Copyright
pub Chas. C. Chapman & Co..

History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws online

. (page 41 of 79)
Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws → online text (page 41 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


native of England. They are the parents of three children —
Frank, who was born in 1854; Carrie, born in 1856; and Jennie,
born in 1861. Mr. Loyd's present wife he married in April, 1871.
Her name was Elizabeth Rankin. Post-office, Pekin.

Frank HarJand Loyd, farmer, and resides on section 19 ; was born
in Yorkshire, England, in 1854. His parents, Frank and Sophia
(Porter) Loyd, were also of English birth and parentage. Frank
came to this country, with his parents, in 1865. He was married
Feb. 5, 1879. In politics he is Republican. Pekin is his post-
office address.

Alonzo McCain was born in Peoria, 111., in 1839. His parents,
N, H. and Harriet McCain, were from Ohio. He received his
education in the common schools of Peoria. In 1862, when treason
was gaining victories at the South over our Government, he enlisted
in the 85th 111. Infantry, to help defend his country. He served
three years and three months, and during this time laid in i\\e worst
prison pen of the world's history for nine months and ten days.
Yes, for almost a vear he was tortured with all the fiendishness the
ingenuity of those in charge of Andersonville prison could invent.
Language can not convey an idea of the enormity of his suffi^ring.
Perhaps the strongest way we could put it would be to sim])ly say,
he was confined in Andersonville prison. He was married Nov. 24,
1868, to Phebe Davis. They have two children, John, born Sept.
5, 1869, and A. E., born January 6, 1871. Politically he is a
" Black Abolitionist." Post-office, Pekin.

Philip OH, farmer, sec. 13; P. O. address, Pekin. Mr. Olt was

born in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, in 1817. His parents, Philip

and Catharina (Schafer) Olt, were also native Germans. At the age

of thirty-four he thought to better his condition in life by seeking

27



424 HISTORY OF TAZEWELL COUNTY.

a home in the New World. He crossed the Atlantic and came
direct to this county, and purchased the farm upon which he now
lives of James Haines. After farming for four years he moved
into Pekin and engaged in the butcher business, returned to his farm
and again to Pekin. He also engaged in the brewing business at
Pekin. In 1856, after remaining from the fatherland for fifteen
years, he sailed with his family for Germany. He passed sixteen
months there, amid the pleasant associations of his earlier life. In
1858 he was married to Catharina Sherman. The names of his
children in order of their births, are — Catharina, (deceased), Lena,
Louisa, Emma and Louis. Lena is the wife of Andrew Soechtit,
and resides in Pekin ; Louisa is the wife of Wm. Horn, of Chicago.

Philip OR, Jr., son of John and Margaret Olt, and w^as born in
Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, in 1834. He was educated in the
common schools of Germany, and came to this county in 1852, and
engaged in farming, which pursuit he now follows on section 22,
and has been quite successful. In 1856 he was married to Margaret
Pepper. They have four children — Catharena, born in 1861;
Margaret, born in 1863 ; Leonard, born in 1865 ; and Philip, born
in 1868. Post-office, Pekin.

Robert Portufield McClintock is a native of this county, having been
born here in 1841. His parents, Robert and Mary Mc Clintock, were
from Augusta county, Va. All his opportunities for an education
were in the common schools of this county. He resides upon sec-
tion 24, where he is engaged in forming. In 1872, Dec. 9, Char-
lotte Hafliger and he were married. They have three children.
Cyrus Eugene was born in 1873, Letitia Ann, born in 1875 and
Clara Mable, born in 1878.

John S. Ranki7i is a native of Tazewell county and a son of
Daniel M. and Esther Rankin. He received his education in such
schools as was offered him at home. He is engaged in farming on
section 14 of this township. He is a Republican in political views.
Post-office address, Pekin.

John N. ReiUng was born in the village of Hergeshousen, Hesse
Darmstadt, Germany, Nov. 17, 1834. He came to the L^nited
States in 1846 and settled at Gettysburg, Penn., and came to this
county in 1867. The famous and bloody battle of Gettysburg was
fought on his farm. His parents were Wendel and Magdalena
(Seltzer) Reiling, natives of Germany. On the 14th of June, 1870,
Mr. R. was united in marriage with Catherine M. Starck. Their
children are, John Edward, born May 7th, 1871, and Philip Martin,
born March 16th, 1873. The parents of Mrs. Reiling, George and
Magdalena (Morehead) Starck, were natives of Hess Darmstadt.
She came to this county June 14, 1870. She and her husband are
members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church Mr. R's post-
office address is Pekin.

Gottfried Schrech, farmer, P. O., Pekin ; was born in Saxe Coburg,
Ger., March 6, 1821. His parents were Gottfried and Christiana



HISTORY OF TAZEWELL COUNTY. 425

Schreck. Mr. S. received his education in the common schools of
Germany and came to this county July 6, 1855, and resides on sec-
tion 12. His wife, Susanah Eichlieber, became such in 1849.
Their children are — Adam Jacob, born in 1853, Jan. 31, and
Elizabeth, born ]March 22, 1855. He has been connected with the
Evangelical Luthern Church since 1858.

Jacob Stockcrt was born May 13, 1817, in Hesse Darmstadt, Ger-
many. He thought to better his condition in life by coming to
America, which move he made in 1854, arriving in Missouri in June
of that year. He remained there but a little time, ho\\Tver, when
he came to Illinois and located in Tazewell county. Mr. S. is a
well informed man on the general topics of the day. He received
a liberal education in Germany, and, although devoting his attention
to farming, he takes a deep interest in geology, astronomy and other
kindred sciences. He is also a practical mechanic, making articles
of use and convenience for family and farm use. Mr. S. is consid-
erable of a philosopher and enjoys tracing eifects to their causes.
On his farm, section 12, are three veins of coal which are not over
fortv feet from the surface. He has found relics of Indian and sav-
age warfare on his place, which goes to show that the Indians once
had a destructive battle there. In 1845 he was wedded to Mary
Catharina Schwim, who died Aug. 5, 1867. She bore him five chil-
dren onlv one of whom, Jacob Stockcrt, jr. is now living. Mr. S.
is a member of the Evangelical Luthern Church. Post-office,
Pekin.

George Skvhr, farmer, was born in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, in
1825. His parents were George Nicholas and Elizabeth (Hilbert)
Stoehr. He came to this county May 25, 1847, and resides on sec-
tion 20, Cincinnati township. He was educated in the common
schools of his native country and followed the tailoring business
there. Mr. S. held the office of Supervisor of his township for six
consecutive terms. He has been twice married. In 1852 he was
joined in marriage with Elizabeth Eidman. His second marriage
was to Mary M. Weiroch. His children are Mary Ellen, born in
1861; Alice L., born in 1863; Louisa W., born in 1865; George
Henrv, born in 1869; Laura, born in 1872, and Charles, born in
1875.' Elizabeth, the child of his former marriage, is the wife of
Peter Meisinger. Post-office address, Pekin.

Enoch P. Walker. In 1832, while Jesse and Sarah Walker were
living in Shelby county. 111., they had born unto them a son, whom
they christened Enoch. Twenty-four years thereafter we find he
was married to Clarissa Davis, also a native lUinoisan. Their chil-
dren number seven — five of them living, two dead. Their names
are Thomas F., Sarah, Annie J., Emma, Ella, Harvey and Enoch.
Ella and Enoch sleep in their graves. ]\Ir. Walker is engaged in
farming upon section 26. Post-office, Pekin.

Jacob Wcijhrich, a native of Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, was born
in 1832 and came to this county in 1857. His parents were Philip



426 HISTORY OF TAZEWELL, COUNTY.

and Elizabeth (Stoehr) Weyhrich. He was educated in German
schools, and since his coming here has held the office of School
Director. The same year Mr. W. came to Tazewell county he took
unto himself a wife in the person of Mary Kulper. They are the
parents of nine children, three of whom sleep with the dead. These
.are, Louis, who died at the age of four years, John, a baby of four
months, and Catherine was taken from them, a girl of eight sum-
mers. The children living are Philip, born Oct. 11, 1858; Eliza-
beth, born May 20, 1860; George, born April 2, 1864; Peter, born
Sept. 20, 1868"; Eve, born Feb. 18, 1870, and Jacob, born Nov. 15,
1874. Mr. W. is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran. Church.
Post-office, Pekin.

The following is a list of township officials from its organization

to the present time, with dates of the years served :

SUPERVISORS.

Samuel P. Bailey 1850-52 John W. Coleman 1863-65

Lemuel Allen 1853-54 James S. Hawkins 1866

G.H.Rupert 1855-57 Timothv Larimore 1867-68

Samuel P. Bailev 1858 John Ei'dman 1869-72

Samuel Woodrow 1859 George Stoehr 1873-78

James Hawkins 1860-61 John Eidman 1879

TOWN-CLERKS.

James R. Babcock 1854-58 John H. Baker 1868-76

W. F. Copes 1859-61 John H. Baker. 1877

F.B. Chapman 1803-66 T. Larimore 1878-79

Wm. L. Pratt 1867

ASSESSORS.

Thomas King 1854 G. G. McClintock 1865

Geo. H.Pike 1855 E.T.Williams 1866

Samuel Woodrow 1856 Bennett Bailey 1867-68

John Coleman 1857 G.W.Mitchell 1869

Samuel Woodrow 1858 Bennett Bailey 1870

John Coleman 1859 Timothy Larimore 1871-72

EnosWest 1860 Leonard A. Beck 18?8

Thomas A. Orr. 1861 John Hatfield 1874-76

EnosWest 1863 James S. Hawkins 1877-79

Theodore Tharp 1864

COLLECTORS.

EnosWest 1854 Andrew Arnote 1867

Joel White 1855 John Hatfield 1868

ApollasCane 1856-58 George Stoehr 1869

EnosWest 1859 John Lohnes 1870

A. J. Arnott 1860 J.H.Baker 1871

EnosWest 1861 Timothv Larimore - 1874

Thomas A. Orr 1863-64 J. H. Baker 1875-76

M. P. Chapman 1865 T, Larimore 1877-79

T. Larimore I860









MARY M.STOEHR.



GEORGE STOEH R



CINCINNATI TOWNSHIP



HISTORY OF TAZEWELL COUNTY. 427



DEER CREEK TOWNSHIP.

This township received its name from the creek which runs
through it, by that name, and it was christened by Major R. N.
Cullom. James Allaway was the first settler in the township, and
Major Cullom the next. Soon came John Small, James Harvey, A.
Hughes, Eli Swarens, James Perry, James Robinson, James Har-
land, and others. None of these are living, and but few of their
descendants now reside here. Juliette B., daughter of R. N. and
Betsy Cullom, was the first white child born in the township. The
day of her birth was January 22, 1832. She is the wife of Alvord
Parker, of Sedalia, Mo. The first death in the township occurred
in November, 1830. It was the death of James, infant son of
Major Cullom, and twin brother to Governor Cullom. The first
school taught here was by Nancy Parker, on section 27, in 1835.
Rev. William Brown, an M. E. preacher, delivered the first sermon,
at the residence of James Perry, in 1833. There are now three
Churches in the township — Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist.

Deer Creek Baptist Church is located on Wm. Huxtable's farm,
section 4. They have good frame edifice, 28 by 40 feet, which was
erected in 1868, at a cost of ^2,000. The congregation was organ-
ized Jan. 22, 1860, with the following members: C. Shaffer, W.
Huxtable, AV. Lockwood, B. C. Allen, W. Ammerman, Joseph
Green and their families, and others to the number of 35. The
following pastors have served the Church : Rev. A. J. Ammerman,
Geo. Sutherland, W. E. James and H. A. Nixon. The present
officers of the Church are James F. Lane and \Vra. Huxtable. The
present membership is 61, who contribute for the support of the
Church $600 per year. They have a Sunday-school, which was
organized in 1869, with an average attendance of 73; annual con-
tribution, $25.

Deer Creek Presbyterian Church building is a good plain frame,
located on section 8. The pastors who have served this congrega-
tion are W. L. Adams, Rev. Mr. Wood, John Wilson, and the
present pastor, Thomas Martin. The Elders of the Church are
Peter Doward and G. W. Smith, The congregation raises $640 per
year. They have a Sunday-school, with an attendance of 68.

The Deer Creek Methodist Church is located on the northwest
quarter of section 20. It is a good frame edifice.

There are four whole and four fractional school districts in the



428 HISTORY OF TAZEWELL COUNTY.

township. The character of schools are good ; the County Superin-
tendent pronounces them first-class. The streams in the township
are, the Mackinaw river, Allaway's branch, and Deer creek. The
arcliJBologist could find a rich field for investigation in this township,
near these streams. On section 35 is a mound in which has been
found the remains of Indians. Mr. Joseph Dean dug into one of
the mounds here, preparatory to erecting a building. Among other
curious remains was a grave of three diiferent departmen*^^, one
above the other, and separated by layers of clay. In the top one
was one skeleton, while in the second and third were two each.
The bodies appear to have been burned, or else the grave had con-
tained fire before their interment, for there were ashes and coals in
the graves, and the walls of the graves were burned until red as
brick. The bones were quite entire. One skull was perfect, and
every tooth in its place, and retaining their gloss as in life. One
thigh bone was found, judged to be three inches longer than that of
a man six feet in height. Flint darts, or arrow heads, some ten to
twelve inches long, made of red flint, were found. A stone hatchet
with stone handle, solid, and which weighed six or seven pounds,
was found here. Also a grindstone about a foot in diameter, of
same material as the hatchet. A material similar to plush or red
flannel was found with the skeleton in the upper grave. These
were exhumed some fifteen years ago.

Mr. Perry M. Stephens tells of a burying place here, where the
inmates of the graves were hurried in a sitting posture. One, which
was found, had his steel trap and gun by his side. There was also
a lock of hair done up with a little silver band and plate. Upon
this plate was a rude engraving of a woman. We might surmise
that the individual consigned to this tomb was a chief, and the lock
of hair was given by his sweetheart ; and the engraving represented
she whom he loved. These were exl»;,'med near the iron bridge
over the Mackinaw. .''

There is a post-office in the centef 'of the township by the name
of Deer Creek. On section 32, John W. Osborn laid off the town
of New Castle, in 1861. In giving the history of the township, we
would also mention a few of the p*.,'{3ons who have and are making
its history. Among this number we find

Eri Bogardus, residence, section 21. Post-office address, Deer
Creek.

Abraham Chaffer, deceased. Mr. Chaffer was born in Essex Co.,
Eng. March 6, 1806. His parents, John and Mary (Stanley)



HISTORY OF TAZEWELL COUNTY. 429

ChaiFer, were also English by birth. When ready to embark in
life for himself he looked to the United States for a home, and a
field to labor in. He accordingly crossed the ocean, in 1832, and
three years later came to this county. Before he left England he
had learned the wheelwright's trade and worked at it until he bade
his native land adieu. He came here and engaged in farming, and,
until shortly before his death, he continued at that pursuit. He
died March 5th, 1874, respected and loved by all who knew him.
He h id retired from business and moved into Washington only a
few months before his death. He held many local official positions,
and had the contidance of the whole community. Soon after com-
ing to this country he married Eliza Osborn, in New York City.
She died Dec. 19th, 1845. He was again married, Feb. 5, 1847, to
Sarah Huxtable, who was born Sept. 11, 1817, in England, and
came to this county in 1838. She lives with her sons, Daniel, who
resides at Washington, and Elijah, who lives at the old homestead.
Her P. O. address is Morton.

James Cornwell is the youngest subscriber w^e have for this work,
and was encouraged to interest himself in it by his mother, Susan
(Little) Cornwell. His father's name was Price Cornwell, both
his parents were natives of Ohio. James was born in Belmont
Co., Ohio., Aug. 24, 1864, and was brought to this county in 1872.
He is yet a scholar in attendance upon the common schools, and has
a choice for farming. Residence sec. 6 ; P. O., Washington.

Henry Danforth, farmer, sec. 8; P. O., Washington; was born in
St. Albans, Vt., Feb. 26, 1823. He is the son of Jonathan R. and
Amanda (Walker) Danforth, also natives of St. Albans. He came
West when young, and in 1848 located in this county poor, but now
owns 480 acres of fine land. He does not believe in the credit
system and has not asked for credit for twenty years. Jan. 12,
1846, he was married to Abigail Hathaway, of Swanton, Vt.
They have had born to them six children. — Jonathan R., born Jan.
19,1847; Henry P., Dec. 28, 1849; Byson W., Jan. 23, 1852;
Louis J., Sept. 13, 1858 ; James A., April 23, 1861 ; Mary A., Sept.
7, 1863. Jonathan died May 7, 1863. Mr. D. united with the M.
E. Church in 1854; politically. Republican.

William Huxtable, farn sec. 4 ; P. O., Cooper ; was born in
Devonshire, Eng., Nov. <21. His parents, George and Ann

(Rottenberry) Huxtable. English people. They left that coun-

try, crossed'the Atlantic ' ^^^^' were landed on the shore of America
with their eight chi' and by the year 1838 arrived in this

county, where they .d the remainder of their earth-life. He

came here a young "In, and ^ -r a period of over forty years has
lived an exemplary life, honored and respected by all. For a period
of thirty years he has been a member of the Baptist Church, first
uniting with the Church at Tremont. He has served eight years as
Justice of the Peace, and given satisfaction. His life thus fiir has
been successful. He now possesses 530 acres of good land. Jan. 1,



430 HISTORY OF TAZEWELL COUNTY.

1846, he was married to Barbara Robison, daughter of James and
Isabella Robison, of Elm Grove. His wife died and he was again
married, in 1879, Feb. 19, to Levina Culbertson, daughter of Chris-
topher and Elizabeth SchsefFer, of Morton.

John Sampson, farmer, sec. 5 ; P. O. address, Washington. Mr. S.
was born in Penn. in 1818, Dec. 25. He is of Irish-German descent.
He came into Tazewell Co. in 1847, where he has since lived a
respected citizen and kind neighbor. He had only such advantages
for an education as the common schools of pioneer times afforded.
He is married and the parent of nine children, six of whom are
living.

John Small came to this county from Kentucky in 1833. He
was born in Christian Co., of that State, Aug. 20, 1818. John
and Mary (Mason) Small, his parents, were Virginians. John
attended subscription schools when small, and has always followed
the occupation of a farmer, and now resides on the original home-
stead of the Small family, sec. 22, and is engaged in farming. Jan.
13, 1847, he was united in marriage with Nancy Ramsey, Avho was
born Aug. 23, 1827, in Franklin Co., O. The union has been
blessed with nine children — Eliza Ann, born Dec. 7, 1847; Martha
E., Jan. 15, 1850; Sarah A., Nov. 18, 1851; Wm. M., Oct. 22,
1853; Millard F., Oct. 23, 1855; James C, Nov, 2, 1857; Robert
F., Nov, 29, 1859 ; Mary J., Dec. 4, 1861 ; Clara L., Jan. 20, 1869.
Post-office, Deer Creek.

Perry M. Stephens, farmer, sec. 28 ; P. O., Deer Creek. This
gentleman is the son of Milo and Sally (Purdy) Stephens, of
Genesee Co., N. Y., and was born in Muskingum Co., O., Aug. 10,
1820. When but thirteen years old he was brought to this county.
He learned the potter's trade and followed it for some years. At
the time we called upon Mr. S., which was Mar. 29, 1879, no other
man, save Robert and John Small, had been longer in Deer Creek
township than he. He has held minor local offices, but has been no
office seeker. Jan. 14, 1847, he was married to Mary Jane Small,
who was born Oct. 17, 1822. There have been born to them five
children — Sarah L., born Sept. 6, 1848; Margaret A., Nov. 27,
1850; Catharine, Sept. 1, 1853; John M,, Dec. 4, 1857; Robert A.,
April 1, 1862. Two of the girls are dead.

The following gentlemen have served the township, since its organ-
ization, in the various official positions and during the years named :

SUPERVISORS.

Eichard N. Cullom 1850-51 James Mitchell 1865

E. H. Durham 1852 R. N. Cullom 1866

E. Bogardus 1853 Abraham Chaffer 1867-68

Edward H. Durham 1854-55 Alex. Small 1869

James Mitchell 185(i-57 Eri Bogardus 1870-76

John Q. Adams 1858 George H. Small 1877-78

Alex. Small 1859-63 James Mitchell 1879

Eri Bogardus 1864



:^ 5^ ' '"'^h%v



4^





? \/^%



is»-^



R . FRt"^



.^^-^^^



^.




n






>.




^^O^GE NICHOV-^





Delavan,



HISTORY OF TAZEWELL COUNTY. 433

TOWN-CLERKS.

David H. Sherman 1854 D. H. Sherman 1864

T. A.Crane 1855 Tunis TenEytk 1865-70

David H. Sherman 1856-57 Wm. A. Cory 1871-72

Vivian Cloud 1858 John R. Small 187S-75

David H. Sherman 1859 Wilbur Allen 1876

William R. Miles 1860 John R. Small 1877-78

T. A. Crane 1861-63

ASSESSORS.

Joseph Dressier 1854-55 Vivian Cloud 1864-66

Vivian Cloud 1856 T.A.Crane 1867

John Q. Adams 1857 Dennis Osborne 1868-70

Joseph Dressier 1858-59 Geo. W. Smith 1871-74

Wesley B. Harvev 1860 Dennis Osborne 1875-77

David Sherman..". 1861 Wilbur Allen 1878

A. Chaffer 1863

COLLECTORS.

Alex. Small 1854-55 T. Ten Eyck 1868

Joseph Dressier 1856 P.M.Stephens 1869-70

Andrew Muckey 1857 T. B. Lane 1871

David H. Sherman 1858 H. B. Smith 1872

Wm. R.Miles 1S59 George H. Small 1873

Joseph Dressier 1860 John Lavten 1874

H. C Cullom 1861 John R. Small 1875

L. C. Fisher 1863-64 Wm. S. Pierce 1876

John Vancamp 1865 John Minnich 1877

Henry Kingman 1866 Wm. S. Pierce 1878

P. M. Stephens 1867



DELAVAN TOWNSHIP.

The history of Delavan is peculiar to itself. It began with the
Western trip of Deacon Jonas E.. Gale, which was made in 1836.
Having met Mr. Wright, of Dillon, in the East, the latter invited
him, in case he came West, to be sure and make him a visit. Dea-
con Gale, after making arrangements to settle at Alton, started for
home, with the intention of visiting Tazewell county on the way.
He was struck with the beautiful prairie land, which then abounded
in all kinds of game, and he conceived the idea of having a colony,
from Providence, R. I., settle on these lands. At Tremont he fell
in with Mr. Edward C. Delavan, of Albany, N. Y., who took great
interest in the proposed colony. The result was, that an organiza-
tion was formed, with a capital of over $20,000, and 20,000 or
22,000 acres of land were entered. Over fifty heads of families
agreed to come West and settle upon these lands, or to send a sub-
stitute to do so. Accordingly the land was laid off in 160-acre
farms. A town lot of 300 square feet went with each farm, as it



434 HISTORY OF TAZEWELL COUNTY.

was thought the people would want to live in town in winter. The
farms were bid off at auction, at Providence, so much being paid as
choice money, independently of the regular price of the land ; the
amount, in some cases, ran up to $1,000. Henry R. Green, Deacon

L. Allen and Harris were the locating committee, and the first

gentleman named was the financial agent. Two rules of the associ-
ation were, that the place should be called Delavan, and that it
should be a temperance town. In 1837, the company sent out
carpenters and material to erect the Delavan House, which was to
be divided into compartments suitable for family house-keeping, for
the accommodation of the settlers, till they should be able to build
upon their own places. Part of the material for this building was
shipped from Providence, via New Orleans and Pekin, part from
Pittsburgh, Pa., and part came from the Mackinaw. The material
for a few dwellings was brought from the East. W. W. Grossman,
with his family, accompanied the carpenters, and his wife saw no
white woman for three months. She lived until the winter of
1874, and was therefore a witness of the entire growth of the com-
munity. Mr. Grossman still lives, and enjoys pretty fair health in
his old age. Gomparatively few of those who enrolled themselves
as actual settlers came West, and the growth cf the colony was not
as vigorous as had been expected. The Deacon left Alton about
18 months after the first settlement, and has lived in Delavan ever
since. Himself and Mr. Grossman are the only surviving members
of the original colony, James Phillips, another member, was
closely identified with the place, died not long ago. In 1840, Ira B.



Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws → online text (page 41 of 79)