Richard Mather Bayles.

History of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time online

. (page 53 of 72)
Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesHistory of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time → online text (page 53 of 72)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


children a good start in life. His home place was on the old
Town road, now occupied by H. Meyer. This he gave to his
second son, Johannis, who, following the custom already alluded
to, adopted the name of Van Wagenen. Cornelius, the third
son, married Claasje Pieters, and settled in Metuchen, N. J.
Jacobus married a Simonson, and settled at Clifton, on his wife's
farm.

" Hendrick married Catherine Paulerson, December 3, 1747,
and lived on the John Britton place on the Richmond road.
Garrison's Station is on property of his descendants. Abra-
ham married and lived in Bergen.

" Harmanus married Autty Simonson, Apr. 26, 17o9, and
lived on the old Town road till 1790, after which he moved to
the farm now owned by Mr. Erastus Wiman. They had three
children. These were Margaret, John and Dinah. The first
married Harry Guyon, and inherited the Guyon place, the
second married Martha Cadmus and had the old town farm,
and the third married Joshua Mersereau and moved to Steuben
county.

"John Garretson and his wife Martha had children: Jane, Har-
manus, Alida, Dinah, John, George, Richard, James, Garret
and Martha. Jane married Henry Seguine and had children:



540 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

Joseph and John. Harmanus married a Miss Cadmus, had a
son. Jasper, who lived in Bergen, the early home of his mother.
Harmanus had three other wives but left no other children. Alida
married George Van Pelt; Dinah married John Tysen; John
married Ann Crocheron and left two children, Jacob C. and
John H., now of Green Ridge; George married Susan de Groot
and had a son, George and a large family of girls; Richard and
James died unmarried; Garret married Mary Ann Clauesson,
and left children. John J., William and three daughters; and
Martha married twice John Sawyer and James Laforge.

" Jacob C. Garretson married Harriet N. Ketcham and had
children: John, Philip, Henry, Jacob C., Erskine White, Sarah
(married John Eadie), Ella (married Craig Ketcham) and Har-
riet (married Albert Serrell). The last named, Jacob C., had
sons, Henry and Jacob, who are married."

GUYON. This is an ancient and honorable French Protestant
family. Some of them escaped at an early date from the per-
secutions in their native country, and came to America; others
remained until the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, when most
of them escaped to Holland, but a few remained to face the
peril. William de Guyon de Geis fled to Holland, and took
service under William of Orange, and lost an arm in that ser-
vice in Germany; he died in 1740. Several of his descendants
held commissions in the English army. Of those who remained
in France, an aged pastor was arrested, and upon being
searched a letter from Claude Brousson, who was a proscribed
preacher, was found upon him, and he was forthwith exe-
cuted, and the house at Nismes in which he was captured was
razed to the ground, as a punishment to its owner for giving him
shelter. The last Count Guyon was in the Austrian service as late
as 1848. There were, probably, two of the family who came to
New York at an early date Gregory and Jaques. The former
lived at New Rochelle in 1710, and was then 44 years of age,
and his wife, Mary, was 40. The latter settled on Staten Island,
and received a patent from Sir Edmund Andros, dated March
27th, 1675, for about 178 acres of land on the island at a quit
rent of eight bushels of wheat. This patent is still in existence,
and the land is still owned and occupied by his direct descend-
ants, the family of Mrs. Dr. Ephraim Clark. We find in the
county records notices of two law suits: one, " Jacob Jeyoung
against Isaac See, in 1678; the other. Jaques Jeyoung against



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 541

ffrancis Martinoe, March 6,1781." As he was the only individual
of the name of Guyon or Jeyoung, which is nearer the French
pronunciation he was, without doubt, the plaintiff in both
suits, the name Jacob being either a clerical error or an instance
of clerical ignorance. He had a son James, born January 5,
1714. James had a son James, born March 16, 1746, whose wife's
name was Susannah, and they were the parents of the late
Major James Guyon, father of Mrs. Clark. Major James is
known in our civil list as James, Jr., was born December 24,
1778, and died March 9, 1846. He was member of assembly in
1812-13, and representative in congress in 1819-20. He was mar-
ried three times: first, to Ann Bedell, mother of Mrs. Clark;
second, to Ann Ferine; and third, to Martha Seguine; the two
last were childless.

The present Major James Guyon was the son of Harmanus
and his wife, Elizabeth Holmes, married May 2, 1802. Har-
manus usually called Harry was member of assembly 1819-20.
He was the son of James by his second wife, Margaret Garrison,
and half-brother of James, Jr.

In the old church records of St. Andrew's we find the follow-
ing, which we are unable to place: John and Elizabeth Butler,
married January 12, 1800. Cornelius and Getty Mersereau,
married May 16, 1807.

HATFIELD. The tradition of the family is that James Hatfield
and a brother came from England long before the revolution;
the brother settled in New Jersey, but James on Staten Island.
During the war James was a decided whig, a rare occurrence,
particularly on Staten Island, and was incarcerated by the
British, or tories, somewhere in New Jersey, but was soon
released by the Americans. His sons were James and John D.,
the latter of whom was born April 5, 1777, and died December
3, 1856. He married Mary, daughter of Jacob Van Pelt, and
they were the parents of the following children : John, Moses
(both of whom were lost at sea in December, 1839); Maria, wife
of Captain J. W. Barnes, of Port Richmond; Jacob, died in
infancy; Jacob, born March 17, 1817.

There is a record of a Benjamin Hatfield, who married Naniie
Merrill, January 10, 1765, and of Susanna Hatfield, who was
the wife of Pieter Decker, and had a child baptized as early as
1718. (See the Decker family). Whether these were members
of the same family, it is impossible now to determine.



542 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

HAUGHWOUT. The date of the arrival and the name of the
progenitor of this family are lost. It was never very numerous,
and the notices of it in the county and church records are few.
The earliest mention of it is where Egbert Haughwout was
sponsor at a baptism April 20, 1709, and where Peter Haugh-
wout sold land in 1708. Egbert had a daughter baptized May
4, 1714, and Peter and Neltje (Cornelia) Bakker, his wife, had
eight children baptized between 1710 and 1736. Jan and Eliza-
beth Hooglant had a daughter baptized October 16, 1720. Peter
and Aaltje (Alida) Bennett, of Long Island, had the following
children: Neltje (Cornelia), baptized July 28, 1751; Peter, June
24, 1752; Nicholas, March 12,1758; and Wynant, April 20, 1760.
He owned a large property at the locality now known as Wil-
low Brook, or the Gun Factory, in Northfield. He made his
will December 15, 1787, probated September 6, 1792, in which
he speaks of his wife Alle (or Altje), his sons Peter, Nicholas
and Wynant. and his daughters Aile Webb, Nelly Cozine, and
his grandchildren, the children of his daughter Nelly, and
Alettee, Garrett, Peter and Jacobus.

His son Peter was the father of the late Peter N., of Port
Richmond. His son Wynant was the father of Simon, of Gran-
iteville, and his son Nicholas was father of Nicholas, now de-
ceased, who was engaged in the oyster business, and was said
to be the first to introduce oysters "on the Canal street plan,"
that is, stewed or otherwise cooked, before which they could
only be procured raw. Egbert and Elenor Garebrantz had a
son Daniel, baptized March 8, 1782. Nicholas had a daughter
baptized August 6, 1786. Wynant had a son Isaac, baptized
October 28, 1787. Peter had a son Daniel, baptized June 7,
1788.

CHARLES A. HERPICH is of German descent, and the grand-
son of Carl Augustus Herpich, a cloth manufacturer who re-
sided in Grossenhain, Saxony. His children were two daugh-
ters and three sons, of whom the youngest, Carl Augustus, re-
moved to Berlin and engaged in the fur business. By his mar-
riage to Emily Opperman, of Berlin, were born children :
Charles A., Julius F., Rudolph G., and one daughter, Theresa
Amelia.

The birth of Charles A., the subject of this sketch, occurred
on the 25th of February, 1831, in Berlin. In youth he entered
a grammar school, afterward received a collegiate education,



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 543

and on the completion of his course of study began his business
career as a furrier with his father, during his apprenticeship of
four years becoming familiar with all its branches. He par-
ticipated actively in the revolution of 1848, was captured and
for a brief period confined in the fortress of Spandau. On his
release Mr. Herpich, being disinclined to military service, to
which he was liable, determined to emigrate, and in February,
1849, joined a party en route for South Australia. After a brief
experience in the colonies he returned in 1850 to Berlin, later
spent some time in travel in Germany and England, and in
August, 1851, sailed for America, landing in New York. He
at once accepted a situation, continued for two years thus em-
ployed, and in 1853 embarked for Europe with a view to mak-
ing his first purchases as a dealer in furs in New York city.
He speedily established an extensive business in all parts of
the country, as a successful merchant in skins and the 7nanu-
factured goods. Mr. Herpich has devoted little time to inter-
ests apart from his legitimate pursuits. He is president of the
German Club of Staten Island, and has been a member of the
board of trustees of the village of New Brighton. His public
spirit induced him to accept the office of supervisor of the town
of Castleton, but aside from this he has declined such honors.
He is a member of the German Lutheran church of Stapleton
and president of its board of trustees.

Mr. Herpich was married on the 22d of February, 1857, to
Miss Matilda, daughter of Ephraim Hoffman, of Weissenburg,
Bavaria. Their only son, Carl Augustus, is now pursuing his
studies.

HILLYER. John Hillyer, sometimes written Hilliard, lived
on Staten Island in 1693, and married Elizabeth Dey in 1714.
their children were : John, Elizabeth, Mary, James, William,
Nathaniel, Simon and Lawrence. The present families of the
name are descended from the youngest son Lawrence. His son
John was born in July, 1763, and died in July, 1848. His wife
Elsie Merrill was born in November, 1768, and died in August,
1858. Their children were : Lawrence, and John B., the father
of James A., late of the firm of Pine, Hillyer & Co., of West
New Brighton; and Abraham, of the firm of Hillyer & Hartley,
of New Brighton, beside several other children.

Other Hillyers are mentioned in the records of St. Andrew's
church as follows : John and Esther his wife had a daughter,



544 HISTORY OF KICHMOND COUNTY.

born September 19, 1756; a son, Nathaniel, born October 2,
1765; a daughter, born November 14, 1768. John, Jr., had a
son Abraham, born January 20, 1759. William and Dinah his
wife had a daughter, born December 24, 1748, and a daughter,
born September 11, 1756. John and Mary his wife had a
daughter, born March 29, 1774; a son, John, born April 18,
1776. Lawrence and Ann Larzalere married December 4, 1808.

HOLMES. The progenitor of this family was Obadiah, or, as
he sometimes wrote it, " o Badiah." He came from England
in the latter half of the seventeenth century, and obtained a
patent for a valuable tract of land in Southtield, which remained
in the family for several generations. His name is found in the
county records as early as 1683. There is a link missing in the
family chain, which it now appears impossible to supply. There
is no record of the names of his children. His grandson Samuel
lived and died on the paternal estate, and had six daughters
and two sons, Baker and Samuel. The latter married Margaret,
daughter of Stephen Cole, and had the following children :
Samuel, James, John, Cornelius, Van Rensselaer, George W.,
Eliza, and Ann, wife of David Mersereau, of Northfield.

HOUSMAN. We have no means of ascertaining when the first
of this name came to America from Holland. The earliest men-
tion of the name is found in the assessment roll of Boswyck
(Bushwick), L. I., where the name of Charles Housman occurs
in the years 1675 and 1676. The earliest mention of the name
in a church record on Staten Island is as follows : John and
Wynje Symons (Simonson) had a daughter, baptized September
4, 1726; a son Aart (Aaron or Arthur) May 24, 1730; a daughter

-, June 1, 1732; a son Dirk, February 29, 1736, died July
29, 1807; a son Abraham, December 9, 1739: a daughter Eliza-
beth, October 11, 1733, and a daughter Jemima, July 19, 1748.
Isaac, born November 4, 1775, died December 2, 1857, he was
married to Hannah Ferine April 9, 1807. Peter had a daughter
baptized August 6, 1785. and another December 7, 1788. The
most prominent members of the family were John, who was for
many years one of the inferior judges of the common pleas, mem-
ber of assembly 1804, surrogate 1809, and supervisor repeatedly,
and Isaac R., also one of the judges, member of assembly 1823,
and supervisor repeatedly. The Sailors' s Snug Harbor property
was purchased from him. Notices of the family are extremely
meager in the county records. James made his will November



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. .">!.">

1, 1801, which was proved September 22, 1803, in which he
s] leaks only of his brothers Anthony and Jacob.

JACOBSON. The first of this name upon the island, of whom
anything is known, was Christian Jacobson. He was a sea-
faring man, and captain of a vessel belonging to and sailing for
the Moravian sect, mention of which is made in connection with
that church. His nationality has been variously credited to
Sweden, Denmark and Holland, with the weight of evidence
pointing toward the latter. He bought and enlarged a farm in
New Dorp, where he lived. During the revolution a party of
British soldiers visited his house at night and shot him, the
wound proving fatal in a few hours. He was a man of consid-
erable wealth. His son, John Van De Venter, was born in
1768, and died in 1826. He had sons, Peter, Cornelius, Bedell,
Israel and Abraham ; and a daughter, who became the wife of
Israel Bedell. Cornelius married a daughter of Isaac R. Hous-
man, and settled on Long Island.

The will of Christian Jacobson bears date January 10, 1782,
and is signed by his mark, attested by sworn witnesses, from
which circumstance it is thought probable that it was made
in his dying hours, after he had received the fatal shock,
and when he was physically unable to write his name.
The will mentions his wife Ann, his son, John V., daughters
Catharina and Elizabeth, and brother-in-law, Cornelius Van-
deventer. To the first of his daughters he gave 1,050,
and to the second 1,000. The will also contains the following
item: "I give to the Brethren's church on Staten Island the
sum of Twenty Pound, and to the Reverend Mr. Gambold the
sum of ten pound, and to the said mr. Gambold the sum of
Twenty Pound for the use of the Missionaries among the
Indians."

JOHNSON. It is impossible to trace the Johnsons back to
their several progenitors in this county. Evidently, they are
not of the same origin. The name is English, but some of them
are of Dutch extraction, having Anglicized the Dutch name of
Jansen. We give extracts from the various records indiscrimi,
nately, leaving each one of the name to appropriate his own
ancestors. The earliest is Peter, who was plaintiff in a law
suit in 1680. Thomas and Ann Bouwman, son Casper, baptized
June 30, 1728. Johannes and Jannetje (Jane) Glascow, son
Thomas, baptized February 29, 1736. Nathaniel and Sophia

35



546 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

Van Gelder, son Henricks, baptized November 19, 1738. Niers
and Sara Morgen had daughters, baptized in 1731, 1739 and
1740. Peter and Mary Taylor were married October 24, 1754.
Isaac and Elender Bowman were married in 1764. Peter and
Malli (Molly) Lister, son Jonneton (Jonathan), baptized Oc-
tober 2, 1755. John and Cornelia Ceilo, son Peter, baptized
November 7, 1753. The above are from the Dutch church
records, except the marriages of Isaac and Peter, which, with
the following, are from St. Andrew's. Dowe and Margaret,
daughter Ann, born May 7, 1771. Dowe made his will Novem-
ber 10, 1783, proved June 7, 1788, in which he mentions his sons
Dowe and James. Winant and Mary had a daughter Sophia,
born December 17, 1772, and a son David born April 13, 1774.
Winant, not the above, made his will June 18, 1803, proved
June 30, 1803, in which he mentions his wife Mary and sons
Winant and Jesse. These sons married : Winant, Catharine
Guyon, November 27, 1797, and Jesse, Rachel Totten. January
11, 1804. Mattice (Matthias) had a son William, born July 17,
1751, who was baptized in May, 1772, then an adult. George
had a son Thomas, born August 17, 1771. Isaac and Ploney
(Appolonia) Frome were married in March, 1772. Nathaniel and
Catharine Woglom were married November 9, 1791. Louis and
Phebe Van Pelt were married December 24, 1793. John (born
in 1770, died June 2, 1832), and Patty (Martha) Bedell were
married March 23, 1794. He was a potter and carried on his
business on the Shore road, in the vicinity of Elm Park, Port
Richmond. They had the following sons : John, merchant at
Richmond, S. I., born January 3, 1795, died December 19, 1859;
Joseph B., merchant at Port Richmond, born in November,
1786, died July 4, 1849; Israel D., merchant at Port Richmond,
born April 15, 1803, died February 9, 1873 ; and James.

Jacob, brother of the potter, married Eliza Haughwout, July
28, 1795; their sons were Peter H., James, Isaac, Benjamin and
Jacob. William, brother of the potter, married Catharine
Martling, April 28, 1802; their sons were John, James, William,
Edward and Channing; they had also a daughter Sarah, who
married Hugh Gibson, and died August 25, 1826, in her 69th
year; their son John, born February 13, 1803, died November
3, 1865. Edward, brother of the potter, born October 12, 1776,
died September 4, 1856. Abraham and Jane Jennings were
married September 24, 1794. David and Jane Winant were



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 547

married June 23, 1796. Ephraim and Catharine Laforge were
married October 10, 1797. James and Letitia Totten were mar-
ried February 20, 1805. Anthony and Fanny Oakley were
married January 28, 1807. Esek, of Tottenville, was grandson
of James, and son of Abraham, who built one of the first
houses on the Billop estate, after the sale by confiscation.

JONES. There were several families of this name in the
county from early dates, between whom there appears to have
been no relationship whatever. We submit a brief genealogy
of some of the earl}' families of this name.

The earliest one named is Edward, whose wife was Catharine
Decker, and they had the following children: Edward, baptized
July 20, 1718, died young; Mattheus, baptized November 2,
1719; Abigail, baptized April 22, 1722; Edward, baptized Au-
gust 14, 1726. Mattheus, above named, married Margaritje
(Margaret) Gowan, and they had a daughter Catharine, baptized
June 7, 1743.

There was a John, whose wife was Rachael Van Engelen, and
they had the following children: Elizabeth, baptized April 10,
1732; Johannes, baptized March 9, 1735; a daughter, baptized
in 1737; Lucretia, baptized March 30, 1740; Isaac, baptized
April 22, 1747. Abraham and Janneije Persnet had a daughter
Jane, baptized May 2, 1753. Edward and Martha, his wife, had
a son Abraham, born March 31, 1772. Abraham died on a pass-
age from Shelbourne, N. S., in July, 1792.

JOURNEAY. Moillart Journeay, from Pays de Vaud, came to
America in April, 1663, in the ship called "The Spotted Cow,"
but where he settled is not known. The earliest mention of the
family in connection with the island is in the following court
record:

"Administration Granted to Mr. Paulus Richards & Obadiah
Holmes on the Estate of Malliard lournei.

" Whereas Malliard lourie late of Staten Island, did in his
Last will & Testament give & bequeath all his Estate of what
nature or kind soever unto his wife Elizabeth du Mon, for the
Maintenence of her Selfe & Children during her Widdowhood,
but in Case shee should happen to Remarry then the Estate
shee should Leave to be divided Equally, the one half or Moiety
to his wife; the other halfe or Moiety to her Children nominat-
ing & appointing David De Marez & loost Van Obinis Exec-
ute. rs in Trust to see the pformance of the S.d Will, And it Soe



548 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

Happening that the s. d Elizabeth hath since Joyned her selfein
marriage to another pson npon Staten Island, but the afore-
named David De Marez & loost Van Oblinis have neglected
their duty in Causeing a division to bee made of the Estate of
the deceased as directed or takeing any other Care thereof, of
which Complaint was made at the Court of Sessions for the
West Riding of Yorke Shire upon Long Island, held at Graves-
end June last, who nominated & appoynted Mr Paulus Rich-
ards of this City Merch.t & Obadiah Holmes of Staten Island
in their Stead & Places.

" Dated in New Yorke the 8 day of July 1678."

John Journeay bought and sold land in 1700. The name is
not again met with in any church record now in existence, until
we find it in that of St. Andrew's church, about the middle of
the last century, as follows: John and Martha his wife had the
following children: John, born January 4, 1752; Albert, born
March 8, 1755; Nicholas, born August 22, 1756; William, born
August 6, 1759, and Richard, born August 7, 1771.

The above named Nicholas is mentioned in the county rec-
ords in 1791 as Nicholas, Jr.; there must therefore have been
another Nicholas, whose name we have nowhere met. Nicho-
las, son of John, had a son Nicholas, baptized November 1,
1789. Joseph and Mary Winant were married December 29,
1807. John and Patience Cole were married in July, 1802.
John (not the last named, unless Patience Cole was his second
wife) made his will March 7, 1803, proved April 21, 1803, in
which he speaks of his wife Patience, his sons Albert, Robert,
Abraham, John, William, James and Richard, and his daugh-
ters Martha Randolph, Catharine Fountain and Maria, wife of
Dr. Henderson. Maria Journeay was married to Dr. R. Hender-
son in 1792.

LAFORGE. The name of- - De la Forge appears in the
assessment roll of Boswyck (Bushwick) in 1676, and among
those who took the oath of allegiance in Kings county in 1687,
is the name of Adrian La fforge, who had then been in the
county fifteen years. In 1738 there was an Adrian Laforge, who
bought land on Staten Island. From the similarity of the name,
the inference is natural that if they were not identical, they
were connected; this is, however, conjecture. There appear to
have been two branches o'f the family, the Castleton and the
Westfield, who may or may not have had a common origin. The




THE BARNE TYSEN HOLISfc-
Kai'le's Neek. Built ab




THE DANIEL LAKb, MUUsc..
i -p. Built before 1 TOO.



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 549

present living representative of the Castleton branch is Mr. G.
M. Laforge, of Illinois. The late Mr. Peter D. Laforge, also of
Illinois, and the late Capt. John Laforge, of West New Brigh-
ton, were his brothers. Their father was David, and their mother
Gertrude, daughter of John Martling (see Martling family).
David's father was Peter, who was the son of Benjamin; David's
brothers were Peter, John, Benjamin, Jacob, Richard Channing
Moore. Peter, David's brother, was the father of Mr. Peter C.
and David, of Port Richmond.

Of the Westfield branch, we have only the following notices:
David and Catharine had a son Henry Seguine, baptized May
15, 1790. John and Phebe Bedell married September 15, 1804.
James and Catharine Winant married February 8, 1S06.
David and Ann Johnson married July 8, 1807.

LAKE. This family is of English origin and settled on Staten
Island about 1670. Daniel Lake applied for a grant in 1679. He
had two sons, Daniel and William. Daniel died in 1723, leaving a
son Daniel, who was born January 26, 1719, died July 10, 1762,
leaving a son William, born January 7, 1750, died March 21,
1783, leaving a son Daniel W., born September 9, 1780, married
Miss Mary Gifford, daughter of William Barnard Gifford,
Esq., March 31, 1803, died October 6, 1835. He left sons,
John still living at Buffalo, N. Y., and Arthur G., born Octo-



Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesHistory of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time → online text (page 53 of 72)