pub Chas. C. Chapman & Co..

History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws online

. (page 61 of 79)
Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws → online text (page 61 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

erous sympathy. We have the honor to l)e yours, most respectfully,

Co. F, 8th Regt. Illinois Volunteers.

And so strongly did the tide turn in the lady's favor, that on all
occasions she was sought as the one jiiost worthy to do honor to the
soldiers on their return, and one time the following toast was paid
her : " Our Lady Speaker. May she live to address our soldiers
when they return from the war ; when our spears have been beaten
into pruuing-hooks and our swords into plow-shares." Responded
to by D. C Smith.

In 1866 she united with the English M. E. Church, A little
later she commenced as a teacher in the Sabbath-sc'iool, with a class
of 11 little ones. Being a conscientious and interesting teacher, and
a woman of peculiar sympatliy and knowledge of the child-heart, her
class grew with ra]>idity and soon demanded a larger room, number-
ing, at one time, 400 active pupils, and it is said that in 13 years
half the children in this city have passed through her hands as Sun-
day-school children, aiul the incidents of her teacher-work alone
would fill a volume. In this limited record of facts we have no
s})ace to speak of those qualities which have ever won for her honor
and respect. Pier daughters. Misses Alice and Susie, have enjoyed
unusual educational advantages ; have also made two trips t^ Europe
in company with their mother. Mrs. W. is a ready, pleasin,g' Sjieaker,
a vigorous, forcible writer, and has filled with al)ility every po^'^ion
to which she has been called. Like all persons of progrtssiv^' ind
liberal ideas and fixedness of purpose, she has been the subject of
many bitter animadversions, but through all trials she has borne
herself with characteristic dignity, and, as time has developed, her
opponents have acknowledged that she was right. No one, whether
mendicant or business man, in distress (and many have gone to her),
has appealed to her charity in vain, and were the little "heart histo-
ries," the teai;s that she has dried, the wants that she has relieved,
made known, it would add a lustre to her name tliat time could not
dim. It in the penalty of such lives to meet untold op})osition, and
it is only when the tenderness is of no avail, and the kind words
can no longer be heard, that such lives are truly estimated. But
they are a legacy that make the inheritors richer than seas with
sands of gold.

Charh'8 Young, a Justice of the Peace at Pekin, was born at
Athol, Mass., Dec. 4, 1818. His ancestors were natives of the same
State, and, like most of the loyal sons of that grand old common-
wealth, fought in the Revolution. Both of his grandfathers, elec-
trified by the burning words and matchless eloquence of the
immortal Patrick Henry, sprang to arms at the first call for troops,
and fought tell the close of the war. Charles was sent to Brattle-


boro, Vt., where he received an academic education. We next find
him in New York, where, in 1841, he united his destiny with the
accomplished Miss Read, who, however, lived but a few years.
About 1840, Mr. Young joined the New York Malitia, where, for
his commanding presence and military bearing, he was commis-
sioned, by Wm. H. Seward, a Lieutenant in the Light Artillery.
Leaving New York, he went South, where he traveled extensively,
and at the beginning of the war in 1860, he left New Orleans and
came to Pekin. He was married in 1852 to Henrietta Hanaghan,
who died in 1872, and who was the mother of his six children.

Louis Zinger, whose portrait appears in our Pekin group, was
born at Alsace, France, June 7, 1846. His parents, Barnabas and
Stephania .Zinger, were also natives of Alsace, where Louis passed
his childhood and received his early education, which he completed
at Peoria, where he came at an early age. He came to Pekin Feb.
27, 1874, where he engaged in the monumental business, in which
he has had good success, having, in the short space of five years, es-
tablished a fine trade. Mr. Zinger was married to Miss Catherine
Stalter, and three children gladden their household, who are all liv-
ing, and promise lives of usefulness. Mr. Zinger has held the office
of Supervisor and is at present Treasurer of the City of Pekin. In
})olitics he acts and votes with the Democratic party, having been
elected to his present office by that party.


1849. Mayor— Bernard Bailev. Aldermen— 1st Ward, John Atkinson; 2nd,
David P. Kenyon ; Srd, Wm. S. Maus; 4th, Jacob Riblet. Clerk— Benj.
Kellogg. Treasurer— John Gridley. City Attorney— Benjamin S. Pret-
tyman. City Marshal— Thomas Cloudas.

1850. Mayor— Bernard Bailey*; A. Woolstein. Aldermen— 1st Ward, Peter
Weyhrich: 2nd, David P. Kenyon; ord, Wm. S. Maus; 4th, Jacob Rib-
let;" 5th, John Turner. Treasurer— John Gridley. City Attorney— B.
S. Prettyman. City Marshal— Wm. Snider.

1851. Mayor— Jas. Harriott. Aldermen— 2nd Ward, William AVilkey; Srd,
Stephen Robinson; 5th, Jacob Clauser. City Attorney— John S. Mc-
Intire. City Marshal— T. M. Cloudas.

1852. Mayor— James Harriott. Alderman— 1st Ward, Thomas N. Gill, 2nd,
David P. Kenyon; Srd, James A. McGrew. Clerk— T. D. Vincent.

1853. Mayor— Middleton Tackaberrv. Aldermen— 1st Ward, Thos. N. Gill;
2nil, David P. Kenyon; Srd, R. "Buck; 4th, Peter Weyhrich; 5th, Jacob
Clauser. City Marshal— Wm. A. Tinney. Clerk— W. B. Parker.

1854. Mayor— M. C. Young. Aldermen— 1st Ward, Thos. N. Gill; 2nd, Jno.
W. Glass; Srd, R. Buck," A. Brown; 4th, Peter Weyhrich; 5th, Jacob
Clauser. Attorney— C. H. Goodrich; Marshal — S. P. Higginson.

1855. Mayor— M. C. Young. Aldermen— 1st Ward, Thos. N. Gill ; 2nd, Jno.
W. Glass; Srd, A. Brown,* G. L. Thomas; 4th, Robert Gibson. City
Attorney— Wm. B. Parker. Clerk— Wm. B. Parker.

1856. Mayor— L. H.Wilkey. Aldermen— 1st Ward, Joshua Wagenseller and
James S. Mclntire ; 2nd, Peter Devore and Conrad Westerman ; Srd,
Reuben Bergstresser ; 4th, Benj. S. Prettyman. Clerk— Wm. B. Parker ;
Treasurer— John Gridley. City Attorney— James Roberts.

" Resigned.


1857. Mavor — M. Tackaberrv. Aldermen — 1st Ward, J. Wagenseller ; 2nd,
S. D. Pnterbaugh ; 3rd, A. Haas; 4tl), David Mark; Clerk— William B.
Parker. City Attorney — James Roberts. Treasurer — John Gridley.

1858. Mayor— Peter Weyhriob. Aldermen— 1st Ward, S. P. Higginson; 2d,
Peter Devore and Wm. Devinnj^; Srd, N. Davis and T. J. Pickett; 4th,

B. S. Pretty man. Clerk — Wm. B. Parker. Attorney — James Roberts.
Treasurer — John Gridley.

1859. Mavor — Peter Wevhrich. Aldermen, 1st Ward, Joshua Wagenseller;
2nd, John Sandusky; 3rd, Teis Smith; 4th, Thos. C. Reeves. Clerk—
Wm. B. Parker. City Attorney — Jas. Roberts. Treasurer — J. Gridley.

1860. Mavor — I. E. Leonard. Aldermen — 1st Ward — Daniel S. Reisinger;
2nd, John Lucas; 3rd, W. T. Edds; 4th, Samuel Rhoads; Clerk— A. P.
Griswold. Attorney — James Roberts. Treasurer — John Gridley.

1861. Mayor — L E. Leonard. Aldermen — 1st Ward, Henry P. Westerman;
2nd. Henry Zuckweiler; 3rd, Teis Smith; -Jth, Geo. H. Harlow. Clerk —
A. P. Griswold. Attorney— J. M. Hanna and C. A. Roberts.

1862. Mayor — B. S. Prettyman. Aldermen — 1st Ward, Stephen Roney and
Daniel Reisinger; 2nd, John Lucas; 3rd, Reuben Bergstresser ; 4th, I.

E. Leonard. Clerk — A. P. Griswold. Attorney — Jno. B. Cohrs. Treas-
urer — John Gridley.

1863. Mavor — Samuel E. Barber. Aldermen — 1st Ward, Jacob Clauser; 2d,
George Kennedy; 3rd Teis Smith; 4th, Thos. N. Gill. Clerk— A. P.
Griswold. Attorney — A. Bergen. Treasurer — John W. Glassgow.

1864. Mayor — Thomas C. Reeves. Aldermen — 1st Ward, Stephen Roney ;
2nd, John Lucas; 3rd, John Herget; 4th, John D. Mclntire. Clerk — H.
Yandervoort. Attorney — A. Bergen. Treasurer — J. W. Glassgow.

1865. Mavor— Wm. W. Sellers. Aldermen— 1st Ward, Peter Schaumleffel;
2nd, J. F. Tucker; 3rd, Teis Smith ; 4th, W. Don Maus. Clerk— Wm. M.
Olmstead. Attornej- — N. W. Green, Wm. E. Parker. Treasurer — B. F.

1866. Mayor— Wm. W. Sellers. Aldermen— 1st Ward, John Cohenour; 2nd,
John Berrv ; Srd, John Herget; 4th, James F. Pevton. Clerk — Wm.
Olmstead. ' Attorney— C. J. Elliott. Treasurer— J. M. Gill.

1867. Mavor— C. J. D. Rupert. Aldermen— 1st Ward, Peter Schaumleffel ;
2nd, Wm. Schlagg; 3rd, Teis Smith; 4th, Chas. Turner. Clerk— Wilbur

F. Henry. Attornay — Richard Williams. Treasurer — John M. Gill.

1868. Mayor— C. J. D. Rupert. Aldermen— 1st Ward, Stephen Roney ; 2nd,
August Winkle; 2rd Benjamin Michael; 4th, George S. Smith. Clerk —
Felix G. Knott. Attorney — Richard Williams. Treasurer — George R.

1869. Mayor — William T. Edds. Aldermen — 1st Wanl, Herman Kickler;
2nd, Jacob Klein; 3rd, Teis Smith; 4th, Reuben Bergstresser; .^th, Lott
Bergstresser, James Haines; 6th, Jonathan H. Mvers, John G. Eyrse.
Clerk— William H. AVallingford. Attorney— Collins J. Elliott. Treas-
urer — Charles Young.

1870. jNIayor— David T. Thompson. Aldermen — 1st Ward — Joshua Wagen-
seller; 2nd, W. Weiss; 3rd, D. W. Umdenstock; 4th, I. E. Leonard; 5th,
James F. Peyton; 6th, Charles Young. Clerk — William Docker. At-
torney — A. B. Sawyer. Treasurer — Thomas J. Roney.

1871. Mavor— David T. Thompson. Aldermen — 1st Ward, John M. Gill;
2nd, E. vSchurman; Srd, D. C. Smith; 4th, H. P. Westerman; 5th, Wm.
Blenkiron; 0th, Fred Christopher. Clerk — Wm. Docker. Attorney — E.

C. Brearley. Treasurer — Thomas J. Roney.

1872. Mayor— John Stoltz. Aldermen— 1st Ward, Chas. J. Hulbig; 2nd, D.
W. Umdenstock; Srd, George J. Webber; 4th, W. T. Patterson; 5th, C.
R. Johnson ; 6th, Phillip Weber. Clerk— Wm. Docker. Attorney— T.
N. Mehan. Treasurer — J. G. Rupert.

1873. Mavor— John Herget. Aldermen— 1st Ward, John Hallinan; 2nd, Ja-
cob Klein; 3rd, Habbe Velde; 4tb, G. F. Saltonstall; 5th, W. Blenkiron;


6th, W. L. Prettyman. Clerk— Wm. Docker. Attorney— Geo. Rider.

Treasurer — J. G. Rupert.
1874. Mavor— John Hcrget. Aldermen— 1st Ward, E. A. Hall ; 2nd, I. C.

Frederick; 3rd, John Bonk; 4th, W. F. Henry; 5th, A. B. Sawyer; 6th,

C. K. Myers. Clerk — Wm. Docker. Attorney — W. R. Hall. Treasurer

— Jay G. Rupert.
1875 Mavor— C R. Cummings. Aldermen— 1st Ward, John M. Gill, E. A.

Hall,T. R. Skelly; 2nd, E. Schurraann, H. A. Bruns, Habbe Velde; 3d,

U. G. Albertson, W. D. Oswald, John Scheidel; 4th, G. R. Cobleigh, Jas.

Haines, John Roos. Clerk— J. M. Moloney. Attorney— W. R. Hall.

Treasurer — Oscar Hofer.

1876. Mayor— C. R. Cummings. Aldermen— 1st Ward, H. W. Hippen, T.
R. Skelly, Henry Lautz; 3rd, W. J. Albertson, J. P. Scheidel, Thomas
Schneider. Clerk— J. M. Moloney. Attorney— Geo C. Rider. Treas-
urer — Oscar Hofer.

1877. Mayor — A. B. Sawyer. Aldermen— 2nd Ward, H. A. Burns, Geo. S.
DeVries, John Velde; 4th, J. F. Peyton, G. R. Cobleigh, J. G. Ledter-
man. Clerk, J. M. Moloney. Attorney— G. C. Rider. Treasurer— Louis

1878. Mayor— A. B. Sawver. Aldermen— 1st Ward, E. M. Mulvey, John
Kelch, I. F. Schipper'; 3rd, H. Vork, O. Wieburg, Adam Saae. Clerk—
J. M. Moloney. Attorney— G. C. Rider. Treasurer — Louis Schureman.

1879. Mayor— H. W. Hippen. Aldermen — 2nd Ward, Aug. Winkel, Ahrend
Behrens, E. Schurman; 4th, G. R. Cobleigh, Erastus Rhoads, William
Rundle. Clerk— John W. Hoffman. Attorney— G. C. Rider. Treas-
urer — Louis Zinger.


William S. Maus 1850 H. Naylor 1874

James Haines 1851-52 Peter Steinmetz 1875

Williams. Maus 1854-61 Henry Lautz 1865

William S. Maus, asst 1863-65 Ernest Schurman 1876

Joshua Wagenseller 1860 Wm. Don Maus 1876-77

Peter Wevhrich, asst 1861-65 C. B. Cummings 1876

Martin Stover, asst 1860 Fred Smith 1876

Wm. Don Maus 1866 J.G.Weber 1876

George Greigg 1867-68 Henrv Didcock 1877

Teis Smith, asst 1867-70 John'C. Avdelott 1878

Joshua Wagenseller 1870 Thomas R. Skelly 1878-79

John Stoltz 1871-72 C. B. Cummings 1878-79

John Herget, asst 1871-72 E. Schurman 1878-79

GeorgeGreigg 1873-74 H. W. Hippen 1878

W. Don Maus, asst 1873-74 J. M. Gill 1879

John Herget 1874 J. Lederer 1879

D. C. Smith 1874


JohnGridley 1854-55 AVm. H. Teibert. 1806

Charles Turner 1857-59 Julius Maverhoff. 1867

A P Griswold 1860-61 Charles F." Vatterline 1868

Geo. R. Babcock 1863 Mvron Cory 1870-76

David W. Umdenstock 1864 Erastus Rhoads 1877-78

Harmon Kickler 1865 Charles Young 1879


M. Tackaberry 1854 Henry Riblet 1867

S P. Higginson 1855 Jacob Lucas 1868-70

Thomas C. Reeves 1857 Fred Schaefer 1871-72

Charles Turner 1858-59 H. Lautz 1873

Robert W. Briggs I860 John Wildhack 1874


Richard Shaw 1861 Jacob Stout 1875-76

James Haines 1863 Michael Gallow 1877

Thomas C. Reeves 1864 Jacob Lucas 1878

Jacob Stout 1865-66 David Wandschneider 1879


Henry Riblet 1854-58 Ibe Look 1873

Joseph Stewart 1S59 John G. Kuhl 1874

David T. Thompson 1S60 John Cohenour 1875

John B. Wliitefoot 1861 Phillip Webber 1876

Hugh K.Alexander 1863-66 Thomas B. Dorsey 1877

Hezekiah Naylor 1867-()S Hezekiah Naylor 1878

August Riese 187U-72 U. J. Albertson 1879


The Mackinaw river courses eastwarclly through this township,
dividing it near its center. The groves on the north side of the
river were settled at a very early day. Elisha and Major Isaac
Perkins .settled on sec. 1, about 1824. J^oth of gentlemen were
active, enterprising pioneers, and were prominent in the early history
of the county. Major Perkins was killed in the famous battle of
Stillman's Run, during the Black Hawk war. Isaac moved to
Iowa about twenty-five years ago. They came here from near
Shawneetown, 111. Gideon Hawley came from the East and settled
on the section with the Perkins'. He died on the farm where Jas.
Hamson now lives. Thomas Lander located on section 7 ; he was
from Virginia. Jno. Sommers was from North Carolina; he erected
his cabin on section 1. Daniel Rankin came from Pennsylvanin in
1828, and located on 7. Jolni Shelton came the following year from
Virginia, and made himself a home on 8. James Reese came the
same year, and located on section 9. John Vancil was among the
first to come ; he settled on section 9, and is the only one of the
earliest pioneers of this township now living. He resides in the
town of Circleville. He was born in Penn.sylvania in 1798. When
he was but two years of age, his parents moved to Kentucky. Here
he remained until he was nineteen years old, when he was married
to Miss Nancy Tuley, who was born in North Carolina, Jan. 20,
1800. Her parents moved to Kentucky when she was a child.
Shortly after their marriage they came to Illinois, and to Tazewell

Mr. Shipraan came from Kentucky in 1826, but did not live in
this township a great while. He moved from this into Elm Grove
township, where he spent the remainder of his life. He brought


with him to this township a negro man, his wife and children. He
treated them kindly, and they in turned loved him. They all lived
here in peace and freedom, carving new homes in the wilderness, and
preparing for future prosperity and pleasure. The quietude of the
little settlement was disturbed one dark night, by the appearance
of some slave hunters. There were some men from Kentucky
came up the river, left their boats at the mouth of the Mackinaw,
quietly came over and carried oif the negro family. They were all
tied and hastily run to the river. It appears that Mose, the name
of the negro man, was a singularly constructed negro, and it would
almost seem, as an old settler said, that " he was part aligator." He
had a double row of large sharp teeth. His hands were tied, and
with a rope he was led along. He pulled back considerable, and
lagged behind as much as he dare do, all the while chawing on the
rope by which he was led. Finally he succeeded in severing it,
when with all his might he ran back to the settlement, and informed
his neighbors of the theft of his family. This aroused the ire of
those sturdy pioneers, and, being equal to any emergency, three of
them saddled up their horses, that gloomy night and set out for St.
Louis, anticipating the destination of the thieves. These resolute
men were Johnson Sommers, Wm. Woodrow, and Absalom Dillon.
They pushed on toward that city, and fortunately rode off the ferry
boat just as the Kentucky would-be slave-traders landed with the
family of Mose. This was a singular coincidence, but true, and with
determination that plainly showed he ment what he said, Sommers
jumped from his horse, gathered up a stone and swore he would
crush the first one who attempted to leave the boat, and the men,
who could steal the liberty of their fellow men, were passive before
the stalwart pioneers. One of the pioneers hurried up to the city,
and procured the arrest of the men. We do not know the penalty
inflicted, but most likely it was nothing, or, at least, light, for in
those days it was regarded as a legitimate business to traffic in
human beings. The family was secured, however, and carried back
to this county, where most of them lived and died. All honor to
the daring humane pioneers.

Joseph Haines built the first frame house and barn ever erected
in the county, in this township. The house was built in 1829, and
the barn in 1831. Both of them are still standing, and are yet
good substantial buildings.

It was some years before the portion of the township lying south


of the Mackinaw was settled. It was a sandy prairie, and was
thought to be almost worthless, but we now see some of the best
farms in the county on this prairie. The first school-house erected
south of the Mackinaw was in 1854. The first school in this house,
which was in district No. 5, was commenced Oct. 1st, of the same
year. The first church edifice in this portion of the township was
erected in 1865. There are now several fine church edifices in the

The Presbyterian Church of Green Valley was called at first the
Sand Prairie Church. It was organized June 10, 1832, at Circle-
ville, and it was united with the Green Valley Church, or re-organ-
ized, April 15, 1863. At first the meetings were held in private
residences, and at school-houses. We copy the following from the
" Record of the Presbyterian Church of Tazewell Co.," which was
made at the time of its first organization. "On the 10th of June,
1832, the following persons : Samuel Woodrow, Catharine (Monta-
gue) Woodrow, George Rausbarger, Stephen Holton, Emily Som-
ers, and Mary Babbitt, agreeable to previous appointment, for the
purpose of mutual benefit in Holy living, voluntarily associated
themselves into a Christian Church, under the rules of the General
Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of the United States of
America." Samuel Woodrow was elected Ruling Elder, and C. W.
Babbitt, their stated supply, was chosen Clerk.

" A congregational meeting was held at Green Valley, for the
purpose of electing Trustees : S. S. Darling, C. F. Buckman, and
Samuel Schureman were chosen. A motion was then made and
carried, that the Presbyterians of Green Valley proceed to take
necessary steps to build a house of worship. Also that the Trustees
act as a committee to suggest a site and exhibit a plan for a place of
worship." The above is the record of the first meeting held for the
purpose of building a new church edifice. Other meetings were
held, site and plans were adopted, and the work vigorously prose-
cuted. Work was commenced September 1, 1876, and the house
dedicated, free of debt, Sunday, Dec. 31st, of the same year, being
the last Sunday, the last of the last month of the Centennial year.
It was supplied by Rev. Charles A. Holmes. On the 15th of Oct.,
1878, Rev. W. R. Smith, of Albion, Iowa, received a call.

The Methodist Church, Green Valley. — The present church edifice
of this denomination was erected in 18(i5, at a cost of $5,000.
This society at that time, was connected with the San Jose Circuit.


It continued in that relation until the autumn of 1870, when, at the
request of the official board of the Church, Green Valley was set
oif to itself. Its present pastor is Rev. H. S. Tryon. The first
sermon by a Methodist preacher, Mr. Totten has any knowledge of,
was preached in the school-house, and the first Methodist discourse
delivered in the neighborhood. It was delivered by Rev. Craig, of
Delavan, who continued to preach here while he was pastor of the
Delavan Church. The next preacher was Rev. H. B. M. Colt.

There are two towns in the township. One of them, Circleville,
is located upon section 1. It was laid oflF Aug. 7, 1837, by Spencer
Field and E. M. Perkins. It will be seen, therefore, that Circle-
ville is one of the oldest towns in the county. The other town is
Green Valley, upon section 35, and is upon the line of the P., L.
& D. Ry. Mr. Samuel Schureman was the original proprietor of
the land upon which Green Valley is located. He entered it in
1852. The town was laid off by Mr. Schureman, Oct. 19, 1872.
The village received its name in this wise. There was a Union
Sunday-school organized in 1853, and the question came up as to
what the school should be called. There were several names pro-
posed, and among the number was Green Valley by Samuel Schure-
man. The names were voted upon, and Green Valley received the
majority, and the name was adopted for the school, and when the
town was laid off it was christened with the same name.

There are five store buildings in the east end of the town, owned
by Samuel Schureman, and occupied as follows : Israel Schureman,
dry goods, boots and shoes ; Samuel Bradfield, drugs ; A. Helmbolt,
post-office, books, and stationery ; S. Schureman, office ; James Mc-
Cord, carpenter; Rachel Greenleaf, millinery; and Thos. Champion,

The improvements throughout the township are of a substantial
character. Comfortable and even elegant houses dot the prairies,
with good out-houses, and well built fences, bespeak the fact that
the people are permanently located, and take a pride in their
surroundings. AVith the elements of a prosperous future in her
grasp, with every resource of this temperal clime, it will be strange,
indeed, if the township and the county does not rapidly grow in
wealth. We cannot, in justice, close this historical sketch, without
speaking personally of some of its citizens. We therefore would
call attention to the following :

W. C. Auld, farmer, sec. 24 ; P. O., Green Valley. Mr. A. was


born in Guernsey Co., O., in 1848. He is a son of Alexander and
Rose (Cunningham) Auld. The subject of this sketch received a
common school education. He came to this county Nov. 20, 1873;
was married Oct. 9, 1873, to Kate Woodrow, a daughter of William
and Ellen (Kellogg) Woodrow, of this county. Mr. and Mrs.
Auld have two daughters — Alice, born May 3, 1875; and an in-
fant, born March 28, 1879; is a member of the Presbyterian

Jesse Black, farmer and stock raiser, sec. 27 ; Post-office, Green
Valley. Mr. B. is a son of Jacob Black and Sarah Wikirk, natives,
respectively, of Penn. and Maryland ; Jesse Black was born in
Huntingdon Co., Penn., Feb .7, 1825; Mr. B. came to this county
March 13, 1854; is now the owner of 440 acres of valuable land
which he has made since he came to this county. Mr. B. has repre-
sented this township in the Board of Supervisors. He was united
in marriage Oct. 20, 1846, to Mary J. Johns; their childrens' names
and births are as follows — John W., born Oct. 28, 1847, de-
ceased ; William, Sept. 11, 1849, married Calesta Miller, a native of
Mich ; Sarah J., Feb. 20, 1852, married George Cockefair ,who lives
in Deer Creek townshi]> this county ; Henry T., July 10, '54, de-
ceased; Almon J., July 20, '56; Francis M., Dec. 11, '58; Arthur
N., Aug. 31, '61 ; George, Feb. 20, '64, deceased ; Charles, June 28,
'65; Edgar, May 20, '68; Jesse May, Nov. 5, '73. Mr. B. has
been a member of the Methodist Church since he was twenty years
old, and Mrs. B. ever since she was fifteen. The Blacks are of
German descent, they were Protestant-Lutheran, and left their
homes in Germany on account of religious persecutions by the Cath-
olics, about the year 1679. The first of the family that came to
this country, was named Jacob. On the voyage his wife and two
children died and were buried in the sea. Mr. B. settled where

Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Tazewell county, Illinois ; together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Illinois ... Digest of state laws → online text (page 61 of 79)