Citizens semi-centennial association, Ridgewood.

Ridgewood, Bergan County, New Jersey, past and present online

. (page 10 of 19)
Online LibraryCitizens semi-centennial association, RidgewoodRidgewood, Bergan County, New Jersey, past and present → online text (page 10 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

individual instruction along the best educational lines, and recognition
of the special needs of little children. Centrally and very pleasantly
located on West Ridgewood Avenue, this school expects to fill a need
of the parents of Ridgewood and to exert an ever-increasing influence
on the future development of the Village.

The first sewing school in this vicinity Avas opened with five pupils
in the Hawes homestead, Ho-Ho-Kus. After the establishment of an
Episcopal Mission Sunday School in the first public school of Ho-Ho-
Kus, the classes were held in that schoolroom on Saturday afternoons.
There was always a large attendance, some of the pupils coming from
Ridgewood. After the present W^aldwiek Public School was completed
the meetings were held alternately in the two places, and still later
a Saturday morning class was started where the older girls were taught



to cut and make their own dresses and children's garments. Direc-
tions for work and a book of "Serving Songs" were obtained from
New York and the classes continued for more than three years, the
number of workers increasing to fifty. Two New Year's trees and
one Christmas tree, filled witli gifts, were given by Ho-Ho-Kus friends
and at the close of the work an exhibit of the handicraft was held
in the Parish House of Waldwick Methodist Church, the older girls
wearing dresses made by themselves. The teachers during this time
were Mrs. and Miss R. W. Hawes and Miss Lucy Hawes.

It was this work which later interested the citizens of Ho-Ho-Kus,
Waldwick and Eidgewood in the petition for full school suffrage for
women and brought a letter from the County Superintendent of Edu-
cation thanking them for the "valuable work" they had done in the
public schools in many ways.


The Village Improvement Association was organized in 1897. and
among its projects for promoting the best interests of Ridgewood was
the establishment of a public library.

Many of the residents of Ridgewood will remember the old Zabriskie
Building, now remodelled and occupied as the real estate office of
Messrs. Stevens and Tetor.

The rent of this building was given for three years, and a "Book
Shower" was held. The books received were of all kinds and condi-
tions, but the committee of twenty selected a sufficient number to place
on the shelves for circulation and subscribed for ten periodicals to
be used in the reading room. Among the first books received — some
of which are still in use — were a number which had been accumulated
by the members of the "Tuesday Book Club", an organization of
Avomen of the Village established a number of years before. At the
end of three years, the room became too small for its purpose, and
in 1900 the library was established in its present quarters over the
First National Bank.

To meet the increased expense, the room was sublet to various
organizations and according to the law regarding libraries and free
reading rooms, the Village trustees in 1903 appropriated $300.00.

There are now on the shelves 4,800 volumes and 33 periodicals
are to be found in the reading room. In the year ending October,
1916, there was a circulation of 20,000 books.

Pn?LT.SHER's Note: Alflwugh announcerl after the date of the piihliratinn of this
hook and during the earhi vart of 1911. the gift hy wiU of Mrs. Gertrude Pease
Anderson of the siim of m 100.000 for the ereetion of a free lihrary in Ridgeirood.
and also the sum of $50,000 hoth in trust for its maintenance, in lonina memory of
her father. George L. Pease, to he ealled the "George L. Pea^

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Online LibraryCitizens semi-centennial association, RidgewoodRidgewood, Bergan County, New Jersey, past and present → online text (page 10 of 19)