Robert Ellis.

The registers of the parish of Llansannan 1667-1812 online

. (page 1 of 30)
Online LibraryRobert EllisThe registers of the parish of Llansannan 1667-1812 → online text (page 1 of 30)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook






3 1833 00668 3822


ParisB . .
Reflisters .

Registers .


Clansannan v.^^^

1667-0812. . .




The necessity of securing the permanency ofour ancient
Parochial Registers becomes increasingly important
every year. The fact that so much of the history of
families — and what is national history but the accumu-
lated history of families ? — is dependent almost entirely
on the existence of these Registers, makes it a matter
of urgent importance that steps should be taken in
every Parish to have these Registers accurately copied
and printed. It is gratifying to know that Societies
are being formed in many localities to secure this laud-
able object ; still, in most cases, the preservation of
the documents of individual parishes depends on local
effort. The Parish of Llansannan has been particu-
larly fortunate in this respect. This volume owes its
existence to the munificence of one of its inhabitants —
John Morris, Esq., Lletty'r Eos, High Sheriff of
Denbighshire for the current year. It was at his sug-
gestion and expense that the Registers were copied,
and he is responsible for the publicationof this volume.
It is hard to express adequately all that is due to such
enlightened and generous patriotism, which expends
treasure so lavishly on every scheme that tends in any
way to the success and wellbeing of his dearly loved
native parish. It has its appropriate reward in a sense
gf love earned and of good done.


A simple statement of facts will show the timeliness
of the present undertaking. The earliest record in the
custody of the Rector of this Parish extends only to
1727. Knowing that the chief interest attaching to
the Parish lies in its history at an earlier date than
this, I appealed to Henrv A. Cleaver, Esq., our
Diocesan Registrar, for permission to copy earlier
entries connected with the Parish which he might have
in his custody. Mr. Cleaver at once allowed me most
generously to copy all the Llansannan entries in his
charge, and very kindly placed a room at my disposal
for that purpose. I found that the earliest entries
referring to Llansannan were dated 1667, but unfor-
tunately the entries for several years are missing, and
others are so blurred by age, or damaged by wear and
tear, that it was impossible to obtain a complete tran-
script of the entries for the years 1667-1726. It was
compulsory in byegone years on the parochial clergy
to send annually copies of the yearly records of
Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials. These copies were
made on loose sheets, the sheets from the parishes in
each rural deanery being tied or otherwise fastened
together in annual bundles. When we bear in mind
the indifferent quality of the paper on which the entries
were copied, and the fact that sometimes eighteen or
twenty sheets were tied together in one bundle, it
requires no great stretch of imagination to realise the
precarious existence of the sheets and the consequent
risk of loss through accident or carelessness. The
paleness of the ink and the ignorance of the copyists
also added to the difficulty of transcription.

The following quotation from an interesting article
by the Ven. Archdeacon Thomas in the St. Asaph
Diocesan Calendar for 1904 throws much light on the


subject of Parochial Registers: — "It was in 1538
(30 Henry VIII.) that Thomas Cromwell procured the
enactment of a Law that Parochial Registers should
be kept of Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials ; but no
regulation was then laid down for a suitable form or
permanent material for the record. In 1597, however,
it was ordered that every parish should provide parch-
ment books, into which the entries should be transcribed
from the earlier paper books, and copies of these sent
yearly to the Bishop of the Diocese. In 1603 this
order was embodied in the 70th Canon.

"Although there are in this diocese several Regis-
ters that date back to the middle of the XVIth. century,
there is only one that is complete from their institution,
viz., that of the small hill parish of Gwaenysgor, near
Rhyl, which begins with the year 1538 and is continu-
ous to the present time. From a memorandum in that
Register we learn the interesting detail that Archbishop
Laud at his Metropolitical Visitation, held at St. Asaph,
17th May, 1636, ordained that 'the name of the
mother of every child, as well as that of the father,
should be written in the Register books of the
parishes.' In 1645 the Directory (for Public Worship)
ordered that Births as well as Baptisms should be
entered; and in 1653 the Commonwealth Parliament
enacted that the Registers should be placed in the
hands of (Lay) Registers, and that they should keep
the accounts from that date, and not the clergy, unless
either of them should happen to be elected to the office,
as was sometimes the case. The Lists of Registers
show that only a small proportion of the books were
restored in 1660; and an examination of those that
survived proves that where the period is not left blank,
as at Uanerfyl, the new ' Registers ' were for the most


part of a very illiterate type, and their tenure charac-
terized by the entry of the birth only and the omission
of the baptism.

"In 1667 (18 Charles II.) an .\ct was passed to
ensure ' burial in woollen,' and the next year another
requiring an affidavit to that effect to be entered. The
intention of the act was to foster and promote the
woollen industry, and the fine for disobedience was
five pounds.

"In 1694 (6 William 1 1 1) a tax was imposed for five
years on all marriages, births, and burials, and the col-
lectors were armed with free access to the Registers
for the purpose of assessing the impost, but it was not
renewed in 1 700.

" To the end of the first quarter of the i8th century
the entries were almost invariably made in Latin, with
the exception, of course, of the Commonwealth period ;
but about the year 1733 we find it was superseded by

" Down to 1753 all the entries were made in the
same book in chronological order ; but in that year
' Hardwicke's Act ' prescribed the form of marriage
entries and the record of the publication of the banns,
and thenceforward marriages were registered in asepa-
rate and special book.

"In 1783 a duty of threepence was imposed on
every entry in the Registers ; but it was repealed the
following year. ^

" In 181 2 'Rose's Act ordered the entries for Bap-
tism and Burials to be made in the form still in use,
and in separate books.

This explains the insertion of the word "paid" in the entries for the 1
quarter of that year in the following Registers. — R. E.

"It only remains to add that in 1836 an Act was
passed for the civil registration of Births, Marriages,
and Deaths, and for an alteration in the form of Mar-
riage entries ; and an amusing illustration of the per-
plexity felt in filling in the column for the condition
[Bachelor or Spinster] of the married couple occurs in
the Register of Whittington, where the puzzled curate
entered, ' The man fat, the woman rather lean !' "

With reference to the above interesting quotation, it
may be observed that the term " By Banns " first
occurs in the following registers in 1743 — ten years
before the passing of " Hardwicke's x'\ct." The names
of both parents in baptismal entries began to be gene-
rally entered in this parish in 1749 — 113 years after
Laud's Visitation. With regard to the registration of
the baptism of illegitimate children, the custom at first
was to enter the father's name only, afterwards those
of both parents, and afterwards the present practice of
entering only the mother's name was adopted Up to
1752 the civil year began on the 25th of March ; after
that date on the ist of January.

Historically, the chief interest connected with the
Parish of Llansannan seems to lie in the sixteenth
century, and it is noteworthy that this interest is chiefly
literary. Whatever distinction may have been won by
Llansannanites in other fields is now forgotten or un-
known, but no lover of Welsh literature can ever forget
the names of Tudur Aled, Gruffydd Hiraethog,
and William Salesbury. It would be difficult to find
so eminent a trio of contemporaries in any other
parish or century. Of the three, Salesbury undoubt-
edly stands first on the score not only of social posi-
tion but also of the extent and priceless value of his


literary attainments. As in the history of the Israel-
ites, God chose the sacrifice of the /i!Z_y-prophet Elijah
on Carmel as the token of His supremacy over the
false gods whose corrupt religion alienated the hearts
of His people from Him for a time, so in our own
native land, God was pleased to bless the labours of
the /fly-Churchman William Salesbury to overthrow
the errors of Rome and to teach our forefathers the
better way. The record of his literary work, as given
in Archdeacon Thomas's learned book on " The Life
and work of Bishop Davies and William Salesbury,"
proves not only the extent of Salesbury 's attainments,
but also his untiring energy and diligence. It will
suffice here to enumerate his most important writings ;
" Oil Synnwyr Pen Kembero ;" the Prymer, Welsh
and English Dictionary, Llith a Ban, New Testament,
and the Welsh Prayer Book, besides "The baterie of
the Pope's Botereulx, commonly called the highe
Altare. Compiled by W. S. in the yere of our Lorde,
1550" — a defence of the reformed faith — for he had
been brought up in the Roman faith, which he forsook
during his residence at Oxford. In 1550 he published
" A briefe and a playne introduction teaching how to
pronounce the letters in the British tong [nowcom'enly
called Walsh] whereby an Englishman shal not only v^*"
ease read the said tong rightly : but markyng ye same
wel, it shall be a meane for him with one labour and dili-
gence to attaine to the true and natural pronunciation
of other expediente and most excellente languages."
When the late A. J. Ellis, President of the London
Philological Society in the sixties, was working up the
subject of English phonetics, he relied largely on this
" Introduction " of Salesbury 's to fix the pronunciation
of the English language in the sixteenth century.


Very few traces of William Salesbury's family can
be found in our Parish Registers, probably because
our records do not extend far enough. Is it possible
that his elder brother, Robert, was a Sinecure Rector
of Llansannan (1537), Vicar of Corwen, and Sinecure
Rector of Llanrwst ? A Robert Salusbury lived at
Plas Madoc, in Llanfairtalhaiarn Parish, but oh the
confines of Llansannan, and a Peter Salesbury, one
of the signatories of William Salesbury's bond for
^100, lived at Penclogor contemporaneously with W.
Salesbury ; but what, if any, relationship existed be-
tween them and the Squire of Caedu is not clear.
Salesbury's daughter Gwen married Hugh ap David
ap John, a yeoman living at Deunant. The Sales-
buries also intermarried with the Dyffryn Aled family.
As far as the latest entries refering to the name Salus-
bury in our registers show, those bearing the name
occupied a humble or a comparatively humble social
position. The name is not found in the parish now,
but still prevails in the adjoining parish of Llannefydd.
Still the name of Salesbury is inseparably associated
with Llansannan, and can never cease to be venerated
by all who cherish the historical traditions of the
parish. In the Memorial erected in the Cathedral
yard of St. Asaph to those who were directly or indi-
rectly concerned in the translation of the Welsh Bible,
William Salesbury's name holds an honoured place.
His name is also commemorated, in company with four
other illustrious Llansannan men — Tudur Aled, Henry
Rees, Gwilym Hiraethog, and lorwerth Clan Aled —
on the Memorial erected in the village of Llansannan
a few years ago.

Reference has been made to the disappearance of
the name of Salesbury from the Parish. In this


respect it is by no means exceptional, as the following
list of names found in the registers, and no longer in
use in the pirish, will clearly show ; — Burchinshaw
(variously spelt, e.g^., Byrchinsha, Byrchins, Burchins,
Byrchinshaw, Birchinshaw, Burchinshaw, Birchenshaw,
and Burchenshaw), Joyson, Murreh ( ? Murray), Maes-
mor, Trevallin or Trevalyn, Conway, Dryhurst or
Dryers, Pasenage, Posnet, Bedward [ab Edward],
Haddocks, Patrick, Probert [ap Robert], Matthew,
Prothcroe or Prydderch [ap Rhydderch], Carlisle
[otherwise spelt Carlyle — by a strange coincidence,
the first of that name was called Thomas], Bromley,
Bengan [ab hngan], Kenrick or Kynthrig, Hues
[Hughes], Julius Caesar ( ! ), Rhydderch, Manuel,
Nicholas, Hookes, Bartley or Bartle, or Batley, Git-
tens [Gutto or Griffith], Cumson [Cumpston], Milling-
ton, &c. The reader will observe the great and
apparendy arbitrary variations in spelling the name
Burchinshaw. Some of them may have been due to
affectation or a too literal copying of local pronuncia-
tion, which would naturally attempt to cut a long name
short. It is said that some of the Burchinshaw money
is now in Chancery, and that a certain claimant to it
was non-suited because he happened not to spell the
name in the only way known to the officials !

With regard to place names, the registers bear
evidence to the fact that many names of farms or
houses have been lost or merged in others. A casual
survey of the parish proves that many an ancient home
is now only a heap of ruins. This applies not only to
cottages, but to more pretentious buildings, like the
ruins now standing on the land of Penybank, and which
are reputed locally to be the site of an old religious
house, but which Archdeacon Thomas surmises may

FORE-WORD. xill.

have been the ancestral home of the SalesbuVies. The
following list contains names no longer known in the
parish : — Llwyn-y-gibwst [the site of the present
National Schools], Hafod-y-mai, Bodliw, Werddon,
Werddon bach, Llys y Brenin, Gogun slow [otherwise
Cocun-shaw and Cockunshaw], Gegyn Ucha, Tan-y-
dderwen, &c. One adventurous scribe, apparently a
Cardiganshire man, has changed the familiar Gerdden
into Gogerddan. The name Coedoros seems to have
afforded considerable scope for the lively imaginations
of those responsible for the entries in different years,
as it figures as Coedoros, Coedorros, Coedyros, Coed-
yrros, and Coedoerus. Possibly the form Coedyros or
Coedyrros approximates most nearly to the original
form — Coed-y-rhos — corresponding to the natural
features of the locality where it is situated. The
name of the township Rhydeidion is first found
correctly spelt in an entry dated April i6, 1762. The
ordinary spelling — Rhydidion — shows that the word
was pronounced in olden times as it is now by the

The large number of Baptismal and Burial entries
occurring in the earlier years of these Registers sug-
gests very plainly that the population of the parish at
that time must have been consi<ierably larger than it
is at present. The earliest figures to which I have
access refer to the year 1801, when the population
numbered 1 143, made up of 557 males and 586 females.
In 181 1, there were 582 males and 639 females, total
1 22 1 ; in 1 82 1, 636 males and 675 females, total 131 1 ;
and in 1831 the total was 1372.

In an interesting note written on the cover of the
Register of Baptisms, 181 3 — 1887, by the Rev. W.
Jones, Curate in charge of the Parish, it is stated under


date May 28th, 1821 : "There have been 16 Males,
15 I'emales Baptized in the Chapel the last 10 years."

Apart from the decrease affecting all agricultural
parishes owing to depression, the decrease in this
parish is largely due to the fact that the old copper
and lead mines have ceased working. In 1841 a large
number of miners were employed here. It is said that
from fifty to sixty men were employed in the D\ ffryn
Aled Mine, in addition to those employed in the mines at
Nant-y-plwm, Forest, Foel, and other places in the
parish, whereas in 185 1 three-fourths of the men had
been dismissed. This cause alone would well account
for the great decrease of population.

As a matter possibly of more than local interest, I
may quote another unauthorized entry: — "April ist,
1847 ; Deep Snow at I lansannan. The Snow Storm
commenced between 3 and 4 o'clock a.m. and has
continued without intermission until this moment, i.e.
II o'clock a.m. P. Williams, Vicar of Llansannan."

It only remains for me to add that I have not
attempted to correct any mistakes found in the entries,
but have faithfully copied the exact form of each entry
just as it occurs in the books. It might have seemed
desirable to maintain a uniformly correct spelling
throughout, but that would have destroyed the value of
this volume as an exact transcript of the parochial
records as they actually exist in the registers.


Llansannan Rectory,
March \st, 1904.


Clansannan Partsi) Registers.


. . . et nom posito primo die Mali anno Dm. 1666.

Thomas Wynne filius Roberti Wynne baptizat. fuit 21 die

Mai 1666.
ffoulk ap David sepultus fuit ii die Junii anno ut supra.
David filius Thomas ap Tho. baptizat. fuit /mo die Julii anno

ut supra.
Katharina filia Johannis flfoulkes baptizata fuit 5 die Julii anno

ut supra.
Oenus ap Richard sepultus sepultus fuit 22 die Julii 1666.
Oenus filius Hugonis Wynn baptizat. fuit 510 die Augusti 1666.
Dobwas Alius Ribri ap Robert baptizat. fuit 19 die Aug. 1666.
Elizabetha uch Evan sepulta fuit 29 die Aug. anno ut supra.
Jonatta filia Gulielmi John Tudor sepulta fuit 2 die Septem.

anno ut supra.
Magdalena filia Gulielmi Lewis baptizat. fuit 8 die Septembris

anno ut supra.
Robertus filius Edvardi ap Rhydgwerg baptizat. fuit 7 die /bris

idem sepultus.
Hugh filius Evan ap Edward baptizat. fuit J die Octob. 1666.
Hana filia Gulielmi ap Robert baptizat. fuit 17 die Octob. 1666.
Katharina filia Henrici ap Richard baptizat. fuit 4 die Nov.

David filius Roberti ap John Thomas baptizat. fuit 10 die

Nov. 1666.
Robertus filius Johannis ffoulkes baptizatus fuit 15 die Novem.

Robertus filius Henrici, Honos. baptizat. fuit 2 die anno ut

Guliel : filius Evan Lloyd baptizat. fuit 9 die Decem. anno ut

Gwena Williams uxor Johannis Anwyl Gen: Sepulta fuit 9 die

Jan. 1666.
Johannes ap John Ffoulks sepultus fuit 10 die Jan. anno ut

Ffoulk Lloyd filius Roberti Lloyd baptizat. fuit 12 die Jan.

Robertus ap John Ffoulk sepultus fuit 27mo die Jan. 1666.
Maria filia Tho. Owen baptizat. fuit 30 die Jan. 1666,


Lowria filia Hugonis Lloyd baptizata fuit 23 die ffeb. 1666.
Thomas ap Williams et Johannes Jones sepuiti fuerunt 24 die

ffeb. 1666 .
Gwen filia Guliel. Cleric, baptisata fuit 26 die ffeb. 1666.
Anna Lloyd sepulta fuit 2do die Martii i665.
Elizabetha filia Herberti Lloyd baptizat. fuit eodem die 1666.
Lucia Davis uxor Henrici Wynn sepulta fuit 7 die Martii

Foulke filius Johannis Thorn: baptizatus fuit 8 die Martii 1666.
Hana filia Guliel: Tho: baptizat. fuit 7 die Martii 1666.
Maria ach Richard sepulta fuit 19 die Martii. 1666.
Johannes Anwyl, Senior, sepultus fuit 20 die Martii 1666.

Signum Robert X Lloyd. \
Signum Williami <Q>J

Anno 1667. Llansannan.

Margaretta filia Evani John bapt. fuit 26 die Martii 1667.
Johannes Edwards sepultus fuit ultimo die Martii 1667.
Margareta filia Robti. ap Edward baptizata fuit 30 die

Martii : 6"].
Katharina ach Richard sepulta fuit prime die Aprilis : 1667.
Lowria ach Voris sepulta fuit 6to die April Anno ut supra.
Henricus ap John ap Meredyth sepultus 23 die Aprilis 1667.
Evanus filius Johannis ap Robt. sepultus fuit quarto die

Maii : 67.
Fouke filius Johannis ap Robt. baptizatus fuit 16 die Maii 1667.
Jana vid. Richard sepulta fuit 18 die Maii — Anno ut supra.
Jana filia David Lloyd de Forest baptizata fuit vicessimo

octavo die Maii — 1667
Katherina filia Humphredi Williams et Jana Gruffyth sepulta

fuit 29 die Maii — 1667.
Evanus filius Johannis Thomas baptizatus fuit 7imo die

Junii 6-j.
Henricus filius Evani ap Harry baptizatus fuit 17 die Junii 1667.
Edvard. Lloyd sepult. fuit 22 Julii 6^.

Anna filia Johannis Morgan sepulta fuit 21 Julii anno ut supra.
Evanus ap John ap Robert sepult. fuit 22 die Julii 1667.
Jana ach Evan sepulta fuit 4to die Augusti anno ut supra.
Robertus filius David ap Hugh baptisat. fuit 7mo die

August! 67.
David filius Johannis ap Richard baptisat. fuit 12 die

Augusti 67.
Gwena filia Hugonis Parry baptisat. fuit 15 die Augusti 1667.
Gulielmus ap John Tydu sepult. fuit qiiinto die Septembris

— 1667.


Rolandus filius Roberti Williams baptisatus fuit quinto die

7bris 1667. "*

Thomasus filius Henrici Perry baptisat. fuit octavo die 7bris

Katherina filia Thorn: David sepulta fuit gno die 7bris 67.
Anna uxor Thomas sepulta fuit 19 die Septembris 1667.
Jana filia Evani ap Hugh sepulta fuit 24 die Octobris 1667.
Ffoulk ap Robt. et Anna John matrimonialiter copulati sunt

2 die ybris 1667.
Jana uxor Roberti Jones sepulta fuit tertio die gbcis anno ut

Thomas filius Leonard! Burchinsha baptisat. fuit nono die

9bris 1667.
Johannes filius Robti Owen baptizat. fuit 18 die Novembris

Dows ach Hugh sepulta fuit 22 die Novembris anno ut

Elena filia Gulielm. Thomas baptizata fuit 23 die gbris 1667.
Peers ffowk sepult. fuit 26 die gbris 1667.
Elena Gabriel baptizata fuit primo die Novembris 6^.
Johannes Peers David sepult. fuit sexto diegbris 1667.
Johannes filius Johannis ap John David baptisat. fuit 7imo die

Decembris 1667.
Elena filia ffowk ap John Prees baptisat. fuit 21 die Decembris

Anna Jones sepulta fuit 25 die lobris 1667.
Alicia ach Rees ap Moris sepulta fuit 29 die lobris 1667.
Elena filia Gulielmi ap Richard baptizat. fuit 12 die Januarii

Magdalena filia Robti Wynn baptizata fuit decima tertio die

Januarii 1667.
Margareta Wynn sepulta fuit 15 die Januarii 1667.
Gulielmus Gruffyth sepult. fuit 23 die Januarii 6^.
Johannes ap Robert sepult. fuit 30 die Januarii 1667.
Mauricius Prees sepultus fuit primo die Februarii 1667.
Jana ux. Richard sepulta fuit 4to die Februarii 1667.
Evanus ap Edward sepult. fuit 6to die Feb. 1667.
Jana filia Johannis ffowks baptizata fuit nono die Feb. 1667.
David ap Morus sepultus fuit 12 die Februarii 1667.
Katharina filia Johannis Burchinsha. sepulta fuit 20 die

Februarii 1667.
Elizabetha ffowk sepulta fuit 21 Feb. 1^67.
David filius Thomas Vychan baptiz. fuit 24 die Feb. 1667.
Idem David Vychan sepult. 4 die Martii.
Katharina David sepulta fuit 27 die Februarii 1667.
David filius Robert ap John Thomas sepult. fuit 3 die

Martii 1667.
Maria filia Gulielmi ap Robert baptizata fuit septimo die

Martii 1667.


Elizabetha filia Edmundi Anwyl baptizata fuit nono die

Martii 1667.
Rlchardus filius Gulielimi Lewis baptizat. fuit 23 die Martii



Evanus filius Thom: ap Robert sepult. secundo die Aprilis 1668.
Thomas filius Johannis Thomas ap Evan baptizat. fuit 11 die

Aprilis 68.
Hugo ap Richard sepult. fuit 17 die Aprilis 1668.

Rogerus Hampton — Vicar de Llansannan.

Evanus filius Thomae ap Robt. sepultus fuit 2 die Aprilis 1668.
Thomas filius Johannis Thomas baptizatus fuit 11 die Aprilis

Hugo ap Richard sepultus fuit 17 die Aprilis : 68.
Petrus Lloyd sepultus fuit 19 die Aprilis: 68,
David Johns sepultus fuit 21 die Aprilis: 68.
Gulielmus Lloyd de Penporcll (Penporchell), geneross sepultus

fuit 21 die Apr: 1668.
David filius Johannis Edwards baptizatus fuit 24 die April: 1668.
Johannes filius Henrici ap John sepultus fuit 30 die April: 68.
Elizabetha filia Johannis Ffoulks sepulta fuit 30 die Martii 1668.
Maria filia Robti. ap Robert baptizata fuit 4 die Maii 1668.
Robertus filius Henrici ap Pith : (?) baptizatus fuit 6 die Maii

Johannes filius Hugonis Wynn baptizatus fuit 2 die Maii 1668.
Thomas filius Edvardi Burchinsha sepultus fuit 18 die Maii

Lucia filia Johannis ap Evan baptizata fuit 23 die Junii 1668.
Maria Vychan sepult : fuit 7 die Junii 1668.
Jana filia David Thomas baptizata fuit 11 die Junii 1668.

Online LibraryRobert EllisThe registers of the parish of Llansannan 1667-1812 → online text (page 1 of 30)