about 1794, lived on the place seventy-five years. Besides
being a farmer, he owned the paper mill and manufactured
paper. His two sons, the fourth William and Lucius, were
associated with him. It may be proper to say that for
soundness of judgment and large business capacity, the third
WiUiam Clark stood high in the community. He and
his son William deceased near the same time, in 1869.
Though the homestead has mostly passed into other hands,
yet the widow of the fourth William and her daugh-
ters, still hold and occupy the dwelling, which for sixty
years has stood on a corner of this estate. Has continued
into the fifth generation from one hundred and twenty-three
to one hundred and thirty-five years.
Homestead number forty-two. The second Elias Lyman,
South Farms. Born in that part of the town in 1740, and
in 1764 married Hannah, daughter of Jonathan Clapp, a
major in the militia, son of Capt. Eoger. The same year
built about a mile north of his father's, not far from Rock
Ferry, where his nine children were born. Kept a public
house, which continued through two generations, nearly one
152 ANTIQUITIES AND HISTOEICALS.
hundred years. Prospered in his undertakings, educated two
of his sons at Dartmouth College. One of the two, Simeon,
spent several years in London, secretary to Gen. William
Lyman, U. S. Minister, also of Northampton. Some of his
descendants, through his daughter Elizabeth, are known for
their literary abilities. Asahel, his fourth son, a sterling
man, lived with his father and continued there in all eighty-
eight years, till 1864. Managed the estate with great pru-
dence, and successfully. His wife, Lucy Parsons, of Conway,
with whom he lived three score years, spent her last days
with their only child, Mrs. J. P. Williston. She lived to be
over ninety. The father and the son, Elias and Asahel,
occupied the homestead just a century, 1764-1864. Thus
Lieut. John Lyman's descendants, see homestead number ten,
lived at South Farms, on the two homesteads, 1687-1864,
one hundred and seventy-seven years.
Homestead number forty-three. Noah Bridgman, North
Farms. Originally, the settlers called this part of the town,
Horse Mountain, for the following reason: After completing
the spring work, they turned out their horses and cattle to
feed on this eminence, some four miles away from the vil-
lage. It is not properly a mountain, but a moderately ele-
vated hill. It corresponded to what Western people style
*^Oak openings." In process of time, the settlers gave it
the name of Horse Mountain, and so it uniformly went. Of
late years, another and preferable name has been substituted,
viz. : North Farms. The Bridgmans first led the way thither.
The Indians, quelled on the cessation of the French and In-
dian war, attention soon began to be turned in that direction.
To encourage emigration, the town voted Noah Bridgman a
tract of land in Horse Mountain. The date of this vote
cannot be given. Unfortunately on many accounts, the
ANCIEifT NORTHAMPTON" HOMESTEADS. 153
Northampton records covering this period, 1754-1772, are
missing. It is supposed, however, to have been about
1759. The Noah Bridgman referred to was the second of
that name. The first Noah was of the fourth generation
from James, the settler, who died 1676; the second from
James, viz.: John, died 1712; the third. Deliverance, de-
ceased 1738; the fourth, Noah, born 1705, married Mehit-
able Warner, 1731. His son, the second Noah, born about
1733, married, 1759, Mercy Clark, daughter of Joseph
Clark, a farmer at Southampton, son of the first Nathan-
iel on South street. These two Noahs, father and son,
were together in their removal to their new home. The
date of the son's marriage is important, 1759. He was
then twenty-six, just starting in life. The father, then
fifty-four, followed the fortunes of his son in leaving the
center of civilization. He lived at Horse Mountain, 1759-
76, seventeen years. His widow survived him there eighteen
years, 1794, aged eighty-six. Noah, the second, outlived his
father forty-four years, 1820, and reached the age of eighty-
seven. Had at least two sons, Joseph and Noah. Joseph
married Mary Judd, 1796, the daughter of his neighbor,
William Judd. She was grandmother of S. E. Bridgman
and Edward P. Bridgman. Whole number of Joseph's and
Mary's children, eight: Sylvester, John, Ansel, Theodore,
and others. Theodore still lives in Cleveland, 0. Ansel en-
tered the ministry and settled at Huntsburg, 0., and died
1838, while pastor of the church in that town, an excellent,
highly esteemed, useful minister.
Joseph's line on the homestead was continued through his
second son, John, who occupied it till his death, 1860, when
it passed into other hands. Four generations of Bridgmans
into the fifth, lived upon it one hundred and one years. Here
154 ANTIQUITIES AND HISTORICALS.
a few words may be inserted respecting the third Noah
Bridgman, brother of Joseph. He also found a wife at
Horse Mountain, viz.: Asenath Judd, daughter of William,
married 1804. Among the number of their children may be
mentioned Rev. Lewis, preaching at the "West, and Miss
Lucinda, now living at Huntsburg, Ohio. After spending
over thirty years of married life at Horse Mountain, the
third Noah moved, 1835 or 1836, to Huntsburg, 0., where
he died at an advanced age, and where also his wife died.
The three Noahs lived, each, over threescore and ten, and
the second one far on toward ninety. The Bridgman family,
which started so well the North Farms settlement in 1759,
a name so thriving there in 1820, has now quite entirely
disappeared from the place. Not one remains.
Homestead number forty-four. William Judd, nephew of
the Thomas, who settled at South Farms, 1730. See home-
stead thirty-seven. William Judd, Sr., lived where William R.
Clapp's sash and blind shop now stands, the home-lot extend-
ing to the brook east of the depot. Between William Judd,
Jr., the oldest of six children, and the second Noah Bridg-
man, notice the following points of resemblance: Both
were born about the same year, 1733. Both married the
same year, 1759. Both settled at Horse Mountain. Their
families intermarried. Date of William Judd's settlement
at North Farms, ninety-seven years ago, 1784. His young-
est child was a few weeks old when he moved there. He
reared a family of eleven children, and deceased 1807, in
his seventy-fifth year. Eunice, the oldest, always infirm,
remained unmarried, and nearly completed her eighty-eighth
year, 1847. His youngest died four years ago in her ninety-
fourth year. William's line continued on the homestead
through Warham, the second prominent Judd name there,
ANCIENT KORTHAMPTOK HOMESTEADS. 155
the first son of the eleven children, born 1769. Lived on
the same hill till his decease, 1843. Of his eight chil-
dren, only two continued beyond infancy. One of the two,
William, born 1810, still lives at Horse Mountain. His
stepmother, widow Charity Look, Warham Judd's third
wife, from South Hadley, married 1829, still lives on the
original homestead. Venerable for years, she is one of the
oldest persons in Northampton, having passed her ninety-
fourth birthday, and from the time of her first coming to
North Farms, 1829, has been a member of the First Church.
Four generations of that branch of the Judd race have lived
on that ancient homestead. During the more than half a
century of widow Charity's connection with the Judd family,
it has undergone numerous changes. Widely scattered, only
one of the name, William Judd, remains at North Farms.
Homestead number forty-five. Daniel Warner, same as
Joseph's, Bear Hill, or the Warner district, beyond Florence.
Daniel was of the third generation of the Northampton
Warners. Mark Warner, of the first, settled in Hadley
about 1670, where he married the next year. Removed to
Northampton 1687. Bought, 1694, a homestead, which in-
cluded the corner where John Clarke, the banker, long after
owned and lived. After some twenty years, sold, went to
Westfield, returned late in life to Northampton, where he
died 1738. The record does not give his exact age. Ac-
cording to a family tradition, he was ninety-two.
His son, the second Mark, born at Hadley, 1677, married
Lydia Phelps, 1701, lived at Blackpole, same as Prospect
street continued, died 1766, in his ninetieth year. Had
eleven children вАФ seven daughters. Mehitable, as already
stated, married, 1731, the first Noah Bridgman. Daniel, the
eighth child, born 1717, married, 1746, Jemima, daughter of
156 ANTIQUITIES AND HISTORICALS.
Samuel Wright. Date of his removal from Blackpole to
what went by the name of Bear Hill, beyond Florence, not
definitely fixed. Supposed to be near the time the Bridg-
man family went to North Farms, viz. : 1759. The same
reason that retarded the settlement at Horse Mountain, de-
layed the one at Bear Hill, viz. : insecurity arising from In-
dian assaults. That removed by the termination of the
French and Indian war, settlements soon followed in the
outskirts, north and west from the center. The fire de-
stroyed the house erected by Daniel Warner, 1790, fourteen
years previous to his death. It stood ten rods in the rear of
the one now owned and occupied by his descendant, John
Flavel Warner. That first dwelling and the Fairfield place,
in Haydenville, were the only ones, when built, between
Blackpole and Williamsburg. Here, and in the one after-
wards built, Daniel Warner lived about forty-five years, till
1804, having attained his eighty-eighth year. His wife sur-
vived him nine years, reaching her ninety-second year. Of
his seven children, five were daughters, and all married. His
son and successor, the first Joseph, born 1751, married, 1779,
Jerusha Edwards, sister of Justin, who moved to Westhamp-
ton, father of Kev. Dr. Justin Edwards, whose name was
such a tower of strength to the temperance movement.
Joseph Warner and wife lived together fifty-four years, 1779-
1833. Had eleven children, seven sons and four daughters.
Oliver, Solomon, and Joseph, settled near each other, hence
the name, Warner district. He deceased, 1836, aged eighty-
four, the youngest of the three preceding ancestors. Con-
tinued his church going habits until quite old.
Joseph, son of Joseph, the preceding, born 1789, married
1814, was the third on the homestead. Had six children.
Educated his first-born at Williams College. Deceased 1840,
ANCIENT NORTHAMPTON HOMESTEADS. 157
aged fifty-one. His widow survived him twenty-eight years.
The third Joseph, after graduating, 1841, engaged in the
manufacture of sewing silk, near Florence, having various
partners, it is said, always prospering. From 1860 to 1873,
conducted the business alone. **His skein sewing silk held
the highest position in the markets." A man of true worth,
the better known, the better appreciated. Deceased 1877,
not quite sixty. The father of two children. The oldest,
Luther J. Warner, a graduate, continues the business.
The youngest of the second Joseph, viz. : John Flavel
Warner, remains on the homestead. The present commo-
dious dwelling is the third occupied by the family since 1759.
John F. Warner, the father of seven children, has been se-
lectman several times, and also a representative to the legis-
lature. The homestead has continued into the fifth genera-
tion of Daniel's line, one hundred and twenty-two years.
What may be called the tea story, connected with Daniel
Warner's wife, may be new to some of that race, as also to
others. Her maiden name was Jemima Wright, daughter of
Samuel. Born 1722, she lived several years in Col. Timothy
Dwight's family. The house stood on the corner of Market
and Walnut streets. She used to tell her grandchildren,
eleven in number, Oliver, Solomon, Professor Aaron, Josej)h,
and others, that the first tea ever had in Northampton was
sent to Col. Dwight by a friend in Boston, and was not
called tea, but simply **bohea." She said that they, in their
ignorance of the article, instead of using a spoonful, more
or less, steeped the whole at once, a quarter of a pound, as
they would make an herb drink; and that it was so bitter
they could not drink it, and threw it away in disgust. Such
was the first experience in tea-making and tea-drinking in
Northampton previous to 1746.
158 ANTIQUITIES AND HISTORICALS.
Homestead number forty-six. Nathaniel Edwards, 3d,
Koberts Meadow. As previously stated, the name of that
locality comes from Robert, the youngest brother of the first
Richard Lyman, in Northampton. Exceedingly fond of
roving, sporting practices, he spent much time, to the dis-
comfort of his large family, which lived on Hawley street,
hunting, trapping, fishing, and the like; sometimes success-
ful, sometimes otherwise, his favorite places of resort situated
in the west part of the town. Hence those familiar locali-
ties, Roberts Hill, Roberts Meadow, took their name from
him. In the end, according to tradition, it proved a dan-
gerous pastime. He was found frozen in the forest, where
he had fallen in pursuit of his game. Public records indi-
cate that he first discovered the Westhampton lead mines.
Originally, before any attempts at setttlement were made,
Roberts Meadow, including also most of the territory of
Westhampton, went by the name of Long Division. Thus,
it is said. Col. Timothy Dwight of Northampton, wealthy
for those days, who invested largely in real estate, owned at
one time a great part of Long Division.
Respecting the Roberts Meadow settlement, it was aided or
promoted by the earlier one at Westhampton. The first on
record who built there in 1771-72, just inside the Northamp-
ton line, was John E. Tucker. He erected a log structure
on the Nathaniel Edwards' farm, east of what has long been
the Joel Cook place. It was probably a temporary structure.
The next one there, and generally considered the first per-
manent settler at Roberts Meadow, was the name at the head
of this homestead, Nathaniel Edwards, 3d. He was of the
fifth generation from Alexander Edwards from Wales, who set-
tled at Welsh End, now West street. His son, the first Nathan-
iel, was born in Northampton in 1657, soon after the family
ANCIENT NORTHAMPTON HOMESTEADS. 159
arrived at the settlement. Nathaniel, Jr., born 1694, mar-
ried Mary Strong, daughter of Samuel and Ruth Strong.
Their son, Ebenezer Edwards, born in 1727, killed by the fall
of a tree in 1771, had nine children, among them Nathaniel,
3d, born in 1749, married in 1773, this last being no doubt the
date of his settlement at Roberts Meadow; except the Tucker
family, his nearest neighbors being over the line in West-
hampton. Whole number of his children, thirteen; five
died in infancy. John, aged seventy-five at his decease, in
1856, always lived on the place, a farmer and unmarried.
Nathaniel's fourth child, Asenath, married, in 1811, Rev.
Josiah Clark, pastor at Rutland, the parents of the late
Professor Josiah. His sixth, Lucy Edwards, married, in 1817,
David L. Dewey, the parents of Mrs. Josiah Clark, widow of the
Professor. Mrs. Dewey, some fifty-eight years a widow, de-
ceased in 1879, in her ninety-second year. Nathaniel Ed-
wards, 3d, innkeeper and farmer, usually went by the name
of Landlord, or more familiarly, '* Landerd " Edwards. Kept
the toll gate thirty years or so, of the turnpike running from
the east side of Roberts Hill to the east line of Pittsfield.
Lived on the homestead nearly sixty years, 1773-1832, suc-
ceeded there by his fifth child, born in 1784, Capt. David Ed-
wards, farmer and innkeeper; also connected in the tanning
business with two brothers-in-law, David L. Dewey and Leander
Moody. The homestead continued in the family, 1773-1863,
ninety years into the third generation. Mrs. H. B. Hoxie
still lives in the house opposite the old tavern stand. She
is the second daughter of Capt. David, and is now the only
descendant of Landlord Edwards living at Roberts Meadow.
A part of the old farm is still owned by her, having been in
the family one hundred and eight years. Her son, D. E.
Hoxie, of Northampton, a great-grandson of Nathaniel, the
160 ANTIQUITIES AND HISTORICALS.
innkeeper, is of the eighth generation from Alexander Ed-
wards, who settled at Welsh End.
Homestead number forty-seven. Elijah Allen's, at Roberts
Meadow. Included in the tract called Long Division, its
possession in the family dated back to the time of his father,
Joseph, who lived on King street, 1712-1779, on the corner
of King and Edwards street. In many respects an uncommon
man. Remarkable for the strength of his intellect and his
religious character, for the number of his sons who went into
the revolutionary war, five in all. Two of the five rose to
the rank of major and two were captains. Three of his
seven sons entered the ministry. His wife, Elizabeth Parsons
Allen, was that remarkable woman referred to already, who
assisted at the birth of so many children in Northampton,
full three thousand in number. As the following will show
from his will, he owned considerable land, viz. : a share
in the Square Mile Tract, so called a hundred years ago,
at Southampton. Also, at Roberts Meadow, a part of the
Long Division territory; also, a lot at Brush Hill. Sev-
eral lots in the meadows, viz. : one in Old Rainbow, one
in the Upper Meadows, and one near Middle Meadow hill.
He had a pasture in Blackpole, also land near Noah Bridg-
man's, and in other parts of the town. Of his fourteen
children, ten settled in families and received portions in
their father's will, which is a document of peculiar inter-
est, witnessed by his neighbor. Rev. John Hooker, his
wife Sarah Hooker, and Gov. Caleb Strong. Solomon, his
son, afterward, 1801-20, so useful in the ministry, of very
precious memory, received what became a homestead, out
of the Long Division territory at Roberts Meadow. As he
married in 1774, he probably located upon it at that time.
But exactly how many years he remained, and how many
AN^CIENT NORTHAMPTON HOMESTEADS. 161
of his children were born there, cannot say. It has come
down in the family that he had a child drowned in the
brook, which passed directly in front of the house, and
moreover that in the course of a single week, he killed
as many as seven bears. Whether he received a bounty
on these bears, as Major Aaron Cook did at an earlier date,
on his twenty-seven wolves, is not known. No wonder
both of these men proved such valiant soldiers and military
officers. Solomon Allen sold to his brother Elijah in 1786.
That being the date of the Shay's insurrection, in quell-
ing which he bore a conspicuous part, therefore probably
the reason of his selling the homestead at that time.
Providence had a wider, more eminent sphere for him in
his later years. Since 1786 that homestead has been held in
that branch of the Allen family. Four Elijahs, of as many
generations, have been associated with it. Elijah Allen, the
first, one of the executors of his father's will, who commenced
at Roberts Meadow, at the age of thirty, continued there, a
neighbor of Nathaniel Edwards, forty-four years, till 1830.
A man of an excellent spirit. Elijah the second, brother
of Capt. Joseph, father of Mrs. Spencer Parsons and Mrs.
Marshall Hubbard, married in 1810, Electa, daughter of the
first Joseph Warner, sister of Oliver, Solomon, Professor
Aaron, Joseph, and others. Whole number of their chil-
dren, eight. A granddaughter, Clara Minerva, daughter of
Jonathan Brewster, married, in 1856, Rev. Hiram Bing-
ham, missionary. Present residence at the Sandwich Is-
lands. The second Elijah lived on the place, 1786-1826,
forty years. Deceased four years before the first, and fol-
lowed on the homestead by his son, the third Elijah, born
in 1817, who married Lovisa Clark in 1849, daughter of Na-
than Clark, of Westhampton. Number of their children, two.
162 ANTIQUITIES AND HISTORICALS.
Has always lived on the place. His son, Eli j all Edwards,
of the fourth generation, was born in 1852. Thus the
Allen place at Eoberts Meadow has descended from father to
son, reckoning from Joseph, the original owner of the land
for at least one hundred and ten years, and probably for a
longer period, in connection with five generations.
Homestead number forty-eight. Calvin Clark, Rail Hill,
part of Leeds. The fifth of Dea. Elijah's seven sons, born
in 1770, on Elm street, in the Justin Smith house. At
twenty-two, being the year of his marriage, viz. : in 1792, settled
as aforesaid, about six miles from the center, the house then
erected stood the farthest in that direction towards the Wil-
liamsburg line. Coincident with this movement occurred
another in the same family. Calvin's brother, Dea. Luther
Clark, negotiated in 1792, with his next neighbor. Major Dan-
iel Pomeroy, for a house-lot adjoining. Seventeen years after,
1809-1860, the same became the Solomon Stoddard home-
But passing on in this account, the next Rail Hill Pio-
neer, selecting his estate a mile or more nearer the center,
was Luke Day. For fifty years, Calvin Clark and Luke
Day, members of the First Church, previous to the year
1800, were neighbors; their places, important landmarks in
that district, continue in the respective families till the pres-
ent time. Jonathan Day, son of Luke, recently deceased, has
occupied the homestead, having continued in the family in con-
nection with three generations, eighty-seven years, 1794-1881.
Another, an earlier pioneer and proprietor, whose house stood
midway between the two mentioned, was James Smith. Pre-
ceding all others, so far as known at Rail Hill, his settle-
ment dates as early as 1790; some assign 1787 as the year.
From four to six or seven years after the war of Indepen-
AKCIENT NORTHAMPTON HOMESTEADS. 163
dence would cover the time. The war ended, immediately
he started on foot with another for the west. Leaving their
families behind in Boston, but not their axes which they car-
ried on their shoulders, in due time they reach "Williamsburg,
originally spoken of as "the Hatfield addition." After pro-
viding each a log structure, the men returned for their fam-
ilies. James Smith's consisted of his wife and three or four
children. The location chosen as a home was in the south-
west part of Williamsburg. Here he lived a few years, not
later than 1790, when he changed his residence over the
Northampton line, selecting a pleasant locality, commanding
excellent scenery, the outlook no doubt at the time presented
strong attractions. There, in a house not large, and still
standing, he reared a numerous family. The father, and at
least some of the children, are remembered as tall in stature.
James, Jr., on attaining maturity, settled in the same neigh-
borhood, where he deceased in 1836, aged fifty-eight. Her-
mon, born in 1794, and therefore among the younger of the
family, lived on the old place, in a house opposite his father's.
About 1860, he sold and went to Florence, where, interested
in the past, in old times, people, localities, ways and expe-
riences, abounding in entertaining and useful information,
well posted in regard to Kail Hill encounters and incidents,
he still resides, having passed some eighty-six mile stones on
the road of human life.
But resuming the thread of Calvin Clark's history, he mar-
ried Lucy Parsons, aunt of Esq. Enos. Whole number of
their children, seven or more. Within the past twelve months,
three advanced in life, leaving a good record, have termina-
ted their earthly career. Of the first and second generations
only one survives. Dexter Clark, a resident on Maple street,
for about forty years. The homestead, now eighty-nine
164 AKTIQUITIES AKD HISTORICALS.
years, 1792-1881, in the family, continues in tlie hands of
Edward L. Clark, son of Justin, grandson of Calvin, the
second, third, and fourth generations having been born there.
The present is the third house built since 1792. It is proper
to add, and it illustrates the value of a correct early
training, the Calvin Clark family living so far from the cen-
ter, six miles, yet regularly, punctually, at all seasons at-
tended church in Northampton for nearly fifty years. In
1838, uniting with the Williamsburg church, eight miles out
of twelve, were saved each Sabbath. Of his six brothers and
one sister, Calvin lived the longest, till Feb., 1862, in his
Many the changes that passed under his observation, dur-
ing the seventy years of his Kail Hill life. Shejoherd's fac-
tory, Leeds, the various industries of that enterprising vil-
lage; Florence, with its streets, edifices, factory buildings,