Sheldon B. (Sheldon Brainerd) Thorpe.

North Haven annals : a history of the town from its settlement, 1680, to its first centennial, 1886 online

. (page 30 of 32)
Online LibrarySheldon B. (Sheldon Brainerd) ThorpeNorth Haven annals : a history of the town from its settlement, 1680, to its first centennial, 1886 → online text (page 30 of 32)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Stiles, and to Levi L. Bigelow, for most of the matter
here noted. It is not claimed this record is complete;
on the contrary, it is far from it. Except in. very
few instances, as in the case of the Yales, Htimistons.
Thorps, not a dwelling built previous to 1700 can be
located, and only a fraction of those erected even fifty
years later can be pointed out at the present time.
The fact is, the road-sides of North Haven are historic
beyond measure with sites where "the rude fore-
fathers of the hamlet " once dwelt.


John Hull, site Lyman ^I. Hyde.
Oliver Todd, site Mary Bishop.


Giles Pierpont, site D. W. Patten.
Ezra Todd, site Pierpont Dayton place.
Pierpont Blakeslee, site Elias Blakeslee place.
Joel Blakeslee, east of the Marks place.
Jude Smith, site Lucius Smith.
Yale Todd, site David Blakeslee.
Philip Hull, near Henry Hull.

Mather, near Lewis I. Fowler.

Oliver Smith, site Lyman Bassett.
Joel Todd.


William Sanford, " Pig lane " road.
Joel Brockett, " Pig lane " road.
Washington Jacobs, " Pig lane" road.
Newbury Button, site Riley Marks.

Elijah Htall, near railroad crossing south of the Marks place.
John Pierpont, west of old saw-mill site on Muddy river.
Samuel Sackett, in field quarter of a mile north of the Sackett
Moulthrop place.

Captain Joseph Brockett, site of Jacob Foote place.
Jared Barnes, opposite Merit Barnes.
Isaiah Brockett, site William Brockett.
James Pardee, site E. H. Pardee.
Noah Barnes, east of Henry Pardee.

Finch, on " Finch Hill."



Record incomplete. Here were the dwelling's of
the earliest settlers ©f Muddy river. The families of
Barnes and Brockett predominated. The Robinsons,
numerous now, were later comers. It is probable
that one of the first locations was near the house of
the late Lucius Brockett. The settlers, if anything,
worked rather toward the great meadows than away
from them.

David Jacobs, east of H. F. Potter.

Humaston, north of the P. M. Sanford place.

Jonathan Eaton, on the Culver corner.

Calvin Eaton, east of the Culver place.

Joel Heuton, west of Culver place, on road to Eaton's Landing.

Seth Heaton, same as last.



Thomas Heaton, same as above, farther west on bank of river.

Jeremiah Brockctt, rear of Baptist church.

Moses Brockett site of the Daniel Barnes place.

Titus Frost, south of the George Frost place.

Joseph Grannis, near " Peters Rock."

Peter Brockett, in " Pig Lane," near " Peters Rock."

Benjamin Brockett, site of Lucius Brockett.

Thomas Cooper, site of the Deacon Byard Barnes place.

Beach, south of X. J. Beach, on opposite side.

Enoch Ray, site of Truman O. Judd.
David Jacobs.


Isaac Thorpe, site the Rev. W. T. Reynolds.

Abel Thorpe, site William Hull.

Billa Thorpe, east the Rev. W. T. Reynolds.

Isaac Thorpe, Sr., Bogmine swamp.

John Parker, near pine tree, southeast corner "Green."

Edmund Parker, near the " Pool."

Martin Moulthrop, south of brook, near the Andrews place.

Barns, opposite R. T. Linsley's.

Deborah Dickerman, west Clarence Frost.
Titus Bradley, north of C. H. Thorpe's.
Jeremiah Bradley, east of the Dumond place.
William Waterman, near Bogmine swamp.
Benjamin Blakeslee, east of " sandfield."

, southeast corner " sandlield."

Joshua Thorpe, site of -Charles H. Thorpe.
Rev. Isaac Stiles, site H. D. Todd.
John Humaston, site Frederick H. Stiles.
Thomas Manstield, site W. E. Dickerman.

Beach, site N.' J. Beach.

Ebenezer Pierpont, site Samuel Bailey.

Josiah Thomas, " Misery woods."

Solomon Jacobs, below S. F. Linsley's.

Clinton Jacobs, below brook, south of last named plaec.


In this district stands the oldest dwelling in the
town, the Eri Bradley place. It was built by a descend-
ant of "William Bradley, the first reputed settler in
the place. It is probable also, that the house itself
contains more furniture and odds and ends that link
it with the past generations than any other. "Within


this same district are found two more houses of the
eighteenth century construction still standing. The
following homes have entirely disappeared:

Samuel Jones, opposite the Samuel Morse place.

Tuttle, near "Wharton's brook.

John Clinton, north of Dennis Thorpe.
John Blakeslee, north of Jared Bassett.
Samuel Bassett, south of the Isaac Bassett place.
Enos Brockett, east of the Jairus Brockett place.
The school-house, south of the Timothy Bassett place.
John Hayes, north of Brook, east side street above the Rogers

James Humaston, opposite last named place.

Asa Thorpe, below brook on hill, west side.

Demas Bradley, above Thomas Butler's.

Zophar Allen, back street, east Jairus Brockett's place.

Jonathan Allen, same as last.

Jonah Blakeslee, west of Cyrus Cheney place.


This district has been called the cradle of the Tut-
tle family.

Joshua Tuttle, site of Roswell J. Shepherd.

David Thorpe, north of school-house.

Basil Dayton, site of ilichael Drinkwine.

Manning Tuttle, site of Charles M. Tuttle.

Lyman Todd, north of school-house.

Solomon Tuttle, site of E. C. Bronson.

Abraham Bradley, site of W. W. Buckingham (standing).

George Leete, site of Allen Tuttle (standing).

The latter place is mentioned because rich in asso-
ciations of a century and more ago. Under Landlord
Leete this place became almost as noted a tavern as
that kept by his contemporary, Jesse Andrews.


Sperry, north of Smith's shop.

Seth Blakeslee, east of Dea. Whitney Elliott.
Roswell Jacobs, on turnpike.
Mrs. Darrow, west of Amos A. 'J'uttle.
Philanso Bassett.


Eliada Sanford, site of Gillette.

Willis Bassett, site of Herbert Bassett.

Joshua Simmons, near A. A. Lane.

Capt. Lemuel Brooks near river at crossing at Mt. Carmel.

Nathaniel Stacy, site James G. iMansfield.

"The Pest House," on farm of Dea. Elihu Dickerman.

The location of this building has been somewhat
in dispute, but its exact position was recently discov-
ered by Mr. Dickerman, considerably west from his
residence and n,ear the river. The well may still be

Ziba Shepherd, north Dea. Elliott, on turnpike.
Sperry, opposite Z. Shepherd's.


From information at hand this territory seems less
fertile in historic interest. It was at one time appar-
ently the centre of the Ives family, prominent in which
were Captains Dan, Noah and Thomas. There were
Mansfields in abundance and at one period a goodly
number of Clarks. Its chiefest interest lies in the fact
that it was the first occupied land in the parish and
the home of the Yale's, father and son.

Justus Cooper, site Homer Cooper.
Caleb Clarke.

Todd, site George Doolittle.

Jacob Walter.
Leonard Ives.
Butler Sacket.
Nathaniel Yale, site Gen. E. D. S. Goodyear. -


Some account of the public school building in Dis-
trict No. 4, though erected since the centennial year
of the town, seems not inappropriate at the close of
this volume. It may illustrate the progress made
since the days of the rude school-hoTises of our fathers
less than forty years ago, and also show how difficult
it was to achieve this st£p.


This district more frequently named the "Cen-
tre District," has probably always had a larger enu-
meration of children than any in the town and less
room, per capita, to educate them in. In 1872 the
proposition to furnish a larger school building was
brought foi-ward but voted down. The next year the
Board of Education, seeing the need, declared to the
district that unless better facilities were provided, its
proportion of the public fund would be suspended.
This alarmed the obstructionists and their opposition
was temporarily withdrawn. A new school site was
purchased and jsroposals to build were invited, but it
was impossible to get any farther. For nearly six
years, delays of one nature and another were put for-
ward and the lot remained unbuilt Upon. The death
of Capt. H. H. Stiles, in 1879, a member of the special
building committee, rendered a re-adjustment of mat-
ters necessary, and the district voted to sell the new
site at public auction, November 4, 1879. Its cost at
the time of sale had reached in round numbers, $500.
It brought $157.

To appease the Board of Education and compro-
mise with the more, radical ones of the district, new
furniture was placed in the old building and a tax laid
to cancel the debt.

The population was increasing, and in 1884 the
project to build came up a second time. It was de-
feated. It was defeated also in 18S5 and 18S6. In
1887 it came up again as usual, and in this year secured
a recognition. A committee was chosen to more fully
inquire into the persistency of the petitioners, and the
former unanimously reported insufficient accommoda-
tions, and recommended a change of base. The report
was adopted, and after a thorough examination the
present location was decided upon and purchased in
August 1S87. It was identically the same tract as
bought in 1873, with the addition of a frontage on
Pierpont Park, where once stood the ancient Sabbath
day houses, and later several sections of horse sheds.

;|l^^'l"m'^^l li !







A building committee was chosen as follows: Maltby
Fowler, Edward L. Linsley, Sheldon B. Thorpe, Solo-
mon F. Linsley, F. Hayden Todd.

Plans were approved and the contract awarded to
Solomon F. Linsley for $2,600. There was an
additional outlay for land, land damages, surveys,
maps, interest, &c., amounting in all to $500.80, so
that when in ]\Iarch, 1888, the committee reported
two rooms of the building ready for occupancy it
had cost $3,500. The old site and building were sold
to the Rev. W. T. Reynolds* for $350.

In 1890 a third room (upper floor) was fitted up at
a cost of $500, and steam heating apparatus with
ventilation put in at a cost of nearly $500 more.
The total expense thus far may be rated at $5,000.
A fourth room remains unfinished. The practical
working of the building has been found excellent
in all respects. It is equipped with a finished base-
ment, well, slate black-boards, bell, flag, modern
furniture, and a local library. The course of study
ranges from the kindergarten to that preparatory to
entrance to the high school. It receives many
pupils from other parts of the town, and is by far a
more commodious and better equipped building than
the average country town offers.


The following are the main industries of the town
other than farming and the dairy business:

Carnage Farts — Wood JVork — William E. Smith,
Edwin Clinton & Son, George W. Smith, John F.
Barnes & Co.

Card Printing and Supplies — George S. Vibbert &
Co., The North Xaven Card Co., Tuttle Bros. Co.,
F. Whitney Blakeslee, John Blakeslee, Edwin N.

•Given by hira to thel^irst Eccl. Society, in 1892.


BlacksmitJis — Rowe S. Bradley, George B. ^laginnis,
Gilbert S. Page.

Groceries — Joseph Pierpont, George H. Cooper.
Stephen G. Gilbert.

Saw-Mill and Cider-Mill —T>oo\itX.\e Bros., Origen C.
Clinton, Samuel Sackett.

Ltimberman — Hector W. Storrs.

Titi and Steel Spoons — The North Haven Mfg. Co.

Wagon Maker — George Gilbert.

Cart J/£?/r/-— Frederic Mansfield.

I'ainter — Zenas "W. Mansfield.

Carpenter and Builder — Solomon F. Linsley.

Market Gardeners —Y.2Xon Bros., Hubert F. Potter.

Bolt J//;x^rHotchkiss & Brother.

Poison Sprinklers — Hotchkiss & Tuttle Co.

Grain — The North Haven Feed Co.

Barber — Michael Burke, Jr.

Brick .']//;-:r.— The I. L. Stiles & Son Brick Co.,
Brockett & Todd, Thomas Cody.

Meat Market — Jared B. Bassett.

Flour Mill—y,. W. Potwine.

Utidertaker — R. N. Barnes.


This Association, the largest in numbers, and the
most successful of the secret orders in the town, past
or present, was organized December 29, 18S5. It is
known as Grange No. 35, Patrons of Husbandry.

Its specific objects as set forth in the National
Declaration of Purposes, appeal to those engaged in
agricultural pursuits rather than to other branches
of industry, hence it receives its chief support from
the farmers of the community. Its charter members
were as follows:

H. F. Potter, J. E. Bishop.

Mrs. H. F. Potter, Mrs. J. E. Bishop,

E. C. Warner, Hobart Blakeslee,

Mrs. E. C. Warner, * Mrs. H. Blakeslee,

Hubert F. Potter.


James Heaton, D. W. Patton,

Mrs. James Heaton, H. A. Hull,

H. D. Todd, L. M. Hyde,

Mrs. H. D. Todd, Albert Brockett,

Miss Margaret Blakeslee, S. A. Smith,
Miss Elfie Heaton,

The following gentlemen have served as Masters
in the order named:

Hubert F. Potter, . . . . . 2 years.

Joseph E. Bishop, i 3'ear.

Robert O. Eaton, 2 years.

L. Peet Tuttle i year.

Elizur Clinton i year.

Joseph E. Bishop, (1893).

The present membership is 189. Its meetings are
held in Memorial Hall every Tuesday evening, except
from May to October, when the sessions are semi-
monthly. Membership is open to both sexes of four-
teen years of age and upward, whose pursuits are not
judged to conflict with the spirit of the Order. There
are four degrees through which the candidate must
pass to properly become a member of a Subordinate
Grange. A fifth, sixth, and seventh degree is further
provided for those eligible. The Order is an extensive
one and held in good repute throughout the country.



No public event in North Haven was ever observed
with" such spirit and success as characterized the cele-
bration of its first centennial in 1886. At the town
meeting in 1884, a committee consisting of

Sheldon B. Thorpe, The Rev. William Lusk, Jr., •

Isaac E. Mansfield, Isaac L. Stiles,

The Rev. "W. T. Reynolds, Willis B. Hemingway.

was appointed to bring forward the outline of a plan
for such an occasion, and report at the next annual
meeting. These gentlemen offered a general plan at


the proper time which was unanimously adopted and
a General Committee of sixteen was chosen to carry
it out.

Whitney Elliott, John E. Brockett,

Sheldon B. Thorpe, Theophilus Eaton,

Isaac E. Mansfield, Robert W. Smith,

Isaac L. Stiles, Jared B. Bassett,

Cyrus Cheney, Munson A. Bassett,

Rev.Wm. T. Reynolds, i Romanta T. Linsley,

Rev. Wm. Lusk. Jr., -S"^^^'^^- . Frederic E. Jacobs,'
Charles M. Tuttle, '"^"- ( Willis B. Hemingwaj'.

This committee organized August 3d, with Whit-
ney Elliott, President; Isaac E. Mansfield, Secretary,
and Isaac L. Stiles, Treasurer. The work was divided
into six general departments as follows:

Addresses and Reception, . C/ia/rman, Whitney Elliott.

Music " Isaac E. Mansfield.

Collation " Romanta T. Linsley.

Loan Exhibition, ... •* Sheldon B. Thorpe.

Salutes and Fireworks, . " Frederic E. Jacobs.

Civic Parade, .... " Solomon F. Linsley.

Each sub-committee armed itself for work and
reported in the field in an incredibly short time. It
was difficult to say which was the more wide awake,
the managers or the people. From all quarters, money,
supplies and assistance were freely offered. The plan
provided for an "Old Folks Concert" on the evening
preceding the celebration, and Mr. Mansfield early got
his singers into training. C. Dwight Robinson was
chosen leader and A. B. Clinton, organist. There was
a chorus of fifty voices, comprising the best talent of
the town. Two rehearsals per week were held in
Stiles' Hall.


The Loan Exhibition Department issued circulars
to the people late in September, explaining the plan
of the Committee, and a deputation of young ladies in


each district was secured to solicit articles for exhi-
bition. At first it was intended this display should be
seen in Linsley's Hall, but it soon became apparent
that that building would be far too small, and the
lecture room of the Congregational church was taken.
As the sequel showed, this proved to be one of the
most interesting features of the celebration. Seven
hundred eleven entries were catalogued, and between
one and two hundred arrived too late for classifica-
tion. One thousand catalogues were issued, and
enough sold at the small price of ten cents each,
to defray all expenses of the exhibition. It was not
known until then what veritable treasures were held
in the old town. Their display was a revelation not
only to the antiquarian, but to the amateur. Most of
the exhibits were shown under a novel arrangement
of glass frames. The room was opened on the even-
ing of October 20th, and closed on the 22d. It was
estimated at least two thousand persons visited it.


The concert was held in Memorial Hall on the
evening of the 20th of October. The chorus appeared
in old-time costume, mostly drawn from the closets
and attics of the farm-houses. An audience of 810
persons was admitted^ at least two hundred of which
found no more than standing room. The following
numbers were sung :

OLD folks' concert, memori.\l hall,
North Haveti, October 20th, iSSb.


1. Song of the Old Folks.

2. Montgomery.

3. Sons of Zion Come Before Him.

4. New Jerusalem.

5. Sword of Bunker Hill Solo

6. The Spinning Wheel, . ♦. ... Song and Chorus

7. Sound the Loud Timbrel.



8. Grandma's Advice, Solo

9. There's Peace on the Deep Male Quartet

10. Simon the Cellarer Solo

11. David's Lamentation.

12. Anthem for Easter.


1. Marseilles Hymn.

2. Rainbow.

3. The Inebriate's Lament, " Quartet

4. Invitation.

5. Mortgage the Farm, Quintet

6. Strike the Cymbal.

7 Cousin Jedediah, Solo and Chorus

8. When the Tide Comes In Solo

9. Dying Christian.

10. The Weary Day at Last is Closing, . . . Quartet

11. Blessing.

This opening was most auspicious. It reflected
credit in the highest degree on all concerned, and
served to increase the interest in the exercises of the
following day.


The following order of exercises was prepared for
Thtarsday, October 21, this being the date of the anni-
versary of the signing of the charter of the town in

Sunrise ! Salute of fifty guns and ringing of church bells.

9 a. m. Civic procession.

10 a. m. Public meeting in tent on Pierpont Park.


Music, American Band

Invocation, Rev. Silas W. Robbins

3. Anthem Choir

4. Historical Address,* .... Rev. W. T. Reynolds

5. Music Band

6. Brief addresses.
Hymn — O God, beneath thy guiding hand, . Audience

12 m. Collation.

2 p. m. Reunion on Pierpont Park.

Sunset ! Fifty guns and ringing of bells.

7.30 p. m. Out-door band concert.

8 p. m. Fireworks.

* Published by the author in 1892.


Promptly at sunrise gunner James Mix was heard
from his station on the ridge west of the river, and
the second birthday of the town had begun. Heavy
clouds boded rain, and indeed a little fell, but nothing
prevented the early trains from leaving their loads
of guests and strangers, and by 8 o'clock everybody
was abroad and hurr3-ing to reach their place in the
parade. This feature was swelling to undreamed of
dimensions, but exactly at 9 o'clock Marshal Lins-
ley gave the order to march, and the most unique
procession a country town ever saw got under way.
It moved in the following order :

1. S. F. Linsley and aids.

2. American Band.

3. Singers of the Old Folks' concert, in costume.

4. Centennial Committee, with invited guests.

5. The brick manufacturers' display.

6. Mineral Spring Division, Sons of Temperance.

7. The card printing manufacturers' display.

8. Montowese Drum Corps — " The Sohd 5."

9. The Patrons of Husbandry, with decorated wagon

10. The milkmen.

11. The merchants.

12. The various trades in the town.

13. The "What is It?"

14. The poultry fanciers' exhibit.

15. The market gardeners.

16. A burlesque "^Circuit Court."

17. The Confectioners.
iS. The " Horribles."

19. Bicycles.

20. Carriages, etc., etc.

The procession formed on State street near ^lans-
field's bridge. Its route was iip Broadway to Wash-
ington avenue, north to large elm tree, and counter-
march to St. John street, to Trumbull place, to Pine
street, to Church street, and dismiss on the park. It
was reviewed by the general committee from a stand
erected in front of Memorial Hall, and was dismissed
promptly at lo a. m. No description here can do


justice to its extent and character. The writer has a
manuscript volume compiled at the time, containing
all incidents of the entire celebration, down to
minutest mention, together with the names of partici-
pants in whatever active capacity, which record is
open to public inspection at any time.


The piiblic meeting was held under a tent on Pier-
pont Park at 10:30 o'clock a. m. Whitney Elliott,
chairman of the executive committee, presided. The
main feature of this meeting was the historical
address by the Rev. AVilliam T, Reynolds which was
listened to 'attentively by a large audience. At two
o'clock p. m. the tent was again filled, hundreds being
unable to gain admission. This was the "reunion"
gathering and for many had that peculiar charm
which statistics cannot furnish. Among the speakers

His Honor, Mayor Holcomb, of New Haven,

Ex. Gov. Hobart B. Bigelow, formerly of North Haven,

Thomas W. Ray, of New York City,

Rev. Wilson R. Terry, of Montowese,

William C. Foote, of Yonkers, N. Y.

Rev. Dr. Horton, of Cheshire,

James M. Payne, of North Haven,

J. R. Campbell, pf WaUingford,

The Rev. J. E. Wildman, of WaUingford,

The Rev. William Lusk, Jr., of North Haven,

Whitney Elliott, of North Haven,

The Rev. Silas W. Robbins, of Manchester, Conn.,

and others. These addresses were brief, crisp and
adapted to the occasion. It is regretted no record
was preserved of them to be transmitted with the
other events as a legacy to the second centennial in


The ladies had this important department in
charge It was free, and laid in Memorial Hall on


both floors. The least estimate of the persons enter-
tained between 12 and 4 o'clock p. m. was put at 3,000
and probably reached nearer 4,000 and yet the
resources were not exhausted. It seems almost
incredible that such a supply could have been dona-
ted, and yet it came mostly from the farm houses of
the town. No applicant was sent away empty. Some
little friction arose at first in dealing with so large a
crowd, all hungry at once; for the managers had
not provided for the overwhelming rush to secure
places at the first table. Of the ladies on whom rested
the more important responsibility of the undertaking
may be mentioned,

Mrs. F. Hayden Todd, Mrs. Samuel Sackett,

Mrs. Payson B. Orcutt, Mrs. Herbert P. Smith,

Mrs. Julian W. Tuttle, Mrs. Charles M. Turner,

Mrs. Ann E. Bishop, Mrs. Joseph Pierpont,

Mrs. John E. Brockett, Mrs. Edward Hemingway

and a host of others, together with seventy waiters,
who all remember the occasion as "lively" in the


The weather proving chilly in the evening the
musical exercises were given in the large tent in the
following order.

1. Overture . . ^ Zaiiipa.

2. Selection Gems of OJfenbach

3. Maypole Dance.

4. Jokes.

5. Selection At til a

6. Gallop-Carousel.

The audience in the evening had decreased to
about a thousand persons. At the conclusion of the
concert fireworks were discharged from the park for
an hour and the day's festivities ended.

The entire celebration from beginning to end was
a brilliant success. It was the spontaneous effort of
the people to please and be pleased. It fitly commem-



orated the second birthday of the town and has
passed into history as the most delightful gathering;
ever held within its boundaries.

And now patient reader, with a single illustration
these Annals will close. Memorial Hall stands to
commemorate the first two hundred, years of the
existence of the town. Looking backward, one
would not change its record; looking forward there
is nothing to feai*.



First Settlers— Ye North Village, 8— Formation First Ecclesias-
tical Society, 9 — Domestic Life, 15 — Indians, 15 — Highways, 10 —

Online LibrarySheldon B. (Sheldon Brainerd) ThorpeNorth Haven annals : a history of the town from its settlement, 1680, to its first centennial, 1886 → online text (page 30 of 32)