Copyright
Richard Mather Bayles.

Prominent men of Staten Island, 1893 online

. (page 6 of 9)
Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesProminent men of Staten Island, 1893 → online text (page 6 of 9)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


nately escaped. He has bean a member of the Produce
Exchange for the past fifteen years, and is a member
of the Marine Society. He was trustee of the village
of Port Richmond for seventeen years, and since 1873
has been inspector of storage under the name of Whit-
man & Fisher.

Dr. Whitman's mother was Miss Maria Robertson
Dean, of Deans ville, Conn., of one of the oldest and
most prominent families in. that part of the state.

The doctor, who is still unmarried, lives and has his
office in the family residence at Port Richmond, where
he is esteemed a skillful physician, a faithful and
competent county official and a popular member of
society.



IT2 d



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.





GEORGE W. STAKE.

GEORGE W. STAKE was born at Stapleton, Staten
Island in 1869, and was educated at the German and
the public schools, and at the College of the City of
New York, New York city. He was graduated from said
college with honors in 1887, receiving the degree of
A. B. In 1889, he was graduated from the Columbia
Law School with the degree of L,. -L. B. , cum laude, and
from the Department of Political Science with the
degree of A. M. In 1890, he passed examination in
the same college and received the degree ol Ph. D.
He was admitted to the bar in 1891, and is now
practicing the profession of law with offices at
Stapleton and at 59 Liberty street, New York. Mr.
Stake is counsel of the town board of Mtddletown and
Stateii Island counsel of ihe Anglo-American Loan
and Savings Association. He is a member of the Ger-
man Association, Erheiterung, of Stapleton, the Del-
ta Kappa Epsilon Club of 435 5th avenue, New York
city, and a member of secret orders. Mr. Stake is
unmarried and lives at Stnpletoii.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 5.893.







CORNELIUS SHEA.

CORNELIUS SHEA was horn at Richmond Valley, S. I.,
in May 1863, just one week after the battle of Chaii-
celorsville, and was named after h?s uncle who was
killed in that battle. In 1887. he removed to Totten-
ville and has, ever since, been a resident of that village.

Mr. vShea, is a story writer or author by profession,
and has been for five years a regular contributor to
Golden Hours, a young- people's weekly, published by
Norman L. Muiiro, of New York city, a paper of very
extensive circulation. His stories have been honored
by some of the finest and most prominent ilHistrations
of those of any contributor of G'oldtn Hours, and have
always taken a high rank; always being- of the most
entertaining and exciting character.

Mr. Shea, who is somewhat of a politician, as well as
an author, is always prominent in the local contests in
his town, and has twice been elected town clerk on the
Democratic ticket, when nearly every other candidate
was defeated. Mr. Shea is also an enthusiastic club
and secret society man, and is a member of Huguenot
Lodge, F. & A. M., Richmond Lodge, K. of P., Bentley
Lodge, I. O. of O. F., of Tottenville, of Eureka Engine Co.
No. 2, of Tottenville, and the Staten Island Press Club.




JOHN WIDDECOMBE.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. II5

JOHN WIDDECOMBE, eldest son of John Widdecombe,
and his wife Helen, nee Doyle, was born in London,
England, Oct. 29111, 1856. When eight years of age, he
was entered in St. Charles' College, founded by the
late Cardinal Manning. At the age of lifteen years, he
passed the preliminary examination prescribed by the
rules of the Incorporated Law Society, and a year later
was articled to William H. Tattam, a London solicitor,
for a period of five years. In 1877, he was admitted as
a solicitor of the supreme court of judicature, in
England.

In 1875, he was commissioned as second lieutenant
in Her Majesty's auxiliary forces (5 Essex Rifle Volun-
teers) retiring in 1881 with the rank of captain.

He practiced his profession in London, from 187710
1882, when he came to New York bringing letters of in-
troduction to the late Cardinal McCloskey and other
prominent persons in New York city. Soon after his
arrival he entered the ,aw office of Holt & Butler as
managing clerk, and in 1887, upon the motion of Win.
Allen Butler, president of the New York Bar Associa-
tion, seconded by the recommendation of such promi-
nent lawyers as Abram Cole, Wm. B. Hornblower and
others, he was admitted as attorney and counselor-
at-law, in the state of New York.

In 1888, he removed to Stapleton, Staten Island, and
the following year, after a brief co-partnership with
ex-Judge J. J. McKeon, he began the practice of the law
on his own account, occupying an office with Messrs.
Holt & Butler. From that time his practice has steadily
increased, so that at the present time he is regarded
as one of the most successful and prominent members
of the Richmond county bar, and he now occupies a
handsome suite of offices in the Savings Bank build-
ing in Stapleton.

In 1890, he assisted the Hon. Geo. Gallagher, then
district-attorney, in the prosecution of the celebrated
election fraud cases, and in 1891, he assisted District-
Attorney Fitzgerald in the Emmoiis murder case. In
both instances he received many warm commendations
for the thoroughness with which he prepared the case
and the ability and skill displayed in presenting the
facts to the court and jury.

On October ist, 1879, he married Margaret, second
daughter of G. T. W. Mugliston, M. D., of the Elms,
Enfield.

Mr. and Mrs. Widdecombe have three children:
Lawrence Wiiistaiiley, aged twelve, a student at St.
Austin's school, Arthur Bernard, aged eleven, a student
at the States Island Academy, and Emma Marguerite,
aged three.



I





THE LATE EPHRAIM J. TOTTEN.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.



EPHRAIM J. TOTTEN was born March 3oth. 1806, at the
homestead near Bethel Church, Tottenville. During
his early life, from 1823 to 1845, l ie followed the sea,
being captain and owner or part owner of various ves-
sels engaged in. the coasting trade. 1111850, he took a
load of merchandise to the Pacific coast and engaged
for some time in mercantile pursuits. Although he
met with some reverses in sending his goods on a
long and perilous voyage, he did, oiithe whole, a pros-
perous business during his short stay in California.

On his return to Staten Island he carried on a mer-
cantile business in Tottenville until 1874, when he re-
tired from business and bt-gaii the cultivation of his
farm, the old homestead property.

Mr. Totten was always known as an energetic, enter-
prising, public-spirited citizen, and held a number of
public offices. He was supervisor in 1846-7 and was a
member of the legislature in 1848. He was one of ths
projectors of the Staten Island railroad and one of the
directors.

When he was 40 years of age he became a church
member and from that time his life was devoted to
church work, and all its interests were his. He filled
every office and was recording steward and president
of the board of trustees of Bethel M. E. Church for
nearly 40 years, holding these offices up to the time
of his death in April 1891.

He raised a family ot eight children, s*x of whom
are still living. He was born on the place where his
father, grandfather and great grandfather lived since
trie Revolutionary. The old homestead stood in front
of the present house. In 1855. he ptilled down the old
one and erected that which now stands just back of
the old site. The old farm occupied nearly the whole
village of Tottenville which took its name after him

o

and his brothers.




DR. R. HENRY GOLDER.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 119



DR. R HENRY GOLDER.

ROBERT HEXRY GOLDER, M. D., has been a resident and
practising physician at Rossville since 1849. He was
born in Philadelphia, Pa., Sept. 23rd, 1820. His father,
John Golder, was born in Annapolis, Mel. , May 23rd,
1783. His paternal ancestry dates back for two or
more generations before that perio 1 and in that local-
ity, and were of German descent. His mother, whose
maiden name was Johnson, also descended from an
old Maryland family. Her brother, Hon. John Johnson,
was chancellor of Maryland in the early part of this
century, under whom John Golder studied law. Sena-
tor Reverdy Johnson, who was also U. S. minister to
England, and cousin of John Golder, studied law under
his father and also Chief justice Taney of U. S.
supreme court.

[ohn Golder was district-attorney for two counties
on the eastern shore of Maryland before the war of
1812. In July of that year, he was married to Margaret
McMaken of Philadelphia, to which city he removed
in 1814, and practiced his profession until 1840, when
he removed with his family to New York city, where he
died March 21 st, 1864. He had four children: Julia A.,
Sarah M., John ]. and Robert H., the subject of this
sketch.

Margaret McMaken, the mother of Dr. Golder, was
born in Philadelphia and died in New York, March 9th.
1864. She was of Scotch-Irish descent. Her mother's
family, the Scotts, who were nearly allied to the fam-
ily of Sir Walter Scott, came to this country about the
middle of the last century and settled mostly in Bucks
county, Pa., where the " Scott Memorial Church " arid
"Scott's Manor" still stand. But two descendants of
this branch of the family are living.

in 1839, Dr. Golder began the study of pharmacy and
afterward was in business as a druggist. After a pre-
paratory course under Prof. Yalentine Mottaiid John S.
Whittaker, he entered the medical department of the
University of the City of New York, from which he was
graduated in 1846.

He was married to Catharine Y. Dunham, of New
Brunswick, N. J., in December 1847. Of their four
children, Yalentine Mott, Annette, Reverdy J., and
Margaret D., the latter is the only surviving one.



I2O



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.




DR. DAVID M. COLEMAN.

DAVID M. COLEMAX, M. D. , was born in Spring-field, Mass.,
on July 4th, 1849, and the early part of his life was
spent on a farm, au<l attending public and private
schools.

In 1869, he moved to Dutchess county, N. Y. , and at-
tended Dr. Hoyt's private academy for t\vo years. In
1875, he began the study of medicine, and in 1881, he
entered the New York Homoeopathic Medical College,
from which he was graduated in the spring of 1884.

During the last year of his college course, the doc-
tor was appointed visiting physician to the Wilson
Mission School for Infants, corner 8th street and
Avemie A. He was also appointed visiting physician
to the New York Dispensary, 23rd street and 3rd
avenue, and was assistant to Prof. Thompson, in sur-
gery. Two days in the week he had a private clinic in
the Dispensary.

At the close of 1884, Dr. Colema.i moved to Totten-
ville, in which place he still resides and has a large
and growing practice. In 1893, he was elected health
officer.

Dr. Colemaii is one of the most respected and use-
ful members of the profession and has a host of friends
who rejoice in his success.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.



121




J. WALTER WOOD, A. M., M .D.

ONE of the most prominent and successful physi-
cians and surgeons of Staten Island is Dr. J. Walter
Wood, who was born at Mariners' Harbor, Apr. 23rd,
1856. He is a descendant of the Dongaii family. His
education was thorough in both the academic and med-
ical schools. His gentlemanly manners and great
skill soon brought him a large and lucrative practice.

Dr. Wood was health officer, for a number of years,
of the town of Nortafield and the village of Port Rich-
mond, and coroner for the county, and was esteemed
one of the most efficient officials of the county.

Dr. Wood is a 32 Mason and is a Past Master of Rich-
mond Lodge, Past High Priest of Tyrian Chapter, Sur-
geon to York Commandery, a Noble of Mecca Shrine,
and for several years was president of the S. I. Masonic
Mutual Benefit Association and is examining physician
for the North Western Masonic Insurance Company.

He is Past Chancellor of S. I. Lodge Knights of
Pythias, and examining physician for the Odd Fellows,
Workiiigmen, Foresters, Legion of Honor, Templars of
Liberty, and the New York Life Insurance Company.

Dr. Wood is visiting surgeon to the S. R. Smith In-
firmary, and president of the Port Richmond branch
of the Co-operative Building Bank of New York.




DR. E. A. HERVEY.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. I23



EDWIN A. HERVEY, M. D.

EDWIN ADDISON HERVEY was born at South Durham,
N. Y., January 1 6th, 1824. He is the third son of the
late D. B. Hervey, ex-assemblyman from Greene
county. His early education was received in the pub-
lic schools and from private tutors. At the age of
seventeen he was aske.l to teach the district school in
liis native town, in which capacity he continued there
and elsewhere in the county for a period of five years,
He then went to Ellenville, Ulster county, where he
acted as clerk and book-keeper in a store and tannery
for two years.

In 1848, he came to Staten Island and engaged as
teacher in Westfield, remaining eight years. During
the last six of these he resided with Dr. E. W. Hub-
bard, from whom he received his preparatory course
of medical instruction. He then entered the Uni-
versity Medical College of New York city, from which
he was graduated in 1859, receiving the valuable El-
liot prize for skill in anatomy.

Dr. Hervey located in Rossville, where he still con-
tinues to practice. He has been especially success-
ful as an obstetrician. He has been physician to St.
Michael's Home, Greenridge, since its establishment,
Though never active in politics, he has been a coroner
of Richmond county for eighteen years, the last five
terms having been successive.

D]-. Hervey has been twice married. His first wife
was Eliza J. , daughter of John Williams, of Rossville;
his second, Grace E., daughter of T. W. C. Moore, for
many years Queen's Messenger between New York
and Washington. To the latter were born two chil-
dren: Charles Edwin, who died in infancy, and Will-
iam Addison.




SUFI. O. H. HOAG.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. I25



ORRY HUESTED HOAG, superintendent of the Union
Free school at Port Richmond, was born at Pleasant
Plains, this county, Feb.iyth, 1857. The education of his
boyhood was received in the public schools of the
town of Westfield. At an early age, he left school and
clerked for several years in different stores of the
village. In the winter of '75 and '76, he took the
theoretical course in Eastman's Business College, at
Poughkeepsie, N. Y.

A vacancy in the primary department of the public
school of his native village was tilled by his appoint-
ment, Oct. 1 8th, 1876, in which position he continued
till June 1880, when he resigned to more properly pur-
sue his studies and prepare himself for his chosen
calling, by taking the classical course at the state
Normal school, at Geneseo, N. Y. Graduating in
1884, he was elected to the principalship of Castleton
Corners public school, Stateii Island. In the spring
of 1890, he resigned to take the principalship of his
present school, becoming sxiperinteiiclent in the fol-
lowing year.

In his profession, Mr. Hoag is painstaking, effective
in discipline, and devoted, not using it as a step-
ping stone to something else.



126



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.




BENJAMIN H. WARFORD.

CAPT. BENJAMIN H. WARFORD, youngest 'son. ^f Charles
War ford, was born in the city of Troy, N. Y., Oct. iith,
1831. When nineteen years of age, he was captain of a
vessel, and at twenty-one, trie owner, and from that
time his business has steadily increased, until now the
firm of Warford & Andrews, of which Mr. Warford is
manager and the largest owner, have one of the most
numerous fleets of barges doing business in New Yorlc
harbor, with offices in New York and West Troy.

At the beginning of the war, Capt. Warford raised a
company of volunteers and went to the front as see-
on 1 lieutenant. He was engaged in fourteen battles,
and on June 3oth, 1862, was promoted to the rank of
captain, for gallant conduct.

Capt. Warford is a Republican of the "stalwart"
kind, and has always been active in politics and a
liberal contributor to the cause of his party. He has
served one year as vice-chairman of the county Gener-
al Committee and has been its chairman for four
years, but declined re-election, last spring.

He headed the Blame electoral ticket in 1884, and
was one of the delegates to the national convention at
Chicago, in 1892, and he helped to make the famous
light for James G. Blame in that convention.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 127




*v$Sp



CROWELL M. SEGUINF.

CROWELL M. SEGUINE, founder of Giffords-by-the-Sea,
was born at the old homestead near Giffords, March
^th, 1851. He is descended in a direct line from the
early Huguenot family of that name that settled on
the Island nearly two hundred years ago.

Mr. Seguine has always been a successful and en-
terprising business man, and more than any other
has contributed to the growth of his native place. He
is a large land owner and conducts a successful real
estate and coal business.

He married in. 1886, Josephine, daughter of Charles
A. Canavello, of Giffords, by whom he has two chil-
dren, twin daughters, L/ouisa and Rosa, aged three
years.

Mr. Seguine has always been an active, earnest
Republican but never has entered politics as an
office seeker, preferring to build up his private busi-
ness and promote the growth of the village founded
by him, and his business interests. He has been al-
ways known as an honest upright business man,
and he and his family are held in high esteem among
a large circle of friends.




FRANK L. HADKINS



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.



FRANK L,. HADKINS, one of the well-known business-
men of Tottenville, was born in Perth Amboy, N. J.,
in 1863, and is the youngest child of the late John H.
Hadkins.

The same year, Mr. Hadkins established with Chas.
L/ow, the bottling- business in Perth Amboy, but.
owing to a lack of suitable supply of water, Mr. Had-
kins purchased the interest of Mr. L,ow in 1867 and
removed the plant to Tottenville where he continued
the business until his death in 1872, when he was
succeeded by his son Robert H., then seventeen years
of age. The son carried on the business and largely
increased it with the assistance of his brother, Frank
the subject of this sketch. The latter became a part-
ner in the business in 1887, and the brothers built
the large factory under the name of R. H. Hadkins &
Bro.

Upon the death of Robert in 1889, Frank took charge
of the business and has since conducted it tinder the
name and style of the Hadkins Bottling Co.. the
firm consisting of Mrs. Mary H. and Frank L. Hadicins.
The business has steadily increased until the establish-
ment is n^w the largest for carbonated beverages on
the Island, and Mr. Hadkins does the largest business
of the kind on the Island or in the suburbs of New
York.

In 1888, Mr. Hadkins was elected to the office of ex-
cise commissioner to fill a vacancy, and was re-elected
in 1890 and held the office until it was abolished in
1892 and a board of county commissioners appointed.

In 1887, he married Annie L,. , only daughter of S.
Webb Hopping. Mr. and Mrs. Hadkins have one child,
Marion L,., aged 4 years.



V-

1



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.




REUBEN SIMONSON.

REUBEN SIMSNSOX, son of George and Mary Simon-
son, was born at Kreischerville, Jan nth, 1850. Hi.s
mother, whose maiden name was Johnson, was a
descendant of an old vStaten Island family of that name.

Mr. Simonson is engaged with Capt. Peter Andro-
vette in the towing business, and is part owner of
three tugs, George B. Roe, Allie and Evie.

In 1873, he married Fannie E., daughter of Charles
and Susan Androvette, of Kreischerville, and has two
children living, Cyremiius, aged eighteen years, and
Evaline, aged fourteen.

Mr. Simonson has always been looked upon as one of
the solid enterprising btisiness men of Kreischerville,
and has been held in high esteem by all who know him
socially or who have had business dealings with him.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN 1S1,AND, 1893. 131




CAPT. JOHN M. ANDROVETTE.

CAPT. JOHN M. ANDROVETTE, the eldest son of the
late Peter Aiidrovette, was born in Kreischerville in
1831. His grandfather, Charles, was one of the origi-
nal settlers in Kreischerville, and owned a large farm,
which comprised nearly all the land 011 which the
present village is built.

On December 5th, 1852, Capt. Aiidrovette married
Elizabeth Worth, who died in 1876, leaving two daugh-
ters, Mrs. Alfred Mersereau, living in Totteiiville,
and Miss Clara S., still living with her father, and one
son, Reuben \V.

In 1878, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Wm. Jo-
liiie, of Totteiiville, by whom he has one daughter,
Bessie, now at school.

Capt. Aiidrovette has always followed the water,
beginning as early as 1857, as part owner and captain
of the "Fire-brick,"' engaged in transporting fire-brick
for B. Kreischer & Nephew.

Mr. Aiidrovette has been a prominent member of
Bethel Church for the last thirty years, and during
twenty-eight years of that time he has been a member
of the official board and a licensed exhorter, and is now
district steward, treasurer of the Sunday-school, and
custodian of all collections for benevolent purposes.



132



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.




REV. FREDERICK BLOOM.

THE subject of this sketch, Rev. Frederick Bloom,
was born Sept. i2th, 1852, near Fverittstown, Htinter-
doii county, N. J.

His early life was spent on a farm, but at the age of
eighteen he went to Quakertowii, N. J. A series of
revival services was held in the village, and among
the large number of converts was Frederick Bloom.
He then felt called upon to preach, and, by the help of
friends, he succeeded in entering Peiinington Semi-
nary, and remained there for nearly a year. He then
took up school teaching- and soon after married Miss
L-izzie Hoffman.

Still he was dissatisfied. His great ambition was to
preach. At that time he was teaching school in Cen-
tre ville, N. J., and he was appointed to fill the charge
at that place. This he continued to do for two years,
and in 1874, he was admitted to conference. While
stationed at Denville in 1884, Mr. Bloom took the full
course at Drew Theological Seminary, and finished
\vith the post graduate course.

In 1891, Mr. Bloom was appointed pastor of Bethel
M. E. Church, Tottenville, where his labors have met
with much success.



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.



133




BETHEL CHURCH, TOTTEN VH-LE.



Bethel Church was first erected on the present site
in 1841. It was a frame building 40x50 feet and was
dedicated in the spring of 1841 by Charles Pitman;
then presiding elder of the district. In 1885, about
$3,000 was spent in improving and decorating the
church. The congregation, however, did not long en-
joy the benefit of their labors and sacrifices; for on
January roth, 1886, the church took fire and was burned
to the ground.

Not disheartened by their loss the congregation im-
mediately went to work and erectec the present hand-
some new brick structure, which was dedicated May
8th, 1887, L-y Bishop Harris. The church as it now
stands cost about $20,000,




Q
Z

O

S
E



o

cc

D

I
O

o

bd
O

s

H
J

OH

H
r/i



PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 135



ST. PATRICK'S CHURCH.

ST. PATRICK'S PARISH was cared for by the priests of Clif-
ton and Rossville, and the services were held in private*
houses and halls until 1862, when the Rev, John Barry,
of Rossville, built the substantial brick church on
Garretson st. L,awrence Searers and John Gonond
were elected the first trustees.

The mission, remained in care of Rossville until
1884, when Rev. John Coffee was appointed pastor, who
resided at St. Stephen's Home, New Dorp.

In 1886, he was succeeded by the present rector who
instantly set to work to procure a parsonage, and pur-
chased the large brick house adjoining the church
built and at one time occupied by Judge John G.
Vaughn.. This rectory is now wholly free from debt,
in thorough repair and well furnished at a total cost of
$7,000.

The church likewise was improved and beautified
at an expense of $2,000, whilst its original debt of
$3,000 has been lowered to $2,000, and through the or-
ganized effort of a church debt society will soon be
wholly cleared. For this result of seven years' labor,
the rectoi* has to thank his innumerable friends of
all denominations throughout Richmond county and
New York city.


1 2 3 4 6 8 9

Online LibraryRichard Mather BaylesProminent men of Staten Island, 1893 → online text (page 6 of 9)