Samuel W Durant.

History of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 56 of 192)
Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 56 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


had been left in a very low condition from the sequelae of
that disease. They had now been under homoeopathy, as
thus crudely practiced, for three weeks, and yet, instead
of dying, they had actually improved, and were getting
well.

Here w;is a fact that served as a starting-point for Dr.
Humphrey, who thence was led to investigate and adopt it
in his practice, and from that period never again gave a
dose of allopathic medicine in his life. He very soon in-
troduced the practice into the hospital of Auburn State-
prison, of which he was then surgeon, and his report to
the Stale-prison inspector the following year served to direct
public attention still further to the new system.

In that report, which is believed to have been the first
introduction of homoeopathy in any public institution in
this country, he showed that the average number of deaths in
the hospital of some 700 to 750 convicts from year to year
had been twelve to fifteen. That for a year under homoe-
opathic treatment the deaths had been but five, and for the
last seven months of that year there had been no deaths;
thus establishing the fact that homoeopathy was not only
useful among children and nervous women, but among con-
victs and stalwart men as well.

Dr. Humphrey was at that day the most eminent medi-
cal convert who had embraced the homoeopathic faith in
that section. His large experience, his wide professional
and social influence, and his able forensic powers, made



him one of the champions of the new faith whom it was
hard to match and difficult to overcome.

He went to Syracuse in 1842, being the first to open a
homoeopathic office in Onondaga County.

In 1843 he removed to Utica, Oneida Co., being the
pioneer of homoeopathy in that city. He remained in
practice in Utica until 1847, when he removed to New
York, being succeeded by his son. Dr. F. Humphrey, and
Dr. Samuel Stewart. He died in 1848, from the effects of
a sunstroke, while engaged in the effort of founding a
homoeopathic hospital.

Dr. Eraslus A. Hunger was born in Copenhagen, Lewis
Co., N, Y., Feb. 12, 1813. He commenced the study of
medicine with Dr. S. G. Haven in Waterville, and having
attended one course of lectures in the Fairfield Medical
College, and a private course in Auburn, in the spring of
1834 he obtained a license from the Allopathic Medical
Society, of Oneida County, and commenced practice in
Sanquoit. In the fall of the same year he entered the
Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and graduated in
March, 1835. He immediately commenced practice in
Waterville, and, excepting a few months, that has been his
field of labor for thirty-five years. He became convinced
of the superiority of homoeopathic practice in 1843,_and
early in the fall announced himself a convert to that system.
Among Dr. Mungor's more particular professional ii-iends
were Drs. Palmer, N. Stebbins, of Waterville ; Stewart, of
Clinton ; Kelly, of Bridgewater ; Barker, of Madison ; and
Brown, of Marshall, each of whom, believing he was
sacrificing a good practice, as well as his professional rep-
utation, used every argument in their power to di&suade
him from his purpose, and where argument failed, ridicule,
and even abuse, in some cases, was resorted to; but stand-
ing firmly by his convictions, he had the satisfaction, within
two or three years, of welcoming every one of them into
the homoeopathic ranks.

Dr. Munger helped to organize the Oneida County Homoe-
opathic Medical Society, and was its first president. He
was elected president of the New York State Homoeopathic
Medical Society in 1864. In 1872 he was appointed by
the Regents of the University u member of the State
Board of Medical Examinei's, but was obliged to resign,
from being unable to attend the stated meetings of the
board.

Leverett Bishop, M.D., was born in Guilford, Conn., in
1791, and removed to Paris, N. Y., in 1808. He began the
study of medicine in 1812, and in 1815 received a diploma
from the censors of the Oneida County Allopathic Medical
Society. He was commissioned by the Governor of the
State of New York as regimental surgeon at Sacket's Har-
bpr in the fall of 1814, before receiving his diploma. He
spent one year practicing in the vicinity of the Oneida
Indians, and in 1816 removed to Sanquoit, Oneida Co.,
where he has been professionally engaged ever since. He
was elected president of the county society in 1859.

He first became favorably impressed with homoeopathy
through Dr. Baboock and Dr. Douglass, of Hamilton, ir|
the winter of 1843-44. He ne^t received aid from Dr. B.
Humphrey, who ftirnished him with an outfit of homoer
opathic medicines and books. From this time he never



204



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



in a single instance used the crude drugs to which he had
become accustomed during twenty-five years' practice as an
allopathic pliysician.

He is still living at Sanquoit, and has never been pre-
vented from attending to his professional business by
sickness more than a day or two at any one time.

Frederick Humphrey, M.D., son of Dr. E. Humph-
rey, was born at Maroellus in 1816. For some time he
was engaged in the duties of the Methodist ministry, but
in 1841 he became acquainted with homoeopathy, and in
the winter of 1844—45 he came to Utica, and engaged in
practice with his father. In 1847 he formed a partner-
ship with Dr. Samuel Stewart, of Clinton. He is the
author of several valuable works on medical subjects, and in
1853 was elected Professor of the Institutes of Homceo-
pathy and of Theory and Practice in the Homoeopathic
Medical College of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia. He
formed a partnership with Dr. L. B. Wells in 1851, and in
1853 removed to New York.

During the eight years of his practice in Utica he had
the satisfaction of seeing the system bf homoeopathy firmly
built up and established in that city and vicinity ; a large
number of the most influential families became its adherents
and supporters^ The power and influence of old-school
physicians was broken, his own practice became the most
extensive and lucrative in the community, and the system
was placed on a vantage-ground eminent and secure.

Samuel W. Stewart, M.D., was born at North Argyle,
Washington Co., N. Y., in the year 1800.

He studied with Dr. Sill, and graduated at Fairfield
Medical College. He practiced at New Haven, Oswego
Co., and at Bridgewater several years, and in 1833 removed
to Clinton, N. Y. In 1845 he became a convert to and
practitioner of the homoeopathic school of medicine. He
spent several months in Newark, N. J., after which lie
returned to Clinton, and in 1847 removed to Utica, where
he remained tinti! his death, June 20, 1854.

His standing as an allopathic physician was fully equal
to that of any other physician in Oneida County. In the
diagnosis and prognosis of disease he had no superior and
few equals. A thorough and earnest Christian gentleman,
of strict integrity of character, he commenced and pursued
with success the homoeopathic practice of cure, and aided
largely in its introduction in Oneida County.

Dr. S. Z. Haven was born in Chesterfield, N. H., Sept. 6,
1794. He was licensed to practice in 1821, and practiced
in Waterville in 1835 ; he was absent from there one year,
returned and stayed two years, and then removed to Utica,
where he practiced as an old-school physician for eight
years. He changed his practice to homoeopathy in 1846,
and three years after removed to Buffalo. He is now in
feeble health, and is living with his son in Chicago. He
was the first president of the Erie County Homoeopathic
Medical Society.

John A. Paine, M.D., was born in Whitestown, Oneida
Co., July 10, 1795. He studied medicine under Dr. Seth
Hastings, of Clinton, and graduated from the medical de-
partment of Yale College in 1825. He commenced prac-
tice in Volney, Oswego Co., N. Y. He moved thence to
Paris, Oneida Co., and afterwards to Utica, N. Y., Newark,



N. J., and Albany, N. Y. In 1853 he removed from Al-
bany, and located in this county again, remaining twelve
years, — seven years near Hartford; and five in Utica. In
1865 he moved again to Newark, N. J., and, in 1871, to
Lake Forest, 111. He was elected president of the Essex
County (Allopathic) Medical Society three times. In 1843
he was converted to homoeopathy, and became a member of
the American Institute of Homoeopathy in 1844. He was
elected a fellow and corresponding member of the Homoeo-
pathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1858, and Pres-
ident of the Oneida County Society in 1858. As a prac-
titioner he possessed several desirable mental characteristics.
His influence over his patients was very positive, control-
ling them evidently by a strong magnetic power, which was
accompanied by a most remarkable urbanity of manner.
He also manifested considerable originality of method iii
determining the latent and active causes of disease, and in
the proper adaptation and application of remedies: He
died in Lake Forest, 111., June 16, 1871, aged seventy-six
years.

Dr. Hiram Hadley was born at Weare, N. H., May 20,
1800. At the age of twenty-one he went to Fairfield,
N. Y., where he commenced the study of medicine with his
uncle, Dr. James Hadley, who was at that time a professor
in the Fairfield Medical College. He graduated after a
four years' course of study and lectures, returned to New
Hampshire, and practiced there until 1831, when he re-
moved to Salisbury, Herkimer Co., N. Y., and in 1851
removed to Boonville, where he commenced the practice of
homoeopathy, to which he had been converted through the
efi'orts of Dr. W. B. Stebbins, of Little Falls, and Dr. Rosa,
of Watertown. He was elected president of Oneida County
Homoeopathic Medical Society in 1864. He died March
13, 1876.

John L. Kellogg, M.D., was born in Manlius, Onondaga
Co., in 1811. He studied medicine at New Hartford,
N. Y., under Daniel Thomas, M.D., and graduated from
Middlebury College, Vermont, June, 1837. Commenced
practice in the autumn of the same year, at Sherburne,
Chenango Co., N. Y., where he remained until 1840 ;
thence removed to Bridgewater, N. Y., where he continued
in practice until 1857.

Dr. Kellogg then removed to Chicago, where he is now
engaged in practice. About the year 1847, Dr. Kellogg's
attention was called to the subject of homoeopatliy by Dr.
E. A. Jlunger. Although feeling none of the bitterness of
our modern " Sauls," still Dr. Kellogg found it diflicult to
eradicate his preconceived opinions that the whole matter
was a delusion. However, after years of careful study,
proving of drugs and homoeopathic application of them, he
became thoroughly converted, and is now one of the firmest
supporters of the doctrines of Hahnemann.

Dr. Silas Bailey was born May 9, 1815. He graduated
at the Berkshire Medical College in 1835. Practiced allo-
pathy ten years, and changed practice about 1845, through
the influence of Dr. J. S. Douglass, of Hamilton, N. Y.,
How residing in Milwaukee, Wis. He practiced in Toledo,
Ohio, a number of years, and in 1877 returned to Bridge-
water, where he still resides.

Dr. L. B. Wells was born at Pompey, Onondaga Co.,



HISTOKY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YOEK.



205



Oct. 8, 1810. He studied medicine with Drs. Pomeroy
and Batchelder, and graduated at the Fairfield Medical Col-
lege in 1831. He practiced in Utica as a.ssistant to Dr.
Batchelder until November, 1832, when he went to Fabius,
Onondaga Co., remaining until 1837, when he returned to
Pompey, where he remained until July, 1851, when he
removed to Utica, where he is still engaged in practice.
He became a thorough convert to the principles and practice
of homoeopathy in 1846. He was elected president of the
Oneida County Homoeopathic Medical Society in 1864, and
president of the State Homoeopathic Medical Society in
1870. He became a member of the American Institute of
Homoeopathy in 1848.

J. C. Raymond, M.D., was born in Troy, in 1823. He
studied medicine with Dr. Munger, of Waterville. He at-
tended a course of lectures at the University of New York,
and received a diploma from the Oneida County Medical
Society in 1849. la 1850 he attended a course of lectures
at the Homceopathic College of Pennsylvania, receiving its
diploma March 3, 1851. He helped organize the Oneida
County Homoeopathic Medical Society, and was elected its
president in 1862. He enjoyed the confidence of a large
number of patrons, and in 1877 went West, and is now
located at Oakland, Cal.

W. H. Watson, M.D., was born at Providence, R. I.,
Nov. 8, 1829. He graduated at Brown University in
1852, and studied medicine with Dr. A. H. Okie, of Provi-
dence. He attended medical lectures at the Homoeopathic
Medical College of Pennsylvania, the University of Penn-
sylvania, and the Pennsylvania Hospital, in Philadelphia;
and after receiving his degree he located in Utica, where
he enjoys a lucrative practice. He was one of the founders
of the Oneida County Homoeopathic Medical Society, and
was elected its president in 1860. He was elected presi-
dent of the New York State Homoeopathic Medical Society
in 1868.

Dr. Thomas F. Pomeroy was born at Cooperstown, May
11, 1816. He graduated at Union College in 1836, and
at Cleveland Homoeopathic Medical College in 1853. He
spent six years in practice in Utica, N. Y., after which he
removed to Detroit, Mich., where he still resides. He was
elected first secretary of the Oneida County Homoeopathic
Medical Society, and held the office till his removal from
the county.

H. M. Paine, M.D , was born in Paris, Oneida Co.,
N. Y., Nov. 19, 1827. He studied medicine with his father.
Dr. John A. Paine, and graduated at the medical depart-
ment of the University of New York. He immediately
commenced practice' in Albany, N. Y., in the office of his
father. In 1855 he removed to Clinton, Oneida Co., where
he resided ten years, after which he returned to Albany,
where he still resides. He was secretary of the Oneida
County Homoeopathic Medical Society from 1858 until he
left the county, in 1865. He was elected secretary of the
New York State Homoeopathic Medical Society at its or-
ganization, in 1859, and held it for thirteen years, laboring
actively and efficiently to perfect its organization.

The present practitioners of homoeopathy in Oneida
County are as follows : Drs. L. B. Wells, M. M. Gardner,
W. H. WaUon, C. J. Hill, M. 0. Terry, J. de V. Moore,



C. E. Chase, Utica; S. 0. Scudder, A. B. Southwick,

Rome; E. A. Munger, Allen, Waterville; S. Bailey,

Bridgewater ; L. Bishop, Sanquoit ; W. Warren, Bdonville ;

R. S. Spencer, Trenton; G-. A. Gifford, Clayville;

Griffith, Knoxboro'.

The following is a list of the members of the Homoeopathic
Medical Society of Oneida County, with their residences
and date of admission to the society :

E. A. Munger, Waterville, Oct. 20, 1857.

L. B. Wells, Utiea, Oct. 20, 1857.

J. C. Raymond, Utica, Oct. 20, 1857.

Thomas F. Pomeroy, Utica, Oct. 20, 1857.

Wm. H. Watson, Utica, Oct. 20, 1857. '

H. E. Dykeman, Utica, Oct. 20, 1857.

J. A. Paine, Utica, Oct. 20, 1857.

H. M. Paine, Clinton, Oct. 20, 1857.

Wm. B. Stebbins, Little Falls, Oct. 20, 1857.

A. A. Mason, Knox Corners, June 22, 1858.-

D. D. Loomis, Bridgewater, Oct. 19, 1858.

Leverott Bishop, Sanquoit, June 21, 1859.

Silas Bailey, Uticff, Jilne 21, 1859.

C. Judson Hill, Utica, June 21, 1869.

Woodward Warren, Deerfield Corners, June 21, 1859.

S. 0. Scudder, Rome, June 21, 1859.

M. M. Gardner, Holland Patent, Oct. 18, 1859.

Nathan Spencer,. Winfidd, Jan. 19, 1860.

Hiram Hadley, Boonville, Oct. 16; 1860.

J. W. Mower, West Schuyler, June 19, 18G1.

Harrison Willis, Clinton, June 19, 1865.

Gaius J. Jones, Holland Patent, Oct. 16, 1866.

The above list was subscribed to the original constitution
and by-laws adopted Oct. 20, 1857.

The following roll embraces the names of members sub-
scribed to the constitution and by-laws adopted Oct. 15,
1861 : Nathan Spencer, G. A. Gifford, W. B. Stebbins, J.

C. Raymond, Leverett Bishop, Silas Bailey, L. B. Wells,
J. W. Mower, Abram Guiwits, J. Youiiglove, Wm. Landt,
H. M. Paine, Wm. H. Watson, S. 0. Scudder, G. W.Bailey,
M. M. Gardner, John A. Paine, E. A. Munger, Woodward
Warren, George B. Palmer, L. B. Waldo, D. D. Joslin, C.
Judson Hill, G. J. Jones, A. B. Southwick, Aug. E. Zeit-
ler, C. H. Thompson, David W. Vander Burgh^ Selden H.
Talcott, Arthur M., Woodruff, M. 0. Terry, C. E. Chase,
L. L. Brainard, H. J. Spencer, C. A. Osborne, Arthur
Beach, Randall Lament Spencer, W. Estus Deuelj Hiram
Hadley.

Honorary Members: — Thomas F. Pomeroy^ Silas Bailey,

D. D. Loomis, C. W. Boyce, J. R. White, R. B. Landon,
L. B. Waldo, D. Chase, E. R. Heath, Carroll Dunham, H.
M. Smith, H. Robinson, Sr., H.. Barton Fellows, W. A.
Hawley, A. R. Morgan, A. J. Bigelow, W. H. Hoyt, G. L.
Gifford, Ira C. Owen, Marcus M. Catlin, J. A. Paine, H.
M. Paine, C. J. Thompson, A. E. Zeitler, G. W. Bailey,
Edward Loomis, A. E. Wallace, Leverett Bishop, Charles
A. Church.

The following gentlemen have served the society in the
capacity of president and secretary since its organization.
The chairman of the first meeting, held at Utica, Oct. 20,
1857, was Dr. J. A. Paine ; secretary. Dr. Thomas F.
Pomeroy.



206



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



REGULAR OFFICERS.

Presidents. Secretaries.*

1858 i E. A. Mungor. Thomns F. Pomeroy.

1869 J. A. Paine. H. M. Paino (S. i T.).

1860 Loverett Bishop. " " "

1861 Wm. H. Watson. " " "

1862 Wm. B. Stebbins. " " "

1863 J.C.Raymond. " " "

1864 L.B.Wells. " " "

1866... Hiram Hadloy. M.M.Gardner. "

1866 S. 0. Soudder. " " "

1867 C.J.Hill. R.J.Jones.

1868 L.B. Wells. H.Willis.

1869 E. A. Munger. " " "

1870 M. M. Gardner. G. A. Gifford. "

1871 N.Spencer. " " "

1872 L. B. Wells. D. W. Vander Burgh. "

1S7.'5 E. A. Munger. " " "

1874 J.C.Raymond. M.O.Terry. "

1876 Seldcn H. Talcott. " " "

1876 Woodward Warren. C.E.Chase. "

1877 E. A. Munger. " " "

1878 Silas Bailey. " "

PRESENT MEMBERSHIP.

(Ttica.-^h. B. Wells, J. G. Raymond, W. H. Watson,
M. M. Gardner, C. J. Hill; M. O. Terry, C. E. Chase, J.
de V. Moore.

Rome. — S. 0. Scudder, A. B. Southwiek.

Watermlle. — E. A. Munger.

BriJgewater. — Silas Bailey.

Sanquuit. — Leverett Bishop.

ClaijviHe.—Gr. A. Gifford.

West Winfield. — H. J. Spencer.

Bnonville. — Woodward Warren.

Trenton. — R. L. Spencer.

Xnoxl/ortj' . Griffiths.

Serkimer County, Little Falls. — W. B. Stebbins, L. L.
Brainard.

Frnnhfort.~y^ . E. Deuel.

Mohawk. — William Landt.

Salisbury Centre. — Abram Guiwits.

lliim. — Arthur Beach.

The following are the officers for 1878 :

President.-^Dr. Silas Bailey.

Vice-President. — Dr. G. A. Gifford.

Secretary and Treasurer. — Dr. C. E. Chase.

Censors. — Drs. W. Estus Deuel, L. L. Brainard, H. J.
Spencer, William H. Watson.

Delegates to State Society. — Drs. G. W. Bailey, one
year ; L. L. Brainard, two years ; C. E. Chase, three years ;
Arthur Beach, four years.

Delegate to American Institute. — M. 0. Terry.

TUB EARLY BAR OP ONEIDA COUNTY.

BY HO.y. WILLIAM j. BACOX.*

In the early settlement of a new country, the ministers
and the administrators of the law occupy .usually no promi-
nent position. Amid the scenes and " occupations that
attend the advent of new-comers to the virgin soil and the
primeval forest there is little opportunity for the exercise
of their craft, and they are apt to be regarded, not as essen-
tial and valuable occupiers, but rather as interlopers and
cumberers of the ground. The first struggle in a new
country is fur the means of subsistence, and the pioneers



* This office combines both secretary and treasu
t Published in this worlc by permission of Judgi



worli by permission of Judge Bacon.



arc those who can most effectually " lift axes upon the big
trees," and prepare the ground that it may afford " seed to
the sower and bread to the eater." The men of enteiprise
and of toil, the men who practice the more useful, and to
the settlers the more needful, mechanical callings, the black-
smiths, the millwrights, the masons, the carpenters and
joiners, are the men in most demand, and whose services
may fairly be deemed most essential in starting the ma-
chinery, or, to change the figure, planting the germ from
which is to be evolved that wonderful result, an organized
civil community.

Following the good old New England precedent, the
next thing in order to the subduing of the soil, and the
construction of the first rude tenements for human habita-
tion — or rather, as was far more generally the case, coinci-
dent and contemporaneous with these — were the erection of
the school-house and the organization of this church ; for
our fathers did not believe that any community had the
promise of long life, or possessed within itself the germ
of perpetuity, that had not for its corner stones education
and religion. Tfl both these institutions the feet of infancy
and youth were to be carefully guided, training them in
the one to habits of constant attendance and devout atten-
tion, and in the other imparting to them solid instruction
and subjecting them to appropriate discipline. In the one,
the " chief end of man" was taught from the Westminster
Shorter Catechism, supplemented in the other by the New
England Primer, from which we learned that

" In Adam's fall
We sinned all,"

and other useful les.sons, if not more humiliating doctrines.
The existence of these two kindred New England institu-
tions, and the uses they in part subserved, is pleasantly
commemorated by Oliver Wendell Holmes, when he tells
us that

" There stands the old school-house hard by the old church,
The tree b^ its side had the flavor of birch ;
Ohj sweet were the days of our juvenile trick.«<,
Tho' the prairie of life was so full of biy HvJcm."

In these days, when Young America votes Solomon an
old fogy, and even parental authority at times scarcely
entitled to any better name than usurpation, these " big
licks" would be deemed, in Dogberry's phrase, " most
tolerable, and not to be endured." But without discussing
the question, which finds here, no proper place, I may be
permitted to doubt whether these occasional more vigorous
afflictions, or the gentler manipulations of the rod in the
hands of an earnest but loving mother, whose heart yearned
over the child whom her firm hand was subjecting to need-
ful discipline, ever harmed the subject of them, or failed to
teach him that primary lesson that in a well-ordered family,
as in a well-ordered state, submission to lawful authority
is the first duty of the citizen to render, as it is the most
imperative obligation of the government to exact.

Whenever human society emerges from its primitive
and rude elements, and begins to assume its organized
form, then comes the reign of law, and the creation of
those institutions through which it moves and brings its
powers and influence to bear upon the community. Courts
become necessary in order to the enforcement of rights,



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



207



the suppression of wrongs, the infliction of penalties, and
the punishment of crime. Then the ministers of the law
find their place, and the machinery is set in operation by
which defined and regulated justice takes the place of what
in new countries, almost from the necessity of the case, is
tolerated as the " wild justice of Lynch law." It is not
to my purpose to inquire into the mode in which justice
was administered in the county of Montgomery, in which
what is now Oneida County was included, and which
extended from its eastern boundary westward and north-
ward to the great lakes, including all the territory in this
State lying west of this county. It was in the year 1798
that the county of Oneida was severed from the county of
Herkimer, of which it formed a part, and then included
within its boundaries nol only its present territory, hut all
of Madison, Oswego, Lewis, Jefierson, and St. Lawrence,—
a pretty extensive region in which to hold courts and prac-
tice law. In the act defining the territorial limits^ provision
was made for the creation of a court of Common Pleas and
General Sessions, and. three terms were ordered to be held
daring the year at the " school-house near Fort Stanwix,"
which I need hardly add means Home ; but no Circuit
Court or Court of Oyer and Terminer was to be held in
the county, " unless the justices of the Supreme Court
should, in their judgment, deem it necessary and proper."
The same act provided that a court-house and jail should



Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 56 of 192)