It is computed that within the parish limits from
Eltingville to Garretsons thereare 500 Roman Catholics.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.
REV. JAMES PATRICK BYRNES.
REV. JAMES PATRICK BYRNES was born Jan. 6th, 1854, in
County Limerick, Ireland. He came to New York city in
April 1870, and in Septembe r 1871, entered St. Charles'
College, Maryland; was ordained at St, Joseph's Semi
nary, Troy, N. Y., and was immediately assigned to
duty in the Church of the Immaculate Conception
in 1 4th street, New York, where he remained until 1883,
when he was transferred to Sing Sing, and in 1886, he
was made pastor of St. Patrick's Church, Richmond,
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893, X 37
REV. C. F. HULL.
REV. CHARLES F. HULL, pastor of St. Paul's M. E.
Church, Tottenville, was born in New York city, April
28th, 1842, and was graduated from the i3th street
public school in 1855. He was converted in 1860, and
was baptized in the Antioch Baptist Church by the Rev.
J. Q. Adams. In 1861, he enlisted in the sth N. Y. Vols.
(Duryeas' Zouaves), and served with that regiment in
the Army of the Potomac. In 1864, he received a com-
mission in the navy, and remained in the service un-
til after the fall of Richmond. "He then entered Madi-
son (now Colgate) University, and spent four years in
study. In 1869,116 married Miss Mattie Boyd, of Hamil-
ton, N. Y., and was ordained pastor of the Baptist
church in Beekman, N. Y. In 1872, he returned to the
University, entered the Theological Seminary, and was
graduated with the class of 1873.
The same year he was called to the pastorate of the
Baptist church in Northville, N. Y. In 1875, the Mari-
ners' Harbor, S. I., Baptist church invited him to be-
come their pastor, and he remained with them until
1877, when, 011 account of change in denominational
views, he applied for admission, and was received, in-
to the Newark Conference of the Methodist Episcopal
church. Since that date his appointments have been
as follows: 1877, Mt. Hope, N. J.; 1878-80, Woodrow, S. I.;
1881, Otisville, N. Y. ; 1882-84, Rocklaiid Lake, N. Y. ;
1885-87, Bayoniie, N. J. ; 1888-90, Rahway, N. J. In 1891
he was appointed to St. Paul's, Tottenville, of which
church he still remains the pastor.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. I39
HEV. JACOB J. GANSS.
i<EV. JACOB J. GANSS was born in the city of Frank-
fort-on-the-Main, Aug. 3rd, 1859. Before entering the
ministry he studied medicine three and a half years,
after which he studied theology in Germany and
Switzerland. He came to this country in 1881, and
took a position in Hoboken, N. J. , as a teacher of math-
ematics and languages, in the Martha Institute, for
On the first Sunday in Advent, in 1882, Mr. Ganss
preached his first sermon in Kreischerville, and his
zeal for the welfare of the congregation attracted the
attention at once of the officers of St. Peter's Church,
and pointed him out as a fit successor to the Rev. Dr.
Mohn, the first pastor of the Kreischerville church.
After having passed a most satisfactory examination,
he was, by recommendation of the Honorable Classis,
of New York, ordained as minister of the Gospel, June
1 3th, 1 883, and duly installed as minister of the German
Evangelical Church St. Peter's of Kreischerville.
The church has steadily grown in members, influence
and good works under Mr. Ganss' ministration, until
now it is one of the most prosperous in \Vestfield.
REV. D. B. F. RANDOLPH.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 141
KEY. D. B. F. RANDOLPH.
REV. D. B. F. RANDOLPH is the pastor of Trinity Meth-
odist Episcopal Church, Richmond Terrace, West
New Brighton, which has a capacity of about seven
hundred sittings, an exceptionally large and beautiful
parsonage, and a membership of about three hundred
persons, who are warmly attached to all its interests
and contribute generously to its support and to all
the benevolent objects of the church at large. Their
present pastor is now serving them for the fifth year
under the new time limit of the denomination.
Mr. Randolph was born in Newark, N. J., in 1848,
attended the grammar and high schools of that city,
and was graduated from Pennington Seminary in 1868
and from Drew Theological Seminary, with the degree of
Bachelor of Divinity, in 1871. In the latter institution
he enjoyed the privilege of sitting under the in-
struction of Di s. McClintock, Foster, Strong, Bxittz
In the spring of 1871, he was received into the New-
ark annual conference, and, in the order of the church,
after four years of conference studies, was ordained
elder in 18^5.
In the economy of Methodism, Mr. Randolph has
been the pastor of several churches, more recent-
ly at Hoboken, Perth Amboy, Newark and Hacketts-
142 PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.
ISAAC M. MARSH was born in Essex county, N. J. , in
1821. When twenty-two years of age he came to
Staten Island and established a carriage-making- busi-
ness in Richmond, where for many years he carried
on the largest business of the kind in the county. He
was serving as deputy-sheriff at the time the present
jail was built and was deputy under Sheriffs Simonson,
Dissosway (two terms) Guyon, Ellis and LocKman, and
one term as sheriff. About the time of the beginning
of the war he was elected president of the Union Con-
densed Milk Co., of Orange county.
At this time Peter V. Nolan, who had been in his em-
ploy for many years, was made a partner in the busi-
ness, and Mr. Marsh moved to Orange county where he
remained for three years. After his return to Rich-
mond he was appointed police commissioner and held
the office for twelve years. He was also one of the
Southfield drainage commissioners and one of the ap-
praisers for the B. & O. extension.
During the war Mr. Marsh furnished about seven
thousand horses and other supplies for the army.
Mr. Marsh is now living quietly at Richmond and
still retains his interest in the carriage business as
senior partner of the firm of Marsh & Nolan.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 143
NATHANIEL JARVIS WYETH
NATHANIEL JARVIS WYETH, son of ^narles and Elizabeth
Norris Wyeth, was born in Baltimore, Md., under the
star of the Democratic thirties of the nineteenth cent-
ury. He was schooled at Mount Hope in that city,
and at the classical high school of L,aureiiceville, N. J.,
and was graduated from the college and law school of
Harvard University, a student from 1846 to 1852, both
The Wyeth family was divided in colonial times, one
branch settling in Massachusetts and the other in
Virginia. George Wyeth represented the latter, hav-
ing participated in the Declaration of Independence,
beside being chief architect of the constitution of the
Nathaniel Wyeth was named after his distinguished
and valiant uncle, Nathaniel Jarvis Wyeth, of Cam-
bridge, Mass., who crossed the American continent in
the early thirties and settled in Oregon. After his
return to his home, he became the largest ice harvest-
ter, horticulturist, brick maker and inventor and
aboriginal linguist in the country, as Schoolcroft's
Mr. Wyeth began to practice law in the city of New
York in January 1853. His first memorable suit in-
volved the title to the Wilson survey of sixty thousand
acres in Virginia, with the eminent Josiah Randall as
his opponent, and was successful. This gave him
great eclat in wild land law, which he has sustained.
Then followed the Jacob Wyeth will matter of Cam-
bridge, Mass., assisted by the Hon. B. R. Curtis. In
1856, Albert Journeay, Edward Banker, Frederick R.
Grote, Stephen Seguine and other enterprising resi-
dents of Staten Island, employed Mr. Wyeth as counsel
for the construction of the lethargic Staten Island
railroad, which became an operated road and earned
attractive dividends soon after.
In 1856, Mr. Wyeth organized with Col. Henry S.
Lansing and Prof. Morse, the People's Oil and Mining
Company of West Virginia, with $2,000,000 capital. As
assemblyman, of the New York legislature of 1867 he
\vasoncommitteeofcolleges, academies and common
chools and the sub-committee of the whole. He there
advocated and passed the original elevated railroad
act for the real projectors of rapid transit in New
York, Messrs. Harvey and Jennings; also the East river
bridge bill for his client, John A. Roebling. He ad-
dressed the house on the constitutional amendment,
enlargement of the canal locks, removal of the
quarantine and the Metropolitan harbor district, the
T 44 PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.
forerunner of greater New York. All these speeches
were published by the hundreds and were dissem-
inated for their worth.
In 1868, Mr. Wyeth drew the papers for the first
petroleum railroad in the oil regions of Pennsylvania,
to the great profit of the projectors, George H. Bissell,
.Miller and others. He likewise prepared the patent
papers for Col. Roberts' oil torpedo and aided in sus-
taining them in the interference proceedings which
culminated in revolutionizing oil production, and
making the gallant colonel very wealthy.
In 1870, at the solicitation of Harlon M. Wilcox, of
Buffalo, Mr. Wyeth gave much attention to the pas-
sage of the Arcade railroad bill of New York. The
same year he originated, prepared and passed the
Staten Island bridge and harbor improvement bill,
which received the cordial approbation of the fore-
most engineers and scientists, James Hall, Harlon M.
Wilcox, Wm. J. McAlpin, Albert C. Stimers, C. Dela-
field, Washington. Roebling and others, Mr. Roebling
writing " a great desideratum and the only practical
scheme to accomplish this result." He also, that
year, projected and obtained an act for a general com-
mercial institution to be operated in Bureaux for the
different kinds of business.
The following year, 1871, as chairman of the com-
mittee on transportation and inter-communication of
the Richmond County Improvement Company, Law-
yer Wyeth was the author of their famous January
report. The same year, he labored about a month at
Trenton, while the New Jersey legislature was in ses-
sion, to procure the passage of his New Jersey Tube
Traiisporation Company bill, by which the corporators
obtained a franchise to construct railroads in New
Jersey, thus breaking the monopoly of the Pennsyl-
vania railroad, and helped to secure the passage of the
general railroad act of that state.
Three years later, Mr. Wyeth introduced through
Richmond county's then able assemblyman, Hon.
Stephen D. Stephens, Jr., his Belt Railroad Improve-
ment Company bill, with the object of reclaiming all
the outlying marshes and meadows of the county and
presenting to his fellow-citizens the finest beaches,
purest airs and most attractive homes and most
pleasant public resorts in the country. The previous
two years were somewhat engaged in assisting Chief
Engineer Abbott in securing terminal facilities for
the Continental Railway Company to New York
city through the New Jersey Tube Transportation
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893. 14-,
In 1880, Mr. Wyeth argued successfully at length
against the construction of the act of that year to
facilitate the collection of taxes for state purposes,
that would exempt corporations from taxes for local
purposes (which was nine-tenths of the gross tax) be-
fore that eminent jurist, Jasper T. Gilbert, in Brooklyn
at a special term, and won. About this time Counselor
Wyeth became general counsel for the universal in-
ventor, James Montgomery, of Philadelphia, and con-
tinued such till the death of Mr. Montgomery.
Beside originating, projecting and counseling such
generally useful measures, the subject of this sketch
pursues a systematic course of jurisprudence, science
and literature in his select and capacious library at
his "Florence home" and office on Richmond Hill, en-
gaging in many cases at the bar of this county and
elsewhere. His regular office was near Wall street,
Progress and humanity are the emblems of his
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND, 1893.
JOHN L. YOUNG.
Ex-JusTiCE JOHN L. YOUNG was born in London, En-
gland, in 1818, served his time in London as carriage
painter, and came to America in 1852. He arrived in
New York on Monday, and the following day obtained a
situation at Rahway, N. J., which was then a centre of
the carriage business.
He remained in one factory seventeen years, and in
1869, he moved to Richmond and has been in the em-
ploy of Isaac March and Marsh & Nolan since that
time. He is now living in comfortable circumstances.
In 1881, Mr. Young was elected justice and held the
office for eight years. He was also district clerk and
trustee of Richmond school for eighteen years. He
married, in 1838, Miss Emma Harris, daughter of
the famous aeronaut, Thos. Harris. She died in
Rahway in 1856 and was buried on. the anniversary
of her marriage.
In 1858, he married Miss Susan Harrington, of New
York, who is still living. Mr. and Mrs. Voting have
three daughters, Mrs. Wm. Finley, Mrs. George Hat-
field, of Rahway, and Mrs. George Lewis, of Jersey City,
sixteen grandchildren and five great grandchildren.
R. W. POLLOCK.
R. W. POLLOCK, General Traffic Agent of the Staten
Island Rapid Transit Railroad Company, was born in
Pittsburgh, Pa. He entered railway service Nov. nth,
1 872, since which time he has been consecutively to
June ist, 1873, receiving clerk of the local freight
station Allegheny Valley Railroad at Pittsburgh, Pa. ;
June ist, 1873, to spring of 1876, chief clerk local
freight department of the same road; spring of 1876
to April 1879, clerk in general freight agent's office
of the same road, and April 1879 to August isth, 1883,
chief clerk of the same office, same road; August i5th,
1883, to Dec. ist, 1885, General Agent Rochester and
Pittsburgh Railroad at Pittsburgh; Dec. ist, 1885,
to Oct. ist, 1886, General Agent Buffalo, New York and
Pittsburgh Railroad, same city; October ist, 1886, to
date, General Traffic Agent Staten Island Rapid Transit
Railroad, New York.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND
SUPPLEMENT 1894. 151
JOHN G. VAUGHN, justice of the peace of the town of
Southfield, was born in Ireland. He came to America
in 1847, lived in New York a while, then moved to New
Jersey, then to Williamsburg, at which place he
learned the trade of mason and builder.
In 1849, ^ r - Vaughn moved to Staten Island and
worked at his trade 011 R. Hamilton's first building
erecl ed in Hamilton Park. His next move was to Rich-
mond, where he became a partner with Builder Bur-
baiiK: of Rossville. After the dissolution of the firm,
Mr. Vaughn carried on the business in his own name,
and among other buildings erected by him are the
public school-house at Tompkinsville, the Tully
buildings, school-houses Nos. 2 and 3 of Southfield, the
Roman Catholic church and parsonage at Richmond
and the county clerk's office at Richmond.
Through his aid a bill was passed in the legislature
to purchase the ground for the village of Edgewater
Park, which he had built for the trustees of the park.
While he was living at Richmond the boundary line
of the town of Southfield included the greater part of
what is now known as the town of Middletown. Prior
to this there were but fovir towns in Richmond county,
and on one occasion, a tie was fotind in the board,
caused by Col. Ray Tompkins and the Hon. Richard
Christopher of Castleton, each claiming the seat of
supervisor representing Castleton. Hon. Robert
Christy, Hon. H. Weed and John G. Vaughn went to
Albany and had the town of Middletown created out
of the towns of Southfield and Castleton.
In 1858, John G. Vaughn was elected justice of the
peace, a position he holds up to this date.
In 1862, he raised a company of Staten Islanders
and went to the front with Gen. Banks' army in the
\Vest. Mr. Vavighn and his company rendered good
service and were engaged in all the battles vip to the
taking of Port Hudson, at which time he resigned and
returned home to his family then residing at Vander-
bilt's L,andiiig. The next spring he was re-elected
justice and the following autumn was nominated and
elected for the office of one of the three county super-
intendents of the poor.
In politics he is a sterling Democrat and has se-
cured great influence in his party. He has been dele-
gate to the county conventions for over thirty years,
has been to senatorial, congressional and state con-
ventions during all that period and nominated, at
Jamaica, the Hon. Erastus Brooks as member of the
last constitutional convention. He was elected three
times in succession, to the office of chairman of the
county committee and held this position in 1884,
when, it is well known, he most ably aided in the
election of President Cleveland. The facts in the
case are these: The night of the election Mr. Vaughn,
152 PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND
as previously arranged, after carefully canvassing the
vote of Richmond county, telegraphed to the Demo-
cratic headquarters to the Hon. M. C. Murphy and
Hon. James Smith who had charge at the Hoffman
House, New York, that Richmond county had given
for Cleveland 1892 majority.
When the canvass of the state was by them com-
pleted, awaiting the official returns, they discovered
that the state of New York had been won by the Re-
publicans. The committee sent for Mr. Vaughn, to
whom they stated that the result of the national
ticket devolved on Staten Island; that, as was the fact,
it required the vote of New York to elect and it re-
quired the vote of Staten Island to overcome Elaine's
majority, Elaine having a majority of all the votes cast
in this state down to the battery, of 923. On the final
canvass of the Staten. Island vote, Cleveland had
received a plurality of 1970 overcoming Elaine's vote
by 1047 majority of tnirty, giving to the nation a
JOHN B. NEWHALL, M. E.
JOHN E. NEWHALL, eldest son of Morris B. Newhall, was
born in the year 1855 at Randolph, Mass.
When, very young his family moved to South Boston,
at which place his early school training began. As a
boy he manifested a great taste for mechanics, and as
soon as his age would permit, he entered the technical
school, taking a thorough course in hydraulic and me-
About this time, he suffered an affliction in. the loss
of his parents, and being thrown on his own resources,
he secured a position with the Boston Machine Co.
After a few years of experience and untiring energy,
he was advanced and put in charge of the water pipe,
valve and hydrant department.
In this manner, be became interested in water-works
engineering, and in 1888 was made general superin-
tendent of the Maine Water Co., which owned and
operated seven separate water-works plants in dif-
ferent cities and towns in Maine.
During this time, he located in Waterville, Me. In.
July 1892, he resigned and identified himself with the
Crystal Water Co., of Edgewater. as superintendent
and general manager. Assuming this position with a
thorough knowledge of the details of the business, he
has been enabled to introduce many valuable reforms,
thereby increasing the efficiency of the fire service as
well as the domestic supply, and has curtailed the per
capiti constimption by the introduction of the meters.
Mr. Newhall resides on St. Paul's avenue, Stapleton,
with his wife, formerly Miss Annie F. Hubbard, of Oak-
land, Me., and their twin sons, Guy and Morris, aged
MICHAEL McGuiRE was born in Stapleton in 1861 and
was educated at the Broad street ptiblic school.
Mr. McGuire is a born politician and an out and out
Democrat. He went into politics at an early age and
has had a remarkably successful career.
His first office was that of justice of the peace of the
town of Middletown, to which he was elected in 1887
when only twenty-six years of age, being- at that time
one of the youngest jtistices in the county.
In 1888, he was appointed school collector and was
again elected in 1889. In 1890, he was electedtown col-
lector and re-elected in 1891.
In the spring of 1892 he was re-elected jtistice of the
peace, and in June of the same year was elected
trustee of the village of Edgewater. In 1893, he was
elected member of assembly tor Richmond county,
and in 1894 was re-elected village trustee and now
holds the office of village trustee and justice of the
154 PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND
CHAKLES E. HOYEK.
CHARLES E. HOYER was born March 25th, 1864, only
son of the late Captain Chas. W. Hoyer, well known in
marine circles, who for many years commanded the
famous old Collins Mail Steamship "Atlantic.'' When
a boy, he accompanied his parents at sea and visited
nearly every prominent port in the world.
Mr. Hoyer is a graduate of the Broad Street Mili-
tary Academy at Philadelphia. In 1883, he entered
New York journalism and since that time has been
the Staten Island correspondent for the leading New
York dailies ana the Union Press Exchange, repre-
senting the New York Associated Press.
In 1892, when a county board of excise was created
Mr. Hoyer was appointed clerk to the new board, which
position he now holds for the third consecutive term.
He was one of the organizers of the Staten Island
Yacht CKtb, of which organization he for two years was
elected commodore. He was also a charter member
of Pioneer Lodge No. 335, A. O. U. W., and Stapleton
Council No. 1435, Royal Arcanum; was secretary of the
former lodge for thr.se years, and is now secretary of
the latter lodge. He is also a member of Tompkins
Lodge, No. 471 F. & A. M., of Stapleton, the New York
Press Club, Staten Island Press Club and an honor-
ably discharged member of the Edgewater Fire De-
GEORGE W. ELLIS.
GEO. W. EiLis, chief clerk of the Richmond county
police department, was born in \Yoodbridge, N. J. ,
July 28th, 1836. He volunteered in defense of the
Union and was appointed quarterm aster of the 73rd
Regiment of the state of New York and served with
that regiment three months. In the year 1869, he was
elected supervisor of the town of Westfield. He was
elected stipervisor in 1870 and was chosen chairman
of the board. In 1871, he was appointed unanimously
a commissioner of police.
Mr. Ellis has always been a staunch Democrat and
an active member of his party. He is a Knight Tem-
plar and much interested in Masonic matters.
PROMINENT MEN OF STATEN ISLAND
JAMES SEATON, the subject of this sketch, was born
February nth, 1868. He is the oldest son of John
Seaton, of New Brighton, who has been a justice of
the town of Castleton for eight years, and is also
grandson of the late James Seaton who has been
treasurer of the village of New Brighton for a number
He was educated in district school, No. 3, of Castle-
ton, then took a commercial cotirse in Packard's Busi-
ness College together with a course in phonography
under Prof. James N. Kimball, of that institution,
graduating from that institution in 1887.
In Decemoer 1890, he was appointed by the board of
supervisors as stenographer to District-Attorney
Thomas W. Fitzgerald and also stenographer to the
grand juries of this county, which positions he now
holds, and which enable the grand juries of this
county to do more work in a day than ever was ac-
complished before by the service of a stenographer.
Mr. Seaton is unmarried and lives with his parents
.at New Brighton.
WM. J. BROWNE.
WM. J. BROWNE was born in New York May 28th, 1858.
He came to Staten Island with his parents in 1865 and
has since resided here. In 1880, in conjunction with
his brother, the late J. H. Browne, he issued the first
number of the Richmond County Democrat.
On the death of his brother two years ago he be-
came sole proprietor of the paper and has since con-
ducted the same.
158 PROMINENT MEN OF ST A/TEN ISLAND
HUGO KESSLER was born in 1849 i n Reiclienbach, a
manufacturing place in Saxony, Germany, at which
place his father \vas a manufacturer of woolen goods.
He came to this country in 1867 with his father. He
entered the printing business and in a very short
time secured a responsible position as foreman of