er went to Germany and entered the Polytechnic Uni-
versity at Zurich, Switzerland, where he remained
four years. On his return he again went into the
factory at Kreischerville, and in 1872 was made super-
intendent of the factory. In 1878, he was made a mem-
ber of the firm of B. Kreischer & Sons, and at the
opening of the New York Anderson Pressed Brick
factory, he was made superintendent of that busi-
ness, which he managed successfully until the spring
of 1891, when he resigned and went to Europe.
Mr. Kreischer has held several town offices and has
been trustee of the Kreischerville school district for
the last twenty years and an elder in St. Peter's Church
since it was organized. He is the first regent of Ar-
thur Kill Ccuncil 1408, Royal Arcanum, and a mem-
ber of Huguenot Lodge 381, F. & A. M., and Staten Isl-
and Chapter 145, R. A. M.
On June igth, 1879, ^ r - Kreischer married AntoniaG.,
second daughter of Mr. George Wanier, of New York.
Mr. and Mrs. Kreischer have one son, Arthur G., aged
eleven years, now a student at St. Austin's school,
Mr. Kreischer has always been a staunch Democrat
and has wielded a potent influence in the councils of
the party, and has often been tendered the nomina-
tion for important offices, but has preferred to devote
his time to his large business interests.
EDWARD. B. KREISCHER.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.
EDWARD B., the youngest of the children of the late
JBalthasar Kreischer, was born in New York city Feb-
ruary iSth, 1853. He was educated in the public schools
in the city and was graduated with honor from Pack-
ard's Business College. His first experience in busi-
ness was as book-keeper in his father's office in New
York. He remained there but a short time, when he
was appointed purchasing agent and paying teller for
Steinway & Sons' great piano house.
When his father was appointed president of the
Staten Island railway, Mr. Kreischer was put in charge
of the ticket department and had the management of
all the stations along the line of the road.
In 1877, Mr. Kreischer entered the factory at Kreisch-
erville, and in 1878, was made a member of the firm
of B. Kreischer & Sons, and from that time to the pres-
ent has been, either in connection with his brother
Charles C., or alone, the manager of the manufactur-
ing department of the business.
In 1884, Mr. Kreischer built the handsome residence
on the hill above the factory, where he now resides.
He has held the office for school collector at Kreisch-
erville for the past fourteen years, he has been an el-
der in vSt. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church
since it was established, is treasurer of the church, of
the Mutxial Aid Society of the employes of B. Kreisch-
er & Sons and is vice-regent of Arthur Kill Council 1408,
Royal Arcanum. On June iQth, 1877, Mr. Kreischer
married Freda, eldest daughter of Mr. George Wanier,
then of New York city, but now living at Kreischer-
ville. They have one son, Harry A., aged fourteen
years, a student of St. Austin's school at New Brigh-
Mr. Kreischer is a thorough business man arid
manages with marked ability and success the large
business established by his father and still conducted
under the name o B. Kreischer & Sons.
HON. E. P. DOYLE.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.
HON. EDWARD P. DOYLE was born, at Mariners' Harbor,
June 8th, 1860. He was graduated from the public
schools at the age of twelve years, and took his first
position in a New York ship broker's office, after
which he spent eleven years with a wholesale shoe
He was secretary of the Democratic congressional
convention for this district in 1882, and was chairman
of the county convention in 1883, He was elected
member of assembly in 1885, and gained the reputa-
tion of being one of the hardest, workers in that body.
It was largely owing to his indefatigable labor that
the present oyster law and many laws for the protec-
tion of fish and oysters were placed on the statute
books of this state.
Mi~. Doyle was supervisor for the town of Northfield
from 1886 to 1891, and was one of the hardest working
and most efficient members of the board. From 1886 to
1892, he was secretary of the joint commission for fix-
ing the boundary between the states of New York and
New Jersey. He is and has. been since 1887, secretary
and engineer of the New York Fish Commission, was
secretary of the old New York. Free Trade Club, was
the first secretary of the Reform Club, and American
correspondent of the Cobden Club, is a member of the
Reform and Commonwealth Clubs and of the Staten
Island Cricket Club, is president and treasurer of the
Staten Island Produce Company, secretary and treas-
urer of the Aquahonga and the Manor Park L,and Com-
panies, secretary of the Northfield and Prohibition
Park Building and Loan Associations, secretary of the
finance committee of Co-operative Building Bank, a
trustee of the Richmond County Savings Bank, and
a member of the firm of Reedy & Co.
It will be seen that Mi. Doyle is a very busy man,
working both with his head and hands, and tliat he
has played no small part in the material advancement
of Staten Island.
JOHN H. ELSWORTH.
PROMINENT MEN OF GTATEN ISLAND, 1893. 77
JOHN H. ELSWORTH. son of Capt. \Ym. Elsworth, was
born at Bayonne, N. J., in. 1843. He was educated in the
schools at B-iyoima, and remained th^re in business
with his brothers, who were extensive oyster planters,
until 1877, when he came to Stateti Island and entered
into co-partnership with his present partner, Capt.
Peter Polworth, in the oyster planting business, in
which line the firm has always done a sticcessful
business and attained a high financial rating.
Mr. Elsworth has always been a staunch, hard-
working and active Republican. In 1888, he received
the unanimous nomination of the Richmond County
Republican Convention, for the office of sheriff, and was
elected by nearly two hundred majority, although it
was a presidential year and Cleveland carried the county
by nearly nineteen hundred. A desperate effort was
made to defeat his election on forged returns, but the
fraud was discovered in time to prevent his defeat, and
he was triumphantly vishered into office, Jan. ist, 1889.
During his term of office Sheriff Elsworth was often
publicly complimented by the supreme court jtidges,
and by the county judge, on the efficient and faithful
manner in which he performed the duties of the office,
and at the close of his official term Justice Culleii, of
the supreme court, and the members of the cotinty bar,
irrespective of party, paid a high tribute to the man-
ner in which Mr. Elsworth had performed his duties
during his entire term.
Mr. Elsworth comes of a sea- faring family, noted for
their skill in seamanship, his father having been a
captain of a coasting vessel, at the early age of four-
teen years. His brother Philip was a successful de-
signer of yachts. Among the famous craft designed
by him were the Montague, the Grayling and the
Atlantic. His brother Joseph was one of the most
skillful skippers that ever sailed in New York harbor.
He commanded the Puritan in its race against the
English yacht Genesta, and the May Flower against
the Galatea, in both of which races he was successful,
and won the cup.
Mr. Elsworth was married on the thirty-fourth
anniversary of his birthday, June 2ist, 1877, to Miss
Elizabeth W. Jones, daughter of James S. Jones, of
Snow Hill, Md. They hr.ve no children,
JOHN L. DAILEY.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 79
JOHN LINDERMAN DAILEY.
JOHN LINDERMAN DAILEY, the only son of the Rev. J. P.
Dailey, was born in 1853, at Flemingtoii, N. J., where
his father was stationed as the pastor of the Metho-
dist Episcopal church. His mother was a direct de-
scendant of Gert. Daniel Erodhead, one of Washington's
most able and trusted officers during the Revolution.
In 1874, Mr. Dailey's father was appointed pastor of
St. Paul's Church, Tottenville, and the family came to
Staten Island to live, and since that time Mr. Dailey
has been a resident of Tottenville.
He was always a staunch Republican and early took
to politics, his first campaign being for the office of
justice of the peace in 1877 for which he received the
nomination of both parties. In 1883, and again in 1886,
he was elected highway commissioner, being the only
man on the ticket elected in 1886. In 1885, he ran
for member of assembly against the late Edward A.
Moore, and again in 1889 against Daniel T. Cornell, when
he had the highest vote of any man on the ticket and
was beaten by only about 300 majority, while the aver-
age Democratic majority was over i, 100.
In January 1889, on the accession of John H. Els-
worth to the office of sheriff, Mr. Dailey was appointed
under-slier iff and remained in office till the close of
Mr. Els worth's term.
During his term of office as under- sheriff, Judge Cul-
len publicly complimented Mr. Dailey from the bench
upon the prompt and efficient manner in which he
performed the duties of his office, and at the last term of
the county court, before Sheriff Elsworth's term of office
expired Judge Stephens spoke in the highest terms of
the manner in which the sheriff and uiider-sheriff had
conducted the office through their entire term, and
the members of the bar of Richmond county unan-
imously passed resolutions to the same effect.
In 1891, Mr. Dailey received the unanimous nomina-
tion of the Republican convention to the office of sheriff
and came within 1 1 5 votes of election, although Roswell
P. Flower, for governor, carried the county by nearly
i, 600 majority.
There is 110 Republican in. Richmond county who
can point to a record of political campaigns which have
so reduced the large majorities iisually polled by the
Democratic party as Mr. John L. Dailey, and he has often
been called the "most popular man in Richmond
WILLIAM S. BACOT.
Ex-County Road Engineer.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1X93. Sl
WILLIAM SINCLAIR BACOT, member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers, was born at East Orange,
N. J., April 1 9th, in the year 1860.
His family is descended from the French Huguenots,
of Touraiixe, France, who settled in the colony of
South Carolina, at Charleston, in the year 1694.
His father, Robert C. Bacot, came north in 1838
and married Mary Gilchrist, likewise of French de-
scent, the granddaughter of John Vacher, a surgeon
who served with the Continental army in the Revolu-
tion. He took up his residence in New York and
subsequently in New Jersey, where he and his family
have lived ever since. Robert C. Bacot, following his
profession, now holds the position of chief en-
gineer of the Riparian Commission of the state of
New Jersey, to which he was appointed in 1865.
William Sinclair Bacot was schooled in Hudson
county, New Jersey, and entered Princeton College in
the year 1877.
After pursuing a course of engineering in that in-
stitution he was graduated in the year 1881. Several
years later he received from that college the degree of
For the first five years after his college career Mr.
Bacot devoted his time to the stvuly of engineer-
ing, practicing meanwhile in the capacity of assistant
on several important public works. He first filled
the place of second assistant on the constrtiction of
the Hackensack water-works under Charles B. Brush,
C. E., now vice-president of the American Society
of Civil Engineers, and afterward as first assistant
on the water-works of Greenwich, Conn., Mount Ver-
11011, and Fishkill, N. V. In the course of events he
became chief engineer of the last three mentioned
works, which position he still holds 011 those at Green-
wich. While so acting many other engineering pro-
jects have fallen to his task, prominent among which
may be noticed the preliminary planning of the new
water supply for the city of Albany, and the construc-
tion of a system of Telford roads in the village of Lenox,
Shortly after the passage of the county roads act
in June 1890, he was appointed to the position of
county engineer, by the board of supervisors, of Rich-
mond county. The results of his efforts are too well-
known to need further description.
Mr. Bacot is a Mason, a member of Tompkins L,odge
No. 471, F. & A. M., and is also enrolled in the member-
ship of many other organizations on the Island and
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 33
BENJAMIN BROWN came to Staten Island in 1853 from
New York, where he was reared and educated. His
first entrance into politics was in 1861, when he was
elected to the office of constable on the Democratic
ticket. In 1869, after one of the hardest fights known
in local politics, he was elected trustee of the village
of Edgewater, which office he held for several years.
serving also one term as president of the board.
In 1876, he was elected to the office of sheriff, and
at the expiration of his term was elected treasurer
and collector for the village of Edgewater which offices
he held for three years when, in 1882, he was again
elected sheriff. At the expiration of his second term,
he was made under-sheriff under John J. Vaughan, Jr.,
thus serving nine years as sheriff and under-sheriff.
During the days of the old Volunteer Fire Depart-
ment, Mr. Brown was the prime mover in organizing
the E jgewater Fire Department and was for a time its
president and treasurer, and for six years its chief
engineer. Soon after the breaking out of the Civil
war, he helped to organize the fifth Ira Harris Cavalry,
and was its first forage master.
He is a strong advocate of L,o;m Associati ons and al-
ways endeavors to impress upon the working man the
benefits to be derived by joining the in and owning his
In 1887, he organized Pioneer Lodge of the Ancient
Order of United Workmen which lodge soon readied
a membership of two hundred; this organization is a
benevolent order or life insurance and has paid for
its sick and deceased brethren over seventy thou-
sand dollars in this short space o' time. He was made
district deputy the same year and has organized ten
lodges in this county. The tenth lodge Vigilant, No. 429,
was instituted 011 November nth with the largest list
of charter members of any that has yet been organized
in the county.
Mr. Brown is now engaged in the coal and wood busi-
ness at Stapletoii; having purchased the long estab-
lished coal yard of S. C. Hall, where he is doing a
thriving and prosperous business.
JOHN S. WARDE,
Superintendent S. I. Water Supply Co.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 85
JOKN S. WARIJE, only son ol Mary J. and the late Will-
iam D. Warde, was born, near Tarrytown, Westchester
county, in 1840. He was educated at Tarrytown, and
when only thirteen years of age, he was appointed by
Isaac V. Fowler, then postmaster of New York city, to
a position in the New York post-office, where he re-
mained until tne war broke out in 1861, when he re-
signed his position and became a member of Company
I, of the 9th Regiment N. Y. S. Militia, afterward
known as the 83rd N. Y. State Volunteers.
Mr. Warde took quite an active part in raising- and
equiping the above company, and they left New York
June 1 7th, 1861, to join the regiment which was then
at the front, in General Patterson's division, Army of
the Potomac. In 1864, he was transferred to the io4th,
N. Y. S. Volunteers, and after the surrenc" er of L,ee,
was mustered out of the service under general order.
Upon his return to New York, Mr. Warde was ap-
pointed to a position in the Erie R. R. under O. H. P.
Archer. Some time after this, the Mercantile Safe De-
posit Co. was organized, one of the first companies of
the kind in New York, and having been tendered a
position with them, he severed his connection with
In 1873, ^ r - Warde moved to Brooklyn, and a short
time afterward, obtained a position in the water de-
partment of the City Works Department. He was
assigned to the purveyors' department under Peter
Millne. In 1881, he resigned and came to Stateii Isl-
and as superintendent of the S. I. Water Supply
When Mr. Warde assumed charge the company
possessed one engine, one boiler and fifteen miles
of pipe, with a capacity of 1,000,000 gallons per day.
There are now three engines, three boilers, about fifty
miles of pipe, and the daily capacity is over 5,000,000.
In 1885, he became a member of Medora H. & L,. Co.,
No. 3, and has represented that company in the board
of representatives of the North Shore Fire Department
since that time. He was vice-president of the board
for two years, and he is now serving his sixth term as
president. He was on the committee chosen to draw
up the articles of incorporation, and was a leading
member of the committee instrumental in having the
department incorporated. He is also a member of
Scotia Lodge F. & A. M., of New York city, and of Ty-
rian Chapter R. A. M., of Staten Island, of Richmond
Post G. A. R. , also Staten Island Council, Royal Ar_
8 6 PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.
canum, and Staten. Island L,odge, Knights of Pythias,
01 which he is past chancellor commander.
In politics, Mr. Warde has always been an active
Republican, and has been on the General Committee
from Castleton nearly all the years of his residence
on Stateii Island. In 1892, he was the Republican can-
didate for supervisor from the town of Castleton, and
although defeated by Robert Moore, Democrat, he re-
duced his Democratic opponent's usually large ma-
jority of from 500 to 800, to 268.
In 1 86 1, two months previous to his enlistment, Mr,
Warde married Miss Lizzie Jean Clark, daughter of
Mary E. and the late George W Clark, a well-known
New York artist. Mr. and Mrs. Warde have two sons,.
Charles S. and John S. Jr., the former of whom was
married in 1892 to Miss I/uqueer Meylert. of Port Rich-
mond, and has one child, Charles S. , Jr
PROMINENT MEN OF ST^TEN ISLAND, 1893.
HORACE E. BUEL.
HORACE E. BUEL, chairman of the Republican General
Committee, is the eldest son of Orlando W. Buel. He
was born on Staten Island, October 1852. His father
settled on the Island in 1836 and established the mar-
ble cutting business at Port Richmond, where the
business is still carried on by .Mr. Buel and his father.
In 1871, he joined Fire "Engine Company No. 3, of the
Port Richmond Fire Department, in which he has held
every office up to that of chief. He is also a member
of the board of health of the village of Port Richmond.
Mr. Buel has always been connected with, and is a
prominent working member of the Republican party, but
has never been an aspirant for political favors or Ittcra-
tive offices. He has been a member of the General Com-
mittee about ten years, and at the organization of the
last General Committee, he was elected chairman
Mr. Buel is a man of quiet and unassuming man-
ners, but with a clear head and a good stock of hard
common sense, and is just the man to keep a political
organization harmonious and tinited and to keep it in
good fighting order.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 89
CALVIN DETRICK, second son of Samuel and Catharine
Detrick, was born at Stroudsburg, Pa. His father
was a farmer, and farm air, food and associations
strengthened in young Detrick the qualities of mind
and of body that afterwai d proved invaluable to him.
The scholastic year at the nearest school never ex-
ceeded three months. This was not to the liking of
either the father or son, so the latter, when he was
about sixteen, was sent to the Strotidsburg Academy,
at which he applied himself closely to his books for
Shortly before he attained his twentieth year he
went into business with a friend, the firm bearing the
name of Pinchot & Detrick. They had a country store
at Milford, Pa. , and did a thriving business. Mr. Det-
rick longed, however, for the greater opportunities
afforded by a city. He, therefore, sought and obtained
employment in a wholesale drygoods and notions house
in New York. He posted himself thoroughly in this
business which was not quite to his fancy, so with a
ready adaptability we next find him a contractor in
Philadelphia, where he engaged in the laying of sewers,
erection of water-works, the building of stone founda-
tions and similar work.
He came to Staten Island in the spring of 1884 and
introduced the present system of supplying water in-
to the village of Edgewater.
In the Spring of 1858 he created and organized the
Richmond Light, Heat and Power Co. which now fur-
nishes New Brighton with electric lighting. He was
its treasurer for some time. Two years later he formed
the Staten Island Light, Heat and Power Company,
which now furnishes Port Richmond and a part of West
Brighton with electric lighting.
Mr. Detrick is in no sense an exploiter. When he
forms a company it is formed to stay and he stays
with it, putting in his own money freely and then giv-
ing his close attention to the details of the enterprise.
Mr. Detrick resides in New Brighton, where he in-
tends to remain. He has invested no small part of his
fortune in Staten Island property.
He descended in a direct line from the sturdy Hol-
In 1882, Mr. Detrick married Miss Jennie Murray, of
Philadelphia. They have three children.
WILLIAM W. CORBETT.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 9 i
WILLIAM W. CORBETT was born in Birmingham, En-
gland, in 1822, and came to America in 1840. In 1843,
he went to Canada, where he remained five years. He
was married, during his residence in Canada, to Miss
Mary Davis. On his return, he worked in New York,
until 1851, when he moved to Stapleton to take charge
of the sash and blind factory of the late Elwood Tay-
lor, He remained there three years, when he went to
Port Richmond, and established a sash and blind fac-
tory of his own and carried on a successful busine* s
until 1866, when he removed his factory and residence
to New Brighton, and continued the business until
In 1861, under President Lincoln's administration,
he was appointed night inspector of customs, of the
old Quarantine district at Tompkinsville, and held the
position for five years, at the end of which term he
was promoted to day inspector with two assistants,
and his district included all Staten Island and Bayonne.
He remained in this position until the second year of
In 1868, he was elected justice of the peace, which
office he held for six consecutive terms. He was jus-
tice of the sessions for ten years, and sat on the bench
with Judges Metcalfe, Westervelt and Stephens.
In politics, he has always been an active Republican,
and was one of the five who organized the Republican
party oil the North Shore, during the Fremont cam-
paign, and helped to hang the first Republican banner
in the county. He was secretary of the first Republic-
an General Committee of the county, of which Geo.
William Curtis was president; and has himself served
two terms as president of the General Committee.
Mr. Corbett still carries on the real estate business
in New Brighton, has been for ten years general mana-
ger for the Henderson estate, is agent for the Society
for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, and has
been since its organization, and is the head of the
Local Detective Agency, recently established on Stateti
Island, with the approval and co-operation of the
county courts and police department.
CAPT. MICHAEL CONKLIN.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. (J3
CAPT. MICHAEL CONKLIN was born, in New York, Sept.
29th, 1828, and was brought tip and educated in the
city. At the early age of nine years he ran away from
home and went to sea. He- made several voyages, after
which he learned the trade of ship-carpenter, in the
shipyard of his father, who was a partner of the late
Alter thoroughly learning his trade he established a
shipyard at New Rochelle, where he overhauled and
repaired nearly all the racing yachts of that time.
In 1854, he came to Stateii Island intending to estab-
lish a shipyard near Quarantine, but subsequently
changed his plans, and formed a partnership with John
E. Armstrong in the business of owning and running
boats, instead of building them.
The first vessel they built was the propeller Res-
cue, the first propellor ever built for towing service
outside the harbor. She was employed by the quaran-