Copyright
Citizens semi-centennial association, Ridgewood.

Ridgewood, Bergan County, New Jersey, past and present online

. (page 16 of 19)
Online LibraryCitizens semi-centennial association, RidgewoodRidgewood, Bergan County, New Jersey, past and present → online text (page 16 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


absorbed by the Ridgewood Golf Club.

During its existence its aim had been to appeal particularly for
the interest and support of the ladies, to which fact its growth and
success were mainly attributable. Two days of each w-eek were set
apart as Ladies' Days and weekly entertainments were given through-
out the season. During the winter months afternoon lectures were
held in the club parlors in the Opera House Building, followed by
a five o'clock tea.

The club was a member of the Whist League and the devotees of
the game made it a feature of the club life.

Ridgewood Country Club

Golf in Ridgewood dates back to 1893, when the old Ho-Ho-Kus
Golf Club was organized, the first in this section of New Jersey and

134



PAST AND PRESENT



said to be one of the first in the country. The heir to the old Ho-
Ho-Kus Club was the Ridgewood Golf Club, established in 1901, Avith
a golf course on Maple Avenue. Out of this latter club developed the
present Country Club which, on March 12, 1910, was organized as
an entirely new ])()dy, with the following officers and directors:

President 7. H. Snyder,

Vice-President ( '. W. Stocktox,

Secretary W. D. Lawton,

Treasurer PI. G. White.

Board of Directors

J. H. SxYDER, W. D. Lawtox, J. H. DuxxiXG, ('. \V. Stocktox,

H. G. White, G. F. Brackett. P. A. Toohey, J. C. Mahlax.

C E. Merrihew, G. E. Boreham, IT. S. Willard,

The Ridgewood Country Club is a corporation, the capital stock of
$50,000 being owned by about two hundred stockholders. Stockholders
may become regular members of the club by paying the prescribed
dues; otherwise a stockholder cannot enjoy any of the privileges of
the club, but may vote at all meetings of stockholders. A stockholder
may have but one vote in the affairs of the club, regardless of the
number of shares of stock he may hold. This is rather a unique
feature, as it gives every member an equal voice in the management
of the club; consequently, there is no particular object in a member
owning more than one share of stock except that he receives a 5 per
cent, return on his investment, provided he becomes a regular member.
This provision was made so that the club might be perpetuated and
to avoid the risk of a few members obtaining control and possibly at
some future date selling the land at a handsome profit. Under the
circumstances, there is no reason why this tract of land should not
continue indefinitely to be a beautiful park and pleasure ground prac-
tically in the heart of Ridgewood.

The whole project was founded and built upon the faith in a greater
and more beautiful Ridgewood and while, possibly, it was a little ahead
of its time, it will, no doubt, serve as a landmark by which all future
undertakings in Ridgewood may be measured. The purchase and de-
velopment of the property, including the erection of the clubhouse,
represent an outlay of more than $100,000. The corporation owns
102 acres of land, most of which was used in the development of an
eightcen-hole golf course. Donald Ross, the great golf professional,
has pronounced it one of the most beautiful spots for a golf course
in America.

There is a splendid brook, fed from natural springs, at either end
of the property. Both of these bi-ooks have been dammed on the lower
side of the property, creating two beautiful little lakes stretching
practically across the entire width of the property. These lakes fur-
nish hazards for golf in tlie summer time and ice parks for the skaters
in winter. In addition to these two bodies of water for skating, an
artificial skating rink has been created witliin twenty-five yards of the
clubhouse. There the broad expanse of hills stretching from the club-
house to Lincoln Avenue, that furnishes a splendid variety of golf

13.5



PAST AND PRESENT



during the season, is a wonderful place for tobogganing and coasting
during the winter.

Tennis, curling, archery and trapshooting are other outdoor sports
indulged in by the members, their families and guests during the
various seasons of the year.

The clubhouse contains a high-class cafe and restaurant, bowling
alleys, billiard and pool tables and a fine dancing pavilion that fur-
nishes amusement and recreation throughout the entire year. The
views from the clubhouse veranda are of surpassing beauty. On clear
days and nights the lofty buildings of New York are clearly visible
in the distance and the surrounding country in every direction fur-
nishes a panoramic picture beyond description.

Tlie membersliip at present is limited to two hundred and fifty
regular and special members, but the limit will, in all probability, be
raised to three hundred, as there are several applications on the wait-
ing list and experience indicates that the club can comfortably accom-
modate three hundred members.

Town Cluh

The present Town Club had its origin a few years prior to 1898
in an organization then known as the Eidgewood Juniors, having for
its original officers :

President Joiix G. Zabriskie,

Secretary Charles Stewart,

Treasurer Frank C. 8mack.

This organization consisted of nine members : John G. Zabriskie,
J. Robert Maltbie, Frank C. Smack, Charles Van Dien, Charles Stewart,
Fred Bykeeper, Everett Hopper, William Haight and Fred Z. Board.

The Juniors grew in numbers and in 1898 termed themselves the
Wliite Stars, a little later increasing to such proportions as to Avarrant
the renting of a home at w^hat is now No. 23 Hope Street. Later
rooms in Hutton Hall w'ere rented.

In 1901 they were incorporated as the White Stars. The organiza-
tion papers, dated June 14, 1901, specified that it was to be "An
association of less than five hundred members associated for the en-
couragement and practice of indoor and outdoor athletics." These
papers were signed by John G. Zabriskie, then President; Herbert A.
Obrig, Secretary ; Frank C. Smack, Treasurer, and also by John Robert
Maltbie, Joseph F. Carrigan, Jr., and Charles W. Eichells, Jr., acting
for the club. Shortly afterward the club purchased the property at
South Maple Avenue, where in June, 1904, the clubhouse w^as opened.
The house has since been acquired by the F. & A. M. of Ridgewood.

Under date of July 22, 1912, the amended certificate of incorpora-
tion was filed changing the name from the "White Star Athletic
Club" to the "Town Club of Ridgewood." This amended certificate
was signed by the following trustees: John B. Cavagnero, Edward
]Maxon, William C. Siegert, Harold Dwight, Frederick Pfeiffer, Bayly
Hipkins, Thomas P. Walls, A. S. Maerz, M. F. Bargebuhr and John
G. Zabriskie. At that time Walter L. Dawson was President and Robert
V. Bates, Secretary.

137



RIDGEWOOD, BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY

This amended cei'tificate specified as the purposes of the Town Club
the "engaging in all forms and classes of athletic sports and generally
to promote and maintain social intercourse among, to encourage the
literary pursuits of, and to provide entertainment and recreation for
its members."

During the Avinter of 1912-1913, the present property on North
Maple Avenue, consisting of approximately 12 acres, was purchased.
Because the Town Club had alwajs taken a lively interest in local
affairs, it consented to sell the Ridgewood Avenue property previously
used by the White Stars as an athletic field, to the Village to become a
part of the new high school site.

Carrying out the purposes of the organization, the club now pro-
vides for its members bowling on four excellent alleys, billiards, pool,
whist and other card games, library, dancing and ballroom in the club-
house, baseball and tennis on the grounds, there being five excellent
courts for the latter game. Ladies have the privilege of the clubhouse
as specified by various actions of the Board of Governors, and the
families of members, as well as the school teachers, have the privileges
of the tennis courts. The baseball diamond and the football field have
been gratuitously given over for the use of the Ridgewood High School
baseball and football teams.

A limit of 250 has been placed upon the club membership as now
constituted, and 238 of this number have been secured.

Paramus Valley Pliotograpliic Association

On March 23, 1903, a number of amateur photographers met in the
evening in the Tower Room of the Y. M. C. A. Building — the Opera
House — to consider the question of organizing. In April the Paramus
Valley Photographic Association was launched with the following mem-
bership :

President Henry W. Hales,

Vice-President C. H. Lomax ]\Iitchell,

Secretary I. P. Lawton.

Treasurer A. A. Fitzhugh.

Everet L. Zabriskie, Jos. Carrigan, Leonard A. Smith, Austin Hanks,
S. S. MeCready, Maurice Hopkins, P. G. Delamater, H. D. Hartley,
F. H. Howland, Peter 0. Terheun, Theodore Obrig, and George Fer-
guson. At intervals the membership was augmented bv the addition
of the following : G. D. Clippel, H. V. Townsend, H. W. Wilson, W. H.
Moore, W. J. Tonkin, Chas. A. Throckmorton, Jos. J. Smith, Harvey
Blauvelt, E. W. Cobb, Jas. J. Bailej^, Geo. M. Schinzel and A. Lee Don.

The declared purpose of the association was the "advancement of
the science and art of photography." Of those who were enrolled, there
Avere a few Avho devoted most of their spare time to photographic Avork,
and these were the ones upon Avhom the labor devolved Avhen an outing
or an exhibition Avas to be organized. IMonthly meetings Avere held and
Avere well attended.

In June, 1903, the first annual exhibition Avas given in the room of
the Library Association, First National Bank Building. On this occa-

l?.s



PAST AND PRESENT



sion, more than four hundred photographs were shown and, in addition
to the prints exhibited, there were many lantern slides and transparen-
cies, all of which had been produced by members. The exhibition was
vv^ell attended and the association Wcis encouraged to greater effort.

Tlie 1904 exhibit was well received and the work of the members
showed nuich improvement both in choice of subjects and composition.
The artistic discrimination was notable and the distinction between the
ordinary amateur photograph of the preceding season and the later
work of the members Avas accentuated by comparison.

In the 1905 exhibition the association conducted a competition open
to all amateurs, without regard to membership. Ten solid silver cups
were provided as prizes. Twenty entrants displayed more than four
hundred prints in Hutton Hall. Nineteen persons entered 197 pictures
in the several competitive classes. A feature of the exhibit was a col-
lection of 33 photographs of old houses in Bergen County, all of which
were of historic value. This was the work of Mr. B. H. Allbee, then
Vice-President of the Bergen County Historical Society. A notable
fact in connection with the display was the contribution of specimens
of photographic skill by amateurs residing in distant towns ancl cities —
Hackensack, "N. J.; Detroit, Mich.; Bristol, England; Portland, Me.;
Allendale, N. J., and Brooklyn, N. Y. On the evening of the second day,
the exhibition was closed with the display of 225 stereopticon views,
the product of home talent.

In the meantime, the association members made excursions into the
regions about Ridgewood in all kinds of weather and many were the
unique pictures made in spring, summer, autumn and winter. There
were many requests for the loan of photos for exhibition in the fairs
and entertainments of other clubs. The meetings were often enlivened
by demonstrations of methods of working, from the choosing of the
point of view from which to obtain tlie best results of light and shade,
to the development of original ideas of mounting and framing the
resultant print.

Woman's Club of Eidgewood, N. J.

One of Ridgew^ood's most valued assets is its Woman's Club which
was organized in 1909, federated in 1910 and later incorporated in
1914. The following served as the original officers:

President Mrs. William F. Allex,

Vice-Presidents \ f^""' ^^harles W. Stocktox and

( Mrs. Charles A. Deshon,

Recording Secretary Mrs. Cornelius Doremus,

Correspo7ulinc) Secretary ^NFrs. Lansing P. Wood

Treasurer Mrs. Duncan D. Chaplin.

The purposes for which the club was organized were the mutual
improvement of its members through study and social intercourse and
the active promotion of civic and social betterment. The clul) has de-
partments of music, history and travel, drama and literature, and home
economics. Civics and current events are also discussed.

The membership is divided as follows: Active 326; Honorary 14;
Inactive 2; making a total of 342.

139



RIDGEWOOD, BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY

The Woman's Club of Upper Ridgewood

The Woman's Club of Upper Ridgewood \vas organized November
20, 1912. The original officers were :

President Mrs. Charles K. Ai.len,

Secretary Mrs. E. A. Nichols,

Treasurer Mrs. E. IT. Portsmore.

There are at present 40 members in the club.

The purpose of the organization is to promote neighborly interest,
and the work done by the club has this purpose alwa^'s Ijefore it in its
philanthropic, social and school work.

College Cluh

The College Club was oi-ganized in September, 1913, by women
graduates of colleges, residing in Ridgewood. Tlie officers elected at
the time of organization were :-

President Miss Nell B. Doremus,

Vice-President Mrs. Theodore S. Hope,

Hecretary-Treasurer Mrs. Ruth Wood Cadmus.

Assistant Secretary Miss Raena Ryersox.

The original purpose was to aid in establishing the Woman's Col-
lege of New Jersey at Rutgers, but that plan was abandoned in 1915
by the State Leaders, so at present the club is interested in establish-
ing a girls' scholarship fund. The organization has 35 members.

Tlie League for Creative Work

The League for Creative Work was organized in April, 1914, with
the purpose of producing original work as writers, artists and musicians.
The original officers were :

President Mrs. Laxsixg P. Wood,

Vice-President Mrs. James B. Parsons,

Secretary-Treasurer Mrs. William F. Sroufe.

The present membership numbers nineteen.

Garden Club of Ridgewood

The Garden Club of Ridgewood was organized in November, 1914.
The object of the club is to broaden and increase its knowledge of
growing things by an exchange of ideas and experiences at periodical
meetings of its members; also to stimulate intelligent and artistic gar-
dening.

Its membership numbers 60. Men living in Ridgewood and vicinity,
having gardens in which an active interest is taken and over which a
personal supervision is exercised, only are eligible for membership.
Incidentally, it is the only garden club of men within a very consid-
erable radius of New York City. Monthly meetings are held at which
papers prepared by members and dealing with their own experiences,
are read. Discussions of various garden problems that constantly arise
are entered into and plans for the exchange of plants are perfected.
Members who have been delegated to visit garden club shows and nurs-

140



PAST AND PRESENT



eries report their findings to the club and professional talent is engaged
to lecture from time to time. A systematic distribution of flowers to
the hospitals is also a very pleasant feature of the club's work. Two
shows a year are given, in June and September, to w^hich the public is
invited. These shows not only include flowers, but fruits and vege-
tables.

The officers of the club, all of whom have served since the organi-
zation, are :-

President Robert L. Roe,

Vice-President Stanley R. Walker,

Secretary-Treasurer E. T. Sowter.

Ridgeivood Rifle Club

The Ridgewood Rifle Club was organized in October, 1915, with
a charter membership of about 20. Affiliation was at once effected with
the National Rifle Association of America. The club's membership soon
rose to nearly 50 and it has become one of Ridgewood 's most popular
organizations.

Under the guidance of the first officers,

President Daniel R. Bacon,

Vice-President A. A. Winters,

Secretary A. L. Forman,

Treasurer A. L. Coburn,

Executive Officer Dr. H. S. Willard,

the first year of the club's existence has been a most successful one.
A range for indoor shooting was secured in the old cement works on
Spring Avenue and many a hotly contested competition has been held
there among the members and with teams from neighboring towns.

Many members who, a year ago scarcely knew what a rifle was in-
tended for, have developed surprising expertness, so much so that to
date the club team has never been beaten in a match and a number of
the men wear National emblems attesting their prowess as sharpshooters
or marksmen.

The club has in prospect the establishment of an outdoor range upon
which the regular army service rifle may l)e used.

The privilege of the range is extended to students in the Ridgewood
High School and a large iuim])er of the upper classmen arc educating
themselves in the use of firearms.

PATRIOTIC ORGANIZATIONS

Ridgewood has not devoted all its efforts to the securing of pleasure
and amusement by means of social intercourse, but has found enjoy-
ment in preserving the nuMiioi'les of its ancestors and in safeguarding
the future of its children. This ])atriotic spirit has found expression
in the following organizations :-

Daughters of the Revolution

The Society of the Daughters of the Revolution was organized in
1891, its object being "to perpetuate the patriotic spirit of the men
and women who achieved American Independence; to commemorate

141



RIDGEWOOD, BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY

prominent events connected with the War of the Revolution ; to collect,
publish and preserve the rolls, records and historic documents relating
to that period; to encourage the study of the country's history; to
promote sentiments of friendship and common interest among the mem-
bers of the Society, and to provide a home for and furnish assistance
to such Daughters of the Revolution as may be impoverished, when
it is in their power to do so."

In May, 1900, a chapter called the Ramapo Valley Chapter, Daugh-
ters of the Revolution, was founded in Ridgewood by Mrs. Richard
W. Hawes, who being a member of the Montclair Chapter, was ap-
pointed Organizing Regent by the General Secretary in New York.
The five charter members Avere Miss Rebecca W. Hawes, Mrs. Richard
Hawes, Mrs. T. A. Strange, Miss Martha E. Smith and Miss Florence
de la M. Bunce. Since the organization of this chapter there has been
but one Historian-Registrar, Miss Rebecca W. Hawes, who was elected
to this office for life. The first Regent, Miss Florence de la M. Bunce,
served for a period of fourteen years.

The meetings are held at the homes of the members, of Avhom there
are now forty, with the exception of the June meeting, wlien, in com-
memoration of the Battle of Bunker Hill, the chapter makes its annual
pilgrimage to the Revolutionary intrenchments at Hillburn, New York,
marked by them Avith a granite tablet.

Junior Order United American Mechanics

This patriotic order was organized in Ridgewood on February 18,
1897, with 125 charter members and with these original officers :-

Couiwiler J. D. Van Emeurgh,

Viee-Counciler S. O. Giles,

Financial Secretary Hekvey Terhune,

Recording Secretary .J. Blauvelt Hopper,

Treasurer I. A. Wall.

Its objects are —

First — To maintain and promote the interests of Americans and shield
them from the depressing effects of foreign competition.

Second — To assist Americans in obtaining employment.

Third — To encourage Americans in business.

Fourth — To establish a Sick and Fnneral Fund.

Fifth — To maintain the Public School System of the United States of
America and to prevent sectarian interference therewith, and up-
hold the reading of the Holy Bible therein.
The membership now numbers 280.

Independence Day Association of Ridgewood, N. J., Inc.

In 1910 the Independence Day Association held its first meeting
and elected as officers the following:

President Mrs. J. E. Coyle,

Vice-Presidoit Mrs. F. F. Kxothe,

Secretary Mrs. J. Turner,

Treasurer ]\Ii;s. W. J. Tonkin.

After two successful years, it Avas incorporated in 1912.

142



PAST AND PRESENT



The purposes for which this corporation was formed are to discour-
age the general public use of dangerous firearms and fireworks; to
foster and stimulate a patriotic spirit and sentiment in the citizens and
children of Ridge wood, N. J., and vicinity, by observing Independence
Day in a fitting manner; the same to be accomplished by parades,
pageants, mass meetings, fireworks and other suitable and appropriate
observances, and in general to do all things in connection with the
foregoing that may be necessary and expedient.

The membership consists of the subscribers to its fund and in 191G
it numbered 238 individuals and firms and nine organizations.

The Theodosia Burr Cliapter, Junior Sons and Daughters of the

Revohition

The Junior Auxiliary of the Ramapo Valley Chapter, Daughters
of the Revolution, was organized in June, 1912, with the object of
"encouraging patriotic spirit in citizens of the vicinity in every prac-
ticable way and to extend its influence in this direction to other places,
as opportunity occurs, and to promote friendship and common interest
among the members of the chapter."

With ]\Iiss Edna Bunce as Director, and five charter members, the
following officers were elected: —

President Vavghn Keeley,

l^ccrefary C'oxstance Frejn^ch,

Treasurer Morton Adams.

In 1913, the name was changed to Penelope Von Princips Chapter,
Junior Sons and Daughters of the Revolution.

In 1914, a change in the name was suggested and the Chapter is
now known as the Theodosia Burr Chapter, Junior Sons and Daugh-
ters of the Revolution, Theodosia Burr being the daughter of Widow
Theodosia Provost and Aaron Burr, and directly associated with this
vicinity.

The Theodosia Burr Chapter now has an enrollment of 35 members,
having the greatest increase in membership during the year of 1914-15
of any Junior Chapter in the State.

Company L, Fifth Regiment, N. G., N. J.

Company L was mustered in on February 20, 1913. Tlic original

officers were :

Captain Joseph L. Smith,

First Lieutenant Horace G. Clevetand,

Seeond Lieutenant John Merrihew.

Upon the resignation of ]\Ir. Cleveland and Mr. Merrihew, Joseph R.
Brackett became First Lieutenant and Gene E. Pattison became Second
Lieutenant. Lieutenant Brackett Avas lost bj' death and Lieutenant
Pattison resigned.

The company Avas nuistered in to federal service in June, 1916, Avith
Captain Joseph J. Smith commanding, the junior officers being — •

First Lieutenant Joseph C. Fitts,

Second Lieutenant Samuel I. Bateman.

143



RIDGEWOOD, BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY

On the date of mobilization, June 19, 1916, the company had 65
men on its rolls and was sent with its regiment, the Fifth New Jersey
Infantry, N. G., to Sea Girt, N. J., at which place the New Jersey
brigade was to mobilize. The Fifth Regiment entrained for Douglas,
Ariz., on June 13th. On its return to the East, the regiment reached
Paterson November 3, 1916. After a parade in Paterson, the out-of-
town companies returned to their quarters and Company L was mus-
tered out of the federal service on November 11, 1916.

Several acres of ground on East Franklin Avenue were donated to
the Ridge wood Armory Association by Mrs. Joseph W. Edwards for
the purpose of erecting an armory thereon for the use of Compan}^ L.
The foundation has already been completed with the aid of funds raised
m Ridgewood.

At present active efforts are being made to secure the $25,000 ap-
propriation for this building authorized by the State Legislature.

Paramus Cliapter of the New Jersey Sociefij, Sons of the American

Revolution

The Paramus Chapter No. 6, New Jersey Society of the Sons of the
American Revolution was organized through the efforts of Mr. R. T.
Wilson, with 35 charter members, on December 18, 1913. Those offi-
cers elected at the first meeting were :

President .Judge Coenelius Doeemus,

Vice-President Kichabd T. Wilsoiv,

Secretary .Tof-EPH B. Robeets,

Treasurer L. F. Halsted,

Historian E. L. Zabriskie.

The objects of this society are declared to be patriotic, historical
and educational, and include those intended or designed to perpetuate
the memory of the men who, by their services or sacrifices during the
war of the American Revolution, achieved the independence of the
jA merican people ; to unite and promote fellowship among their de-
scendants; to inspire them and the community at large with a more
profound reverence for the principles of the Government founded by


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 16 18 19

Online LibraryCitizens semi-centennial association, RidgewoodRidgewood, Bergan County, New Jersey, past and present → online text (page 16 of 19)