Samuel W Durant.

History of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 131 of 192)
Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 131 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Kirkland and Rome, the directors proceeded to let the contract for
building the road, on the 28th of October, 1870, to Willis, Phelps A Co,
The road was completed in the fall of 1871, It was then leased to the
New York and Oswego Midland Railroad Company, and said lease
was guaranteed by the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company, The
cost of building the road was $370,000 ; and it is rented for $25,000
per annum, payable every six months,"

CEMETERIES,

The first death in Kirkland, and the place of burial, have
been mentioned. No record is found of the time when that
locality was first designated as a burial-ground ; but Bar-
tholomew Pond, in the spring of 1796, who then owned
what is known as the Royce farm, made a donation to
"The Society of Clinton," of one' acre of land, " to be used
as a burying-yard." This was accepted, and that lot is now
the southeast portion of the old cemetery. About 1805
the cemetery was enlarged by the addition of the northern
and western parts, which were deeded to the society by
Samuel Royce.

An act for the incorporation of Rural Cemetery Associ-
ations was passed by the Legislature in 1847. In July,
1854,f a meeting of the citizens of Clinton was held for the

9 The several branches of this road are now known as the Utica and
Clinton, Utica, Clinton and Binghamton, Rome and Clinton, and
Utica and Chenango Divisions of the Delaware, Lackawanna and
Western Railway.

t The call for this meeting was published June 30, 1854.



purpose of discussing the propriety of organizing a new
cemetery association, with the view of choosing a different
location as a burial-place. An association was formed,
twelve trustees elected, and measures were immediately
taken for carrying out its wishes. The grounds now form-
ing the " Clinton Cemetery" were chosen ; a subscription of
$2250 was raised ; the site was purchased for $3220, of
which $1220 was paid from the subscription, and the bal-
ance of $2000 remained on bond and mortgage, to be paid
at the convenience of the association. These grounds com-
prise about 28 acres, and have been laid out in elegant de-
signs and made one of the most beautiful of the pleasing
spots with which the village is surrounded. They were ded-
icated Sept. 9, 1856, at which time an introductory address
was delivered by Hon. 0, S, Williams, and a dedicatory
speech by Prof Edward North, of Hamilton College. The
care of the old cemetery was transferred, in May, 1862, by
the trustees of the " Society of Clinton," to those of the
new cemetery.

MILITARY.

The town of Kirkland was settled by a class of patriotic
men. Many of them had borne arras in the long struggle
with Great Britain for the independence of the colonies,
and their courage was a second time demonstrated in their
emigration into the wilderness, with only savage men and
beasts for neighbors, and the work of developing a new
country as their portion. Their sons, inured to hardships,
took up the gage of the haughty Briton again in 1812, and
battled for the continuance of freedom. When, in later
years, the fiery-tempered sons of the south-land raised their
hands in murderous and unprovoked anger against their par-
ent country, the hardy descendants of Revolutionary patriots
in the north arose in their might, and hurled back the treach-
erous offspring to destruction, Kirkland bore no mean part
in the strife, as the many vacant chairs and empty sleeves
too well attest.

As far as is now possible to learn, the following persons
among the early settlers of the town were those who served
as compatriots of Washington : Captain BuUen, Captain
Moses Foot, Captain Look, Andrew Blanchard, Charles Bar-
tholomew, Phineas Bell, Eli Bristol, Samuel Bingham, Nu-
raan Blodgett, John Bullen, John Blunt, David Comstock,
Samuel Curtiss, Thomas Goodsell, Ozias Marvin, Stephen

Markham, Barnabas Pond, Philemon Trowbridge,

Smith, Stillman, - 20.

The veterans of 1812 were the following, viz. : Captain
Isaac Benedict, Captain Orrin Gridley, Lieutenant Samuel
Comstock, Ensign Orange Foot, William Anderson, Lester
Barker, John Crocker, Horace Foot, Silas Foot, Orasmus
Gleason, Naaman Goodsell, James Groves, Thomas Hart,
Franklin Hickox, George Hiokox, Silas T. Ives, Henry
Kellogg, William, Marvin, Noble Morse, Chester Parmelee,
Phineas Pearl, James D, Stebbins, — 22. In 1814, Lieu-
tenant Samuel Comstock was promoted to the rank of ad-
jutant-general.

Upon the breaking out of the Rebellion great excitement
was manifested in this town.

" A large meeting of citizens was held at the Clinton House, April
24, 1861, at which stirring speeches were uttered and patriotic resolu-
tions were passed, and subscriptions made for the benefit of volunteers



470



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



and their familieB, Soon afterwards military companies were formed
in tiiis neighborhood, which received many recruits from Clark's Mills,
Healey's Mills, Clinton, and Hamilton College. National flags were
thrown out from school buildings, church-spires, and from many pri-
vate houses. Clergymen preached often and earnestly upon the
paramount duty of sustaining the government in the great struggle
already begun. The ladies organized benevolent societies for pro-
viding clothing and other comforts for the soldiers. These articles
were sent on from time to time to the seat of war, and contributed
much to the health and happiness of the young men from Kirkland.
As the war progressed from year to year, and new supplies of fighting
men were called for by the President, bounties were offered by the
town to all volunteers, amounting at one time to $300 for each sol-
dier. These bounties were raised by taxation."*

The following is a list of those who enlisted from this
town, under the several calls of the President, during the
four years from April, 1861, to April, 1865 : Edward W.
Avery, United States Navy ; Thomas Aitkins, 146th
Infantry ; William Aitkins, 146th ; Sidney M. Abbott, 36th
Illinois ; A. M. Abbott, Emory Abbott, Newell J. Abbott,
Amos P. Armstrong, llTth Now York Infantry; Richard
Armstrong, James M. Adams, Henry Anderson, John Ayer,
Charles G. Ashley, 146th, died in Andersonville prison ;
John Ackerman, 26th Infantry ; James Armstrong, John
S. Athem, Jacob Allen, Edward Allen, Benjamin Bates,
26th Infantry ; Daniel N. Blanchard, 146th ; Peter Blake,
sergeant, 146th ; William L. Bartholomew, captain, 117th ;
James Baxter, 101st ; James C. Bronson, colonel, 57th ;
John Bryden, Jr., 117th ; M. C. Bryden, 26th; Charles
Brown, 14th ; L. D. Button, Dr. A. N. Brockway, sur-
geon ; George A. Bartholomew, corporal, killed at Fort
Fisher; Levi Bass, 117th, wounded ; Jeremiah Bass, 26th;
Julius Bennett, 117th ; Seymour Bennett, Charles Ben-
nett, George Bradley, 117th, killed in service ; John Bodis,
Peter Bice, Charles A. Butts, Peter Burns, 26th ; 0. D.
Benjamin, 26th ; Alonzo Burrill, Francis Budd, Samuel
A. Budd, H. M. Byron, Henry Carr, died in service ;
Archibald Carr, Samuel Catlin, 14th ; Charles Catlin,
146th ; William Campbell, 146th ; Albert Camp, 8th New
York Cavalry ; Willard Camp, H7th ; James CiSey, 57th ;
Frederick Cabot, Isaac Chapman, 146th ; Nathaniel F.
Clark, 0. B. Cooley, 26th ; James B. Crossman, 97th,
killed in service ; Michael Conlon, Robert Conick, 26th ;
David Covil, John Coyle, Percival Crumb, William Crumb,
146th, died in service; Jesse Curtiss, 101st; Oscar W.
Dayton, Bates' Battery ; John Demarse, 57th ; James Deans,
Richard Dillow, 146th; Patrick Doyle, John Donnelly, 57th;
Michael Donavan, John Duffy, Patrick Duffy, William Dun-
ster, 117th; John D. Ernst, sergeant, 117th; Robert W.
England, sergeant, 146th, killed at Gettysburg ; Francis
A. England, 146th ; Charles Elphick, 35th ; Owen Fay,
Patrick Fay, 101st; Samuel Farrington, 146th; James
Farley, 4th Artillery ; Christian Finian, 57th ; Eugene
Ferry, 8th; Ephraim French, 146th ; Godfrey Fredericks,
146th ; Walter Fogus ; Henry Fuller, djed ; Frederick J.
Fuller, 14th; Richard Flynn, 117th, killed in service;
Frank Garland, 61st; Thomas Gainerd, Martin Green,
Charles Grinnell, 101st; Frederick A. Griffin, 57th, died
in service; William Griffin, Henry Gridley, Henry Goodfel-
low, John T. Goodfellow, 146th ; B. F. Goodman, Albert
Goodman, 57th ; William Goodman, Charles C. Gruman,

» Gridley.



sergeant, 117th, wounded; Lorin Hassan, Charles Hallam,
Caleb Haywood, 117th, died in service; Edward Harring-
ton, sergeant, 117th; Jeremiah Harrington, James Harring-
ton, 57th ; William Hannegan, 3d Artillery ; Michael
Hannegan, James Hannegan, Augustus Haver, 12th; Wm.
H. Healey, John M. Harrison, Charles Habersham, Samuel
Heaoox, Charles Heucox, Joseph Herder, 57th ; Thomas
Hill, Samuel Hill, John Hill, 57th ; N. B. Hinckley, ser-
geant, 117th, died in service; Adam Holt, Porter J. Ho-
mer, Henry Howard, Colored Regiment; Alonzo Howe,
died in service; Lester Howe, Samuel E. Homes, 117th,
died in prison ; F. H. Hubbard, Thomas Huntley, Samuel
Hyde, 146th ; Frank Ingraham, 146th ; George H. Ives,
14th; John Jackson. 146th; Farrar Jackson, 146th, killed
in service; Martin Jenkins, 117th; S. Jones, Charles
Johnson, Thomas Johnson, 146th ; Daniel Kennedy, 57th ;
Hartwell Kenyon, 117th, died in service; Charles H. Ken-
yon, 117th; George W. Kellogg, E. O. Kinne, Bates'
Battery; Ralph T. Kirkland, 146th; John Kirkwood,
Michael Kilmurry, 16th Artillery; William H. Lathrop,
colonel, 39th Ohio, killed in service; Charles Lathrop,
117th; Joseph Lathrop, 57th; John C. Lathrop, Francis
Lapham, 8th Cavalry ; Nelson Linebeck, Henry Loomis,
captain, 146th ; Austin Lord, 146th ; James Lord, 146th ;
Orrin C. Lucas, Albert W. Lucas, Patrick Ludlow, Thomas
H. Lyman, Charles P. Mahan, 146th ; George W. Man-
ning, 101st; John D. Marsh, N. B. Marsh, 57th ; John
MacBride, 14th ; Paul McCluskey, 26th ; N. M. Mac-
Queen, James Maxted, 14th ; Hiram MacEntee, 146th ;
Emmett MacEntee, 57th ; Charles Markham, Thomas
Mercer, Henry H. Miller, corporal, 117th, wounded at
Petersburg; Samuel Miller, 117th; David Miller, 146th;
George Miller, 26th ; Frank Miller, 146th ; John Miller,
Oscar P. Miner, 10) st; Gary C. Miner, 26th ; Edward
Morgan, Augustus Mosher, Francis Mooney, 8th Cavalry,
killed ; Patrick Morgan, 57th ; Wesley B. Munger,
Levi Munger, died in service ; Edward Murphy, cor-
poral, 117th, killed; Neenan, Michael Nolan,

Northrop, William N. Owston, Bates' Battery ; R. D.

Patten, 26th; Benjamin Pratt, P. Pratt, George

W. Payne, 57th ; David H. Payne, James Pegan, For-
dyoe Phelps, 146th; George W. Pearl, 117th; Thomas
Petch, Valentine Peters, lieutenant, 26th ; Arthur Phillips,
Austin M. Pixley, Isaac P. Powell, major, 146th ; Jere-
miah Powell, William H. Powers, 117th; Edward Quinn,
John Rathbun, 117th ; Samuel W. Raymond, Jr., sergeant,
146th ; Archibald Reed, 26th ; Thomas Reed, Henry Reed,
David Reese, 146th; George W. Reed, killed at Fort
Fisher; Robert Reyon, Joseph C. Richmond, 117th, died
in service ; Edward Richardson, 146th ; Joseph Richard-
son, James Rice, John Rodioe, 117th; Andrew T. Row-
ler, George Robinson, Lewis Robinson, David Ross, 14th ;
Benjamin F.Russell, killed in service; W. H. Sanford,

26th ; D. Sanford, Sanders, Thomas H. Sayre,

146th, died at Andersonville ; Thomas J. Sawyer, major,
47th ; Oscar G. Sawyer, Frederick Sawyer, captain, 47 th ;
Z. W. Sanford, Matthew Stack, John Savage, 117th;
James M. Seamen, 146th ; Loring D. Seamen, died in
service ; Jerome Seamen, first lieutenant, 146th ; Dennis
Sbehan, Reuben Spencer, James Stewart, colonel, 146th ;



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



471



Charles F. Seymour, Bates' Battery ; Benjamin P. Skinner,
57th ; Vincent Smith, Thomas Smith, sergeant, 117th ; John
F. Smith, 57th, killed at Gettysburg ; Truman Smith, 8th
Cavalry, S. W. Stocking, 14th; Joseph Stockbridge,
146th ; L. P. Stockwell, sergeant, 146th ; George W. Strong,
146th; Charles Stiong, 115th; B. 0. Shorey, 57th;
Henry Shorey, Charles Sumner, 101st; Niles Taft, 117th,
killed in service; E. Trask, 117th; John Trask, 117th;
William Taylor, 146th; Christian Timian, 57lh ; E. W.
Twitthell, George Thomas, 26lh ; Hugh Thoiman, 57th ;
Jay H. Tower, lieutenant, 16th Wisconsin; William Top-
ping, 57th ; Ezra Thompson, Calvin Thompson, died in
Salisbury prison; Webbon Turner, 117th, died in service;

Frederick Turner, Roswell Turner, 117th, killed ;

Utley, James Vosburg, Daniel Vosburg, Michael Wallace,
57th, killed ; Henry Walker, Lorenzo Waterman, John G.
Ward, Edgar Warner, 117th, died in service; Jonathan
C.Warner, 117th, died in Salisbury prison ; Garrett Welch,
Lawrence Welch, Frederick Wells, 101st; Delos M.White,
Matthew Wilson, Charles Willard, John W. Wicks, Ed-
waid B. Wicks, lieutenant, 101st; Thomas A. Wilson,
captain, 146th, died in service; John Whipple, 8th Cav-
alry ; B. F. Whiting, 57th ; David Williams, Monroe
Woolnough, 117th; Michael Wholahan, 146th ; Albert H.
Wood, 14th Artillery; Adelbert S. Wood, 146th; James

B. Wolfe, John B. Young,— 300.

Among those who have kindly furnished information in
the town of Kirkland, and lent their aid in various ways,
are Mrs. A. D. Gridley, of Clinton, to whom we are in-
debted for the use of her husband's excellent history of the
town ; Hon. 0. S. Williams, for a history of the Clinton
Post-o£Bee, and other matters ; J. H. Tower, D. M. White,

C. H. Goodfellow, the pastors and members of churches;
Professor Edward North, for documents relating to the
college, etc. ; David Pixley, of Kirkland Post-office, and
many others.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



JAMES L. BLACKSTONE,

the subject of this necessarily brief sketch, was born Aug.
20, 1826, and was the only son in a family of three chil-
dren. One sister, M. A. Blackstone, is still living. His
father, Edward Blackstone, was born at New Hartford, in
1801, and about the year 1824 married Cynthia Cook, who
was born in Dutchess County in 1803. In the spring of
1830 he removed to the farm now occupied by the subject
of this sketch, where he was engaged in farming until his
death, which occurred July 1, 1878. Although having no
political aspirations, he was identified with the old Whig
party until he joined the Republican party, at the time of
its formation. He manifested great interest in all educa-
tional and religious interests, and by his sterling merits
gained the confidence and esteem of all who knew him.

Mr. James L. Blackstone, upon arriving at the age of
maturity, arranged with his father to remain upon the farm,
and has ever since successfully followed the chosen occupa-
tion of his father. He married, for his first wife, Kate



Dean, May 15, 1850. About two years later he was called
to mourn her death, and Jan. 4, 1854, he married Helen
E. Prescott, of New Hartford. The result of this union
was one child, Edward J , born Jan. 6, 1873. Mrs. Black-
stone is the second child and eldest daughter of John and
Julia Prescott, who were children of pioneer families of
the town of New Hartford. John Prescott was for many
years deacon in the Baptist Church. Besides being a strong
Abolitionist, he did all in his power to promote the cause
of temperance. He died in 1850, surrounded by a large
circle of friends.

Mr. Blackstone was elected to the office of justice of the
peace, which position he has held for three years. He has
also been commissioner of highways, and has held other
minor offices. It is due him to state that he is a true rep-
resentative of a successful agriculturist. A view of his
residence may be seen on another page of this work.

MARSHALL W. BARKER,

the subject of this sketch, was born four miles south of
Clinton village, and within the present limits of the town
of Kirkland, April 15, 1801. His father, Wardell Barker,




MARSHALL W. BARKER.

was a native of the town of New Lebanon, Columbia Co.,
N. Y., where he was born in the year 1772. In January,
1797, his father,, Uzal Barker, grandfather of our subject,
emigrated to Oneida with his family, which consisted of his
wife and five children, and settled four miles south of Clin-
ton, where they purchased a farm. Here the elder Barkers
lived and died ; they were farmers, and at the date of their
emigration were in medium circumstances ; but being in-
dustrious, economical, and energetic they soon acquired a
competency. They were men who were universally known
and esteemed for their high social qualities and sterling
worth as citizens. The early life of our subject did not
differ materially from most farmer boys of those days. He
received the advantages of the district school, and acquired



472



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



a good common-sohool education. When twenty-three years
of age he started in life for himself, and purchased a farm
in the immediate vicinity of his father's. The year following
he was married to Miss Malina, daughter of James and Mar-
garet Lumbard, of his native town, where she was born Sept.
12, 1805. Seven children were born to them, and named
in the order of their ages as follows : John S., Charlotte
E., Ellen M., Mary D., Desdamona W., Charles M., and
Giles H. Mrs. Barker was called to higher existence Aug.
14, 1846. She was an estimable woman, highly endowed
with those traits of character which adorn the wife and
mother. She was a devoted Christian, and a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Barker has been
married twice since ; the first time to Louisa McLean, of
Cherry Valley, Otsego Co., and for his third wife a sister of
his first, — Mrs. Maria Addington. In 1851, Mr. Barker,
wishing to retire from active business, sold his farm and
moved to Clinton, where he now resides. He is now in
his seventy-eighth year — hale, robust, and is remarkably
well-preserved. He can look back upon his past life with
the consolation that he has improved his opportunities, and
has conquered success in every department of life, and that
he has done his part in the development of his native town.

JOHN KIRKLAND.

The Kirkland family were prominently identified with
the early history of Connecticut, and the name is found
among the thirty-six heads of families who were the early
settlers of Saybrook, and who came there in 1635-39.
John, the progenitor of the family, was of Scotch descent,
and emigrated from Silver Street, London. He had a son
John, who was the father of ten children, — John, Elizabeth,
Priscilla, Nathaniel, Philip, Lydia, Martha, Samuel, Daniel,
and Parnell.

The subject of this sketch was a descendant of the John
above mentioned. He was born in Norwich, now Hunt-
ington, Mass., Jan. 16, 1779, and came to Clinton village
about 1794, and commenced the first round of the ladder
as clerk for Ralph W. Kirkland, one of the first merchants
of the place, with whom he remained some time. . Having
a decided taste for the profession of the law, he began its
study with his cousin. General Joseph Kirkland, witli whom
he remained seven years. He was admitted to the bar in the
year 1805, and soon after established himself in the practice
of his profession at Clinton, where he remained many years.
As a lawyer Mr. Kirkland was regarded by his profes-
sional brethren as an able counselor, and although not
considered an orator in the ordinary acceptation of the term,
his speeches were always argumentative and convincing.
He was positive in character, and very firm in his convic-
tions when reached ; firmness, in fact, may be said to have
been one of his prominent characteristics. Becoming weary
with his arduous duties as a lawyer, he turned his attention
to farming, which he followed until his death, which oc-
curred Jan. 20, 1858. In his political affiliations he Wiis a
Whig until the formation of the Republican party, with
which he identified himself. Mr. Kirkland was united in
marriage with Miss Mary Raymond, Feb. 11, 1824. She
died Feb. 21, 1835, aged forty years. March 10, 1836,
he was again married to Miss Julia A. Raymond. To



them was born one child, a daughter, Mary A., who is
still living in the village of Clinton. His second wife died
Aug. 11, 1840, aged thirty-eight years, and in 1841 he
was again married to Miss Abigail Raymond, who died
Nov. 23, 1867, aged seventy-one years. Mr. Kirkland
was a gentleman of the old-school type, a firm supporter of
religious and educational interests, enjoying to the fullest
extent the confidence and esteem of all who knew him.



CHAPTER XXXIIL

The town of Lee lies north of the centre of the county,
and is composed of parts of townships one and two of Scriba's
Patent, with several smaller tracts and a portion of Fonda's
Patent. Its area is 27,771 acres; the soil is a sandy loam
in the southern part, and somewhat colder in the northern.
The portion south of Lee Centre is quite level, though con-
siderably elevated, while the northern part rises into hills,
in some places rugged and broken. These are a part of the
range which extends nearly across the entire county, be-
coming lower after passing across Camden and Annsville,
and assuming nearly a common level where they enter Os-
wego County. On Fish Creek, at the northwestern boun-
dary of the town, there are quarries of good building-stone.
Fish Creek, Canada Creek, and the west branch of the
Mohawk water this town.

Lee was formed from a part of Western by an act passed
by the Legislature April 3, 1811 ; in 1823 a part of Anns-
ville was taken from it, leaving it with its present boundaries.
The first town-meeting was " held at the school-house near
Samuel Darling's, in the town of Lee, on the third day of
March, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred
and twelve, pursuant to an act of the Legislature passed at
the last session."*

The following were the officers elected, viz. ; Supervisor,
James Young, Jr.; Town Clerk, West Waterman; Asses-
sors, Jesse Dutton, Earl Fillmore, Joseph White ; Collector,
Samuel Hall; Overseers of the Poor, John Hall, Dan Taft;
Commissioners of Highways, Jotham Worden, Dan Taft,
Thomas E. Lawrence ; Constables, George Hawkins, Samuel
Hall, Zaboliel Wentworth ; Fence- Viewers, Dan Taft,
Adonijah Barnard, Asahel Castle ; Poundmasters, Dan Taft,
Alpheus- Wheelock.

The Supervisors of this town from 1813 to the present
have been as follows: 1813, James Young, Jr.; 1814-16,
John Hall, Esq.; 1817-20, Wm. Park; 1821, Rudolph
Devendorf, — Mr. D. removed, and William Park was elected
at a special town-meeting to fill vacancy; 1822-32, Wm.
Park; 1833-40, Daniel Twitchell; 1841-42, James N.
Husted; 1843, Freeman Perry ; 1844-45, Lyman Sexton;
1846-47, John J. Castle; 1848, Jeram Chesebrough ;
1849, Mansir 6. Phillips; 1850-53, Charles Stokes ; 1854
-55, Charles E. Fraser; 1856, Elias Spencer; 1857, Chas.
Stokes ; 1858, Asaph B. Sexton ; 1859, Elias Spencer ;
1860-61, Henry J. Hitchcock; 1862, Thomas J. Brown ;

* Town records.




ANDREW DAVIDSON.



Photo, by Horey & rraincrd.



ANDREW AND ALEXANDER DAVIDSON.



Alexander Davidson was born in the county of Tyrone,
Ireland, in 1770. He married Mary Golly about 1806,
and had one daughter, by the name of Eliza Jane, who
was born in Ireland, June 7, 1807. Mr. Davidson fol-
lowed farming, and in the spring of 1810 emigrated to
America, and settled in Lee township, on the place now in
the possession of the family. One son, Andrew, was born
in Lee, in September, 1811. Another son, Alexander, was
born in Lee, in June, 1815. One daughter, Lucy Ann,
was born in September, 1819.

Mr. Alexander Davidson owned some one hundred and
twenty-five acres of land, on which his family continued to
live and improve. He died October 4, 1830 ; his wife died
June 20, 1861.

Andrew and Alexander, Jr., always continued to live
together, in company with their sister, Lucy Ann ; the
mother continued to live with them till her death.

Andrew and Alexander have made all the improvements
on their fine farms, which lie side by side. These
are, everything considered, the best farm improvements
in the town or county. Two beautiful rows of maple



shade trees face the entire front of their farms. No better
farm buildings are to be found in the town. The fences
are good, and the general appearance bespeaks at once that
they justly rank among the most enterprising farmers in
the county. But fine as these farms are, yet Andrew, who
was a most excellent farmer, was called to part with his on
the 1st of June, 1878. In politics, he and his brother
Alexander have always been Democrats. Andrew was
supervisor of Lee during the years 1862, 1863, and 1864 ;
he has been assessor; held some minor offices also. He
was a man much esteemed and respected, and his loss is



Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 131 of 192)