S.J. Clarke Publishing Company.

A biographical record of Calhoun County, Iowa online

. (page 29 of 71)
Online LibraryS.J. Clarke Publishing CompanyA biographical record of Calhoun County, Iowa → online text (page 29 of 71)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in controlling the incorrigibles so success-
fully that the school board retained him at
an advance in salary of ten dollars a month
above the usual contract price, and at the end
of the term the board re-employed him for
V the following year. He taught in all six-
teen terms of school, including the prin-
cipalship of the Dajion schools.

During the time he was teaching he be-
gan the study of medicine under the direc-
tion of O. E. Evans, M. D., of Gowrie,
Iowa. To the eflficiency of the instruction
and good advice of Dr. Evans, Dr. Town-
send gives great credit for his success in his
chosen profession. He attended a course of
lectures at the College of Physicians, at
Keokuk, during 1879-80, and afterward at-
tending at Chicago and graduating at the
College of Physicians and Surgeons; at Des
Moines, March 4, 1887. Since graduating
he has taken three courses in clinical med-
icine and surgery. In the fall of 1887 he
became a member of the Central District
Medical Association, and in 1888 a member
of the Iowa State Society. In 1890 he was
a delegate from the State Medical Society
to the American Medical Association, which
met at Nashville, Tennessee; was a del^fate
a second time to the American Association,



at Atlanta, Georgia, in 1896; and again a
third time, in 1901, the American Associa-
tion meeting that year being held at St. PauU
Minnesota. He was one of the delegates
appointed by Governor Leslie M. Shaw to
represent Iowa in the International Associa-
tion, for the investigation of tuberculosis,,
at London, P2ngland, in July, 1901.

On the 15th of May, 1884, Dr. Town-
send was married to Myra M. Hawthorne,
a native of Upper Kent, Carlton county.
New Brunswick, and the daughter of George
H. Hawthorne and wife. Dr. and Mrs.
Townsend have four children, all living.
Their names and dates of birth are as fol-
lows:- Blanche, December 8, 1885; Orvillc
J., January 18, 1888; Irwin, February 3,
1895 5 ^"d Dewitt, July 14, 1899.

Dr. Townsend has been identified with
almost the entire growth and development of
Lohrville; there was but one building, and
that a farm house, on the farm which is now
the site of a live, thrifty town, when he lo-
cated here. On Thanksgiving day of 188 1
he was one of a party of eight — all strangers
— who fnet at Gowrie and were anxious to
come to Lohrville. As there w^ere no trains
running they secured permission to use a
handcar, on which they all crowded and
worked itheir passage westward. This little
party consisted of two physicians, two mer-
chants, two harnessmakers, one lawyer and
one blacksmith, all of whom located at Lolir-
ville, except one of the harnessmakers, and
four of them still make their homes here.
They are Drs, Townsend and Craig and
Attorneys Towers and J. M. Stephens, J.
J. Flanigan erected the first building in
Lohrville and occupied it as a saloon. It is
now owned by Mrs. Quinn and is occupied
as a restaurant by M. O. Whcatley. Enos
RaJston soon after built the City Hotel and



Digitized by



Google



THE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



225



John Morrison built a saloon where the
Wilson House now stands. The first fire in
Lohrville was the burning of Morrison's
saloon in the fall of 1882. The buildings
erected the first fall and winter the town
was in existence in addition to those men-
tioned were as follows : A hardware store
and drug store, erected by L. W. Johnson;
a general store, by O. M. Hollingshead ; a
meat market, by John Back ; a general store,
hardware store and hotel, by A. W. Safely ;
a general store, by Hoi>kins & Wilkinson;
a restaurant, by J. H. Griffin ; a drug store,
by J. W. I' Ilison ; a general store, by Adams
& Dryden; a livery, by A. O. Garlock; a
saloon, by William Baldwin; and a bank,
by S. G. Crawford & Company. One of the
•queer combinations that sometimes occur in
the building up and organizing of business
in new towns in the west was shown here
during the winter of 1881-2, J. M. Stephens
and J. J. Flanigan conducting a saloon and
^hoe store in the same room.

The town was incor[X)rated during the
winter of 1883 and S. G. Crawford was
-elected mayor. The following spring Dr.
Townsend was elected as a member of the
council, a position to which he was re-elected
several terms. He was elected mayor in
1897 and again in 1898, and served until
March, 1900. He was a member of the
school board from 1890 to 1900, being presi-
dent of the board for several years. He en-
tered the campaign of 1899 ^s a candidate
for state representative with J. C. Lowry,
of Pomeroy, and R. A. Horton, of Manson,
as candidates for nomination against him.
About the middle of the campaign Mr. Hor-
ton withdrew and the contest was a spirited
one from that time until the primaries, when
the votes were counted and it was found that
Dr. Townsend had three hundred and one



more than Mr. Lowry, and consequently re-
ceived the nomination, which in that strong
Republican district meant election. In 1901
he was again a candidate for the same office
and received the nomination of his party
without contest, and was re-elected, thus
serving in the twenty-eighth and twenty-
ninth general assemblies of the legislature,
where he made a record for careful, con-
servative work, of which he may justly feel
proud. As a Republican he has always
taken a lively interest in promoting the wel-
fare of the party, and his official duties have
been creditably and satisfactorily discharged.
He is a member of the Republican Grant club
of Des Moines, Iowa.

Dr. Townsend also belongs to the follow-
ing civic societies : Zerrubbabel Lodge, No.
240, A. F. & A. M. ; Cypress Chapter, No.
99, R. A. M. ; Rose Croix Commandery, No.
38, K. T. ; Lohrville Lodge, No. 469, I. O.
O. F. The last named lodge was organized
at Lohrville, August 3, 1882, with the char-
ter members as follows : D. J. Townsend, H.
R. Howell, James Herring, B. F. Howell
and Daniel Lowe. The Doctor is a public-
spirited and progressive citizen and gives his
support to all measures for the public good
and welfare of the community in which he
lives.



MARION E. HUTCHISON.

In the field of political and professional
activity Marion E. Hutchison has won dis-
tinction and is today numbered among the
leading influential and honored residents of
Lake City. In his practice of law he has
shown himself familiar with the principles
of jurisprudence and with precedent and is
now capably filling the position of county



Digitized by



Google



THE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



^ In his private practice he is asso
vith J. W. Jacobs, under the firm
f Hutchison & Jacobs, and the large
e which they retain is an indication
anfidence reposed in their abiHty by
lie.

Hutchison was bom in Lake City,
' 31, 1871, and is a son of S. T. and
h (Hold) Hutchison, both of whom
tives of Ohio, but their niarriage was
ed in Lake City. Their children
^iola A., wife of R. G. Pinney, of
i; J. F., connected with the Rockwell
nk ; Jessie B., the wife of William C.
VdihcT E., who died in the Philippine

Lucy M. and Lucian, twins, both
d, the former having passed away
m years of age, and the latter in in-
George G., attending school in Iowa
Raymond O. ; Corinne H., at home;
irion E., the subject of this review,
the usual age Maron E. Hutchison

the public schools of Lake City and
^mpleting the high-school course was
lated in Drake University in 1889,
jmaining as a student for two years,
with a broad general knowledge
;erved as the foundation upon which

the superstructure of professional
l^ he entered the law school of the
University in the fall of 1891 and was
ed in June, 1893. Immediately af-
l he began the practice in his native
ere he has since remained and grad-
s clientage has increased both in voJ-
d importance. He handles his cases
asterly skill and is strong in argu-
>riginal in his deductions and force-
is presentation of a cause. Mr. Hutch-
is ben very prominent in political
his opinions carrying weight and in-

in the councils of his party. From



1893 ^^ril ^898 he was a miember of the
Republican county central committee and
in 1896 he was elected city attorney, filling
the position for four years. In the faU of
1900 he was elected county attorney of Cal-
houn county and will continue in the office
until January, 1903. He has attendied sev-
eral of the state conventions and his in-
fluence and support are ever given to the
party in which he so firmly believes. He is
now serving as local attorney for the Chi-
cago & Northwestern Railway Company,
for the First National Bank, and for the
Lake City Electric Company, and of the
last named he is one of the stockholders.

On the 2 1 St of October, 1894, was cele-
brated the marriage of Mr. Hutchison and
Miss Ida E. Townsend, a daugliter of S. H.
Townsend, of Lake City, and they now have
two interesting children — Hildred E., born
November 23, 1895, and Samuel T., born
December 16, 1899. Socially Mr. Hutchi-
son is connected with the Benevolent Pro-
tective Order of Elks. He is of a genial
nature and ' gentlemanly bearing, which
characteristics are evidences of a commend-
able character, and he is one of the popular
and esteemed residents of Calhoun county.



GEORGE J. DEHART.

George J. Dehart, one of the leading
farmers of Calhoun township, whose home
is on section 23, came to this state about
1874, and has made his home in Calhoun
county since May, 1881. He was born on
the loth of September, 1835, in Monroe
county^ West Virginia, of which county his
father, Samuel Dehart, was also a ^native.
His paternal grandfather, Abraham Dfhart,



Digitized by



Google



THE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



227^



was' bom in France, and with two brothers
came to the new world with General La
Fayette, all of them aiding the colonies in
their struggle for independence as soldiers
in the Revolutionary war. When peace
was restored Abraham Dehart located in
Monroe county. West Virginia, being one
of the first settlers of that section. There
his son, Samuel, grew to manhood and mar-
ried Sophia Spade, a native of Virginia and
a daughter of John Spade, who was also a
soldier of the Revolutionary war. He was
a German by birth, being one of the soldiers
employed by the English in their efforts to
subdue the colonies. He was captured by
the colonial forces and paroled, but remained
with the American army, not caring to be
exchanged. Later he settled in Virginia,
but was married in Maryland. During his
active business life Samuel Dehart followed
farming and continued to make his home in
West Virginia until called to his final rest
in 1882. His wife survived him som»e time
and passed away in 1894.

Upon the old home farm in West Vir-
ginia George J. Dehart passed his boyhood
and youth, remaining with his father until
grown. He then worked by the month as a
farm hand for a few years, and subsequently
bought a farm in his native county, which
he operated for "several years. In early life
he entered the state militia, and rose to the
rank of second lieutenant. After the Civil
war broke out he was induced to join the
Confederate army and became a member of
Company D, Twenty-seventh Virginia In-
fantry, which wa5 first under the command
of Greneral Stonewall Jackson, and later un-
der General Robert E. Lee. During the first
battle of Bull Run he received a gunshot



wound, but was not disabled, and remained
in the service for nearly three years.

Mr. Dehart was first married in Green-
brier county. West Virginia, August 28,
i860, to Miss Sarah F. Skaggs, a daughter
of David J. Skaggs. She was born in In«
diana, but was reared in West Virginia. In
1869 Mr. Dehart removed to Alton, Illinois,
where he engaged in farming for two years,
and then spent a year and a half at Bloom-
ington. Coming to Iowa in 1874 he first
located in Carroll county, where he engaged
in farming one season, and then removed
across the boundary line into Sac county
where the following three years were passed.
At the end of that period he returned to
Carroll county and made his home there un-
til coming to Calhoun county in 1881, I0-'
eating on a tract of eighty acres in Calhoun
township, which he had purchased se\^eral
years previously. After building a small
house upon the place he began to break the
land and improve his farm, and subsequent-
ly added to it until he now has a quarter sec-
tion. Mr. Dehart has since enlarged and
impro\'ed his residence, has erected* conven-
ient outbuildings, has set out fruit and shade
trees, and n-^ade many other useful and val-
uable improvements. He raises a good
grade of stock, and although he started out
in life with no capital he has steadily pros-'
pered through his own well directed efforts,
being a good business man and a thorough
and systematic farmer.

Mr. Dehart's first wife died in this coun-
ty, October 20, 1885, leaving five children,
namely: James f., who is now married
and resides in Kansas; Virginia Alice, wife
of Sherman Peterson, of Lake City, Iowa;
Emma Susan, wife of William Borden, of



Digitized by



Google



THE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Illinois; Frank, who is with his
n Kansas; and May, at home. On
f June, 1888, Mr. Dehart was again

in Calhoun county, his second un-
f with Miss Sarah Corty, who was
[ reared in DeKaJb county, Illinois,

daughter of Daniel Corey of that

By this marriage two children
n born: John C. and Mary Cajo-

lys a strong temperance man Mr.
s now identified with the Prohibi-
:y and is a stanch supporter of its
s. He takes an active interest in
lal affairs and most efficiently
> a member of tlie school board for
rs. He and his wife are both eam-
consistent members of the Baptist
)f Lake City and are held in the
•egard by aJl who know tbem.



CLIFTON A. BATES.

on A. Bates, a well known repre-
I of the operative department of rail-
vice in Lake City, has for a hn-"^
een connected with the Chicago &
tstern Railway Company and is; now
ts engineers, running betw^een Lake
1 Des Moines. He was bom on In-
d in Wisconsin, April 21, 1858, a
Andrew J. and Jane (Ackerman)
he former a native of New York,
le latter was born in the Buckeye
n the year 1837 the family removed
esota and there the father purchased
which he continued to cultivate until
hen hie took up his abode in Waseca.
e engaged in the lumber business un-
— the year of his removal to Spo-



kane, Washington, where his widow still re-
sides. His dearth occurred on the loth of
March, 1894. Unto them were bom the
following children: Hazen, now deceased;
Ernest, a resident of Spokane; Clifton A.,
of this review; Libbie, the wife of John
Grant, of Spokane; E. G., who is an engi-
neer employed by the Chicago & North-
western Railway Con^ny and makes his
home in Tama, Iowa; and B. B., a brakes-
man residing in Eagle Grove, Iowa,

Mr. Bates of this review spent the first
nine years of his life in his native state and
then accompanied his parents to Minnesota,
where he continued his educaticni, which had
b^^n in the schools of Wisconsin. He re-
mained at home until 1879, and then started
out in life on his own account. He resided
in Eagle Grove, Iowa, from 1882 until -890,
and then came to Lake City, where he has
since made his home. He began his rail-
road work as a brakesman on the Winona &
St. Peter Railroad, and after being em-
plo>'^d in that capacity for three years, he
entered the employ of the Chcago & North-
western Railroad Company, in 1882, in the
capacity of a fireman, running out of Eagle
Grove on the northern Iowa division. He
thus served for three years, and on the 2d
of September, 1885, ^^ ^vc»s promoted to en-
gineer, w4iile in October, 1899, he wtas as-
signed to a passenger train and is now run-
ning betw^een Lake City and Des Moines.
^ The only accident which he has ever had oc-
curred in 1893, when he ran into some cattle
on the track and the engine and five cars
wiere derailed but nobody w^as injured. He
exercises the greatest care in the performr
ance of his duties and is regarded as one of
the most safe aaid reliable engineers in the
service.



Digitized by



Google



THE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



229



On the 291th of October, 1888, Mr.
Bates married Miss Lizzie Sadler, of Eag^le
Giove, but 00 Ae lotfa of Mardb, 1894, he
was called upon to mourn the loss of his
wife, who died on that date, leaving many
friends. He is a well known and esteemed
Mason, belonging to Zerubbabel lodge, also
to the chapter and commandery, the last
named being in Sac City. He also holds
membership relations with the Knights of
Pythias Lodge in Lake City and with the
Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, in
which he is insurance collector. He has
made judicious investments of hiis savings
and is the owner of property in Eagle Grove
and a fruit farm in Washington. These
are the visible evidlcnce of his life of dili-
gence and perseverance. He is a self-made
man and aill that he possesses has come to
him as the merited reward of earnest and
honest labor.



JAMES M. MILLER.

James M. Miller, an honored veteran of
the Civil war, is a representative of railroad
interests, being an engineer in the service of
the Chicago & Narth-western Railway Com-
pany, and is equally well known in connec-
tion with the woric of the Young Men's
Christian Association. He has a very wide
acquaintance in this portion of the state, as
w^ell as in Lake City, where fie makes his
home, and all who know him entertain for
him high r^rard in recognition of his many
splendid qualities of heart and mind. Yet
few men are more free from ostentation and
display than Mr. Miller, but he has been so
loyal in citienship, so reliable in business and
so trustworthy in all life's relations that his



fellow men, in consequence, entertain for
him the highest respect. •

Mr. Miller was born in Iberia, Ohio,
June 2, 1842. His father, John Miller, was
born December 16, 181 5, in Pennsylvania,
and after attaining to man s estate married
Miss Lucinda Marshall, whose birth oc-
curred in Ohio, March 12, 18 19. In 185 1
they removed with their family to Washing-
ton county, Iowa. The father died' in War-
ren county, Iowa, November 4, 1883, ^^^
his wife passed awtay December 26, 1874.
They were the parents of the following
namied: Esther J., who was born July 25,
1839, became the wife of James Wilson, of
Washington, Iowa, and both are now de-
ceased, the wife passing away December 13,
1874; Emily E. born' August 31, 1840, is
the wife of James My6rs, of Sheridan, Iowa;
James Marshall was born June 2, 1842;
John W., born in Ohio, December 22, 1843,
is now in the west; Jeanette, born June 26,
1846, is the wife of Joseph Pressley, now de-
ceased; Lucinda, bom August 12, 1847, died
on the 1 2th of July, 1849; George W., who
was born August 2, 1850, and was an engi-
neer, was killed in a railroad collision on the
Rock Island railroad near Ottumwa, Iowa;
Mary A., born in Washington county, Iowa,
August 2, 1855, died July 8, 1890; Joseph
A., born January 26, 1857, was a locomotive
engineer and was killed in a wreck on the
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroad, near
Pueblo, Colorado, October 8, 1892; Willis
was born August 5, 1859; and Ralph E.,
bom March 10, 1862, died December 31,
1866.

When nine years of age James M. Miller
accompanied his parents to Iowa, the family
locating in Dutch Creek township, Wash-
ington county. After acquiring his prelim-
inary education, he became a student in the



Digitized by



Google



THE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Washington, Iowa, and was there
lis studies when the Civil war was
&d, in April, 1861. Together witli
LIT other students from that ool-
ffered bis services to the govem-
oming a member of Company H,
>wa Infantry, April 16, 1861, be-
red in May 27th as a private. He
oted to corporal, then to sergeant
vard to second lieutenant of Com-
Fifty-fifth United States Colored
at Corinth, Mississippi, alx)Ut the
ay, 1863. While a meml^er of the
J participated in the engagement at
lelson, Febniary 15, 1862, and
Lpril 6 and 7, 1862, receiving a
and on the second day of the l)attle.
ipated in the advance on Corinth
1st to the 29th of May, and was
skinnishes during that time. On
id 4th of October he was in the
[Corinth, being in the thickest of^tlie
\xAh d'ays. He was in the battle
Bear creek, November 28, 1862,
^k, in April, 1863, and in the fol-
>nth was made second lieutenant of
A, Fifty-f^fth United States Col-
ntr\', with which he went to Mem-
nessee, wliere he did garrison duty
t, 1864. The command was tlien
lit on a raid by General Sturges,
he enemy on the loth and nth of
Georgetown, Mississippi, the Con-
out-numbering the Union troops
)ne. The latter were driven back
;on and of his company of seventy-
Lieutenant Miller lost all but four-
ter six days of hard marching and
mything to eat, he was captured
lin twelve miles of the Union pick-
:h fourteen others he was taken to



Oxford, Mississippi, where they w^ere held
ais prisoners for a few days. There Mr.
Miller made a desperate aittempt to escape
and was punished for this by being separated
from the rest of the company and sent south
to Granada, Mississippi, where he and fort}*-
one others were placed in a jail used for pris-
oners of war. Ten days later they were
notified that they would be taken to Ander-
sonville prison, so again Mr. Miller made an
effort for lil^erty. Joseph Gould", of the
Ninth Minnesota, and our subject succeeded
in prj-ing one of the iron bars from across
tlie window and thus made their escape. It
was a desi>erate chance, but they took it and
won. The others, however, remained be-
hind rather thin take the risk. After six-
teen days and nights, during which time they
endured great hairdships from- starvation
and exposure, they reached' the Mississippi
river at Horseshoe Bend, nine miles above
the mouth of White riv^er. They had little
clothing and were almost utterly exhausted.
However, tliey secured a plank from the
bushes, where it had lodged in time of high
water, and in this way the)^ managed to float
out upon the river, where they were picked
up by Union boats and taken to Menipliis,
Tennessee. Soon afterward, Mr. Miller was
commissioned* first lieutenant of Company
D, of the same regiment, and did garrison
dn.ity at Pbrt Hudson and Baton Rouge^
Louisiana, until the close of the war, w^hen
be was mustered out at Vicksburg with a
most creditable military record, extending
from April 16, 1861, until Januarj^ 5, 1866.
Few men are more familiar witli the hard-
ships of war and certainly he deserves great
credit, for he was a brave and loyal soldier
and never wavered in his allegiance to the
old flag from the time it was first fired upon



Digitized by



Google



THE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



231



until it was planted in the capital of the
Confederacy.

About 1868 Mr. Miller came to Boone,
Iowa, and entered the service of the Chicago
& Northwestern Railway as check clerk,
freight and baggage handler. From Boone
he removed to the city of Chicago, Illinois.
In 1 87 1 he again entered the service of the
Chicago & Northwestern Railway Com-
I>ajiy, as a fireman running out of Chicago
for some time. He fired on the Galena di-
vision for five and one-half years, running
between Chicago, Clinton and Freeport, and
in December, 1877, he was promoted to the
pjKDSition of engineer, in which capacity he
has since served, remaining on the same
division until 1 881. In that year he was
transferred to the Northern Iowa division,
and ran an engine on the construction work
into Dakota. He was on that division fo«r
one year in the freight service, and in 1884
w*as given a passenger run, since which time
he has served in that capacity, being one of
the most careful engineers on the line, realiz-
ing fully the obligation and responsibilit);
that devolve upon him as the custodian of
the lives of all who ride upon his train.

Mr. Miller has been very prominent in
connection with the Young Men's Christian
Association. He w^s one of three men ap-
pointed to act as the state deputation of the
Railway Y. M. C. A., doing evangelistic
work all over the state, organizing local as-
sociations in all parts of Iowa. For eight
years he gave much of his time to his labors
in that connection. He established an asso-
ciation among railway men in Lake City
and his influence in this direction has been
most marked, while his efforts have been
very effective.

Mr. Miller was* married to Mary C. Lit-
-wiler, of Crawford) county, Pennsylvania,



Online LibraryS.J. Clarke Publishing CompanyA biographical record of Calhoun County, Iowa → online text (page 29 of 71)