Robert Philip.

The life and opinions of the Rev. William Milne, D. D., missionary to China online

. (page 57 of 164)
Online LibraryRobert PhilipThe life and opinions of the Rev. William Milne, D. D., missionary to China → online text (page 57 of 164)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


pine sheathing, one of the finest houses of
worship of its kind in the province. The
old church whose place it took was one of
the earliest built in this part of New Brun-
swick, Sussex having been settled by U. £.
loyalists. It is situated about half a mile
from the village, and, like the residence of
the rector a few rods from it, has beautiful
rural surroundings, and is a most inviting
place for man to worship God. Bev. Mr.
Medley was appointed canon to the cathe-
dral at Fredencton in 1869; and rural dean
in July, 1880. He is an excellent scholar,
a polished writer, a sound theologian, and
his a pleasant delivery in the pulpit. Canon
Medley was married on the 2l8t April, 1864,
to Charlotte, daughter of Bobert Bird, of
Birdtown, York county. New Brunswick.

IHacdonaldy Charles De Wolf, R.A.,
Barrister, Pictou, Nova Scotia, was bom
on the 28rd October, 1854, at Pictou, N.S.
His father was the late Alexander Cameron
Macdonald, Q.C., barrister, who, during his
lifetime, represented the county of Pictou in
the Nova Scotia legislature for eight years,
and occupied the position of speaker in
the House of Assembly, previous to the con-
federation oi the provinces. His mother,
who still survives, Sarah Amelia DeWolf,
is a descendant of a well-known loyalist
family, of German noble origin. Charles
received his primary education at Pictou
Academy; matriculated in 1869 at Dalhou-
sie College, Halifax, when fifteen years of
age, taking the first provincial scholarship,
and, making the highest aggregate each
year; graduated in 1878. He took first
prizes throughout his course for Latin,
Greek, French and German. Since leav-
ing odlege he has made a special study of
modem languages, and is now widely
known as a linguist He adopted law as a
profession, and was admitted to the bar of



Nova Scotia in 1876, when only twenty-<me
years of age. For the past twelve years he
has practised in Pictou, and is now one of
the leading barristers in the county. Mr.
Macdonald has always taken a deep interest
in military affairs, and is a lieutenant in the
78th Highlanders, Colchester, Hants and
Pictou volunteers. He is a Liberal in
politics, and is an active politician. From
1882 to 1885, in addition to his usual law
practice, he edited the Pictou News^ which
was the first paper to advocate the repeal of
the federal compact, and ranks among the
beet ccmducted weeklies in the Maritime
provinces. He is a member of the Presby-
terian church.

Bethane, JTohn liemael, M D.C.M.,
M.P.P. for the county of Victoria, Baddeck,
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, was bom at Loch
Lomond, Bichmond county, N.S., in 1850.
His parents were Boderick Bethune, post-
master, and Mary Bethune, who came from
the Highlands of Scotland to Cape Breton
about fifty years ago. The Bev. Thomas
McLauchiin,*F.S.A.S., in his " Celtic Glean-
ings," says that the descendants of the
Beatons, or Bethunes, or as they. styled
themselves, McVeaghs ( McBeths ), in a
family tree contained in an old manuscript
of theirs still in existence, trace themselves
up to Nial of the Nine Hostages, King of
Lreland. One Ferchar Bethune came into
prominence by being the means of curing
King Bobert 11. of Scotland of a painful
and dangerous disease, and there is among
the Scottish registers of charters a copy of a
charter from that king conveying to Beth-
une, as an expression of his gratitude, pos-
session of all the islands on the west coast of
Scotland from the Point Store in Assynt to
that of Armidale in Farr. How long Ferohar's
descendants were physicians is not known,
but they can be traced back as such by
means of existing documents for three hun-
dred and fifty years from the middle of last
century. However, the great progenitor of
the race would seem to be a certain Fergus
the Fair, probably the Fergus Bethune who
lived in the year 1408, and was then phy-
sician to McDonald of the Isles of Islay.
There are several MSS. belonging to this
family in existence. One is a small quarto
in vellum, now in possession of David Laing,
of the Edinburgh Signet Library. It was
written by John Beaton, who flourished in
1530. It is full of comments on the writ-
ings of Constantius and other medical



Digitized by



Google



286



A CYCLOPEDIA OF



continenbal writers of that period. It also
contains a long treatise on astrology, and
another on the phenomena of color as an
indication of hecdth or disease. This and
other writings of theirs indicate an amount
of cultivation in the G^a^c to qualify it for
being the language of science from which
it has sadly declined. Dr. Bethune, the
subject of our sketch, was educated at the
Normal School in Truro, and in Dalhousie
University, where he took the degree of
M.D.C.M. in 1875, and then began the
practice of his profession. In 1881 he was
appointed paymaster, with the honorary
rank of captain, in the 94th battalion Ar-
gyll Highlanders, and the same year was
made census commissioner. He is a jus-
tice of the peace, coroner, commissioner of
schools, and is a commissioner for taking
affidavits, etc., in the Supreme and County
courts of Victoria county. He takes an in-
terest in all movements for the good of his
fellow men. He is a past master of St.
Mark's lodge of the Masonic brotherhood;
and is also a member of the Grand Division
of the Sons of Temperance of Nova Scotia.
He occupied a seat in the municipal council
from 1879 till 1886, when he resigned; and
for three years from June, 1880, he'was
warden of the county. The doctor was for
three years secretary of the Liberal-Conser-
vative Association of Victoria county; and
at the general election held in 1886 he was
selected to represent his adopted county, as
an Independent, in the House of Assembly
of Nova Scotia. His reUgious views are in
accordance with the teachings of the Pres-
byterian Church of Canada. He was mar-
ried January 20th, 1885, to Mary C, only
daughter of the late Robert A. Jones, regis-
trar of deeds for Victoria county, who was a
descendant of a Jones, a loyalist, who came
to Cape Breton at the time of the American
rebeUion, and to whom was granted large
tracts of land at Big Baddeck, Washabuck
and other places in Cape Breton.

Halt, Samuel Staunton, Quebec,
Oentleman Usher of the Black Bod, Legis-
lative Council, province of Quebec, was
bom at Chambly, Quebec province, on the
18th February, 1844. He is the eldest son
of the late Augustus Hatt, and of Charlotte
Emelie de Salaberry, of Chambly. He is
also a grandson of Colonel de Salaberry,
the hero of Chateauguay, and of the Hon.
Samuel Hatt, of Chambly. Mr. Hatt receiv-
ed his education at the High School of St.



Johns, and at St Hyachinthe College. He
received his dvil service certificate when
only about sixteen years of age, and in 1861
entered the Militia department. He served
on the frontier at St. Albans during the time
of the Fenian raids, with the rank of cap •
tain and adjutant; and also commanded a
detachment, at Huntingdon, of the drd Ad-
ministration battalion, under command of
Lieut. -Colonel Taylor. While Captain Hatt
was stationed at Laprairie, he and the men
under him rendered greati service in subdu-
ing a fire which endangered the whole town,
and were afterwards publicly thanked by the
municipal council for the important servioe
r^idered on the occasion. Mr. Hatt was
appointed under Royal commission Qwitle-
man Usher of the Black Bod for the Pro-
vince of Quebec, on the 23rd December,
1867, and still holds this office. He was
married in 1883, to Mrs. N. F. Hoole, of
Philadelphia, United States.

MeMaster, Hon. William.— Senator
McMaster, who died in Toronto, on the
morning of Friday, 23rd September, 1887,
was a good representative of that class on
whom we bestow the title of merchant
princes. Be was bom in 1811, in the
county of Tyrone, Ireland, and his father
was the late William McMaster, a linen
merchant, who did business for many years
in the county where the subject of our
sketch was bom. His son's early education
was a very careful one, he having attended
a private school, the beet in the parish, pre-
sided over by Mr. Halcro, one of the most
eminent teachers in the north of Ireland.
In 1833, Mr. Mc blaster left Ireland, and on
the 9th of August of the same year he came
to Toronto. Since then the town of seven
thousand people, with only two brick houses
in it, has become the flourishing metropolis,
with a population of over one hundred thou-
sand, and the social and conunercial centre
of the leading province of a great dominion.
In that time the young inmiigrant, with his ,
capital of only brains, energy, and good
habits, had become one of Canada's most
noted citizens, an object of emulation to all
young men, and of gratitude to the many
who have been benefited by his practical
kindness. Landing in New York at the age
of twenty -two, he was advised to proceed to
Canada to enter into business with a son ot
the British consul, who had established him-
self in a trading business west of Toronto.
Proceeding by the old-time flying express



Digitized by



Google



CANADIAN BIOGRAPHY.



287



route along the oanal, the young fortune-
seeker found himself in Oswego, whence a
trip across the lake in a steamer brought
him to Toronto. Life in Canada West at
that time was not altogether attractive to a
young man conscious of his ability to fill a
large sphere, and it did not take young
Mc Master long to decide that in Toronto, if
anywhere in the province, he must look for
success. He entered the service of Mr.
Gathcart, who at that time kept a dry-goods
establishment on King street, opposite the
old Court-house, now York Chambers. Be-
fore two years had passed his assistant had
grown so valuable to him, that Mr. Cath-
cart could not afford to run any risk of los-
ing him, so offered him a partnership. This
was accepted, and for ten years the firm
went on prospering weU. At the end of
that time the senior partner retired, leaving
the whole business in Mr. Mc Master's
hands. The concern up-to this time had been
doing a wholesale and retail business, but
shortly after assuming control, Mr.McMaster
resolved to confine his attention solely to
wholesale. New premises were opened on
Yonge street, below King, and here the suc-
cess which had attended &e young merchant
continued and increased. Subsequently a
handsome building was erected, adjoining
the Montreal Bank, on Yonge street But
other business connections which he had
formed demanded his whole attention, and
in 1865 he sold out his interest to his two
nephews, who had been associated with him.
These continued the business until the death
of A. R McMaster and the retirement of
W. F. McMaster, when the firm was re-or-
^inised with the accession to its ranks of
H. W. Darling, under the title of McMas-
ter, Darling & Co. This was about eigh-
teen months ago. The present firm occupy
handsome warerooms on Front street near
Yonge. The causes which contributed to
the great success which Mr. McMaster met
with in this business are those which char-
acterize the career of almost every success-
ful business man. Even during those times
when there was the greatest temptation to
'* display '' and to bid for a large business,
Mr. McMaster steadily refused to allow his
business to grow beyond the basis of his
own capital. His caution in this respect
enabled him to tide over the hard times of
1867 and other bad years, and even during
the depth of the hard times to do a profit-
able trade. Rivals overtaken by the finan-



cial storm, with all canvas spread, were
wrecked. Yet while pursuing this cautious
policy he showed, by the way in which
he enlarged his establishment, that there
was nothing niggardly about his man-
agement. Whenever he deemed the circum-
stances favorable for the use of his capital
he used it freely, and thus added yearly to
the magnitude of his returns. He left
commercial life in order that he might make
the greater success of the financial opera-
tions in which he had become interested.
He had been for some time director of the
Montreal Bank and of the Ontario Bank^
and now he purposed throwing himself, with
all his customary energy, into the organi-
zation of a new concern. The charter was
procured and the company organized on a
sound basis, and Mr. McMaster was chosen
the first president of the new Bank of Com-
merce, which was the title chosen. That
was about twenty years ago, and the posi-
tion of honor and trust which he then
achieved he retained until about a year ago,
when advancing years compelled him to re-
linquish the presidency and simply to give
to die bank as a director the benefit of his
immense business experience. He was suc-
ceeded in the presidency by Henry W. Dar-
ling above mentioned. During all the time
of Mr. McMaster^s Canadian hfe, Toronto
has been making, year by year, a strange
history-record. Four years after Mr. McMas-
ter's arrival came the rebellion under WiUiam
Lyon Mackenzie, which, with the tremendous
agitatioa leading u > to and following it,
naturally interfered very much with the
operations of peace-loving merchants. Im-
mense political changes took place, chang-
ing the province from a mere crown colony,
with practically no such thing as poUtical
freedom, to a self-governing country with
representative institutions, and manhood
suffrage in the near distance. The city
itself had to expand north, east, west,
and even south, for the Esplanade works
redeemed in all a great tract of land from
the bay, and made sites for some of the
largest buildings in the city to-day. Rail-
way communication, then unknown, had
to be made to aU parts of the province,
and the city had to bear its share of
the expense of the facilities thus afforded.
Though never afraid to express his opinions
in favor of a liberal policy, Mr. McMaster
kept out of active pohtical life long after
his friends would have had him a repre-



Digitized by



Google



288



A CYCLOPEDIA OF



sentatiye of the people, had he agreed to put
himself up for election. At length, how-
ever, t^e crisis came which brought him out.
North York and South Simooe were at that
time united for the purpose of elections to
the Legislatiye Ck>uncil of the province.
'Diere was a vacancy in the constituency,
and John D. Gamble became the Conserva-
tive candidate. He was a strong man, and
although it was known that York woxdd give
a majority against him, it was fully beUeved
that unless he was opposed by the very
strongest man who could be put up against
him, Tory South Simcoe would far more than
neutralise this vote. In their dilemma the
Liberals applied to Mr. McMaster to act as
their standard-bearer. At first he strenu-
ously opposed the idea, but seeing that it
was to the interest of what he believed to be
true that he should accede to their wishes,
he finally did so. Though he prosecuted
his canvass with his characteristic energy,
the Liberal candidate set an example of
moderation and forbearance in conducting
the campaign utterly unknown in those
days, and (more's the pity) very little
practised since. Though not pretending to
any talent of oratory, Mr. McVf aster con-
ducted himself while on the platform with
such transparent honesty that even the Tory
stronghold was captured, and beside a ma-
jority of 1,100 in York, he came out with a
majority of about 300 in Simcoe, giving him
such a sweeping victory that even his friends
were astonished and his opponents con-
founded. The elections for the Council then
took place once every eight years, and Mr.
McMaster would doubtless have stood for
re-election, but that in the meantime con-
federation took place, and under the new
order of things he was called upon to take
his seat in the Senate. During the whole
of his political life he gave close attention
to the duties devolving upon him. He
never sought to move the house by elo-
quence, but in committee, where measures
are really elaborated, and where most of the
work, except the talking, is done, he was
found keenly alive to all that passed, and
ever exerting an influence in favor of liberal
and progressive measures. But however
great his commercial success, Mr. Mc Mas-
ter's name will be bcBl remembered on ac-
count of the many generous acts which have
been associated with it. For many years
he has been the pillar and mainstay of the
Baptist denomination in Toronto. His own



congregation — that now worshipping in the
beautiful building on the comer of Janris
and Garrard streets — owes much to his vigor-
ous initiative and substantial pecuniary aid.
Mr. McMaster and his present wife, contri-
buted $50,000 toward the fund for building
the church, and in addition to this, Mrs.
McMaster paid for the organ, one of the
finest instrumente in the country ; and about
four years ago the worthy Senator surpris-
ed his co-trustees, at a meeting called for
the purpose of considering the best means
of providing for the church debt, by pulling
out of his pocket a deed, showing that a
few hours before the meeting he had dis-
charged all the debt The Baptist book-
room and The Canadian Baptist were pur-
chased mainly with his money, and put in
such a form that the enterprises now prac-
tically belong to the denomination. To his
munificence is due the successful condition
of the Superannuated Ministers* Society of
the Baptist Church. Upper Canada Bible
Society, a non-secterian institution, owes
much to him. To add to all these instances
there could be brought forward a long list
of public and private benefactions, but the
whole of them are overshadowed by the
magnificent gift which he has presented to
his fellow- christians in the Baptist CoUege,
now one of the chief ornaments of Toronto.
During the last years of his life Mr. Mc-
Master devoted much attention te the de-
velopment of his plans for the advancement
of education. When he founded Toronto
Baptist College, at a cost of $100,000 paid
te the Toronto University authorities for
the ground, and $90,000 for furnishing the
building, he only thought of putting up a
structure at his own expense, and endowing
the presidency, looking te the d^omina-
tion tr> provide the means, through annual
collections, for the support of two other
chairs. But with the development of the
college and ite increasing prosperity from
year to year, he saw the necessity of add-
mg two more professors to the staff, and
subsequently two additional professors, mak-
ing a staff of six besides the president. See-
ing that the denomination was sufficiently
burdened with ite large home and foreign
work, he relieved it of all responsibility for
the support of the entire staff, whose ag-
gregate salaries amount to $14,500 annu-
ally; and by his will it is provided that
McMaster University will ultimately receive,
subject to the payment to the Home Mis-



Digitized by



Google



CANADIAN BIOGRAPHY,



289



sionary Society of $2,000, about $800,000,
in addition to what the testator gave for
the same object during his lifetime. At
the beginning of the discussion of the uni-
versity confederation question, on the re-
commendation of some of the educational
leaders in the Baptist denomination, Mr.
McMaster proposed to found an arts col-
lege in Toronto, in affiliation with Toronto
XJniyersity, on condition that the denomi-
nation would raise the amount of $38,000
for the more thorough endowment and
equipment of Woodstock college, which was
to continue as a preparatory school. Of
this sum he himself proposed to contri-
bute $32,000. After considerable effort
had been made to secure the sum proposed,
it was found that the denomination was
not in hearty sympathy with the scheme, for
very little of the necessary amount was ever
subscribed. However, in the spring of
1886, at a time when, to all appearances, the
confederation scheme had failed through
the refusal of several of the more promi-
nent colleges of Ontario to. enter confede-
ration, it was proposed to Mr. McMaster
that he should transfer to Woodstock col-
lege the amount which he had intended for
the establishment of an arte college in
Toronto. After mature consideration he
cheerfully acceded to the proposal, believ-
ing that the preservation and enlargement
of Woodstock college, with its traditions
and associations, were of more miportance to
the welfare of his people than the establish-
ment of the arts college in Toronto. With-
in a few weeks of the announcement of Mr.
MoMaster's donation, nearly $50,000 was
secured by the Rev. Drs. Band and Mac Vicar
for new buildingis and equipment at Wood-
stock, from members of the denomination.
It was then felt by the leaders of the de-
nomination that Woodstock had the pros-
pect of sufficient funds in the near future
to warrant the development of its curriculum
into a full university course. Accordingly a
committee was appointed to obtain the
charter, which was granted by the Ontario
Legislature at its session in 1887, and in
accordance with a universal feeling amongst
the Baptists of the country, the name of
McMaster University was given to the new
institution. This charter embraces both
Woodstock and Toronto Baptist colleges.
The Hon. Mr. McMaster during his lifetime
held several important financial and other
offices. As well as being a director of the
R



Bank of Commerce, he was a member of the .
University Senate, president of the Free-
hold Permanent Building and Savings So-
ciety, vice-president of the Confederation
Life Association, director of the Toronto
General Trusts Company; of the Welling-
ton, Grey and Bruce Railway Company, etc.
His whole estate is valued at $1,200,000.
He bad been twice married — first, in 1851,
to Miss Henderson, of New York, who died
in 1868; secondly, in 1871, to his present
wife, Susan Molton, widow of James Fraser,
of Newburgh-on-the-Hudson, N.Y. He had
no children.

Rutherford, JTckhn, Justice of the
Peace for the County of Grey, Owen Sound,
Ontario, was bom at Toronto, on the 9th
February, 1839. His parents were Peter
Rutherford and Martha Henderson, who
died when he was a mere lad — ^the mother
in 1844 and the father in 1846. The late
James Lesslie, who then published the To^
ronto Examiner, adopted the orphan and
educated him in the Toronto Academy.
In this benevolent gentleman^s family he
remained until 1851. During this year he ^
was bound out as an apprentice to Christie
& Corbet to learn the trade of iron moulder
at Owen Sound, and at this trade he worked
for six years. In 1857, business becoming
very depressed throughout the country, es-
pecially that in iron, Mr. Rutherford was
forced to look for some other means to earn
a livelihood. Having fortunately learned
during his boyhood, in the Examiner office,
the art of setting type, he found temporary
employment as a compositor on the old
Comet newspaper; and soma time after-
wards got on the staff of The Tim^a, A
few years later on, he, in conjunction with
David Creighton, now M.P.P. for North
Grey, bought out this paper, which was
conducted by them, under the firm name of
Rutherford & Creighton, until 1868, when
the partnership was dissolved and the plant
divided, Mr. Creighton retaining The Times
and Mr. Rutherford the job department.
Since then his business has steadily grown,
bookbinding has been added, and his^ office
is now one of the institutions of the thriving
town of Owen Sound. He was a member
of the town council in 1875,'76, '77 and '79;
High School trustee in 1884, '85, and '86,
and has been re- appointed to fill the office
for another term. He was chosen by ac-
clamation to fill the office of mayor for
1885 and 1886, and faithfully served the



Digitized by



Google



290



A CYCLOPJBDIA OF



people during hiB tenn. In Angnfit, 1866,
he joined the Masonic brotherhood, and is
now a past master of St George's lodge.
He is also second principal of Georgian
Chapter, No. 66, R.A.M. He takes a deep
interest in the Ancient Order of United
Workmen, and is one of its past district
deputy masters of the Georgian district.
Mr. Rutherford is an adherent of the Meth-
odist church; and in politics is a Liberal-
Conservative. He has been twice married,
and has had a family of ten children, nine
sons and one daughter; two of his sons
have died.

Kerr, William, M.A., Q.C., LL.D.,
Barrister, Cobourg, Ontario, was bom in
the township of Ameliasburg, in the county
of Prince Edward. He is a son of the late
Francis Kerr, formerly of Enniskilien, in
the county of Fermanagh, Ireland, who for



Online LibraryRobert PhilipThe life and opinions of the Rev. William Milne, D. D., missionary to China → online text (page 57 of 164)