Sidney Hall.

A new British atlas: comprising a series of 54 maps, constructed from the ... online

. (page 18 of 20)
Online LibrarySidney HallA new British atlas: comprising a series of 54 maps, constructed from the ... → online text (page 18 of 20)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


died m 1713 ; John Play fair, a writer on mathematics and natural philosophy, was bora at Dundee in 1749, and
died July 20, 1819; Sir John Pringle, an eminent physician and medical writer, was bora in Roxburghshire
April 10, 1707, and died in 1782; Sir Henry Raeburn, an eminent portrait-painter, was bom in 1756
at Stockbridge, near Edinburgh, and died in 1823; Andrew Michael Ramsay, a Scottish historian and
political writer, was bom at Ayr in 1686, and died in 1743 ; Allan Ramsay, a celebrated Scottish pastoral poet,
bom at Lead-hills in 1685, and died January 5, 1758 ; Dr. Thomas Reid, professor of moral philosophy, at
Glasgow, who died in September, 1796; Dr. William Robertson, author of the '< History of Charles V.,*'
&c., was bom at Borthwick, near Edinburgh, in 1721, and died June 11, 1793 ;• Dr. John Robison, a mathema-
tician and professor of natural philosophy, was bora at Boghall, Stirlingshire, in 1739, and died in 1805 ; Alex-
ander Ross, a Scottish divine and voluminous writer, was bora at Aberdeen in 1640, and died in 1720 ; William
Roxburgh, M.D., an eminent botanical writer, was bora at Craigie, in Ayrshire, in 1759, and died in 1815;
Thomas Ruddiman, a learned critic, was bora in Banffshire in 1674, and died in January, 1757 ; William Rus-
sel, LL.D., author of <' A History of Modern Europe," was bora in 1746, and died in 1793 ; the celebrated Sir
Walter Scott, was bom at Edinburgh, August 15, 1771, and died September 21, 1832 ; James Sharp, Archbishop
of St. Andrew*s, was bom in Banffshire in 1618, and assassinated in 1679; Dr. William Smellie, an eminent
physician and accoucheur, was bom at Lanark, and died in 1763 ; William SmeUie, translator of " Buffon's
Natural History," died June 25, 1795; Adam Smith, professor of moral philosophy at Glasgow, was bom in
1723, and died in 1790; Dr. Tobias Smollett, a physician, historian, novelist, and poet, was bom at Cardross in

5



Digitized by



Google



1721, and died October 21, 1771 ; John Spotswood, author of a " History of the Church of Scotland,'' was
bom in 1565, and died in 1639 ; John (Gabriel Stedman, author of an interesting '< Narrative of an Expedition
against the Revolted Negroes of Surinam/' was bom in 1745, and died March 1, 1797 ; William Strahan, a very
eminent printer, was bom at Edinburgh in 1715, and died July 9, 1785 ; Dr. Gilbert Stuart, an eminent Scot-i
tish historian, was bora in Edinburgh in 1742, and died August 13, 1786 ; James Thomson, a distinguished
dramatic and descriptive poet, was bom at Ednam, in Roxburghshire, in 1700, and died in 1748 ; Dr. William
Thomson, a miscellaneous writer, was bom at Bumside, Perthshire, in 1746, and died in 1817 ; William Tytler,
author of <' A Vindication of Mary Queen of S^ots," was bom at Edinburgh in 1711, and died September 12,
1792 ; Sir William Wallace, the celebrated Scottish patriot, was bom in 1276, and executed as a traitor in 1305;
Dr. Charles Webster, an eminent physician and medical writer, wa& bom at Edinburgh in 1759, and died in
December, 1795 ; Dr. Thomas Welwood, autiior of " Memoirs of England from 1588 to 1688," was bom near
Edinburgh in 1652, and died in 1716; William Wilkie, a poetical writer, was bom in West Lothian in 1721^
and died in 1772 ; and Andrew Wyntown, was a Scottish historian of the fourteenth century.



Digitized by



Google



Digitized by



Google




vt/r«-




^



^




Digitized by Vn^^^^vf^



-5!?-S




Digitized by V^^LJVIC



Digitized by



Google



WALES.



Xj*. betWMn Al deg. tS mm. and 5$ d«g. 26 mm. N. Lon. be-
tween S deg. 41 mm. uid 4 deg. 56 mm. W. Greatest length
170 m. Mean bresdth 60 m. Superficial extent 4,751,960 acres.
Coontiea It. Cities 4.



Province of Canteibniy. Bishoprics 4 : St. Abk^i, Baagor,
St Darid's, and Llandaff.

Population (in 1821) 717,438 ; (in 183l) 805,256.



The principality of Wales^ long an independent state, and still distinguished from England by difference of
language, manners, and customs, occupies the central part of the western side of South Britain. It is
bounded on the north by the estuary of the Dee, and on the south by that of the Severn ; while it is joined to
England on the east, and separated from Ireland on the west by the Irish Sea, or St. George's Channel. The
general aspect of the country is rugged, mountainous, bold, and romantic. Rich and verdant vales form a
singular and striking contrast to the hanging woods, frowning cliffs, and lofty peaks, which every where enclose
and shelter them. In these a fine deep soil is not unfrequently found, affording an abundant produce of grain.
The ^ale of Clwyd, N. W., is remarkably picturesque and pleasing; and the vale of Eideirnion and that of Con-
way contain fine meadows and corn-fields. The celebrated vale of Glamorgan, S. W., extending along the
shores of the Bristol Channel, is merely a vast sloping bank, falling gradually towards the south, from the moun-
tain's base to the water's edge. The climate varies little from that of England ; the southern counties generally
enjoymg a mild and genial atmosphere, less subject perhaps to sudden changes of the weather than in counties
more easterly. Snow seldom lies long in the valleys, but on the northern sides, and in the deep ravines of
Snowdon, Cader Idris, the Van, and other high mountains, it often remains till an advanced period of the year.
Every mountain bears evident traces of having been formerly well wooded, large roots and stumps being con-
stantly turned up; and since the establishment of English laws and tranquil government, extensive plantations
have taken place. The oak attains here a considerable size ; and ash, sycamore, beech, Welsh elm, walnut, moun-
tain-ash, willow, and holly, are indigenous and abundant ; but the most extensively planted and flourishing tree
is the larch. Agriculture is pursued with assiduity, though attended with difficulties, chiefly arising from the
narrow extent of fertile soil. Only in the valleys on the coast can wheat be grown ; and the highlands afford
crops of oats, some barley, and short hay. The breed of horses is heavy headed and thick shouldered. The
farm-horse in general is small, not well formed, but strong, hardy, and uncommonly gentle. The rearing of
black-cattle is one of the most profitable branches of farming. Goats have been banished totally from the Welsh
mountains ; but sheep, more valuable for their wool and as animal food, cannot be dispensed with, though their
pastures have within the last half-century been much curtailed. Badgers, wild cats, martens, weasels, hedge-
hogs, squirrels, and otters, are among the most usual wild quadrupeds. Foxes are rather scarce, but hares and
rabbits are found in great abundance. The varieties of the feathered tribe resemble those of England. Game is
very plentiful ; woodcocks, pheasants, and partridges, are numerous, but grouse do not appear frequently in this
country*

The manufactures and productions of Wales are important. Iron and coal mines abound, especially in Gla-
morganshire, where are also extensive establishments for smelting copper and iron. Every species of tin and
iron work is made here ; copper is manufactured mto sheets, bolts, and many other articles at Swansea. Brass,
lead, copper-wire, &c., are wrought at Holywell and elsewhere. The manufacture of slate, if it may be so
termed, is among the most extensive and most profitable. At Bangor is carried on that of writing-slates,
chimney-pieces, inkstands, and various other useful articles formed from slate. The woollen trade in various
branches is established in this county, fine cloth being made chiefly in North Wales. Cottons and cotton
twist are manufactured in different places ; and the silk manufacture has lately been commenced. The principal
agricultural products are those of gram and herds of cattle. The mountains of Wales are the loftiest in South
Britain The Cambrian range, as it is termed by geologists, includes Snowdon, rising to the height of 3557 feet



Digitized by



Google



above the level of the sea; Cader Idris 3550 feet; Arranffowdy 2955 feet; Arraneg 2812 feet; Cader Ferwyn
2566 feet; Moel Elio 2366 feet ; Carn David 3429 feet; Cam Llewellyn 3471 feet; Plynlimmon 2462 feet;
Carmarthenvan 2598 feet; Capellante 2395 feet; Cradle Mountain 2513 feet; Brecknock Beacon 2864 feet ;
and Radnor Forest 2 1 65 feet ; besides some others varying in altitude from 1 000 to 2000 feet. The most important
mineral products are porphyry, whinstone, slate, micaceous schist, limestone, coal, which is raised in vast
quantities; large blocks of serpentine, of extraordinary beauty; lead-ore, silver, copper, ironstone, and
several varieties of marble of a fine quality. Among the principal lakes may be mentioned Uie Lake of
Bala, which extends eight miles in length, being the largest in North Wales. The Lakes of Llanberis are
accompanied by the most sublime scenery in Snowdonia. The only lake of any magnitude in the south
of Wales is called Llyn Savathan, or Llangor*s Pool, which is situated in the county of Brecon. Some
of the noblest rivers of England have their sources in the Cambrian Alps. Plynlimmon is the parent of many
streams ; and here the river Severn gushes from a well, and falling down the mountain side quits its native country
below the town of Montgomery. Near the Severn head are the springs whence issue the Rhydol and the Wye ;
the former of which falls into the sea at Aberystwith, and the latter into the Bristol Channel below Chepstow.
Besides these in South Wales, are the Ystwyth, Aeron, and Teify ; the Dougledge, the East Cleddy, and the
Towy, which falls into the sea at Llaugharne. The Loughor, Tawe, Neath, Ogmore, and Taffy are navigable
only for short distances. The rivers in the northern part of the country are the most remarkable. The Dee is
regarded as rising in the Berwyn Hills, and it falls into a great estuary, which separates Wales from England.
The Conway ranks second after the Dee, and Uyn Conway, in the mountains of Carnarvonshire, is its chief
fountain ; and the Machao, liedder, and liugwy its principal tributaries. The Cefni, Dulas, and Braint, are
the lai^est among the trifling rivulets of Anglesea. The Glasslyn, Dwyrhyd, Maw, Dysynwy, and Dyfi^ have
their estuaries on the Merionethshire coast.

When Julius Csesar invaded Britain the country between the Severn and the sea, since called Cambria, was
inhabited by Uie Silures, Dimettt, and Ordovices. The Romans having overpowered the aborigines, reduced
their country to a province, and gave it the name of Britannia Secunda. After the retreat of the Romans it was
distracted by intestine feuds, and the people were harassed by the frequent incursions of the Saxons, who im-
posed upon the Cambrians the appellation of Welshmen (strangers). About 843 Roderic Mawr united the
different petty states into one principality ; wliich, being again divided Bftet his death, was reunited by Howel
Dda, who shed a lustre over this part of the Cambrian annals by the prudence of his conduct and the wisdom of
his laws ; and the death of this benevolent prince was the signal for the return of anarchy and bloodshed. The
Danes took advantage of the unsettled state of affairs, and ravaged the southern part of die country. In 1091,
during these domestic feuds, Robert Fitzhamon, a Norman baron, boldly undertook the conquest of South Wales;
but he only succeeded in subjugating the territory of Glamorgan, while other adventurers from the same country
extended their sway over various parts of the frontiers. From this p^iod the history of the brave Cambrians, as
an independent nation, hastens to a close; and, in the year 1282, Edward I. completed the entire
conquest of Wales, and united it to England. Henry Vll., in his contest for the crown, received much
assistance from the inhabitants of the principality, and he was not forgetful of their services, for under this
monarch several statutes favourable to the Welsh were enacted; and, in the reign of Henry VIII., justices of the
peace were appointed to protect the people from the lords marchers, or English border governors. He also
established the administration of the laws upon a more solid and just foundation, and his enactments formed the
basis of what was called the great sessions of Wales ; a system which continued in operation until the year 1831,
when the Welsh judicature was abolished, and the legal administration of the several counties connecied
according to their relative position with the Oxford or Western Circuit.

Eminent natives of Wales : Gildas, a British historian of the sixth century ; Giraldus Cambrensis, a British
historian of the twelfth century ; Owen Glendower, called Prince of Wales ; David ap Owylym, a poet, who
died about 1400 ; Edward, Lord Herbert, of Cherbury, died in 1648 ; the Rev. Geo. Herbert, younger brother
of the preceding ; Lord Chief Justice Renyon, died at Bath, 1802 ; Richard Nash, Master of the Cei^monies at
Bath, bom at Swansea, 1674, died 1761 ; Thomas Pennant, an eminent writer on natural history and
antiquities; Rev. Dr. Richard Price; and Dr. Abraham Rees, the learned editor of ** Chambers's Cyclopaedia.*'



Digitized by.



Google



NORTH W^ LES.



ISLE OF ANGLESEY.



GiwtMt length t8 m. Greatest Iveadth 13 m. Superficial
extent 17S,440 Mree. Boondaries: N. the Irish Sea; £. M«aai
Strait; S. and W. the Irish Sea. Hundreds 6. Parishes 74.
Market*towns t : Beaumaris and Newhoroagh.

Diooese of Bangor. £ndowed grammar- school^ with uniTersitj
privileges, at Beaoinaris.

I held at Beaumaris. Members of Psrliament, 1 for the



coonty, and 1 for the conjoint boionghs of Beaomaris, Qdlyhevi.
liangeihi, and Amlwch.

Polling-places for the Coonty— Beanmaris, Holyhead, and Llan-
gefni.

Population (in 1821) 45»063 ; (in 18S1) 48,395. Assessment
for poor and county rates (in 1826) 17,341<.; (in 1830) 19496<.



CARNARVONSHIRE.



Greatest length 48 m. Greatest breadth 23 m. Superficial
extant 348,160 acres. Boundaries : N. Menai Strait and the Irish
Sea ; £. Denbighshire snd Merionethshire ; S. and W. St. George's
Chsmiel. Hundreds 7. Parishes 68. City 1 : Bsngor. MariEOt-
towns 5 : Camarron, Conway, Cricoaeth^ Nerin, and PwUheli.

Diocese of Bangor. Endowed gramnuuNKhool, with unireraity
privileges, at Bangor.



Assises held at Camanron* Members of Parliament, 1 for the

county, and 1 for the conjoint boroughs of Carnarvon, Bangor,
Pwllheli, Conway, Criooaeth, and Nevin.

Pefiingwplaoeaforthe County— Carnarvon, Conway, CapelCer-
rig, and Pwllheli.

PopulaUon (in 1821) 57.958 ; (in 1831) 65,753. Assessment
for poor and county rates (in 1826) 21,776/.; (in 1830) 23,440<.



DENBIGHSHIRE.



Greatest length 50 m. Greatest breadth 20 m. Superficial
extent 405,120 acres. Boundaries: N. Irish Sea; £. Flintshire
and Shropshire; S. Montgomeryshire and Merionethshire; and
W. Carnarvonshire. Hundreds 12. Parishes 57. Market-
towns 4 : Denbigh, Ruthin, Wrexham, and Llanrwst.

Diooese of Bangor and St. Asaph. Endowed giammar-scfaool,
with university privileges, at Ruthin.



Assises held at Denbigh. Members of Parliament, 2 for the
county, and 1 for the conjoint boroughs of Denbigh, Holt, Ruthin,
and Wrexham.

. Polling-places for the County— Denbigh, Wrexham, Llanrwst,
Llangollen, and Ruthin.

Population (in 1821) 76,511 ; (in 1&31) 83,167. A««^>ff»iBnt
for poor and oounty rates (in 1826) 38,548/; (in 1830) 41,139/.



FLINTSHIRE,



Greatest length 33 m. Greatest breadth 11 m. Superficial
extent 156,160 acres. Boondaries: N. Irish Sea and the estuary
of the Dee; £. Cheshire; S. and W. Denbighshire. Hundreds 5.
Parishes 28. City 1 : St. Asaph. Market-towns 2 : Holywell snd
Caerwys.

Diooese of St. Asaph, exdutive of a few parishes belonging to
tfast of Chester.



Assizes held at Flint Members of Parliament, 1 for the county,
and 1 for the conjoint boroughs of Flint, Rhyddhm, Overton, Ceeiw
wys, Caergwrley, St. Asaph, Holywell, and Mold.

Polling-places for the County — Flint, Rhyddlan, and Overton.

Populationj[in 1821) 53,784; (in 1831) 60,012. Assessment
for poor snd oounty rates (in 1826) 22,301i.; (in 1830) 25,513/.



MERIONETHSHIRE.



Greatest length 40 m. Greatest bresdth 36 m. Superfioisl
extent 424,320 acres. Boundaries : N. Carnarvonshire and Den-
bighshire; £. Montgomeryshire; S. Cardiganshire ; W. Irish Sea.
Hondrede 6. Pariahea 37. Market-towns 4 : Harlech, DolgeUj,
Binasmowddu, and Bala.

Diocese of Bangor.



Assizes held at Harlech. Members of Parliament, 1 for the

county.
PoUing^places— Harlech, Bala, Dolgelly, Towyu, and<]!orwenj
Population (in 1821) 34,382; (in 1831) 35,609. Assessment

for poor and county rates (in 1826) 16,454/. ; (in 1830) 16,760<.



MONTGOMERYSHIRE.



Greatest length 40 m. Greatest bresdth 9f m. Superficisl
extent 536,920 acres. Bonndaiies: N. Denbighshire and Me-
rioneth ; £. Shropshire; S. Radnorshire ; W. Merioneth and Car-
diganshire. Hundreds 6. Parishes 47. Market-towns 6 : Mont-
gomery, Llanfyllin, Welslipool, J^ewtown, Machy&lletb, and



Qiooeses of St Ajupb, Bn^^ ^j Harsfont



Assizes held at Montgomery. Members of Parliament, 1 for
the oounty, and 1 for the conjoint boroughs of Montgomezy, Lla-
nidloes, Welshpool, MachyoUech, LlanfylUn, and Newtown.

Polling-places for the Countj— Montgomery, Llanidloes, Ma*
chynlleth, Llanfyllin, and Llanfair.

Population (in 1821) 59,899; (in 1831) 66,485. Assessment
for poor and count/ rates (in 1826) 35,324^.; (in 1830)38,6661



Digitized by



Google



SOUTH WALES.



BRECKNOCKSHIRE.



Gnitett Iflogth SS m. GnttMt lirMdth St m. Sap«rfieial
ttrtent 482,560 aorM. BoondiriM : N. Cwdigaiisliire and Had-
oofihire; £. Harefordihire nd Monmontliahiie ; S. GlamorgBu-
shiia; and W. Cannarthanahira. Hundreda 6. Pariahaa 61.
Marint-towna 4: Brecon, or Breckaook, Bniltli, Hay, and Ciiek-



Dioeeae of St Darid'a.

Aaaiaea held at Bieoon* Meniben of ParliaaMBt, 1 lor tb»
conntj, and 1 for the borough of Breoon.

FoUing-place for the County — Brecon.

Population (in 18tl) 43,603; (in 1831) 48,3t5. AtaeaanMBt
ftrpoorandooonty imtea (inl826) 19,389/.; (in 1830) fO,9S8|.



CARDIGANSHIRE.



Greateat length 47 m. Greateat breadth tO m. Superficial
aortent 432,000 acrea. Boundariea: N. St. George'a Channel and
Merionethahire; £. Radnorahire and Brecon; 8. Cannarthenahire
and Pembroke; and W. St. George'a Channel. Hundreda 5.
Pariahea 64. Market-towna 6 : Cardigan, Aberyatwtth, Tregaron,
and Lampeter, or lianbeder, Lanbaderaftwr, and lianaith.

Dioeeae of St Darid'a.



Aaaiaea held at Cardigia. Membera of Parliament 1 finr the
county, and 1 for the conjoint boroa|^ of Cardigan, Aberyatwith,
Adpar, and Lampeter.

PoUing-placea for the County — Cardigan, Aberyatwith, Lam-
peter, and Tregaron.

Population (in 1821) 57,784 ; (in 1831) 64,780. AnaeaamiMf
for poor and county ratea (in 1826) I8,584t ; (in 1830) 20,685/.



CARMARTHENSHIRE.



Greateat length 48 m. Greateat breadth 25 m. Superficial
extent 623,360 acrea. Boundariea: N. Cardiganahire; £. Breck-
noekahiie ; S. Glamorganabire and the Bristol Channel; W. Pem-
bfokeahire. Hundreda 6. Pariahea 87. Marketrtowna 8 : Car-
marthen, Kidwelly, LlandiloTawr, Llandoveiy, Llangadoe, Llangh-
ame, Newcaatle-in-Emlyn, and Lhnelly.

Dioeeae of St DaWd'a, Endowed grammar-achool, with uni-
veraity priTilegea, at Carmarthen.



Aaaiaea held at Caimaiihen. Memben of ParUamaot 2 for the
county, and 1 for the conjoint borough of Cannarthen and Uanelly.

Polling-plaeea for the County — Carmarthen, LlandiloTawr, Uan-
doTery, Neweaatle, St. Clare, Llanelly, and Llanaawell.

Population (in 1821) 90.239 ; (in 1831) 100,655. Aaaeannait
for poor and county ratea (in 1826) 35,2771. ; (in 1830) 37 ,957^.



GLAMORGANSHIRE.



Greatest length 50 m. Greateat breadth 24 m. Superficial
extent 506,880 acrea. Boundaries: N. Carmarthenabira and
Brecknockahire ; E. Monmouthshire; and S. and W. Briatol Chan-
nel. Hundreds 10. Parishes 118. City 1 : Llandaff. Market-
towns 8 : Cardiff, Swansea, Caerphilly, Neath, Bridgend, Llan-
triaiaint Cowbridge, and Merthyr Tydvil.

Dk>ceaea of Llandaff and St Darid'a. Endowed grammar-
Bchool, with unireraity privilegea, at Cowbridge.

Aaaiaea held at Cardiff. Membera of Parliament, 2 for the



eounty, 1 for the borough of Merthyr Tydril, 1 for the conjoint
borougha of Cardiff, Cowbridge^ and Llantriaaaint end 1 for the
conjoint borougha of Swansea, Aberavon, Kenfig, Lloughor, and
Neath.

Polling-placea for the County— Cardiff, Bridgend, Swanaea,
Neath, and Merthyr Tydrfl.

Population (in 1821) 107,737 ; (in 1831) 126,61 2. Asaeaame^
for poor and county ratea (in 1826) 38,253^.; (in 1830) 42,301/.



PEMBROKESHIRE.



Greateat length 35 m. Greateat breedth 29 m. Superficial
extent 390,400 acres. Boundaries : N. St George'a Channel and
Cardiganahire ; B. Carmarthenshire ; and S. and W. Iriah Channet
Hundreda 7. Parishes 145. City 1.: St Darid'a. Market-
towna 8: Pembroke, Ha?erfordweet Tenby, Fiahguard, Kil-
gairen, Newport, Narberth, and Milford.

Dioeeae of St. David's. Endowed graaunar-school, with uni-
Yeraity privileges, at Haverfordweet

Aaaiaea held at Haverfordwest Membera of Parliament 1 for



the county, 1 for the conjoint borougha of Pembroke, Milford,
Tenby, and Wiston, and 1 for the conjoint boroughs of Haver-
fordwest, Fishguard, and Narberth.

Polling-placea for the County—Pembroke, Hav e rfordweat Nar-
berth, Fishguard, Newport^ Tenby, and Mathry.

Popuktion (in 1821) 74,009; (in 1831) •81,424. Aaaeasment
for poor and county ratea (in 1826) 26,933<.; (in 1830)
28,308t



RADNORSHIRE.



Greatest length 30 m. Greateat breadth 25 m. Superficial |
extent 272,640 acrea. Boundariea: N. Montgomerysfaire ; £.
Shropshire and Herefordshire ; S. Brecknockshire ; W. Cardigan-
ahire and Brecknockshire. Hundreds 6. Parisbea 52. Ma^ke^
tswna 4: Radnor or New Radnor, Preateign, Knighton, and
Rhayadergowy.

Dioceses of Hereford and St David's.



Assises held at Preateign. Membera of Parliament 1 finrtbe
county, and 1 for the conjoint borougha of New Radnor^ Cefo-
Llys, Knighton, KnucUaa, Preateign, and Rhayadergowy.

Polling-places for the County^New Radnor, Preateign, Rhay*
ader, Painscastle, Colwyn, Knighton, and Pen-y-Bont

Population (in 1821) 22,459 ; (in 18Sl) 24,651. A s ses s men t
for poor and county rates (in 1826) 14,4841. ; (in 1830) 15,296Z.



Digitized by



Google



SHIRE OF ABERDEEN.
GrMtMt length 85 m. Greatest breadth 40 m. Superficial ex-
tent 1950 square miles. Parishes 85.
Member of Parliament, 1 fi»r the oonnty.
Popalation 177,600.

SHIRE OF ANGUS, or FORFAR.
Gteetest length 48 m. Greatest breadth 4t m. Superficial ex-
tent 1016 square milee. Parishes 53.
Member of Parliament, 1 for the ooontj.
Popolatioa 139,600*

SHIRE OP ARGYLL.
Greatest length 115 m. Greatest breadth S3 m. Superficial ex-
tent 2735 square miles. Parishes 49.
Member of Pariiament, 1 for the county.
Population 101,400.

SHIRE OF AYR.

Greatest length 80 m. Greatest breadth 32 m. Superficial ex-
teot 1600 square miles. Parishes 46.
Member of Parliament, 1 for the county.
Population 145,100.

SHIRE OF BANFF.

Greatest length 36 m. Greatest breadth 16 m. Superficial ex-
tent 900 square miles. Parishes 24.
Member of Parliament, 1 for the county.
Population 48,600.

SHIRE OF BERWICK.

Greatest-length 34 m. Greatest breadth 19 m. Superficial ex-
tent 476 square miles. Parishes 32.
Member of Parliament, 1 for the county.
Popnlstifln 34,000.

SHIRE OF BUTE;

COMPKISIKQ THE ISLES 01 BUTE AKD ARRAIT.

liU qf B«tt«~Greate8t length 18 m. Greatest breadth 5 m.
Parishes 2.

liU of Jrrofu— Greatest length 24 m. Greatest breadth 14 m.
Parishes 2.

Member of Pailiament, 1 for the count/.

Population 14,200.

SHIRE OF CAITHNESS.

Greatest length 35 m. Greatest breadth 22 m. Superficial ex-
tent 61B square miles. Parishes 10.
Member of Parliament, 1 for the county.
Population 34,500.

SHIRE OF CLACKMANNAN.
GreHest length 9 m. Greatest breadth 8 m. Superficial extent
AS square miles. Parishes 4.
Member of Parliament, 1 for the county, conjointly with Kinross.
Population 5600.

SHIRE OF CROMARTY.

Greetestiength 16 m. Greatest breadth 7 m. Superficial ex-
tent 344 square miles, including sereral detached portions.
Meniber of Parliament, 1 for the county, conjointly with Ross.
Population. See Ron,



SHIRE OF DUMBARTON.

Greatest length 40 m. Greatest breadth 12 m. Soperfidsl ex-
tent 230 square miles. Parishes 12.
Member of Parliament, 1 for the county.
Population 33,200.

SHIRE OF DUMFRIES.

Greatest length 60 m. Greatest breadth 30 m. Superficial ex-


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 18 20

Online LibrarySidney HallA new British atlas: comprising a series of 54 maps, constructed from the ... → online text (page 18 of 20)