pub Chas. C. Chapman & Co..

History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws online

. (page 48 of 79)
Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws → online text (page 48 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Staiford, 1830; Thos. Burt, 1833; Quisenbury, 1835. After

this, settlements became quite numerous, and the pioneers were
happy and prosperous as the times went. At first the people were
compelled to go to Springfield to mill and for mail, and later to
Mackinaw. In the winter of '31, the time of the big snow, Jos.
Richmond was frozen to death. It seems a daughter of his was to
be married and himself and one of his neis-hbors set out for Mack-
inaw on snow shoes, to get some necessary articles. On the return,
the sndw was soft and walking Tcrv difficult. When only three
miles from home, night came on, the weather became very cold, and
Mr. Richmond gave completely out. Covering him up, his friend
went for assistance. They continued the search till after one o'clock,
but without avail. Next day the body was found frozen stiif, with
part of the clothing removed.

About the year 1841, a store was opened by two Eastern men,
whose names were Armington & Hazleton, and Armington post-
office took its name from the former.

The people of Hittle are largely the descendants of the old
settlers, and are intelligent and well-to-do. At one time every
voter, with one exception, voted the Whig ticket; and now the
place is Republican in sentiment. After giving sketches of its
churches, we will speak of some of the representative citizens at
greater length, for we believe the history of any community is made
up largely of the history of the. live, enterprising men of that com-

Christian. — Hittle Grove Christian Church was organized at the
house of John W. Judy, about the year 1828. The Judys, Hittles,
Hainlines and Burts were among the early members. At first old
Elder Rhoade, of Blooming Grove, preached once a month, at
John Judy's, where also a dinner was served to the congregation.
The society has had two houses of worship — the last one was built
fifteen or sixteen years ago. The membership is not far from 200
— 70 of whom have been recently added.


Hieronymus Grove Church. This church was built entirely by
Enoch Hieronymus, in 1869. Mr. H. thought, in view of the fact
that they were so far from any church, many persons in the neigh-
borhood might be induced to enter the house of worship who would
not otherAvise go, accordingly he bore the entire expense of putting
up the building. Services htwe been held regularly from the be-

31. E. Chiroh. — A society was organized at Hittle Grove 35 or
40 years ago, and among the early members John Burwell, Isaac
Carr, Philo Baldwin, with their families, may be mentioned. About
twenty years ago, Joseph Kelly, Foster Griffin and A. E. Forbes
organized a separate society at Armington, and the old church
thereupon divided, part going to Armington and part going to
Boynton, according to convenience. The present church building
was erected in 1862 ; cost about ^2,600. Membership over 50.

John F. Albrif/hf, farmer, Armington, was born in Lincoln county,
Tenn., in 1825. His father, Jacob Albright, came to Hittle in
1829. He was married in Tenn., to Esther Touchstone. His
grandfather was from South Carolina, and his grandmother from
North Carolina, where his father was born. "When the latter came
to this State he settled on land bought of George Hittle. He had a
family of 8 children — 6 boys and 2 girls. He lived until May 12,
"868, when he died at the age of 72. His wife died in 1855, at the
age of about 65 years. John Albright was married June 15, 1848,
to Louisa, daughter of John Judy. She was born Jan. 10, 1830.
They have seven children, five of whom are now living — Emma,
Jerome, Harriet J., Rosa, Alice, Martha and Clara. Mr. Albright
now lives on part of the place his father owned, and two brothers
live in the same neighborhood. Member of the Christian Church
and a Republican.

Michael Albright, farmer, Armington, was born Dec. 19, 1820, in
Lincoln county, Tenn., (see John F. Albright). He was married
June 4, 1843, to Mary Ann JNIalick, daughter of George Malick,
one of the earliest settlers of Mackinaw. She was born Dec. 12,
1820. They have six children — Ann, Homer, Alice, Charles,
George and Florence. Mr. Albright is a substantial farmer, a man
well informed on all topics of general interest, and one with con-
victions of his own. He is a Republican.

Charles D. Allen, Armington, was born Sept. 30, 1811, in Tioga
county, N. Y. His fatlier's name was Daniel, and his mother's
Anna (Dodd), who were natives of New York. In 1837 Mr. Allen
left Ohio, where his parents had lived since he was twelve years of
age, and settled in Hittle. His parents also came West, and settled
just over the line in McLean county. His father died in February,
1848, aged 83 years. He was married Nov. 8, 1839, to Nancy^


daughter of Henry Hainline, one of the first settlers of Hittle. The
descendants of Mr. Hainline are very numerous in Hittle townshij),
there being five sons and one daughter, with numerous grandchil-
dren. Mr. Allen's wife died in June, 1847; he was married to
Hannah, the sister of his former wife, Feb. 14, 1850. She was born
Feb. 1, 1826, in Boone county, Ky. Mr. A. has five children, two
of them by his first wife. Their names are : Henry, Jessie, John,
Massie and Silvia. He is a member of the Christian Church, and
Republican in politics.

Jas. W. Burt, farmer, P. O., Armington, is a son of William Burt,
one of the earliest settlers of Hittle. He was born May 15, 1844,
and was married to Miss Emma Tenney, of Atlanta, Feb. 28, 1867.
They have two children. Mrs. B. is a daughter of Dr. Tenney, and
was born Feb. 20, 1850. Wm. Burt was born Dec. 10, 1800, in
Scott county, Ky., and in the fall of 1827 settled in Hittle, on sec-
tion 29, where he still lives. When Mr. Burt first came to Hittle
he found a rude little cabin already built. This he fixed up, and
began life in the new country, happy in the possession of a home.
Not long after a man came along and claimed the premises, and to
avoid any trouble or unpleasantness a settlement was made by pay-
ing the party $9.00 In 1829, about Christmas time, and when it
was very cold, Mr. Burt's house was destroyed by fire, together with
all its contents except a little bedding. The neighbors assembled
and by the following Saturday Mr. Burt's fiimily found themselves
once more in a comfortable home. While none of the neighbors
were overburdened with clothing and furniture, they all contributed
a little to assist their afflicted friends. About 1835 he built another
house, made entirely of hewn logs with a board floor, and it was
considered the finest house anywhere in the neighborhood. He was
a great hunter in his time, and hundreds of deer, wolves and fowl,
fell before his gun and club. He was married in June, 1825, to
China Hainline, in Kentucky, and has had eight children, two of
whom died when young, and the others are still living. Their
names are— Elizabeth (wife of Allen Quisenberry) Sally (wife of
William Britt) Louisa (who married Andrew Bowles) John H.,
Polly (wife of Arthur Quisenberry, of Lincoln) and James W.
Mr. Burt's wife died in 1873, aged 63 years.

Enoch Hieronymus. One of the oldest, as well as one of the most
respected families of Tazewell county, is the Hieronymus fiiniily, of
which our subject is the oldest living member. William Hierony-
mus, his father, was born Feb. 13, 1788, in Virginia. His parents
were of English and Dutch descent. In 1811, Aug. 14, he married
Alvira Darnell. He engaged in boat building for a while. In
1818 he went to Missouri and settled on the Missouri river. The
place is now washed away and forms the channel of the stream.
After three years he returned to Kentucky, and finally settled at
Big Bone Lick. This lick is a deep lake of mud and water, the
water being very shallow. The mud has apparently no bottom.


The animals, which in former years went there to drink, sank
down and died. Their bones are so numerous that the place is
called the Big Bone Lick. The bones of many curious animals
have been found there ; and particularly were the bones of the
large mammouth, which was placed in Barnum's museum. Enoch
Hieronymus has seen a bone from this lake, large enough for nine
men to sit on at once. In 1828, Mr. H. came to Illinois. His
family moved with several others. The oldest man in the company
was George Henline. They camped the last night of their journey
in Blooming Grove. The next day they came to Hittle's Grove.
Mr. H. went from there, in October, 1828, to Hieronymus' Grove,
which was named in his honor. Enoch was born in Madison Co.,
Ky., March 7, 1816. He accompanied his father's family to this
county, and has lived an active useful life since. During the winter
of the big snow, they had to pound corn for food. He made snow
shoes that winter out of boards ten inches square, which were lashed
to his feet, and thereby could chase the deer. He married, Aug.
22, 1839, Elizabeth A. Thompson. Her parents came to the State
in 1829. They have never had children of their own, but have
raised the orphan children of James Heironymus, who died in 1848.
His wife died a few months previous. Enoch and his wife took
into their home one girl, two boys and one infant, the latter soon
died. Another infant child, twin to the first, was raised by the
sister of Mrs. H. The two boys and girl grew up and were happily
married. Benjamin R. and Thomas H. both served in the late war,
in Co. A, 117th III. Inf., and sketches of both may be found in this

William Hieronymus, farmer; P. O,, Minier, was born Oct. 17,
1826, (See Enoch Hieronymus.) He was but two years of age
when his father moved to Hieronymus Grove, where he has lived
all his life. He was married in December, 1849, to Lucinda Gard-
ner, who is a native of Ohio. They have had eight children, seven
of whom are now living ; three are married and live in the neigh-
borhood. Mr. H. has a fine farm of 650 acres, part of which is in
McLean. In politics Mr. H. is a Republican ; a member of the
Christian Church.

Thomas H. Hieronymus, farmer ; P. O., Armington, was born in
Logan county, Dec. 18, 1845. His father's name was James, and
his mother's Malinda C. (Thompson). His father was born in
Kentucky, (See Enoch Hieronymus,) and his mother in Tennessee.
They died not a great while apart, the latter in 1847, and the former
in 1848. The children were young, and Thomas, and one brother
and sister were raised by their Uncle Enoch. He enlisted in 1862,
in the 117th III. Inf., and served three vears. He was married
April 18, 1866, to Mary P., daughter of Theophilus Caton, of Mc-
Lean county ; has five children. Is a member of the Christian
Church, and a Republican in politics.

Mrs. Susannah Kampf, P. O.^ Miaier, Mrs. Kampf is the widow


of John Kampf, and was born in Madison county, Ohio, Sept. 11,
1823; Mr. Kampf, in Pennsylvania, Jan. 1, 1817. They were
married July 9, 1840, in Ohio; came to this county in 1844, and
settled on section 10. Mr. K. died March 5, 1875. They had
eight children, six of whom are now living ; two daughters and one
son are married ; and three sons live at home. One son, Marion R.,
was a member of the 7th 111. Inf , and was killed in battle. Wm.
H. was also in the army, having enlisted in the 7th 111. Vet. Inf.,
Oct. 1864, and was discharged July 9, 18(35.

Henry C. Mountjoy, merchant, Armington, was born in Tazewell
county, Nov. 25, 1845. His father, William Mountjoy, came from
Kentucky, and settled in Logan county, near the line, in" 1835. He
was married in 1840, to Sinia V. Thompson, whose people lived in
the same neighborhood. Thcv had thirteen children, seven of whom
are now living. Henry Mountjoy had only a common school edu-
cation, and engaged in farming till about five years ago, when he
embarked in the mercantile business, and is now carrying on a
profitable trade. He was married March 23, 1865, to INIargaret A.
Hawser, of Jersey county; has three children. Enlisted in the 7th
111. Inf. in 1863, and served till the close of the war. Is a member
of the Christian Church, and votes the Republican ticket.

Col. Jonathan Merriam was born in Passumpsie, Vt., Nov. 1,
1834. His father, Rev. Jonathan Merriam, came West in 1836,
and shortly afterward accepted a call from the Baptist Church, of
Springfield. Later he came to Hittle. Col. Merriam was educated
at Wesleyan University, Bloomington, and at McKendre College,
Lebanon. The Colonel has been engaged in farming and stock
raising during the greater portion of his life, and at this time has a
farm of 1,200 acres of land, situated in Tazewell, Logan and Mc-
Lean counties. On the 19th of September, 1862, the 117th regt.
111. Inf. was mustered into service, with Mr. Merriam as Lieutenant
Colonel. This regiment experienced some severe service, and served
till the close of the war. After the war. Colonel Merriam took a
prominent part in political affairs, and was a useful member of the
Constitutional Convention. In 1873 he was appointed Internal
Revenue Collecter for the 8th District, which position he now holds.
He was married June 6, 1859, to Miss B. A. Barland, of McLean
county. She died June 19, 1861, and he was again married Nov.
10, 1864, to Miss Lucy C, daughter of Rev. J. B. White, of Bond

Allen Quisenherry, farmer, lives in Eminence, Logan county ; P.
O., Armington. Mr. Q.'s father settled in Hittle Grove, in 1835.
He came from Kentucky, though he lived in Virginia till after he
was married ; he lived in the Grove about twenty years, when he
moved over the line into Logan county, where he died about the
close of the war. The subject of this sketch was born Oct. 9, 1823;
married November, 1844, to Elizabeth Burt, who was born Sept.
18, 1826, in Boone county, Ky. They have had three children;


two of whom are now living. John W. lives on a farm near by ;
and the daughter, China M., married W. F. Albright and now
lives in Bloomington. The old settlers, living almost beyond the
reach of newspapers, had queer ideas of the progress of the age.
Mr. Q. tells this story of his father. When a telegraph line was
built from Peoria to Springfield, the line passed through Delavan,
and caused no little excitement among the inhabitants. But the old
gentleman was skeptical, and one day said to his sons : " I tell you
w'hat, boys, that thing is all tomfoolery, depend upon it. Talk of
people speaking together, 100 miles apart! why, its rediculous. Its
just some Yankee scheme to make money."

Ellis \V. Roberts, farmer ; P. O., Armington ; was born in Lycom-
ing county, Penn., April 4, 1829. His parents came West about
1838, and settled on the Little Mackinaw. His father, whose
Christian name was Peter, died Feb. 24, 1847, aged 40; his mother
is now living with her son at an advanced age. Mr. Roberts was
married to Nancy J. Judy, May 23, 1850; she was the daughter of
Jacob Judy, and was born Oct. 1, 1831. Her father came to Hittle
with the very first settlers, but he was then unmarried and did not
settle permanently until a few years later. He now lives at Atlanta
in good health. On the last of April, Mr. and Mrs. Judy celebrated
their golden wedding. Mr. Roberts' family was in Missouri eleven
years, and with that exception ]\Irs. Roberts has always lived on the
same place where she was born. Mr. R. served nine months in the
21st Mo. Vol. Inf. Republican.

William G. Stafford, farmer and manufacturer of tile, sec. 9, Hit-
tie ; P. O., Minier. Mr. Stafford is the son of Martin G. Stafford,
who came to Hittle, from Tennessee, in 1831, He died in 1847,
and his wife about the same time. They had seven children ; two
of the sons are in Oregon, and one in Kansas. One of the daugh-
ters is the wife of Lorenzo Hainline, of Hittle, and the other, now
a widow, lives in Bovnton. Mr. Stafford was born in Tazewell Co.
in 1838. He enlisted, Sept. 15, 1861, in Co. E, 7th 111. Inf, and
was discharged Nov., 1864. He was married, Nov. 18, 1868, to
Ellen J. Tefft, and has four children.

Hon. L. M. Stroud, farmer ; P. O., Armington ; was born Sept.
27, 1822, in Dixon county, Tenn., not far from the house of Gen.
Jackson. His father, Thomas Stroud, emigrated from North Caro-
lina to Tennessee in 1806, and married Miss Virginia Thompson,
whose people came from Virginia. While Mr. Stroud was a Jack-
sonian Democrat he did not believe in slavery, and he therefore left
Tennessee and settled, in 1830, in what is now Logan county. He
died March 7, 1858, at Atlanta, his wife having passed away the
year before. Mr. L. M. Stroud did not enjoy very great educational
advantages, but nevertheless he had that energy and shrewd com-
mon sense which are bound to bring success. He has not far from
900 acres of land, and a fine store in Minier conducted by his son.
He has represented his town in the Board of Supervisors, and was


a Representative of the 27th District in the Legislature of 1873-74.
He was married, April 7, 1847, to Miss Elva, daughter of Captain
Adams, who fell in the Black Hawk war at the battle of Old Man's
Creek, or, as it has since been called, Stillman's Run, after a terrible
conflict with the Indians. Mrs. Stroud was born in Bedford county,
Tenn., Jan. 9, 1826. They have a family of nine children, several
of whom are married,

Eton F, Verry, merchant and grain dealer, Armington. He is a
son of William A. Verry, and was born Nov. 23, 1852. He was
educated in common schools and Eureka College. He was married
Feb. 6, 1879, to Ella, daughter of Thomas Dills, one of the old
residents and most influential citizens of Hittle. Politics, Republi-

mUiam A. Verry, stock farmer, Armington. Was born in
Boston, Mass., Jan. 17, 1819. In 1820, his father, William C. Verry,
came to this State and settled in Morgan county, near Jacksonville.
In 1843 Mr. Verry came to this county and settled on section 22,
Hittle, where he purchased forty acres of land. Almost every
endowment necessary for success in business seems to have been
bestowed upon Mr. Verry, and to-day 2800 acres of fine farming
land and a large amount of other property, stand as a monument
to the energy, industry, and good management which have always
been characteristic of him. Mr. Verry was married, Oct. 20, 1842,
to Sarah A. Farnsworth, and four children have been the fruits of
this union. Their names are William E., George, Elon, and Fran-
ces. In politics Mr. Verry is a Republican, and while not a mem-
ber of any church, he always lends a helping hand to every good
cause which comes under his notice.

The following gentlemen have taken charge of the public matters
of the township from time to time, since its organization :


Hesekiah Armington 1850 L.M.Stroud 1870-71

David Mainline 1851-53 Peter Paugh 1872-73

R. B. Marlev 1854 Lorenzo Hainiine 1874

David Hainline 1855-57 John H. Burt 1875-76

Ellis Dillon 1858 John Q. Darnell 1877

S. K. Hatfield 1859 John H. Burt 1878

Jonathan Merriam 1861 John Q. Darnell 1879

George N. Bry.son 1863-69


Jacob H.Judy 1854 H.J.Allen 1869

S.K.Hatfield 1855 J. M. Guv 1870

John Kampf 1856 John Q. Darnell 1871

Jonathan Burwell 1857 James M. Brooks 1872

J. W. Graves 1858 D. A. Dempsev. 1873

Foster Griffin 1859 James M. Brooks 1874

Jacob H. Judy 1861 B. H. Griffin 1875-77

David Allen 1863-65 Ambrose Gilbert 1878

B. H. Griffin 1866-67 Bryson 1879

Will H. Kelly 1868



Ephraim Glolfetter 1854 Jesse M. Guy 1872

David Mainline 1855-57 B. R. Hieronvmus 1873

Wm. Morehead, Sr 1858 J. Q. Darnell" 1874

Caleb Mainline 185^-69 T. M. Dills 1875-77

JohnKampf 1870-71 V.M.Darnell 1878


S. K. Hatfield 1854-55 J. M. Guy 1870-71

JohnKampf 1856-57 Thomas H. Hieronymus 1872

Wm. Slaughter 1858 B. N. Ewing 1873

Daniel Albright 1859 V.M.Darnell 1874

John G. Wood 1861 E. W. Roberts 1875

Oliver Mason 1863-65 D. S. Dempsev 1876

Joseph Kelly. 1866 Joseph Bradley 1877

W. M. Kelly 1867-68 C. W. Roberts 1878

Benj. R. Mieronymus 1869 Johnson 1879


This township was named by Moses Meeker, who, at a meeting of
the County Court, in 1850, christened it Hopedale. This name was
unanimously adopted. When the late Mr. OrendorfF laid oflf the
village of Hopedale he called it Osceola. Upon application to the
Postmaster General for a post-office, he found there was another
Osceola in the State. The village was then changed to the name of
the township. The township is largely woodland, quite hilly, and
the Mackinaw river. Little Mackinaw and Indian creek run
through it.

The first church building erected in the towns^hip was called
Shiloh, and was named by Jno. E. Davis. It was built about the year
1839, principally by the Methodists and Presbyterians. The latter
appear to have had the controlling interest. It was also used as a
school-house for a number of years. It is now known as the Old
Shiloh. There are three churches in the township, and three school-
houses where divine services are held. The next church built was
the Presbyterian Church. This was erected in the village about
1854. It burned down during the past winter. The Old Shiloh
has not been used as a church for 22 years. The New Shiloh was
built by the Methodists about 20 years ago. This church stood
upon the ground of the old one, and it, too, is a church of the past.
The M. E. Church of the village was erected in 1874 at a cost of
$2,400. The first sermon was preached by Hiram Buck, in Septem-
ber, 1874; Il6v. S. F. Johnson was at that time pastor. Then


came Revs. A. Bland, J. C. Keller, and finally the present pastor,
Rev. W. C. Avery. The first baptismal ceremony occurred Aug.
19, 1877, when John Bright and twelve others were baptised, some
by immersion. The first marriage ceremony in the edifice was cele-
brated on the evening the church was dedicated — T. W. Harlan
and ]\Iiss H. P. Coggins were the contracting parties.

The first settler in Hopedale was Aaron Orendorff, who settled
here about 1827. D. W., son of Aaron Orendorff, was the first
white child born in the township. The first Sunday-school was
taught by Jas. McDowell in the Old Shiloh Church.

The old town of Hopedale was laid off Nov. 1, 1853, by Thomas
Orendorff. The new town was incorporated Feb. 22, 1869. The
first Trustees elected and who attended the first meeting were, T.
H. Orendorff, Wm. Neisen, J. R. Ogden and E. Barnum. Oren-
dorff was elected president, Ogden secretary, and Barnum treasurer.
Thomas Smith tells us that the first store opened in Hopedale was
by D, W. Orendorff and Mr. Mortimer. Afterwards T. H. Oren-
dorff formed a partnership with T. A. Smith and had the second

The first meeting for the organization of the township was held
at the house of Mrs. Purviance, on the first Tuesday in April, 1850.
Laban Hicks was called to the chair, and Charles W. Holden
appointed secretary. James E. Davis was elected moderator for the
day. A vote was taken and R, H. Holden was elected clerk for
the day. Township officials were then elected. For Supervisor,
Chas. W. Holden received 27 votes, which elected him by a majori-
ty of 6. For Clerk, Richard H. Holden received 28 votes, which
was a like majority. For Assessor, \Vm. H. Briggs received a
majority of 8 ; and for Collector, Andrew Kerr was elected by 10
majority. Wm. Milner is put upon the records as being elected as
Clerk, which is incorrect. The Commissioners of Roads elected
were: Nathaniel Bennett, Enoch T. Orendorff and G. W. Bryan,
each of whom received 49 votes. Enoch T. Orendorff was elected
Overseer of Poor; and the Justices of the Peace elected were Jesse
Fisher and Geo. W. Bryan. John Bennett and John Davis were
elected Constables.

In order to more fully detail the history of the town and town-
ship we will speak personally of some of the leading and represen-
tative citizens :

Robert N. Barger, M. D., was born in Hancock Co., 111., March


19, 1842; His parents, were John S. Barger, (who was born in
1802, in Va. He died in 1876), and Sarah A. Baker (who was
born in 1803, in Ky., and died in 1878). Dr. Barger has had
superior educational advantages, having attended college in Jackson-
ville, and is a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago, and also
of St. Louis Medical College. During the War he was a member
of Co. I., 73rd 111. Inf. He was Acting Hospital Steward for 12
months; was married Jan. 1, 1870, to Martha S. Poe, who was born

Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws → online text (page 48 of 79)