Robert Williams.

A biographical dictionary of eminent Welshmen, from the earliest times to the present, and including every name connected with the ancient history of Wales .. online

. (page 31 of 70)
Online LibraryRobert WilliamsA biographical dictionary of eminent Welshmen, from the earliest times to the present, and including every name connected with the ancient history of Wales .. → online text (page 31 of 70)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


translator rather than as an original composer. His translation of
Watts is certainly very happy, taken as a whole, while some parts of it
excel the original. His rendering of the sixty-sixth hymn, in the second
book of Watts, may be instanced as a singularly beautiful specimen of
successful translation.

JONES, (Edward, D.D.) bishop of St. Asaph, was bom at Llwyn-
rhyryd in the chapelry of Forden near Montgomery. He was educa-
ted at Westminster college, whence he was elected to Trinity college.



Digitized by



Google



254 JONES.

Cambridge, where he was elected fellow in 1667. He became master
of Kilkenny college, and dean of Lismore in Ireland, and was raised to
the bishopric of Cloyne, and in 1692, he was translated to the see of
St. Asaph. His promotion was entirely owing to his being a native of
the country, and thereby qualified to be made a plausible competitor,
in order to defeat the claims of a person in nomination of the same
country, and great learning, integrity, and experience. But this
worthy person had given offence by appearing in the convocation of
1689, against the measures of Dr. Tennison, then archdeacon of Lon-
don, and afterwards archbishop of Canterbury. About the year 1699,
bishop Jones was suspended for six months, by the archbishop of Can-
terbury, for simoniacal practices, which he is said to have yielded to,as he
did also, having a numerous f&mily, to the filling up a lease, which his two
predecessors had refused to renew by the immediate command of the
king. He died May 10, 1703, at Westminster, and was buried in the
parish church of St. Margaret's. (Proceedings against Bbhop Jones.
Willis's Survey of St. Asaph, by Edwards. Ware de Pnesul. Hibem.)
JONES, (Edwabd,) '^bardd y brenin," was bom at a fimn called
Henblas, in the parish of Llanddervel in Merionethshire, in the year
1752. His father was a musical genius, for he could not only perform
on various instruments, but he also made several. He taught two of his
sons, Edward and Thomas, the Welsh harp, another son the spinnet,
and another the violin, and he played himself on the oigan. Edward
came to London about the year 1774, under the patronage of several
persons of distinction, connected with the principality. His perfor-
mance on the harp was considered in those days, when taste, feeling,
and expression, were the characteristic features of a lyrist, to be very
superior. He met with great encouragement, and gave instructions to
many ladies of rank. He was appointed bard to the prince of Wales
in 1783, but it was merely an honorary situation. In 1784, he publish-
ed a folio volume, entitled ^^ Musical and Poetical Relics of the Welsh
Bards ;" of which a new edition with great additions appeared in 1794.
He also published in 1802, another volume entitled the '^ Bardic Mu-
seum, of Primitive British Literature." Both are most valuable and
interesting works, and contain the notes of the most ancient Welsh airs.
In 1820, he published a part of the third volume, which his declining
health prevented him from completing. He had been a collector of
scarce books, and possessed many valuable ones, but his inability to
follow his professional pursuits, and his high spirit preventing him &om
making his situation Imown to his relatives, caused him to dispose of
a part of his library, on the produce of which he subsisted. His friends
at length became aware of his distress, and a recommendation to the
governors of the Royal Society of Musicians was promptly attended
to, and an annidty of £60, was granted unknown to him. He did not
however live to enjoy it, as he died in Marylebone, April 18, 1824,
aged seventy-two. He left a number of scarce books, and much mu-



Digitized by



Google



JONES. 255

sic, which were sold by aaction in February, 1825, and produced nearly
£500, and he had previously sold books and prints to Uie amount of
£300. Of his professional abilities his printed works bear ample testi-
mony, being the result of forty years' labour and research, and will
convey his name with honour to posterity.

JONES, (Gritfith,) of Llanddowror, was bom at Cilrhedin in
Caermarthenshire, of respectable parents, in 1683. He lost his father at
an early age, but having shown an eager desire for study, he was placed
under an able master at Caermarthen grammar school, where he made
rapid progress. He was ordained deacon by bishop Bull in 1708,
and in the following year he was admitted into priest's orders. In
1711> he was presented to the living of Llandeilo Abercowyn, and in
1716, to the vicarage of Llanddowror, by Sir John Phillips, bart. of
Picton, who unsolicited selected him for his learning and piety. Mr.
Jones afterwards married a sbter of Sir John's. He also used occasi*
onally to serve Llanllwch, near Caermarthen, where he had as one of
his congregation Miss Bridget Yaughan, married afterwards to Arthur
Beavan, esq. of Laugham, whose christian munificence makes her
name so deservedly honoured among the Welsh. The eminence of
Mr. Jones as a zealous clergyman brought him under the notice of the
Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign parts, who
thought him admirably adapted for a missionary to India. He acceded
to their proposal, and prepared himself for the undertaking, but hap-
pfly some hindrance arose, and his exertions were preserved for his
poor and ignorant countrymen. In 1730, he first commenced his cir*
culating schools in Wales, which proved an invaluable blessing to
thousands, and according to the account printed by him of their state
for twenty-four years, from 1737 to 1760, the number of schools during
this period was 3185, and of scholars 150,213. They were not confined
to children only, but were attended by many adults, who were regularly
catechised, and had the scriptures explained to them. These schools
were continued after the death of Mr. Jones by Mrs. Beavan during
her life, for about twenty years, and she bequeathed the munificent sum
of £10,000 towards their maintenance. He was an able and impressive
preacher, and often his churches were quite inadequate to contain the
immense crowds, that were drawn to hear him, and especially on sacra-
ment Sundays. He died at the house of Mrs. Beavan, April 8, 1761,
aged seventy-eight, and was buried in the church of Llanddowror,
where he had laboured for forty-five years, and a monument was erect-
ed to his memoiy by Mrs. Beavan. Entirely dovoted to the ameliora-
tion of the spiritual condition of his countrymen, Mr. Jones was instru-
mental in obtaining two editions of the Welsh Bible, which appeared
in 1746, and 1752, and he was himself the author of the following
works in Welsh and English ; 1, The Platform of Christianity : being
an Explanation of the thirty-ninth Articles of the Church of England.
2, Letter to a Clergyman, evincing the Necessity of teaching the Poor



Digitized by



Google



256 JONES.

in Wales. 3, The Christian Covenant, or Baptismal Vow, first and se-
cond part. 4, Esponiad ar Gatecisra Eglwj^s Loegr, yn cynnwys corph
cryno o Ddefnyddiaeth. 6, Galwad at Orseddfainc y Gras. 6, Hy-
fforddwr at Orseddfainc y Gras. 7, Ffurf o Weddiau. 8, Cynghor rhad.
9, Annogaeth i foliannu Duw. 10, Llythyr ar y Ddyledswydd o
Egwyddori yr Anwybodus. 11, Casgliad o Ganiadau y Parch. Rhys
Prichard.

JONES, (Hugh, LL.B.) bishop of Llandaff; was bom in 1508.
He was educated at Oxford, where he took his degree of Bachelor of
Civil Law in 1541. He was beneficed in his native country, and was
made a prebendary of LlandafiP, and in the reign of queen Mary, in 1566,
he became vicar of Ban well in Somersetshire. In the year 1567, he
was consecrated at Lambeth to the bishopric of Llandafi\ being as
Godwin observes, the first Welshman that had been preferred to this
see, for the space of three hundred years. He died in November, 1574,
aged sixty-six, and was buried in the church of Mathem in Monmouth-
shire. (Woo*s A then. Oxon. Willis's Survey of LlandaiF.)

JONES, (Hugh,) of Llangwm in Denbighshire, a poet who wrote
from about 1740 to 1780. In 1759, he published a selection of poetry by
various authors, among which are several pieces by himself, entitled
**Dewisol Ganiadau yr Oes hon;" three editions of which have been
printed. In 1763, he published another volume containing poems by
Goronwy Owen, Lewb Morris, and other Anglesey poets, entitled "Di-
ddanwch Teuluaidd." Hugh Jones wrote also several dramatic pieces^
called Interludes, which were very popular among the Welsh peasant-
ry during the last century, one of which entitled ^'Enterlute newydd
ar ddull ymddiddan rhwng Protestant a Neillduwr," was printed in
1783.

JONES, (John, LL.D.) was the son of Mathew Jones of Pentyrch,
in Glamorgan. He was entered at Jesus College, Oxford, in 1672,
being then seventeen years of age, of which he became a scholar, and
afterwards a fellow. Having taken his degrees in arts, he studied law,
and was admitted doctor of that faculty in 1677. He practised physic
at Windsor, and in 1691, he was made chancellor of Llandaff. He was
a man of learning and ingenuity; in 1683, he published a Latin trea-
tise on intermittent fevers, and according to Plot's Natural History of
Oxfordshire, he invented a clock, which moved by the air, equally ex-
pressed out of bellows of a cylindrical foim, which fell into folds in its
descent. He died in 1709. (Wood's Athen. Oxon.)

JONES, (John,) the learned Benedictine, was bom in the parish of
Llanvrynach, Breconshire, in 1575. He was sent at the age of sixteen
to Merchant Tailor's school in London, irom whence he went to St.
John's college, Oxford, of which he was elected scholar. Here he be-
came an intimate friend and companion of William Laud, afterwards
archbishop of Canterbury. He was made fellow of his college, and ap-
plied himself to the study of the civil law, in which he had made con-



Digitized by



Google



JONES. 257

siderable progress^ when, being inclined to the Roman Catholic pursn-
aslon, he left his country, and went into Spain, where he was made a
monk of the order of St. Benedict at Compostella, and took the name
of Leander de Sancto Martino, and at length obtained the degree of
D.D. Thence he went to Dunay, where he held the professorships of
Divinity and Hebrew, at the college of St. Yedastus, for several years*
He was afterwards made prior of the Benedictine college of St. Gregory
there, and was intended to be abbot of Gismar in Germany. He was
also vicar general of the English Benedictines of the Spanish congre-
gation living in Spain, twice president of the Benedictines in England,
and titular prior of the catholic church of Canterbury. Wood states
that he was a person of extraordinary eloquence, generally knowing in
all arts and sciences, beloved of all that knew him, and his worth, and
hated by none but the puritans and the Jesuits. A short time previ-
ously to his death, he was invited by Laud to return to England, to
consult about certain important points of controversy, and Prynne ac-
cuses the primate of an intention of reconciling by hh interference the
church of England to that of Rome. He died in England December
17, 1686, and was buried in the chapel of the Capuchins near Somerset
House in the Strand. His only published works are two Latin treatises
on divinity, the one a kind of concordance, and the other showing the
harmony and consistence of the Scriptures. He left in manuscript, an
exposition of the Bible in six lai^ge volumes. (Wood's Athen. Oxon.
Jones's Brecknockshire.)

JONES, (John,) the regicide, was the son of a gentleman of small
property, but alleged ancient descent. His father Thomas ab John, or
Jones, was of Maes y Gamedd, near the wild pass, called Drws Ardu-
dwy in Merionethshire, and his mother was Ellen, one of the daughters
of Robert Wynn ap levan, esq. of Taltreuddyn, in the same neighbour-
hood. In a scarce old work containing an account of the trial of the
regicides, it is stated that he was sent up to London to be put to a trade,
but was placed as a servant to a gentleman, and afterwards to Sir
Thomas Middleton, lord mayor of London, with whom he lived many
years in that capacity. At the beginning of the civil war, he joined the
parliament side, and obtained for his first post a captaincy of infantry,
from which he was rapidly promoted to a colonelcy. His active quali-
ties soon recommended him to Cromwell, by whom he was greatly
esteemed, and employed by him in many important services. He re-
presented his native county of Merioneth in two parliaments, and he
was appointed one of the commissioners of parliament for the govern-
ment of Ireland. This office he is said to have discharged with great
tyranny, ^'persecuting all that were contrary to his principles, raking up
old laws concerning the brewing of ale and beer, plaguing all the houses
in Dublin that sold drink, and not suffering any one to enjoy a pubb'c
employment, who was seen to go into an alehouse « so that to go into
an alehouse, or regular church, were crimes equally dangerous and

2 K



Digitized by



Google



258 JONES.

punishable. After leaving Ireland he married Cromwell's sister^ Jane
the widow of Roger Whitstone, esq. and he was appointed by the pro-
tector^ a member of his house of lords. Upon the return of Charles
II. colonel Jones was tried for the part he had taken in his sorereign's
condemnation, and executed October 17, 1660.

JONES, (John,) of Grelli Lyvdy, in the parish of Ysgeiyiog, Flint-
shire, was an attorney m the court of the Marches of Wales. He left
behind him some curious anecdotes respecting that court, which he had
collected with the intention of exposing the enormities of a practice he
early withdrew himself from, because he had too much honesty to pur-
sue it. He is distinguished as one of the most inde&tigable collectors
of Welsh literature. He continued transcribing old manuscripts for a
period of forty years, as appears from some of his yolumes, which are
yariously dated from 1590 to 1630. His labours in this way filled up-
wards of fifty large volumes, and in consequence of an agreement with
the celebrated antiquary Robert Yaughan, that the survivor should
have the benefit of the other's labours, these were transferred to, and
are now preserved in, the library at Hengwrt.

JONES, (John,) a divine of some note, who excited a controversy
respecting the Liturgy, was bom in 1700, and is supposed to have been
a native of Caermarthen. He was admitted of Worcester college, Ox-
ford, where he took his degree of B.A. about 1721, and in 1726, he
was ordained priest. In 1741, he was presented to the vicarage of
Alconbury in Huntingtdonshire, which he resigned in 1751, for the rec-
tory of Bolnhurst in Bedfordshire. In 1755, he was vicar of Hitchin^
and in 1759 he became curate to Dr. Young at Welwyn, and continu-
ed there until the death of that celebrated poet in 1765. Mr. Jones
was killed by a fall from his horse. After his death, most of his ma-
nuscripts passed into the hands of Thomas Dawson, M.D. a dissenting
minister at Hackney, whence they passed into the dissenters' library
in Redcross street. Some biographical notices which have appeared
in the Gentleman's Magazine, were taken from them. The same
work also contains an extensive series of extracts from his literary cor-
respondence with Dr. Birch, from which many particulars of his ta-
lents and character may by gleaned. His chief work was entitled
'^Free and Candid Disquisitions," published in 1749. These contained
many observations on the Liturgy of the established church, with pro-
posals for some alterations. In 1765, he published, ^ Catholic Faith
and Practice;" and **A Letter to a Friend in the country." (Chal-
mers's Biographical Dictionary.)

JONES, (John, LL.DO was bom in the year 1768, at Wemvelen,
near Llandovery, Caermarthenshire, and was the son of a feurmer, who
resided at that place. Having shown an unusual predilection for books^
his father resolved to give him the best education he could afibrd. At
the age of fourteen, he was sent to the college grammar school at Bre-
con, where he remained until the death of his father in 178d> when he



Digitized by



Google



JONES. 259

was obliged to return home. In 1786^ he was admitted a student in
the new dissenting oollege at Hackney, where he remained six years.
In 1702, he became classical and mathematical tutor at the dissenting
academy at Swansea, which office he held three years. On quitting
Swansea, Mr. Jones resided at Plymouth Dock, as the pastor of the
unitarian congregation at that place, and in 1797, he removed to Hali-
fax, in Yorkshire, in a similar capacity. Here he resided for three
years, joining to his ministerial labours the instruction of youth, an
employment for which he was considered singularly well qualified by
his high classical attainments, and the peculiar bent of his mind. From
Halifax he removed in 1800 to London, where he continued to the end of
his life. While resident in the metropolis, he occasionally preached for
his brethren, but never had the charge of a congregation; his time be-
ing occupied in literary works, and in teaching the classics, for which
he maintained a high reputation. He died January 10, 1827. About
the year 1820, the university of Aberdeen conferred upon him the
honorary degree of doctor of laws, and within a year or two of his
decease, he was elected a member of the Royal Society of Literature.
He was the author of the following works. 1, A Development of Re-
markable Events, two volumes, 1800. 2, The Epistle of Paul to the
Romans analysed, 1801. 3, A Greek Grammar, 1804. 4, Illustrations
of the four Gospels, 1808. 6, Ecclesiastical Researches, 1812. 6, A Se-
quel to the same, 1813. 7, A Latin and English Vocabulary, 1812. 8,
A Latin Grammar, 1813. 9, A New version of the first three chapters
of Genesis, 1819. 10, A series of unportant Facts, 1820. 11, A Reply
to two Deistical works, about 1822. 12, A Greek and English Lexi-
con, 1823. 13, An Answer to Pseudo-Criticism, about 1824. 14, Three
Letters on 1 John v. 7) 1825. 15, Analogiie Latins, being his Latin
Vocabulary improved, 1825. 16, Tyro's Greek and English Lexicon,

1825. 17, Etymologia Greeca, being his Greek Grammar remodelled,

1826. 18, Exposure of the Hamiltonian System of teaching Languages,
1826. 19, An Explanation of the Greek Article, 1826. (The Monthly
Repository, April, 1827.)

JONES, (Owen,) the distinguished Welsh antiquaiy, whose name
will be ever honourably associated with the Welsh language, was bom
at Llanvihangel Glyn y Myvyr, Denbighshure, in 1741. In early life
he was sent to London, where he was taken into the employment of
Messrs. Kidney and Nutt, ^rriers, in Thames Street, to whose business
he eventually succeeded, and he continued to carry it on with credit,
until his decease. The di%ence, however, with which he pursued his
particular calling, did not prevent him fiom devoting a considerable
share of his time to his native country, to which he was ardently at-
tached. Lamenting the neglect experienced by the literature of Wales,
he resolved to make a collection of all its remains, and the result of his
disinterested patriotism has been the publication of the Myvyrian Ar-
chaiology of Wales, in three large octavo volumes, 1801 — 7. This con-



Digitized by



Google



260 JONES.

tains all the most distinguished productions of the country from the
fifth to the close of the thirteenth century. These he has given to the
world with a conscientious fidelity, and at an expense of ahove a thou*
sand pounds. He also procured transcripts of ancient Welsh poetry,
subsequent to the thirteenth centuiy, amounting to fifty quarto vo-
lumes, which are now deposited in the British Museum. In 1772, he
founded the Gwyneddigion Society in London, for the purpose of pa-
tronising the harda of Wales, and promoting the study of the Welsh
language, and he contributed his aid, in every way during his life, to
promote the laudable objects of that institution. In 1789, he published
at his own expense, the poems of Davydd ab Gwilym, with a preface
by Dr. Owen Pughe, and for the use of his humble countrymen, he
published a new edition of "Dyhewyd y Cristion," or the ** Christian's
Resolution," a translation from the English by the celebrated Dr.
John Davies. He also commenced a miscellany in London, in 1805,
called the "Greal," one volume of which was completed. After a life
distinguished by private worth and public zeal, Owen Jones died at
his house in Thames Street, September 26, 1814, at the age of seventy-
three, leaving a widow, and a famUy of three children, one of whom,
the only son, is Owen Jones, the eminent architect. (See Cambro-
Britoni. 21. Cambrian Register, vol. iii.)

JONES, (Rice,) was the eldest son of John Jones, esq. of Blaenau,
in the county of Merioneth, where he was bom in the year 1713. He
was educated at a school at Dolgelleu, whence he was sent to Shrews-
bury. It was intended to bring him up to the law, but the death of
his father, when he was eighteen years of age, relieved him from the
necessity of following that profession, for which he had no predilection,
and he resided during his long life at his native place of Blaenau. He
was one of the best poets of the last century. In 1770, he published
in a quarto volume a selection of Welsh poetry of different ages, which
previously remained in manuscript, entitled ** Gorchestion Beirdd
Cymru ;" and a volume of his own poetry was published by his grand-
son in 1818. Rice Jones died February 14, 1801, in his eighty-eighth
year, and was buried in Llanvachreth church.

JONES, (Richard,) was the son of John Pugh of Henllan in Den-
bighshire, where he was bom in 1603. He was entered at Jesus college
Oxford, in 1621, and took his degrees in arts in that univer^ty. In
1655, he published in his native language a work containing with ad-
mirable brevity all the books and chapters of the Bible. This is entitled
" Gemma Cambricum, sen Mnemonica Biblorum ;" Perl y Cymro,
neu Goviadur y Beibl," 12mo. This has prefixed a short epistle in
commendation by James Howell. Richard Jones died in Ireland,.but
the year of his decease is not known. (Wood's Athen. Oxon.)

JONES, (Samuel,) a poet who flourished from about 1680 to 1720.
He was a clergyman by profession, and presided at the Glamorgan
Gorsedd in 1700.



Digitized by



Google



JONES. 261

JONES, (Theophilus,) the historian of Breconshire, was bom Oc-
tober 18, 1768. He was the son of the Rey. Hugh Jones, successively
vicar of the parishes of Llangammarch, and Llywel, Breconshire, and
a prebendary of the collegiate church of Brecon. He passed much of
his earlier life with his grandfather Theophilus Evans. His principal
education was obtained at the college school at Brecon. Being intended
by his parents for the law, at a proper age, he was placed under the
care of an eminent practitioner, then resident in the town of Brecon ;
and after having passed with credit the period of his probation, he
practised for many years on his own account, as an attorney and solicit
tor in that town. Upon a vacancy in the deputy-registrarship of the
archdeaconry of Brecon, he was appointed to that office, and held it
until his death. From the documents entrusted to his charge, and to
which he was particularly attentive, he derived much valuable infor-
mation connected with the parochial history of the county. After he
had commenced the history of Breconshire, he found that his professi-
onal duties interfered with his antiquarian pursuits, which caused him
to dispose of his attorney's business. Being now at liberty to pursue
the great object of his ambition, he spared neither pains nor expense to
accomplish it. There was no part of the county into which he did not
extend his personal researches, inquiring most minutely into the natu-
ral history and antiquities of every place and parish. The admirable
result of his labours is the well known "History of Brecknockshire."
The first volume was printed at Brecon in 1805, and the second in
1809, quarto. With the exception of two communications to periodical
publications^ and two papers in the Cambrian Register, this was his
only literary production. It was his intention to publish a History of
Radnorshire, but the enfeebled state of his health would not allow him
to make the necessary exertions. His last literary attempt was a trans-
lation of the well written romance in Welsh, entitled "Gweledigaethau
y Bardd Cwag," or Visions of the Sleeping Bard, by Ellis Wynn. He
died January 15, 1812, and was buried in the church of Llangammarch.



Online LibraryRobert WilliamsA biographical dictionary of eminent Welshmen, from the earliest times to the present, and including every name connected with the ancient history of Wales .. → online text (page 31 of 70)