Samuel W Durant.

History of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 159 of 192)
Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 159 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Watkins, T. T. Worden.

1843. — James Douglas, John Billings, Ezra M. Birdseye,
James W. Watkins, Thomas Powell.

1844. — L. Guiteau, Jr., John Clark, Jonah Howe, Geo.
W. Doty, Nathan Cole.

1845.— J. W. Watkins, James Birdsell, Thomas J. Doug-
las, Thaddeus Ball, Nathan Cole, Jr.

1846.— Thomas T. Worden, L. Guiteau, Jr., Daniel
French, Jonah Howe, Daniel Watkins.

1847. — James Birdsell, James Douglas, E.M. Birdseye,
John Billings, Nathan Cole.

1848.— Thomas Powell, T. T. Worden, L. Guiteau, Jr.,
Jonah Howe, Samuel Talcott.

1849.— Warren Dodge, J. W. Watkins, Philetus New-
comb, Frederick Bull, Richard James.

1850. — L. Guiteau, J. Howe, J. Cole, John Evans, Jr.,
James Birdsell.

1851. — L. Guiteau, Daniel French, John Roberts, Jacob
Wicks, James Evans.

1852.— Thaddeus Ball, D. B. Worden, Addison Fuller,
G. L. Skinner, Thomas Tanner.

1853. — Nathan Tyler, Jonah Howe, John Roberts, Jas.
Evans, John H. Smith.

1854. — L. Guiteau, D. B. Worden, John Evans, Jr.,
Jonah Howe, Nathan Tyler.

1855, — James Evans, John Roberts, Ezekiel Lovell,
Welcome Vincent, Richard James.

1856.— G. L. Skinner, T. J. Douglas, G. French, T. T.
Worden, M. Miller.

1857. — Jacob Wicks, Addison Fuller, L. Guiteau, James
Cole, Phineas Birdsell.

1858.— G. L. Skinner, T. J. Douglas, D. B. Worden, G.
W. Storrs, James Evans.

1859.— A. Fuller, John H. Smith, John Roberts, Grif-
fith Prichard, David Evans.

There is no further record until

1864.— William W. Wheeler, Ezra Green, Albert Tower,
Daniel French, Jr.

1865. — Jacob Wicks, H. S. Stanton, Jerome B. Watkins,
Hugh Abrams.

1866. — John G. Jones, J. B. Watkins, Warren Reeves,
Sylvester Sandford.

1867.— No record.

1868.— Daniel French, President; W. W. Wheeler, L.
B. Worden, James Evans, John G. Jones, Trustees.

1869. — D. French, President ; James Evans, J. G. Jones,
Claudius Vickery, L. B. Worden, Trustees.



560



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



1870. — Hugh H. Jones, Pre.sident; C. Vickery, Thomas
J. Lewis, J. Gr. Jones, Adam G. Griffiths, Trustees.

1871. — Levi Wheaton, Pre.sident; J. G. Jones, A. S.
Skiff, T. J. Lewis, C. Vickery, Trustees.

1872. — Daniel French, President: J. G. Jones, A. S.
Skiff, Frederick A., Smith, Thomas J. Lewis, Trustees.

1873.— Albert S. Skiff, President.; Martin Newman, D.
Freuch, Jr., Frederick Smith, T. J. Lewis, Trustees.

1874.— A. S. Skiff, President; George Keeler, J. B.
Watkins, Thomas C. Hubbart, T. J. Lewis, Trustees.

1875.— A. S. Skiff, President; D. French, Jr., Philip
Egert, William Bouliian, John Hughes, Trustees.

1876.— A. S. Skiff, President; L. B. Worden, J. L.
Plumb, Jerry George, Fred. A. Smith, Trustees.

1877.— William Bouliian, President; Nathaniel Tyler,
Ezekiel Lovell, Daniel French, Jr., H. R. Downs, Trustees;
R. L. Guiteau, Clerk ; Jeremiah Baker, Street Commis-
sioner; Byron G. Barker, Treasurer; John M. Hicks, Col-
lector.

One of the early settlers at the village was Elizur Skinner,
who was originally from Connecticut, and came here from
Cambridge, Washington Co., N. Y.,' about 1809-10. He lo-
cated first on a farm two and one-half miles above the village,
and soon after removed to South Trenton, where for a year
he kept a public-house. During the war of 1812-15 he
returned to Trenton village, and kept for four years the
hotel now occupied by G. L. Skinner. This hotel was built
by Judge John Storrs.

Two stores were built and opened at the village at an
early date, one by Peter Remsen and the other by Douglas
& Billings. Their proprietors handled large amounts of
grain, and in the latter store, still standing, and occupied
by Egert & Pritcliard, the grain rattles through the crevices
occasionally from where it has lain so many years. The
present firm of Egert & Pritchard have a very extensive
business for a country establishment.

The post-ofiice at the village was established about the
year 1800. Dr. Luther Guiteau, who located here in 1802,
was for some time postmaster, but resigned in favor of his
brother-in-law, John Billings, who settled in 1804 and was
appointed in 1805. He held the office about sixty years,
and at his death was the oldest postmaster in the United
States. The present incumbent is Griffith Pritchard.

Luther Guiteau, M.D., is the oldest practicing physician
in the town, and is located at Trenton village. The other

physicians of the town are Drs. E. D. Raynor and

Spencer, of the village ; D. A. Crane and Norton Wolcott,
of Holland Patent. Dr. Crane is next oldest in practice to
Dr. Guiteau, and came to this town from Marcy.

A fire company was organized in the village. May 26,
1834, consisting of nineteen members, of which Thomas T.
Worden was chosen captain, and Thomas Tanner, Jr.,
second in command. A small hand engine had previously
been purchased, and in 1835 it was repaired. How long
the fire department had an existence we are unable to state,
but it is without a " local habitation and a name'' at present.

BARNEVELD LIBRARY ASSOCIATION.

In 1874 a room was offered for the use of a library
by Mr. Jacob Wicks, in a block built for stores, and



a subscription paper was circulated for the purpose of
raising funds sufficient to furnish the room and purchase
books. The sum of $99 was subscribed, together with
a number of books On the 21st of November, 1874, the
subscribers met at Dr. Guiteau's, and organized a body called
the " Trenton Library Association," and adopted a constitu-
tion of fifteen articles. The name was afterwards changed
to the " Barneveld Library Association," in memory of the
original appellation of the village. By gift and purchase
two hundred and forty volumes were obtained, but on the
17th of March, 1875, the library was destroyed by fire,
with the exception of forty volumes, Mr. Hicks' entire block
being burned. At a meeting of the citizens it was resolved
to revive the library ; 8118.75 were subscribed for that pur-
pose, besides more than fifty books, and in just three weeks
after the fire the library was again in running order. By
the end of April it contained three hundred and fifty vol-
umes, of which only sixteen had been purchased, the rest
having been donated. Donations of books arrived from
various parts of the country, in response to published ap-
peals for assistance, and before the close of 1875 more than
twelve hundred volumes were in the library. Munificent
donations were received, and in July, 1875, the " Burneveld
Library Association" was duly incorporated.

As a start towards means for erecting a separate building
for its use, Mrs. Pauline E. Henry, of Germantown, Pa.,
offered |100, which has since been received. Another sub-
scription of $77 was raised to purchase a site for the building,
which was finally accomplished at a cost of $100. In 1876
a fourth subscription was started, and when it had reached
$1200 the building was commenced, the corner-stone being
kid July 27, 1877. It is constructed of Trenton lime-
stone ; outside dimensions, 40 by 26 feet ; cost, including
site, about $1700. The present officers of the Association
are Dr. Luther Guiteau, President ; Robert Pritchard, Vice-
President ; William Silsbee, Secretary ; Robert Skinner,
Treasurer ; H. S. Stanton, Thomas Lewis, John Hughes,
George W. Wheeler, Mrs. Robert Skinner, Directors.

The use of the library is free to members of the Associa-
tion : those not members are required to pay five cents per
week for the use of books. A natural history cabinet has
been commenced. The " Trenton Lyceum" and lodge of
" I. 0. G. T." meet in the building weekly. There were
in February, 1878, in the library over thirteen hundred
volumes, classified in eight divisions, as follows :

Keligion and Theology 163

Science, Philosophy, and Natural History 124

History and Travels 2fi0

Biography 139

Works of Fiction 268

Poetry and the Drama 103

Periodicals 84

Miscellaneous 253

Total 1394

The business of the village of Trenton in 1878 may be
summed up as follows : two general stores, one druggist,
three blacksmith-shops, two wagon-shops, one harness-shop,
one tailor-shop, one cooper-shop, two hotels, a school-house,
town-hall, three churches, the Barneveld Library, a grist-
mill and butter-tub factory, a planing-mill, a furniture-store,
one undertaking establishment, two meat-markets, and a




Sylvahus Terris




ag2'igR-^^%->A 5^S:gjwa^^Cga!A~^^



ALL. W« R DODQE.PBopsiETOR. Prospect. Oneioa County, New York.



UTH BY L H.EvERrs. PHrLA.fl*



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



561



barber-shop. The population of the corporation numbers
about three hundred.

HOLLAND PATENT.

This village takes its name from the large tract of land,
principally in this town, including about 20,000 acres, and
" granted by the British Crown to Henry, Lord Holland,
and by him sold to Seth Johnson, Horace Johnson, and
Andrew Craige. Under their direction it was surveyed and
divided into lots of about 100 acres each, in July, 1797,
by Moses Wright, a surveyor, then residing in Rome.

" At the time the Johnsons came upon the patent, Noah
Simons, who also claimed to be an owner of it, was engaged
in making a survey, but soon left, and never came to the
patent afterwards."* The heirs of Noah Simons afterwards
went to considerable expense in tracing out the title in
England, and found the record of the original conveyance
to their ancestors. If attended to in season the tract could
have been secured to the Simons family, but on examina-
tion they found that the Johnsons and Craige had so long
since sold the whole of their rights to the settlers that they
were barred by the statute of limitations.

"Seth Johnson, the senior partner of that firm, was born in Mid-
dletown, Connecticut, Nov. 2, 1767, and died while on a visit to Hol-
land Patent, Dec. 8, 1802, and was the first person buried in the burial-
ground he had given for the use of settlers upon bis lands.

" A few families moved upon the patent previously to 1797, having
purchased of Simons. The date of the first settlement cannot be pre-
cisely ascertained. One of the author's informants was of the opinion
that Holland Patent was settled a little earlier than Trenton village.
Of the settlers under the title of Simons, Rowland Briggs, Eliphalet
Pierce, Eliphalet Cotes, Benjamin White, and a few others, who pur-
chased of Simonds, repurchased of the Johnsons and Craige. Soon
after the survey the proprietors (Johnson and Craige), wishing to es-
tablish an actual and permanent settlement, sold one-quarter of the
patent to Bezabel Fisk, Pascal C. I. De Angelis, Hezekiah Hulbert,
and Isaac Hubbard, for the location of which these four drew shares,
after selecting two lots each. In this way n. nucleus was formed,
around which gathered a band of hardy pioneers, the descendants
of whom to this day bless their memory. They encountered many
hardships, and suffered from many wants and privations. Bears and
wolves were also quite too plenty. One of these pioneers, Eliphalet
Cotes, was at the killing of forty-nine bears. It was the uniform cus-
tom when they met for public worship to take with them their guns,
and on one occasion worship was adjourned that they might repair to
the neighboring forest to kill one of the pests of the pig-sty, — a bear.
Mrs. Kelsey, the wife of an early settler, having been to Whitestown
to dispose of some of her handiwork, on her return became lost in the
woods, and for the want of a more convenient sleeping apartment
spent the night in the top of a tree ; she climbed to a sufiicient eleva-
tion to save herself from being made the supper of some of the wild
beasts, which had almost undisturbed possession of that section of
country. She did not very highly enjoy the music of her serenaders,
although they were adorned with the moustaches and whiskers so
necessary to modern musical excellence, yet she comforted herself with
the reflection that if she had been less fortunate in securing a place of
safety she would soon have lost all power to listen to the music, harsh
as it was. Daylight, however, made her persecutors retreat, and she
reached home in safety ."f

Of the four persons who purchased one-fourth of the
Holland Patent and settled upon it in 1797, Hezekiah
Hurlburt died in January, 1800, while on a visit to Con-
necticut, aged fifty years ; Bezabel Fisk died also in Con-
necticut, aged eighty-eight years ; Pascal C. I. De Angelis
died in Holland Patent in 1839, aged seventy-six years ;



* Jones' Annals.



71



t Jones;



Isaac Hubbard died in Ashtabula Co., 0., in 1848, aged
ninety-nine years.

HOBART HALL ACADEMY

was incorporated by the Legislature in 1839, and P. 0. I.
De Angelis was its first president. This is now used as a
union school building.

A post-office was established here subsequent to 1804,
previous to which date the only one in town was at Trenton
village. This office was on the route from Utica to
Sacket's Harbor, and weekly trips were made by a carrier
on horseback. The present postmaster is Watson Williams.

The large brick building known as the " Clarendon Ho-
tel" was erected in 1876 by Hamlin Williams, and cost,
including furniture, $20,000. It was built principally for
the accommodation of summer boarders.

The village contains 2 hotels, a union school, 5 churches,

5 stores, a wagon-shop, several blacksmith-shops, and a

post-office.

STITTVILLB

is a small village in the southwest corner of town, con-
taining 2 stores, a post-office, blacksmith- and wagon-shop,
1 shoe-shop, 1 harness-shop, an old tannery (not now in
operation), a cider-mill, a large cheese-factory, owned by A.
G. Bagg, a Methodist Episcopal Church, and a knitting-
factory, established in the spring of 1878, by John S.
Maxwell, employing about 35 hands.

The post-office at Stittville was established about 1851-52,
and William Grant was appointed the first postmaster.
The present incumbent of the office is F. C. Mizer.

VILLAGE OP PROSPECT.
This enterprising village is located in the northeast part
of town, on the West Canada Creek, at the upper or
" Prospect Fall." Colonel Adam G. Mappa was with the
surveying-party which laid out the village, and while stand-
ing on the brow of the hill above the basin and looking
eastward across the creek valley and upon the varied
scenery, exclaimed, " What a beautiful prospect I I pro-
pose we call this place Prospect,'' and so the name was
given it. Truly is the location beautiful. " Prospect Fall,"
the first of the Trenton falls, is about 24 feet high, and
extends in semicircular form across the stream, here quite
broad. In high water the darkly-rushing torrent pours in
an unbroken sheet over the wall of rock, and roars and
foams on into the narrow gorge below and towards the
more majestic cataracts farther down the stream.

The first store in the village was opened by George
Watkins and John Owens, in the brown building now used
as a dwelling, and standing near the old hotel under the
hill; this was in 1823. Before establishing himself in the
mercantile business, Mr. Watkins had taught school in the
village. His father, Phineas Watkins, was an early settler
of the town, locating near what is called "Birch Kidge.''
The Watkins family was from Berkshire Co., Mass., and
settled first at Little Falls, Herkimer Co., N. Y., removing
afterwards to Trenton.

The school-house in which Mr. Watkins taught was a
frame building, with a wide fireplace, and stood on what is
known as the Jenkins property, now owned by James
Roberta. Mr. Watkins was among the earliest teachers in



562



HISTOKY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



this building, which was erected soon after a saw-mill had
been built on West Canada Creek.

A saw-mill was built on the Herkimer side of the creek
by John 0. Squires, and another on the Oneida side, — the
latter owned for many years by George Watkins, who was
the proprietor of a considerable amount of land along the
creek. After dissolving partnership with Owens, in 1830,
Mr. Watkins moved upon the hill in the village, where his
widow now resides, and lived there until his death, Feb.
21, 1871. He did much towards building up the place, and
was one of its prominent citizens.

The oldest resident in the village is Smith Crosby. He
was born in July, 1803, on the farm settled by his father,
Judah Crosby, about a mile north of the place. The elder
Crosby died when the son was but a small boy. He was
of English descent, and, with two of his brothers, settled
very early in this part of the State. The union church at
Prospect was built by Smith Crosby.

The grist-mill on the creek at Prospect was built by
George Watkins, after his saw-mill was in operation. It
at present contains three runs of stone, and does a good
custom business. It is now the property of William Griffith,
who also owns the tannery near by, built by Mr. Watkins
about 1845. The latter building has been remodeled and
enlarged, and furnishes work for five hands besides Mr.
Griffith and his son. Water-power is used exclusively,
except for heating the tannery, where steam is used. The
business of the tannery amounts annually to 150,000 or
160,000, and that of the grist-mill, which manufactures
large quantities of feed, from $12,000 to $13,000.

The Prospect post-office was established as early, proba-
bly, as 1815-20 (?), and the mail was carried on horseback
between here and Remscn. The present postmaster is
G. Wheldon.

" Union Hall," the large hotel in the upper part of the
village, was built by Clark Hoyt about 1825, and is at
present owned by William P. Dodge. A large hall is con-
nected with it, for the accommodation of dancing-parties
and audiences to various lectures, concerts, etc. During
the summer season the hotel is filled with guests, who come
to this locality to spend a few months in pleasurable recre-
ation. " Mine host" and his well-kept house are deservedly
popular with the traveling public.

" Goshen Hall," formerly well known as " McMaster's
Hotel," is located in the lower part of the village, and was
built probably by Porter Davis, at an early period in the
settlement of the town. It was at one time a great resort
. for teamsters and travelers, but in later years the custom
has been transferred principally to the " Union Hall."

The Prospect Band was organized July 24, 1871, with
eight members ; has at present twelve pieces of the Slater
manufacture, and is an excellent band, considering the time
it has been in practice. Its leader is Julius A. Farley.

John T. Ihomas Post, No. 39, O. A. P., was chartered
May 3, 1875, with 22 members, the person for whom it
was named having been killed in the service. Sixteen
persons who enlisted from Prospect are now deceased, the
majority of them dying or being killed while in service.
The room occupied by the Post is in the upper story of
the building owned by G. B. and George R, Farley, and



was furnished by the Post. The officers for 1878 are the
following persons, viz. : Commander, A. B. Smith ; Senior
Vice-Commander, J. G. Burney ; Junior Vice-Commander,
G. W. Laraway; Quartermaster, M. Boh; Surgeon, Dr.
George Morey ; Chaplain, C. P. Lounsbury ; Officer of the
Day, A. E. Jones ; Officer of the Guard, G. W. Fay ; Sen-
tinel, John Santmire; Adjutant, George R. Farley; Quar-
termaster-Sergeant, Ed. Jones ; S'. M., H. Lamb. The
membership was 18 on the 1st of March, 1878.

Rescue Lodge, No. 475, I. 0. G. T., also uses the hall
for meetings. This Lodge was chartered Jan. 25, 1877,
with 26 members, and is at present in a flourishing condi-
tion, with a membership of about 60.

There were on the Ist of March, 1878, in Prospect vil-
lage, seven stores, two hotels, a two-story frame school build-
ing, four blacksmith-shops, one wagon-shop, two cooper-
shops, two shoe-shops, a tannery, a grist-mill, a post-office,
a Post G. A. R., a Lodge I. 0. G. T., a marble-shop, three
stone-quarries, doing a large business (one, owned by Thomas
& Jones, furnishing stone for the government building at
Utica ; one worked by William Perkins ; and the other by
Callahan, of Utica), and a population of about 350.

GANG MILLS

is a small village on West Canada Creek, partly in the north-
east corner of the town of Trenton, but principally in Her-
kimer County. A saw-mUl was built here as early as
1810-12 by a man named Corp. An extensive saw-mill
was built here about 1850, and is now the property of
Messrs. Hinckley & Ballon. It has been greatly enlarged,
and has a capacity for sawing five to six million feet annu-
ually. Lath, joists, broom-handles, etc., are manufactured.
The water-power is one of the best in the State. These
mills give employment, in the forest and at the mills, to
a large number of men, and in prosperous times of business
furnish comfortable support to nearly one thousand persons,
including the employees and those depending on them.

In the Oneida County portion of the village there are a
store, a blacksmith-shop, a wagon-shop, and a large hotel.
On the Herkimer side are the post-office, established about
1873 (W. H. Stanton, postmaster), a store, a large planing-
mill, and a broom-handle factory.

SOUTH TRENTON.

This village is located in the southeast part of the town.
Mention has already been made of Cheney Garrett and
others who located here early, and the following items were
furnished by Mr. Garrett's son, John P. Garrett, now re-
siding at the village.

Cheney Garrett was from New Haven Co., Conn.,
and purchased 104 acres and some perches of land from the
Holland Land Company, upon which most of the village of
South Trenton now stands, the deed having been made
July 18, 1796. John P. Garrett's residence is upon a por-
tion of it. Cheney Garrett came to Utica in 1794, and
worked there at the carpenter's trade for two years, after
which (1796) he removed to South Trenton. He first
built a log house, in which he lived five years, and in 1801
erected the house now occupied by his son. In this latter
building he kept public-house for twenty years or more, it



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



563



beiug the first tavern in the place ; he had also kept trav-
elers in his log house. Mr. Garrett was the first settler in
this locality, and died in 1845. His father, John Garrett,
came to the town about 1798-1800, and his house was
built in 1801. He was a school-teacher, and taught here
until he was nearly eighty years of age.

The first store at South Trenton was a small establish-
ment kept by Hugh Williams, from Liverpool, England.
The building he occupied was purchased of Cheney Gar-
rett. The latter built a saw-mill on Nine-Mile Creek as
early as 1796. A grist-mill was built on the same stream
within recent years, but has been destroyed by fire. There
have also been a mill for cleaning clover, a flax-mill, and a
peppermint-still, the latter owned by Origen Perkins, who
was afterwards killed in California. A brick-yard was
established about 1837 by H. W. and J. P. Garrett (the
former still owning it), and Cheney Garrett made brick
very early about three-fourths of a mile above the village.
South Trenton post-office was originally established some
three miles south of the village, on the old Utica road ;
but the one at the village was established about 1832-33,
with Daniel Schermerhorn as first postmaster, and the old
office was discontinued. The present official is W. P. Jones.
South Trenton contained in the spring of 1878 one
store, one blacksmith-shop, one harness- and shoe-shop, one
hotel, one wagon-shop, a fine two-story frame school-house,
built in 1877, a brick-yard, a church, and a post-office.
Nine-Mile Creek flows through the village.

The Summit House, midway between the villages of
Trenton Falls and Prospect, was built in 1871, and opened
as a resort for summer boarders in the spring of 1872. It
is a fine brick building, and during the hot season is filled
with tourists and pleasure-seekers, many being turned away
from lack of accommodations. William Perkins, the pro-
prietor, is a grandson of George Perkins, who came to the
town about 1808, from Enfield, Conn., and occupied the
farm where William Perkins now lives. His son, Elam
Perkins, lived on a portion of the homestead originally
taken up by the elder Perkins ; and another son, Daniel,
owned that part on which the " Summit House" now stands.
Elam Perkins died in 1866, aged sixty-six years. Some of
the boys were soldiers in the war of 1812. Mr. Perkins'
farm extends to the West Canada Creek, and borders upon
it, where the scenery is wild and picturesque enough to suit



Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 159 of 192)