-
pey Hill, a circuit of about forty miles. This Post-office
business compelled Mm to promptness and. persistence. The
circuit must be rode and the mail delivered in all weathers,
and under all circumstances, and in this service he was
grounded in the idea that when a contract is made it must
be performed to the letter.

From this time until 1835, he worked as opportunity of-
fered for different persons ; but for the most part, for Mr.
Ira Curtis, of Watervale, who kept a country tavern and a
store. In this employment he learned something of the
routine of business, and refreshed his arithmetic in the way
of keeping accounts. He was permitted to attend the dis-
trict school occasionally during the winter months. But
young Fargo's ambition was not to be restrained in these
narrow limits, and his father encouraged him in enlarging
his sphere of action. In the winter of 1835, he made an en-
gagement with Messrs. Hough & Gilbei't, grocers, of Syra-
cuse, which was continued for about one year, when he ob-
tained a better situation with Messrs. Roswell and "Willett
Hinman, grocery merchants, with whom he remained three
years, perfecting himself constaiitly in business habits.

^ext, we find him a clerk in the forwarding house of
Messrs. Durnford & Co., of Syracuse, where he remained
about a year. He was steadily climbing the financial ladder,
and began to think of embarking in business on his own ac-
count. In January, 1840, he married Miss Anna H. Wil-
liams, daughter of Nathan Williams, one of the pioneers of
Pompey. Eight children have been born to them, only two of
Avhom — Georgiana and Helen — are living. Georgiana in

Digitized by Microsoft®



380 THE POMPEY KE-UNTON.

1866 married Mr. Charles "W". M'Cune, who is now a resi-
dent of Buffalo.

Soon after his rnarriage, Mr. Targo removed to "Weeds-
port, and, in company with his brother Jerome, started a
grocery and provision store and a bakery. The business
did not prove successful, and at the end of the first year the
balance was on the wrong side of the ledger.

In 1841, Mr. Fargo removed to Auburn, to accept the
freight agency of the Auburn and Syracuse Railroad Com-
pany, then just completed, and in 1842, he resigned this por
sition to accept that of messenger for Pomroy & Co., who had
established an express line between Albany and Buffalo.
At this time, the rails v;ere laid to Batavia, and express
packages were carried by stage from Batavia to Buffalo, un-
til the completion of the Buffalo and Attica Eailroad. Af-
ter a year's experience as a messenger, Mr. Fargo w^as ap-
pointed agent for the company at Buffalo, to which city he
removed in November, 1843. The Express business was in
its infancy then, but Mr. Fargo recognized in it the ele-
ments of indefinite growth and expansion. In January,
1844, in company with Mr. Ilenry Wells and Mr. Daniel
Dunning, he organized an Express Line from Bufflilo to De-
troit, by way of Cleveland, under the firm name of Wells
& Co. ■ The capital these partnerspossessed, Avas principally
industry, energy and determination. The one who was able
to borrow $200 on a short note was regarded by the firm as a
financitd success. At this time, the only railroads west of
Buffalo was the one in Ohio, from Sandusky City to Mon-
roeville, and the one in Michigan from Detroit to Ypsilanti.
These expressmen employed the steamers on the lakes in
the season of navigation, and stages and express wagons in



Online LibraryPompey N.Y.Re-union of the sons and daughters of the old town of Pompey, held at Pompey Hill, June 29, 1871, proceedings of the meeting, speeches, toasts and other incidents of the occasion. Also, a history of the town, reminiscences and biogrpahical sketches of its early inhabitants → online text (page 31 of 35)