Copyright
Citizens semi-centennial association, Ridgewood.

Ridgewood, Bergan County, New Jersey, past and present online

. (page 17 of 19)
Online LibraryCitizens semi-centennial association, RidgewoodRidgewood, Bergan County, New Jersey, past and present → online text (page 17 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


our forefathers ; to encourage historical research in relation to the
American Revolution; to acquire and preserve the records of the indi-
vidual services of the patriots of the war, as well as documents, relics
and landmarks; to mark the scenes of the Revolution by appi'opriate
memorials; to celebrate the anniversaries of the prominent events of
the war and of the Revolutionary period; to foster true patriotism;
to maintain and extend the institutions of American freedom, and to
carry out the purposes expressed in the preamble of the Constitution
of our country and the injunctions of Washington in his farewell ad-
dress to the American peo])le.

The Cliapter has now 51 members.

The National Security League — Ridgewood Brancli

One of Ridgewood 's newest organizations is the branch of the Na-
tional Security League wliicli was organized on April 6, 1916, through

144



PAST AND PRESENT



the efforts of Mr. W. E. Remington, who was elected Chairman. With
him are serving —

Vice-Chairman B. F. Sloat,

Secretary George M. Schinzel,

Assistant Secreiary Jcdson SALiSBrRY,

Treasurer James D. Craig.

The folloAving, Avith the officers, compose the Executive Committee:
Lewis R. Conklin. Judge Cornelius Doremus, W. D. Ferris, Joseph
Pitts, T. J. Foster, J. J. Glynn, E. B. Lilly, George N. Pfeiffer, 0. B.
Surpless and R. T. Wilson.

The National Security League is non-political, non-partisan and
absolutely neutral. Its object is to arouse the American public to a
sense of the nation's naval and military weakness, of the national
menace that attends the present state of unpreparedness and, through
public mass meetings, petitions and resolutions, to bring pressure to
bear upon representatives in Congress to provide an adequate army
and navy as determined by the expert army and navy officers.

The kidgewood branch has more than 300 members who are also
interested in increasing the membership of the American Red Cross.

Bergen County Historical Society.

An organization of interest to the citizens of Ridgewood is the
Bergen County Historical Society which has been extremely active
in delving into the past and has brought to light much of value. In
1895 an exhibition was given in the Opera House under the auspices
of this society. There were shown coins, ancient documents, weapons,
clothing, implements of industry, family trifles and records, and an
inspection of the articles displayed was a liberal education in the his-
tory of the past. People throughout this section responded with en-
thusiasm and were surprised to learn that there was here so much of
interest relating to our past history.

Among the past presidents of this organization are Judge Cornelius
Doremus, Judge David Zabriskie and Everett L. Zabriskie of Ridge-
wood, while R. T. Wilson is at present a vice-president.

POLITICAL ORGANIZATIONS

Ridgewood is not without its political activities nor its fqrces which
have influence for good government, as is evidenced by the five active
organizations in the Village.

The Woman's Suffrage Association

In 1894, as the only member in this part of Bergen County of the
New Jersey State Suffrage Association, Miss Rebecca W. Hawes circu-
lated a petition for the restoration of full school suffrage for women
and obtained a hundred signatures in Ridgewood and Ho-Ho-Kus.

At a meeting of the Ramapo Valley Chapter, Daughters of the
American Revolution, it was voted that the members in favor of suf-
frage should call a meeting and invite Mrs. Minnie Reynolds to organ-

145



RIDGEWOOD, BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY

ize a branch of the Woman's Political Union of New Jersey. The
meeting was held at the home of Miss Hawes, Corsa Terrace, on
November 21, 1913. At a second meeting held a month later at the
residence of Mrs. F. F. Knothe, The Woman's Political Union was
organized with the following officers:

President "Mrs. Carl M. Vail,

First Vice-President Mrs. C. W. ]VIacDonough,

Second Vice-President Mrs. Frances H. Waltox,

Secretary Mrs. Cynthia Mitchell,

Treasurer ]\Irs. George Etesse,

Press Agent Mrs. F. H. Valentine,

Auditor Mrs. F. F. Knothe.

In October, 1916, The Woman's Political Union was absorbed by
the Woman's Suffrage Association of New Jersey.

Ridgeivood Democratic Club

The Democratic Club was organized in 1892. Its original officers
were:

President J. B. Cavagnabo,

Vice-President Dr. G. M. Ockford,

Secretary .Joh n J. Murphy,

Treasurer Frank A. Baxter.

The object of the organization was to promote Democracy along the
lines laid down by Thomas Jefferson, to establish good government by
the election of honest and efficient men to office, with the greatest good
to the greatest number and special privileges to none. There are 95
members in the club.

Voters' League

The Voters' League was organized August 29, 1910. The constitu-
tion provides, '4ts object shall be to secure and maintain the maximum
of efficiency in the government of Ridgewood". The adoption in 1911,
by the Village of Ridgewood, of its present form of government was
clue to the energetic campaign conducted by the officers and members
of the League in presenting to the citizens the merits of the common
form of government.

Its first officers were :

President Lewis R. Conklin,

Vice-President Samuel S. McCurdy,

Treasurer Frank A. Thayer,

Secretary S. S. Walstrum,

and the Executive Committee which was composed of the above officers
and John T. Hanks, J. McGuinness, Jr., Edward J. Miller, Frank F.
Knothe and Harvey H. Palmer.

Republican Club
The present Republican Club was organized in 1912 with —

President I.E. Hutton,

Secretary Frank Stevens,

Treasurer W. 0. Dietrich.

146



PAST AND PRESENT



It was re-organized on January 20, 1916.

The object of the club is to carry out most effectively the principles
nnd good government as expressed by Republicanism; to further the
interests of the Republican ticket and by that means secure the election
of Republican candidates. The club has about 75 members.

Citizens and Taxpayers' Association

The Citizens and Taxpayers' Association was organized in 1913.
The following were its original officers:

President I. E. Hutton,

Vice-Presidtvt B. F. Sloat,

Secretary R. L. Fernbach,

Treasurer F. L. Dooly,

Chairman of Executive Committee W. O. Dietrich.

The Citizens' and Taxpayers' Association is a non-partisan body of
Toters and has about 300 members.

FRATERNAL ORGANIZATIONS

Another result of the "get-together" spirit manifested by the people
of Ridgewood has resulted in the organization of branches of sevoi
fraternal orders :

Fidelity Lodge No. 113, F. ^ A. M.

The Ridgewood Branch of the Masonic Order, established in 1869,
is the oldest existing organization in Ridgewood. The original officers
were:

Master John M. Knapp,

Senior Warden Robert B. Cable,

■Junior ^Vavden John A. Ackerman.

The present membership numbers 245.

Paramiis Valley Council No. 1597, Royal Arcanum

The Paramus Valley Council No. 1597 of the Royal Arcanum was
organized in Ridgewood on INIarch 5, 1895, with the following as the
original officers:

Regent Rev. E. H. Cleveland,

Vice-Regent C. C. West,

Past Regent C. H. Eddy,

Orator L. F. Halsted,

Secretary B.C. Wooster,

Collector L. N. Taft,

Treasurer S. W. Orne,

Chaplain F. H. White,

Ouide J. H. Oxley,

Warden E. B. Van Horn,

Sentry F. A. Ross,

( Alexander Bell,

Trustees \ John R. Stevens,

( H. G. White.

Representative to Grand Council C. H. Eddy

Alternate to Grand Council Rev. E. H. Cleveland,

Medical Examiner Dr. G, M, OckfobD,

147 I



RIDGEWOOD, BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY

The original membership in 1895 was 32. It has now increased
to 303.

The Royal Arcanum is a fraternal beneficiary order founded in
Boston in 1877. It has a membership of about 250,000 and has paid
to the widows and orphans of its memliers $185,000,000, of which over
$100,000 has been paid in RidgcAvood.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows is a secret, beneficiary so-
ciety, having for its purpose the elevation of human character. While
sick and funeral benefits are paid, Oddfellowship is not an insurance
society and this feature of the work should at all times be recognized
as secondary to the great work of the organization which consists of
"visiting the sick, relieving the distressed, burying the dead and edu-
cating the orphan". It therefore presents a broad platform upon which
mankind may unite in offices of human benefaction.

The order in America was founded April 26, 1819, in Baltimore,
by Thomas Wildey, a young mechanic, and four others. It began to
grow and to spread into other localities and at the present time its
membership extends throughout the civilized world and numbers 2,190,-
000, Since the year 1830, prior to which no records were kept, $170,-
000,000 has been paid out for the relief of members of the order.

Ridgewood Lodge No. 260, I. 0. 0. F., was instituted on the after-
noon of November 7, 1900, with twelve charter members, Thomas E.
English, Charles F. Bechtlofft, George A. Stevens, Theodore H, Meade,
William H. Fogg, John Q. Archdeacon, Frank M. Merritt, James H.
Salisbury, John G. Hopper, James B. Christopher, John McCroden
and George N. Winters. The first four named are the only charter
members remaining at the present time.

The first officers installed at the institution were:-

Noble Grand Thomas E. English,

Vice Grand George N. Wintebs,

Recording Secretary John Q. Archdeacon,

Financial Secretary George A. Stevens,

Treasurer Frank M. Merritt.

In the same evening 35 were admitted to membership by initiation.
At present the membership numbers 51.

Branch 991, National Association of Letter Carriers

The Ridgewood Branch of this national organization received its
charter on April 22, 1904. The following served as original officers:

President Robert Campbell.

Secretary Peter R. Titus,

Treasurer Arthur Storms.

The purpose of the association is to promote social and fraternal
affairs, to improve and equalize labor conditions in the service and to
increase the efficiency of the service.

The membership consists of the eight regular city carriers and their
two substitutes.

148



PAST AND PRESENT



Ridgewood Chapter No. 39, Order of the Eastern Star

The Ridgewood Chapter No. 39, Order of the Eastern Star, held its
first meeting February 5, 1909, at which the following Avere the original
executives elected:

Worthy Matron Mrs. M. V. Tonkin,

Worthy Patron Mr. P. G. Delamater,

Associate Matron Mrs. B. G. Schinzel,

Secretary Mr. W. J. Tonkin.

Court Midland Park No. 172, Foresters of America

The Court Midland Park No. 172, Foresters of America, was or-
ganized on November 15, 1910, and incorporated on May 2, 1911.
The original officers were:

Chief Ranger .Thomas Post,

Sub-Chief Ranger Louis Carlough,

Past Chief Ranger John Marr,

Lecturer Daniel M. Calkoen,

Financial Secretary Charles J. Christopher,

Recording Secretary William J. Benjamin,

Treasurer John Robertson,

Senior Woodward Nicholas Heemstra,

Junior Woodward George Phillips,

Senior Beadle Adam B. Goetchins,

■Junior Beadle Caradog P. Morgan,

Physician Dr. Joseph Payne,

{Hubbard Ferguson,
John Phillips,
John R. Stott.

The organization has for its purpose the raising and maintaining
of a fund for the purpose of defraying the burial expenses of members
and their wives, and the rendering of assistance to members when sick
and unable to follow their employment, and providing medical attend-
ance and medicine. There are at present 75 members.

Ridgewood Council No. 1736, Knights of Columbus

This order was organized in Eidgewood in June, 1914. It had as
its original officers the following:

Grand Knight Paul A. McGoldrick,

Deputy Grand Knight Henry Johnson,

Chancellor P. L. Alberse,

Recording Secretary T. B. Hesketh,

Financial Secretary J. G. Crowley,

Treasurer J. Moran,

Lecturer W. W. O'Neil,

Advocate T. P. Connor,

Warden J. S. Hand,

Inside Guard J. H. Trey, Jr.,

Outside Guard W. Nalley,

{\V. jMoran,
W. Dermody,
F. Hand,
Chaplain Rev. P. F. Pindar.

The Knights of Columbus have as their objectives: Charity, Patriot-

149



lilDGEWOO'D, BERGEN COUNTYy NEW JERSEY

ism, Unity, Education and Brotherly Love. The Ridgewood Council
has a membership of about 100.

MUSICAL CLUBS

Eidgewood is fortunate in possessing two musical clubs, one com-
posed of Avomen and one composed of men. Not only do they encourage
the study of music but they give four private concerts a year which
always prove a delight to those fortunate enough to be present.

The Orpheus Cluh

The Orpheus Club was organized in 1909. Its object was to bring
together the male singers of Eidgewood for mutual enjoyment and to
give private concerts to be supported by the active and subscribing
members.

The club was organized with ten active members. The following
officers were elected for the first year:

President G. U. White,

Vice-President Jb . E. Powley,

Secretary-Treasurer F. F. Knothe,

Librarian Wilbur Morris,

Chairman Music Committee G. R. Young.

The club chose as conductor, Mr, Dewitt Clinton, Jr., who on Octo-
ber 5, 1914, was succeeded by the present conductor, Wilbur A. Luyster.
In the spring of 1910, Mr. Bevier Smith was selected as accompanist.
Two private invitation concerts were given in May and June of 1910.
The active membership had then grown to fifteen.

In October, 1910, the club began its second season by planning to
give two public concerts each season. An associate membership Avas
established. No tickets were sold for the concerts, but active and asso-
ciate members received and distributed them as invitations to the con-
cert. This practice has been maintained through the seven seasons of
the club's successful history.

The active members consist of 22 tenors and 23 bassos. There is
an associate membership of 140.

The Cecilia Society

The Cecilia Society, composed of women of Eidgewood, was organ-
ized in November, 1912. Its original officers were:

President Mrs. J. Purcell,

Recording Secretary Mrs. \A'ilfred Kurth,

Corresponding Secretary and Treasurer . . . .Mrs. Herman Fritz,

Librarian Mrs. E. E. Alley,

Assistant Librarian Mrs. C. F. Osgood.

CJmirman of Arrangemoils Mrs. W. H. Haddox.

Musical Director Mrs. Elizabeth D. Leonard.

The object of this society is to encourage the study of music, par-
ticularly choral and instrumental music, the study and discussion of
musical literature and the expounding of such literature by its members

150



PAST AND PRESENT



and various distinguished musical artists. The society has a member-
ship of 200.

WELFARE ASSOCIATIONS

The people of Ridgewood have always taken an active interest in
civic matters and the general welfare of the community and its citizens.
As proof of this concern, there have developed within the past twenty
years, eight organizations which are now doing effective work.

Village Improvement Association

The Village Improvement Association was organized by the women
of the Village on November 4, 1897, for the purpose of improving and
beautifying the Village. The first officers were:

President Mrs. de L. Eerier,

First Vice-President Mrs. Allen Macnaughton,

Hecoiid Vice-President Mrs. I. E. Huttox,

Recording Secretary Miss HorsTOX,

Corresponding Secretary .Miss Carrigax,

Treasurer Mrs. G. U. \Yhite.

Among the several committees were such as — Children's Auxiliary,
Prevention of Cruelty to Children and Animals, Street, Sanitary, Hu-
mane, Railroad, Penny Savings Bank, Park, Library and Preservation
of Natural Beauties. As showai elsewhere in this book, the results of
the association 's efforts are prominent among the achievements of Ridge-
wood 's citizens.

In 1904 the various committees were disbanded because several ob-
jects had been attained as, for instance, the street cleaning and the
systematic removal of garbage. The Library Committee continued its
work. The Village Trustees allowed the association $300 a year for the
support of the Library and the Commissioners have continued this
appropriation.

The Village Improvement Association was incorporated in January,
1916, its only activity being the operation of the Public Library.

The Ridgewood Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The Ridgewood Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Avas organized in 1899 with a membership of less than twenty men and
\vomen. Cases of cruelty Avere then tried in Hackensack. The meet-
ings were at first held at the home of Mrs. George N. Ockford, but later
a room in the Library Building was secured and was kept open for
several hours each day for the purpose of receiving complaints.

The original officers were:

President ]\Irs. C. C. Harrison,

First Vice-President Mrs. George N. Ockford,

Second Vice-President Miss Bertha Mills,

Third Vice-President Miss F. G. Vietor,

Secretary Mrs. F. J. Walton,

Treasurer Mrs. J. Carshaw,

Veterinarian Dr. Holdenby.

On account of death and the change of residence of several members,
the society at one time became inactive, but was finally reorganized

151



RIDGEWOOD, BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY

and its charter returned. Membership and activities increased so that
now cases are tried in Ridgewood and tlie Village has turned over to
the society the care of all animals.

During the presidency of Mrs. H. A. Bonynge, a drinking fountain
was erected at the intersection of Spring and Maple Avenues and a
shelter in the town yard was built for housing animals.

At present the society is caring for between 200 and 300 animals
a year, besides handling numerous complaints. The society is also
working hard, with the assistance of the Semi-Centennial Committee,
to raise funds for a handsome granite combination drinking fountain,
designed by Mr. H. E. Paddon, to be erected in the Plaza.

Wojuan's Auxiliary to the Young Men's Christian Association

The Woman's Auxiliary to the Young Men's Christian Association
was formed for the purpose of assisting the Y. M. C. A. and its work
for young men. It was organized on October 14, 1902, with the fol-
lowing officers:

President Mrs. R. M. Winans,

First Vice-President Mrs. I. E. Hutton,

Second Vice-President Mrs. C. V. R. Berdan,

Secretary Mrs. A. P. Crouter,

Treasurer Mrs. F. K. Matthews.

The membership consists of 220 mothers and women of the Village.

Social Service Association

The Social Service Association, originally called the Relief Society
of Ridgewood, was formed as the result of the co-operation of Mrs.
H. H. Palmer, Mrs. S. D. Graydon and Mr. F. F. Knothe. Mrs. Palmer
had been active in relieving suffering in Midland Park and Wortendyke
and Mrs. Graydon had been caring for needy families in the Village.
While doing this work they conferred with Mr. Knothe, who asked
several men to join him in providing a nurse to investigate and relieve
conditions in Ridgewood. The result was that the Village Improve-
ment Association called a meeting of representatives of all churches
and organizations in Ridgewood and the Relief Society Avas formed on
February 24, 1909.

As the constitution states, the objects were:

1. To foster harmonious co-operation among the various religious and
benevolent organizations of Ridgewood and A^cinity and to avoid the
overlapping of relief work.

2. To investigate all applications for relief, to dispense adequate relief
for suitable cases and to procure work for needy persons.

3. To repress mendicancy.

4. To promote the general welfare of the poor by social and sanitary
reform and the inculcation of habits of providence and self-de-
pendence.

Every department of the society's work is completely severed from
all questions of religious belief, politics, and nationality.

152



PAST AND PRESENT



The first officers were:

I'rcsidoit .Mks. F. F. Knothe,

First ^'ice-President Mrs. De L. Berier,

Second Vice-President ]\Irs. R. Wortendyke,

Secretary Mrs. R. W. Hawes.

Treasurer Mrs. A. C. Brookes.

In 1912, the Avork of the society warranted the help of a trained
social worker for part time, and the Board of Education engaged the
same worker for part time as school nurse. Later each organization
secured a worker of its own.

On May 6, 1913, the Relief Society was incorporated under the
name of Social Service Association.

In May, 1916, there were 429 members.

Village Cliristmas Tree Association

The first Village Christmas Tree was held at the home of Mrs. A.
E. Tolkamp on East Ridgewood Avenue, Christmas, 1909, at which
time she and her daughter, Mrs. W. H. Haddon, having conceived the
idea, provided gifts for a few worthy children, about ten in number.
A like celebration was held the following year, the number of children
increasing to about twenty. In 1911 the number having grown too
great to be accommodated at their home, a number of ladies were inter-
ested and Prospect Hall was secured for the festivities.

The following year the entire matter was assumed by the Village
Christmas Tree Association of Ridgewood, which had been formed with
the following officers:

President ]\rRS. E. T. White,

Vice-President Mrs. D. A. Garber,

Secretary-Treasurer Mrs. E. 8. Brower.

The association now consists of about 35 members, embracing every
church and section of Ridgewood.

The recipients, now numbering about 200 children, are barred by
neither creed nor color. The work is carried on entirely through the
generosity of the Ridgewood people and the energy and tireless work
of the members of the association.

Upper Ridgewood Association

In 1910 when a number of newcomers settled in Upper Ridgewood,
they, together with a few old residents in the neighborhood, organized
Avhat is now the Upper Ridgewood Association to which every resident
of Upper Ridgewood and Wastena Park is eligible. The object of the
association was to improve that new residential section of Ridgewood.
Meetings were held with frequency Avhenever the Avants of the com-
munity demanded them and everyone contributed his efforts for the
general welfare.

The first officers of the association AA^ere:

President Louis Ciiable,

Vice-President Charles Fairchili),

Secretary -Treasurer John Kolmar.

153



RIDGEWOOD, BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY

Federated Men's Club

The Federated Men's Club of the churches of Ridgewood was or-
ganized September 27, 1910, by the following delegates: — Rev. C. P.
Pearson, C. S. Chapman, G. W. Martin, L. Wardell, A. E. Tolkamp,
W. J. Bowling, J. W. Boylston, W. C. Zabriskie, Dr. W. T. Whitney,
T. J. Foster, Rev. C. 0. Wright and G. A. Sehaible.

The following officers were elected:

President T.J. Foster,

Vice-President H.\dley Ford,

Secretary H. S. Vincent,

Treasurer L. F. Broach.

This organization has a long list of good deeds accomplished to
its credit, some of which include practical attempts to better the con-
dition of the colored population of our Village, and advocating the
use of school buildings for civic, social, and educational purposes after
school hours.

The organization has also been instrumental in establishing and
maintaining a camp for boys from the slums of New York where they
can have at least two weeks of life in the open. Mr. C. S. Chapman
labored faithfully and efficiently for three years as chairman of the
committee who had this camp in charge and Mr. W. U. Green has had
charge of it for two years and greatly enlarged the work which has
the support of all the people of Ridgewood.

This organization has ever been ready to lend a helping hand to
those in distress and has labored diligently to curtail the liquor traffic
evil, to foster the Big Brother movement, to complete a card index of
the religious standing of the people of our town — and, in fact, have
tried to do what they could to make our town a better place to live in.

The Ridgewood Chapter of the American National Red Cross

During 1898 the Village Improvement Association undertook to
conduct during the summer Red Cross work and provided many arti-
cles for the sick and wounded, but it was not until August 16, 1910,
that a Ridgewood Chapter of this national institution was organized
through the efforts of the Ridgewood Branch of the National Security
League.

The original officers were :

President Mr. J. H. Dunning,

Vice-President Mrs. C. H. Eddy,

Secretary Mrs. T. J. Foster,

Treasurer Mr. W. H. Hendrickson.

The officers, with the following, constituted the Executive Commit-
tee: — Mrs. J. L. Averill, Mrs. H. C. Christianson, Mrs. W. D. Ferres,
Mr. W. E. Remington, and Mr. G. N. Orcutt.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 19

Online LibraryCitizens semi-centennial association, RidgewoodRidgewood, Bergan County, New Jersey, past and present → online text (page 17 of 19)