Samuel W Durant.

History of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 93 of 192)
Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 93 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


life was built.

Mr. O'Neil was twice married, and was the father of eight
children. Five sons and one daughter are deceased, viz. :
John, Joseph, Charles, Frank M., and Father Ambrose
O'Neil (the latter was a highly educated and eloquent priest,
and died in Albany on Esbster morning in 1870), and Mrs.
Quin, of New York. Of those surviving are Mrs. Bryan, of
New York, and Thomas B. O'Neil. The latter, after being
associated with the business for twenty years, purchased the
entire business, buildings, and manufactory of the firm, and
now also carries on the business, with all its branches, estab-
lished by his father some sixty years ago. He is known as an
honorable, enterprising, and popular business man.




FAXTON HOSPITAL, UTICA, New York



TH BY L» EVEBrS ft. CO P« U* f*



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



335



place, and the beautiful dells, overshadowed by the dark-
green foliage of the hemlock, are a feature of the landscape.

The trust funds held by the association amount to about
$12,000. The' number of interments reaches 6000, and the
number of lot-owners is about 1300. The present officers
of the association are as follows :

President, William J. Bacon ; Vice-President, Lewis
Lawrence; Secretary and Treasurer, William P. Carpenter;
Superintendent, Roderick Campbell.; Trustees, William J.
Bacon, Lewis Lawrence, Edward S. Brayton, Addison C.
Miller, Charles E, Barnard, John F. Seymour, William P.
Carpenter, Charles S. Symonds, Thomas Hopper, Frank Gr.
Wood, John C. Hoyt, and Robert S. Williams ; Executive
Committee, William Bacon, Thomas Hopper, PI S. Bray-
ton, Lewis Lawrence, and John F. Seymour ; Committee
on Trust Funds and Auditing Accounts, Addison C. Miller,
John C. Hoyt, and Frank G. Wood.

The superintendent and treasurer are the only salaried
officers, the former receiving $1000 and the latter S500.

SAINT AGNES CEMETERY ASSOCIATION.

This association was organized and incorporated in 1869.
The original trustees were John C. Devereux, S. A. War-
nick, John Carton. Thomas Bergan, James Merriman,
Thomas Mclncrow, James F. Hone, Edward M. Ryan, and
William Kernan. The original and present officers are :
President, John C. Devereux ; Treasurer, John Carton ;
Secretary, William Kernan.

Upon the organization of the society the trustees took
charge of the old cemetery on Mohawk Street, and pur-
chased about five acres additional, which, with the old
ground, makes a total inclosure of about fifteen acres. The
new grounds were laid off to correspond with the old,
which were originally occupied for burial purposes about
1842.

An elegant and appropriate mortuary chapel, in the
pointed Gothic style, was erected in 1869 and presented to
the association by Mrs. Daniel Jlitchell, widow of the late
Daniel Mitchell, at a cost of about 88000. It is constructed
of dark-colored stone, and is an ornament to the grounds
and an honor to the donor. This cemetery is located on
the corner of Mohawk and Eagle Streets, in the south-
eastern suburbs of the city. There are a large number of
fine monuments, and the grounds are neatly arranged and
nicely kept.

In addition to the cemeteries mentioned, there is a small
one located between Elm and Steuben Streets, near Elm
Grove.

BENEVOLENT INSTITUTIONS.
FAXTON HOSPITAL.

The Faxton Hospital, as the name indicates, was built
by one of Utica's oldest citizens, Hon. Theodore S. Fax-
ton, and is one of the most complete and perfectly-con-
structed institutions of a benevolent character in the State.
It was erected in the year 1874, and the building was
formally dedicated June 23, 1875. All the arrangements
of this spacious edifice are well adapted to the purposes for
which it is intended, particularly the various suites of rooms,
comprising bed-room, private diuing-room, nurse's apart-



ment, bath-room, and lavatories, containing hot and cold
water. The kitchen department is also very perfect in its
appointments, with laundry- and ironing-room adjoining.
The location is especially to be commended for its splendid
view and the fresh, bracing air which the patients enjoy.

It was the intention of the founder to donate the insti-
tution to the city of Utica; but the city fathers not deem-
ing it wise to accept the trust, Mr. Faxton has determined
to commit its care to a board of lady managers, to be chosen
by the trustees, who shall make an annual report of their
doings to the trustees on the first day of February of each
year. The cost of the institution was $50,000, and its
benefactor still contributes an annual sum to its support.

With the contemplated change in its management, it is
confidently expected that Faxton Hospital will accomplish
the end for which it was intended by its founder.

ST. Elizabeth's hospital and home.

St. Elizabeth's Hospital and Home was organized Dec.
12, 1866, by Mother Bernardina, a member of the charita-
ble order of St. Francis. The first patient was received in
a small wooden building on Columbia Street, which was
kindly given by the Franciscan Fathers, rent free, for the
purpose. Through the generosity of Mr. Thos. B. Deve-
reux, of this city, another building was added to the insti-
tution, and, soon afterwards, still another. Provision was
thus made for the accommodation of old men and old
women, and also for the sick of both sexes. In 1868 the
old buildings had to be removed to make room for the new
St. Joseph's Church, and a purchase was made of a house
a few doors west of the former location. This building
was repaired and put in perfect older for the comfort of
the sick, and was finally opened fur patients Oct. 15, 1869.

The design of the institution is to provide for the medi-
cal and surgical care of all persons who may apply for
relief, without regard to age, sex, color, nativity, creed, or
ability to pay, and to furnish a home for the aged and
infirm of both sexes. Those who are able are expected to
pay the cost of their support, and others what they can
afford. By this plan the money of the charitable is applied
directly to the benefit of the destitute poor.

The hospital is under the supervision of Sisters of the
order of St. Francis, an order six hundred years old, and
which is under no other control than that of its own officers.
The Sisters have a chapel for their own use, but no public
religious services are held. Clergymen of all denomina-
tions are cordially invited to visit the sick, to comfort them
in their sufferings, and cheer them with religious consolation
when they are lying dangerously ill. The rule of strict
religious toleration must be closely adhered to by all who
enter the building. Any clergyman whom any patient
desires to see is immediately notified. Most of the clergy-
men in the city have visited the hospital on errands of
mercy, and it is earnestly desired that they will call as
frequently as possible.

Medical and surgical services are rendered gratuitously
to the poor, but private patients are expected to pay for
such attention.

Several years ago a dispensary was opened for the out-
door poor. Since its establishment nearly four thousand



336



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



have received aid, most of whom were eye cases. The poor
continue to come every day, and great good is done at very
little cost.

A room has been provided with a covered bed, such as
is used in asylums, for those unfortunates who, having
poisoned themselves with liquor, are dangerous to them-
selves and to others. Very many inebriates have been
received in a condition bordering on delirium tremens, and
after a short stay have been sent home restored to health.

The hospital will only accommodate about thirty very
sick patients. Every inch of room is economized in order
to do good to the greatest number. The success that has
attended the treatment of the cases admitted depends in
great measure on the perfection of the ventilating and
heating apparatus. When a new building is erected it is
hoped that the arrangements for comfort, cleanliness, fresh
air, and warmth may be even more perfect than are now
found in this temporary hospital.

The institution is far from having the capacity sufficient
to meet the demand? made upon it, and the time is near
when a new building will be required, preparations now
being made for its construction.

The hospital is under the immediate direction of Mother
Dominica as Mother Superior. The surgical staff is com-
posed of Alonzo Churchill, M.D. ; Edwin Hutchinson,
M.D. ; Joseph E. West, M.D.; Thos. J. Bergen, M.D. ;
George Seymour, M.D.

ST. Luke's home and hospital.

St. Luke's Home, Utica, N. Y., was the conception of
the rector of Grace Church, Utica, the Rev. E. M. Van
Deusen, D.D. ; and was first suggested by him in a sermon,
preached in Grace Church on the morning of Oct. 6, 1867,
from the text, Galatians vi. 10. This was before the es-
tablishment of Faxton Home, and when the only institution
of the kind was (the R. C.) St. Elizabeth's Home, on
Columbia Street, and he felt that if a mission could be as-
sociated with the Home the combined work would be greatly
strengthened, and each parish afford valued aid to the other.
Another parishioner, Truman K. Butler, Esq., had been
favorably impressed with the suggestion ; but as little or no
encouragement was given by other members of the parish,
he offered no aid until the spring of 1869, when, finding
that his rector was looking for a location where to begin the
work in a, small and inexpeu.sive way, he tendered the use
of an unfinished building, in course of erection for a fac-
tory boarding-house, which is now the Home, for eighteen
months free of rent, with the condition that, if the estab-
lishment of such an institution could be proven practicable,
after he had completed it, he would, at the expiration of that
period, give a deed of the property. The offer was accepted
by Dr. Van Deusen, and as he desired to take the name of
the beloved physician, the Evangelist St. Luke, for the
home and mission, an appropriate service was held on St.
Luke's day, Oct. 18, 1869, in the unfinished edifice; and
thus was begun an enterprise which for nine years has been
a fountain of such inestimable blessing.

The charter was obtained Nov. 28, 1869, and on the
first Sunday in Advent in the same year the first public
regular service was held in the afternoon, followed immedi-



ately afterwards by the opening of a Sunday-school, parish
day school, industrial school, and night school, with matron
and one inmate in the Home; and in five months the single
friend, who had pledged his aid, was so well satisfied with
the results that he gave the corporation a deed of the
building and lot, without waiting for the expiration of the
period of eighteen months, which he had originally named
as the time for the testing the practicability of the experi-
ment.

This one edifice at once became the scene of varied labors
and duties; other aged and infirm persons were added to
the one inmate with whom the work began. Money, pro-
visions, and ftirniture were freely offered, and a small
chapel in the first story was conveniently and appropriately
arranged for religious services and the administration of
the sacraments. An assistant to the rector was secured,
lodging in the Home. An interested though small con-
gregation was gathered ; all the schools were greatly pros-
pered, opposition was disarmed, indifference removed, and
the rector soon found himself surrounded with a company
of devoted assistants who seemed near to him in the good
cause. This state of growth and prosperity continued from
month to month, till it became evident that so many enter-
prises could not be carried on much longer successfully in
the same building, where provision could not be made for
the increasing numbers in the congregation and the schools.
Therefore the double two-story dwelling next to the Home
was purchased of the liberal benefactor of the work for
I6U00, with a large gift from him of about $2000 ; the
balance of $4000 being secured by the rector in subscrip-
tions from the parishioners of Grace Church What is
now known as the Clergy House was subsequently pur-
chased from Mr. Butler for $4000, he contributing $1000;
the balance of $3000 having been obtained by the rector
i'rom the State Legislature as an appropriation for the
Home.

In view of the continued success which a kind Provi-
dence bestowed upon the faithful labors of the earnest
friends, the rector regarded the erection of a chapel or
church at a period not very remote as a necessity, in order
to accommodate the increasing congregations and the new
accessions to the schools. The proposal was at once cor-
dially accepted : $6000 was contributed, followed by a lib-
eral offer of $1200 by a friend and former parishioner of
the rector, residing in Rochester, with which to secure
memorials of her household, which now form the windows
of the west end of the church ; thus realizing more than
$7000, about one-half the cost of the church. Again Mr.
Butler evidenced his interest by giving to the rector in
trust the large lot on which the church now stands, valued
at $3000, and as soon as ai-rangements could be made and
plans secured, the corner-stone was laid, and the edifice was
carried to a successful completion.

Whilst it was in progress the rector obtained other
memorial offerings from kind friends of $200, $150, $100,
and less, till the aggregate was more than $4000, making
the entire sum contributed more than $11,000. To this
amount, after the completion of the edifice, two parishioners
gave to him one $2000, and the other, on her death-bed,
$500, which, with the donations, amounting to several



HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



337



hundred dollars, from parishioners connected with the mis-
sion, made more than $14,000, the entire cost of the
church. The edifice was soon after consecrated, and has
witnessed the growth of the enterprise I'ar beyond the ex-
pectations of its most sanguine friends.

UTICA ORPHAN ASYLUM.

The act of incorporation of the Utica Orphan Asylum
bears date April 19, 1830, making it one of the oldest
charities in the city.

The helpless condition of three orphaned children sug-
gested to the members of a sewing circle, then existing in
the village of Utica, the idea of devoting the avails of their
industry to the support of these destitute little ones.

For several years the children maintained by the Asylum
were few in number, and a small rented house was sufficient
for the accommodation of the orphan family. It was sup-
ported during this period by the ladies of the " Society of
Industry," and such aid as could be obtained from time to
time, by donations and yearly subscriptions from the citi-
zens of Ulica. As the means of the society increased and
the family enlarged, it was deemed expedient to arrange for
more comfortable accommodations. The trustees accord-
ingly purchased the lot 312 on Genesee Street, and erected
a building thereon in 1848, at a cost to the society of
$5550.47.

The funds for this building were the avails of the industry
of the sewing society through many years and a legacy from
the late Moses Bagg, which amounted, with the interest on
it, to 81215, and was left for this special purpose.

In 1854, Mr. Alfred Munson left, by his will, $34,000 to
this institution, on condition that the citizens of Utica
should raise and apply the sum of $10,000 towards the pur-
chase of ground within the city limits, and towards the erec-
tion of a new and still larger building for its use. The
conditioned sum was raised, and a plot of ground containing
three acres was presented by B. F. Jewett. This, with an
additional acre, purchased by the trustees, is the plat on the
corner of Genesee and Pleasant Streets, the beautiful site of
the present asylum. The corner-stone of the new buildin"
was laid May 30, 1860. In August, 1861, the new
building was completed, and the family removed to their
new home. From the secretary's report, 104 children had
been received during that year, 31 having been sent from
the county house. Since that period the asylum has con-
tinued to receive and care for orphans as applications have
been made from various parts of the county, and occasion-
ally from adjoining counties. From the organization to
the present date more than 1500 children have, at vari-
ous times, received the protecting care of this asylum.

Its present officers are : First Directress, Mrs. Cornelia
Graham; Second Directress, Mrs. Annie C. Northrup;
Third Directress, Mi&s Cornelia Meeker; Treasurer, Mrs.
Emm Mann; Recording Secretary, Miss F. E. Bacon;
Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. Sarah W. Wood ; Managers,
Mrs. Kliza P. Foster, Mrs. Cornelia H. Bagg, Mrs. AMie
C. Churchill, Mrs. Cornelia D. Curran, Mrs. Grace Evans,
iMrs. Sarah B. Foster, Mrs. Mary B. Gray, Mrs. Annette
T. Hunt, Mrs. IMargaret A. Hurd, Mrs. Cornelia F. Jack-
son, Jlrs. Sarah Owens, Miss Elizabeth S Potter Mrs
43



Emma M. Swann, Mrs. Elizabeth H. Tourtellot, Mrs. Mary
B. Waterman, Mrs. Mary Goodwin.

ST. John's female oephan asylum.

The object of this institution is to maintain and educate
female orphan and destitute children. It was organized in
1834, and incorporated March 18, 1848.

Central New York, in 1834, affisrding no protection, no
home for poor little orphan and destitute girls, whose num-
bers were daily increasing, the late Messrs. J. C. and N.
Devereux made application for the Sisters of Charity to
conduct a Catholic asylum and day school in Utica.

This application was favorably received. In the spring
of 1834 three Sistei-s of Charity, from Emraettsburg, Md.,
arrived in Utica to take charge of said works. The con-
dition of the city and its surroundings at that time may
easily be imagined, from the fact that the only means of
conveyance between Albany and Utica was by canal.

The asylum opened with three children, in a small, in-
convenient dwelling-house, the day school being conducted
in an adjoining building, now replaced by a fine brick
school-house. Both house and grounds were the free gift
of Messrs. J. C. and N. Devereux, who also were the chief
support of the institution for a number of years, — in fact,
until its incorporation.

In the mean time, the city had grown in wealth and im-
portance, enlarging the sphere of usefulness for the institu-
tion. The Sisters perceiving this, spared no efforts to
increase the facilities of the house, and to make it equal to
the requirements of the times. To effect this thoy had
recourse to the interest and sympathy of their families and
personal friends, residents of the different States, many of
whom were persons of influence and pGoition, and from
whom they received large sums of money, which enabled
them to purchase adjoining property, to erect additions, and
make necessary improvements from time to time, until the
asylum reached its present truly fine proportions, contrast-
ing favorably with the little story-and-a-half house of 1834.

Its area of land is now about 29,000 square feet ; build-
ing 140 feet front on John Street, south side 200 feet, in-
cluding wash-house, separate from principal building, cow-
barn, etc. All the buildings are about four stories high ;
two covered porches extend the entire length of the rear
building. The hou.se is lighted by gas throughout, and is
heated by three furnaces.

The last-erected building (1864) contains a spacious,
well-ventilated dormitory, infirmary, chapel, fine class-room,
sewing-room, bathing- and wash-rooms, and an extensive
play-room, well heated, affording protection and amusement
in inclement weather.

Thousands of helpless, destitute females, from the ten-
derest years to eighteen or twenty, have been sheltered and
supported within the walls of the Asylum, receiving solid
moral, religious, and industrial education from the SLsters in
charge, who endeavor to bring these parentless ones to habits
of industry and virtue, to become good and useful members
of society.

ASSUMPTION academy.

The Assumption Academy, located on John Street, Utica,
I N. Y., is, as well as St. John's Female Orphan Asylum, a



338



HISTORY OP ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK.



part of the paiish of St. John's Church. It is under the
direction of the Christian Brothers, and was founded by
the present Bishop McFarland, then pastor of St. John's
Cliurch. The academy has 400 boys in constant attendance.

ST. Vincent's orphan asylum.

St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum is an aisylum for boys, and
Is also a part of St. John's pari.sh. It is under the control
of the Christian Brothers, and is partly supported by the
State. 200 boys enjoy its protecting care'.

HOME FOR THE HOMELESS.

The Home for the Homeless is an institution for the pro-
tection, assistance, and support wholly or in part of respect-
able aged indigent or infirm women who are unable to sup-
port themselves. The chief benefactor of this institution
is Theodore S. Faxton, who gave very liberally towards the
fund for its erection. Other gentlemen at the time and
since have been munificent donors for its support. It is
under the direction of a board of lady managers, who make
an annual report of the condition of the institution.

The building, which is located on Faxton Street, is both
commodious and we'll arranged, and affords a pleasant and
comfortable home for its beneficiaries.

HOUSE OP THE GOOD SHEPHERD.

The House of the Good Shepherd is a charity for the
maintenance of friendless children, its labors being chiefly
directed to young children and the rearing of them to a
life of usefulness. The average number who annually enjoy
its protecting care is fifty, and the enterprise has appealed
so strongly to the hearts of the ladies of Utica that donations
come to it freely and willingly. It is entirely supported by
weekly contributions. The Supply Basket is a convenient
means of pi'oviding provisions for the inmates of the House.
A number of ladies and gentlemen each fill the basket once
during the year. Every week the managers in charge of the
House make out a list of such articles as are required, and
send the list and basket in rotation to tlie subscribers, who fill
it with the articles called for, and return it to the matron.
This method has thus far worked well, and only a few more
subscriptions to the basket are needed to make the system
entirely satisfactory. The building i,s admirably planned
and located, thoroughly ventilated and warmed, and in all
its appointments well adapted to restore and preserve the ,
health of its inmates.

BANKING INSTITUTIONS.
THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK OP UTICA.

The Bank of Utica was incorporated by an act of Leg-
islature passed June 1, 1812, and the charter was renewed
in 1832. The first directors were James S. Kip, Thomas
Walker, Samuel Stocking, David W. Childs, Marcus Hitch-
cock, Apollos Cooper, Henry Huntington, Nathan Smith,
Solomon Wolcott, Jedediah Sanger, John Bellinger, Fran-
cis A. Bloodgood, and John Stewart, Jr. Its first presi-
dent was James S. Kip. Montgomery Hunt was its first
cashier. He filled the position until December 30, 1834,
wheu he was succeeded by Wm. B. Welles. Henry Hunt-



ington having been its president .since 1813, in 1845 de-
clined a re-election, and Thomas Walker was elected in his
place. Mr. Wells having resigned the position of cashier
in July, 1863, P. V. Rogers succeeded him. In June,
1863, Benjamin N. Huntington was elected president in
place of Thomas Walker, deceased. The Bank of Utica,
Sept. 1, 1865, organized under the national system, and
was oonvert;ed into the " First National Bank of Utica."
In 1876, P. V. Rogers, its cashier, was elected president, and
John A. Goodale made cashier. Its prefeent directors are
P. V. Rogers, Edward Huntington, E. T. Throop, Martin
Edward Curran, John G. Brown, John C. Hoyt, Thomas R.
Walker, M. C. Comstock, Thomas Hopper, E. Z. Wright,
D. N. Grouse, J. C. Duff, and John A. Goodale.

ONEIDA NATIONAL BANK.

This bank was incorporated May 13, 1836, with a capi-
tal of $400,000. Its first directors were Charles A. Mann^
Horatio Seymour, John 11. Ostrom, John D. Leland, Van
Vechten Livingston, A. G. Dauby, Ezra S. Barnum, Henry
Wager, Jesse W. Doolittle, Israel Stoddard, Charlemagne
Tower, Hiram Shays, and Jonathan R. Warner. Augustine
Dauby was its first president, and Kellogg Hurlburt first
cashier. On the organization of the bank the stock was
much sought after, and the distribution of its shares forms
an interesiing episode in its history. On Sunday, the 20th
of November, 1836, a calamity befell the institution in the



Online LibrarySamuel W DurantHistory of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 93 of 192)