Copyright
Richard Mather Bayles.

Prominent men of Staten Island, 1893 online

. (page 5 of 9)
Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesProminent men of Staten Island, 1893 → online text (page 5 of 9)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tine commissioners during the quarantine season
and at the breaking out of the war of the rebellion
was chartered by the metropolitan police harbor for
patrol. The Rescue and the Washington Hunt were
chartered by the government and remained Sotith all
through the war.

In 1 86 1, thev built the Harriet A. Weed, named after
the daughter of the late Thurlow Weed, who was a
close personal friend of Capt. Coiiklin. Slit; was after-
ward sold to the government and was blown up by the
rebels at Newburn. The Harriet A. Weed was also
used as a gun boat, anl Moses Lyons now living at Tot-
tenville was captain. In 1862, they built the John A. Dix
and sold her to the government. This boat is still in
the service as light-house tender in southern waters.

In 1863, they bought the Sylvan Shore and put heron
the New Brunswick route in. opposition to the George
L,aw, but afterward chartered her to the government,
and this is the vessel which carried the troops that
captured Wilkes Booth after the assassination of Presi-
dent Lincoln. On this trip she ran afoul of a wreck
which had been sunk b/ the rebels and stove a hole in
her side. She was kept afloat by putting mattresses
in the hole and keeping the steam pumps at work
tintil the boat arrived at Baltimore where she was
put on the dry dock.

In 1866, the firm bought the Chicopee and put her
on the route from New York to Amboy in opposition
to the S. I. Railway and ran her successfully till
1869, when she was purchased by Sharp, Freze & Co.
of Bridgetown, N. J., and was run between that place
a"d Philadelphia.



<j4 PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.



Among the other boats owned and sold by Conklin &
Armstrong were the Washington Hunt, the Maryland
and the Katalidin.

In 1870, Mr. Conklin joined Win. Mulford in the lum-
ber and building material business, in Stapleton, and
afterward the firm bought the Jessup Mill at Green-
ridge.

In 1880, Mr. Conklin sold out his interest in the busi-
ness, and in 1882, when the office of inspector of foreign
vessels was created, Mr. Conklin was appointed the
first incumbent and held the position until Sept. i 5th,
1885, when he was removed by the Democratic admin-
istration. In 1889, he was appointed, without solicita-
tion, assistant inspector of mills, and performed the
duties of inspector of foreign vessels until 1893, when
he was again removed, during Mr. Cleveland's second
term.

Mr. Conklin was one of the founders of the Republican
party on the south side of the Island, and has always
been an active and influential worker in the party.
He was for many years intimately associated, politic-
ally, with Win. H. Seward, Thurlow Weed, E. D.
Morgan, Moses Taylor and Gen. John A. Dix, and now
has in his house at Annadale the desk on which Gen.
Dix wrote the famous order, "If any man hauls down
the American flag, shoot him on the spot."



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.



95




DR. REINER ROEHRE.

DR. R. ROEHRE, superintendent of the International
Ultramarine Works, near Rossville, \vas born in Bonn,
Germany, in 1851, was educated in Bonn, L,eipsic and
Freibourg, and from the University of Freibourg he took
the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in 1879. In 1884, he
came to America and took charge of the construction
and operation of the International Ultramarine Works
which are the largest of the kind in America. Before
coming to America Dr. Roehre made himself acquaint-
ed with the manufacture of ultramarine and the ma-
chinery required for a large plant and was able to con-
struct ' the works with all the latest improvements for
the manufacture and handling of its large outptit.

The extensive buildings are a net-work of railroads
on which all the material is handled by cars at the
lowest possible cost of production. Much of the suc-
cess of the business is due the skill and experience of
the doctor, and the output of this factory exceeds that
of all other ultramarinefactories in the United States
combined.

The doctor was married in 1882 to Miss Annie Ditt-
rich of Saxony. They have five children, one boy Ru-
dolph, and four girls, Katharine, Gertrude, Emma and
Charlotte.




FRANK RINSCHLER.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 97



FRANK RINSCHLER was born in Badan, Germany, in
1843, Oct. 7th, and learned his trade of mason and build-
er, in the city of his birth. In 1866, he came to Stateii
Island and established himself in Tompkiiisville and
worked in the Light House Department until 1870.
In 1878, he established business for himself, locating
in Stapleton, where he has since carried on a business,
being reckoned one of the foremost builders in the
county, taking contracts not only on the Island but in
New York, Brooklyn and New Jersey and a large amount
of village and county work beside private buildings.

Among the large contracts which Mr. Rinschler has
taken, was that for the International Ultramarine
Works at Rossville, the largest of the kind in America;
the Baltimore flats at Tompkinsville, one of the largest
private buildings on the Island; the main building of
tue new Emigration Bvireau on Ellis Island; the Clifton
public school built in coiijtmction with John G. Vaughn,
and at the present writing he is erecting the new
building for the Drew Theological Seminary at Madi-
son, N. J., costing $125,000.

Mr. Rinschler is one of the crack shots of the Staten
Island Schutzen Co., and was captain for the company
for two years; has been a member of the Klopstock
Lodge F. & A. M. from the first year of its organization,
and is a popular and prominent member of a large
number of local lodges and societies




PETER ANDROVETTE.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. g9

CAPT. PETER ANDROVETTE, the second son of the late
Peter Aiidrovette, was born at what is now Kreischer-
ville, in 1834. In 1859, he was married to Anna M.,
daughter of the late Thomas Marshall, of Woodbridge,
N. J. He has two sons, Murray and Alfred, and three
daughters, Svisie, wife of Alfred Killmeyer, of Kreisch-
erville, Clara, wife of Wm. Tolaiid, of Tottenville, and
Lizzie, wife of Henry Scott, of Kreischerville.

Mr. Androvette has always followed the water, hav-
ing in early life joined the firm of Kreischer & Maurer
in the transportation business, and on the dissolu-
tion of the firm, lie took the general management of
the large freighting business of B. Kreischer & Sons.

Amoii<r the vessels of which he was master and part
owner were the Caroline Kreischer, 90 tons; Magic, 85
tons; Wm. P. Boggs, 70 tons; Mary Robb, 50 tons; John
I. Maurer, 75 tons; Mary Heitman, 90 tons.

In 1872, Mr. Androvette saw that steam was coming
to the front as the power for rapid transportation and
he set to work to build a fleet of steam tugs and light-
ers. In 1873, he built the steam lighter Clara, lootoiis;
in 1878, the steam lighter Flora, 150 tons; in 1882, the
steam lighter Harry, 100 tons; and in 1887, he pur-
chased the steam lighter Lizzie M. Coiiklin, 1 50 tons,
beside the steam tugs Allie and Evie, the Sadie Ellis,
Little Nellie and Mabel, and a large number of
barges of from 200 to 250 tons capacity.

In 1891, he formed the company known as the
Androvette Towing and Transportation Company, incor-
porated under the laws of the state of New Jersey, of
which he has been the president from the time of its
organization, capital stock $20,000. The fleet of tugs
consists of Allie and Evie, the Mabel and the Geo. B.
Roe.

Among the other large enterprises in which Mr.
Androvette has been interested was the organization
of the Perth Amboy Dry Dock Company, of which he was
for a time president.

By shrewd management, untiring industry and
strict attention to business, Mr. Androvette has ac-
cumulated a comfortable fortune.

He has been a prominent member of Bethel Church
for over thirty years, and has been almost constantly in
the official board, and since the death of the late Hon.
Ephraim J. Totten, has been president of the board
of trustees.




JOHN TURNER.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. IOI

JOHN TURNER was born in County Donegal, Ireland, in
1813, of Scotch Presbyterian parentage. He was
brought up and educated in his native place, but, in-
stead of joining the church of his fathers, he became,
at an early age, an active member of the Baptist de-
nomination.

In 1 83 2, he came to America and settled in Yorkville,
where he engaged in the house-painting business, a
trade which he had learned in his native country.
During his thirty years' residence in Yorkville, he
carried on a large and successful business and was
active in church and charitable enterprises. He was
largely instrumental in the building of the Park Bap-
tist Church, the first Baptist church in America which
had a spire. Vie also started and furnished the York-
ville reading-room and library, which was afterward
burned, but most of the books was saved.

During the draft riots of 1863, Mr. Turner's store,
corner of 86th street and 3rd avenue, was burned by the
rioters on account of Mr. Turner's well-known union
sentiments. Having then accumulated a comfortable
fortune, Mr. Turner retired from business and pur-
chased the Lenhart property on Amboy road, near
Bethel Church, Tottenville.

In 1873, Mr. Turner exchanged the Lenhart property
for his present residence in Brooklyn, and the follow-
ing year purchased a summer residence on Washing-
ton street. He took an active interest in the matter
of incorporating the village in 1869, but, becoming dis-
satisfied with the management of the village affairs, he
was as active in getting the charter repealed two
years later, in Albany.

Mr. Turner has been, financially, the chief support
of the South Baptist Church of Tottenville. He gave
the church the site on which it stands and moved it
from Johnson avenue to its present location, and
built the lecture-room. He has recently given the
church the two stores adjoining it, together with a
cottage 011 Arents avenue, and has recently contributed
five hundred dollars for further repairs.

Mr. Turner was twice married. By his first wife,
who was a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, he had two
sons, beside other children. The eldest, John, enlisted
in the i oth New York Volunteers, and was killed in
the battle of the Wilderness. The other son, Thomas,
lives in Brooklyn and holds a position in the Brooklyn
post-office. His second wife, who is still living, is of
English descent. Before her marriage she had been
for over twenty years employed in the book depart-



02 PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 189?,



ment of the Methodist Book Concern in New York,
and since her marriage has been esteemed by all who
know her for her many domestic virtues.

Mr. Turner has passed his time for the last few
years, during- the summer, at Tottenville, at his favorite
pastime of fishing-, at which he is quite an adept, but
for the past year failing- health has prevented his in-
dulging in this recreation.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.




CHARLES WYETH.

CHARLES WYETH was born on the anniversary of the
discovery of America, Oct. i2th, 1858, at his present
residence, Richmond Hill. He is the son of the ac-
complished lawyer, Nathaniel J. Wyeth, and was edu-
cated in the midst of the masterpieces of knowledge.
He was attracted by the "Circle of the Sciences" and
chose civil engineering as a profession, and has pur-
sued the development of the applied physical sciences.

Mr. Wyeth was prominent in. the location and con-
struction of the Staten Island and North and South
Shore railroads, the Crystal Water-works, the Erie and
Wyoming Valley railroad from Hawley to Pittston,
the Sxisquehanna and Alleghaiiy railroad, and he was
assistant engineer on the Arthur Kill bridge and the
S. I. R. T. railroad.

Appreciating the immense resources of the waters
of the land and the seas, Mr. Wyeth accepted the
appointment of assistant engineer of the commissioners
of fisheries of the state of New York, in their exten-
sive hydrograpbic work. He believes what is worth
doing is worth doing well. He is a member of the
Engineers' club of Philadelphia.




:



CALVIN D. VAN NAME 1 ,,



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. IO5

THE subject of this sketch is Calvin Decker Van-
Name of Erastina. He was born in the same town,
Northneld, on this Island, January 3rd, 1857. His father
was WilliamHenry Van Name, a successful oyster plant-
er, who died in Northneld some years ago. The son
received the degree of L. L. B. from the University of
the City of New York before arriving of age, and was
admitted to practice law immediately on reaching
twenty-one. Mr. Van Name, although a young man,
has long been prominent on Staten Island.

As an attorney he was successful from the begin-
ning. He was entrusted with important matters and
acquired a large practice almost as soon as he was
admitted to the bar.

He had a long training in the practice of law with
L,. Bradford Prince, since chief justice and later
governor of New Mexico, but then senator from this
district. This gave him a complete knowledge of the
departments at Albany. That he made a favorable
impression there is evidenced by the fact that he has
obtained more grants of land under water than any
lawyer in the state.

His successful conduct of the Foley South Beach
case and the eviction of the Burkes and Lancaster
Syms claimants from the Garretsons beach made all
holders of old farm titles his lasting friends, and
demonstrated the security of Staten Island titles,

His real estate practice is very large, and he lias in
his safes complete abstracts of the titles to the farms
as they once existed in continuous line in Northneld
from Bodine's Mill to Howlaiid's Hook.

The Van Name family is the largest on Staten Island,
and Mr. Van Name is related to all the branches.
All are descendants of the old Hollander Jochem
Engelbert VaiiNamen, who came here from Heus-
den in the ship Hope which sailed irom Amsterdam
April 8th, 1662. (Riker's History of Harlem, page 339).

Mr. Van Name is a member of the Holland Society of
New York city. His mother is a Decker, which family
is also one of he largest on the Island. She is Eliza-
beth, the only daughter of the late Benjamin Decker.

Mr. Van Name is a widower. His wife, Lizzie Emma,
died May i4th, 1892. They had one child, Hazel Jane,
now seven years old.

He is a large property owner in Northneld, and has
long been identified with all movements of public
benefit in that section. His knowledge of the Island
and his numerous friends make him a strong man.

He was formerly a prominent Republican, serving
for years on the county and state committees and in
the county and state conventions. He was from time



106 PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.



to time nominated tor the different county offices in-
cluding county judge, assembly and district-attorney,
but always declined. He will not leave his large prac-
tice for public office.

He always expressed strong feelings against monop-
olies, and sincerely believing that they were fos-
tered by the Republicans, in the lall of 1893 joined
the Democratic party.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. I0?




WILLIAM A. SUYDAM.

MR. SUYDAM is the editor and publisher of the Staten
Island Gazette, issued every Wednesday at Stapleton,
and the Sentinel, every Saturday at New Brighton.
He belongs to a Knickerbocker family, and the revolu-
tionary records of Long Island and Brooklyn contain
plentiful evidence of the patriotic activity of his an-
cestors. His father, James Suydam, established the
first Democratic daily newspaper known in New York
city, the American Advocate, which was published under
the direction of James K. Polk, candidate for president.

About ten years ago, Mr. Suydam bought out the in-
terest of Mr. ErastusWiman in the Staten Island Gazette
and Sentinel. He does a large business in stationery and
printing supplies, and claims to own the most com-
plete printing establishment on Staten Island. The
Sentinel Printing House at New Brighton was built
by Mr. Suydam, and a row of very pretty cottages at
Rosebank, and others at Snug Harbor, represent some
of his real estate investments.




CHARLES LIVINGSTON HUBBELL.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. Iog

CHARLES LIVINGSTON HUBBELL.

CHARLES LIVINGSTON HUBBELL, son of Charles Wolcott
Hubbell and Serena Hempsted, his wife, was born in
Brooklyn, New York, July i4th, 1861. His great-grand-
father, Philip Livingston, was one of the signers of the
Declaration of Independence, and was a descendant of
the Livingston family of Livingston Manor, New York,
prominent in the early history of New York state.

Mr. Hubbell is descended on his father's side from
Richard Hubbell, who came from Wales in 1645 and
settled in Connecticut, and whose descendants were
prominent officers in the revolutionary war, the war
of 1812 and in the civil war.

Mr. Hubbell came to Stateii Island when a boy of six
years of age, and, after finishing an academic educa-
tion, engaged in business for a few years, and then en-
tered the law office of Hon. Frank Warner Angel, asst.
United States district attorney, and commenced the
study of law. He then attended the law school of New
York University and was graduated in the class of '86,
admitted to the bar May i2th, 1887, and entered into
the practice of his profession with offices in New York
city and on Staten Island.

Taking great interest in the development and
prosperity of Staten. Island. Mr. Hubbell formed
the Granite Park Land and improvement Company,
of which he is president and counsel. He is also
vice-regent of Staten Island Council, 1145, Royal
Arcanum, charter member of Starin Hose Com-
pany, No. 5, of West New Brighton, charter member
of the Republican Spellbinder Club of New York city,
one of the founders of New York University Law De-
partment Alumni Association, and member of the
Irving Literary Society, which defeated all the famous
and well-known debating societies in New York city
and Brooklyn.

In addition, the popular and busy lawyer stumped
the state for Harrison and Morton during that mem-
orable campaign, and is active in politics and all that
appertains to the welfare and prosperity of Richmond
county.

He was married January 4th, 1893, to Eleanor Mathews
Beach, and resides at West New Brighton, at which
place he is engaged in the general practice of law, and
has a growing and lucrative practice.




PERCIVAL G. ULLMAN.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. IZI

PERCIVAL GLENROY ULLMAN was born at Tompkinsville
May 29th, 1849, studied law with the Hon. Robert S.
Hale (one of the regents of the University of New York)
in Essex county, N. Y., and was admitted to the bar at
Albany, in 1870. He is one of the best real estate law-
yers in our county and is a close student to his large
practice. He has been widely and prominently known
for many years, and was the originator of the bill to
remove the yellow fever burial grounds from Prince's
Bay, the bill for relief of oyster planters now in
congress, and is one of the directors of the first Na-
tional Bank of St. George. He has also been promi-
nent in numerous other beneficial, public and politic-
al movements in our county, and now resides at
Huguenot.

Mr. Uliman was married January 1 8th, i875,tolsabelle
S. , daughter of the late William Butcher. In 1878, he pur-
chased his present residence at Huguenot, Stateii Isl-
and, which he has since greatly enlarged and im-
proved. Mr. and Mrs. Uliman have three children, two
sons, Percy and Roscoe, and one daughter, Isabelle.

Mr. Uliman is of Knickerbocker stock and comes from
one of the early, wealthy and influential Staten Isl-
and families. His mother's maiden name was Mary
J_ouisa Corson who was born in the old family home-
stead on the Corson plantation, of which the Seamen's
Retreat at Stapleton is part. She was also a grand-
daughter of Samuel Lockmaii, and a paternal grand-
daughter of Cornelius Corson,

Mr. Uliman is also a second cousin to the present
admiral, E. A. K. Benliam, of the United States Navy.
Clutes' History of Staten Island, page 401, speaks of
the L,ockmaii family as follows: This is one of the
oldest Dtitch families in the province. The first
mentioned is Covert Lockman (sometimes called
L,ockerman)who arrived in America in 1633 in the Carvel
St., Martyn. The New York civil list 1870 (see page 7)
shows that Covert lyockman or L,ockerman was one of
the nine persons who represented the commonalty of
New York and Brooklyn (since named) under the old
Dutch government in. 1647.

Abraham L,^ckmaii, a son of Covert Eockman, was
the patentee of a large tract of land 011 Staten Island
by Edmund Andros, governor-general of New York, in
the reign of Charles 2nd, dated Sept. i2th, 1699. (See
Liber "B"' of deeds, page 341, county clerk's office.)

The Corson branch of the family dates back nearly
as far as the Lockman. Clutes' History speaks of
them as one of the wealthiest and most influential



I I2 PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893=



families of the Island, and Cornelius Corson is referred
to in the records at Albany as a military captain, in
1687. (vSee page 358.)

This family also received a grant of a tract of 540
acres of land on Staten Island in the reign of Charles
the 2nd, on Feb. ist, 1687. (See Liber "B"of deeds, page
95, county clerk's office.

In 1712, in the reign of Queen Ann, Cornwalace
Bowman conveyed to Christian Corson, gentleman,
another large tract of land. (See Liber " C" of deeds,
page 51.)

Cornelius Corson's will was probated in the county
of Richmond in 1793, and among others he left a son
named Christian Corson who is spoken of as second
judge and lieutenant colonel, in 1742.

Richard Corson represented Richmond county in
the legislatures of 1816, 1817 and 1818. (See civi. 1 list
1870.)



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND.



a ii2




JAMES L. BARGF.R.

JAMES L. BARGER, eldest son of Henry Barger, was born
on Staten Island, December i2th, 1868. He entered
the law school of Columbia College in 1889, where he
enjoyed the advantage of a thorough legal training
under the tuition of the late Professor Theodore W.
Dwight, during the last years oi his connection with
the law department of that institution. He was ad-
mitted as attorney and counselor of the supreme
court, in May 1862, and was graduated one month
later with the degree of L. L. B. , cum laude.

He at once entered upon a general practice of the
law with an office at No. 2 Wall st. . New York. He has
been signally successful in the management of his
clients' interests, and is already enjoying a compara-
tively lucrative and go wing practice.

Mr. Barger is one of the young men of Staten Island
whose histor/ is all before them, but should he live
to fulfill the promise of his young and vigorous man-
hood, it will not be many years before he will have a
place among the foremost lawyers of Richmond
county.




CORONER WHITMAN.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893, c 112

STEPHEN E. WHITMAN, M. D.

DR. STEPHEN E. WHITMAN, younger son of Stephen
Whitman, of Port Richmond, was born in New York
city in 1855. The family moved to Port Richmond in
1862, into the house on the corner of Broadway and
Bennett street, where they still reside.

In 1876, Mr. Whitman began the study of medicine
with Dr. W. C. Walser. After being graduated, iiiiSSi,
Vom the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Dr.
Whitman spent two or three years in Bellevue, St.
Vincent and Chambers street hospitals, and then
practiced with his former tutor, remaining for a long
time as his assistant. He next moved to Brooklyn,
where he practiced for five years. At the end of that
period, he returned to the Island and opened an office
in Port Richmond, where he has built up a large
practice.

In the election of 1891, Dr. Whitman was elected
coroner on the Democratic ticket in opposition to Dr.
J. Walter Wood. He has had many important cases
during his official term, the last of which was the
killing of Adam Frelich by Officer Wells of the Rich-
mond county police, the officer being exonerated by
the jury.

The Whitman family came from England prior to
1680 and settled in Weymouth, Mass., and from the
coat of arms of the family, it is evident that they be-
longed to the aristocracy and nobility.

Dr. Whitman's father, Capt. Stephen Whitman, com-
manded several famous Liverpool packets and the
vessels of the old New York Mail S. S. Co., and later of
the Cromwell line to New Orleans.

During the war of the rebellion Capt. Whitman was
chased by the famous privateer Alabama, but, fortu-


1 2 3 5 7 8 9

Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesProminent men of Staten Island, 1893 → online text (page 5 of 9)