pub Chas. C. Chapman & Co..

History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws online

. (page 50 of 79)
Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws → online text (page 50 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

membered by the citizens of this vicinity. He came to this Co. in
1831 coming from Ky. He was a native of Maryland, where he
was born in the year 1791. He filled many of the offices of this
township. He died while on a visit to his old friends in Ky. At
the time of his decease, there were then living Mrs. Ogden and
eleven children, whose names were — Lueinda, Nancy, Mary, An-
drew J., J. R., Martha A., Lupena, (?) Henry L., George P., Luti-
tia E., and Ira B. James R. Ogden, from whom this sketch is
obtained, entered Uncle Sam's service in 1865, in Co. D., 152d
Illinois Vol. Was sergeant; was honorably discharged Sept. 18,
1865, at Memphis, Tenn. He returned to Tazewell Co. where he
now resides; in 1852 he was united in marriage to Miss Caroline L.
Beal, a daughter of Moses Beal of Washington, this Co. Five
children have blessed this union, four of whom are now living,
they were — William L., Charlie E., Victor F., Henry, (deceased),
and Anna. Mr. Ogden has held the position of Town Clerk for
some 20 years and most all the local offices besides. He is the
the owner of 120 acres of valuable land.

Willkua Fhillipfi, of the firm of Phillips Bros., owners of saw-
mill ; residence, sec. 3 ; P. O., Mackinaw. He is the son of Andrew
B. and Lydia (Runey) Phillips, and was born in 1839. He received
a common school education, in Livingston Co., 111. He enlisted in
Co. E, 129th 111. Inf., and fought for the stars and stripes. In
1867, March 28, he was united in marriage to Martha J. Fisher.
Their children number five — Mary L., Cyrus D., Walter A., Ord
E. and Lydia M.

Samuel Frobasco was born in Virginia, March 9, 1825. His
parents, Francis T. and Margaret (Higgins) Probasco, were natives
of the same State. Mr. P. received a common school education and
came to this county in October, 1840; settling three miles east of


Pekin, in what is known as the Hodson settlement. The subject of
this sketch was married in 1849, to Eunice Bennett, a daughter of
Michael Bennett, one of the first settlors. He died of the cholera
during the epidemic of 1833, They are the parents of the following
children — Francis, born March 7, 1850, he now lives in Colorado;
James H., Dec. 15, 1851 ; Emily J., Nov. 4, 1854, she is the wife
John Trimble; Charles W., May 12, 1857, died Sept. 23, 1858.
Mr. P. belongs to the Christian Churcli.

Tho8. H. Orendorff, a native of Kentucky, came here with his par-
ents at the age of thirteen, in 1827, almost before the magic hand of
civilization had waved its scepter over the native wildness of the Prai-
rie State. More than half a century has rolled its ponderous wheels
through the trackless starless course of time since Thos. Orendorff
set his foot on the unplowed soil of Tazewell Co. Even at that early
age his keen foresight and shrewdness led him to see that this sec-
tion must take rank among the best localities of the Northwest.
He received his education by private tuition before the advent of
our free school system. AMien about the age of 23, while engaged
in farming in Schuyler Co., 111., he met and loved Miss Letitia C.
Mitchell, whom he married and brought to Hopedale on his return,
about 1843. From this union four children were born, only one of
whom, G. P. Orcndortf, now sitting in the General Assembly of Illi-
nois, is living. Mr. O. did much to advance the interests of this
county, and a few years before his death, which was in Dec, 1878,
he laid out the village of Hopedale, and by his influence established
a post-office there. Nov., 1863, occurred the death of his wife, and
during the year 18(36 he was married to Miss S. Maggin, of Bloom-
ing Grove, McLean county, who still survives him and lives in

Greene P. Orendorf, a large land-o^vner and extensive farmer in
Hopedale township, is the only surviving son of Thomas H. and
Letitia Orendorff, who were among the first to settle in Tazewell
county, and who will be remembered by the early settler as being
closely identified with many of the leading movements which oper-
ated to advance the best interests of the county. Greene P. Oren-
dorff was born in Hopedale in 1844, and after attending the schools
of his native place he passed through Wesleyan University, Bloom-
ington. 111., afterwards taking a commercial course at Bryant &
Stratton's Business College, Chicago. In politics he acts with the
Democratic party, and has held a number of important local offices,
and at the present time occupies a seat in the present Legislature,
having been chosen by the voters of his district as a man eminently
fitted to discharge the duties of that office, and his record gives evi-
dence of the fact that he will not only, with ability, represent his
own party and his own section, but will be found ready to cast his
vote and use his influence for the enactment of any law benefiting
the whole State. A full-page portrait of Mr. Orendorff will be
found in our book.


John K Roach is a native of Wilson Co., Tcnn., where he was
born July 20, 1843; his parents were John N. and Elmira Roach.
The subject of this sketch came to this county in 1867. Mr. Roach
is engaged in the drug trade in Hopedale, where he commenced
business in November, 1877 ; he was with G. P. Orendorif for seven
years. Mr. Roach was sergeant in Co. A, 117th rcgt., for three
years ; among the battles he participated in were Vicksburg, Fort
Deruse, Compte, Cross Roads, Yellow Boil, Pleasant Hill, Tupelo,
Old Town Creek, Nashville, Spanish Fort, and Fort Blakely, and
thirty-three skirmishes. Mr. R. was married in October, 1875, to
Emma Waldon, who was born 1851, in this county. They have,
one girl, Deda May, born Oct. 26, 1878. Mr. R. is a Methodist,
and Mrs. R. a Cumberland Presbyterian. Mr. R. is a Republican.
William A. RoeJffson, former, sec. 16 ; P. O., Hopedale. Perhaps
none of the more substantial agriculturalist of this township are
better or more favorably known than William A. Roelffson. He
was born in White Co., this State, in 1821. He had attained his
thirteenth year when his parents, Lawrence and Mary RoelflFson,
located in Groveland township, this county. Mr. R. received his
education in the old log school-houses that existed in his boyhood
days. In 1843 he was united in marriage to Miss Eliza A. Mc-
Curdy, a daughter of Michael and Ann McCurdy, natives of Penn-
sylvaiiia. During the pioneer days of Mr. R., before and after
marriage, he roughed it, so to speak, in common with his neighbors.
Mr. R. was the owner of a saw-mill at Groveland; in 1850 he
moved to DeWitt county, where he erected a saw-mill near Long
Point, and for sixteen years conducted a successful business. In
1860, having returned from DeWitt Co., he purchased a saw-mill
from Taylor Wright, in this township; he supplied the Illinois
Central Railroad with ties and bridge timbers. Mr. R. has from
time to time, held several local offices. He has a form of 210 acres
of valuable land. Of the marriage above referred to, eleven child-
ren were born, eight of whom are living. Augustus, who married
Miss Sarah Myers ; AVilliam J., who married Miss Rose Walters ;
Rose, who married Robert P. Tate; Henrietta I., who married
Elias A, Wood ; Anna M., who married Mathias T. Wood ; E. P.,
who married Eliza Copps ; Robert D. and Lawrence D.

Israel Sands, former, P. O., Hopedsle ; was born in Jefferson Co.,
Ohio, July 27, 1831. His parents were Thomas Sands, who was
born July 3, 1802, died Dec. 26, 1871, and Jane Sprunce, who was
born in Jan., 1811. She is still living. Mr. Sands came to this
county in the spring of 1855. He served during the war in the 108th
Regiment. Mr. Sands was married to Hope V. Gilmore March 3,
1850. She died Nov. 2, 1860. She was the mother of six children,
born as follows: Frank, Jan. 25, 1852; Townsend N., Oct. 15,
1854; Ida E., Dec. 5, 1856; Mary J., May 20, 1858; and Marcus
and Martha, twins, June 25, 1860; Marcus died Dec. 11,1860.
Mr. Sands was nited in marriage to Lucy Bowser Sept. 27, 1865.






She died Dec. 27, 1867. He Avas again married Feb. 25, 1874, to
Sarali Stewart ; is a Methodist and a Rebnblican.

W'dUaiii H. Schulte, of the firm of Schnlte & Co., genei'al mer-
chants, Hopedale. Mr. S. commenced business here Feb. 12, 1876.
He was born in Germany Dec. 16, 1850. AVilliani and Sophie
(Stockmann) Schnlte are his parents, and both of whom living. The
subject of this sketch was married Nov. 1, 1876, to Sarah Davin,
Avho was born May 1, 1857; she is a member of the Presbyterian
Church; they have one child — Mabel, born Sept. 1, 1878.

Addison Myrtle Smith, farmer, sec. 2 ; P. O., Hopedale ; was born
May 13, 1835, in this county. His parents were John Addison
and Cyntha S. (Floyd) Smith. He is a member of the Methodist
Church; was married Dec. 31, 1857, to Julia E. Stinnett, a native
of this township. They have three sons — AVilliam A., born Dec.
2, 1858; Henrv Olive, born Aug. 20, 1861; Clarence Albert, born
March 15, 1864.

Henry 31. Smith was born on the place where he now lives, sec. 11,
March 27, 1837. His parents were John A. and Cyntha S. (Floyd)
Smith. Henry M. attended school in the old Floyd school-house.
The windows in those days were greased paper, fastened over holes
in the old log building. Mr. S. was married Oct. 16, 1856, to
Mary E. Hodson, a daughter of Wm. R. Hodson. She was born
March 12, 1840. They are the parents of El via C, born ]\Iay 8,
1858, died April 11, 1860; Thomas E., born Jan. 6, 1860, died
March 22, 1860; C. Ella, born May 8, 1861 ; F. Elmer, born Sept.
15, 1864; Eveline, born Aug. 23, 1869; Carrie E., born July 18,
1875. Mr. S. is a Methodist; P. O., Hopedale.

NtUlianiel F. Smith is a native of Kentucky, having been born in
that State Sept. 2, 1833. His parents were John A. and Cynthia
S. (Floyd) Smith, natives of Va. Mr. Smith came to this county
43 years ago. Has held several local offices; was married, in 1855,
to Margaret A. Kilby. They have five cliildren, born as follows —
Charlie A., July 20, 1856; Liona and Livona (twins), April 11,
1859; Miriam, Jan. 4, 1866; Maggie, April 4, 1869. Livona mar-
ried T. N. Sands. Mr. Smith's P. O. is Hopedale.

Robert S. Smith, farmer and stock raiser, sec. 25 ; P. O., Hope-
dale; was born in 1829; is the youngest son of John Smith, a
native of Virginia, who, in an early day, married Miss Elizabeth
Swift. Mr. John Smith moved to Kentucky in an early day, where
Robert S. was born. When Robert was but five years old his
parents moved to this county, locating in Tremont. Among pioneer
associations Robert passed his boyhood days, and grew to manhood ;
during the winters he would attend the subscription schools ; in
1850 he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah C. Bryan, daughter
of W. and Lucinda Bryan. Of this marriage six children were
born, three of whom are living, whose names are — George J., John
A., and William H, Mr, S. made his first purchase of land in


George 0. Wafihhurn, farmer, sec. 11 ; P. O., Hopedale; was born
in Rush Co., Indiana, Nov, 7, 1841. His parents, George and Ella
(Potter) Washburn, were natives of Ohio. They are both deceased.
Mr. W. came to this county in 1861 ; was married in Jan., 1868, to
Susanna Beaver. She is a native of this county. Thev are the
parents of five children — Minerva, born July 2, 1869; Laura, born
Jan. 28, 1871; Nellie, born Oct. 10, 1873; 'Charlie E., born Nov.
3, 1875, and an infant.

*S'. M. WilUarivi, farmer; was born in this county Feb. 14, 1844.
His father, Shadrach Williams, who is well remembered by the
pioneers of this county, was a native of Tenn. He died at an ad-
vanced age in Hopedale township. His wife was Jane Paisely, who
was also a native of Tenn. Of this marriage three children were
born. Shadrach W. was married three times during his long and
eventful life. S. M, AVilliams received a common school education,
and was married in 1864, to Miss Rilla Shipman. They have one
daughter — Sarah J.

The following gentleman have served the township in the various

official capacities named :


Charles Holder 1850-52 Adolphus Russell 1867

Edward Bird 1854 James R. Campbell 1868

Thomas Orendorflf 1855 P. E. Davis 1869-70

Jesse Fisher 1856 Michael E. Pomfret 1871

Eleazar Hodson 1857-60 P.E.Davis 1872

P. C. Davis 1861 G. P. Orendorff 1873-75

Thomas Orendorff 1863 P.E.Davis 1876

D. W. Brhton 1864 G. P. Orendorff 1877-78

Levi Orendorff 1865 E. J. Orendorff. 1879

Wm. E. Pomfret 1866


Richard H. Holden 1850 T.H.Smith. 1864

James H.Flovd 1854 David Boucher. 1865

John Bennett 1855 J. R. O^den 1866

James R. Ogden 1856-61 W. H. Briggs 1867

David Boucher 1863 J. R. Ogden 1868-79


Wm. H. Briggs 1850 I. Orendorff. 1865

William :Milner 1854 Aaron 0. Davis 1866

William M. Briggs 1855 M.D.Davis 1867

Lorenzo James 1856 Wm. H. Roof 1868

John Whitaker 1857 N.F.Smith 1869

Jesse Fisher 1858-60 Jasper Mount 1870

John Brown 1861 A. J. Kinsey 1871-75

Wm. H. Briggs 1863 Jesse Fisher, Jr 1876

B.J.Burke 1864 T.A.Smith 1877-79


William Milner 1850 J. R. Campbell 1865-66

Lorenzo James 1854 H.M.Davis 1867

Alfred M. Davis 1855 George Hines 1868

D. AV. Orendorff. 1856-57 E. Barnum 1869

P. N. Hill 1858 M. E. Pomfret 1870

Thomas H. Orendorff. 1859 Jasper Mount 1871-73

B.J. Burke 1860-61 A.D.Russell 1874

D. AV. Britton 1863 Jasper Mount 1875-79

J. A. Davis 1864



In point of agriculture, of the class and kind of improvements,
and of the wealth and high standing of her people. Little Mackinaw
is second to no township in Tazewell county. It is mostly prairie
land, undulating, and well drained by the Little Mackinaw, Whitten
branch and Sugar creeks. The Kansas City branch of the C, A.
& St. L. Railroad passes through it on a direct east and west line.
The village of Minier is located on sec. 22, on the line of this road,
and also on the Illinois Midland Railroad. This town was laid out
in 1867, Oct. 18th, by Geo. W. Minier, Chas. E. Boyer, and others.
It is now a thriving place, and considerable business is done here.
We speak more fully of the business men further on in this article.
The township is inhabited by a cultured, refined and a religious
people. Good churches, neat school-houses, and the fine commodi-
ous residences on every hand, are unmistakable evidences of the
verity of this statement.

Minier is a very extensive grain maiket. There are five elevators
now in the village, the oldest of which is now owned by Williams
& Quigg, and is located on the C, A. & St. L. R.R. It -.was built
by Samuel Smith, in 1865. It has a capacity of 7,000 bushels. The
next elevator erected was by Wm. E. Verry, in 1874. It also has
a capacity of 7,000 bushels, and located on the same road. The
next one, in point of the date of erection, is located on the I. M.
R.R., and was built by Williams, Railsback & Co. In 1877, Line-
baiger & Johnson put up an elevator, with a capacity of 4,000
bushels, on the C, A. & St. L. road. During the present year,
(1879) R. P. & J. Lower put up one on the I. M. R.R., with a
capacity of 3,000 bushels.

The township was settled at a very early date, by Samuel and
John Stout. It was at the house of the former that the incident
related in the first chapter, in regard to the first marriage license
being issued by Mordccai Mobley, occurred. Soon came Railsback,
Buchanan, Hevenhill and *ere long quite a settlement was made at
Stout's Grove. The first birth was that of a child of Joseph Stout
— name and date unknown. The first death was that of an orphan
child, at the house of Samuel Stout. The first school was taught
by Thos. F. Railsback, on section 5. The first sermon was preached
at Mr. Railsback's house by Elder Ottman, a Christian minister, in


Little Machinaw Christian Church was organized in 1833, in a
log building, and was among the first congregation of this people
organized north of the Sangamon river. The members at the time
were Thomas F. Railsback, Louisa, his wife, A. B. Davis, Catherine
Allensworth, Benjamin Herndon, and Nancy, his wife, Elijah Howell,
and Maria, his wife. Elder James Lindsey was the first minister.
The church edifice is about 36 by 40 feet, and cost $2,100. The
first discourse in this structure was preached by Elder Minier, in
September, 1863, the year tlie building was erected. It is located
near the residence of G. W. Minier. Connected with the building
and grounds is a beautiful cemetery, perhaps the finest necropolis
in the county. The present pastor of the church is Elder R. D.
Cotton. The Sunday-school is superintended by Richard Chapman,
and has an average attendance of 75. The Little Mackinaw Church
is the parent of four other Christian Churches, viz : The Christian
Church of Minier, and those at Mackinaw, Concord and Lilly.

Minier Christian Church. — This church edifice was erected in 1874.
It is a frame building, and is located on South Railroad street.
The original members of the congregation were W. P. Williams, J.
E. Railsback, J. F. Quigg, J. M. Edmiston, and others. The first
pastor was Samuel Lowe, who dedicated the church and preached
the first sermon. The officers are J. B. Chaplin, R. J. Mitchell, J.
E. Railsback, J. M. Edmiston, John F. Quigg, and Asa Hicks.
The present membership number about 130. The value of building,
$3,000; average salary of pastors, |1,000. The Sunday-school has
an average attendance of 75.

United Evangelical St. John's Church. — The church edifice of this
cone-reiration is located in Minier, and was erected in 1870, at a cost
of $2,000. The first sermon was preached by Rve. Witte, who organ-
ized the congregation in 1870. The officers are Valentine Imig,
Sr. Henry Imig, Carl Imig, Ernest Schroeder, and Valentine
Myers. The present membership numbers about 30. The parson-
age is valued at |],500. Average salary of pastors about $400.
There are about 50 scholars in attendance upon the Sunday-school.
The present pastor is Rudolph Mcuk.

Minier M. E. Church was organized in January, 1870. The
original members were T. J. Brown, Wm. Glodfelter, Wm. Morris,
John Burwell, and others. The first pastor was Rev. M. Pilcher.
The present officers are : A. C. Hcnslee and Wm. A. Sallee. The
present membership numbers about 45. The present pastor is Rev.


S. Shinn. The church edifice is a good frame, located on 4th Ave-
nue, and was built in 1869 at a cost of $3,000.

The first school building was a log cabin, erected on section 8, in
1834 ; John Turley was teacher. The scholars were James Lindsey,
Wm. Allensworth, D. G. H. Railsback, P. G. H. Railsback, and
Wm. Herndon. The first frame school-house was built about
1850. It was used as a church at first. School was taught here by
Elder G. W. Minier.

In the town of Minier there is one of the best schools in the
county. It is presided over by Miss Imogene Minier, principal ;
Miss Ida Burrows, teacher of the intermediate department ; and
Miss Kate Denny primary department. The building is located
in the northeastern part of the town. It cost |5,000, and was
erected in 1870. The average attendance is 125.

C F. Albright, clerk and real estate and loan agent, INlinier, was
born in Hittle township, this county, Nov. 1, 1849. He is the son
of M. and Mary A. Albright, the former of Tennessee, his mother a
native of Pennsylvania. He received his education in the common
schools of this and Logan counties. Politically he is " Pepublican
by a large majority."

Jesse F. Beal, farmer, was born in Washington township, Taze-
well Co., Aug. 20, 1842, and received such education as was afforded
by attendance upon the common schools. His parents, Moses H.
and Anna A. Beal, were natives of Ohio. July 25, 1861, he enlist-
ed in Co. D, 7th 111. Infantry, the first regiment raised in the State,
and served three years, doing battle for his country. In 1868, Oct.
15, he was united in marriage with Jane Etzler. She died Oct. 23,
1869. He was married again Nov. 18, 1873, to Sarah Jelly. He
casts his ballot and influence on the side of Republicanism. Post-
office, Minier.

William Bennett, farmer, section 19; was born in Elm Grove
township, Tazewell Co., 111., May 5, 1829, which certainly places him
in the list with " old settlers." His father, Nathaniel Bennett, was
from Kentucky; his mother, Elizabeth Bennett, was from the
Buckeye State. William only enjoyed such educational advantages
as the' common schools of this county afforded in pioneer times.
He has held most of the township offices at different times and
served as Justice of the Peace for nine years. Sept. 3, 1854, he
was joined in holy matrimony with Angelina Kimler. They have
had twelve children — four boys and eight girls — seven of w^hom
are now living. P. O., Minier,

John S. Briggs, stock dealer and farmer ; resides on sec. 2 ; post-
office, Minier. Mr. Briggs is a son of Benjamin Briggs, one of the
first settlers of Central Illinois, and of Tazewell county, and whose
name is so frequently mentioned in the early history of the county.


He held the offices of County Commissioner, County Treasurer,
Coroner, and was Sheriif at the time of his death, Avhich occurred
in 1844. Mr. Briggs, the father of John S., come to Logan Co.,
(then Sangamon) in 1822, and to Tazewell in 1825 or '26, and set-
tled in Pleasant Grove, Elm Grove township. He was a native of
Virginia. His mother's name was Susan Briggs, a Kentuckian.
John S. was married Nov. 14, 1839, to Amanda V. Railsback. Their
children number ten, nine living, one dead. He was born in Nel-
son county, Ky., May 31, 1817; he is a member of the Christian
Church, and politically a Repulican.

James M. Edmiston, station agent of I. M. R.R., insurance agent
and Notary Public, Minier; was born in Bradford Co., Pa., Dec.
27,1843. His parents, Joseph and Sarah Edmiston, were natives
of the same State. He came to the county in 1867, and the year
following united with the Christian Church. He attended the pub-
public schools of his native county, and finished his education at
Wesleyan University, Bloomington, 111. He has held the office of
Town Clerk and village Trustee, and for a period of five years has
been President of the Board of Trustees, of Minier. On the first
day of the year 1868 he was united in marriage with Miss Jennie,
the daughter of Elder G. W. Minier. They have three children.

Baultzer Eversole, Sr., is a native of Rockingham Co., A-^a., where
he was born June 11, 1802. His parents were Peter and Catherine
Eversole, natives of the above named State. Mr. E. came to the
State in 1857, and to the county in 1863. He received his educa-
tion mostly in the schools of Ohio. By occupation he is a farmer ;
has followed the milling business for some fifteen years. Mr. E*.
has held the commissions of Lieutenant, Captain and Colonel in the
State Militia of Ohio. He served as Justice of the Peace of the
same State for six years. Was joined in marriage Feb. 6, 1823, to
.Miss Sarah Huhn; she died, July 25, 1863. Mr. E. was again
married, Feb. 5, 1865. He has been the father of eleven children;
George W. Eversole was killed at the battle of Altona Gap, Ga.
Mr. E. is a member of the Christian Church ; in politics he is a

B. N. Ewing, postmaster and druggist, ISIinier, was born in Butler
Co., Ky., Dec. 4, 1849. His parents were natives of the same State.
He attended the common schools, and finished his education by
spending two terms at Wesleyan University, Bloomington, 111. He
was united in marriage with Alvira Darnall, Dec. 9, 1869, and the
following year came to the county and embarked in mercantile bus-
iness. His home has been blessed by one little girl.

3Iartin Gainer, farmer; P. O., Minier. Mr. G. was born in Ger-
many, and came to this county in 1835. His father, George, and
his mother, Mary Gainer, w^ere both native Germans. He received
his education in the common school of this county, and engaged
himself in farming. He resides on section 35. March 19, 1861,
he took unto himself a wife in the person of Mary J. Bishop. On


the 3d day of March, 1871, she was taken from him by death.
Aug. 22, 1875, he was married again, to Mary J. Lower. He is the
parent of nine chiklren — three boys and six girls — six of whom
are now living.

William A. Glotfelter, tile manufaeturer, seetion 27 ; is the son of

Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws → online text (page 50 of 79)