Samuel W Durant.

History of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 106 of 192)
Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 106 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


77


-■■ ■ 1 1 B 1


\m



DOMiNICK



ST



S7 5049



47 4S 45^4i\\^2-4^ Ai



■ ■



"ffs



Co ^s t^H^ L





"DOMINICK STREET — NORTH SIDE.

"No. 1. — Prior to 1810, a large, square frame dwelling occupied
the site on which stands the present residence of H. K. White. The
southeast corner of the fort had been leveled off, and that dwelling
erected thereon by Dominick Lynch very early in the present cen-
tury. It was occupied by his son James j it was burned about 1824.

"No. 2. — In the southwest corner of the lot was the land-office of
Mr. Lyneli, now a part of the dwelling of Patrick Martin, near there.

"No. 3. — Fort Stanwix originally extended' through from Domi-
nick Street to what is now Liberty Street, and the block-house was
in the centre (about where Dr. Kingley's bard isj. The ditches
around the fort were near Dominick, Liberty, and Spring Streets,
and the west ditch close up to the house where H. M. Lawton resides
(formerly Judge Foster's house), and the wing of that house was
erected where the ditch was. We give the fort on the map as it
looked when erected, although it should be borne in mind that it
originally embraced the site covered by the Lynch house.

"No. 4. — Prior to 1800, part of the house spoken of as Judge
Foster's house was erected on that site by Cicero Gould as a tavern.
It was used as such for many years, and old persons have informed
us they remembered the time when the sheds and fence extended
across the street at that point. The house was afterwards enlarged.

"No. 5. — In 1794 George Huntington erected a small frame dwel-



. M. Davis is, was a lane, or alley,



about where the jewelry-store of M.
leading to the rear.

"No. 8.— Just west of the above lot was the 'White Lot,' em-
bracing what is now the ' Empire Block.' Next to the alley, and on
the cast end of the 'White Lot,' was ' White's Hotel.'

"No. 9.— On the west end of the ' White Lot,' where N. P. Rudd's
store is, was a small frame dwelling, occupied before 1820 by Stephen
White. Between this dwelling and 'White's Hotel' (erected by
Stephen White's father) was an alley, or lane, running to the rear,
where Stephen White had a wagon-shop. That alley was about
where J. B. Tyler's store now is.

"Next west of the 'White Lot' was the 'Starr,' or 'Hubbard,'
Lot. That lot extended west so as to include a part of the land now
occupied by C. F. Greene's drug-store. Where R. T. Walker's store
now is, Mr. Starr, as early as 1804, erected a frame dwelling. Jon-
athan B. Brainard did the carpenter work, and Oliver Greenwood,
who had u, shop on Liberty Street, near where Dr. Scudder now re-
sides, made all the nails used in the building. Stephen Hubbard
afterwards owned the premises.

"No. 11. — Where C. F. Greene's drug-store is there was a small
7 by 9 frame building. Francis Bicknell, in 1816, bought out a man
whose name is not remembered, but who then kept a jewelry shop
there, and had for some time previous, and Mr. Bicknell then occupied
it. That structure not long since was opposite Mr. Bissell's residence.



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



383



*' No. 12,— The next lot west was ' Bill Smith's.' It embraced part of
the lot covered by Mr. Greene's drug-store, and the other etorca of W.
Atkinson and R. Keeney. In 1793, John Barnard built a small frame
one-story tavern on the site now occupied by Mr. Atkinson's store.
Bill Smith, about 1810, owned the premises, and converted the tavern
into a store. Fifteen years later it was changed into the ' Checkered
Store,' and enlarged. Staire were then made on the east and west ends,
outside, so as to go to the offices overhead.

"No. 13. — On the west end of 'Bill Smith's lot,' and where R.
Keeney's store is, a small frame building stood as early as 1810. It
was after that used for a saddler's shop, and before 1S25 the late Jay
Hatheway kept store there. Just west of that store was an alley,
running to the rear of the lot. That alley is about where the store
of Archer A Snyder now is.

" No. 14, — Just west of that alley was a two-story frame building,
gahle end to the street. It was erected about 1810, by Alex. Lynch,
for a store. It was afterwards known as the ' Hollister Store,' It
occupied the sites now occupied by the drug-store of George Scott and
the shoe-stoi"e of G. T. Jones.

" No. 15. — About where the office or bar-room of the Willett House
is William Boden had a chair-shop as early as 1820, in a small 7 by9
frame building. The building had been there some time before.

*' No. ]C. — In 1804, Nathaniel Mudge, Sr., lived in a small frame
house which then stood between the Willett House site and the old
Bank of Rome. There Alva Mudge was born in the above year. A
few years after, that building was removed to the site on Liberty Street
now occupied by the residence of Edward Huntington, and where
Zelotus Lord, the * village shoemaker,' resided for many years.

" No. 17. — On the sites of the 'Spencer Hall Block,' and the stores
of R. Dunning, James Walker, and Peter Toepp, stood a long double
frame house, known as the 'Long House.' B. B. Hyde and Benjamin
Wright owned the house, and resided there before 1S20. It was erected
by John Barnard about 1800.

" No. 18, — Mr. Sweatman erected a small frame structure about 1 810,
on the site now occupied by Evans' meat-shop. Mr. Sweatman used
it for a harness-shop. In that building the Oneida Oheeroer was pub-
lished in 1S18, by E. Dorchester,

" No. 1 9.— On thecomor of Washington and Dorainick Streets, where
B, W, Williams has his marble-works, Caleb Hammill erected a frame
dwelling before the war of 1812, and resided there; after him Reuben
Hoag occupied the premises for a blacksmith-shop.

"No, 20. — In ISIO and earlier, Marinus W. Gilbert lived in a small
frame house on the site now occupied by the Pritchard Block.

"No. 21. — The 'Grosvenor Lot' was next west; on the east end,

Chauncey Filer, before ISIO, erected the dwelling known in later years

as the * Grosvenor House' (now a part of Mrs. Stevens' boarding-house).

" No. 22, — On the west end of the 'Grosvenor Lot,' Mr. Filer erected

his carp enter -shop, — a building afterward used as a dwelling.

"No. 23. — The old double house eaves to street (on ' Purdon Lot'),
y^t there, was erected as early as 1804, Mrs, Bradley (sister of Luke
Frink) resided there in 1817, but who before that we could not ascer-
tain,

" No. 24. — On the site now occupied by the residence of Charles
Northup, a small frame dwelling itood as early as 1810. John Lewis,
father of L. L. Lewis, resided there in 1817, but who before him we
cannot learn.

"No. 25. — On the west end of John Hook's lot, a small frame
house stood about 1800. Mr. Elliott lived there in 1810, and after
him Elijah Sncll.

** No. 26. — Where the house of H. W. Barnes now is, a small red
frame dwelling was erected soon after 1800. Simon Matteson lived
there before 1820, but who before him our old residents don't know.
There was a dwelling east and one west of this building, but whether
as early as 1810 we could not learn.

"nOMINICK STREET — SOUTH SIDE.

"No. 27. — A frame blacksmith shop, in the war of 1812, stood
just west of what is now Black River Canal (then feeder of Inland
Canal). The first one who worked there, as our oldest residents
remember, was Asa Holden, father of E. B. Holden, Turin, Lewis
Co.; after him, and before 1820, Lyman Briggs. It stood opposite
the Lynch House.

" No, 28. — On the west end of the blacksmith lot was a small frame
tenement, occupied by Mr. Holden, and afterward by Mr. Briggs.

"No. 29. — On the site now occupied by the house of the late Geo.



Barnard stood a small frame house, where Elisha Burrows (father of
Captain Orange Burrows) resided in the war of 1812. Who before
him, no one now living remembers.

" No. 30. — -Next west, and the house is there yet, was Luke Frink'B
residence. He built it as early as 1810, and resided there as many as
twenty years, and was a well-known Roman. The house is now oc-
cupied by Mr. Besley.

"No. 31. — Next west was a sixty-six foot lot, leased in 1798 to
Rufus and Joseph Easton. Afterwards, and in August, 1890, a. man
by the name of Samuel Edes lived in a small frame dwelling, and he
mortgaged the premises to Samuel Starr, at above date. Numa
Leonard owned that building, and used it for a hat-shop, and the
room overhead for a justice office, near sixty years ago. It was sub-
sequently changed into a dwelling, and is now occupied- by Mrs.
Servey. It now stands on Luke Frink's lot.

"No. 32. — The next building west, as early as 1810, was a small
tenement on the site now occupied by the residence of C. E. Saulpaugh,
and is the kitchen part of that house. Tradition says it was sixty-five
or seventy years ago a store. Numa Leonard resided there, and before
1820 built the front or upright part.

" No. 33. — On the site where Dr. Flandrau resides, Robert Dill lived
before 1800, and probably built the old part (since torn away). Henry
Huntington bought of Robert Dill in 1807, and erected the house now
there.

" No. 34. — Very near where the alloy is, between the Opera-llouse
and Hill Block, stood, as early as 1804, a two-story frame building.
It was occupied in 1810 by James Sherman (father of Mrs. Judge
Foster).

"No. 35. — Before 1800 John Barnard erected on the site of Pell &
Co.'s hardware store a frame dwelling, and resided there for a while.
It was used as a store by Bill Smith about 1814, and about 1823 it
was added to and converted into a tavern.

" No. 36. — About 1808 Gurdon Huntington kept a store in a frame
building which then stood where the First National Bank is. It was
a sort of lean-to to ' Rome CoflFee House.'

" No. 37. — 'Rome Co£fee-House' was a tavern erected before 1800,
on the sites of the stores of E. H. Shelley and H, W. Mitchell. It was
a three-story building, with, a wing or lean-to on each side. Solomon
Rich kept that tavern in 1800.

" No. 38. — On the site now occupied by drug-store of G. N. Bissell &
Co., stood very early in the present century a small red frame tenement,
one story high. Jay Hatheway kept store there as early as 1814, but
who before him no one now remembers,

"No. 39. — Where the store of J. D. Ely now is, a two-story frame
building was erected soon after 1800, and occupied before 1810 by Dr.
Mathew Brown for a drug-store ; afterward by Stephen Hubbard for a
store, he having his residence on the opposite side of the street (' No.
10'). West of this store was an alley.

" No. 40. — Where the bakery of Mr. Cheney is, and west of above
alley, was a small frame tenement, occupied soon after the war of 1S12
by Miss Marsh (she who was afterwards Mrs. Ardon Seymour), as a
millinery-shop. It was probably erected by Dr. Brown or Mr. Hubbard.
About 1820 there was a small frame building where G. J. Leach's store
is, then used by Dr. A, Blair as his office and drug-store; but as we
cannot learn that it stood there as early as 1819, we have not got it down
on our map,

" No. 41. — The next building west was on the site now occupied by
Spencer, White & Co.'s store. It was a story and a half frame building
with a lean-to, next to alley, built by John Bernard about 1800, and
occupied in 1804 by the late William Wright as a store.

" No. 42. — As early as 1799, a frame building stood on the grounds
now occupied by the stores of Miner & Sons and T, L. Kingsley. It
was known as the ' McGrath House.' In that year the Columbian
Gazette was published in that building. In 1807, Deacon Elijah Wor-
thington purchased the premises, which also included the ground now
occupied by the store of J. C. Smith. Our old residents describe that
house of sixty and more years ago as a two-story, eaves to the street,
a door and hall in the centre of the building.

" No. 43. — On the west end of above lot, and where J. C. Smith's
now is, Mr. Worthington (who was a hatter), in 1810, erected a small
frame building for a hat-shop.

" No. 44. — West of above lot, and on the site now occupied by the
store of W. Willard Smith, Nathaniel Mudge, Sr., erected, in 1804, a
story and a half frame building for a tin-shop. It was used in the
war of 1812 as a recruiting office. West of this lot was an alley.



384



HISTOKY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



"No. 45. — Where the store of Williams &, Edwards now is was a
small frame tenement occupied as a dwelling near sixty years ago by
Ephraim Shepherd, and after, for many years, was Judge Roberts'
office. Who used it before Mr. Shepherd no one now can tell.

" No. 46. — On the site of the ' Tremont House' stood a two-story
frame dwelling, with a wing on the east. The oldest inhabitants
remember that a Dr. Alden resided there about 1816, and Judge
Beardsley about 1810. It was quite an old house when first remembered.

"No. 47. — Not far from ISOO, a two-story frame dwelling, large
enough for four families, and called the ' Catterfield House,' stood on
the site now occupied by the Hammann &, Benner Block. It was built
and owned by Caleb Putnam. It was torn down by a mob about
1827.

"No. 48. — The Ethridge Corner was leased to Michael Frost before
1800, and Nathaniel Mudge, about 1810, lived in a story and a half
frame dwelling on that corner. David Warner resided there afterwards.

"No. 49. — Before 1816, Mr. Cooley lived in a small frame house on
' Peggs' place,' and had a gunsmith-shop in the rear. The bouse was
there years before that.

"No. 50. — Next to Peggs' place was a 7 by 9 frame tenement, used
by Parker Halleck as his tailor-shop as early as 1812. It was in that
building the first regular Sabbath-school of Rome was started.

" No. 51. — Parker Halleck lived in the house now occupied by W.
C. Purdy. That house was there before 1800, is strongly built of
yellow pine, and wrought nails were used in its construction.

" No. 52. — Where the double frame house is, near the brick block of
Dr. West, a small frame tenement stood about 18U0, erected by John
Barnard. The first resident there, as now remembered, was Tockle
Hempstreet (grandfather of General Hempstreet). That was about
1815.

" Between ' 51* and ' 52' were two or three small frame tenements at
an early day; but our oldest residents can't place those buildings there
before 1810.

"JAMES STREET.

"No. 5.3. — Opposite the Armstrong Block, and near the canal, Caleb
Putnam resided in a frame dwelling as early as 1800. His tannery
and grounds covered the site between that house and where the rail-
road now is.

" No. 54, — On the corner where Stanwix Hall is, N. Mudge, Sr.,
before 1812, had a grocery-store in a small red frame building, fronting
on James Street, and extended back on what is now Whitesboro' Street.

" No. 65 — On the rear end of the Stanwix Hall lot, fronting towards
the canal, a double frame house stood seventy years ago; it wa^ occupied
by Judge Dill, and afterward by N. Mudge. It stood a few years ago on
the norih bank of the old canal, a little east of South James Street.

"No, 56. — Where C. B. Saulpaugh's store is, John Barnard, about
1800, erected a two-story frame building 40 by 50 feet, with piazza in
front. It was kept as a tavern in 1812, by Benjamin Hyde, Sr., and
called 'Farmers' Hotel.'

" No. 57. — Opposite ' Farmers' Hotel' was the frame store of George
and Henry Huntington, standing there from 1800 to 1850. There were
no other buildings on James Street (except 'No. .35') between that
store and Dominick Street.

" No, 58. — A small frame tenement stood, before 1810, not far from
the insurance-office of Smith, Pond & Co. It was occupied in 1814 by
Judge Wardwell as a law-office, and after that by Foster and Hayden.
Our oldest residents don't remember back of Judge Wardwell's occu-
pancy.

" No. 59. — The ' Huntington School-House' stood on or near the site
of the meat-shop of G. Petrie, and was erected about 1800. It was a
frame one-story building, with chimney in the centre of the room.

" No. 60. — On the corner of Nellis' livery, George Huntington's
frame barn stood seventy years ago.

"No. 61. — Where the butcher-shop of Winkelmeyer is, David I.
Andrus had a meat-shop in a 7 by 9 frame structure, as early as 1804,

" No. 62. — David I. Andrus lived, in 1S04, on the site of Judge
Roberts' house, and in what is now the kitchen part of that dwelling.

" No. 6-3. — The house where Jesse Walsworth resides was erected
about 180'7, by the late William Wright.

"No. 64. — On the site of 'Elm Row,' Joshua Hathaway erected a.
two-story double frame house, opposite Judge Robei-ts'. That house
was erected before, or very soon after, 1800. It now stands on George
Street.

"No. 65. — Near the site now occupied by Knowlton's saloon "wns a



small frame tenement, used by Mr. Hathaway as his office and post-
office for thirty years.

"No. 66. — The house on Dr. Ssudder's lot, corner of Liberty and
James Streets, Amos Flint erected about 1810.

"No. 67. — Next to it, north, was a small frame house, occupied as
early as 1810 by Ashbel Anderson.

"No. 67i. — There was another small house next north, occupied
fifty years ago by Lansing Wall, a tailor. The corner, where Geo.
Merrill resides, was built upon by Mr. Soper at an early day, but
whether that house was built before 1810 we could not learn.

" No. 68. — The house on the corner of Park Alley and East Park
was erected by Russell Bartlett as early as 1810.

"No. G9. B. B. Hyde resided in the house on East Park, where

A. H. Brainerd resides, as early as 1811, but who before him we
can't tell.

"No. 70. — The First Church (or Presbyterian) was erected in 1S07-8.
It was a large frame building, and a few years ago stood on the site of
the Court Street Methodist Episcopal Church, and was burned down.
Bffore its erection the society worshiped sometimes in Seth Ranny's
barn, sometimes in the school-house, sometimes in Gould's tavern
(No. 4), nnd sometimes in Geo, & H. Huntington's store (No. 57).
It had no regular place of worship until after 1807.

"No. 71, — The 'school-house' in Rome stood, in 1800 and 1810,
in the southeast corner of West Park, and it was there where courts
were held in Rome until the Court-House was erected in 1806. It
was a high, square, frame building, with *bip roof.'

" No* 72. — The'Tryon House,' on James Street, near the West
Park, was erected about 1807 by Festus Clark, Chauncey Tiler being
the carpenter.

" No 72i. — A two-story house stood on the grounds of G. W.
Pope's late residence as early as 1810. The father of Asa Graves
resided there near fifty-five years ago. It was old then.

"liberty street.

"Fifty years ago there was a tin-shop of Sylvester Wilcox's where
E. B. Armstrong resides; but as we could not learn as it was there
in ISIO, we have not marked it down on our map.

"No. 7.3. — On the west end of E. B. Armstrong's lot, fronting on
Liberty Street, were two small houses, both old fifty years ago.
Josiah Dickerson lived in the east one.

"No. 74, — Sylvester Wilcox lived in the west one.

"No. 75. — A small, yellow frame building over sixty years ago
occupied the site where D. P. McHarg's brick residence now is. It
was an old building then. Mrs. Alden resided there before 1820, but
who before her is not remembered.

" No. 76. — Before 1810, a frame dwelling stood on the site now OC"
cupied by Wheeler Armstrong's residence. Dr. Blair lived there in
1810, and erected a wing to it.

"No. 77. — About 1810, Gurdon Huntington resided in a story and
a half frame house on the site now occupied by the residence of B.
N. Huntington. That building is now on Washington Street, the
residence of Dr. Cowles. It is stated that Mr. Gilbert erected the
house about or soon after 1800.

"No. 78. — Where the residence of Mr. Edward Huntington now is,
stood, in 1810, the frame tenement (' No. 16') which had been re-
moved from Dominick Street.

"No. 79. — Near the residences of S. W. Mudge and Dr. Scudder,
Oliver Greenwood had -i blacksmith-shop as early as 1805. (See
'No. 10.')

"No. 80. — As early as 1810, Oliver Greenwood lived in a two-story
frame house on the site of the present residence of S. W, Mudge.

" A building stood on the corner of James Street and Floyd Road,
where Mrs. Bellamy resides, at an early day, but whether before 1810
or not we could not learn. It was once occupied by Timothy -Tervis,
father of J. B, Jervis; also a dwelling (John Wentworth's house) on
the site of John G. Bisscll's residence, on Floyd Road. John Barnard's
tavern was erected before 1793, on or near the site of the old Baptist
Church, but we can't learn as it stood there in 1810. The State
Arsenal stood on the site of the Catholic Church in ISIO, and a small,
old house stood on the brow of the hill near there, occupied some fifty
years ago by Daniel Matteson. The foregoing are not on our map, as
few, if any were in use in 1810 as we can learn, except the State
Arsenal. Thomas Ycazie lived, not far from 1810, on the site now
occupied by the residence of J. J. Armstrong, on what is now Liberty
Street; he had a wagon-shop just west of his house. As it could not



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



385



be ascertained whether Mr. Veiizie resided there before 1810, those
buildings are not down on our map. To go to his house at an early
day was like driving into an open lot. Old-fashioned hay-scales, fifty
years ago, stood in what is now the street in front of his house."

In 1828 some of the pickets and the block-house of old
Fort Stanwix remained, the latter much decayed and full
of bullet-holes. Nelson Dawley, now of Annsville, had the
contract for leveling down and clearing away the block-
house and the western portion of the fort, preparatory to
the erection in that year of a dwelling by Wheeler Barnes.
This house, now occupied by Alva Mudge, stands near the
southwest corner of the fort, and the large elm-tree at
the west window was but a small sapling in 1804, said to
have stood on the parapet. One of the men employed in
leveling down the fort was John Healt. It is said that
many wagon-loads of cannon-balls were dug out and drawn
away, also that at some depth in the ground bars of lead
were found piled crosswise. Could the fortification have
been left as it stood, and the site converted into a park, the
citizens of Rome would have before thom to-day the only
important work in all the colonies which never fell into the
hands of an enemy during the Revolution ; but the hand
of the destroyer was unstayed, and it was cleared away.
Upon its site are erected beautiful and costly residences,
and the grounds have been elegantly and tastefully laid out,
yet there is scarcely an inhabitant of the place but wishes
the fort had been preserved as a reminder of the trying
scenes of " a hundred years ago." Fort Bull, to the west-
ward, on Wood Creek, has fared better, and may yet be
seen in perfect outline, and almost as fresh as if constructed
within comparatively a few years.

During the exciting period of the French Revolution
many of the citizens of France fled for safety to America,
and stayed until the trouble was over. Among those who
came to this country, and in the course of their travels
found themselves in the then infant village of Rome, were
Talleyrand, the famous statesman, and Volney, the his-
torian. The wife of George Huntington, and mother of
Edward Huntington, Esq., now of Rome, entertained these
distinguished guests at her house in the absence of her
husband, and often mentioned the fact afterwards. It is
possible that Mr. Huntington met them at some other time
and place, but it is uot known at present whether he
became acquainted with them.

Another notable event in the history of the village was
the visit of the Marquis de Lafayette, in 1825, during his
tour of the country. At a meeting of the village trustees,
April 21, 1825, it was

" Renolvcd, That the following gentlemen compose a committee on
the part of the village to receive General Lafayette on his arrival
here, viz., Joshua Hathaway, Henry Huntington, George Hunting-
ton, Bill Smith, and William Wright.

"Resolved, That the Trustees of the village be a committee to
make arrangements for his reception."

The general, on his arrival, debarked in the evening near
the United States Arsenal, from the packet on which he
was going east, and was escorted to the " American House"
by a procession bearing tallow candles ! He held a lovee
at the arsenal and another at the " American," after which
he boarded the canal packet at the " Mansion House," and



Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 106 of 192)