Samuel P. (Samuel Penniman) Bates.

History of Erie county, Pennsylvania online

. (page 106 of 187)
Online LibrarySamuel P. (Samuel Penniman) BatesHistory of Erie county, Pennsylvania → online text (page 106 of 187)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

years old. He was appointed Clerk of County Commissioners, Brie Co., in 1853, remain-
ing as such till 1863, when he was elected Prothonotary of same county; after serving in
this capacity three years, he went to Washington, D. C, and clerked in the House of
Representatives till 1868, when he was elected Secretary and Treasurer of Erie Dime Sav-
ing and Loan Co. (Bank) then went to Harrisburg, Penn., as clerk in the State Treasurer's
Office and office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth till 1888, when he was appointed to
his present jjosition by President Arthur. Mr. Colton was married, in 1853, in Erie Co., to
Mrs. Benedict, whose maiden name was Adelia Shepard. They have a pleasant home in
Erie City, where they have been residing since their marriage, until Feb. 8, 1878, when Mrs.
Colton died. In early life, Mr. Colton was a Whig, but has voted with the Republican
party since its organization.


C M. CONRAD, brewer and maltster, Erie, was born in Germany, Feb. 26, 1841. His
father was at one time a Protestant clergym an in Gennany , but concluded to j oin the Catholic
Church. This being distasteful to his wife, a divorce ensued. The latter having a brother
for some years a book-keeper in Erie City, came to America and to this city with her two
sons in 1849. Our subject at that time was eight years of age. He had but three months
schooling in the common schools of Erie City; learned the brewing business and was
engaged the greater part of his life in it. He took possession of the brewery in 1863. (In
that year his step-father, Jacob Puess, died), and since that time the business has been con-
tinually increasing, so that he is about to extend the brewery buildings. Mr. Conrad was
married in 1867, in this city, to Dora DiefEenbach, a native of Erie City; eight children
were born to this union, of whom Kate, Eda, Dora, Flora and Clara are living. Our sub-
ject and wife were members of the German St. Paul's Protestant Church. She died Jan.
29, 1882, in her thirty-fourth year, greatly beloved and respected by all who knew her.
Mr. Conrad has been a member of Erie City Council; in politics, is a Republican.

JOHN CONSTABLE, retired contractor, Erie, was born in England Jan. 11, 1811, son
of Robert and Harriet (Perkins) Constable. He came to America in 1833, remaining in
Buffalo, N. Y., four years, and from there went to Fla., where he was engaged^ in the
arsenal. At the expiration of a year, he returned to Buffalo, and in 1840 came to Erie. He
at once contracted for the building of the Park Presbyterian Church, and along with Mr.
Ramsey built also the " Scott Block." These buildings are among the most prominent of
our subject's many contracts. Mr. Constable was twice married, on first occasion, in 1839,
to Elizabeth Pettit, by whom he had five children, two now living — Thomas and Washington.
George was drowned in the Ohio in 1874. Mrs. Constable dyin^ in 1835, our subject mar-
ried, in 1838, Mrs. Eliza (Culp) Reinhardt, a widow lady who had, by her first husband, one
son named William. To this union were born foiu' children, all living — Edward, Charles,
Louise and Herbert. Mr. and Mrs. Constable are members of the Baptist Church, of which
he has been Trustee. He was a City Councilor for several years; is the oldest member of
the I. 0. O. F. and Encampment. He is not at present engaged in active business, but
assists his sons who are extensively engaged in their sash, door and blind factory. Mr.
Constable had five sons in the late war. 'Thomas, one year in the navy, then in the 83d P.
V. I.; John died from disease contracted in service; William, also in the 83d P. V. I.;
Washington, in the 14.5th P. V. I., was taken prisoner and confined in Libby Prison.

MILTON COURTRIGHT was born in Susquehanna Co., Penn., in 1811. He came
to Erie in 1846, with his wife and two children, riding in a carriage tlie entire distance. He
at that time occupied the position of assistant resident engineer of the Erie E:!ftension
Canal, then building. After its completion, he occupied the position of its Superintendent,
which he filled for several years. About 1850, he formed a partnership with John A.
TraCT, and the firm became heavy contractors both in the U. S. and Canada. They built
the Erie ifc North East R. R., and were interested in a number of mammoth entei-prises.
The firm existed about ten years. Mr. Courtright was one of the original and most active
workers in building the Chesapeake & Albemarle Canal, and was for some years consult-
ing engineer of the N. Y. elevated railroads. In 1863, he was the Democratic candidate
for Congress, lacking but 500 votes of being elected, the district being at that time about
1,750 Republican. While in Virginia engaged in constructing a railroad from Norfolk to
the Atlantic coast, where he contemplated building up a watering place, he was attacked
with pneumonia, which resulted in his death Apr. 25, 1883. Mr. Courtright was educated
at Gambier College, Ohio, and was by profession a civil engineer, ranking among the best
in tlie country. He was one of the leading and most prominent citizens of Erie for many
years, and his name was a synonym for honest integrity and square dealing. Among the
older residents of Erie he was a leading spirit and his death caused a deep feeling oT re-
.gret. The surviving family consists of Mrs. Courtright, Mrs. Eben Brewer and lilrs. Dr.
R. K. Valentine, of Brooklyn, N. Y.

A. W. COVELL, attorney at law. Erie, was born in N. Y. Nov. 23, 1847, son of Will-
iam W. and Ellen E. (Barber) Covell, the former a farmer and carpenter, the latter a
native of N. Y. and of English descent. They came to Brie Co. in Jan., 1852. settling in
Concord Township. They were parents of eight children, four boys and four girls. Our sub-
ject, who was oldest in the family, acquired his education in Westfield College, from which
he graduated in 1864. At one time he followed farming pursuits and learned the carpenter
trade, but preferring the profession of law, he commenced study with Hon. C. O. Bowman
& Baker, Corry, this county. In 1870, he was admitted to the practice of law in Erie Co. ;
m 18^7^ to the U. S. Court and the SuiDreme Court. His examiners were Col. Grant, J.
Ross Thompson, C. B. Curtis and Wm. Benson. In 1871, Mr. Covell was married to
Mabel H. of English extraction, daughter of J. H. Rathburu, Warden of Erie County
Prison. Mrs. Covell is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church.

MAJ. JOHN CRAINE, wholesale and retail crockery merchant of Erie, was born in
county Cork, Ireland, on June 6, 1843 ; when ten years old he came to America with his
?'^°?cl4 V^° settled in Vermont, where he learnt the wood and marble finishing trade,
in 1857, he went to Milwaukee, Wis., following the same business there until 1863, when
he removed to Chicago, 111., where he remained until 1871. In consequence of the great


fire, the Burdett Organ Co. removed to Erie, and he came with them, and has since been
frX^'n^n^*^^ "^'°''h^?'^ I''^ ^^'''''^ industries here. In 1880, he ceksed worldng a Ws
estate hoV h?rf ^H ■^^n?''°°''""^' ^''?.'''- ' ^" ^"^^ ^'^° successfully speculated^in real
ISfiq wUh M^^^trof.*^ ^ Chicago. Mr. Craine was united in marria-e in Milwaukee, in
l« thiril^,^^^ ^l'-^ ^^^^^ *" well-educated lady, Ijorn in Limericlt, Ireland, but reared
^7 r Pp^rZ- n,T ' ™>°°,l?as been blessed with a family of four sons and two daughters,
VIZ., C. George, manager of the firm of Hanlon & Craine ; William, in mercantile business-
MrFt^.^'"'^'- ^ '^''^v'"' ^' Chestnut Hill College ; Julia, John, jk, and Owen Mr. and
Mrs Craine are members and regular communicants of the Roman Catholic Church. Since
nHtltri^^i^lkTT?"-^^^^!,* has been actively engaged in developing the public, social and
J^SpH ofnt f *?^ '«?^ M ' ^n° '".''^" ^^ '^^''"' P^-''' '"1 ™"''ary afCafrs, and was com-
missioned Capt. of the Sheridan Guards by Gov. Hartranft in 1876, serving in that capacity
until the Pittsburgh riots, when he was promoted to the position of Major of the Guards
l„r„ -i?!^; i T . ■ °l n^^^?oSl ?*'i?^'' * Craine. dealers in china, glassware and cut-
lery, Erie was born Dec. 37 1863, in Milwaukee, Wis.; son of Mai. John and Margaret

^^^J!^l T- ^*M?' °/ Y'";'-"*, ^^'i '^«''=''"'- O^'' s'^'^Ject received a good English
education, and in 1881 embarked m his present business. Mr. Hannon, our subiect's part-
ner, has been a resident of Erie for many years ; the firm are doing a good trade, and have
been successful in business. Mr. Craine is a member of the Catholic Church, and one of
the rising young men of the city.

-,. ^-P^-^^I^ 9?-^-'^P^A •'^- ^•' homoeopathic physician and surgeon, Erie, was born in
New York City,_ Oct. 16, 1851, son of John and Charlotte (Appleton) Cranch, the former a
native of Washington, D. C, the latter of Baltimore, Md., both of English descent. John
Cranch was by profession an artist, and his father, William Cranch, was Chief Justice of
the District of Columbia for fifty years, having been appointed by his uncle, Pres. John
Adams. Our subject, whose parents resided many years in Washington City, obtained his
classical education there, and graduated from Columbia University in 1871, with degree of
^ono °-'''^^^^^° graduated from the Medical Department of Georgetown Univerlitv in
187d, and was a regular graduate of New York Homoeopathic College in 1875. The Doc-
tor commenced the practice of medicine in 1871, and the same year enlisted in the V. S.
Army, and was at once appointed Hospital Steward, serving in the Surgeon General's of-
fice three years, then for one year he was in charge of the Homoeopathio Hospital of New
York. In that city he practiced till 1875, when he came to Erie City, where he has since
resided. In 1875, our subject was married, at Washington, to Rouette F. Hunt, born near
Boston, Mass., of English descent. By this union are three children— Charles E., Arthur G.
and Raymond G. Dr. and Mrs. Cranch are m<;inbers of the New Church (Swedenborgian),
of Washington, D. C. In politics, he is a Republican. He is Treasurer of the Interna-
tional Hahnemannian Association, and member of the American Institute of Homoeopathy.

CAPT. A. F. CRANE, Inspector of Erie City water works, was born in this county,
the 18th of June, 1835, son of Elihu and Nancy (Carlin) Crane, former a native of Mass ,
of Scotch descent; latter, a native of Penn., of li-ish extraction. Elihu Crane, a farmer,
came to Erie Co. in 1798; enlisted in the war of 1813; he was parent of seven children; his
father, Elihu Crane, served all through the Revolutionary war, and was wounded while
Sergeant under Gen. Washington. Our subject, fourth in the family, was educated in the
common schools of Erie City. In 1855, he was appointed to superintend tlie building of
the Pittsburgh & Erie R. R.; was married, Jan. 8, 1859, to Laura E. Stearns, daughter of
Sidney Stearns, of Fredonia, Chautauqua Co., N. Y. In 1859, was made Supt. lor O. O.
Ticknor& Co., lumber dealers in Conneautville, Crawford Co., till 1863. He enlisted the
20th of Aug., 1863, at Conneautville, Co. H, 145th P. V. I. ; was engaged in the battle of An-
tietam and. other engagements; was wounded on the 20th of Oct., 1863, in right limb at
Harper's Ferry, while on picket duty; again wounded on Dec, 12, 1863, in the charge on
Mary's Heights, Fredericksburg, and lost his left limb. It was amputated m the field hospital
Feb. 16, 1868, and again amputated at Campbell Hospital, D. C; was discharged from
there Feb. 16, 1863; engaged in boating for own account in 1863 and 1864; the spring of
1865 was employed as Supt. of Rawl Richards & Co. line of canal boats for shipping coal
and iron. Resided at Sharon, Mercer Co. ; was delegate to Republican Co. Convention at
Mercer, Penn., in 1866. In 1867, was appointed Supt. of Conneautville and Lockport Divi-
sions of Erie Extension Canal; was a resident of Springboro; remained there till close
of canal; 1871, was elected Burgess of Springboro, Crawford Co.; twice chosen delegate to
Crawford Co. Convention. In the year 1873, was candidate for Sheriff of Crawford Co.
on Republican ticket; was beaten bj' Orlando Reed bj' fortj'-four votes. In 1873, moved
to Erie; was foreman of construction of Erie Rolling Mills. The spring of 1873 was ap-
pointed Supt. of Rawl Nobles blast furnace at Erie. In 1875, was Inspector of Customs at
port of Erie. In 1877, was made inspector of Erie City Water Department, the position he
now holds. His wife, Laura B., died Nov. 15, 1880, leaving four children, three sons and one
daughter — Gertrude M., wife of L. L. Bruder; Andrew F.,Reed and Charles. Capt. Crane
is an active Republican.

JAMES P. CRAWFORD, County Treasurer, Erie, was born in North East, Penn.,
Dec 21, 1837, son of James and Mary (Rogers) Crawford, the fonner a native of Penn., of


Dutch descent, the latter of Vermont, of English lineage. James Crawford, Sr., was a far-
mer and miller; he was parent of eleven children, five surviving; his father was a soldier in
the war of 1812; his mother is now living in North East. Our subject was reared on the
farm and received a good education. At the age of sixteen he went to North East and
clerked till 1860, when he came to Brie City and re-engaged as Clerk. In 1861, he enlisted
in the 16th Penn. Cav., Company C; was appointed Quartermaster-Sergeant. In 1863,
was made Orderly Sergeant, serving as such until Sept., 1864, when he was promoted to
Second Lieut. ; and Dec. 12, 1864, to First Lieut. He was wounded at Ream's Station
Aug. 25, 1864, and was discharged July 34, 1865. Mr. Crawford was married, Sept. 1,
1869, to Helen J., daughter of M. B. Mills, a pioneer farmer of Erie Co. She is a native
of N. Y. State, of English descent. To this union were born J. Mills, Allison D.,
Harry C. and Helen M. Mrs. Crawford is a member of the Methodist Church. Our sub-
ject acted as clerk in the Prothonotary's office in Erie City from 1873 till 1880, and was
elected to his present position in 1880. In politics, he is a Republican.

JOHN CRONENBERGER, grocer. Erie, was born in Rhine-Pfalz, Germany, Feb. 8,
1828, and came to America with his people in 1833. His parents, John and Barbara Cron-
enberger, are buried in the Erie Cemetery. Their children were Jacob, Barbara, Eliza-
beth, Peter, Cornelius, Charles, Joseph (deceased); Catharine, Andrew and John, Jr.,
are living. The subject of our sketch learned the trade of molder here, and followed it
for 16 years. In 1857, he engaged in merchandising, and has been very successfully
connected with it here since. He married here, in 1851, Elizabeth Loesch, also a native of
Rhine-Pfalz. Thejr have four sous and six daughters living— George, Mary, Louisa,
Emma, Minnie, William, John, Lizzie, Annie and Charles, and have buried their second
son — Antony — in Erie Cemetery.

P. CROUCH, of the firm of Crouch Bros., proprietors of Merchant Mills, Erie City,
was born in MoKean Township, Erie Co., Penn., May 31, 1827 ; son of Ansel and Nancy
(May) Crouch, the former born in Vt., the latter in N. H., both of Welsh descent; his
father was a teacher in early life, in later life was a farmer ; he came from Clinton Co.,
N. Y., to Erie Co., Penn., in 1820, and raised a family of seven children. Subject was the
second child and oldest son ; he received a common school education ; at the age of fourteen,
he had the honor of carrying the first mail bag that passed from Erie to Edinboro, which
contained but one letter. When quite young, he learned the trade of miller, which he con-
tinued to work at till 1857, when he came to Erie. In 1858, he and his brother, 0. E.,
purchased the Fairmount Mills on Eighth street, between German and Holland, where
they continued the business which increased to such an extent that, in 1871, they found it
necessary to build, and accordingly erected a merchant mill, corner of R. R. and Holland
streets. Our subject and brother are energetic business men, employing on an average about
fifteen men. Mr. Crouch served four years as Select Councilman of "Erie City, three years of
which time he was President of the Board; served for sixteen consecutive years as a mem-
ber of the School Board of Erie City, of which he was President most of the time. He
was married in Ohio, in 1850, to Annie F., daughter of Judson Landon, and of English
descent. Mr. and Mrs. Crouch have five daughters — Emma, wife of W. S. Jenkins, an attor-
ney in Buffalo, N. Y. ; Julia ; Flora and Hattie, both attending the Wellesley College,
Wellesley, Mass.. in the senior class, and Mary, a student in the High School, tirie. Mrs.
Crouch is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Crouch started in business for himself
without a dollar, and the first $1,000 he earned, he generously gave to his father, who liad
failed in business. In politics, he is a Republican.

THOMAS CROWLEY (deceased), late Chief of Police, Erie, was born in Bast Mill
Creek, this county, May 24, 18-30 ; son of Michael and Mary (O'Neal) Crowley, the former
a native of Ireland, and the latter of Erie County, N. Y., of Irish extraction. Michael
Crowley, who was a farmer, emigrated from Ireland to America, coming to Erie County
and settling in Mill Creek Township in 1826 ; here he died Aug. 28, 1854 ; he was the par-
ent of two children, of whom Thomas is the oldest. Mary, the youngest, was accidentally
killed while riding to school on a wagon with a neighborr Our subject attended the com-
mon schools and Erie Academy ; was reared on a farm, and followed that pursuit till 1860,
when he wert into the oil business for three years. Being elected Chief of Police of Erie
City, he served as such from 1863 to 1870 ; then as private detective from 1870 to 1876, and
seven months at the "Centennial" as a detective. In 1877, wag re-elected Chief of Police.
Mr. Crowley was twice married, and had one child by each wife, viz., Michael, engineer on
P. & E. R. R., and Clara Bell, at the graded school, Erie. In politics, our subject was a

A. J. CULBERTSON, foreman painter in the E. & P. R. R. shops, Erie was born in
Buffalo, N. Y., Sept. 24, 1832, son of James and Betsy (Huntley) Culbertson, former a
native of Penn., of Scotch descent, latter of Vt. of English lineage. James Culbertson
followed the occupation of merchant tailor for many years in Erie City. Our subject came
to Erie with his parents in 1841, received his education in Erie Academy and learned his
trade, that of painter. He was engaged in mercantile business from 18.56 to 1859; went to
Colorado in 1861, remaining three years, then toMontanafor three years; then commenced
work m the E. & P. R. R. shops, this city. He has been now fifteen years so employed

CITY or ERIE. 883

eleven as foreman. Mr. Culbertson was united in marriage, in 1855, with Laura R Apple-
bee, daughter of Thomas Applebee, of Harbor Creek Township, this county. In politics
our subject IS a Republican. '^ '

SAMUEL CUMMINS, contractor and builder, Erie, was born April 5 1819 in this
city; son of James and Mary Cummins, natives of Penn., parents of eight 'children four
now hving— George; Mary, wife of J. Lytle (have eight children); Nancy, wife of J Cron-
erberg (have four children); andjames. The parents came to this county in 181^-13 settling
m Erie City, where they died. Our subject was brought up as a mason, contractor and
builder, which occupation he followed for many years; was also proprietor of a grocery
from which he is now retired. Mr. Cummins was married, July 14, 1842, to Sifiiry M.'
daughter of Daniel Hathaway, a native of N. Y. State and carpenter by trade who came
to Erie in 1833, and was the father of the following children: Edward 6 N Jane
(now Mrs. Yager), MaryM. (now Mrs. Cummins) and Sarah (now Mrs. L. Herd). Our sub-
ject and wife had a family of four children, all deceased, viz.: MaryM., Eliza J., Josephine
L. and Annie M. The last named was the wife of H. 6. "Warner; she died October 30
1880, leaving five children— Mattie, Josephine, Eliza M., Henry C. and Samuel G Mr'
Cummins is a member of the Masonic order; has filled the position of Councilman

WILLIAM C. CURRY was a native of Oil Creek Township, Crawford Co., Penn. He
came to Erie when but sixteen years of age and entered the store of his uncle, Mr. Chase,
where he remained a short time as clerk. In 1887, he took a position in the branch bank
of the U. S. at this place, first as teller and later as cashier, which position he held until
the close of the institution. In the year 1840, when the parent institution in Philadelphia
failed, he was appointed to settle the affairs of the branch in this city, in which position
he remained until the final close of the institution. He then went to Pittsburgh, Penn.,
where he entered into partnership with Joseph Hill, Esq., in the banking business, in which
he remained four years. His success in business there was such thathewould perhaps have
remained in that city during life, but for the continued ill health of himself and family.
Returning to Erie in 1848, he commenced the banking business with M. Courtright, Esq.,
which they carried on until the passage of the National Banking Law, when with others he
organized the Second National Bank of Erie, in which he was principal stockholder and
cashier up to the time of his death. He was a courteous, pleasant gentleman, possessing
remarkably sound judgment in commercial matters; and through his ability as a finan-
cier won for himself a large fortune and secured a wide and enviable reputation. Mr.
Curry was married, June 16, 1839, to Miss Jones, of Erie, by whom he had three children —
Frances, deceased; Elizabeth, wife of B. W. Russell, of Erie, and Charles, deceased. Mrs.
Curry died in Erie in Feb., 1865. Mr. Curry was killed in the accident on the Hudson
River R. R. Feb. 6, 1871.

HON. CARLTON B. CURTIS (deceased) was born in Madison Co., N. Y., Dec. 17,
1811. Having received an academic education, his talents and taste led him to select the
legal profession, and he entered the oflioe of the late Judge Mullet, of N. Y. Soon after,
he moved to Pennsylvania, and there continued his studies with D. C. Barrett, of Erie, un-
til his admission to the bar. In 1834, he settled in Warren, Penn., and engaged in the
practice of his profession. In some features of legal knowledge he was almost without
superiors, while his reading was so extensive and so carefully conducted that few jurists
had a more profound knowledge of tbe general law. In 1836, then but twenty-flve years
of age, he was sent to the Legi.slature, and in 1837, also 1838, he was re-elected to the
same position. During his term of service he warmly espoused the cause of common
schools. Upon leaving the Legislature, he resumed the practice of his profession, and was
thus occupied until 1850, when he was elected to Congress on the Democratic ticket. Upon
the repeal of the Missouri Compromise Act, in 1855, he changed his allegiance to his
former party, and became a champion of Republican principles. In 1861, when the Pres-
ident issued his call for troops, he disregarded his private interests, and directed his
energies to the recruiting of soldiers for tbe Union. His efforts created the 58th Regt.
of Penn. Vols., over which organization he was appointed Colonel. The regiment was
soon ordered to the front, and did efficient service in N. C. for a lenghty period. On ac-
count of ill-health, in 1863 our .subject resigned and returned home. Regaining his health
after a lime, he resumed practice at the bar with great success and profit. In 1872, he was
unanimously nominated and elected to the Forti'-third Congress, where he made an hon-
orable record, and served with distinction as a member of the Committee on Territories
and war expenditures. He was renominated for the Forty-fourth Congress in the "tidal
wave " year of 1874. but was defeated by Dr. A. G. Egbert, by a majority of eleven on a
total vote of 20,765. He was one of the founders of the First National Bank of Erie, and
one of the chief organizers and builders of the Dunkirk & Venango Railroad, and in all
public enterprises he was ready to co-operate. He was married, in 1835, to Sarah Ann
Sargent, of Warren, Penn.', and died March 17, 1883. His remains were Interred in the
family lot at Warren, Penn.

JOHN C. CURTIS, train dispatcher for the P. &. E, R.R., was born in Detroit, Mich.,
in 1853, and is a son of Josepli and Maria A. Curtis, who came to this country 50 years
ago. Our subject came to Erie with his pt ople in 1857 and wasreared to his present occu-


Online LibrarySamuel P. (Samuel Penniman) BatesHistory of Erie county, Pennsylvania → online text (page 106 of 187)