Samuel W Durant.

History of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 91 of 192)
Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 91 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


for the purpose, but the increase in the size of the school
rendering more commodious quarters necessary, a chapel
was erected, and rented by the church for the use of the
mission. Mr. George E. Allen is the superintendent of
the school, and religious services are also held on Friday
evening of each week.

BETHANY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.*

The first movement towards the organization of a Sabbath-
school in East Utica was made about twenty years a'l-o.

- Data obtained from the church records.



Near the old toll-gate stood a dilapidated school-house.
Here was organized the mission Sabbath-school, with twelve
teachers and fourteen scholars. Afterwards Mrs. H. C.
Wood converted a small dwelling into a chapel. The school
has made steady progress until this day. In 1865 a lady
missionary visited and preached from house to house, and
in November public service was established in the chapel,
which has been continued to the present time. In 1868
the name of the Sabbath-school was changed to the Bethany
Sabbath-school. In July, 1867, it was decided to employ
an assistant pastor, of Westminster Church, to labor in this
field. It was resolved to establish a branch of Westminster
Church, and Rev. P. W. Emmons was settled as pastor.
The first communion was held early in 1868, and the first
baptismal service followed soon after.

Mr. Emmons' successor was Rev. C. W. Whittlesey.
The congregation, constantly increasing, needed a larger
church, which was erected in 1869, by Mrs. Sarah A. Gil-
bert, of Utica, and her daughters, and dedicated Dec. 29,
1869. The church thus organized comprised 51 members
of Westminster Church and 9 members of other evangeli-
cal churches, — 60 in all, — which formed the Bethany
Presbyterian Church. Rev. G. T. Le Boutillier succeeded
Rev. Mr. Emmons, and he was followed by Rev. George
Van Deurs. Its present pastor is Rev. James Lamb. Its
present membership is 179, and the number of names upon
the Sabbath-school roll 400. F. G. Wood is the Superin-
tendent, S. W. Raymond his Assistant, Huson Moak, Libra-
rian, and Arthur Ballon, Secretary. The Elders are F. G.
Wood, David Everest, Abram Brothers, S. W. Raymond,
T. M. Howard, H. W. Osburn. The Treasurer is F. G.
Wood, and F. M. Howard is Clerk of the Session.

WEST DTICA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.

The Presbyterian Church of West Utica was organized
Feb. 10, 1868. It was the outgrowth of a Sabbath-school
that has been maintained since Feb. 13, 1848. This school,
under the labors of various members of the First Presby-
terian Church, had steadily increased, outgrowing various
places chosen for its sessions, until it filled a new and com-
modious structure that was erected for it on Court Street
near Garden. This building was dedicated Dec. 15, 18C7.
Immediately after a congregation was gathered here that
gave encouragement to form a church, and two months later,
as mentioned above, the church was organized, to this end,
30 persons being dismissed from the First Presbyterian
Church. Their pastor, Rev. Dr. Fowler, heartily encour-
aged them in this, and rejoiced in seeing the result of an
enterprise that had from the first been largely due to his
influence and guidance. Rev. J. W. Whitefield, before act-
ing as a missionary in connection with the school, now be-
came pastor of the church, and continued in this work until
April, 1874. He was succeeded by Rev. A. F. Lyle, who
remained until October, 1876. The present pastor. Rev.
D. W. Bigelow, was installed April 17, 1878, having then
acted as pastor for a year. The church has had 252 names
upon the roll. Its present membership is 150. It has for
some years been self-sustaining. It has always maintained
the free-seat system, and met its expenses by subscription
and contributions. The present elders are Nathaniel Estes,



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



329



Richard Jones, Theodore S. Sayre, George L. Curran, Wil-
liam Marsden.

The Sabbath- school has continued to flourish. About
31 teachei's and 3(10 scholars attend its session:), which are
held in the afternoon, at two o'clock. John W. Gorse,
Theodore S. Sayre, Win. B. Smith, and Addison L. Day
have been efficient superintendents. Mr. George L. Curran
has for years greatly helped all other workers.

HOPE CHAPEL (colored).

Hope Chapel, located on Elizabeth Street, was organized
and the building erected under the auspices of the First
Presbyterian Church of this city, many of the members
being earnest workers in behalf of the colored people of the
vicinity. A school was organized in 1862, and a few ladies
and gentlemen devoted themselves with untiring zeal to the
temporal and spiritual improvement of those who attended
their teachings. In 1869 they were enabled, by liberal
subscriptions from friends of the cause, to erect a very com-
fortable edifice, which was dedicated the same year, when
very interesting addresses were delivei'ed by the clergy
and leading citizens. Dr. De Lanoey, a colored man of
extensive travel and much influence, took great interest in
the enterprise, and made a very stirring appeal to his
brethren on the occasion.

W. H. Morris was settled as a supply, at an annual salary
ofS750. The first regular pa.stor was W. H. Thomas. In
1873, Moses Hopkins, who was studying theology at the
Auburn Theological Seminary, preached on the Sabbath,
coming to Utica for that purpose every week. The Sab-
bath-school was for many years in a most flourishing con-
dition. Among its earnest laborers were Rev. A. Glcason,
Eli Marsh, Theodore Timins, L. M. Lee, and Thomas Da-
vies. The first elders were Samuel Dove and John Cole-
man. The Sabbath-school is still maintained, though there
is no settled pastor over the congregation.

ZION CHURCH (colored).

This church was organized by the colored Methodists of
Utica, and was for a time in a very flourishing condition ;
but the congregation gradually became reduced in numbers,
and finally allowed the edifice in which they worshiped to
pass out of their hands.

ST. John's roman catholic church.
This church was organized in 1819, and was the first
Catholic Church formed in Central New York since the set-
tlement of the country. It was for many years but a mis-
sion enterprise, covering a large territory and ministered to
by various missionaries ; but finally the edifice of wood was
erected, which subsequently was removed to Bleeoker Street,
and the present massive and commodious structure of brick
took its place. The late John C. Devereux contributed
very largely to the erection of the present house of worship.
The first resident pastor was Rev. Walter J. Quarter, who
took charge of the parish January 1, 1835. The first
assistant pastor was Rev. William Beecham, who began his
labors Dec. 23, 1836. Rev. Father Bradley also assisted
the pastor. Rev. P. McCloskey became assistant pastor
Jan. 27, 1838. He was succeeded by Rev. D. W. Bacon,
Jan. 13, 1839.
42



Rev. Francis Farrell took charge of the parish as pastor
Nov. 1, 1839, and remained until his death, which occurred
in December of the following year. He was succeeded by
Rev. John Loughlin, the present Bishop of Brooklyn, who
remained until Jan. 10, 1841, and was followed by Rev.
Thomas Martin, who was appointed pastor at that date.
Rev. Joseph Stokes succeeded him May 10, 1845, and re-
mained six years, leaving the Albany diocese, by reason of
poor health, in February, 1851.

He was succeeded in March by Rev. Francis P. MoFar-
land, who was pastor until March, 1858, at which time he
was appointed tliird bishop of Hartford, in which See he
was consecrated bishop March 14, 1858. He died in
Hartford, October 12, 1874. His assistants were Michael
Clarke, who removed to Carthage, Jefi^erson Co., Feb-
ruary, 1854; William Coghlan, afterwards the first resident
pastor at Clinton, attending its missions until his death in
1863; Eugene Carroll, now at Port Leydeu, Lewis Co. ;
James Smith, now pastor of Fulton, Oswego Co. ; John
U. Herbst, now at Morehouseville, Hamilton Co. ; Daniel
P. Falvey, who died, while pastor at Schenectady, before
1860 ; John MoDermott, pastor at Oneida, Madison Co.,
was assistant, under F. M. McFarland, from August, 1855,
until mid-Lent in 1856 ; and after him William J. H.
Macyer, who remained as assistant until Father Daly took
charge after Easter, 1858. Father Maeyer is now pastor
of Salisbury, Herkimer Co. Thomas Daly, the present
pastor, was appointed by Bishop (now Cardinal) McCloskey
to succeed Rev. F. M. McFarland in March, 1858. His
assistants were Rev. P. J. McGlynn, the first resident pastor
of Potsdam, at which place he died soon after, worn down
with toil and illness contracted in fatiguing missionary
labors. Eugene Carroll then came, and remained until
December, 1860, and was succeeded by William F. Shea-
han, the present pastor of St. Patrick's, West Troy, who
remained until Evacuation Day, 1861 ; on which day
Francis J. Purcell succeeded him, remaining until July 4,
1865, when he was promoted to Camillus and the sur-
rounding missions in Onondaga County, now attended by
three or four clergymen. Father John JNIcDonald came
after Rev. F. J. Purcell, staying until the end of July,
1866; his present charge being Potsdam, St. Lawrence Co.
Rev. P. F. Smith, now at Hudson, Columbia Co., came
after Rev. F. McDonald, remaining until mid-Lent, 1867.
He was followed at once by Father B. B. Grattan, who
stayed until made pastor of Catskill, in June, 1868. In-
mediately on the dismantling of the old church after
Trinity, June 7, masses were said in the coui-t>house and
girls' school-room until January, 1871.

The seats in the new building were rented as pews on
Easter Monday, 1871, the choir and galleries being still
unfinished. The following year, on the feast of Angel's
Guardians, the present edifice was dedicated solemnly, seven
bishops and two hundred priests being present. Bishop
Conroy dedicated the church. Bishop McNearny conse-
crated the main altar, and Bishop McFarland preached the
sermon. There were grand pontificial vespers, with a dis-
course at seven p.m.

Rev. William F. Smith remained during the building of
the church until March, 1870, and was succeeded by Rev.



330



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



James M. Luddcn, now of Little Falls, who acted as as-
sistant until December, 1872, when Rev. Aloysius Murphy,
now of Rome, became assistant until the close of April,
1874, at which time he was succeeded by Rev. Luke G.
O'Reiley, who organized the parish of St. Francis de Sales.
His successor was Rev. Edward A. Terry, who began his
labors on Easter Sabbath, 1877, and has continued them to
the present. The parish of St. John's is one of the most
extensive in the city, and embraces much of the wealth and
culture of Utiea.

Connected with it are the Assumption Academy and the
St. John's Orphan Asylum. The first was founded by
Bishop McFarland, and is in charge of the Brothers of the
Christian Schools, with an average attendance of 400
pupils. The Orphan Asylum .is in charge of the Sisters of
Charity of Emmett.sburg, Md.

ST. Joseph's roman catholic church.

The congregation of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church,
located corner of Columbia and Varick Streets, was organ-
ized in the year 1842, by Rev. Father Probst. Their first
house of worship was a frame building, purchased of one
of the Methodist congregations of the city, and located on
Fayette Street. In a few years its organization had so
largely increased as to render a more commodious house of
worship necessary, and a fine two-story brick building was
erected and used as a school. It is now attended by nearly
400 children. The schools are under the guidance of the
Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis. The present
church on Columbia Street is a spacious edifice, being 200
feet long, and built in the Romanesque style, with two
towers. It was built under the pastorate of the Fathers
Minor Conventual of St. Francis, who took charge of the
congregation in 1858. The church will seat 2000 persons..
The present year a new convent was built on the east, side
of the church, and a fine cemetery is also owned by the
congregation, which numbers 600 families. The present
pastor is Rev. Clement Luifz, who is assisted by the fathers
of the order.

ST. Patrick's catholic church.*

This church was organized on the natal day of its patron
saint, March 17, 1850. Services were held at first in a
temporary building, erected for the purpose, on Columbia
Street, west of Varick, and, in the mean time, through the
unremitting exertions of Father Carraher, who has been in
charge of the parish from the first, a new and st;.tely edifice
was being erected on the corner of Columbia and Hunting-
ton Streets. The completed edifice, which is now occupied
by a large congregation, is 120 by 64 feet in dimensions,
with a lofty spire of imposing proportions. The building
is constructed of brick above the basement, and is in the
Gothic style of architecture. The corner-stone was laid on
the 30th of July, 1861, with solemn and appropriate cere-
monies.

-^ Of this church we have Dot been able to persuade the Rev. Father
Carraher to furnish us any accountj but not wishing to leave it out
of the work, we have given such items as we could procure, and that
seemed reliable. They are mainly from Mr. Jones' work. This church
has a fine chime of nine bells. — Historian.



This church has grown up under the fostering care of
Rev. Father Patrick Carraher, who has conducted its
spiritual and temporal afiairs zealously and successfully for
a period of nearly thirty years. The communicants are
mostly of Irish nationality, residing in the western portion
of the city. The society and its several belongings are in
a flourishing condition. The communicants number 1500,
and the Sunday-school has 275 pupils.

ST. mart's soman catholic church f

The present church edifice was purchased by the first
pastor of the congregation. Rev. Gr. Veith, from the Ger-
man Lutheran congregation of South Street, in the year
1870. Rev. G. Veith continued his relations with the
church for two years, and was succeeded by Rev. J. B. Eis,
who remained but six months. His successor was Rev. H.
Fehlings, who was appointed by Rev. Francis McNierney,
the present bishop of the diocese, in 1873. Under his
ministrations the church has been enlarged, and with its
various additions the building now assumes the form of a
cross. Connected with the society is a parochial school,
which numbers one hundred children. There are also con-
nected with the church three benevolent societies, viz. : the
society of St. Boniface, of St. Aloysius, and St. Stanislaus,
and a cemetery, owned by the congregation, which com-
prises about two hundred German families.

ST. FRjiNCIS DE SALES ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH.

In April of the year 1877 the bishop of this diocese
carried into efi'ect a long-entertained intention of dividing
the parish of St. John's. With this end in view he gave a
letter of instructions to Rev. Father Luke G. O'Reiley,
then assistant of St. John's Roman Catholic Church,
authorizing him to begin the work of organizing the new
parish, to be known as the Church of St. Francis de Sales.
Father O'Reiley began his new labor with a zeal and earn-
estness which inspired most hearty co-operation among
the members of his new flock. They first worshiped in
a school-house which was placed at their disposal by the
city authorities. Within a year after the establishment of
the parish the building located on Steuben Street, near
South Street, was purchased, entirely remodeled and
beautified, and, by the liberality of the members of the
parish, paid for. Connected, with the church is the St.
Francis de Sales Union, comprised of the young gentlemen
of the congregation and several other Sodalities. The Sun-
day-school is also in a very flourishing condition, and the
parish rapidly extending.

THE WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST OR PRESBYTE-
RIAN CHURCH.

The cause in connection with this evangelical denomina-
tion was started in the year 1825, in a room on Catharine
Street. In 1845 the present strong and capacious church
edifice, located on Seneca Street, was erected. It measures
90 by 00 feet, and is capable of accommodating 800 per-
sons. Its successive line of pastors includes the Revs.
David Rees Stephens, Morris Davies, Blorris Roberts, Wil-

f Data furnished by the pastor.



JOHN CARTON.



John Carton was born in the county of Dublin, Ireland, in
1815. He was the eldest son of John Carton and Julia Farrell.
His father died while he was so young that he has no recollec-
tion of ever seeing him. "When he was twelve years of age
the mother, with himself and only brother, Thomas, emi-
grated to Quebec ; and during the same summer settled in
Oriskany, Oneida Co.

During the year Mr. Carton came to TJtica, and engaged
with the iirm of O'Neil & Martin, to learn the copper-
smith business. He remained with this firm until he was
twenty-one years of age, receiving only his board and clothes
as wages ; but it was here that he became schooled in busi-
ness, learned the great secret of success as a business man.



he has had dealings. The success of this model business man,
who during his entire business career has never borrowed
money or had his note indorsed, is only what he deserves.
The e.x-tensive business of Mr. Carton is partially summed up
in the manufacture of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, and
the construction of hot-air furnaces of his own invention. He
also manufactures locomotive headlights, as improved by
another invention of himself. Mr. Carton is also one of the
proprietors of the Ralph Patent Oneida Cheese Vat. He has
been a director of the Oneida County Bank for some fifteen
years, a trustee of the Savings Bank of Utica for several years,
and a trustee of the Ladies' Seminary. He has never been
active in politics, but has been unswervingly identified with the




Photo. Tjy WilliamB.



and by economy and self-reliance so improved these opportu-
nities as step by step in subsequent years to become one of the
most successful business men of Utica.

After having served an apprenticeship to the veteran hard-
ware merchant, Owen O'Neil, Mr. Carton obtained an in-
terest in the firm, which he retained from 1840 to 1845. In
the latter year he established business for himself at 133 Gen-
esee Street. His capital at that time was limited ; but con-
tinued energy and a personal supervision of his business
gradually overcame pecuniary embarrassments, and gave him
the unlimited confidence of the business portion of the com-
munity. During the forty-three years in which Mr. Carton
has conducted business for himself, he has steadily gained in
wealth, as well as the esteem and confidence of all with whom



Democratic party. Brought up under the discipline of the
Catholic Church, he is still warmly attached to its interests,
and a liberal supporter of all kindred institutions. In the year
1844 he married Miss Mary Ellen, daughter of John and
Catharine O'Neil, of Rome, N. Y. His wife was born in
New Jersey, in the year 1824, lived an exemplary woman,
and died February, 1876, leaving a husband and children to
mourn her loss, and a large circle of friends to remember her
for her many virtues. Their children are Thomas, Mary
Ellen, John F., William J., Edward A., Matthew, and Julia.
Catherine and James F. died young. The two eldest sons are
in business with their father ; the second, John F. Carton, was
married to Helen A., daughter of Lewis A. Benoist, of St.
Louis, Mo.



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



331



Ham Rowlands, D.D., Thomas Foulkes, William Hughes,
Ebeuezer T. Jones, James Jarrett, and William Roberts,
D.D., who is the present pastor, and who also is the editor
of the magazine called Y Ci/faill, or " The Friend," which
is the organ of the connection in the United States.

The deacons who have successively officiated in this
church since its commencement were Richard Hughes,
Evan Roberts, Joseph Hughes, Robert Jones, Richard E.
Roberts, and Hugh Davies. The present church officers
are T. Solomon Griffiths, David Anthony. Robert E. Rob-
erts, and John C. Roberts, who is the secretary of the
church. The late Griffith W. Williams acted as leader of
the singing for upwards of twenty-three years.

The present board of trustees con.si.sts of T. Solomon
Griffiths, President ; Richard R. Roberts, Treasurer ; John
Owen Jones, Secretary; Rees Thomas, Thomas Edwards,
R. M. Edwards, and William W. Roberts. The members
number about 250, and the Sabbath-school, on an average,
160.

WELSH METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.

This church was organized July, 1849, under the pas-
toral care of Rev. Mr. Foster, pastor of the State Street
Methodist Episcopal Church. A room was rented near the
present Mechanics' Hall, and the word of God preached to
them by such of the brethren as were accustomed to preach
in their own country. In May, 1850, the present house of
wor-ship was purchased and repaired at a cost of ^2000.
The following ministers were settled as pastors until 1852 :
Revs. Rees Davies and Thomas Hughes. In September of
1852, the Rev. John Jones was appointed to take charge
of the congregation for the ensuing year. Since 1853 the
following pastors have been in charge of the church : Revs.
Richard L. Herbert, Thomas Thomas, Humphrey Hum-
phreys, Isaac Thomas, and David T. Davies. The present
board of trustees are David T. Davies, Lewis Hughes, W.
W. Jones, Thomas Owen, Sr., H. W. Griffiths, W. 0.
Williams, D. J. Davias, and E. J. Perry.

SOUTH STREET METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.

The Methodist Episcopal Church, known as the South
Street Church, was organized twenty-six years ago. It
was first known as the " Corn Hill" church, and with
many of the older members it still bears that name.

The first pastor was Rev. B. I. Ives. Ten pastors have
cnme and gone since that time, and with two exceptions all
have remained their allotted time as prescribed by the
church. These pa-stors were Revs. Hoag, Wells, Olin,
Gray, Harroun, Curtis, Hartsuff, Cooper, Markham, and
Cowles. The present pastor is Rev. W. Dempster Chase.
The present record has 300 members upon its list, includ-
ing probationers. The number of names upon the Sunday-
school roll exceeds 200.

THE FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.

The First Methodist Episcopal Chui-ch of TJtica is located
on the corner of Court Street and Broadway. This church
was organized in the fall of 1866, by the union of the
Bleecker Street and State Street Methodist Episcopal So-
cieties.

The church edifice, including the chapel and lot, cost



about 830,000. It was dedicated by Bishop Matthew Simp-
son, Feb. 2, 1871. The audience-room will seat about twelve
hundred people. Rev. William Reddy, its first pastor,
deserves much credit for the success of this important un-
dertaking. The subsequent pastors have been Rev. R. C.
Houghton, Rev. E. C. Bruce, Rev. L. D. White, and Rev.
T. Kelly. Mr. White, whose pastoral term closed in April,
1878, is now presiding elder of the Utica District. The
membership of this church is at present about four hundred
and fifty. The Sunday-school work connected with the con-
gregation includes sixty teachers and officers, and about four
hundred scholars. Mr. H. G. Clark is superintendent of
the Central school, and Mr. J. W. Rowe of the Mission
school. Besides these gentlemen, prominent among the
trustees and other official men in the church are the fol-
lowing, viz. : Dr. Jacob Hunt, Isaac Estcs, Edward Rowoll,
H. N. Dryer, C. H. Hopkins, J. C. Bates, Stephen Beck-
with, N. H. Hoag, Harrison Gilmore, and P. W. Tefft.

This society is thoroughly evangelical. It has been very
prosperous during the last few years, and is among the iuost
active and useful churches of the city. Connected with
the church is a chapel, corner of Court and Stark Streets,
in which services are regularly held.

THE FREE METHODIST CHURCH.

The Free Methodist Church was organized Aug. 7, 1863,
by Rev. D. W. Thurston, with twenty-eight members.

The society after its organization worshiped in Morgan
Hall, corner South and West Streets, until the year 1865,
when, under the labors of Rev. D. M. Sinclair, then pas-
tor, the present church edifice, corner South and Miller
Streets, was completed and dedicated.- The present mem-
bership, including probationei'S, is eighty-four. In doctrine
they do not differ from the Methodist Episcopal Church,
but in practice they do not believe in resorting to worldly
policy to sustain the gospel ; hence they give no countenance
to modern expedients for promoting Christianity, such as



Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 91 of 192)