Royden Woodward Vosburgh.

Minisink Valley Reformed Dutch Church records online

. (page 1 of 29)
Online LibraryRoyden Woodward VosburghMinisink Valley Reformed Dutch Church records → online text (page 1 of 29)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

' \^^


«i » *





The New York Genealogical
and Biographical Society







Co-Pastor with Dom. Petrus Vas at Kingston Dutch Church, I 732.

Missionary to the Minisink District

iWint^tnfe trailer BefotmeD l^ntc^ Ci^utc]^


FOR 1913

President, Clarence Winthrop Bowen

First Vice-President, . . William Bradhurst Osgood Field

Second Vice-President, . William Isaac Walker

Secretary Henry Russell Drowne

Treasurer, Hopper Striker Mott

Historian, William Austin Macy, M. D.

Necrologist, Winchester Fitch

Registrar of Pedigrees, . Winchester Fitch

Executive Committee

Abraham Hatfield, Jr., Chairman
William Bradhurst Osgood Field Henry Pierson Gibson
George Austin Morrison, Jr. Hopper Striker Mott

Clarence Winthrop Bowen William Isaac Walker


HowLAND Pell Gen. James Grant Wilson

Henry Pierson Gibson William Isaac Walker

Samuel Reading Bertron Tobias Alexander Wright

Ellsworth Everett Dwight Henry Russell Drowne

Clarence Winthrop Bowen George Austin Morrison, Jr.

Thomas Townsend Sherman John Reynolds Totten

Abraham Hatfield, Jr. Hopper Striker Mott
William Bradhurst Osgood Field

Committee on Publication

Hopper Striker Mott Josiah Collins Pumpelly

George Austin Morrison, Jr. John R. Totten

Royden Woodward Vosburgh Tobias A. Wright

Capt. Richard Henry Greene William Alfred Robbins

William Becker Van Alstyne, M. D.









In cooperation with the , nj S^
Genealogy Society of yS j, ^
Sussex County, New Jersey O^'^jf^^

Facsimile Reprint

Published 1992 By


1540 Pointer Ridge Place. Bowie. Maryland 20716

(301) 390-7709

ISBN 1-55613-556-4

A Complete Catalog Listing Hundreds of Titles

on History. Genealogy and Americana

Free on Request


Baptisms by Dom. Petrus Vas, 1716 to 1719, 97 to 98

Baptisms and Births, 1737 to 1803, . . . 98 to 219

Marriages, 1738 to 1797, 265 to 278

Church Members, 1745 to 1791, .... 281 to 285

Baptisms and Births, 1805 to 1816,

Baptisms and Births, 1803 to 1827,
Marriages, 1804 to 1825, ....

Walpttli Cl^urcl^ ISecorD

Baptisms and Births, 1741 to 1830,
Marriages, 1741 to 1769, ....

. 219



. 231



. 278 to 280




. 92



With j^omait of ^om. (George l^ilbelm !3l^anciujtf

Edited, with an Introduction, by





100 numbered and signed copies


New York Genealogical and Biographical Society

/ Secretary


It is not within the limits of this introduction to recite in detail
the story of the earliest visits of the Dutch, in the region generally
termed as the Minisink valley. The first occupation was for the
purpose of conducting mining operations. It is probable that these
operations were commenced during the time of the Dutch occupa-
tion of New York ; and they may have been continued secretly for
a time, after the colony was transferred to the English. It seems
quite clear that the first occupation has no connection with the
settlement of the valley, by the way of Kingston, which commenced
about the year 1690. We quote here from Eager's History of
Orange County, giving the recollections of some of the settlers, who
were old men in 1787; as a whole, we believe this to be as authentic
a story of the earliest history of the region as can be briefly pre-

"We place before the reader a copy of a letter from Hazard's Register,
written by Samuel Preston, Esq., which will throw much light upon the point
of early settlement in the Minisink country, by whom and when made, and
be far more satisfactory than anything we could say. * * *

Copy of Letters from Sam'l Preston, Esq., dated Stockport, June 6 & 14,


In 1787 the writer went on his first surveying tour into Northampton
County; he was deputed under John Lukens, Surveyor General, and received
from him, by way of instructions, the following narrative respecting the
settlement of Minisink on the Delaware, above Kittanny and Blue Mountain :

That the settlement was formed for a long time before it was known to
the Government in Philadelphia. That when the Government was informed
of the settlement, they passed a law in 1729 that any such purchases of the
Indians should be void ; and the purchasers indicted for forcible entry and
detainer, according to the law of England. That in 1730 they appointed an
agent to go and investigate the facts ; that the agent so appointed was the
famous Surveyor, Nicholas Scull ; that he, James Lukens, was N. Scull's
apprentice to carry chain and learn surveying. That as they both understood
and could talk Indian, they hired Indian guides, and had a fatiguing journey,
there being then no white inhabitants in the upper part of Bucks or North-
ampton County. That they had very great difficulty to lead their horses
through the water gap to Minisink flats, which were all settled with Hol-
landers; with several they could only be understood in Indian. At the ven-
erable Depuis's they found great hospitality and plenty of the necessaries
of life. J. Lukens said that the first thing which struck his attention was
a grove of apple-trees of size far beyond any near Philadelphia. That as
N. Scull and himself examined the banks, they were fully of opinion that
all those flats had at some very former age been a deep lake before the
river broke through the mountain, and that the best interpretation they could
make of Minisink was, the water is gone. That S. Depuis told them when the
rivers were frozen he had a good road to Esopus, near Kingston, from the


Mineholes, on the Mine road, some hundred miles. That he took his wheat
and cider there for salt and necessaries, and did not appear to have any
knowledge or idea where the river ran — Philadelphia market — or being in
the government of Pennsylvania.

They were of opinion that the first settlements of Hollanders in Mini-
sink were many years older than William Penn's charter, and that S. Dupuis
had treated them so well they concluded to make a survey of his claim, in
order to befriend him if necessary. When they began to survey, the Indians
gathered around ; an old Indian laid his hand on N. Scull's shoulder and
said, "Put up iron string, go home." They then quit and returned.

I had it in charge from John Lukens to learn more particulars respect-
ing the Mine road to Esopus, &c. I found Nicholas Dupuis, Esq., son of
Samuel, living in a spacious stone house in great plenty and affluence. The
old Mineholes were a few miles above, on the Jersey side of the river by
the lower point of Paaquarry Flat ; that the Minisink settlement extended
forty miles or more on both sides of the river. That he had well known
the Mine road to Esopus, and used before he opened the boat channel
through Foul Rift, to drive on it several times every winter with loads of
wheat and cider, as did also his neighbors, to purchase their salt and neces-
saries in Esopus, having then no other market or knowledge where the river
ran to. That after a navigable channel was opened through Foul Rift they
generally took to boating, and most of the settlement turned their trade
down stream, the Mine road became less and less traveled.

This interview with the amiable Nicholas Dupuis, Esq., was in June,
1787. He then appeared about sixty years of age. I interrogated as to the
particulars of what he knew, as to when and by whom the Mine road was
made, what was the ore they dug and hauled on it, what was the date,
and from whence, or how, came the first settlers of Minisink in such great
numbers as to take up all the flats on both sides of the river for forty miles.
He could only give traditionary accounts of what he had heard from older
people, without date, in substance as follows:

That in some former age there came a company of miners from Holland ;
supposed, from the great labor expended in making that road, about one
hundred miles long, that they were very rich or great people, in working
the two mines, — one on the Delaware where the mountain nearly approaches
the lower point of Paaquarry Flat, the other at the north foot of the same
mountain, near half way from the Delaware and Esopus. He ever under-
stood that abundance of ore had been hauled on that road, but never could
learn whether lead or silver. That the first settlers came from Holland
to seek a place of quiet, being persecuted for their religion. I believe they
were Armenians. They followed the Mine road to the large flats on the
Delaware. That smooth, cleared land suited their views. That they bona
fide bought the improvements from the native Indians, most of whom
then moved to the Susquehanna ; that with such as remained there was peace
till 1755-

I then went to view the Paaquarry Mineholes. There appeared to have
been a great abundance of labor done there at some former time, but the
mouths of these holes were caved full, and overgrown with bushes. I con-
cluded to myself if there ever had been a rich mine under the mountain it
must be there yet in close confinement. The other older men I conversed
with gave their traditions similar to N. Dupuis, and they all appeared to
be grandsons of the first settlers, and very ignorant as to dates and things
relating to chronology. In the summer of 1789 I began to build on this
place ; then came two venerable gentlemen on a surveying expedition. — They
were the late Gen. James Clinton, the father of the late De Witt Qinton,
and Christopher Tappan, Esq., Clerk and Recorder of Ulster County. — For
many years before, they had both been surveyors under Gen. Clinton's
father, when he was surveyor general. In order to learn some history from
gentlemen of their general knowledge, I accompanied them in the woods.
They both well knew the Mineholes, Mine road, &c., and as there were
no kind of documents or records thereof, united in the opinion that it was


a work transacted while the State of New York belonged to the govern-
ment of Holland ; that it fell to the English in 1664 ; and that the change
in government stopped the mining business, and that the road must have been
made many years before such digging could have been done. That it un-
doubtedly must have been the first good road of that extent made in any part
of the United States."

The "Minisink country" consists of the valley of the Neversink,
west of the Shawangunk Mountains, and the Delaware valley, as far
as the Delaware Water Gap. The first settlements of which au-
thentic knowledge can be ascertained were made about 1690, at what
was later called the Upper Neighborhood, near Cuddebackville. A
few years later more families came, and the settlements stretched
further down the Neversink valley, to the junction with the Dela-
ware; in later years the valley between Huguenot and Port Jervis
was known as the Lower Neighborhood. The Neversink river was
then called the Machackemeck, and the valley between Cuddeback-
ville and Port Jervis was often spoken of as Peenpack. The earliest
Patents in this neighborhood were the Waghaghkemeck* Patent,
Oct. 14, 1697; the Minisink Patent, Aug, 28, 1704, which confirmed
the Indian deed of 1702, and several other patents of less importance,
which need not be enumerated here. The Waghaghkemeck* Patent
was granted to Jacob Cuddeback, Thomas Swartwout, Anthony
Swartwout, Bernardus Swartwout, Jan Tys, Peter Guimar and
David Jamison. The settlers in the Minisink valley were Dutch,
French Huguenots and English.

The first minister of the Gospel among the settlers in the Min-
isink was the Rev. Petrus Vas, of Kingston. The earliest baptisms
that he administered will be found in the records of the Kingston
Dutch Reformed Church. Sixteen of the baptisms administered
by Vas will not be found in the Kingston record. They cover the
years 1716 to 1719, and were obtained from some source (probably
from Vas) by Domine Johannes Casparus Fryenmoet, and recorded
by him on page 15 of the Minisink-Machackemeck record in the
year 1745 and numbered by him as baptismal entries 206 to 221.
When George Wilhelmus Mancius arrived in the Province of New
York, excepting a short stay in New Jersey, he took up work in
the congregations of Ulster county, and soon he became the colleague
of Vas, at Kingston and its allied churches. His scholarly accom-
plishments which enabled him to speak Dutch, French, English and
German, were of great advantage to him in his labors in the Mini-
sink. He was the prime mover in the religious work, which resulted
in the establishing of four Dutch Reformed churches in the Minisink

* Or Maghaghkemeck.


valley. A part of the records of three of these churches has been
transcribed in this volume. And it is our purpose here to outline the
histor}' of these four churches, to show the sites that they have oc-
cupied, and to cite briefly the group of secondary churches that have
grown out of them.

The first entries in the Minisink-Machackemeck record are in
the handwriting of the Rev. George W'ilhelmus Mancius. They
extend from Aug. 23, 1737, to Sept. 19, 1740. occupying pages 3 to
10 in the original record, and being numbered as baptismal entries
I to 102; see pages 98 to 103 in this volume. The title page of the
Minisink-Machackemeck record, which should be on page 97 of this
volume, is as follows :

*Kerkelyk protocoll voor de gemeente van Menissing
beginnende met den jaar 1737 d. 23 August.

Kerken Boek Van Den gemeenten Van Minissink en

The Property of the Prot. Refd. Dutch Church Deer
Park, Classis of Orange, N. Y. July 1844. Geo. P. Van
Wyck, Pastor.

The first title was written by Domine George Wilhelmus
Mancius ; the second by Domine Johannes Casparus Fryenmoet.
The facts brought out by the title page and by the handwriting on it,
seem to be sufficient to warrant the supposition that the Minisink
church was the senior of the four churches, and for this reason it is
taken up first. The only act of Consistory recorded in the hand of
Domine Mancius is generally supposed to have been passed at the
first meeting, when the organization of the churches was effected. A
translation of it follows :

"Whereas, some among us are unwilling to remunerate the minister who
is coming to officiate among us and yet wish to avail themselves of his
services, it was approved and resolved by the Consistory: That every one
dwelUng among us requiring the services of the minister shall pay for the
baptism of a child six shillings, and those who live without our bounds shall
pay for the baptism of a child three shillings. Signed in behalf of others.


Done in Consistory, August 23, 1737."

It should be noted that the name Machackemeck does not appear
in this record during the ministry of Domine Mancius.

* Translation : Ecclesiastic record for the congregation of Menissing. beginning with
the year 1737, the 23rd of August. Church Book of the congregations of Minissink and

The Minisink church was about eight miles below Port Jervis, on
the Old Mine Road, in the present township of Montague, Sussex
county, N. J. The name Minisink was applied locally by the settlers
to the tract of land in the vicinity of this church, extending prin-
cipally to the southwest. It was also known as the Nominack or
Namanach church, deriving this name from the parsonage, which
was located about three miles below it on the Old Mine Road. The
site of the church was about abreast of the northernmost point of
Minisink island, where the Delaware river forks. It is about a
quarter of a mile below the cross roads where an old building stands,
formerly a store kept by Judge Stull and now a tavern known as the
"brick store." There is a sharp bend in the road, which swings from
a southeasterly to a northeasterly direction, and on the river side
sloping down towards river bed, lies the land once occupied by the
ancient Minisink church and burying ground. The ground is thickly
wooded with trees of between fifteen and twenty-five years' growth,
and is overgrown with dense underbrush. The site would hardly be
discernible in passing along the road, were it not for one or two
badly neglected modern gravestones, which lie at the turn of the
road, so near the highway that they might easily be taken for mile-
stones. Further back among the trees some twenty rough field
stones remain, marking as many graves. They are flat stones, prob-
ably from the river bed, and the traces of inscriptions are only evi-
dent on one or two of them. There are also in this graveyard about
six modern marble stones, bearing dates 1824, 1825 and 1853. ^
considerable number of the legible gravestones, formerly here, were
transferred to the newer cemetery behind the present church, in
Montague village, which is about three quarters of a mile along the
road, in a northeasterly direction. Among the stones transferred to
the newer cemetery, are a number of Westbrook family stones, bear-
ing dates shortly after 1800.

It is difficult to fix the date when the old Minisink church ceased
to be used for the purpose of Divine service. On two occasions the
Minisink congregation petitioned the New Jersey Legislature for per-
mission to hold a lottery to raise money to pay off the indebtedness
upon their church, resulting from repairs to the church edifice and
parsonage. The first petition was dated Oct. 16, 1795, Thomas Kyte
being allowed £1 :o5 :og, in the Donation Account of the Minisink
Corporation under date of Oct. 31, 1795, "to go to Trenton to advo-
cate a petition for a church lottery before the Assembly to pay the
arrears of the church building and parsonage, &c." The second


petition was dated Oct. 9, 1804. It would appear that a number of
years intervened between the time that the old church became un-
tenantable, by reason of age and want of repair, and the time that
the second church was erected in about the year 1827. Information
concerning the date of the erection of the second church very in-
definite ; however the county records of Sussex county were not
examined. It seems quite certain that during this interval this con-
gregation worshiped in the Shapanack church.* The minutes of the
Minisink Consistory contain nothing definite about the date of the
erection of the second church, although the date of the sale of the
old church is mentioned. There are no minutes between Sept. 5,
1797, and July 14, 181 6.

The first book of the Minisink church record was also used by
the Machackemeck church. The baptisms appearing in this book are
transcribed in this volume, covering pages 97 to 230 ; the marriages,
covering pages 265 to 278. For additional items not included in this
volume, see translation of this record by Rev. J. B. Ten Eyck, pub-
lished by W. H. Nearpass, Port Jervis, N. Y., 1877. Abstract of
items omitted in this volume :

Minutes of Consistory, Aug. 23, 1737 to Feb. 16, 1792.

Act of Subordination, signed by Church Officers, Apr. 16,
1745 to Apr. 19, 1755.

Members of Consistory, 1741 to 1750.

List of members received in Machackemeck church by Rev.
Elias Van Bunschooten, on Oct. 12, 1787, from a piece of paper,
not a part of the record book.

The proper title of this book should be the Minisink-Machacke-

meck record, as it was the joint record of the two churches, from

1741 to 1803; from 1805 until it ends in 1816, it is the record of the

Minisink church alone. The last meeting of the Consistory recorded

in Low Dutch in this book, is translated by Ten Eyck as follows :

"The Reverend Consistory being assembled together in fear of the Lord,
February 16, 1792, at the house of Joannes D. Westbrook, after prayer it was
resolved to become incorporated in pursuance of the Act of the State of
New Jersey, and for this end that we unanimously sign a short application
to be enrolled in the Register Book of the County of Sussex, in the above
mentioned State."

The second book of records of the Minisink church (now the
only one in their possession), was the minute book of the Corpora-
tion and Consistory, and was commenced in the year 1792. The
following extracts are copied from this book :

"Records of the Elders and Deacons of the Church of Menesing incor-
porated the first day of March 1792 as may be seen in the Records in Clerk's
Office in the County of Sussex Rhodes Clk. as also may be viewed in
the church records of Menesing dated February 16, 1792."

* For Shapanack church see page xix.


"Succession of Consistory and their Acts. There has been a succession
of Elders and Deacons in the Church of Menessing from August 23, 1737
to May the ii, 1785 when the combined Consistories of Walpeck, Menesing,
and Magagkameck, viz.

Isaac Van Campen made a Call on the Rvd. Elias Van

Joannes Decker Bunschooten then Minister of the Gos-

Hendrick Wm. Cortrecht pel of Schachtkook who accepted of

Joannes C. Westbrook the Menesing Call the 9th of July next

Hendericus Decker following and was installed by the

Jesias Cortrecht Revd. Jacob R. Hardenbergh the 29

William Ennes of August 1785 and also at the same

Frederick Van Demerck time by the above mentioned Consist-

J. R. Dewitt ories received as their lawful Minister

Simon Westfall of the Gospel as may be seen in Mene-

Harmanus Van Emwigen sing church records."
Jacob D. Gumaar
Elias Cortrecht
Thomas Kyte

"On a meeting of the Consistory of Menesing Church the 16 Febru-
ary 1792.


Elias Van Bunschooten After calling on the name of God

Joannes D. Westbrook they thought for several reasons that

Gysbert Sutfin it was best to be incorporated : and for

Joannes Van Etten that purpose, at the same time, signed

Abraham Westfal a certifacate which is recorded by

Cornelius Cole Rhodes Clerk of the County of Sussex

Benjamin Fisher of the State of New Jersey the ist of

Gedeon Cole March, 1792."
Jeremiah Van Demerck

"July 14th, 1816 the surviving members of the Consistory together with
the male members of this Congregation met at the house of Mr. Stool* the
meeting was opened with prayers by the Rev. Charles Hardenbergh.

Whereas it Appeared that there were only two members remaining in
Consistory Viz Abraham Westfall Elder and Joseph Ennes Decon it was

Resolved that the meeting proceed to the Election of church officers
when the following persons were only chosen Viz

Abraham Westfall and
Joseph Ennes
Peter Vannest and

Joseph Ennes ( ^*^^"

f Decons

Benjamin Depui

the Elders and Decons Elect After having been published to the Congre-
gation were Installed In there respective offices.

At the same time Also Elizabeth Ogden wife of Samuel Depui on
making a satisfactory confession of her faith was received as a member in
full Communion with the church.

"September 8, 1829.

The Consistory, trustees of the Minisink Congregation having previously
consulted with most of the owners of the seats in the old meeting house,
and having given public notice of the meeting this day with the owners
of seats to see if there were any objections to selling the old house, the
proceeds thereof to be apphed by the Consistory for the use and benefit of
the congregation.

This day accordingly a number of the inhabitants met with the con-
sistory & no one objecting to said sale the Consistory resolved to sell said

* James Stoll.


house, & gave public notice of such sale on the 26th of September inst. at
the old house.

September 26, 1829, the sale of said house was postponed untill Satur-
day October nth, 1829.

C. C. ELTING, Prest & Clk of Consistory."

The old church was finally sold on Nov. 7, 1829, the fund arising

from the sale amounting to $148.33.

Abstract of contents of second book, Minisink record :

Baptisms, June 14, 1817 to Jan. 18, 1903.

Marriages, Oct. 5, 1817 to Dec. 17, 1902.

Minutes of Consistory, Feb. 16, 1792 to Sept 8, 1866. "The
minutes are continued in the new book procured for the purpose
November 1866."

Communicants, July 14, 1816 to Dec. 5, 1879.

Donation account, Dec. 15, 1792 to Nov. 25, 1798; salary
receipts, etc.


The Machackemeck Church stood on the Old Mine Road, about

one quarter of a mile above the point where it crossed the Neversink.

Online LibraryRoyden Woodward VosburghMinisink Valley Reformed Dutch Church records → online text (page 1 of 29)