Richard Mather Bayles.

History of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time online

. (page 72 of 72)
Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesHistory of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time → online text (page 72 of 72)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the time and maintained the highest reputation for his
goods. Meanwhile his sons, George Frederick, Charles C.,
and Edward B., after a thorough education in their own
country and in Europe, were made familiar with the business to
which they succeeded in 1878. Mr. Kreischer was one of the
original trustees of the Dry Dock Savings Bank. He was an
active member of the Masonic fraternity and connected with
various charitable organizations, much time and aid having been
given by him to the Association for the Improvement of the
Condition of the Poor of New York. At Kreischerville, named
in his honor, he was held in high esteem for his active, intelli-
gent participation in every movement tending to the moral and
material advancement of the community. One of his latest
acts of benevolence was the gift of St. Peter's German Lutheran
Church to the congregation, free of debt. The death of Mr.



736 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

Kreischer occurred on the 25th of August, 1886, at Kreischer-
ville.

The Jewett White Lead Company's works, at Port Rich-
mond, on Staten Island, were established in 1842, under the firm
name of John Jewett & Sons, and have since been greatly en-
larged, until they now occupy about two and a half acres of
ground. The main building for manufacturing purposes is one
hundred and fifty feet long, forty feet wide and three stories
high. In this building the machinery is propelled by an en-
gine of eighty horse power. In the year 1862 another building
was erected for manufacturing purposes, one hundred and fifty
feet long, thirty-five feet wide and three stories high. In this
building the machinery is propelled by an engine of forty
horse power. The works have a capacity for producing three
thousand tons of pure white lead annually, and they consume
about two thousand tons of coal and employ one hundred men.
The quality of their productions is well and favorably known
to dealers in all parts of the country.

In the year 1882 the company was reorganized, under the
name of "The Jewett White Lead Company," with the follow-
ing officers : Benjamin C. Webster, president ; James W. Sel-
lick, secretary ; Charles H. Jewett, secretary. The sub office
for the transaction of business is at 28 Burling slip, in the city
of New York.

The corroding houses, of which there are three, are frame
structures, each about one hundred and fifty feet long and sixty-
five feet wide, and of the usual height to accommodate the
beds. James B. Pollock, superintendent, has been connected
with the works twenty-nine years, twenty of which he has been
superintendent, proving himself a very successful and efficient
one.

Two of the partners, Messrs. Gr. W. Jewett and J. A. Dean,
commenced the manufacture of linseed oil in 1869. The build-
ings, which are nearly a mile west of the white lead works, also
stand between the Shore road and Kill Von Kull, and partly on
a large wharf. The main building is of brick, three stories high,
one hundred and twenty feet long by seventy six feet wide, with
an addition seventy-six by twenty-five feet, and a tower con-
taining a public clock. This establishment employs about
fifty men, and manufactures about half a million of gallons




OC

W
X

o



p

Ui



I



u.





Z
u

Q



>

Z



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 737

of oil annually. The works are now owned by J. A. Dean &
Company.

The manufacture of silk has been carried on for several
years at New Brighton by the Irving Manufacturing Com-
pany, under the management of John Irving. This establish-
ment has been lately devoted to the manufacture of dress
linings. An office is maintained at 84 Franklin street, New
York.

At the same place in New Brighton the Manchester Manufac-
turing Company, consisting of John Irving and William G.
Hartley, of Manchester, England, recently began operations.
The partnership was formed in the early part of 1885 for the
manufacture of silk and cotton plush, mohair, woolen uphols-
tering and dress goods and velvets. Forty new looms of im-
proved invention were placed in the old silk mill on Jersey
street, and the work was begun during the summer. A force
of about fifty men and girls was set to work. The manufacture
of a silk plush strongly resembling sealskin was made a spec-
ialty. The business was commenced with the employment of
about $100,000 capital.

JOHN IRVINO was born April 17, 1844, in County Derry, Ire-
land, and educated principally at the night schools of his na-
tive place. At the age of twelve he was apprenticed to the
weaver's trade and at seventeen embarked in the manufacture
of fine linen, with such marked success that soon after he had
several looms in operation. Discovering in America a wider
field for his ability he, in 1866, emigrated, and settled in Patter-
son, N. J., as an employee of R. & H. Adams & Co. Leaving
this firm at the expiration of the third year, he spent three
years in New York, and then established in Brooklyn a factory
for the making of book muslins for the dry goods trade, which
he was the first to introduce into this country. In 1881 Mr.
Irving purchased the valuable property now owned by him in
New Brighton, and began the manufacture of India linens,
Victoria lawns, tarlatanes, and mohair and silk plushes for up-
holstery. There being little competition in these fabrics he is
able largely to control their production and finds a ready
market in all the large cities of the United States. Mr. Irving
devotes his attention exclusively to his extensive business, and
as a consequence lias no leisure to bestow upon public enter-
prises or private schemes. He was married on the 15th of
47



738 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

April, 1864, to Eliza, daughter of Robert McElroy. of County
Derry, Ireland. Their children are: William, Margaret, John
and Geogre W.

The Linoleum works are located at the western extremity of
the Richmond turnpike, on the shore of Arthur kill or Staten
Island sound. The enterprise was established here a little more
than ten years ago, by a joint stock company having a capital
of four hundred and fifty thousand dollars, a considerable part
of the stock being owned in England. The title of the corpo-
ration is " The American Linoleum Manufacturing Company,"
and the article manufactured is a floor cloth, which is made
from ground cork and linseed oil under patents held by the
company. This was the first venture in the manufacture of
such an article in this country, and as far as we know is now
the only one in operation. The article is a substitute for oil
cloth, being much more durable, and though perhaps more
costly to begin with, is for the reason suggested less expensive
in the end.

The plant is located on a tract of about two hundred acres
owned by the company. Building was begun in August, 1873,
and in the course of three years the works erected covered an
area of about seven acres. The manufactured goods were first
placed on the market in January, 1875. Joseph Wild was the
president of the company at the beginning of its operations,
and J. Cartledge was the manufacturing director.

The company has been eminently successful in its business,
the products meeting with a general approval and ready sale.
For many years the demand for their goods was ahead of their
capacity to supply it. Steam to the amount of one hundred
and forty horse power was used and about two hundred
workmen employed, the works being run by night and by
day. Electric lights were used to facilitate night work. A
village was erected about the works, and this is now con-
nected by stages making several trips daily over the beauti-
ful macadamized road to Port Richmond, about five miles
distant.

De Jonge's paper factory was originally located in New York
city, but as business increased and additional facilities became
imperative, the works were removed to Staten Island in 1852.
They are located on the south side of Richmond turnpike,




'Ritddf.




HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 739

about half a mile from Tompkinsville. Louis De Jonge and
Charles F. Zentgraf are the proprietors, and carry on the busi-
ness of coloring, printing and finishing fancy paper, under the
style of Louis De Jonge & Co. The capital invested is about
$200,000, and the annual value of the manufactures about
$300,000. The works cover an area of about two acres, the
principal building is about two hundred and fifty feet long by
forty feet wide, with a wing at right angles of one hundred
and twenty-five by thirty feet. From one hundred and ten to
one hundred and twenty hands are regularly employed in the
establishment, and the engines, in the aggregate, are about one
hundred horse power. The office of the company is at 71 and
73 Duane street, New York city.

The Windsor plaster mills, said to have been among the
largest of the kind in the country, were located at New Brighton,
on the shore of the kills, where they had a frontage of over
two hundred feet, and near the foot of Jersey street. About
ninety men were employed there. The buildings were de-
stroyed by fire on the 19th of July, 1885, destroying prop-
erty to the amount of about $225,000. The works were owned
by Messrs. J. B. King & Co., the "company" being Peter
C. Biegel, George H. Wooster and George R. King. Tue
debris was immediately cleared away and the mills were
rebuilt.

About twenty-five or thirty years ago a factory was estab-
lished at Seguine's Point for the purpose of obtaining the oil
from palm nuts, by expressing. The works were erected by a
company composed of Joseph H. and Stephen Seguine, Isaac
K. Jessup and Major Bennett. Tlie work did not prove remu-
nerative, and the establishment was afterward devoted to the
manufacture of candles. This was also abandoned as unprofit-
able, and about the year 1865 the factory was sold to Algernon
K. Johnson.

In the factory above mentioned, sometime after its purchase
by Mr. Johnston, the Johnston Brothers, of whom he was one,
placed their machinery, and began the manufacture of dental
supplies. This work consists of a wide range of articles : gold
foil, dental instruments, dental chairs, brackets, engines,
lathes, inhalers, and, in short, whatever a dentist needs in his
business.

The liquefaction of nitrous oxide gas was first accomplished



740 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.

in this country and on a commercial scale at these works. The
business of Johnston Brothers, and that of the late Mr. S. S.
White have been merged into the " S. S. White Dental Manu-
facturing Company," and is now located here. About two hun-
dred hands are employed, and the goods, which are acknowl-
edged as the best made in the world, are sent all over the
United States and to every part of Europe.

Other manufactures have been in operation on the island.
Among them was the manufacture of rubber cloth, which was
begun by the New York India Rubber Cloth Company in 1835.
This company was incorporated by an act passed March 11
of that year, with a capital stock of $100,000, which was divided
into shares of fifty dollars each. The directors appointed by
the act were : Samuel Marsh, Nathan Barrett and David V. N.
Mersereau. A building was erected in New Brighton, and
the business was for a time successfully carried on. The
building has since been used in the manufacture of paper
hangings.

McCullough's shot factory was in operation for several years
before and during the late war. In May, 1862, it was work-
ing day and night to supply government contracts for min-
ie balls, to the amount of several hundred tons. It stood
near the steamboat landing at Stapleton. About the close of
the war it was abandoned for the purpose for which it had
been used, and the tower was pulled down. The building
otherwise was enlarged and converted into a cream tartar fac-
tory, and this, after running but a few weeks, was declared a
nuisance and closed by order of the courts.

The manufacture of mowing machines by the Hopkins
Mower Company is about being established upon the island,
but at the time of this writing their plans are not sufficiently
developed to become a part of history. The company has
been incorporated under the laws of New Jersey, and its of-
ficers are : Alexander M. Holmes, president ; Rev. Thomas
S. Yocum, vice-president ; Thomas L. James, treasurer, and
A. K. Johnston, secretary.

There are two gas light companies doing business on the
island. These are the Richmond County Gas Light Company,
which has been established about twenty-five years, and the
Staten Island Gas Light Company, established in 1884. Both
have their manufacturing works at Stapleton. The former has



HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 741

about fifty miles of mains laid and manufactures about thirty
million cubic feet of gas per annum. Their grounds, build-
ings, etc., are valued at about $100,000. The capital stock of
the company is $400,000, nearly the whole of which has been
actually issued. The annual dividends have generally been as
high as six or seven per cent.






Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesHistory of Richmond County (Staten Island), New York from its discovery to the present time → online text (page 72 of 72)