pub Chas. C. Chapman & Co..

History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws online

. (page 52 of 79)
Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws → online text (page 52 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

for miles. The wolves were driven to their burrows, where the
party succeeded in capturing nine young ones. These were divided
among the party, taken home and trained, and grew to be well be-
haved dogs, save they were bound to live on spring chickens, camp-
meeting or no camp-meeting.

The personal sketches and family history of the following persons
of this township properly contribute to make up its history :

George Ail, farmer, sec. 9; P. O., Green Valley; son of George
aud Mary (Brown) Ail, natives of Germany, having lived on the


river Rhine. The subject of this sketch was born in Ripley county,
Ind., Sept. 22, 1837 ; received a common scliool education, and came
to this county in 1855; has hekl several local offices; was married,
April 20, 1859, to Mary Jane Thompson, a native of" Hillsdale Co.,
Mich. She died Aug. 16, 1878; she was a consistent Christian lady
and a member of the Christian Church. They were the parents of
Henrict E., born Jan. 21, 1860; Lilly Olive, born Sept. 30, 1863;
George Leander, Feb. 28, 1866; Jennie Maud, July 27, 1875.

Joseph Ary, farmer, sec. 8 ; was born in White Co., near Carmi^
this State, Oct. 20, 1820. His parents, George Ary and Susan
Dosier, his wife, were natives of Virginia. Joseph received a com-
mon school education, and M-hile quite young worked at the cooper's
trade ; has served his county in several local official positions ; was
married, in 1839, to Frances Griffin, a native of Ky. The union
has been blessed with nine children, only three of whom are living.
They were born as follows: Lucinda,* Aug. 13, 1840; J. Henry,*
Sept. 6, 1842; John Anderson, Feb. 5, 1845; Mary A.,* April 13,
1847; Millessa,* Aug. 8, 1849; Minerva A., Aug. 14, 1852; Geo.
Alonso, Nov. 13, 1855; Presilla,* Feb. 2, 1859. Those marked *
are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. iVry have been members of the Chris-
tian Church for 30 years. His grand parent, Adam Dosier, served
in the Continental army for seven years under Washington ; Mr.
Ary remembers distinctly of hearing him recite the many exciting
times he had witnessed, and many hardshi])s he went through, in the
war for Independence. He died in White Co., 111., at a very ad-
vanced age.

Jerome Boyiaparte Bailey, farmer and blacksmith, sec. 11 ; P. O.,
Green Valley; was born in Hillsboro, N. H., May 31, 1839. His
parents are Josiah Gordon and Catharine (Barnes) Bailey. Jerome
B. came to this county in 1853, attended school at Pekin, and ^vas
married, July 7, 1864, to Ada Noel, of Green Co., 111. They have
two daughters, Jesse N., born Oct. 23, 1869, and Mabel Lee, born
March 16, 1875. Mr. B. is paying special attention to the culture
of strawberries. In 1878 he raised on a small ])atch 54 bushels,
being at the rate of 675 bushels per acre. He has If acres, which
is a very large strawberry bed.

William Boyer, a native of Frederick Co., Md., where he was born
in 1816. His parents were Peter and Catharine (Runkles) Boyer,
natives of Germany. Mr. Boyer, with his parents, moved to Ohio
in 1836 and settled in Muskingum Co. He arrived in this county
in the year 1848, and located 480 acres of choice land. He has
been a pioneer of two States. He has lived to see this county grow
to its present populous and prosperous condition, and is now pre-
pared to pass the remainder of his eventful life happily. He was
married to Lucinda Day in April, 1836. They have been the pa-
rents of thirteen children. John P. was born Dec. 8, 1836, and he
married Nancy M. Shoup; Susanna, born July 2, 1839, she married
David Jones; David W., born May 23, 1841, married Mary Wise-


man; Margaret Ellen, born June 4, 1843, married Wilson Griffin,
died Jan. 1,1859; Manuel, born Sept. 6, 1844, married Harriet
Dean; Thomas, born March 9, 184G, married Cecilia Worstall;
William H., born June 15, 1849; Lucinda, born July 12,1850;
Jacob, born May 26, 1853; James and three others died in infancy.
Post-office, Green Valley.

John Peter Boi/er, merchant and farmer; P. O., Green Valley; is
a native of Muskingum Co., O., where he was born Dec. 8, 1836.
He is the oldest son of AVilliam and Lucinda Boyer. For an edu-
cation he enjoyed only the advantages of the common school. He
came to this county in 1849, and has held various local offices; was
married, in Jan., 1858, to Nancy M. Shoup, a native of Muskin-
gum county, O. Mr. Boyer and his wife are both members of the
Christian Church.

Thomaii Boyer was born in Muskingum Co., O., in 1846 ; is a son
of William Boyer, a native of Maryland, and Lucinda Day, his
wife, a native of Licking Co., O. Thomas came to this county with
his parents in 1849; received a common school education; his occu-
pation is that of a former ; Avas married to Cecilia Worstall, in March,
1876, who is a native of this county. She is a member of the
Christian Church. They have one son, Francis Melvin, lx)rn Nov.
23, 1877. P. O., Green Valley.

Hayes Brownlee, farmer, sec. 13 ; P. O., Delavan ; is a son of
Jos. and Rosanna McKinstry Brownlee, natives of Washington Co.,
Pcnn. The subject of this sketch was born in Marion Co., O., in
1832. The Brownlees are of Scotch descent, and the McKinstrys
Scotch-Irish. John McKinstry came to Penn. from Ireland over
106 years ago. He died at the age of 94. He could remember the
battle of Cowpens of the Revolutionary war. It was near where
his parents lived. Mr. Brownlee has held several local offices ; was
married, in 1855, to Elizabeth Reed, a native of Marion county,
O. They have six children, born as follows: Clark, Jan. 1857;
Charles, April, 1860; Rosetta, Jan. 1, 1863; Mary J., Sept., 1864;
Samuel, April 13, 1866; William, March 13, 1869. Mr. B. came
to this county in 1852.

Bartholomew Buckley, farmer, sec. 24 ; was born in the county of
Cork, Ireland, in 1824. His parents were Timothy and Bridget
(Welch) Buckley. His grandparents were Bartholomew and Joanna
(Murphy) Buckley, and on his mother's side, Edward and Ellen
(Guyre) Welch. The subject of this sketch came to New York city
in 1848, and then to Batavia, N. Y., and to this county in 1867;
was married, in 1852, to Ann Madden. They have had the follow-
ing children : Edward U., born 1854; Timothy W., 1856; Eliza-
beth A., Sept., 1860; Mary J.; George W., 1864; AVilliam H.,
1866 ; Harriet A., 1868 ; Thomas J., 1872. Mr. and Mrs. Buckley
are both Catholics.

^Tohn T. Burns is a native of Carroll Co., Md., where he was born
in 1837, His parents were John and Mary M. (Leister) Burns.


John T. came to this county in 1857, and is engaged in farming on
sec. 2; was married, in 1865, to Ellen Wilson. They are the pa-
rents of Anna M., born Nov. 29, 18()6; Louis W., horn March 2,
1869; Bessie Maud, born Dec. 11, 1876. Mrs. Burns is a member
of the Methodist Church. P. O., Green Valley.

John W. Cline was born in Elm Grove township, Tazewell Co.,
June 17, 1825. He is, therefore, the first male child born in this
county. Stephen Woodrow, to whom is generally accorded this
honor, was not born until Sept. of 1825, three months after the birth
of Mr. C. He has witnessed the transformation of the wild prai-
ries into beautiful homes. Mr. Cline received a common school ed-
ucation, and has held the offices of Supervisor, School Director and
others; was married, 18-47, to Roxana Stewart, of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Mrs. Cline's parents were Joseph Stewart and Elizabeth Grady, the
first of New Jersey, and the latter of Penn. Phillip Cline, of Vir-
ginia, was his grandparent. He died at an advanced age at his son
John's, in Elm Grove township. The Clines are of German de-
scent. Mr. Cline is a farmer on sec. 17. P. O., Green Valley.

Simeon R, Orosby, retired, is a native of Bristol, Ontario county,
N. Y., where he was born in 1806. His parents were Simeon and
Anna (Rice) Crosby, of Mass. The Crosbys are of English descent.
They settled in Mass. at an early day, and then moved to Ontario
Co., N. Y., where the subject of this sketch was born. Mr. C. was
Captain for a number of years in the N. Y. State Militia, and was
promoted to Colonel. Mr. Crosby was married, in 1829, to Roxana
Pitts. She is deceased. She was the mother of — Richard M.,
Russell W., Webster R., Silas H., and Vernon C. Mr. C. is a
Republican in politics. Post-office, Green Valley. His wife was
the widow of George Davis, of N. Y". Mr. C. came to this county
in 1852.

Karl Hoehley, is a son of Gottfried and Christiana (Grumbach)
Hoehley, natives of Prussia, where Karl was born in 1828. He
crossed the ocean and came to this county in 1854. He attended
the German schools for 14 years; was married to Mary Roush in
1859. To them have been born ten children, whose names and
dates of birth are as follows: Elizabeth, Eeb. 16, 1860; Wilhel-
mina, July 8, 1861 ; Mary Catharine, March 19, 1863; Emma C,
June 27, 1864; Frederick, Mav 10, 1866; Jacob Levi, Feb. 21,
1868; Louisa, Nov. 9, 1869; Jidia A., Dec. 21, 1871; W. Frank-
lin, Aug. 18, 1874; Anna R., Feb. 11, 1877. Mr. and Mrs. Hoeh-
ley are menibers of the Evangelical Association. He is a farmer on
sees. 5 and 6. P. O., Manito.

Alexander Demmin// IngermU, farmer and stock raiser, sec. 15;
P. O., Green Valley. Mr. Ingersoll is one of the most extensive
farmers and stock raisers in Tazewell Co. He is the owner of 1245
acres of land, on which he usually raises 70 acres of wheat, 36 acres
of barley, 70 acres rye., 500 acres corn, and 140 acres of oats. He
has on his farm 14 head of horses, 40 head of cattle, and 85 hogs.


Mr. Ingersoll was born in Grafton, O., in 182;). His parents were
Reuben and Christine (VanDuseu) Ingersoll, of Mass. The subject
of this sketch received a common school education at Hinckley, O.
He was engaged in the general merchandising business in his native
State; came out West to this county in Jan., 185G, and has held the
various local offices ; is a Democrat. He was married, Feb. 22,
1853, at Granger, O., to Sarah Vanorman, a native of Ontario Co.,
N. Y. They are the parents of James R., born Nov. 27, 1853;
Georgia A., born June 9, 1854; Edward Y., July 1, 1855; John
Elbridge, Sept. 27, 1857; Hubert I., July 1, 18(j0; Charles E.,
Aug. 31, 1862; Henrv C, Nov. 12, 1867; Ella Medora, June 16,
1868; Doctor Alexander, Sept. 21, 1870; Josie Belle, April 16,

Doctor Benjamin Franklin Ingersoll is the seventh son of Reuben
and Christine (Van Duesen) Ingersoll, who were natives of Mass.
They moved to Ohio in 1816, where the subject of this sketch was
born, at Hinckley, Medina Co., in 1832. He received a common
school education. He arrived in this county on the 29th of Jan.,
1856 ; is the owner of 520 acres of land and considerable stock ; has
held several local offices; was married, Dec. 23, 1852, to Ann Eliza
Johnson, of Ohio. They are the parents of eleven children, born
as follows : Emmagene Z., born, '53 ; Franklin T., born Dec. 13, '51 ;
Josephine A., born Sept. 14, '56 ; AVilliani H., Oct. 5, '58, died Feb.
4,'63 ; Lauretta, Oct. 6, '60 ; INIilton Webster, Aug. 22, '62 ; Fred-
erick L., Sept. 11, '64; Samuel B., Dec. 11, '66; Clara Belle, Sept.
21, '68; Stephen Asher, Jan. 14, '71; James O., Jan. 28, '74.
Post-office, Green Valley.

William Pitts Latham, farmer, sec. 10; P. O., Green Valley; was
born in Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., in 1824. His parents were Hub-
bard Sylvester and I^aura (Short) • I^atham, natives of New York.
Hubbard Latham and Mercy Bennett were his grandparents, and
Hubbard and Ruth Farbold were his great grandparents, who were
natives of England, His great grandfather served in the Revolu-
tionary war as Colonel in the Continental army. AVilliam P., whose
name is at the head of this sketch, came to this county in 1851 ; has
held the offices of Supervisor, Collector, etc. He was married, Dec.
30, 1851, to Ann E. Waggoner, daughter of Abraham and Catha-
rine (Strawbridge) Waggoner, natives of Penn. Mr, Latham is the
father of John S., born Nov. 5, '52 ; Julia, Nov. 8, '54, deceased ;
Ada B., Oct, 3, '56; Charles W., May 2, '59; Laura C, Nov. 15,
'61, deceased; Daniel Lee, April 14, '65; Cassius W., May 12, '67;
Frederick G., Aug. 25, '71.

John M. McDowell, farmer, sec. 25 ; P. O., San Jose ; was born/
in Franklin Co., Penn., in 1850. His parents were AVilliam E.
McDowell and Mary E. Davidson, his wife. John M. came to this
county with his parents in 1855; received a common school educa-
tion, and was married, March 9, 1876, to Elizabeth Irving, a native
of Perry Co., O. They have two daughters, Myrtie Bell, born


March 31, '77, and the baby, born Dec. 21, ,78. Mr. McDowell Is
identified with the Republican party.

Henry Crawford McDoicell, farmer, sec. 24 ; P. O., San Jose ; was ''
born in Franklin Co., Penn., Nov. 12, 1827. His parents were
William and Sally (Work) McDowell. Henry C, attended the
common schools of his native State. He came to this county in
1853, and was married, Dec. 3, 1856, to Eleanor Glud, of Berkshire,
Mass. They are the parents of William H., born Sept. 21, '60;
George A., born June 13, '63 ; Carrie May, born May 14, '69 ;
Charles C, born March 30, '72. Mrs. McDowell is a member of the
Baptist Church.

Thomas McKinsiry was born in 1813. His parents were Mary
(Patton) McKinstry, a native of Penn., and John McKinstry, a na-
tive of Ireland. He came to this country about the year 1773.
They had seven children, six of whom are now living, which shows
that the McKinstrys are of a very long-lived family. Maria, now
72 years old, is the widow of James Brownlee. Rosanna is 70 years
old, and the widow of Joseph Brownlee. James is 68 years old.
Matthew, aged 65. Rebecca, aged 53 ; she is now a widow. All
the above, except Thomas, reside at present in Ohio. Thomas,
whose name is at the head of this sketch, is 65 years of age. He
was married, in 1835, to Mary Ann Graves, a native of Ohio. They
have one son, James F., born June 14, 1850. He served as Justice
of the Peace for 14 years, and has been a member of the Presbyte-
rian Church for 30 years. He came to this county in 1852. Is a
Republican in politics.

George Solon Nave was born in Marion, Perry Co., Ala, March
22, 1846. His parents were Jesse B. and Mary W. Nave. Mr. N.
went through the Sophomore class at Horow College, Ala., and
graduated at the University of Ala. Is now a farmer, sec. 4. He
served in the 20th Ala. regt., C. S. A., as Sergeant Major and Cap-
tain, being promoted for gallantry at the battle of Rock Face
Mountain. AVas married, Dec. 19, 1875, to Ella M. Latham. They
have one son, Hubert Latham.

Joseph N. Phillips is a native of Tazewell Co., being born here
March 19, 1842. He is the only child of John and Catherine
(Stipes) Phillips, who are natives of France, but now reside in
Sand Prairie township, this county. They were among the earliest
settlers. Joseph received a common school education ; was united
in marriage with Miss Emma Crabb. They have four children —
John D., born April 8, '70; Joseph W., born Dec. 24, '71 ; George
Edward, born March 26, '77 ; Catharine Margaret, born Oct. 10,
'78. He is a Democrat ; P. O., Green Valley.

James K. Pagh. Mr. Pugh is a descendant of Jesse Pugh, who
came to America with AVilliam Penn. Ellis Pugh and Phoebe
Copie were the parents of James. James and Joanna Pugh were
the parents of Jesse. Jesse and Rebecca (Babb) Pugh, natives of
Va., were the parents of James K., who was born in Warren Co.,


O., in 1826, and came to this county in 1848. Has held the offices
of Supervisor, Collector, and Com. of Highways ; was married to
Sarah S. Tcnnent, a native of N. Y. They have had born to them
four children, only one of whom is now living. Mr. P. is a farmer
and resides on sec. 10.

Benjamin Strmcbridge, farmer, sec. 9 ; P. O., Green Valley, was
born in Lycoming Co., Penn., May 14, 1814. His parents were
Benjamin and Alargaret (Kiuman) Strawbridge. Mr. S. had only
such advantages for an education as the subscription schools offered.
He learned the shoe-maker's trade. Mr. S. was Notary Public at
Williamsi)ort, Penn., appointed by Gov. Packard ; was elected
County Treasurer of his native Co. in 1861, on the Democratic
ticket,* being the only Democrat elected. He was married July 14,
1844, to Sarah Calvert. Thev were the parents of John B. ; Mary
C; William R. ; Frank B.;' Jesse; George B. McC. ; Mary C. ;
P. W.; Ellis; Smaley E.

Michael Pritc-hard Wolford, farmer, sec. 24 ; P. O., Green Valley ;
was born in Hampshire Co., W. Va., in 1845. His parents are
Peter and Elizabeth (Short) Wolford. Michael came to this county
with his parents in 1855; attended the common schools and learned
the blacksmith trade; was married March 25, 1875, to Mary J.
Metcalf; they have one daughter, lona Elizabeth, born Feb. 24,
'76, and one son, Frederick Marion, born July 23, '78. Mr. and
Mrs. Wolford are members of the Presbyterian Church.

Samuel Mijron Woodrow, farmer, sec. 25 ; P. O., San Jose. Mr. '
Woodrow was born in this county in March, 1855. His parents are
William and Ellen R. (Kellogg) Woodrow. Mr. W. attended
school at Pekin High School, Eureka College, and Peoria Business
College. He is the owner of 501 acres of valuable land, and has it
well stocked and improved. He was married Jan. 31, 1877, to
Sarah Gravett, a native of White Co., 111. They have one son,
William W., born April 24, 1878. Mrs. Woodrow is a member of
the Christian Church. Mr. W. is a Republican in politics.

Edward D. Wordall was born at Zanesville, O., in 1824. John
Worstall, a native of Penn., and Lucy Morris, his wife, and a native
of N. J., were his parents. When Mr. W. came to this county in
1851, he carried on blacksmithing at Pekin and afterwards the same
business at Circleville, and in 1861 he moved on the flirni where he
now resides. He filled most of the town offices, and has been
Justice of the Peace for the past 1 1 years ; was married Oct. 4,
1849, to Mary V. Foster, of Zanesville, O. They have had ten
children — Sarah A., who married William Dean, of Mason Co.;
John C, who married to Manty Debolt, of Ohio, and who resides
in this township; Charles W. is dead; Arrila J., who married
Isaiah Correll and lives in Sand Prairie township ; Celia M., who
married Thomas Boyer and resides one-half mile west of the old
homestead; George F. ; James M. ; William IL, and Lottie who is


The Supervisors, Clerks, Assessors and Collectors who have
served this township from its organization, and the years of serving,
are as follows :


W.P.Latham 1854-58 Jan^esK. Pugh 1869

James Wilson 1859 J.M.Wilson 1870-72

H. S. Latham 1860-64 Wm. E. McDowell 1873-74

Wm. D. Cleveland 1865-67 John Cline 1875-77

Wm. E. McDowell 1868 James K. Pugh 1878-79


Wm. D. Cleveland 1855-58 Henry Glover 1869

C. F. 3uckman 1859 Wilson Griffin 1870-73

Wm. D. Cleveland 1860-63 T. J. Barton 1875

S.M.Webster 1864 Thomas J. Frazee 1876-77

Edward Worstall 1865 Aaron P. McGalliard 1878-79

J. B. Bailey 1868


CyrusB. Chase 1855-57 A. P. McGalliard.. 1870

C. F. Buekman 1858 J. P. Boyer 1871

Wm. E. McDowell 1859 A. P. McGalliard 1872

CyrusB. Chase 1860-63 A. D. Ingersoll -... 1873-74

C. F. Buekman 1864 Emanuel Boyer 1875-76

C. B. Chase 1865 M. Boyer 1877

J. P. Boyer 1866-69 Albert Dean 1878-79


Frank K. Pugh 1856 Hubbard Latham 1863

H.Latham 1858 Ira F. Randolph 1864

Ira F. Randolph 1859 Wm. P. Latham 1865-70

James K. Pugh 1860 Eugene McCord 1871

Wm. P. Latham 1861 Wm. P. Latham 1877-79


Harvey Campbell proposed the name for this township, and in
honor of Gov. Morton, of Mass. A man by the name of Soward
was the settler. He located on sec. 31, but just when is not
known. He had a bearing orchard, however, as early as 1831.
Among the earliest settlers were, Isreal Shreeve and son, Julius ;
Daniel Roberts and sons, John M. Roberts, Ambrose Roberts,
Darius Roberts, Walter Roberts ; Alfred Phillips ; Rev. Wm. Brown ;
U. H. Crosby. Maus Shreeve was the first child born, which was
in the spring of 1831. The first death was Mary Elizabeth, infant
daughter of Rev. Wm. Brown, died Dec. 1831. The first school-
house was built on sec. 4, somewhere between the years 1828 and
1831. It is claimed that Rev. Wm. Brown taught the first school
in his own cabin, in the spring of 1831. The second school-house


was built on sec. 16. All material and work was paid for in the
currency of that day, viz: labor and trade, no cash. This building
is now used as a dwelling by H. N. Crosby. At that date Uriah
Crosby was the frontier settler, and had to plow around and protect
his property from the prairie fires. But the building of this school-
house induced others to settle in his neighborhood.

Uriah H. Crosby came to Morton in 1832, and settled perma-
nently in 1834, erecting his log cabin on the spot where his house
now stands, on sec. 9. At this time a few settlers were scattered
here and there over the county. He came a little in advance l f the
Tremont colony, from New York. This colony entered all Govern-
ment land on the two southern tiers of sections in Morton. ISIr.
C. was busily engaged in making a home in the wilderness, and his
trusty rifle was his constant companion.

In the early settlement of this country it was not uncommon for
children to get lost, yet when they did the intensest excitement pre-
vailed in the neighborhood. When Robert G. Strickland was only
two years old, he started out to find his father. The surrounding
country there was one vast wilderness of brush and timber. He
was soon missed, but no traces of his whereabouts could be had for
some fifteen hours. The whole settlement turned out in search of
the child. Three district schools dismissed, that all might join in
the search. A Mr. Baricks found him over a mile from the house,
and took him to Samuel Tart's, who had just lost a little boy, and
their girl was so glad she had another little brother. Mrs. Tart had
a little niece about the same age of the lost boy, who lived with her.
He was tired and dirty, and his clothes all torn and face badly
scratched. To this day he wears the scars on his face. He was
dressed in the clothing of her little niece by Mrs. Tart, and was
sleeping sweetly when his father called for him. We will close this
narrative by stating that the lost boy is now the husband of the
little girl whose dresses he was clothed with. He resides on the
same old farm, and has seven children, none of whom has he lost
either by death or straying.

The original village of Morton was laid out by J. M. Campbell, in
October, 1850, in the form of a triangle, comprising about five and
one-half acres of land. Since then he has made several additions.
His brother, W. W., together ^^'1th others, have added to the village
until it is a beautiful place, and contains about 300 acres of land.
It was incorporated under the late general law for organizing villages,
and the first officers were elected in August, 1877.


Buckeye M. E. Church was the first M. E. Church organized in
the township. The building, a frame, 30 by 40 feet, is located on
sec. 33. It was built in 1864, at a cost of $1,700. The original
members were : Israel Shreeve and wife, James T. Avers and wife,
Wm. Brown and wife, (Mrs. B. now resides in the village of Mor-
ton,) and Benj. Ayers and wife. The present membership is 31.
The parsonage is located on sec. 20, Deer Creek township ; value,

Morton M. E. Church. — This church is located in the village and
is a good brick, Gothic style, 30 by 50 feet, and cost $1,800. It
was built in 1878. The congregation Avas organized in 1842 by
either Zadock Hall or Reuben H. Moifatt. The original members
were, Father Ratcliif, Wm. Barnuni and wife, Robert Roberts and
wife, Joseph Mitchell and wife, and Abner Mitchell. The officers
are, Geo. Sharp, Robert Roberts, W. P. Rork, C. G. Parker and
Wm. Bennett.

Morton Baptist Chirch was organized March 6, 1851, by Elders
W. S. Bly and G. S. Bailey, with 24 members. They continued
meeting until 1859, when so many of the members had moved away
that the organization was disbanded, and the remaining ones united
with the Church at Washington.

Morton Congregational Church is located in the village, and was
organized in August, 1851, by Rev. W. W. Blanchard. The edifice
was erected in 1870, at a cost of $2,300. It is 30 by 40 feet in size.
Up to the year 1870, services were held in the Library Association's

Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws → online text (page 52 of 79)