Richard Mather Bayles.

History of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time online

. (page 39 of 72)
Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesHistory of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time → online text (page 39 of 72)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Aug. 16, 1743, femmetje, Abraham Vantuyt, Mitje freeland.

Aug. i, 1731, Abraham, Denys van Tuyl, Neeltje Croesen.

Sept. 8, 1734, Denys, Denys van Tuyl, Neeltje Croesen.

Mar. 4, 1739, Neeltye, Denys van Tuyl, (obit), Neeltje Croesen.

Sept. 22, 1709, Catharyntie, Isaac Van Tuyl.

May i, 1720, Catharina, Isaak Van Tuyl, Sara Lakerman.

Apr. 6, 1724, Geertruyd, Isaak van Tuyl, Sara Lakerman.

May 4, 1735, Abraham, Jan van Tuyl.

Sept. 17, 1738, Johannes, Johannes van Tuyl, Belitje Byeank.

Sept. 16, 1746, Abraham, otto Van Tuyl, Tryntye boskek.

Nov. n, 1722, Femmetje, Jan Van Voorhees, Neeltje Neesjes.

Nov. ii, 1722, Willemsje, Jan Van Voorhees, Neeltje Neesjes.

Nov. n, 1722, [The two last, no doubt were twins.]

May 9, 1725, Jacobus, Jan van Voorhees, Neeltje Neesjes.

Mar. 24, 1728, Roelof, Jan van Voorhees, Neeltje Neesjes.

Apr. 16, 1732, Neeltje, Jan van Voorhees, Neeltje Neesjes.

Oct. 23, 1737, Maria, Roelof van Voorhes, - - Coteleau.

Dec. 12, 1745, Aentje, Cornelus van Wagenen, Hellena Bon.

Sept. 17, 1746, maragrita, Cornelius Vanwagenon, helena bon.

July 24, 1752, Catharina, Cornelius van wagenen, helena Bon.

Feb. 16, 1755, Lena, Cornelus Vanwagenne, Lena Bon.

June 24, 1752, marregrietye, Hendrick van wagene, Palli Seymense.

Nov. 7, 1753, Annatje, Hendrick Van Wagenne, Maria Simonse.

Feb. 16, 17^5, Johannes, Hendrick Van Wagenne, Maria Simonse.

Oct. ir, 1748, Johannes, Johannes Van wagene, Elsye Berge.

Mar. 9, 1729, Aaghje, Daniel van Winkel, Jannetje Vreelant.

July 27, 1729, Adriaan, Adriaan van Waggelum, Celia Preyer.

Aug. 8, 1731, Abraham, Adriaan van Woggelum, Celitje Preyer.

Sept. 18, 1726, Jan, Douwe van Woggelum, Jannetje Staats.

Feb. 25, 1728, Jan Staats, Douwe van Woggelum, Jannetje Staats.

May 21, 1716, Jan, Arey Van Woglom.

July 19, 1724. Zuster, Douwe van Woggelum, Jannetje Staats.

June 28, 1730, Cornelius, Douwe van Woggelum, Jannetje Staats.

June 27, 1736, Catharina, Douwe van Woglum, Jannetje Staats.

Sept. 14, 1742, Antje, Douwen Van Woglom, Jannetje Staats.

Apr. 17, 1711, Nicolaes, Jan Vechten.

Oct. 22, 1717, Catharyna, Johan Vechten.

Mar. 20, 1716, Gerret, Jan Veghte.

Nov. 8, 1719, Johannes, Jan Vtrghten, Cornelia Staats.

Jan. 24, 1725, Jannetje, Jan Veghte, Cornelia Staats.

June 25, 1727, Henrik, Jan Veghte, Cornelia Staats.

Apr. 7, 1734, Jan, Nicolaas Veghte, Neeltje van Tuyl.

Nov. 7, 1753, Jannetje, Jan Veldtman, Jannetje Jurks.

July 28, - Hendrick, - - Vellman, Jurks.

Sept. 1 8, 1744, Maria, Jan Veltman, Jannetje Jurcks.



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 393

Apr. 22, 1746, Jan, Jan Veldtman, Jannety'e Jurks.
Sept. 17, 1748, Geertruyt, Jan Veltman, Jannetye Turks.
June 12, 1716, petrus, Steven Vetyto.

Au S- 5. '739, Michiel, Michiel Vreelant, Janneke van Houten.
Sept. 17, 1752, Johannes, Helmig vreland, neeltye van hoor.
Nov. 3, 1754, Wachgiel, Helmis vrelant, Neeltye vanhoren.
Oct. 8, 1738, Jacobus, Joseph Walderon, Aasje Healaken.
Apr. 22, 1707, Lambert, Lambert Wels.
June 26, 1720, John, John Whithead, Elisabet Bakker.
Mar. 6, 1725 6, Maria, Johannes Wimmer, Wyntje Symons.
Feb. i, 1730, Jesuias, Jan Winter, Martha Bug.
Feb. 14, 1732, Maria. Jan Winter, Martha Baile.
May 31, 1719, Frans, obadias Winter, Susanna du Puy.
May 8, 1737, Thomas, Thomas Wilmot, Elisabet Mersereaux.
Apr. 22, 1707, Christyntien, Johan Woggelum.
July 26, 1711, Suster, Johan Woggelum.
Dec. 25, 1719, Johanna, Aryvan Woglum. Celia Preyer.
Jan. 3, 1722, Anna, Aryvan Woglum, Celia Preyer.
Jan. 27, 1725, Andries, Aryvan Woglum, Celia Preyer.
Aug. 7, 1720, Hendrikje, Cornelis Woinat, Tryntje Bouwman.
Sept. 19, 1725, Jannetje, Stephen Wood, Geertje Winter.
Dec. 24, 1727, Steve and Obadia, twins, Stephen Wood, Geertje Win-
ter.

July '3, I73 1 . Richard, Stephen Wood, Jomine Mott.
Apr. 20, 1703, Cornelis, Jacob Wouters.
Oct. 23, 1711, Beniamin, Jacob Wouters.
Apr. 19, 1709, Sara, Lambert Wouters.

- 1729, Henricus, Henry Wright, Aaltje Martlings.
May 29, 1726, Susanna, Jacob Wright, Antje Role.
May 26, 1723, Elisabet, Cornelis Wynant, Maria Cole.
Dec. 25, 1725, Maria, Cornelis Wynant, Maria Cole.
Feb. 6, 1728, Cornelius, Cornelis Wynant, Mary Coles.
May 4, 1729, Cathryr.tje, Johannes Wynants, Lena Bird.
Mar. 19, 1732, Pieter, Johannes Wynants, Magdalena Bird.
A P r - 2 3, 1707, Pieter, Pieter Wynants.
Mar. 27, 1720, Pieter, Wynandt Wynandts, Ann Cole.
Mar. 14, 1725, Abrahan, Wynant Wynants, Ann Cole.
Oct. 9, 1726, Jacob, Wynant Wynants, Ann Cole.
Apr. 22, 1728, Daniel, Wynant Wynants, Ann Cole.
Feb. 28, 1731, Joseph, Abraham Yates, Hester Drinkwater.
Sept. 17, 1758, Mareya, John yennes, Altye merling.
.J an - J3. 1734, Christiana, Johan Philip Zumsenbach, Ule Cathrine
Pikkerling.

Mar. 28, 1736, Hanna, Johan Philep Zumsenbach, Ule Catharine
Pikkerling.

July 19, 1726, Abraham, Abraham Zuiphen, Marytje Borkelo.
June 4, 1727, Maria, Abraham Zutphen, Marytje Borkelo.
Oct. 26, 1729, Antje, Abraham Zutphen, Marytje Borkelo.
Oct. 24, 1731, Jannetje, Abraham Zutphen, Marytje Borkelo.
July 25, 1710, Sara Gennens
fuly 25, 1710. Mary Gennens.
A Pr- 8, 1733, Eva.



394 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

Sept. 14, 1741, Maryya, Tamlisck - - Kadlyne van peldt.
Apr. 19, 1743, hester, - Ragel Willmsen.

June 1 8, 1745, Jucres, - Sara Van namen.

May 2, 1754, Isack, - - Merya Sinnis

May 2, 1754, Jan. Sara Dey.

It is supposed that religious services after the forms of the
church of England were occasionally held here previous io 1704,
for in October of that year the Rev. William Vesey, of Trinity
church, New York, in reporting the state of religion in this
county to the "Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in
Foreign Parts," says there was a tax of forty pounds a year
laid upon the people and they desired to have a minister sent
to them. The foundation for this tax lay in the act which was
passed under the direction of Governor Fletcher in 1693, which
in effect established the church of England in the counties of
New York, Westchester, Queens and Richmond, under the
patronage of the government. By this act the inhabitants of
each county named were to choose annually ten vestrymen and
two church wardens. These officers were empowered to make
choice of the minister or ministers for each district, and for
the support of these ministers a certain sum was directed to be
assessed on the inhabitants of all denominations in each
county. The act indeed did not especially enjoin that the min-
isters so chosen should be of the Episcopal church, and by an
explanatory act, passed several years afterward, it was even de-
clared that dissenting ministers might be chosen. By lodging
the right of choice, however, with the vestrymen and church
wardens alone, it was well known that Episcopal ministers
would of course be always elected.

Though this law remained upon the statute book during the
colonial period it became to a degree inoperative, through the
munificent bequest of Judge Duxbury made some years later.

In 1706 Rev. John Talbot was sent here as a missionary, but
a church in New Jersey shared his ministrations. Soon after
he was succeeded by the Rev. Eneas McKenzie. Catechists or
schoolmasters were employed under the direction of the so-
ciety as early as 1712. Before this time even, the matter of
erecting a church building was talked of. The\ r were then
using the French church for their worship. On the 6th of
August, 1711, William Tillyer and Mary, his wife, gave to the
society a building site for a church and burial ground at the



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 395

head of Fresh kill, on Kaiie's neck. In 1713 a donation of
one hundred and fifty acres of land was made to this church
by the generosity of Adolphus Philips, counsellor; Lancaster
Symes, a captain in Fort Lewis; Ebenezer Wilson and Peter
Fanlconer, merchants, all of New York. This was sold by the
trustees, and another piece of ground, more conveniently lo-
cated, was purchased for a glebe. During the year 1713 a church
was erected on the ground which two years before had been
given for the purpose. This was a plain stone structure, and
as far as anything is known stood on substantially the same
site now occupied by St. Andrew's church at Richmond. In
the year last mentioned Mr. McKenzie writes to the society
that during the first seven years of his ministry here he had
preached "upon sufferance in aFrench Church," but the church
people had now "got a pretty handsome church of their own
to preach in," and a house was about being built on the recently
purchased glebe.

The church was now established under the royal charter of
Queen Anne, who also presented the church with prayer books,
a pulpit cover, a silver communion service and a bell. The
names of prominent freeholders on the island, attached to this
church, appear in the charter, as follows: Ellis Duxbury,
Thomas Harmer, Augustin Graham, Joseph Arrow-smith,
Lambert Gerritson, Nathaniel Brittain, William Tillyer, Rich-
ard Merrill, John Morgan and Alexander Stewart.

In 1718 Ellis Duxbury bequeathed to this church an extensive
tract of land. His will bears date May 5, 1718, and it was ad-
mitted to probate October 22 following. The property was a
plantation of two hundred acres, situated on the northeast ex-
tremity of the island; and consequently the point of land at New
Brighton was, until a recent date, generally known as "Dux-
bury's Point," and sometimes " The Glebe." It was bequeathed
to the minister, church wardens and vestry of St. Andrew's
church, for the only use and maintenance of the minister and
incumbent. The property still owned by the church at Tomp-
kinsville and its vicinity is a part of this bequest. Being a de-
vise to a religious incorporation, it was void by law, but as the
title of the church was never disputed, and as the state by sev-
eral acts incidentally recognized its validity, to say nothing of a
possession of more than a century and a half, the title has long
ago become unimpeachable. By the same will the church re-



396 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

ceived - - for building additions to the church, in addition
to the above bequest.

The salary of Rev. Mr. McKenzie, in 1717, appears to have
been raised to 50 a year. At what time he closed his labors
here we are not informed, but in 1733 Mr. Harrison appears as
the missionary on Staten Island. Two years later the numerical
strength of the church was about fifty communicants. Mr. Har-
rison at this time writes that he has baptized nearly seventy
children since he came here, also " that he hath baptized one
Indian Woman, two adult Negroes, and three Negroe Children ;
that he preaches on Sundays once ; catechises and expounds
after the second Lesson, and teaches the Negroes after Service
is ended, and the Congregation gone home ; for many of them
live far from Church, and will not come twice, nor stay long."
The labors of Mr. Harrison ended with his death, which took
place October 4, 1739. The vestry then elected a Mr. Arnold, a
missionary who had been traveling in New England, to be mis-
sionary on Staten Island. In 1743 Mr. Arnold writes " that his
church is Church is increased twofold and he hath lately bap-
tized ten Negroes, and is still preparing several more for that
Sacrament.'' He resigned in 1745, and Rev. Richard Caner was
appointed to the mission.

In 1747 the Rev. Richard Charlton became rector ; his eldest
daughter was connected by marriage with the Dongan family, be-
ing the wife of Thomas Dongan, and mother of John C. Dongan;
and another daughter was the wife of Dr. Richard Bailey, who
was health officer of the port of New York, and died in 1801 ;
his remains are interred in the grave yard of the church. Dr.
Charlton' s ministry continued thirty-two years; he died in 1779,
and was buried under the communion table in St. Andrew's
church.

After the decease of Mr. Charlton the pulpit was supplied for
a brief term by the Rev. Mr. Barker. On the first day of May,
1780, the Rev. Mr. Field became the rector ; he had been a chap-
lain in the British army, stationed in the fortifications in the vi
cinity of the church. His first baptism is recorded as having
been performed two weeks after that day. Mr. Field died in
1782, and was buried by the soldiers of the Seventy-seventh
regiment of British troops, the place of his sepulchre being be-
neath the church.

During the whole revolutionary war, the island being in pos-



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 397

session of the British, divine service was generally suspended in
all the churches except this. The same is true of all other parts
of the country where the British were in possession. Where the
whigs had power none were closed except such Episcopal
churches, the rectors of which refused to omit the prayers for
the king.

In 1783 the Rev. John H. Rowland became rector. He was a
native of Wales, and had been previously settled in a parish
in Virginia. In 1788 he removed to Nova Scotia, and died in
1795.

In October, 1788, the Rev. Richard Channing Moore became
rector. He was born in the city of New York, August 21st,
1762 ; he studied medicine and practised physic for a few years,
when he became a student of Bishop Provost. His first minis-
try, after receiving orders, for a very brief period, was at Rye,
inWestchester county, and at the date above mentioned he came
to Staten Island, where he remained until 1808, when he accepted
a call to St. Stephen' s church, New York. In 1814 he was elected
Bishop of Virginia and rector of the Monumental church in the
city of Richmond, and was consecrated May 18, 1814. During
his incumbency, in 1802, a chapel was built on the north side,
and called "Trinity Chapel," which has since become the
Church of the Ascension. He died November 11, 1841. From
1793 to 1801 he officiated also at Amboy at stated times.

In May, 1808, Dr. Moore was succeeded by his eldest son, the
Rev. David Moore, who continued rector for the period of forty-
eight years. Rev. David Moore, D.D., was born in the city of
New York, Jane 3d, 1787 ; he studied theology with his father,
and was admitted to the diaconate in 1808, when he immediately
took charge of his parish. In the northeast corner of the burial
ground of St. Andrew's church stands a beautiful marble monu-
ment, with the following inscription on one side :

REV. DAVID MOORE, D.D.,

Rector of

St. Andrew's Church,
Including Trinity Chapel,

Staten Island.

Born June 3d, 1787,

Died Sept. 30th, 1856,

Aged 69 Years.



398



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.



On a mural tablet within the church is the following:
" Sacred to the memory of Rev. David Moore, D. D.; or-
dained Deacon in Trinity Church, May 8, 1808. Received
priests' orders in old St. Andrew's, June, 1811. After a min-
istry of 48 years in this parish, entered into rest on Tuesday
evening, September 30, 1856. In his life and character he
was an exemplary pattern to his flock, possessing- in an emi-
nent degree those qualifications which endeared him to the
hearts of an attached people, and raised in their affections a
monument which will endure when the church militant on
earth shall receive the full fruition of the church triumphant in
Heaven."




tip , .1 . , -



ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH, RICHMOND.

Dr. Moore was succeeded by the Rev. Theodore Irving,
LL. D., February 5, 1857, who resigned in November, 1864.

In June, 1865, Rev. C. W. Bolton became rector, but resigned
in the following January, and was succeeded by the Rev. Kings-
tori Goddard, D.D., of Philadelphia. Dr. Goddard died Octo-
ber 24th, 1875, and was succeeded by the Rev. Dr. Yocum, who
was installed June 15th, 1876.

It is a circumstance worthy of note in connection with the
revolutionary history of this church that although services in
it were continued throughout the war while other churches
were either closed or burned, the baptisms did not average more



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 399

tlii'ii three in a year, and some of these were children whose
patents belonged to the army.

Tvie Episcopal churches on the island have at different times
been the recipients of donations and loans from Trinity church,
New York. Among these may be noticed a grant of $1,000 to
the church on the North Side in 1800; one of $1,000 to St.
Andrew's in 1802; and one of $1,500 to St. Luke's in 1846.

In 1802, Trinity chapel, in connection with St. Andrew's
church at Richmond, was built upon a lot of land on the north
shore, conveyed for the purpose by John Me Vicar, Esq. Rev.
Richmond Channing Moore, rector of the church at Richmond,
officiated in it until he left the parish. After his departure, his
son, Rev. David Moore, succeeded to the rectorship, and
preached, usually every Sunday afternoon, until a short time
before his decease, being assisted in his duties in both places
by several other clergymen employed for the purpose. After
his death, the services in the chapel were conducted by several
clergymen temporarily engaged until May, 1869, when another
parish was organized, and Trinity chapel became the Church of
the Ascension. The first rector after the organization was Rev.
Theodore Irving, LL. D., of Newburgh. The congregation in-
creased so rapidly that the old frame building was found to be
insufficient, and the erection of a new church was determined
upon. The corner stone of the new edifice was laid with ap-
propriate ceremonies on the 30th day of August, 1870, and was
first opened for divine service on Ascension Day, May 16, 1871.
Dr. Irving continued in the church until February, 1872. when
he resigned. In July, 1872, the present rector, Rev. James S.
Bush, of San Francisco, was settled.

The officers of the church at the time of the erection of the
chapel, were Rev. Richard Channing Moore, rector; James
Guyon and Peter Mersereau, wardens, and Peter Laforge,
John Latourette, John Van Dyke, Nicholas Journeay, Paul
Micheau, Joshua Wright, Paul J. Micheau, and George W.
Barnes, vestrymen. The material of which the church is built
is Staten Island granite; it is cruciform, and has several
beautiful memorial windows; it has a turret on the northeast
corner, and a tower and spire one hundred and fifteen feet high
on the northwest corner.

St. John's parish was an offshoot from St. Andrew's. It
was organized in May, 1843, when that part of the island was



400



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.



peopled by the families of metropolitan wealth, enterprise and
social distinction. The first house of worship was a molest
frame building standing on the west side of the avenue, nearly
opposite the present church and in the midst of a natural growth
of young forest trees. The corner stone of this church was
laid July 14, 1843. William H. Aspinwall, Levi Cook and W.
B. Townsend were the building committee. The first wardens
were Charles M. Simonson and William H. Aspinwall; and the
vestrymen were Levi Cook, James R. Boardman, M. D., W. B.
Townsend, W. D. Cuthbertson, Lewis Lyman, D. B. Allen, W.
A. Fountain and W. H. White. The cornerstone of the present





/

- ^ , m
''-^^\',/l^,.



ST. JOHN'S CHURCH AND RECTORY.

church was laid November 10, 1869. This is a handsome stone
building, of ample dimensions and graceful proportions and, is
in keeping with the culture and resources of the congregation.
The material of which it is built is mostly a rose colored granite,
from Lyme, Conn., with string pieces and ornamentations of
Belleville stone. The architecture is of the Gothic style of
the XIV th century. The windows are of stained glass, with
designs highly executed from Italian religious art. The great
south transept window is a memorial of the beloved physi-
cian, Dr. Anderson, who was long a celebrity at quarantine



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 401

and in St. John's. The north side window in the chancel is
a figure of surpassing loveliness, a memorial of the daughter
of John Appleton, one of the most munificent and devoted
friends of the parish, who is himself memorialized in an elab-
orate mural tablet of polished brass, just within the chancel
arch. The stained glass window architecture is said to be the
finest specimen of rural church architecture in the diocese. The
church was consecrated by Bishop Horatio Potter, September
30, 1871.

The first rector of this parish was Kingston Goddard, from
June, 1844, to June, 1847. Later rectors have successively been:
Alexander G. Mercer, June, 1847, to September, 1852; R. M.
Abercrombie, January, 1853, to February, 1856; John C. Eccles-
ton, April, 1856, to January, 1863; Thomas K. Conrad, March,
1863, to October, 1866; and John C. Eccleston, D.D., again from
1867 to the present time.

In 1862 a commodious rectory was built adjoining the church.
A parish building, known as the Mercer Memorial chape), was
erected on the same plot of ground in 1865. Within the last
sixteen years one hundred and fifty thousand dollars have been
spent in parish improvements.

JOHN C. ECCLESTON, M.D., D.D. Probably no man on Staten
Island has attracted by his talents a greater amount of atten-
tion, or possesses a reputation more to be envied than does the
Rev. John C. Eccleston, M.D., D.D., rector of St. John's
church, Clifton. The doctor has enjoyed a pastorate of more
than twenty-six years in his present pulpit and during that
time his energy and eloquence have done much to stamp his in-
dividuality upon the community in which he lives.

Doctor Eccleston was born in Kent county, Md., May 6, 1828.
He is a descendant of the Ecclestons who came from the village of
Ecclestown in England, with the first Maryland colonists, tak-
ing an active part in the revolutionary struggles, by means of
which they forfeited large landed estates in Great Britain. His
father was judge of the supreme court of Maryland, and his
uncle, Samuel Eccleston, archbishop of Baltimore and Metro-
politan of the Roman Catholic church in the United States.

The doctor graduated from the Roman Catholic college of Si.
Sulfice in Baltimore, July 20, 1847, and on March 31, 1850, re-
ceived the degree of M. D. from the University of Maryland.
For a year he followed the medical profession in the city of
26



402 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

Baltimore, after which he entered the General Theological Sem-
inary in New York city. From there he graduated June 27,
1854. On August 22d of the same year, he was ordained to the
diaconate by Bishop Alonzo Potter, and on April 11, 1855, he
assumed priestly orders.

He received his first call to St. John's church, February 27,
1856, assumed the rectorship of Trinity church, Newark, N. J.,
January 1, 1863, became rector of St. James church, Great Bar-
rington, Mass., May 1, 1866, and returned to St. John's, at
Clifton, November 1, 1867. The new stone church consecrated
September 30, 1871, was erected largely through his energy and
enterprise. The doctor has been twice married and has four
children still living. His brother, Doctor J. H. Eccleston, is
the distinguished rector of Emmanuel church, Baltimore, Md.

Doctor Eccleston' s preaching is forcible and eloquent. Large
numbers of people from all denominations and from all parts of
the island are regularly attracted to his church by the power
of his reasoning and by the magnetism of his manner. He has
no sympathy with wrongdoing, never shrouds his true meaning
in mystical language and is as independent in his private and
political life as he is in the pulpit. His secular lectures which
have been many, are characterized by a strength and vivacity
equalled only by their instructive and useful qualities, and his
thirty-one years of public speaking have won him a distin-
guished place among the orators of his day. On Staten Island
he is universally known and his name is connected with every
really aggressive movement. Free in lending his influence to
the advancement of everything that is noble, free and good, the
doctor has made for himself many lasting and powerful friends,
and the memory of his good works will long survive to testify
of him. We take pleasure in presenting the citizens of Rich-
mond county with this short sketch of one of the oldest and
most respected of its living clergymen.



The organization of St. Paul's church was effected at a meet-
ing held at the Planters hotel, Tompkinsville, March 11, 1833.
Previous to that time members of the Episcopal denomination
attended religious services at St. Andrew's ; and for a tinrj ser-
vices were held in private houses here, by the Rev. Samuel
Haskell. The first officers elected were Henry Drisler and
Richard S. Gary, wardens ; and Daniel Van Duzer, Sr., Caleb




JOHN C. ECCLESTON



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 403

T. Ward, Richard Harcourt, Charles Simonson, George Brown,



Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesHistory of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time → online text (page 39 of 72)