Samuel W Durant.

History of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 84 of 192)
Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 84 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Franklin Pierce to the Presidency, harmonized the discordant
elements of the Democracy in this State, and seemed to do
away with the necessity of two Democratic papers in Utica.
The Democrat was accordingly consolidated, and in January,
1863, Mr. Grove became the chief proprietor of the DaUy
06«er»er, the leading Democratic journal of Central New York.
For more than a quarter of a century he has guided and con-



trolled the destiny of that paper, and under his management
its influence has steadily increased. For several years he was
its sole owner ; but in January, 1867, he formed a partnership
with E. Prentiss Bailey, who bad long been his associate on
the Observer. In August, 1873, the partnership was merged
in a corporation, of which Mr. Grove, Mr. Bailey, and Theo-
dore P. Cook are the trustees. Of this corporation Mr. Grove
is president and treasurer.

In 1860, after four years' service as alderman in the com-
mon council, Mr. Grove was chosen mayor of Utica. In the
autumn of that year he was the Democratic nominee for Con-
gress in Oneida County. But the district was overwhelmingly
Bepublican, and he was defeated by the candidate of the oppo-
sition, Boscoe Conkling. During Mr. Grove's first term as
mayor, the abolitionists called a convention in Utica, which
was threatened with mob violence. While steadfastly oppo-
sing their doctrines, he felt it his duty to afford them the pro-
tection which the law guarantees. By bis vigilance and
firmness he quelled the rising storm, and conducted the
speakers in person to a place of safety to save them from hos-
tile demonstrations in the street. This episode caused consid-
erable excitement, but the mayor's course met the approval
of the commupity, and in 1861 he was re-elected. Early in
his second term the civil war broke out. On the 20tn of
April a public meeting was held in Utica, at which Francis
Kernan, Boscoe Oonkling, Hiram Denio, and other distin-
guished 'citizens made addresses. At that meeting Mr. Grove
presided, and in a brief and forcible speech he defined the
duty of the citizen in that most important crisis in our
country's history. He was re-elected mayor in 1862 by an
increased majority. He retired at the end of his term, with
the good-will and good wishes of his constituents ; but since
that time ho has persistently declined public office. The
management of his newspaper and his increasing business
interests have engrossed his attention, and fairly rewarded his
industry.

Mr. Grove was married, in 1845, to Caroline L. Pratt. His
family consists of his wife, one son, Mr. Edwin B. Grove, of
New York, and a daughter, Mrs. P. M. Gregory, also of New
York. The accompanying portrait is from a photograph
taken in 1878



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



303



in the cities and villages of tliese counties. It is especially
noted for the fullness of its reports of the cheese markets
at Utica and Little Falls, and the hop market at Water-
■ville. Its weekly edition, containing these reports, circulates
in every Northern State of the Union. The Herald main-
tains original literary and agricultural departments, and is
Republican in politics. The circulation of the Daily
Herald varies between live and six thousand, not having
been less than five thousand for fifteen years. The average
aggregate circulation of the daily and weekly Herald is
thirteen thousand. At no time in its history has the
Herald enjoyed a wider influence and maintained a firmer
basis than now.

THE UTICA OBSERVER.

The history of this prominent journal dates back to
1816, when the publication of a weekly paper with the
above title was commenced by E. Dorchester, who con-
tinued it in Utica until 1818, when it was removed to
Rome, and its name changed to The Oneida Observer.

In the following year (1819) it was again removed to
Utica, and its original name resumed. A. G. Dauby, E.
A. Maynard, C. C. Griffith, John P. Bush, John F. Kittle,
A. M. Beardslcy, and Joseph M. Lyon were successively
interested in its publication. The issue of a daily paper
was commenced in 1848, under the title of The Utica
Daily Observer .

In 1853 was united with the Observer the Utica Dtmo-
crai, which was commenced by John G. Floyd in 1836
and successively published by Edward Morrin, Jarvis M.
Hatch, Benjamin Welch, Jr., and De Witt C. Grove; the
latter becoming its proprietor in 1846.

The firm of Lyon & Grove, the first publishers of the
consolidated journal, was dissolved before the close of the
year, and De Witt C. Grove was the sole editor and pro-
prietor of the Utica Daily Observer, and the Observer and
Demoa-at, from September, 1853, to January 1, 1867,
when E. Prentiss Bailey, who had been editorially con-
nected with the paper since December, 1853, became inter-
ested in the publication, and the firm took the name of
Grove & Bailey.

In January, 1872, the weekly paper, under the name of
the Utica Weekly Observer, was enlai-ged to eight pages,
and soon after the Saturday issues of the daily edition were
increased to the same size.

In August, 1873, a corporation was formed for the pub-
lication of the paper, with a chartered capital of $84,000.
The trustees and stockholders were De Witt C. Grove, E.
Prentiss Bailey, and Theodore P. Cook, who are also the
present conductors and owners.

There has been a remarkable steadiness in the growth of
the circulation and general business of the Observer, and it
now ranks among the most influential provincial journals
of the country, and is extensively quoted by the leading
metropolitan papers. Its present daily circulation is be-
tween 3300 and 3400, and the weekly reaches the firesides
of 7200 subscribers.

Its corps of editors and reporters numbers six writers,
whose daily work is reinforced by a number of paid and
volunteer correspondents from various points. The fashion



correspondent of the Observer is the famous " Jennie
June" Croly.

Twenty-one compositors are employed upon the daily
paper. The jobbing department is extensive and complete,
and for many years has done the larger share of the law
and amusement printing of the city and surrounding region.

The Observer buildings — for there are two — were erected
by the senior proprietor, Mr. Grove, expressly for the pur-
poses to which they are devoted. The business and edi-
torial departments are conducted in the front building, No.
1 13 Genesee Street, and five floors of the rear building are
occupied by the mechanical departments of the establish-
ment. No other newspaper office in the country is better
lighted or better adapted to its uses.

THE UTICA REPUBLICAN.

The publication of this journal was commenced on the
22d of October, 1877, by the issue of the Daily Repub-
lican, and this was followed on the 8th of January, 1878,
by the first number of the Weelcly Republican. The paper
was established principally in the interests of Hon. Roscoe
Conkling, and has already won a respectable position as a
political journal. Its circulation (as given by Mr. D. T.
Kelly) is close upon five thousand for the daily edition,
and about the same for the weekly. Its proprietor is Mr.
Lewis Lawrence, and it is published by Dennis T. Kelly, at
No. 9 Liberty street. The editorial staff', including report-
ers, numbers six writers, and the paper has a large number
of correspondents, one of whom, located at Rome, devotes
a large share of his time to the interests of the paper.
The aggregate force employed, including writers, workmen,
and carriers, numbers about fifty persons. The business of
the establishment is upon a cash basis, and exclu.sive atten-
tion is given to the publication of the paper, upon which
the entire force is engaged. The circulation is steadily in-
creasing, and its business prospects are very satisfactory.

UTICA DEUTSCHE ZEITUNQ AND ONEIDA DEMOKRAT.

The original of this paper was commenced in 1853 by a
stock company, consisting of Charles Bierbauer, Paul
Keiser, and J. J. Hamlin. In 1855, Mr. Keiser purchased
the interests of the other stockholders, and became sole
proprietor. The establishment was removed by him from
its first place of publication, on Broadway, to Keiser's Hotel
building, corner Columbia and Wiley Streets, where he
continued it until 1865, when Mr. J. C. Schreiber pur-
chased the paper, and removed it to the northeast corner
of Columbia and Fay Streets, and in 1871 again removed
it to its present location, the southwest corner of Columbia
and Fay Streets. It was published semi-weekly, and con-
ducted as a Democratic organ to 1865, since which, under
Mr. Schreiber 's management, it has been independent in
politics, and has been issued three times per week. In
1872 it was made one of the official organs of the city.
Its circulation is about 1200, — 700 in the city of Utica,
and 500 in the country, — mostly in the Mohawk Valley.
Seven hands are employed, and the office does a general
book and job printing business in the English, French,
and German languages.



304



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



THE GERMAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION.

This association was organized about 1852, and a library
projected with a view to the mutual benefit of its members
and their families. At the present time there are about 50
members, and they have a finely-selected library of 2200
volumes, largely composed of scientific works, and printed in
the German language. It is located at present in the same
building occupied by the German newspaper. The present
ofiicers are Charles Prielmayer, President ; Louis Schneider,
Secretary ; J. J. Hamlin, Treasurer ; Trustees, Joseph
Faass, Frank Sang.

WELSH PUBLKIATIONS.

Y Cyfaill. — This paper was removed from New York
in 1841. In 1844 it was returned to New York, and in
1854 removed to Rome. In 1857 it was brought to Utica.
It was published by Thomas Jenkins until 1861, and from
1861 to 1867 by Rev. William Rowlands, D.D. It is now
published by the Welsh Calvinistic Methodist denomina-
tion, and edited by R. W. Roberts, D.D. It circulates in
all parts of the United States where there are Welsh inhab-
itants.

Y Drych. — This journal was established in New York
in 1851 by J. W. Jones, and removed to Utica in 1860,
where Mr. Jones continued its publication until Jan. 1,
1875, when Mr. Thomas J. Griffiths became its proprietor
and publisher. In 1877 the Bauer America, of Scranton,
Pa., was united with it. The paper is the recognized
national organ of the Welsh people in the United States.
Its circulation is about 8000. Editors, J. W. Jones and
J. C. Roberts.

Thomas J. Roberts commenced business in the Exchange
Block in 1860, with a capital of about $8000 and six hands.
The profits of the business have been added to the original
stock, and at present it amounts to about 1 15,000. Mr.
Griffiths does a large business in general jobbing and book-
printing and binding, his being the only Welsh book-pub-
lishing-house in the United States. His publications are
printed in both Welsh and P]nglish.

The number of writers employed on the various periodi-
cals published by Mr. Griffiths is three, and correspondents
furnish matter regularly from every Welsh community in
the Union, and special writers are employed in the larger
cities. The number of employees in the mechanical depart-
ments at the present time is eighteen. The total circulation
of the difiisrent publications issued from the office is about
12,000, and they circulate in all pans of the Union.

Y Wawr {The Dawn). — This is a religious monthly
publication issued by the Welsh Baptist denomination,
edited by Rev. 0. Giiffith, and printed by T. J. Griffiths.

The Christian Worker. — This is also a monthly publica-
tion, conducted by the " Women's Christian Association,"
and devoted mainly to the interests of the benevolent insti-
tutions of Utica. It was established in 1876, and is printed
by Mr. Griffiths.

THE CHRISTIAN LEADER.

2 he Christian Leader was first published as the Evan-
gelical llugazine, and was at that time edited by Rev.



Adolphus Skinner. It afterwards moved to Auburn, and
was consolidated with The Universalist Union, the style and
title of the paper being changed to The Christian Ambas-
sador. The office was removed to New York in 1861, and
in 1872 it was changed from a four- to a six-page journal,
and named The Christian Leader. It was purchased by
its present publishers from the State Universalist Conven-
tion, whose organ it was, in 1874. Its editors have been
successively Revs. Dr. Skinner, A. B. Grosh, J. M. Austin,
Dr. Sawyer, Dr. George H. Emerson, J. M. Atwood, and
Charles F. Lee ; the latter gentleman being its present
editor. It is in its forty-eighth yearly volume.

THE CHURCH ECLECTIC.

The Church Eclectic is a monthly magazine of church
literature and church work, with notes and news summa-
ries. It is published in Utica, and edited by Rev. W. T.
Gibson, D.D., rector of St. George's Episcopal Church. It
is now in its sixth volume. Its prospectus states that the
" original conception of ' Eclectic,' or comprehensive char-
acter, was to take in what from mere partisan intolerance
was found to be practically excluded from a hearing in this
country." Its pages are open to any " who will not write
against the faith, and who will write what is worthy of
being printed." It is a journal highly esteemed in the
church it represents.

UTICA SUNDAY TRIBUNE.

The initial number of the Sunday Triiune was issued
Sunday morning, May 6, 1877, with Dennis T. Kelly as
publisher. In October, 1877, he disposed of his interest
in the journal to his brother, Patrick E. Kelly, and com-
menced the publication of the Daily Republican. The
'Tribune is independent in politics. It has a circulation of
about 3500 in Utica and surrounding towns. Patrick E.
Kelly and Thomas F. Baker are the editors.

THE UTICA NATIONALIST.

The Utica Nationalist was established on the 24th of
August, 1878, as the organ of the National Greenback-
Labor party in Oneida County. It is a large 32-column
paper, handsomely printed, and with a circulation of 1750
copies. It is published semi-weekly, on Wednesday and
Saturday afternoons, with the intention of making it a daily
paper as soon as the circulation reaches 2500 copies.
Colonel John F. Mines, for several years managing editor
of the New York Commercial Advertiser, is editor and
proprietor. The printing is done by T. J. Griffiths & Co.

TYPOGRAPHICAL UNION.

In pursuance of a call issued for that purpose the printers
of Utica assembled at Temperance Hall, on the evening of
Saturday, April 19, 1863, the object in view being the forma-
tion of a Printers' Union. H. G. Trembley was elected
temporary president, and B. F. Lewis secretary. The
following gentlemen were elected permanent officers : Presi-
dent, H. G. Trembley ; Vice-President, Joseph Ball ; Re-
cording Secretary, M. P. Callender ; Corresponding Secre-
tary, Wm. M. Ireland; Treasurer, B. C. Wright; Executive
Committee, C. W. Warren, B. F. Lewis, J. E. Roberts,
Thomas Williams, C. A. Luce. The Union received its



HISTORy OF GNEID4. COUNTY, NEW YORK.



30p



charter as a subordinate of the International Typographical
Union May 18, 1863, undei: the title of the Utica Typo-
graphical Union, No, 62, Its jnembership was then 56,
which has steadily increased, and to-day numbers 100.
Many of the names upori its roll have occupied positions of
influence in the newspaper world.

Its present oncers are : President, W, L. Short ; Vice-
President, W. S. Mahan ; Financial Secretary, W. B.
Light; Recording and Corresponding Secretary, James E.
De Forest ; Treasurer, W. D. Jones ; Sergeant-at-Arms,
Frank J. Hueston; Executive Committee, Wm. H. Mc-
Oann, W. L. Histed, Chas. B. Ford, D. B. Roberts, R. E.
Rennie.

THE MANUFACTURES OF UTICA.

The manufactures of Utica are numerous and in great
variety, and many of them very extensive. To their in-
fluence the city owes its steady and substantial growth in
population and general business, and the future advance-
ment of the place in all that constitutes a flourishing
municipality will mainly depend upon their continuance
and expansion.

The immense field covered by our work prohibits the
possibility of an elaborate description of each of the many
flourishing and important industries, and we have been
compelled to select from among the number what we deem
the representatives of those branches of manufacture which
may be considered of leading importance, either on account
of capital invested, amount of employment furnished, or
because of their unusual or unique character. A few
minor establishments are included because of their pecu-
liarity ; all others are representative in their various classes.

The statistical matter given has been in every instance
furnished by officers or proprietors, and we have allowed no
"guess-work" to appear in the statements wherever definite
information could be obtained. Every man and every firm
Qf corporation are supposed to know their own business
best, and we have taken whatever the parties chose to fur-
nish upon a careful explanation of our objects in making
the application.

COTTON AND WOOLEN MANUFACTURE.

The most important of the manufacturing interests of
Utica, if we take the amount of capital invested, number
of hands employed, and value of products into considera-
tion, are the two great cotton and woolen corporations
located in the western part of the city. They are pre-
eminent among all the numerous industries which have so
largely conduced to the growth and commercial importance
of the city, and their establishment marked one of the most
important epochs in its history. Wp herewith giyp ^ con-
4ensed description of these works.

THE UXICA STEAM COTTON-MILLS.

The Utica Steam Cotton-Mills Company was organized
in 1847, with a capital of $200,000. The original trus-
tees were Alfred Munson, President ; S. D. Childs, Theo-
dore S. Faxton, B. A. Graham, C. A. Mann, Andrew S.
Pond, and Horatio Seymour. The first or south mill was
constructed in 1848, and is 300 by 60 feet, three stories in
39



height, and has wings and an engine-house attached. It
was, put in operation in 1850 with 8000 spindles, ISO
looms, and a force of 165 hands. Its capacity of prpducr
tion was equal to 1,200,000 yards of goods annually.

The lower mill was erected and put in operation in 1870.
Its dimensions are similar to those of the old mill, with the
exception that it is four stories in height. The complete
establishment occupies the oblong block bounded by State,
Columbia, and Court Streets and the Chenango Canal,
covering an area about 800 by 200 feet, or nearly four
acres of ground.

The chartered capital of this corporation is $690,000,
but the amount actually invested in the business exceeds
|l,0OO,OOO. The number of hands employed is 700, , The
number of spindles in the two mills is at the present time
35,000, and the weaving department contains the equiva-
lent of 1000 yard-wide looms. The motive power is fur-
nished by three steam-engines, aggregating 700 horse-
power. The manufacture is exclusively sheetings and
shirtings, and the product anrjually reaches 6,000,000
square yards, in the production of which 5000 bales of
cotton, equal to 2,500,000 pounds, are consumed, The dif-
ferent widths of sheetings and shirtings manufactured by
this company are stated below :



BROWN,

36 in.
40 "
48 "
68 "
78 " 01



108



or 9-4
or 10-4
or 11-4
or 12-4



BLEACHED.

35 in.

36 "

45 " or 6-4
54 " or 6-4
72 " or 8-4
81 " or 9-4
90 " or 10-4
100 "



All of same quality.



This company also manufacture a very fine and heavy
4-4 bleached shirting and 6-4 pillow-case muslin, of supe-
rior quality. In addition to the label of the mills they are
designated by name as " Nonpareils."

The establishment is in every respect a model one, and
the goods produced among the best. They were among
the most superior shown at the Philadelphia Exposition of
1876, and drew especial attention from both American and
foreign experts. In the matter of awards they stood con-
spicuous in a vast array of superior productions from both
sides of the Atlantic.

The following are the present officers of the corporation :
President, E. A. Graham ; Vice-President, T. K. Butler ;
Secretary and Treasurer, E. Chamberlain ; Trustees, E. A.
Graham, T. K. Butler, T. S. Faxton, Joel C. Bailey, A.
J. Williams, A. C. Miller, and Wm. J. Bacon ; Superin-
tendent, George H. Wiley.

THE GLOBE WOOLEN COMPANY.*

This company was originally organized as the " Utica
Globe Mills" in 1847, with a capital of $100,000, and its
buildings erected on Court Street and Nail Creek.

The first trustees were Alfred Munson, President ;
Theodore S. Faxton, Vice-President; William J. Bacon,
Secretary ; Martin Hart, Treasurer ; Horatio Seymour,

* The first woolen-mill in the United States was erected in Hartford,
Conn., ip 1791.



306



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



Andrew S. Pond, Hamilton Spencer, Julius A. Spencer,
and Palmer V. Kellogg. Samuel Churchill was the com-
pany's agent.

In 1855 the company was re-organized as the " Utica
Woolen-Mills," with a capital of $70,000. In 1859 the
name was changed to " Globe Woolen-Mills Company."
The capital was increased to $300,000 in 1868, at which
it still remains.

On the 6th of September, 1871, the works were totally
destroyed by fire. They were rebuilt on the same site (en-
larged and improved), and put in operation in 1873.

The size of the building. No. 1, is 233 feet 10 inches by
50 feet; of No. 2, 150 by 50 feet ; and each is four stories
in height. The motive-power is furnished by a single en-
gine of 350 horse-power.

The mills contain 20 sets of English cards, 48-inoh;
1 set of American cards, 44-inch ; and are completely
fitted up with Piatt's self-acting English mules, 100 broad
6-4 Crompton looms, and the most approved finishing
machinery of French, German, and American manufac-
ture. The amount of wool annually consumed is 1,000,000
pounds, and the annual valueof products about $1,000,000.
The number of hands employed is 400.

These mills are devoted exclusively to the prodtiction of
fine fancy cassimeres. The goods are marketed entirely in
New York City by Mr. Coffin, treasurer of the company.

The reputation of the goods manufactured by this com-
pany may be judged from the following extract, taken from
the report of the Philadelphia Exposition of 1876 made by
Mr. Louis Chatel, agent for the French Government :

" I have many observations to make, and much to note,
relating to the great progress which American manufactures
have developed in spinning and weaving, but nothing so
highly interested me as that of woolen cloths. In this
branch of industry I found that the goods of an association
called the ' Globe Woolen Company,' when compared with
other specimens exhibited by American houses, showed the
greatest perfection in manufacture. The weaving is very
regular, and the finish, so far from hiding defects in the
fulling, only enhances the even qualities of the cloth. . . .
In making my comparisons, I take into consideration the
quality of the raw material and the relative cost of pro-
duction."

The raw material is purchased principally in Ohio and
Australia.

Officers: President, T. S. Fax ton ; Secretary, Edwin T.
Batsford ; Treasurer, W. W. Coffin ; Agent, Robert Mid-
dleton.

TJTICA STEAM WOOLEN-MILLS.

A company under this title was organized in 1846, with
a capital of about $100,000, it being the first of the great
steam manufactures put in operation. The first directors
were Andrew S. Pond, President ; Samuel Churchill, Secre-
tary; Thomas Collins, Treasurer; Dolphus Skinner, Nich-
olas Devereux, George T. Taylor, Benjamin Cahoon, Ham-
ilton Spencer, and C. Goodrich. William C. Churchill was
the agent. The buildings were erected in 1847, upon
Columbia Street and Nail Creek. The machinery consisted
of 30 carding-maohines, 60 looms, and 2400 spindles. The
number of hands employed was 175, whose wages amounted



to about $36,000 annually. Three hundred thousand pounds
of wool were consumed in the course of the year, and
150,000 yards of broadcloths of various qualities pro-
duced. ^

The works became the property of A. T. Stewart, of
New York, in 1869, under a judgment sale. Mr. Stewart
made considerable improvements and additions, and oper-
ated the mill until his death, and his partners continued
work until December, 1877, when business was suspended
and the mill closed:

ONEITA KNITTING-MILLS. {Jay Street, between First and
John.')

The knitting business by machinery was commenced, on



Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 84 of 192)