Richard Mather Bayles.

History of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time online

. (page 49 of 72)
Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesHistory of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time → online text (page 49 of 72)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


selves chiefly to Westfield. The name occurs nowhere in the
civil list of the county. John is mentioned in the county
records as having bought land of Tunis Egbert, January 27,
1699, and as having sold land in 1705. Peter and Rebecca Cole
had the following children : Daughter Rebecca, baptized March
27, 1720; daughter Elizabeth, baptized December 25, 1723, died
in infancy; twins Elizabeth and Anna, baptized January 1,
1726. John and Leah Swaini had a son, John, baptized April 7,
1729, and a daughter, Leah, baptized May 17, 1724; this John
we find mentioned as collector of the West Division in 1767 and
1768. Peter, and Caty, his wife, had a son Peter, born July 6,
1765; he made his will December 21, 1792, proved March 17,
l'S02, in which he speaks of his wife Catharine, his daughter
Catharine, wife of Dow Storer; daughter Elizabeth, wife of
Peter Latourette; daughter Mary, wife of Joseph Totten; sons
Peter, Charles and John. These three sons were married as fol-
lows : Peter and Elizabeth Slack, January 4, 1789; Charles and
Margaret Slack, September 11, 1797; and John and Ann Cole.
August 21, 1802. The family is at present represented by the
three brothers, Cornelius C., John and Benjamin; their grand-
father was usually known as Major John, and their father as
young Major John.

BEDELL. We find this name at an early date in America, but
not in connection with Staten Island. In 1673 we find Robbert
Beedill, Daniel Beedel, Mathew Beedel, and John Beddel,
enrolled among the inhabitants of Hempstead, Long Island. It
is nearly a century after that date, that we find the name in
any of the records of Richmond county. In 1767, Silas ren-
dered a bill for " docktering," whence we infer that he was a
physician. In the same year mention is made of John, who
was county treasurer when he died, in the early part of 1781.
There is a Joseph also mentioned in 1770, but not the Joseph
alluded to elsewhere as having been taken prisoner by the
Americans when a boy ; they were father and son. The father
made his will October 28, 1793, proved November 19t,h of the same
year, in which he speaks of his sons Jesse and Joseph, and his
daughters Mary, Pattie, Pegge, Catharine and Jane ; his wife's



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 499

name was Catharine ; his son Joseph was born October 24,
1763 ; Jesse was born in 1773, and died August 28, 1852.

Stephen and Catharine Latourette were married in May, 1766,
and had a son David born July 19, 1771.

Silas (the doctor) and Mary his wife, had the following child-
ren : Phebe, born November 19, 1770 ; James, born April 9,
1773 ; John, born March 28, 1775. James married Hetty Parker
January 12, 1806.

There was another John, wife Catharine, who had a daughter
Hillite, born April 7, 1771.

Stephen and Mary Donelly were married March 9, 1808; Israel
died at Elizabethtown, N. J., August 30, 1830; he was the
father of the Rev. Gregory Townsend Bedell, D.D., an eminent
divine of the Episcopal church, who was born at Fresh kill,
October 28, 1793, and died August 30, 1834, just four years
after his father to a day. Rev. Dr. Bedell was the father of
the Rev. G. Thurston Bedell.

Gregory Townsend Bedell was born on Staten Island, in the
harbor of New York, on the 28th of October, 1793. His father,
Israel Bedell, was a man of true excellence of character, of a
peaceful temper and spirit, and much beloved by those who
were connected with him. He lived to see fourscore years, to
witness the full eminence and usefulness of his only son, and to
receive many happy proofs of his filial gratitude and love. He
died at Elizabethtown, in New Jersey, on the 30th of August,
in the year 1830, in the comfort and confidence of a Gospel hope,
and leaving behind him a character unblemished and nnre-
proached. His mother was a sister of the Right Rev. Bishop
Moore, of Virginia. She was remarkable both for her mental
accomplishments and for her external beauty, adorned with a
most amiable disposition, and kind and benevolent to the poor.
She was early admitted as a communicant of the Protestant
Episcopal church, and honored the doctrine of her Saviour by
a consistent walk of faith and piety. She was married late in
life, and lived only until her son was nine years old.

He was the only son of his parents. His father had three
daughters, the children of a former marriage, who \\ere in a
most eminent degree affectionate and useful sisters to him, and
made, in the hands of God, the main instruments in educating
him for the work in which his life was so usefully employed.
They were permitted to receive from him in return the most



500 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

unequivocal proofs of his affectionate gratitude, and two of
them survived him to lament his departure from the earth.

BARNES. George Barnes and Roger Barnes, brothers, came
from England many years before the revolution, but it is not
certain that they came together. Roger bought land in Soutji-
field in February, 1762; George, about 1770, bought land in
Castleton, and settled upon it. This was a large tract lying at
the southwest corner of the turnpike and Manor road. Con-
stanz brewery and the Child's Nursery occupy a part of it.
Roger's wife's name was Ann, and they had a son Robert,
born May, 1760, and a daughter Margaret, born April 8, 176(1
George's wife's name was Dorothy, and they had the following
children: Elizabeth, born July 18, 1767; John, born October 11,
1768; Roger, born January 7, 1771. They had also a son
George.

Roger married Sally Lake, a sister of Bornt Lake, who was
killed (see Lake family), and after the death of Roger she mar-
ried Richard Wood.

John married Margaret Ferine, May 2, 1793, and they were
the parents of Captain John W. Barnes, of Port Richmond,
and grandparents of Barnes Brothers, of the same place.

SAMUEL WARD BENEDICT was born at Danbury, Conn., in
1798. He was a direct descendant of Thomas Benedict, who was
born at Nottinghamshire, England, 1617, and came to this country
seventeen years after the landing in Massachusetts bay. He
soon sought the more thinly populated region of Long Island,
then comparatively inaccessible from the main land in the
winter. The late Hon. Erastus C. Benedict, in the complete
genealogy of this family, thus writes of him:

"He was charged with the power of magistrate and substan-
tially with the power of the government; he was a pillar in the
church; he was the arbitrator of differences, civilized and
savage; the pacifier of the offended Indian chief; he was a
leading member of the legislative body to create and to codify
the system of the law on the island, after the conquest from
the Dutch, and afterward of the colonial legislature."

Samuel W. Benedict established himself in the watch and
jewelry business in New York in .1818; first in Broadway at
the corner of Maiden lane, and some time previous to the great
fire in 1835 he moved his establishment to Wall street at the
corner of William street, where the custom house now stands.




RAVENHURST.

HOUSE OF READ BENEDICT.
West New Brighton, N. Y.



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 501

At that time the first stage or omnibus line had started from in
front of his store and the drivers were accustomed to ask Mr.
Benedict if it were time for them to start.

At this early date and here it was that " Benedict's Time"
first became a synonym for the correct time.

In 1836 he purchased from Daniel Winant and Benjamin
Brewster their adjoining farms, near Rossville, Staten Island,
and removed with his family to that place.

The old family mansion stood on the Winant place, and at
that time was one of the most substantial as well as one of the
oldest houses on the island. It was erected in the latter part
of the seventeenth century, and was claimed by Daniel Winant
to have been built and occupied by David Pietersen De Vries.
The walls were built of rough stone and Dutch cement, thick
and strong enough to withstand a siege, and no doubt in that
day it was intended as a place of security as well as a residence.

The old house was burned in 1858. After the inside and all
the wood work were consumed the walls remained standing,
apparently as firmly and securely as when they were erected
nearly two hundred years before.

Mr. Benedict built a new house on this same site, and con-
tinued to live there in a quiet and unostentatious way, beloved
and respected by all his neighbors until his death, which oc-
curred in the spring of 1882. The farms still remain in the
possesesion of three of his sons, Edwin P., Frederick and
Samuel.

READ BENEDICT, son of Samuel W. Benedict, although born
in the city of New York, has been a life resident of Staten
Island. In 1856 he married Mary E., daughter of Mark Winant,
Esq., of Rossville, whose family were among the oldest settlers
of the island. His father, Peter Winant, during the revolu-
tion, although a lad at the time, owing to the strong Tory feel'
ing prevailing, was obliged to flee to New Jersey, and returned
only after peace was declared.

Peter Winant was one of the first members from Richmond
county to the state legislature, serving in 17S8, and again in
1790 and 1791.

He was supervisor for the town of AVesth'eld from 1785 to
1787; serving many years as justice of the peace he became
known only as "old Judge Winant."

The beautiful residence and ample grounds of Mr. Benedict



502 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

are situated between the Manor and Jewett avenues, in the vil-
lage of New Brighton. It is said that the house stands on the
identical foundation of the old family residence of the Vander-
bilts, and here it was the late commodore was born. The place
is accessible from the avenues through a picturesque carriage-
drive, bordered on either side by evergreens and cedars. A
sloping lawn, with a beautiful bronze fountain, lies before the
house, which stands on a terraced eminence. Mr. Benedict is
the senior member of the well known firm of Benedict Brothers.
He was one of the founders of Grace Methodist Episcopal
church, a growing and prosperous organization. As an influ-
ential member of the community, he is looked iipon as one of
our leading citizens and prosperous business men.

Of his private life, as husband arid father, we are not per-
mitted to speak ; but, judging from the outward appearance of
his beautiful home and flourishing family, we may form very
pleasing conclusions.

BODINE. This family is of French origin. The name is not
mentioned by Smiles among the Huguenots. The first historical
allusion to the name that we have met is a brief biographical
account of John Bodin, who was a native of Angers, studied
law and lectured at Toulouse; he wrote several works, and died
of the plague at Laon, in 1596. The date of the immigration of
the family to this country is not known, but it must have been
in the latter part of the seventeenth or very early in the
eighteenth century, for we find the name of John Bodine men-
tioned in the county records as having purchased land in 1701,
and he was still living in 1744, as we find his name and that of his
wife Hester mentioned as having sold land at that date. Men-
tion is also made in records at Albany of John Bodein, in 1707.
It is probable that he was an emigrant, as we find him preserv-
ing the French orthography of his name, Jean, and of his son
who came with him, Francois, a witness to a baptism in the
Reformed Dutch church, in April, 1720; he was therefore a
Protestant, or Huguenot.

Francois married Maria Dey, and they had a son named
Jean, baptized in the same church November 29, 1719. Of this
second Jean, or John, we find no account except that his wife's
name was Dorcas, and that they had several children baptized.
They were undoubtedly the parents of John Bodine, who was
born in February, 1753, and of James Bodine, born in Janu-




^V fly ASJliw*"*




HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 503

ary, 1759. John died in March, 1835, nearly 82 years of age,
and James in May, 1838, nearly 80 years of age. John mar-
ried Catharine Britton, sister of the late Mr. Nathaniel Britton;
their sons were John, usually recognized in the local history of
the north shore as " Squire John," Jacob (the father of W. H.
J. and Edmund Bodine. constituting the present firm of Bodine
Brothers, the late Captain John, James, Jacob and Albert, and
three daughters), and Vincent, who removed from the island.
James was the father of the late Mr. Abraham Bodine, of
Mariners' Harbor, and of several sons and daughters now dead.

"Squire John" owned considerable property on the north
shore, among which was the mill and the pond and the land
east of it, including the old Dongan manor house, which he
subsequently sold to his father, who died in that house in 1835.

WILLIAM H. J. BODINE. The Bodine family is of Huguenot
descent. Its first representatives in this country were three
brothers, who came to America shortly after the massacre of St.
Bartholemew. A branch of the family found their way to
Staten Island, and of this branch William H. Bodine is a de-
scendant. He was the third of nine children of Jacob Bo-
dine and Johannah Houseman, of Northfield. His father was
formerly a prominent business man in Richmond county, and
from him he inherited many of the substantial qualities which
have been instrumental in makng him one of Staten Island's
most successful business men.

Mr. Bodine was born at Castleton, February 4, 1821. He was
educated by private tutors and in the district school, after
which, in his thirteenth year, he became engaged in the business
with his father, and in which he remained till the age of twenty.
At that time he entered into mercantile life on his own account,
in which he still remains. He carries on a general business in
building materials and fuel. By care in the management of his
affairs and the practice of thorough integrity in all his dealings
he has won for himself not only a competency, but also the re-
spect and esteem of the entire community.

Mr. Bodine is the possessor of valuable real estate in West
Brighton. He is also a stockholder and director in the Rich-
mond County Gas Company. Since his youth he has taken a
prominent part in politics, and his services in the republican
party entitle him to recognition as one of its foremost men on
Staten Island. For six years he was president of the village of



504 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

West Brighton, of which, together with Francis G. Shaw, Au-
gustus Prentice and James Simonton, under the name of trus-
tees, he was one of the incorporafcors. His long connection with
the life and prosperity of Richmond county, together with the
prominent part which he has always taken in its every aggres-
sive movement, have won for him a lasting place in its history.

BLAKE. This family is of English origin; the date of their
arrival or settlement, on the island is not known, though it was
probably about or just anterior to the middle of the last cen-
tury; like most of the other families of the same nationality,
they were decided royalists during the revolution. The first
name of the family we find on the records is that of William,
who married Mary Woglom, and had the following children:
John, born September 28, 1763, died September 30, 1852; Wil-
liam, born April 21, 1766, died January 16, 1852; and Edward,
born 1773, died December 14, 1845.

John married Tabitha Merrill, and died childless; William
married Ann Corsen, and had the following children: Daniel,
(deceased), William (drowned), Richard C. (still living in
Illinois), Edward and George. Edward was the father of Mrs.
Margaret Minott, of West New Brighton.

John, usually known as Captain John W. Blake, owned and
occupied the now valuable property corner of Mill and Manor
roads, West New Brighton, extending westward on both sides
of Cherry lane, and embracing the site of the dye works of
Barrett, Nephews & Co.

William owned and occupied the property on the Little Clove
road, subsequently owned by D. Porter Lord. Daniel, son of
William, deceased, was the father of Daniel, captain of the
police force of the county.

BOGART. This family is of Dutch extraction. The name
was originally written Bogaert. The earliest mention of the
name in the province occurs in an assessment roll of Breucklen
(Brooklyn), dated 1673, where Theunes Gisbertse Bogaert is
named, having the largest assessment on the roll. We find
Mm again assessed in 1683. In 1715 we find the name of Simon
enrolled among the militia of Kings county. Our theory is
that this Simon had a brother Tunis, and that they were sons
of Gysbert, for, in the assessment mentioned above, he is rated
for three polls (himself and two sons); that these sons married



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 505

Simon Bogaert and Margarietje Ten Eyck had the following-
children: Elisabet, baptized October 18, 1719; Margareta, bap-
tized December 3, 1722; Simon, baptized May 19, 1726; G-ysbert,
baptized January 19, 1729; Sarah, baptized February 13, 1732,
and perhaps others.

Tunis and Catharine Hageman had the following children:
Isaak, baptized November 21, 1718; Adrian, baptized Decem-
ber 18, 1720; Abraham, baptized April 21, 1723; Maria, baptized
March 28, 1725; Cornelius, baptized March 2, 1729, and per-
haps others.

Simon (probably son of Simon) and Martha, his wife, had the
following children: Mary, born December 4, 1746; Simon, born
June 19.' 1754; Richard, born February 22, 1757.

Isaac and Rachel had a son John, born October 14, 1770; also
a son Simon, who was the father of Timothy C. Bogart, near
the Four Corners.

BRAISTED. Though this name has been identified with the
county for a century and a half, the earliest notice of it in
the old church records, is that of William and Christina Bouw
man his wife, who had a son Johannes, baptized in 1715, and a
son Andries, August 18, 1719. In the county records we meet
with him as having purchased land in 1730. Johannes, or John,
son of William, married Trintje Haughwout, and had a son
Jan, or John, baptized August 18, 1741, and a son Peter, bap-
tized August 15, 1743. We then lose trace of the family for thirty
years ; then it appears again in the name of Egbert and Rachel
his wife, who had a son Egbert, born May 6, 1773. The next
and only remaining notice we have of the family in the last
century is the marriage of John and Nautchie (Anna) Mart-
ling, daughter of John Martling, February 14, 1790. The
family is now represented by Capt. J. Braisted, of Edgewater,
and a family or two at Watchogue.

BRITTON. This family is of French descent, and their name
was originally written Breton, another example of the change
of French names into English. The earliest mention of the
name in connection with the island, is that of Captain, some-
times called Colonel Nicklos, who was born in 1679, and died
January 12, 1740.

The following is a copy of the inscription upon the tomb-
stones of Colonel Nicklos Britten and his wife .



506 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

on Long Island, the one a Ten Eyck, the other a Hageman, and
then purchased land and removed here.

" Here lies y e Body of Col. Nicklos Britten, aged 6 L years,
Deceased Jan. 12, 1740.

Here lies a man of tender hart
Unto the poor in every part
He never sent the poor away
Which well is nown unto this Day."

" Here Lyes y e Body of Frances, wife of Col. Nicholas Brit-
ton, aged 66 years, Deceased May ye 7, 1748.

This Woman who is buried here
This county has nown for many a year
A loving mistress, a faithful wife
A Tender mother all her Life.''

These stones are still standing in the Moravian cemetery.

William was defendant in a suit at law October 3, 1680.
Nathaniel was plaintiff in a suit in July, 1681, and again in a
suit with Lewes Lakerman in the same year. These two last
named were adults when "Col. Nicklos" was an infant, but the
consanguinity between them cannot now be ascertained. There
was another William, a son of Nicholas, pi'obably Col. Nick-
los, born October 11, 1708. There was a Joseph, perhaps
a brother of William, who had a son James, baptized April 23,
1707, and a daughter, in 1708. There was also a Richard, who
purchased land in 1694.

Nathaniel made his will in 1683, but he was still living in
1695; he was probably the same individual who was a party to
the law-suit alluded to above. Nathaniel and Esther Belleville
had a daughter, baptized April 9, 1732. Nathaniel and Mary
his wife, had the following children : Joseph, born November
15, 1760 ; Richard, born March 22, 1766 ; William, born Sep-
tember 19, 1768. Samuel and Mary had the following daugh-
ters : Addra, born July 7, 1771; and Mary, born July 31, 1773.
Nathaniel and Catharine had a daughter Mary, born April 4,
1775 ; at her baptism, the father was also baptized. Samuel
and Polly Latourette married May 24, 1797.

The present representative of one branch of the family is J.
A. H. Britton, Esq., of New Dorp; his father was Nathaniel,
whose place of interment is marked by the marble monument
at the southwest corner of the Church of the Ascension. Na-
thaniel was born in 1764 or 1765; he was twice married; his first
wife was a Van Buskirk, of Bergen, and they were the parents



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 507

of Debora, wife of Joshua Mersereau, born August 4, 1782, died
March 26, 1840; Cornelius, born July 1, 1785, died April 3, 1867;
he resided at Fresh kill for many years before his death.

Abraham, born August 20, 1787, died August 26, 1866, resided
on the Clove road in Castleton, and was the father of Henry
and Abraham, both deceased, who resided on the paternal pro-
perty. Nathaniel, Jr., born in 1792, died February 13, 1841,
owned and resided on the property on the east side of Broad-
way, West New Brighton, extending the whole length of that
highway. He had also another son, John. Nathaniel's second
wife was Margaret Bedell, who was born January 5, 1768, and
died September 21, 1849; she was the mother of J. A. H. Britton,
Esq., as before mentioned.

BURBANCK. Abraham, John and Peter Burbanck, and two
sisters, names unknown, came from the Netherlands, Holland,
in the ship "Caledonia;" the vessel was partly wrecked on the
passage and the sisters were lost. The brothers landed in New
York in the seventeenth century, and Abraham settled on Stateu
Island. John went to New England, and was made freeman in
Eowley, Mass., May 13, 1640. In his will of April 5, 1681, he
mentioned his wife Jimima, and his children John, Caleb and
Lydia. Peter went to Old England and was never heard from.
They were of French and German stock; Abraham married a
French lady, name and date of marriage unknown.

Abraham, son of Abraham the first, was born November 20,
1745, died May 12, 1823, married and had children as follows:
Jacob, born April 9, 1771, died September 14, 1854; Abraham,
born 1780, died 1838. The dates of births and deaths of Isaac,
John, Peter, Eebecca and Mary Ann are unknown.

Descendants of Jacob Burbanck, son of Abraham the second:
Jacob Burbanck was twice married; he married Ann Wandel
who was born July 7, 1772, and was married by Mr. Eaton at
New Windsor July 14, 1793. He married Lucy Hennell in 1830.
She died November 16, 1865. No children by the second mar-
riage. Had children by the first wife as follows: Ann, born
May 3, 1794, died November 29, 1854; Abraham, born August
13, 1797, died August 26, 1797; Jacob Lockman, born June 22,
1799, died April 6, 1885; John William, born April 4, 1806;
Aletta Eliza, born December 6, 1809.

Ann, daughter of Jacob and Ann Burbanck, married Abra-
ham Egbert, born April 26, 1791, and was married by Rev. John



508 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

C. Beekler, December 23, 1815; had children as follows: Jacob
Burbanck Miles, born December 8, 1816. died August 14, 1879;
Ann Eliza, born April 12, 1818; Margaret Jane, born January
25, 1820, died March 21, 1873; Abraham Edward, born October
12, 1821; Stephen Henry, born December 8, 1823, died February
11, 1865; Rebecca Maria, born March 30, 1826; Catherine Han-
nah, born January 29, 1828; James, born September 4, 1830.

Jacob Burbanck Miles Egbert, tirst son of Abraham and Ann
Egbert, was twice married; his h'rst wife was Maria Simonson,
his second wife Catherine Simonson, sisters, both of Clifton,
Staten Island. The first wife had children as follows: Mary
Elizabeth, born November 4, 1845; James and Lavina, dates of
birth not known; they reside at Clifton. By the second wife,
he had sons Cornelius and Chester.

Mary Elizabeth Egbert married James J. Garretson October
1, 1868, and has children as follows: Mary Elizabeth, born Au-
gust 8, 1869, George Jacob, born March 8, 1871: Margaret Cor-



Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesHistory of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time → online text (page 49 of 72)