Rutgers University.

Catalogue online

. (page 12 of 19)
Online LibraryRutgers UniversityCatalogue → online text (page 12 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Geological Hall (1871)

Besides the department of geology and mineralogy this building
also provides temporary accommodations for the department of physics.
The latter occupies six rooms on the main floor and two in the base-
ment. There are two lecture rooms, an apparatus room, a general
laboratory, and a laboratory for work requiring even temperature.

The department of geology and mineralogy occupies the rest of
the building, which consists of a classroom; a laboratory for deter-
minative mineralogy; an exhibition room, 40 by 84 feet with a gallery,
containing the Geological Museum; a combined ofl&ce and depart-
mental library; and storerooms.

Sophia Astley Kirkpatrick Memorial Chapel (1872)

The chapel was erected with money bequeathed to the College
by Mrs. Sophia Astley Kirkpatrick. The building is of brownstone
in the Frendi Gothic style of the fotui;eenth century. With its chancel
and gallery it has a seating capacity of about 800, and is used for the
daily morning prayers and for the Sunday preaching service. Upon
its walls hang the portraits of many of the presidents, trustees, and
professors who have in the past served the Collie. The George
Buckham Memorial Organ, given by Mrs. G. B. Wright in memory of
her father, a graduate of the class of 1832, is a modem instrument of
32 stops, built and installed by the Ernest M. Skinner Co. It is used
by the director of music both for the religious services and for frequent
public redtals of choice compositions. Above the chancel there is a
large window to Dr. J. R. Hardenbergh, the first president of the
College; and, in the nave, are found several bronze busts and memorial
tablets, with many class windows.

Digitized by



New Jersey Hall (1888-1889)

The erection of this building was authorized by an act of the
State L^:islature approved April 23, 1888. It affords laboratories
and ofl&ces for some of the departments of the State and Agricultural
College Experiment Stations and, by the courtesy of the Board of
Managers of the State station (who also constitute the State Board of
Visitors to the Agricultural Collie), for the laboratories and class-
rooms of the departments of botany, physiology, and zoology.

Winants Hall (1890)

This building was given to the College by Garret Ellis Winants, a
trustee of the institution. It provides dormitory accommodations
for about ninety and a dining hall for such students as choose board
at the College. (See Board and Rooms, page 224.)

Robert F. Ballantine Gymnasium (1893)

The gymnasium, the gift of Robert F. Ballantine, a trustee of the
Collie, is a fine specimen of the colonial style of architecture. It
affords excellent facilities for physical instruction and exercise and for
military instruction and dnll.

The front of the building is devoted to the purposes of administra-
tion and the rear to the gymnasium and drill room proper. Ofl&ces
are also provided for the professor of military science and the director
of the gymnasium. The combined gymnasium and drill room afford
an imobstructed space 100 by 600 feet in dimensions. Suspended from
the truss-roof is a running-track 280 feet in length. Space is also
afforded for the armory of the cadet corps, a large room is provided
for lockers, and another for military equipments. In the basement
are four bowling alleys.

Swimming Pool (1914). — ^An extension of the Robert F. Ballantine
gymnasium, 45 by 100 feet, adjoining the main building on the north
side, has been completed at a cost of more than $25,000, the gift of Mrs.
Robert F. Ballantine. The extension harmonizes in style with the
main gymnasium. On the grotmd floor is a modem, fully equipped
swimming pool, the tank being 75 by 26 feet, with ornamental tiling,
and a complete filtering system, insuring, by the use of alum and
chlorine, a constant supply of pure water. The depth of the water in
the pool runs from 4}4 feet at one end to 9>^ feet at the other. Seat-
ing capacity is provided for about 250 spectators. The pool is in charge

Digitized by



of an experienced swimming teacher. The shower bath room, 15 by
20 feet, provides space for 15 modem fixtures. The second story, 100
by 45 feet, is used as a regular gymnasium floor.

Ceramics Building (1902)

This building contains a commodious laboratory especially adapted
and arranged for the purpose of housing the ceramic equipment. The
workshop includes about 1,700 square feet of floor space, providing
ample room for the machinery installed. There are also storerooms,
kiln rooms, a classroom, and the director's office and laboratory.

Ralph Voorhees Library (1902-1903)

This building, donated by the late Ralph Voorhees, Esq., of
Clinton, is built of reddish-brown stone in the general style of Queen's

A central rotunda and its east and west wings contain the read-
ing desks, the filing cases for periodicals, the card catalog, and the loan
desk. Two rooms, one containing the Henry Janeway Weston Memorial
Collection of books, engravings, and curios relating to Napoleon I,
and the other containing collections of manuscripts, pamphlets, and
articles of historical and local interest, are at the front of the first
story. Over these are rooms for the Spader and Stephens libraries.
In the entrance is the James B. Laing coin collection. To the north
of the reading room is the main stack room.

Engineering Building (1908)

This building was erected at a cost of $70,000, of which amount
$25,000 was given by Andrew Cam^e. The foimdations and the
rear extensions are built of concrete and the superstructure of brick,
and the building is fireproof throughout. It contains 7 classrooms, 5
laboratories, 6 ofl&ces for professors, and 3 drafting rooms, one of which
accommodates 100 students. It provides accommodations for the
departments of civil engineering, electrical engineering, and mechan-
ical engineering.

The main structure is three stories high, the first floor being
devoted to the uses of the electrical and mechanical departments.
The rear extensions, one story in height, furnish accommodations for
the mechanical engineering and the dynamo laboratories. On the same
level are the high-pressure boiler room and the dvil engineering labora-

Digitized by



tory for testing strength of materials. The second floor contains a
large lecture room for the use of the three departments and the class-
rooms and offices of the department of civil engineering. The third
floor is devoted exclusively to the drafting work. The design of the
drafting room is such that the light is abundant and uniformly diffused
without glare.

Chemistry Building (1910)

This building, which is occupied wholly by the department of
chemistry, is of concrete and brick two stories high with basement.

The first floor provides classrooms, a large lecture room, library,
musetun, ofl&ce, private laboratory, and lecture preparation room.
The second floor accommodates the divisions of qualitative and quanti-
tative chemical analysis and comprises two large laboratories with cor-
responding offices for instructors, two smaller laboratories for special
work, laboratory for electrochemical analysis, supply room, balance
room, hydrogen sulphide room, etc. The basement provides two large
laboratories, one for first-year chemistry and the other for fourth-year
chemistry, with balance room, combustion room, dark room, machine
room, boiler room, and large storeroom.

Entomology Building (1911)

The Entomology Building, which is about 50 by 30 feet in size,
consists of two full stories with attic and basement, and is conveniently
located near New Jersey Hall. The walls are of brick, the partitions
of hollow tile with plaster board finish, the floors of a fireproof composi-
tion, and pltunbing and wiring are exposed, thus reducing the danger
from fire to a minimtun.

The first floor provides teaching facilities, including a laboratory
room 26 by 28 feet, with modem work tables and equipment. The
second floor provides acconmiodations for the entomological work of
the State and College Experiment Stations, including laboratories,
technical Hbrary, and offices for the State Entomologist, the Entomol-
ogist to the Experiment Stations, and scientific assistants in the ento-
mological work of the State.

Provision is made for the extensive collections of the department,
and the walls are so conserved, as to afford the maximtun space for
storage purposes. Photographic rooms are provided and there is
storage room for supplies in the attic.

Digitized by



John Howard Ford Dormitory (1914)

This, the seventh building on the new northward extension of the
campus, erected at a cost of about $125,000, is the gift of the late
John Howard Ford of New York City, a trustee of the Collie. It is
constructed of hard-burned red brick with trimming of white Vermont
marble and is designed to accommodate about eighty students. The
interior is conveniently arranged in suites of studies and bedrooms.
Shower baths and dressing rooms are also provided and the central
hall contains a reception room on the main floor. (See Rooms, page 225)


With funds secured from the students, alumni, and friends of the
College a commodious boathouse has been built, conveniently situated
for the use of those interested in boating and canoeing.


Short Course Building (1906-1907)

This building, erected by a special appropriation of the State
Legislature for the use of the short courses in Agriculture, contains
large well-lighted rooms for dairy work in handling milk and cream,
for butter making, and for the retail trade; laboratories for milk test-
ing, and for horticulture, entomology, and home economics; recita-
tion rooms, and offices for the instructors.

Poultry Administration Building (1911)

The Poultry Administration Building forms a portion of the
equipment of the Poultry Department of the State Experiment Station
established by an act of the Legislature of 1911. Its large classroom
contains a poultry exhibit and is arranged for effective instruction.
The building has also pathological laboratory, isolation pens, cold-
storage room, dark room, and offices. The other buildings of the
Poultry Department include a large hollow tile incubator cellar. Mam-
moth brooder house, long laying houses, and several type houses.
There are in all 56 laying pens where 1,000 mature birds are wintered.
Representatives of twenty breeds of poultry are kept on the plant.

In 1914 a tract of 23 acres was set aside to be developed into
an experimental and educational poultry farm. Some of the buildings
of the old plant have been removed to the new location, and a corn-

Digitized by



plete equipment, comprising over 100 separate pens, for the keeping
of 3,000 la3dng hens, has been installed.

The department is directing the Vineland International Egg Lay-
ing and Breeding Contests at Vineland, New Jersey. The first of
these contests began November 1, 1916, and extended over a period of
three years, with one hundred pens of ten birds each, and an area of
about eight acres being reserved for the work. The second contest
opened November 1, 1919, with twenty birds in each pen.

Greenhouses (1908-1912)

One range of greenhouses, erected in 1908 for instruction work
in horticulture, comprises a service building 17 by 60 feet and two
sections of glass each 18 by 75 feet. This oflPers an opportunity for
practical exercises in seed testing, seed sowing, transplanting of plants,
and other greenhouse work.

During 191 1 and 1912 a large range of greenhouses, consisting of a
service building, two sections of glass 33 by 150 feet, one section 33 by
75 feet, and two sections 8 by 16 feet, was erected for investigational
work. These demonstrate the latest forms of greenhouse construction
and the investigations being conducted in them offer special oppor-
tunity for senior students in horticulture.

Horticultural Building (1920)

The State Legislature in 1919 appropriated $75,000 for the con-
struction of a horticultural building. It will be located at the CoU^e
Farm, and building operations are to begin early in the spring of 1920.
The structure will be fireproof, with two stories and basement; it
will contain classrooms and laboratories for horticultural work and
administrative offices for members of the horticultural department

Agricultural Building (1914)

An appropriation of $100,000 was made by the New Jersey State
Legislature in 1912 for the erection of a building to be used for investi-
gation and teaching work in agriculture. It was completed in October,
1914, and occupied by the departments of the College and Experiment
Stations. It is a three-story fireproof structure of brick, concrete,
and terra-cotta.

This building contains the administration offices of the Station
and of the various departments, besides classrooms and laboratories

Digitized by



for station and college work. The third floor is occupied by the depart-
ments of soil chemistry and bacteriology, plant pathology, and seed
analysis. Large, well-equipped laboratories are at the disposal of
each department. On the second floor the departments of botany
and agronomy have their oflfices and laboratories. The agricultural
library containing sets of state and government pubHcations, herd
books, books on various agricultural subjects, agricultural periodicals,
and scientific magazines, furnishes a useful and convenient place for
reference. These fadHties, with laboratories for soil physics, soil
analysis, and horticulture, and a large auditorium, with a seating
capacity of about 600, make the building well-suited for the efficient
performance of collie and experiment station work.

Dairy Bam

The dairy bam is modem in every way and exhibits all the struc-
tural features essential to the comfortable housing of a healthy herd of
cows and the production of a good quality of market milk. The dairy
herd consists of 75 animals representing the four dairy breeds and
milking Shorthorns. In the herd are individuals with the best breed-
ing that the country has produced. This bam and herd make possible
excellent courses in the breeding, feeding, and management of high-
class dairy stock and studies in sanitary milk production.

Other Buildings

Other buildings have been erected for use in the short courses,
including a i>avilion 60 feet in diameter for exhibiting and judging the
various breeds of live stock; a farm machinery building; also a carp«i-
try shop, stables, dairy buildings, silos, poultry houses, greenhouses,
tool houses, and storage rooms.

Digitized by




The Library contains 104,000 volumes and about 20,000 pamph-
lets and receives about 400 periodicals. It is open each week-day
except Saturdays and holidays, from 8 a. m. to 10 p. m., Saturdays
from 8 a. m. to 6 p. m.; holidays from 8 a. m. to 12 m. Students
are allowed free access to the books and are encouraged to become
familiar with the proper methods of using a library for literary work.

In 1887 P. Vanderbilt Spader of the class of 1849 gave to the
College his personal library, valued at $15,000 and consisting of about
5,000 books, among them many valuable art voltmies and collections
especially rich in State and local history and books of reference. By
his will the College received $10,000, the income of which is expended
for the maintenance and increase of the P. Vanderbilt Spader Library

By the gift of a permanent fund of about $10,500 from the Hon-
orable Robert H. Pruyn the Library is supplied with reference works
and periodicals. The income of other ftmds provided by James
Suydam, Esq., Mrs. Marian J. Patterson, Professor Albert S. Cook,
LL.D., of the class of 1872, and Mrs. Katherine Janeway Weston, is
used for the purchase of books in literature, language, history, and

A valuable private Hbrary of about 1,800 volvunes and the sum of
$5,000, known as the Benjamin Stephens Fund, for its maintenance
and increase, were left to the College by the will of the late Benjamin
Stephens of the class of 1844.

The James B. Laing Collection, consisting of valuable and rare
coins, together with many other specimens of coins, paper money, and
medals presented to the College by various donors, is also housed in
the Library and is on exhibition in glass cases.


Through the courtesy of the Theological Seminary of the Reformed
Church the Sage Library, containing about 54,000 volumes and 9,000
pamphlets, is open to students of Rutgers Collie for consultation


Digitized by



during each week-day from 9 a. m. to 12:30 p. m., 2 p. m. to 4:30
p. m., 7:30 p. m. to 9 p. m.; and under certain limitations books may
be drawn from it.


The Fine Arts Room contains some of the art collections of the
College, including the Thomas L. Janeway Memorial Collection of
casts and photographs. This latter collection, intended to illustrate
classical archeology, is the gift of the heirs of Thomas L. Janeway,
M.D., of the class of 1863. The room contains:

1 Casts from marbles tjrpical of the chief periods in the history
of sculpture.

2 Five himdred casts from engraved gems (cameos and intaglios)
and coins, Greek and Roman. These were selected to illustrate the
historical development of gem engraving especially in its best periods.

3 Fifteen himdred stereopticon slides of architecture, sculpture,
and painting.

4 Fifteen himdred photographs of drawings, sketches, pictures,
marbles, and buildings.

5 Many framed photographs and engravings.

6 Several oil paintings and water-color drawings.

The collections are used continually in lectures to illustrate not
only the art of the different nations but their life, literature, and social

The room is arranged for the illustration of lectures with both
transparent and opaque lantern materials.


The Henry Janeway Weston Memorial Collection, consisting of
books, engravings, and curios relating to Napoleon I, is deposited in
a room in the Ralph Voorhees Library and is available for the use of
students. This valuable collection was given by Mrs. Katherine
Weston, who also furnished the room and bequeathed a fund for main-
tenance and extension of the collection.


The equatorial refracting telescope, with an aperture of 6>^ inches,
has a driving clock, a position micrometer, a number of eye pieces of
various powers, ranging from 50 to 600, and a solar attachment for
the study of sun spots. The declination circle is 10 inches in diameter,

Digitized by



reading by verniers to 1 minute of arc, and the hour circle, T}4 inches
in diameter, reading by verniers to 6 seconds of time.

The meridian circle used for transit observations was made by
Stackpole of New York. It has an object glass 4 inches in diameter
and circles 17 inches in diameter reading by two microscopes with
micrometer screws to single seconds of arc.

The Observatory has also a sidereal clock, a chronograph, a mean
solar clock, and a reflecting circle.


The lecture apparatus comprises the usual instruments. The
laboratory contains general apparatus such as dividing engine, a set
of United States standard weights and measures, metric standards,
spherometer, planimeter, etc.; various optical instruments, including
a spectrometer and optical bench with full set of accessories; the
necessary apparatus for experiments in heat, including calorimeters,
thermoelectric pyrometer, steam engine, gasoline engine, and Callendar
apparatus; also a full set of electrometers, galvanometers, rheostats,
djmamos, motors, telephones, and telegraph instruments.


The collections for illustrating the instruction given in the civil
engineering course comprise a great variety of models showing details
of construction in wood, iron, and stone, with a full set of Schroder
and many Olivier models in descriptive geometry, besides blue prints,
working drawings, and lithographs of roof and bridge trusses. There
are also instruments of precision for various uses such as planimeters,
pantagraphs, sextants, and elipsographs. Complete outfits of engi-
neering and surveying instruments are provided for the use of students
in the survejring classes.

A laboratory for testing cement and concrete is fitted up in the
basement of the Engineering Btdlding. It is equipped with long lever
and shot testing machines, steaming and boiling apparatus, damp
closet, autoclave apparatus, mechanical rotary sieve, 20 glass mixing
tables, a special apparatus for testing the porosity of cements, and a
full line of tools and apparatus. Machines have been installed for
testing the tensile, compressive, transverse, and torsional strength of
other engineering materials; and pumps, tanks, meters, and weirs for
hydraulic experiments are also available.

Digitized by




The electrical laboratory is provided with two IS-horsepower direct-
current constant speed motors, a 7.5-horsepower adjustable speed motor,
a 6-kw. Edison direct current dynamo, a 6-horsepower Edison shunt
motor, a 4-kw. Crocker-Wheeler compound dynamo, a 5-horsepower
Crocker- Wheeler series motor; a Fort Wayne double current generator
which can be used to furnish either direct current or single-phase,
three-phase, and quarter-phase alternating current, or to convert from
alternating current to direct current or vice versa; two General Electric
7.5-kw. revolving field polyphase alternators specially designed for
laboratory use, a two-phase alternator designed and built by one of the
students, a 4-horsepower polyphase sjmchronous motor, a 5-horsepower
two-phase induction motor with auto-starter; transformers of various
tjrpes and capacities, brake and transmission dynamometers, the usual
outfit of conmiercial measuring instruments, an electro-dynamometer,
galvanometers of various types, a Kelvin double bridge, a Leeds
and Northrup standard Wheatstone's bridge, and a Leeds and Northrup
standard potentiometer for standardizing measuring instruments;
standards of electromotive force, of resistance, of self-induction, and of
capacity, an Ayrton-Perry secohmmeter, an Epstein hysteresis meter,
and a large assortment of resistance boxes and other apparatus.


The eqtnpment provided for this course belongs chiefly to the
laboratory, with emphasis upon power engineering. The list of instru-
ments and small apparatus includes pressure gages, engine indicators,
draft gages, thermometers, pyrometers, steam calorimeters, water
meters, speed indicators, etc., with provision for testing and calibrating
them, also apparatus for flue-gas analysis and for the testing of lubri-

The principal items of large equipment now in place are;

A Babcock and Wilcox boiler, rated at 135 horsepower, with all
accessories, including forced draft apparatus and Cochrane feed-water
heater, and especially arranged for the convenient conduct of boiler

A 60-horsepower high-speed Ames engine direct connected to a
35-kilowatt Crocker- Wheeler generator. This unit besides being avail-
able for testing takes the regular service of supplying current for
the dynamo laboratory.

A small De Laval steam turbine with a centrifugal pump, steam

Digitized by



pumps, injectors, and a pulsometer. With these pumps a cistern of
5,500 gallons capacity is provided under the floor, and tanks, meters,
and a weir, for measuring the water handled.

An IngersoU-Rand air compressor, and a Westinghouse com-
pressor (air brake type).

Surface condensers and accessories for making steam consump-
tion tests on all the engines.

Several gas engines for illuminating gas and liquid fuels.

The hydraulic apparatus belonging to the department of civil
engineering is mostly installed in this laboratory, and is used for work
in the senior mechanical laboratory course.

The latest additions to the laboratory are along the lines of instru-
ments, fan blowers, and some units of aeronautical equipment.


The department occupies the whole of the Chemistry Building.
The laboratories, four large well lighted rooms, are equipped in the
most modem manner. Work tables, balance rooms, and small special

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 14 15 16 17 18 19

Online LibraryRutgers UniversityCatalogue → online text (page 12 of 19)